Author Topic: Celebrations Thread  (Read 1648202 times)

Le North Dreamer

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
Re: Celebrations Thread
« Reply #1300 on: June 30, 2016, 02:29:38 PM »
As I had nobody to share this with (my brother is kinda mustachian but he's way behind so I don't want to downgrade his efforts) : At the time I'll cash in the rents of July (tomorrow), my GF (27) and I (27) will reach a pretty nice combined net worth of 100k :D.

Lots of happiness as we set out our FIRE plans a year ago. Still a lot of work to do on the frugality side, but we are slowly getting there!!

Cheers to all the achievements mentioned on this thread!

Cookie78

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #1301 on: July 01, 2016, 08:48:22 PM »
I just maxed my TFSA! First time ever, and I had a lot of catching up to do.

Now, to work on RRSP. Should be able to max that in 3-4 months. :)

Pooperman

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #1302 on: July 03, 2016, 05:01:00 PM »
Under contract for a house!

Slinky

• Stubble
« Reply #1303 on: July 12, 2016, 03:25:14 PM »
Reaching new highs in my retirement portfolio and opening up the possibility to hit 6 figures before the end of the year. If not, it'll be early next year. Either way, I'm looking forward to hitting that milestone!

NinetyFour

• CMTO 2023 Attendees
  • Walrus Stache
« Reply #1304 on: July 13, 2016, 07:30:38 AM »
For the first time, my:

cash + investments hit $450K

total assets hit $800K

and Net Worth hit $600K

Woo Hoo!!!  :)  :)  :)

onehair

• Bristles
« Reply #1305 on: July 13, 2016, 11:43:19 AM »
My net worth when I started tracking it here was $20536 and some small change.  Today it is $26097 according to the Excel pie chart.

ghsebldr

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
    • stevesgreenhouses
« Reply #1306 on: July 13, 2016, 05:03:42 PM »
  Just paid off our first Hawaii trip for this coming fall. 100% points gained with my new Venture card. Received card March 22nd. Booked trip early June and had the points to pay for the Hawaiian Air with upgraded seats and the Airbnb condo on the 21st floor of the Illikai.
  Gotta love those double points on everything. Pretty sure the $95 fee starting in the second year has been paid for by now too.
  Some of my vendors aren't thrilled with my new payment scheme but they won't be near us on the beach anyway.

golfreak12

• Bristles
« Reply #1307 on: July 14, 2016, 09:51:09 AM »
  Just paid off our first Hawaii trip for this coming fall. 100% points gained with my new Venture card. Received card March 22nd. Booked trip early June and had the points to pay for the Hawaiian Air with upgraded seats and the Airbnb condo on the 21st floor of the Illikai.
  Gotta love those double points on everything. Pretty sure the $95 fee starting in the second year has been paid for by now too.
  Some of my vendors aren't thrilled with my new payment scheme but they won't be near us on the beach anyway.

Nice. We will be cerebrating our 5th year anniversary and we will also be going to our first Hawaii trip.
Mine will mostly be paid for. Will use points for our plane tickets.
I have 2 free nights from my Hyatt CC and my wife also has 2 free nights. Thats 4 nights and we will only be paying for 2 or 3 nights depending on how long we will go for.

torbisen

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #1308 on: July 18, 2016, 03:34:39 PM »
Well, i am not a fully mustachian yet, and will eventually not be for some years, BUT i got through my accounts today and was really suprised. I am still using way to much money to sustain that lifestyle with only assets and dividends off them. But i got to this conclusion:  Today i am actually just 81000$ away from being out of debt. With out of debt i mean i have a big house which cost around 470000$, i have an rental apartment which costs around 300.000$ and pays around 1000$ net income a month after tax, and i also have one car, a tesla, which has a 5 year service deal and runs on almost free electricity. Off cource a real mustachian would have sold it right away as it is gonna loose its rest value of approx 53000$ in the next 8 years, but it runs pretty cheap, insuring for 714$ a year and electricity in norway are really cheap in addition to all the free superchargers. i really bought it because i think it pollutes less than a gasoline one. Me and my wife will be debt free in only 18months if we kept our self to using 6000$ of our income a month and saving 4200$ which will be the rest. If we cut down to 4700$ of spending monthly we will go debt free in 12 months instead, which would not be that difficult.
The thing is that i have kids 7 and 9 years old, and they really like their surroundings, school and house / big garden.  I realize that if me and my wife were alone, we could have sold it all in two years and started to just go around the world living cheap places, but i will not take my kids out of their school with all their friends and so. I also enjoy my work very much as a rescue helicopter pilot, but it really have some backsides. i am away from family 120days a year, and it is increasing a little bit also. But if i quit, i will not get it back, so i am still staying in there. But all in all i feel good off, and that i could choose to go fully Mustachian in a really short time if i would like to. I use all the basic tricks and know how to do it, but its a balancing act beeing 4 people in the family and all and agree on how far we are gonna take it. Bicycling to work is my big contribution to stay with one care, cycling 60miles to work today ;-). Then i stay for a week and cycle back. Just feeling happy today, and in conroll. LOVE the website ;-)

Investmenthunting

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
    • Investment Hunting
« Reply #1309 on: July 18, 2016, 04:22:11 PM »
I made my final car payment today. I'm officially debt free. I'm pretty happy with the results. I paid off a 60-month loan in 25-months.

arebelspy

• Administrator
  • Senior Mustachian
« Reply #1310 on: July 18, 2016, 05:04:40 PM »
I am a former teacher who accumulated a bunch of real estate, retired at 29, spent some time traveling the world full time and am now settled with three kids.
If you want to know more about me, this Business Insider profile tells the story pretty well.
I (rarely) blog at AdventuringAlong.com. Check out the Now page to see what I'm up to currently.

TravelJunkyQC

• Bristles
« Reply #1311 on: July 19, 2016, 07:44:41 AM »
Surpassed the 125k networth mark a few days ago! Yay!

Archivist

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #1312 on: July 22, 2016, 04:10:11 PM »
I got a promotion and a $15k raise this week! That is a third of my previous income, so definitely a big change for me.

torbisen

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #1313 on: July 25, 2016, 03:40:26 PM »
Just found out ( i am not counting my money everyday or month, just acting a little mustachian and hoping for the best, checking now and then) That my family is only 80000$ off of beeing debt free. Means that our 470.000$ House  350.000$ Rental apartment and 54000$ Tesla actually is fully ours in just 18month keeping up the savingrate ;-). Thats a good start.

couponvan

• Walrus Stache
    • My journal
« Reply #1314 on: July 26, 2016, 05:50:12 PM »
Just found out ( i am not counting my money everyday or month, just acting a little mustachian and hoping for the best, checking now and then) That my family is only 80000$ off of beeing debt free. Means that our 470.000$ House  350.000$ Rental apartment and 54000$ Tesla actually is fully ours in just 18month keeping up the savingrate ;-). Thats a good start.
I say troll...but I will bite....SELL THE TESLA. $80K-54K= $26K.  Buy a used Prius or Chevy Volt if you want to save the world on electricity. Be done in 4-6 months and have another year of your life back. 

torbisen

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #1315 on: July 27, 2016, 12:34:21 PM »
I pretty much got rid of everything else i had. An extra car, motorcycle and so. Tesla is the only electrical vehicle so far that can house the whole family with equipment and also the supercharger network works so seamless, while the other small cars have to search for one charger here and one there, different payment methodes and connectors . But last i love that car so much. In Norway it is actually "half price" because no taxes whatsoever, (we pay the same for an volkswagen passat as a Tesla here......)so all other cars are taxed to death( more tax i addition to car baseline price than the actual baseline price ) here. Of course i can buy a used one and save, but for now its staying. I know for sure it would cut of the time even more and its not saving the world either, but i actually enjoy it so much every single time i drive it ;.). I said not yet a fully mustachian ;-). I did not find my first post here, so i made two for beeing a Troll. Trolls are actually Norwegian, so that suits fine since i am from Norway.

aetherie

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #1316 on: July 27, 2016, 12:41:11 PM »
I did not find my first post here, so i made two for beeing a Troll. Trolls are actually Norwegian, so that suits fine since i am from Norway.

I like you. You can stay.

marty998

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #1317 on: July 28, 2016, 03:50:55 PM »
The old net asset ticker just clocked $800,000 for me yesterday... woohoo!

Tax refund, 5 fortnightly pay periods and annual bonus coming in the next 2 months should send it up towards $825,000 by the end of September.

mustachepungoeshere

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #1318 on: July 29, 2016, 02:27:24 AM »

Tax refund, 5 fortnightly pay periods and annual bonus coming in the next 2 months should send it up towards $825,000 by the end of September.
[/quote

Awesome, awesome achievement!

How the hell are you single? :P

couponvan

• Walrus Stache
    • My journal
« Reply #1319 on: July 29, 2016, 12:15:57 PM »
I did not find my first post here, so i made two for beeing a Troll. Trolls are actually Norwegian, so that suits fine since i am from Norway.

I like you. You can stay.

Agreed. You will take punches for that car along the way though!

In all fairness, DH just received his framed "Thank you for purchasing a Tesla" not from Mr. Musk....He's $1K down on the new cheaper version coming out next year.

Celebration thread comment....Annual bonus of posted in my checking account this morning!! Promptly sent in a mortgage payment and am heading off to pay the insurance bills ahead. Extra cash in our house equals extra spending, so I try to move it out quickly.

torbisen

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #1320 on: August 04, 2016, 02:02:50 PM »
I know there are cheaper cars, but in Norway the tax cut on it is so good, that it makes the price half of what it should have been with the same taxes as the other gasoline car. It gives me a mega grin every time i drive it, and we as a family are doing more car based vacations and trips now than flights before, so we save a little on that. Charging is also riddicilously cheap here in comparison to rest of Europe and US, so we dont even recognise on the bill that we have this car :-). It has also held its value very good, because the new ones are up about 30% due to the dollar versus the Norwegian Krone after I bought mine. If I sell now I might get 500000,- kroner while i bought it for 560000,-  thats 2,5 years ago and 50000km :). Excuses Excuses excuses of course ;-).

kylemoney

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #1321 on: August 13, 2016, 04:27:15 PM »
DW and I just hit our yearly net income goal after this past Friday's paycheck and it's only August. woop!

marty998

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #1322 on: August 14, 2016, 06:39:06 AM »
DW and I just hit our yearly net income goal after this past Friday's paycheck and it's only August. woop!

Sounds like you need a bigger and better goal :)

BeautifulDay

• Bristles
« Reply #1323 on: August 14, 2016, 12:58:09 PM »
Assets hit $100k.  (Only counting accounts, no physical assets sine we don't have a house or other large physical assets)

Inaya

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #1324 on: August 15, 2016, 10:57:34 AM »
Assets hit $100k.  (Only counting accounts, no physical assets sine we don't have a house or other large physical assets)

Congrats! Hoping to join the 100 Club by the end of the year myself.

Slinky

• Stubble
« Reply #1325 on: August 15, 2016, 03:28:11 PM »

Congrats! Hoping to join the 100 Club by the end of the year myself.

Me too! I'm looking at my retirement accounts and the total just crossed the $90k mark as of this morning's contribution.

Samba82

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #1326 on: August 26, 2016, 04:43:55 AM »
Biked in the rain and snow for the first time today.  It wasn't planned, but I didn't care.  It was about 32-34F, so hovering right above freezing, and a little breezy.

I stopped at a store and still had the helmet on, and some guy says, "Did you ride a bike today?  That's your bike out there?"

Me: "Yes sir."
Guy: "Are you crazy?"
Me: "No, I'm just a badass."

It actually got a few laughs from a few passers by.  :-)

This is _epic_.

I just cleared my last non-mortgage debt this month and started my next step, which is to build an income replacement fund to cover six months' income.

This is after a major personal finance wake-up call in October 2015, when I discovered MMM (and through MMM, YNAB and Dave Ramsey). Fortunately I wasn't in too deep to make a quick turnaround, and I'm way better off now than this time last year.

Slinky

• Stubble
« Reply #1327 on: August 26, 2016, 02:29:16 PM »
I just cleared my last non-mortgage debt this month and started my next step, which is to build an income replacement fund to cover six months' income.

Congrats!

torbisen

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #1328 on: August 31, 2016, 01:19:50 AM »
Been a semi Mustachian for a long time and beeing relatively well of because off that, our (my wife, me and two kids) can celebrate our first month on our future budget today. We got through August by these numbers:

Income: 10482$  ( 540$ over budget actually)
Spendings: 4427$ (about 20$ over budget)
Listing up the "unusual things" here.
And the month included a trip to the wet with a cat @300$,
Dentist for my wife @ 100$
Bike repair for my wifes bike @ 161$. (yes i know it could been cheaper but had to change the crank which required some special tools if i should have done it myself..)
 Also the kids went to soccer school for 110$ and i went through to parties with some old beer i had in the basement (not drinking much).
Food budget which is pretty high at 990$ was kept, just. We are buying a lot ecological which is extremely expensive here in Norway. The family also went on a mountain lodge trip which cost 90$ for the lodge :). The nice thing is that it has been a happy month for us. We find this very meaningful and the things we do ( lodging for free again this weekend) makes us happy.

Savings rate of 58% is incredible for me to have achieved!! 6055$

mires

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #1329 on: September 06, 2016, 08:04:14 PM »
3 small things for me this week

1. Reduced my phone bill by $6 to just $29 per month now
2. Got approved for Chase Freedom cash back card (my only CC)
3. Joined the MMM forum!

Inaya

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #1330 on: September 06, 2016, 08:52:10 PM »

3. Joined the MMM forum!
Great job, and welcome!

mires

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #1331 on: September 06, 2016, 09:24:05 PM »

3. Joined the MMM forum!
Great job, and welcome!

Thanks! It's great to find such a great group of like minded people.

golfreak12

• Bristles
« Reply #1332 on: September 06, 2016, 10:15:42 PM »
House just got paid off today. Exactly 3 yrs and 1 day.
Sad new is that we probably will sell the house by the end of the year and will move back to the old house thats being rented right now.
Its for her sake. For the next 2 years, she would have to drive 1 hr each way 5 days a week if we stay here.

Saskatchewstachian

• Stubble
« Reply #1333 on: September 13, 2016, 11:42:41 AM »
NW just crossed 200k and about to get my first ever dividend payment this month!

I have had a TFSA in the past but it was always kept in cash in prep for a house downpayment. Now that the house is bought and we have some money saved up we have been 'stashing it away for the last 3 month (26k in 3 months) and this will be the first month we're getting dividend payment. Since i'm new to the market I've never received any so i'm quite excited about the "free" money!

DeskJockey2028

• Pencil Stache
  • Aiming for 2028
« Reply #1334 on: September 14, 2016, 06:42:44 AM »
Little tiny celebration here. I just upped my per-check 403(b) contribution by 1% to finally hit 20% contribution level! Woo!

mousebandit

• Bristles
« Reply #1335 on: September 14, 2016, 02:48:37 PM »
We just paid off $10k in credit card debt (yes, I know!) and will be hitting our land mortgage for another $10k.  Land will be paid off in December, and house no later than March.  WOO HOO!! 

MouseBandit

TravelJunkyQC

• Bristles
« Reply #1336 on: September 16, 2016, 07:46:41 AM »
Got called in by the administrative assistant/payroll person about my RVER (retirement plan). She's new, and found that there were two paychecks a few months back when I first became eligible for the program, for which no money was taken out. She said, "so the next two paychecks, you'll find, will be smaller, since we'll be taking out double the normal amount to catch up. Obviously, we'll contribute our amount as well. Sorry about the bug!".

So, smaller paychecks for the next months, but more money in the end. Woot woot!

Ariane524

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #1337 on: September 17, 2016, 07:16:00 AM »
Hello all,

I'm technically not a newcomer as I joined about a year (?) ago, and have a couple of previous posts.  But as I now have good news to share, I figured it was a good time to introduce myself.

First, some background.  I hit the triple whammy of going for a PhD (at least it was in science), getting pregnant in the last year of my dissertation, and graduating straight into the unemployment line.  Even better, it was the end of summer, which here in the DC area means a lot of employers were dithering over hiring decisions, and I was denied unemployment because my last five years of paychecks were considered "student wages."  Fun times. 

I was unemployed for a total of 5 mos and part-timing for another 3 mos before landing my current position-- during which time our expenses went up with diapers, formula, etc (we had a preemie so certain options were off the table) and my whopping student loans coming due.  We ate a lot of boxed dinner, maxed a lot of credit cards, borrowed from friends and family to keep at least SOME of the bills paid, and went delinquent on the rest because there was nothing else we could do.  At the end of May, I finally began drawing a real paycheck-- 40% of which promptly went back out the door to daycare expenses.  BUT-- we were still technically ahead, by a narrow margin.  And so we got to work.

It's mid-September now and I'm happy to report that ALL our bills are current, we have a tiny bit in savings, and a tiny bit in investment accounts.  For the first time in a year, I made an entire grocery run during which I bought NO boxed dinners.  Even better, we carved a few hundred dollars out of the monthly budget to set aside for moving expenses in a year, to get us into a cheaper place where we can realize those savings long-term.  Longer-term, if we stick to the plan, we will effectively get a $20K/year "pay raise" when our daughter starts Kindergarten and we no longer have to pay for daycare.  We're probably not going to FIRE any time soon, as we're both late bloomers, but we now have a budget, and some savings, and a plan.  It's the little things. 

Speaking of which,  I can tell you that most of my professional wardrobe comes from the Salvation Army and that my '99 Malibu is still running (thanks to my car-savvy husband and a $20 coolant hose)-- so we are not only saving, but building the habits that will let us keep our money moving in the right direction.

If you've read this far, thanks-- and my name is Ariane, and I have a little peach fuzz.  ;)

arebelspy

• Administrator
  • Senior Mustachian
« Reply #1338 on: September 17, 2016, 08:54:59 AM »
That's awesome Ariane, I think you'll do just fine.  :)
I am a former teacher who accumulated a bunch of real estate, retired at 29, spent some time traveling the world full time and am now settled with three kids.
If you want to know more about me, this Business Insider profile tells the story pretty well.
I (rarely) blog at AdventuringAlong.com. Check out the Now page to see what I'm up to currently.

thunderball

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #1339 on: September 17, 2016, 04:16:26 PM »
Maxed both my Roth and 401K for the year.  First time for the 401K - feels pretty damn good!

Le Poisson

• CM*MW 2024 Attendees
  • Senior Mustachian
« Reply #1340 on: September 19, 2016, 06:07:15 AM »
Maxed both my Roth and 401K for the year.  First time for the 401K - feels pretty damn good!

Ability Unlocked: Savings Saviour!

MrRealEstate

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #1341 on: September 20, 2016, 05:50:03 AM »
Opened up my first admiral account in vanguard.

Increased my retirement contributions to 49% to catch up with the 10% I had throughout most of the year to max out the 18k/year limit.

Fomerly known as something

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #1342 on: September 21, 2016, 05:10:37 AM »
I updated my Homeowner insurance today so that I have a $5,000 deductible.  It saves $300 a year.

marty998

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #1343 on: September 29, 2016, 06:57:17 AM »

Smashed it. $852k today. I put the value of the properties up by a little bit in line, but just under market growth as per usual.

Have $2k in super contributions due to be paid in next Tuesday and $1000 in Company shares to be granted shortly as well.

Everything is coming up Milhouse!

:D

Moonwaves

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #1344 on: September 29, 2016, 09:48:38 AM »
The university I now work at held a seminar on pensions for internationally mobile workers yesterday and I went along. As well as gaining a bit more information, I overheard a guy from the US asking about a particular type of pension that you can buy here and talked to him afterwards and gave him some information about why in might not be the best option for him, some of the pitfalls to be aware of, as well as a website to find more information. And then I mentioned MMM and he actually wrote it down and, I think, will probably come here to look into the best ways to save and invest. I think that's worth celebrating. :)

doug111

• Stubble
« Reply #1345 on: September 30, 2016, 12:31:48 AM »
Use this thread to post your mini-accomplishments so we can celebrate with you!

If you have a bigger accomplishment, feel free to start your own thread in the Share Your Badassity section of the forums, but for small milestones, things you just want to share with someone, but don't really have anyone to share it with (besides maybe your partner), toss em out there so we can celebrate with you!
Here I go !!! Here is my mini accomplishment !!! I paid off my $115,000 30 year mortgage in ONLY 23 short months !!! It feels good to be finally debt free !!! Thanks for listening !!!

torbisen

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #1346 on: September 30, 2016, 02:30:14 PM »
Well, beeing a part mustachian for years, i figured out two months ago that we ( me and my wife ) was pretty well off, so we decided to go dor it. These two months we saved a total of 14300$ out of our total income of 23125$ these two months. Its around the 60% bracket, and its a really good start. I am so proud. The bet thing is that it makes us do more things with our kids and in the local area. We live in a beautiful area and go hiking, kayaking, bicycling, on photo trips and so. Makes us really happy while saving big time :-). Thank you for the inspiration Mr Moneymoustache.

golfreak12

• Bristles
« Reply #1347 on: October 01, 2016, 10:03:39 PM »
Hello all,

I'm technically not a newcomer as I joined about a year (?) ago, and have a couple of previous posts.  But as I now have good news to share, I figured it was a good time to introduce myself.

First, some background.  I hit the triple whammy of going for a PhD (at least it was in science), getting pregnant in the last year of my dissertation, and graduating straight into the unemployment line.  Even better, it was the end of summer, which here in the DC area means a lot of employers were dithering over hiring decisions, and I was denied unemployment because my last five years of paychecks were considered "student wages."  Fun times. 

I was unemployed for a total of 5 mos and part-timing for another 3 mos before landing my current position-- during which time our expenses went up with diapers, formula, etc (we had a preemie so certain options were off the table) and my whopping student loans coming due.  We ate a lot of boxed dinner, maxed a lot of credit cards, borrowed from friends and family to keep at least SOME of the bills paid, and went delinquent on the rest because there was nothing else we could do.  At the end of May, I finally began drawing a real paycheck-- 40% of which promptly went back out the door to daycare expenses.  BUT-- we were still technically ahead, by a narrow margin.  And so we got to work.

It's mid-September now and I'm happy to report that ALL our bills are current, we have a tiny bit in savings, and a tiny bit in investment accounts.  For the first time in a year, I made an entire grocery run during which I bought NO boxed dinners.  Even better, we carved a few hundred dollars out of the monthly budget to set aside for moving expenses in a year, to get us into a cheaper place where we can realize those savings long-term.  Longer-term, if we stick to the plan, we will effectively get a $20K/year "pay raise" when our daughter starts Kindergarten and we no longer have to pay for daycare.  We're probably not going to FIRE any time soon, as we're both late bloomers, but we now have a budget, and some savings, and a plan.  It's the little things. 

Speaking of which,  I can tell you that most of my professional wardrobe comes from the Salvation Army and that my '99 Malibu is still running (thanks to my car-savvy husband and a $20 coolant hose)-- so we are not only saving, but building the habits that will let us keep our money moving in the right direction.

If you've read this far, thanks-- and my name is Ariane, and I have a little peach fuzz.  ;)

Congrats !!! I love hearing people making their way back to financial success.

TravelJunkyQC

• Bristles
« Reply #1348 on: October 04, 2016, 06:50:11 AM »
I turned 30 last week. And yesterday, I officially became an adult (in my book) by opening my first non-tax advantaged investing account with Questrade. Have yet to make the small 4k deposit into it that I want to do, but still, I'm very happy with this present to myself.

Slinky

• Stubble
« Reply #1349 on: October 04, 2016, 10:15:48 AM »
I turned 30 last week. And yesterday, I officially became an adult (in my book) by opening my first non-tax advantaged investing account with Questrade. Have yet to make the small 4k deposit into it that I want to do, but still, I'm very happy with this present to myself.

Congrats and happy birthday!