Author Topic: Celebrations Thread  (Read 1648250 times)

LeRainDrop

• Handlebar Stache
Re: Celebrations Thread
« Reply #1250 on: April 02, 2016, 12:10:14 PM »
This doesn't have a whole lot to do with MMM, but today the most toxic person I've ever worked for (in my grown up law career, at least) moved off the project I've been working for her on.  I don't think she's an evil person, but she had me seriously contemplating whether I could get anesthesia and break my own arm to avoid continuing the project, and the poor junior employee under me has called me incoherently sobbing more or less monthly since we started working for her.

I am literally grinning like a crazy person in my empty office, despite having been in the office 17-22 hours a day every day all week, and having worked 8+ hours each of hte last three Saturdays and Sundays.

As a fellow biglaw associate who has also worked for a totally crazy, toxic partner-lady, I can totally relate to you and the hell that work environment causes.  (I was actually THRILLED a couple years ago when I found out I had to have gallbladder surgery and would get a month of FMLA!)  This news warrants a HUGE celebration!  Congrats for getting her out of your life!  Doesn't it feel unreal?
« Last Edit: April 02, 2016, 12:11:50 PM by LeRainDrop »

Check2400

• Stubble
« Reply #1251 on: April 06, 2016, 08:40:49 AM »
Paid off my last Student Loan payment.

63 months ago I made my first payment of $1500.00 towards my law school debt.  My debt was almost exactly $120,000.   

Just over five years later I'm completely and 100% done.

It makes me sick to think I paid $40,000 a year for three years to not make money or keep savings, and an additional 5 years to get to even ground, but I'm excited to see what the next 8 years of earnings that I can actually keep will do for the net worth. 

Glad I found this site to know what to do with the money now that I don't have a debt to pay down!

NinetyFour

• CMTO 2023 Attendees
  • Walrus Stache
« Reply #1252 on: April 06, 2016, 08:55:02 AM »
Wow--congrats!!  Must feel great!!

onlykelsey

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #1253 on: April 06, 2016, 09:00:23 AM »
This doesn't have a whole lot to do with MMM, but today the most toxic person I've ever worked for (in my grown up law career, at least) moved off the project I've been working for her on.  I don't think she's an evil person, but she had me seriously contemplating whether I could get anesthesia and break my own arm to avoid continuing the project, and the poor junior employee under me has called me incoherently sobbing more or less monthly since we started working for her.

I am literally grinning like a crazy person in my empty office, despite having been in the office 17-22 hours a day every day all week, and having worked 8+ hours each of hte last three Saturdays and Sundays.

As a fellow biglaw associate who has also worked for a totally crazy, toxic partner-lady, I can totally relate to you and the hell that work environment causes.  (I was actually THRILLED a couple years ago when I found out I had to have gallbladder surgery and would get a month of FMLA!)  This news warrants a HUGE celebration!  Congrats for getting her out of your life!  Doesn't it feel unreal?

I am so excited.  I think my husband is also excited that I'm not looking up ways to break my own arm.

GoConfidently

• Stubble
« Reply #1254 on: April 20, 2016, 04:06:47 PM »
Happy dancing today. One of my goals this year was to increase my income by putting myself out there and actually selling some of the art I make. It's been a struggle to feel like I'm ready and I'm horrible at self promotion, but I've really been trying and it is finally starting to pay off. I made close to $1000 this month! And even though I know this month was an anomaly and opportunities like the one I had won't always work out this way, it was a huge boost to my confidence 😀

FiveSigmas

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #1255 on: April 20, 2016, 10:24:17 PM »
Happy dancing today. One of my goals this year was to increase my income by putting myself out there and actually selling some of the art I make. It's been a struggle to feel like I'm ready and I'm horrible at self promotion, but I've really been trying and it is finally starting to pay off. I made close to $1000 this month! And even though I know this month was an anomaly and opportunities like the one I had won't always work out this way, it was a huge boost to my confidence 😀

That's excellent! Way to go GC!

.x.

• Bristles
« Reply #1256 on: April 24, 2016, 06:10:11 PM »
Happy dancing today. ... a huge boost to my confidence 😀

So great that you got to see movement towards your goal through steps you initiated.  :) Confidence boosts are good for the immune system, too!

GoConfidently

• Stubble
« Reply #1257 on: May 03, 2016, 10:33:30 AM »
Happy dancing today. ... a huge boost to my confidence 😀

So great that you got to see movement towards your goal through steps you initiated.  :) Confidence boosts are good for the immune system, too!

Thanks! It does feel great, especially today since I just made another $300. It's a good art month :)

katie

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #1258 on: May 03, 2016, 06:22:11 PM »
We paid off our mortgage today and are officially debt free with a net worth of near $1M and are mid-30's!  We sold our two rental houses this year and are working to simplify our lives.

.x.

• Bristles
« Reply #1259 on: May 03, 2016, 06:31:45 PM »
totally badass!!!

HairyUpperLip

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #1260 on: May 04, 2016, 09:30:35 AM »
We paid off our mortgage today and are officially debt free with a net worth of near $1M and are mid-30's!  We sold our two rental houses this year and are working to simplify our lives.

Nice, great job!

Did the rentals not provide good cash flow?

aperture

• Bristles
« Reply #1261 on: May 04, 2016, 09:33:30 AM »

Wow - congrats, that is fantastic.

Best wishes on your next adventure. -ap

couponvan

• Walrus Stache
    • My journal
« Reply #1262 on: May 04, 2016, 05:04:50 PM »

Congratulations - working to simplify...love it!

BeautifulDay

• Bristles
« Reply #1263 on: May 04, 2016, 10:07:27 PM »
Posting to follow. Don't want to miss any of these awesome celebrations.  Hoping to have somethings of my own to contribute soon.
« Last Edit: May 09, 2016, 05:44:28 PM by BeautifulDay »

TravelJunkyQC

• Bristles
« Reply #1264 on: May 09, 2016, 07:43:37 AM »
Not an immediate celebration per se, but a pre-emptive one.

My partner and I have wanted to buy land close to a body of water (preferably a river and preferably several acres) on the outskirts of Québec City. We currently live in a small loft downtown, which is great for commuting (bike), but we have no outdoor space and we're both dirt-rats. He likes to fish and hunt, I like to garden and watch him fish, and we both like to have peace and quiet in the woods.

Anywhoo, we are in no rush to buy, and land like this that isn't too far from the city (no longer than 20 minute commute maximum, 10 to 15 ideal), is VERY expensive. We look online on occasion and found a nice one this weekend that we went to visit. The celebration in all this is that as we were talking about it, we were both happy and grateful with each other that we could discuss the option putting down 100k in cash for a land and use a mortgage to build the house, instead of stressing out with "how would we pay for this dream?". We even high-fived and thanked each other for having the same attitude. For context, I'm 29 but have only been working for 3 years (studies), and he is starting his PhD this week and has also always been in school. Hence, over 100k in liquidity is a celebration for us that we're proud of.

Thanks for reading and being an awesomely non-judgmental and supportive group!

Orvell

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #1265 on: May 09, 2016, 07:49:14 AM »
Late reply, but that's *FANTASTIC*
I'm starting this journey too, but very slowly, and ... it's terrifying. So major kudos to you. :)))

GoConfidently

• Stubble
« Reply #1266 on: May 09, 2016, 05:36:40 PM »
Late reply, but that's *FANTASTIC*
I'm starting this journey too, but very slowly, and ... it's terrifying. So major kudos to you. :)))

Thank you! It's hard, but worth it. Good luck to you! Keep us posted and we can root for each other.

chloe1733

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #1267 on: May 09, 2016, 05:57:56 PM »
Guys....guys, guys, guys! GUYS. (And by guys I also mean gals...)

Our remaining mortgage principal is down to the five figure range -- under 100k left!

If we keep paying at our current rate, we'll pay it off completely before the end of 2018, but assuming we do a few lump deposits during that time, it'll be even sooner than that. Woot!
« Last Edit: May 14, 2016, 01:40:09 PM by chloe1733 »

Kaybee

• Stubble
« Reply #1268 on: May 15, 2016, 10:06:26 AM »
Following along to see some of the great victories others are having.  I don't think I'll have one for a little while but its encouraging to see others winning. :D

couponvan

• Walrus Stache
    • My journal
« Reply #1269 on: May 18, 2016, 09:32:38 AM »
Hosted the first Chicago MMM meetup yesterday. 30+ met up.  :-) I just want to celebrate that!! (All previous meetups on the forum had fizzled.)

jordanread

« Reply #1270 on: May 18, 2016, 10:39:40 AM »
Hosted the first Chicago MMM meetup yesterday. 30+ met up.  :-) I just want to celebrate that!! (All previous meetups on the forum had fizzled.)

And I heard it was a blast!! Way to go.

couponvan

• Walrus Stache
    • My journal
« Reply #1271 on: May 18, 2016, 12:36:24 PM »

And I heard it was a blast!! Way to go.

The funny thing is  - I was so worried people were going to either 1) not show or 2) complain it wasn't mustachian enough.

Neustache

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #1272 on: May 18, 2016, 06:31:26 PM »
Couponvan:  maybe you need to come to KC to get our meet-up finally figured out.  LOL. 

couponvan

• Walrus Stache
    • My journal
« Reply #1273 on: May 18, 2016, 07:36:29 PM »
Couponvan:  maybe you need to come to KC to get our meet-up finally figured out.  LOL.
Too funny.  Here's my advice, and I don't know if it really works or I was just lucky. Assign yourself as the "host" - set a date well in advance, pick a place and time near public transportation, and DON'T change anything - no matter how many people comment they cannot make it or your venue isn't what they would do.  (I had never seen where we met up in person, and it probably wasn't the most mustachian bar, but I knew I could find it and it was likely to still be in business.) Encourage anyone that balks to plan a future date and be the host if they cannot make the current one.  That's how we got an August meeting on the calendar already! I'd say if there is at least 1 other person showing up you are still good. :-) I went expecting maybe 4-5 people. 

Sibley

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #1274 on: May 23, 2016, 07:45:51 PM »
Too funny.  Here's my advice, and I don't know if it really works or I was just lucky. Assign yourself as the "host" - set a date well in advance, pick a place and time near public transportation, and DON'T change anything - no matter how many people comment they cannot make it or your venue isn't what they would do.  (I had never seen where we met up in person, and it probably wasn't the most mustachian bar, but I knew I could find it and it was likely to still be in business.) Encourage anyone that balks to plan a future date and be the host if they cannot make the current one.  That's how we got an August meeting on the calendar already! I'd say if there is at least 1 other person showing up you are still good. :-) I went expecting maybe 4-5 people.

Ok, I've gotta go find that August date! I had a good time :)

As for my little celebration, I bought a new to me GPS device off Ebay, and it arrived today. So it's currently updating (free lifetime map updates), and then once I have a free hour I'll take my stupid smartphone and my old dumb phone in and move back to the dumb phone. All problems have an implemented solution or a known solution for the future, and I'm very happy to cut my cell phone bill in half (if not more).

HPstache

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #1275 on: May 24, 2016, 12:15:18 AM »
I passed the Washington state professional engineering exam for which I studied 4 months.  I am so happy to have it done with!

NinetyFour

• CMTO 2023 Attendees
  • Walrus Stache
« Reply #1276 on: May 24, 2016, 03:51:58 AM »
I passed the Washington state professional engineering exam for which I studied 4 months.  I am so happy to have it done with!

Awesome--congrats!!

couponvan

• Walrus Stache
    • My journal
« Reply #1277 on: May 24, 2016, 04:44:14 AM »

That is impressive!

couponvan

• Walrus Stache
    • My journal
« Reply #1278 on: May 24, 2016, 04:49:54 AM »

Ok, I've gotta go find that August date! I had a good time :)

As for my little celebration, I bought a new to me GPS device off Ebay, and it arrived today. So it's currently updating (free lifetime map updates), and then once I have a free hour I'll take my stupid smartphone and my old dumb phone in and move back to the dumb phone. All problems have an implemented solution or a known solution for the future, and I'm very happy to cut my cell phone bill in half (if not more).

You know - i wonder whether more people might go back to less smart phones paired with a tablet. The need for data plans is much less now that so many places have wifi. Maps and the camera are the ones I use the most.

Joggernot

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #1279 on: May 24, 2016, 06:05:51 AM »
Nicely done!  What is your discipline?  Electrical, Civil, ?

HPstache

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #1280 on: May 24, 2016, 10:20:41 AM »
Nicely done!  What is your discipline?  Electrical, Civil, ?

Mechanical.  I took the Machine Design & Materials for my PM depth exam.  The test was 8 hours long, it took 7 weeks to grade and all the letter says is, "Pass"... talk about anti-climactic!  I am hoping this results in a raise... I am now qualified to be an "Engineer III" at my company which is a pretty decent bump in pay.
« Last Edit: May 24, 2016, 10:28:12 AM by v8rx7guy »

Joggernot

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #1281 on: May 24, 2016, 11:07:10 AM »
I'm pleased you have a chance for recognition and a raise.  I got nothing for my California PE in Quality.  No demand for it there and at that time.

EcoCanuck

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #1282 on: May 25, 2016, 01:00:11 AM »
Reviewed the ol finances and ran the numbers and saw that we've managed to triple our networth (savings) in the last year. There are some major changes happening this coming year but we should be able to double what we have this coming year. After that it won't look so good but here's to a few amazing years and being grateful for what we're able to achieve! :)

TravelJunkyQC

• Bristles
« Reply #1283 on: June 06, 2016, 01:48:26 PM »
Just received word that I'll be getting a company cell-phone (with my personal number, so they'll pay 100% of my phone needs as of now), as well as a partial funding for my MBA (that I'll be doing part time while working). Oh, and a 10% raise. That was the best part. This, the same week that my 401k-equivalent contribution + employer matching kicks in. So, pretty sweet all around.

seathink

• Stubble
« Reply #1284 on: June 07, 2016, 01:12:19 PM »
Paid rent, my student loan, and a $1077 credit card payment, and I still have over a thousand dollars in my bank account!!!

Check2400

• Stubble
« Reply #1285 on: June 09, 2016, 01:23:42 PM »
When I moved into my wife's place, we combined our insurance and I rented out my house.  The numbers on my mortgage just seemed to be too high.

I went in today to get a breakdown of what is going on, and they never removed the escrow draw for my first insurance company.  So I'll be getting a 1500 check and a reduction in my rental mortgage of around $80 a month!

onlykelsey

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #1286 on: June 09, 2016, 01:30:57 PM »
I'm getting a raise, and will be bringing in an extra ~7K post-tax in the back half of this year.

When I moved into my wife's place, we combined our insurance and I rented out my house.  The numbers on my mortgage just seemed to be too high.

I went in today to get a breakdown of what is going on, and they never removed the escrow draw for my first insurance company.  So I'll be getting a 1500 check and a reduction in my rental mortgage of around $80 a month!

Nice!

TravelJunkyQC

• Bristles
« Reply #1287 on: June 14, 2016, 08:43:27 AM »
Just inched over the 100k-line in invested assets. Yay! Realized while manually depositing an amount in my account today that I'll have maxed out all my tax-advantaged accounts by the end of this year (and if my condo sells, sooner than that).

Time to go shopping... for the proper taxable investment vehicle.

fidreamer

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #1288 on: June 14, 2016, 04:32:54 PM »
I just applied for a jobshare position which means going from 5 days a week to 2.5 days a week.  Things have been getting tiresome at work.  The proverbial straw that broke the camel's back was a recent contentious meeting after which I wheeled my chair over to my phone and called HR.  My co-workers were stunned.  ; )

Bicycle_B

• Handlebar Stache
  • Mustachian-ish in Live Music Capital of the World
« Reply #1289 on: June 14, 2016, 05:00:17 PM »

The point of FI is to be happy, free...confident.  By expanding your world, you're achieving the goal long before you reach mere FI.  Great stuff!!!!!

Zaga

• Magnum Stache
    • A Wall of Hats
« Reply #1290 on: June 16, 2016, 04:32:51 PM »
I just looked at my graph, every month so far in 2016 we have saved more than we spent, and June is on track for the same!

The previous 3 years we only managed to do that 5 total months, so this is quite the improvement!

onlykelsey

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #1291 on: June 17, 2016, 08:17:14 AM »
My base comp bumped up, should take home an unexpected 7K this year post-taxes.

PARedbeard

• Stubble
« Reply #1292 on: June 21, 2016, 11:55:30 AM »
Car payment is done! The only debt left in my life is a low-interest mortgage!

BeautifulDay

• Bristles
« Reply #1293 on: June 23, 2016, 09:54:13 PM »
Car payment is done! The only debt left in my life is a low-interest mortgage!

Way to go PAR! That is my major goal. I'm right behind you.

Mongoose

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #1294 on: June 25, 2016, 06:15:42 AM »
Debt free except for the house (with some savings this time so it will "take")!

erae

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #1295 on: June 29, 2016, 04:34:09 AM »
Investments broke 200k this morning. While the progress in $$ is great, the fact that we projected we'd hit this milestone around mid-year is in some ways more reassuring as we build trust in our own projections.

TravelJunkyQC

• Bristles
« Reply #1296 on: June 29, 2016, 07:14:46 AM »
I had a goal for myself of having 100k in non-real-estate investments by the time I hit 30. I've just surpassed it and have 3 more months to add to it. If my condo sells in the meantime, I could maybe even hit 150k!

couponvan

• Walrus Stache
    • My journal
« Reply #1297 on: June 29, 2016, 10:49:50 AM »
Debt free except for the house (with some savings this time so it will "take")!

Woo hoo!

sun and sand

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #1298 on: June 29, 2016, 06:26:27 PM »
Finished furnishing my renovated beach house and was hesitant to rent out but knew I needed to in order to cover taxes and utilities. In the 3 months since it has been online, it has over 54k in bookings.  I am glad that there will be money left over to invest after all utilities are paid. I get excited every time the rental company sends me a new booking.  Even better---the $ is in USD.   Extra $ will be converted to CAD.

DeskJockey2028

• Pencil Stache
  • Aiming for 2028
« Reply #1299 on: June 30, 2016, 10:31:27 AM »
Just figured out my net worth for the first time in years - and I'm at $232k. That's one big part of putting us on track to my wife retiring at 58 and my retiring at 59. In a few months, if things continue as they are, I should cross $100k in my 403(b) too.  Yay!

Wow, a phone plan for fifteen bucks!