Author Topic: Celebrations Thread  (Read 404492 times)

Rural

• Magnum Stache
Re: Celebrations Thread
« Reply #950 on: April 11, 2015, 06:22:59 PM »

Dexterous

• Stubble
« Reply #951 on: April 14, 2015, 11:17:14 PM »
I just paid off $28K in credit card and loan debt.  It's almost a surreal feeling to see zero balances on everything.  Now to get rid of my clown cars (jeep and Tahoe) for some cash cars.  Soon I'll be in good shape to start saving and not living pay check to pay check.  Thanks to MMM for inspiring me to live a better life and to be debt free....it truly is a great feeling.

Well done!  You'll be amazed at how fast you can save/invest when you have no debt and efficient vehicles. 

BEAST33

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #952 on: April 15, 2015, 05:17:16 PM »
I just paid off $28K in credit card and loan debt.  It's almost a surreal feeling to see zero balances on everything.  Now to get rid of my clown cars (jeep and Tahoe) for some cash cars.  Soon I'll be in good shape to start saving and not living pay check to pay check.  Thanks to MMM for inspiring me to live a better life and to be debt free....it truly is a great feeling.

Well done!  You'll be amazed at how fast you can save/invest when you have no debt and efficient vehicles.

Thanks Dexterous!  Good news - I received an offer today for $42K for the jeep.  An owner of a very large dealership wants it for himself.  How ironic is that haha!!  Now I just gotta have the same luck getting out from the Tahoe.

PharmaStache

• Stubble
  • Peg City 'Stache
« Reply #953 on: April 15, 2015, 07:50:37 PM »
Reached 100k in our retirement accounts (TFSA and RRSP) today!  Found MMM about 6 months ago and have been aggressively saving ever since.  Even more fun than hitting a goal number is setting our next goal!

Prospector

• Walrus Stache
  • The late worm misses the bird.
« Reply #954 on: April 17, 2015, 07:05:10 AM »
This is incredibly small, but I'm happy about it.

Got both my minis to school/daycare this morning and myself to work on a bike. I'd been putting this off for months trying to work out the logistics, but not only did everyone get everywhere on time, I got to the office 20 minutes early.

House to 7 yr old's school - 3.1 km (1.9 miles) - arrived right when the bell went off!!
School to daycare - 1.5 km (0.9 miles) - Crazy busy road - went on the sidewalk all the way.
Daycare to work - 1.8 km (1.1 miles) - Another busy road through an industrial area glad I didn't have any kids with me!

The 7 yr old was able to ride his own bike and the little guy went in the trailer. This summer we want to do some longer bike rides in Algonquin Park, so this helps us tune up for that. I know this is nothing compared to some of you guys on your bikes, but getting this down is pretty cool for me.
Illegitimi non carborundum

Follow along in The Oasis of Positivity.

Camp Mustache Canada 2017 Organizing Committee member - Accepting names for standby list.

KMMK

• Handlebar Stache
    • Your Life Money Coaching
« Reply #955 on: April 17, 2015, 08:49:19 AM »
Reached 100k in our retirement accounts (TFSA and RRSP) today!  Found MMM about 6 months ago and have been aggressively saving ever since.  Even more fun than hitting a goal number is setting our next goal!

Nice job! It only gets easier in my experience.

radtek2112

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #956 on: April 17, 2015, 02:29:56 PM »
Finally rid of Edward Jones!!!  All accounts with them are closed and moved to Vanguard.  This should save a LOT of money in fees and other bullshit charges.  This feels like a big weight off.  I like the control I have now too. I don't feel like I have to discuss my decisions with someone.
"Lieutenant Dan got me invested in some kind of fruit company. So then I got a call from him, saying we don't have to worry about money no more. And I said, that's good! One less thing."  Forrest Gump

PharmaStache

• Stubble
  • Peg City 'Stache
« Reply #957 on: April 17, 2015, 02:52:32 PM »
Finally rid of Edward Jones!!!  All accounts with them are closed and moved to Vanguard.  This should save a LOT of money in fees and other bullshit charges.  This feels like a big weight off.  I like the control I have now too. I don't feel like I have to discuss my decisions with someone.

Awesome job!  I know for myself it felt like such a huge annoying thing to do, but it feel awesome once you've done it.

AmbitiousCanuck

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #958 on: April 18, 2015, 09:47:21 AM »
We just broke six figure net worth!  Booyah!  Onwards and upwards!

Edit: I should mention that this is only counting liquid assets (Cash + Investments).
"Physical strength is the most important thing in life. This is true whether we want it to be or not. Our strength, more than any other thing we possess, determines the quality and the quantity of our time here in these bodies. A weak man is not as happy as that same man would be if he were strong."

TheRabbit

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #959 on: April 19, 2015, 05:24:47 AM »
Nice job, AmbitiousCanuck! That is wonderful!

I had "The Talk" with my husband over a year ago, and slowly but surely he was starting to see the light. Just this weekend, he said he agrees that FI is possible in a shorter amount of time than he assumed AND he sees that not buy things = depriving yourself.

The turning point was when after asking him to "just give it a half-hearted try" for 9 months to humor me, I showed him how we easily paid off over $15,000 in credit card debt and saved $10,000 for emergencies.

Whoot! Big victory for us. FI here we come!

katstache92

• Stubble
« Reply #960 on: April 21, 2015, 06:34:31 AM »
I just hit 50k in investments for the first time!  I know that's small potatoes around here, but I'm on my way up!

I'm glad this thread is here because I am so excited and really wanted to tell someone this but I don't think it's wise to spread it around at work.

nereo

• Walrus Stache
    • Here's how you can support science today:
« Reply #961 on: April 21, 2015, 07:49:42 AM »
I just hit 50k in investments for the first time!  I know that's small potatoes around here, but I'm on my way up!

Congrats!  Everything compounds - $100k will come up faster than you expected, and then it's on to $200k before you know it.
"Do not confuse complexity with superiority"

Rheagar

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #962 on: April 21, 2015, 12:03:51 PM »
As of today we are officially without cable! I had been hinting at wanting to get rid of cable for a few months, and this weekend my wife realized that she doesn't really watch TV even when it's on. It was mostly background noise for her while she did other stuff, and she actually likes the quiet.

So I called the cable company today and cancelled our service. We had been paying ~130 a month for cable and internet (I know, I know...), and our 1 year promo period just ended and it was now going to be ~200 a month!!! When I called I not only cancelled our cable service, I got twice the internet speed for 2/3 the cost of what I would have been paying, and also got an additional gig of cell data/month added to our plan at no cost (not a big deal since we never go over our limit but still).

So all told we will be saving ~87 bucks a month compared to what we've been paying, and a whopping 157 bucks a month if we just continued in our current situation.

I did spend a good chunk of change to get an OTA antenna and DVR (Channel Master DVR+, anyone else use one?) so that we can still record and pause/rewind shows on OTA channels. I figure that combined with our Fire TV stick and Netflix subscription will be way more than sufficient. I'm pretty pumped that we finally pulled the trigger!

Jon_Snow

• Magnum Stache
  • Location: An Island in the Salish Sea (with necessary stints in Vancouver)
« Reply #963 on: April 21, 2015, 02:03:04 PM »
Rhaegar...lol.

Welcome to the forums!

Rural

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #964 on: April 21, 2015, 06:27:40 PM »
Tenure.

grantmeaname

• Magnum Stache
  • This night has silence and very little fear
    • The MMM Blogger Community
« Reply #965 on: April 21, 2015, 07:14:29 PM »
Woohoo! Congrats!

arebelspy

• Administrator
  • Senior Mustachian
« Reply #966 on: April 21, 2015, 08:34:46 PM »
We are two former teachers who accumulated a bunch of real estate, retired at 29, and now travel the world full time with a kid.
If you want to know more about me, or how we did that, or see lots of pictures, this Business Insider profile tells our story pretty well.
We (occasionally) blog at AdventuringAlong.com.
You can also read my forum "Journal."

RetiredAt63

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #967 on: April 22, 2015, 05:02:49 PM »
Last month I paid off the Line of Credit and the car loan (it was at 0% so no great push) - two zero balances.  The credit cards get paid off weekly so they are always close to zero.  I still have a small RRSP loan (at prime) that should be done in 3 months, and the mortgage.  As the LOC went down it was gratifying to see the money free up (less interest due each month) and be able to put more down on it.  Now that money is being put aside for necessary house repairs, so no need to borrow for them.  Plus I have a bunch of annual bills come due this month, and the has more than enough for them.

Feels good.
The measure of civilization is how people treat one another.

http://forum.mrmoneymustache.com/meetups-and-social-events/ontario's-own-camp-mustache-2017/ - MEET US THERE!

indentured4now

• Stubble
« Reply #968 on: April 23, 2015, 08:36:43 PM »
This week, I celebrate both the closing of my father's estate AND the 1 year anniversary of selling the small hobby farm where I grew up that was burning money and taking time away from my family to get it fixed up/cleared out to sell it.   The proceeds are a big chunk of my FIRE fund and income from that is paying down my mortgage faster.

At the same time, I'm itching to downsize and find a smaller piece of dirt of my own where my wife and I can garden again and be without a mortgage as our kids go off to college next year + last one 2 years after that.   Every day is a step closer (and some days are leaps) towards FIRE and FIGE (Financially Independent, Gardening Everyday"!

Public Hermit

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #969 on: April 24, 2015, 08:50:33 AM »
Paid off my student loans!
So I was sitting in my cubicle today, and I realized, ever since I started working, every single day of my life has been worse than the day before it. So that means that every single day that you see me, that's on the worst day of my life. -Office Space

Prospector

• Walrus Stache
  • The late worm misses the bird.
« Reply #970 on: April 24, 2015, 12:59:17 PM »
Paid off my student loans!

Thats such an awesome feeling! Congrats!
Illegitimi non carborundum

Follow along in The Oasis of Positivity.

Camp Mustache Canada 2017 Organizing Committee member - Accepting names for standby list.

Roundabouts

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #971 on: April 25, 2015, 06:06:00 PM »
This is incredibly small, but I'm happy about it.

Got both my minis to school/daycare this morning and myself to work on a bike. I'd been putting this off for months trying to work out the logistics, but not only did everyone get everywhere on time, I got to the office 20 minutes early.

Good effort, enjoy the accomplishment!  Pretty soon it'll become second nature!

Veosaber

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #972 on: April 26, 2015, 10:51:46 AM »
Lurker here, finally have a proud moment I would like to share.

I passed the $50,000.00 net worth landmark!

It has taken two years out of school starting with nothing and paying off my car to get this far.  Onwards and upwards!

nereo

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #973 on: April 27, 2015, 08:22:17 AM »
I passed the $50,000.00 net worth landmark!

It has taken two years out of school starting with nothing and paying off my car to get this far.  Onwards and upwards!
Welcome Veosaber!  Congrats on having a positive net worth (NW) so early in your career. 
Kept it up - the next $50k will be a little bit easier, and then the next $50k easier still, and then....

protostache

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #974 on: April 30, 2015, 11:01:05 AM »
DW and I paid off over $14k of debt this month, killing her student loan and my car loan. Now we just have the mortgage and an extra $400/mo of cash flow to either throw at the mortgage (244k and 29 years left @ 4.25%) or our stash.

notoriusjt2

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #975 on: May 01, 2015, 02:09:22 PM »
Wife and I paid off $13k worth of student loans this year alone. While it feels empty sending someone that much money and not having anything to show for it, its a huge relief not to have to pay that crap every month.

choppingwood

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #976 on: May 02, 2015, 09:31:46 PM »
Wife and I paid off $13k worth of student loans this year alone. While it feels empty sending someone that much money and not having anything to show for it, its a huge relief not to have to pay that crap every month.

Having an education is something to show for it....

Great that you are making progress paying off the loans.

Marus

• Stubble
    • My Literature Blog
« Reply #977 on: May 04, 2015, 09:15:49 AM »
When I put together a balance sheet I realized I passed $50,000 new worth!  Yay :)

I finally got a bike trailer and used it to get groceries.  Now I'm trying to think up cool camping or kayaking trips I can go on with it. It's exciting to think about getting around without a car.

lovesasa

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #978 on: May 05, 2015, 02:58:30 AM »
A few mini wins...
  • Got a 13.8% raise starting in July*
  • Decreased to 4 days a week*
  • Got a tutoring student for Saturdays starting next school year (a friend is moving and asked me to take over)
  • Opened my first investment account (unfortunately after having to withdraw my contributions to my Roth IRA)
  • May have found a new apartment that will be a little more than HALF of what I'm paying now
  • I was under budget for April despite some unexpected large-ish expenses!

*All I had to do was put in my notice to leave at the end of the school year and not react to a counter offer for 2 weeks while I decided... My non-existent negotiating skills for the win?

(Edited for a typo)
"Get over the idea that only children should spend their time in study. Be a student so long as you still have something to learn, and this will mean all your life."
- Henry L. Doherty

nereo

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #979 on: May 05, 2015, 09:40:34 AM »
A few mini wins...
  • Got a tutoring student for Saturdays starting next school year (a friend is moving and asked me to take over)
  • Opened my first investment account (unfortunately after having to withdraw my contributions to my Roth IRA)
  • May have found a new apartment that will be a little more than HALF of what I'm paying now

*All I had to do was put in my notice to leave at the end of the school year and not react to a counter offer for 2 weeks while I decided... My non-existent negotiating skills for the win?

(Edited for a typo)
It's amazing what kind of bargaining power you gain when you don't need to stay.  Or to put it another way: "He/She who can walk away holds all the cards."

Pooperman

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #980 on: May 05, 2015, 10:14:20 AM »
A few mini wins...

(Edited for a typo)
It's amazing what kind of bargaining power you gain when you don't need to stay.  Or to put it another way: "He/She who can walk away holds all the cards."

Very true! I was put forward for a new position by a recruiter. It was something I was very interested in, but they screwed up the interview process. Salary originally was 70-75 (still above what I get now), but due to the screw up and telling the recruiter that I wasn't sure if I should work for a place that would screw up interviews like that, the salary will now be 80-85. They are very interested in me and the final interview is tomorrow. Will report back as winning the position will be a celebration! Also, it comes with less stress than what I do now. Double win.

lovesasa

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #981 on: May 05, 2015, 10:29:35 AM »
A few mini wins...

(Edited for a typo)

Very true! I was put forward for a new position by a recruiter. It was something I was very interested in, but they screwed up the interview process. Salary originally was 70-75 (still above what I get now), but due to the screw up and telling the recruiter that I wasn't sure if I should work for a place that would screw up interviews like that, the salary will now be 80-85. They are very interested in me and the final interview is tomorrow. Will report back as winning the position will be a celebration! Also, it comes with less stress than what I do now. Double win.

I always hear these things, but it's amazing to see it in action! After two weeks of thinking I was actually willing to accept just the 4 days a week with no raise, but my boss added the raise herself. I probably could have gotten a bit more if I were better at this "negotiating" thing but I was mostly in shock... 80% time for the same pay is already a decent "raise" per hour and then she added the raise I was going to ask for before I thought about leaving.

Ironically, this has definitely indoctrinated me to the power of having "FU" money, which makes me all the more eager to stay and save more... So I can really be free to walk away, when I'm ready to.

That's great that you were able to get an even higher offer for what sounds like a job you're excited about! They must really want you. Good luck in the next step! Definitely let us know how it goes. :) Do you mind if I ask what field you're in?
"Get over the idea that only children should spend their time in study. Be a student so long as you still have something to learn, and this will mean all your life."
- Henry L. Doherty

Pooperman

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #982 on: May 05, 2015, 10:34:33 AM »
A few mini wins...

(Edited for a typo)

I always hear these things, but it's amazing to see it in action! After two weeks of thinking I was actually willing to accept just the 4 days a week with no raise, but my boss added the raise herself. I probably could have gotten a bit more if I were better at this "negotiating" thing but I was mostly in shock... 80% time for the same pay is already a decent "raise" per hour and then she added the raise I was going to ask for before I thought about leaving.

Ironically, this has definitely indoctrinated me to the power of having "FU" money, which makes me all the more eager to stay and save more... So I can really be free to walk away, when I'm ready to.

That's great that you were able to get an even higher offer for what sounds like a job you're excited about! They must really want you. Good luck in the next step! Definitely let us know how it goes. :) Do you mind if I ask what field you're in?

Currently IT consulting (Salesforce Business Analyst), transitioning to (Sr.) IT Admin (also Salesforce).

arebelspy

• Administrator
  • Senior Mustachian
« Reply #983 on: May 05, 2015, 11:25:11 AM »
I had some success this past weekend at a longtime hobby of mine, something I'll rarely, if ever, be able to do once I'm FIREing and traveling around the world.

It was quite gratifying.
We are two former teachers who accumulated a bunch of real estate, retired at 29, and now travel the world full time with a kid.
If you want to know more about me, or how we did that, or see lots of pictures, this Business Insider profile tells our story pretty well.

nereo

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #984 on: May 05, 2015, 11:33:48 AM »
I had some success this past weekend at a longtime hobby of mine, something I'll rarely, if ever, be able to do once I'm FIREing and traveling around the world.

It was quite gratifying.
ok cryptic... what's your "longtime hobby" that you won't be able to do once FIRE & traveling?

arebelspy

• Administrator
  • Senior Mustachian
« Reply #985 on: May 05, 2015, 11:37:14 AM »

It was quite gratifying.
ok cryptic... what's your "longtime hobby" that you won't be able to do once FIRE & traveling?

Juggling geese. Baby geese - goslings.

nereo

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #986 on: May 05, 2015, 11:55:45 AM »

Juggling geese. Baby geese - goslings.
I tried juggling kittens once, but it turns out they are little more than teeth and fangs...

Rheagar

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #987 on: May 05, 2015, 01:09:55 PM »
Just made the switch from ATT to Consumer Cellular, reducing our cell phone bill from 100 to 60/month. Service will be virtually identical, they even use ATT's network!

iamlittlehedgehog

• Stubble
« Reply #988 on: May 06, 2015, 02:16:08 PM »
It may not count for much but we figured out our debt free date! Without a (prospective) inheritance - February 2017, with the inheritance it will be August 8, 2016. We are putting off our honeymoon until we are debt free so it'll be even more special!

Pooperman

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #989 on: May 12, 2015, 12:43:47 PM »
New job!

nereo

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #990 on: May 12, 2015, 02:30:38 PM »
New job!
Given this is the "Celebrations Thread" and not the "Crappy Things That Have Happened To Me" thread I take it you like your new job... congrats, what is it?

1967mama

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #991 on: May 12, 2015, 02:53:06 PM »
My husband hung up a load of laundry while I was away -- serious badassity!

Pooperman

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #992 on: May 12, 2015, 04:28:02 PM »
New job!
Given this is the "Celebrations Thread" and not the "Crappy Things That Have Happened To Me" thread I take it you like your new job... congrats, what is it?

Well I got a new job and I'm happy about that since that is the one I wanted for about a year now. I start in June and have my notice today. Comes with a 25% raise which brings my total salary to double what it was for my first job. In two years! Salesforce admin/systems analyst is the position.

mlipps

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #993 on: May 12, 2015, 07:55:47 PM »
New job!

Well I got a new job and I'm happy about that since that is the one I wanted for about a year now. I start in June and have my notice today. Comes with a 25% raise which brings my total salary to double what it was for my first job. In two years! Salesforce admin/systems analyst is the position.

And you got to make the 1000th post in the celebrations thread, that must be good luck! Congrats!

Ferrisbueller

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #994 on: May 14, 2015, 04:53:57 PM »
Got a $15,000 bonus today and got my employer to increase their contribution to my 401k to $860 per month (up from $550 per month)

I did have a bonus day lunch - KFC $11

jdgj

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
    • The Online Diary of JDGJ
« Reply #995 on: May 16, 2015, 09:32:01 AM »
I was wrestling back and forth between paying off the used car loan in June or now.

Then the normal paycheck came in, and I decided. Fuck You Loan!

So, no used car loan anymore. Attempted to sign into the website to double-check (the bank account shows the debit card payment), and apparently it's an error to have an account paid off on their website. I'm not going to complain!

I am going to do a little bit more maintenance & repair on the car, and then sell it to get a more-Mustachian car. I still cannot bring myself to actively choose a manual gearbox, but I have gotten some more practice this year.

One loan done! 2 more to go.
I do not know how I found this place, but I am very pleased to have done so.

protostache

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #996 on: May 17, 2015, 07:42:46 AM »
I was wrestling back and forth between paying off the used car loan in June or now.

So, no used car loan anymore. Attempted to sign into the website to double-check (the bank account shows the debit card payment), and apparently it's an error to have an account paid off on their website. I'm not going to complain!

I am going to do a little bit more maintenance & repair on the car, and then sell it to get a more-Mustachian car. I still cannot bring myself to actively choose a manual gearbox, but I have gotten some more practice this year.

Yay for paying off cars! As of last month ours are paid off too and it's such a relief to be down to just the mortgage.

As for current celebrations, DW switched her accounts over to joint and mine should finally be done processing the paperwork tomorrow. I feel like this means we're operating much more like a team instead of a partnership (a la the recent thread by the same name), which makes me sort of irrationally happy. As a result of the combo we just opened our first taxable account and pushed our investment balance over $100k for the first time.

jdgj

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
    • The Online Diary of JDGJ
« Reply #997 on: May 17, 2015, 07:35:59 PM »

Yay for paying off cars! As of last month ours are paid off too and it's such a relief to be down to just the mortgage.

As for current celebrations, DW switched her accounts over to joint and mine should finally be done processing the paperwork tomorrow. I feel like this means we're operating much more like a team instead of a partnership (a la the recent thread by the same name), which makes me sort of irrationally happy. As a result of the combo we just opened our first taxable account and pushed our investment balance over $100k for the first time.

Yay for six figures! I am way off the mark on investing. I am still in the get out of debt phase, so moving into the investment stage will take a little time (hopefully not too much longer though, maybe a year or 2).
I do not know how I found this place, but I am very pleased to have done so.

Rheagar

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #998 on: May 18, 2015, 06:48:45 AM »
We just crossed 150k in investments. We are creeping up on 250k net worth, should happen by the end of the year easily!

CongoKid

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #999 on: May 18, 2015, 11:22:31 AM »
Just received and accepted a promotion and pay raise for a move to a city with a cost of living 50% less expensive than my current post.   Live on the Indian Ocean and bump your savings rate to 65%, I'll take it!