Author Topic: Celebrations Thread  (Read 419527 times)

Rural

• Magnum Stache
Re: Celebrations Thread
« Reply #900 on: February 21, 2015, 06:12:17 AM »
Got a call from the county assessor's office yesterday. Someone came out to look at our old mobile home (at my request) and the county has declared it uninhabitable. This takes it off the property tax rolls and also means that we don't have to buy a registration sticker for this year. Hopefully, this summer, it comes down.

Moonwaves

• Pencil Stache
    • My blog
« Reply #901 on: February 23, 2015, 03:52:01 AM »
Just got my first employer match for starting a particular type of pension last June. I get a cash payout of 30% of what I've contributed in the previous calendar year. It is taxed so I don't get the full 499 but I won't say no to 255 free money either, especially since I had gotten mixed up with my calculations and thought it was 3%!

ADKMike

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #902 on: February 23, 2015, 11:43:12 AM »
I just increased my contributions to my Thrift Savings Plan from 6% to 50%.

cashstasherat23

• Stubble
« Reply #903 on: February 27, 2015, 10:17:36 AM »
Got my bonus today, and will be calling up Navient Student Loans tonight to completely knock out one of my 6 loans today! $9,000 down, $21,000 to go!

hernandz

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #904 on: February 28, 2015, 11:11:00 AM »
That is frelling awesome and very bad-ass.

Mine are baby steps in comparison, but I have just increased my 401k contribution to 17% from 16% last year and 15% the year before, so I'm really happy that streak is continuing. Really hope I can finish my degree this year -- So far, $0 in student loans.

Travis

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #905 on: March 03, 2015, 11:20:29 AM »
This weekend we donated an entire car trunk-full of books and clothes to the library and Goodwill.  A few hours later I made $85 on Craigslist sales.

10dollarsatatime

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #906 on: March 03, 2015, 05:44:45 PM »
Paid off my auto loan!  The lady on the phone sounded shocked that I wanted to make a $2800 payment (on a vehicle I financed for $5000 in the first place), but now it's done!  3 more student loans and some PMI to get rid of...

NinetyFour

• Magnum Stache
  • 240 days until Freedom!
« Reply #907 on: March 03, 2015, 06:46:18 PM »
As of yesterday, my Net Worth exceeded $500,000 for the first time.  It came out to $501,477.73.

Then today, while walking home from work, I found a quarter on the street.  So now my Net Worth is $501,477.98.  Woo hoo!!
My Journal

Countdown to Freedom:  240 days

misschedda

• Stubble
    • The Chedda
« Reply #908 on: March 04, 2015, 07:59:02 AM »
I got engaged!!!
I blog about my journey to FIRE at thechedda.com

aetherie

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #909 on: March 04, 2015, 08:39:34 AM »
Congratulations misschedda! :D

Pooperman

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #910 on: March 04, 2015, 08:57:34 AM »
I got engaged!!!

Congrats! Any idea when you'll be getting married? SO and I got engaged in January with the wedding in October. Nice to see another Mustachian couple tying the knot!

ReadyAimFired

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #911 on: March 04, 2015, 01:56:48 PM »
I have started out with a great 2015!

-A few days after Christmas, asked my girlfriend to marry me! She said yes...woo hoo! She is very mustachian
-Got a raise at work
-Put said raise toward deferred compensation (457 roth) which went from 25% to 28%
-Joined a Bible study at work

This makes my total saving rate in investment accounts ---- 41%
This does not include my monthly savings for dream retirement home which would make my total savings rate----56%  woo hoo!!!!!!!

"Having been poor is no shame, but being ashamed of it, is."

Benjamin Franklin

misschedda

• Stubble
    • The Chedda
« Reply #912 on: March 05, 2015, 05:51:42 AM »
I got engaged!!!

Congrats! Any idea when you'll be getting married? SO and I got engaged in January with the wedding in October. Nice to see another Mustachian couple tying the knot!

Thanks Pooperman and aetherie! We're thinking Fall 2016, so we've got a whole year more of planning than you do Pooperman.
I blog about my journey to FIRE at thechedda.com

T-Rex

• Bristles
  • Age 32. ♀ Veteran.
« Reply #913 on: March 07, 2015, 08:26:44 PM »
My credit score just broke 750.

Badass! Roth TSP contributions will going by percentage as well.
"The APR is only 45.9% ... I'm already paying it off with my new credit cards!"

lovesasa

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #914 on: March 07, 2015, 11:34:17 PM »
This month I calculated my net worth to be positive for the first time in my adult life!!!

I was 17 when I started college with student loans. It was a bumpy ride, I dropped out for a bit, and ended up graduating late in December 2012. Today I am 25 and have ~$8.5K left in loans (out of an original ~$32K). I plan on paying off my last 'high interest' loan as soon as my most recent deposit clears the bank ($3,199 @5.8%). Then I will be left with only $5,276 in loans at ~4.25%, which I could pay off now if I liquidated my emergency fund. (Instead, I'm thinking of moving that $5K to a Mango account @ ~5% effective interest, and just using future savings to pay down the last two loans). It feels great to know I have the option of being 100% debt free!

I know I have a long ways to go, but I'm feeling really proud of myself. Only 3 years ago I was a college dropout working 60 hours a week at minimum wage. Back then I never would have believed that I would make it this far, let alone be considering future FI.
« Last Edit: March 07, 2015, 11:36:14 PM by lovesasa »
"Get over the idea that only children should spend their time in study. Be a student so long as you still have something to learn, and this will mean all your life."
- Henry L. Doherty

G-dog

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #915 on: March 08, 2015, 07:25:10 AM »
Congratulations, keep on climbing!

Mistah Cash Lion

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #916 on: March 15, 2015, 12:34:29 AM »
This month I calculated my net worth to be positive for the first time in my adult life!!!

I was 17 when I started college with student loans. It was a bumpy ride, I dropped out for a bit, and ended up graduating late in December 2012. Today I am 25 and have ~$8.5K left in loans (out of an original ~$32K). I plan on paying off my last 'high interest' loan as soon as my most recent deposit clears the bank ($3,199 @5.8%). Then I will be left with only $5,276 in loans at ~4.25%, which I could pay off now if I liquidated my emergency fund. (Instead, I'm thinking of moving that $5K to a Mango account @ ~5% effective interest, and just using future savings to pay down the last two loans). It feels great to know I have the option of being 100% debt free!

I know I have a long ways to go, but I'm feeling really proud of myself. Only 3 years ago I was a college dropout working 60 hours a week at minimum wage. Back then I never would have believed that I would make it this far, let alone be considering future FI.

Way to go!! Keep up the good work. You're killing it.

Im grateful for an 18% raise in January. $14 to $16.50/hr. No where near what I need to reach my goals, but appreciating the wins as they come!

Smevans

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
    • Outdoor Society
« Reply #917 on: March 15, 2015, 10:39:41 AM »
Paid off one of my 10 loans/credit cards today! Feels fantastic. Have plans to pay a second one off on Wednesday when I get some money from items I sold on ebay.

Hoping to be 100% debt free (including mortgage) before I am 30. A year and a half to go.

yandz

• Stubble
« Reply #918 on: March 22, 2015, 08:25:50 PM »
Got a promotion this past week with a ~10k raise.  Same day the husband got a "salary rebalancing" (whatever that means) which resulted in a 6k raise.  Good day for the family savings rate. This should put us at 75% :)

Sibley

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #919 on: March 23, 2015, 12:11:33 PM »
Just paid off a cc. One down, one to go!

benjamingrx

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #920 on: March 23, 2015, 05:02:36 PM »
Sold a car today! We moved closer to work and both of us bike everyday, so our gas budget is almost non-existent now. Plus I got $2k grand more than my rock bottom price.

$11k cash in my pocket today = $11k straight to the retirement accounts tomorrow!!!

Woohoo!

jordy913

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #921 on: March 24, 2015, 02:49:30 PM »
New member here. I started learning about FIRE in January of this year and I'm completely on board. So many light bulb moments! In the past 3-4 months, I:

- Upped my 401K contribution and Roth IRA (via backdoor) to the max
- Cancelled my Birchbox and PopSugar Must Have subscription boxes <-- What was I thinking?!
- Cancelled my gym membership and committed to exercising outdoors
- Got YNAB and set up a budget
- Set up an account on Personal Capital
- Haven't bought any new clothes
- Stopped buying stupid s**t on Amazon all the time
- Generally adopted a mindset of "Do I REALLY need that? Prob not"

It's really liberating! Next stop is to cut the cable cord, but it's March Madness and my DH is asking to wait until the tournament is over. I guess I can hold out until then :0

nereo

• Walrus Stache
    • Here's how you can support science today:
« Reply #922 on: March 24, 2015, 03:07:52 PM »
- Upped my 401K contribution and Roth IRA (via backdoor) to the max
- Cancelled my Birchbox and PopSugar Must Have subscription boxes <-- What was I thinking?!
- Cancelled my gym membership and committed to exercising outdoors
- Got YNAB and set up a budget
- Set up an account on Personal Capital
- Haven't bought any new clothes
- Stopped buying stupid s**t on Amazon all the time
- Generally adopted a mindset of "Do I REALLY need that? Prob not"

Congrats.  The first and last one will be particularly helpful in reaching FI.
"Do not confuse complexity with superiority"

Write Thyme

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
  • I will get there one day.
    • Simple Living. Saving + Frugality. Meal Planning.
« Reply #923 on: March 28, 2015, 02:32:03 PM »
I just changed my 401k contribution from 8% to 14%! I changed my w4 withholding so it all worked out fairly even. My husband will be opening a Roth IRA just in time to take advantage of the saver's credit for 2014.

I know for this board these things are nothing, but for us they're huge. Baby steps. :)
Simple Living. Saving + Frugality. Meal Planning.
http://2minimize.blogspot.com
My Etsy Shop
https://www.etsy.com/shop/StudioSiva

missbee

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #924 on: March 31, 2015, 12:25:54 AM »
I just won free coffees for a year! I'm glad I entered that competition :)
It was a promotion where the stores were giving away free croissants if you entered the draw - I entered the draw just to get my freebie and actually won a prize. Sweet.

Sunnymo

• Stubble
« Reply #925 on: April 01, 2015, 03:33:51 AM »
100th Post!

Mustache level upgrade!

marty998

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #926 on: April 01, 2015, 03:45:50 AM »
1790th post!! (ok sorry j/k)

I think I'm over $600k n/w. Motoring along now :)

nereo

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #927 on: April 01, 2015, 09:24:19 AM »

Awesome job marty998.  Now it becomes mostly up to Mr Market.  Keep it up.
Oh, and speaking your 1790th post... I'm thinking we need at least one category above the 500 postings for "Senior Mustachian".  Something to 'honor' those rare few like Dragoncar, thegoblinchief and others who have been around and posted so much.  Only I can't think of what that level should be called.  Suggestions?

arebelspy

• Administrator
  • Senior Mustachian
« Reply #928 on: April 01, 2015, 10:09:03 AM »

Awesome job marty998.  Now it becomes mostly up to Mr Market.  Keep it up.
Oh, and speaking your 1790th post... I'm thinking we need at least one category above the 500 postings for "Senior Mustachian".  Something to 'honor' those rare few like Dragoncar, thegoblinchief and others who have been around and posted so much.  Only I can't think of what that level should be called.  Suggestions?

http://forum.mrmoneymustache.com/off-topic/mustache-levels/
We are two former teachers who accumulated a bunch of real estate, retired at 29, and now travel the world full time with a kid.
If you want to know more about me, or how we did that, or see lots of pictures, this Business Insider profile tells our story pretty well.
We (occasionally) blog at AdventuringAlong.com.
You can also read my forum "Journal."

MrsSmitty

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #929 on: April 02, 2015, 06:46:55 AM »
Two big wins to share. In March, for the first time ever, we got our savings rate over 50%. 52% to be exact. Granted that was due partly to reduced spending but mostly to a bonus coming in. But still! Our average is about 47% so it feels good to finally get over that milestone. Second big win: I realized that with the raise I'm going to be getting in the next few months (just a cost of living increase of 1-3%) I'm going to have to reduce the % I put toward my 401K as I'm already maxing it out. Woo! So the raise is going to feel even bigger because I'll end up with more of it in my take home pay. Neat!

Pooperman

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #930 on: April 02, 2015, 07:11:36 AM »
Two big wins to share. In March, for the first time ever, we got our savings rate over 50%. 52% to be exact. Granted that was due partly to reduced spending but mostly to a bonus coming in. But still! Our average is about 47% so it feels good to finally get over that milestone. Second big win: I realized that with the raise I'm going to be getting in the next few months (just a cost of living increase of 1-3%) I'm going to have to reduce the % I put toward my 401K as I'm already maxing it out. Woo! So the raise is going to feel even bigger because I'll end up with more of it in my take home pay. Neat!

Yay! Fiancee and I have only been over 50% once since we moved in October (it was also 52%, and also from my bonus).

KMMK

• Handlebar Stache
    • Your Life Money Coaching
« Reply #931 on: April 02, 2015, 07:27:01 PM »
In the first quarter of 2015 my investment gains were larger than my expenses, for the first time.

marty998

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #932 on: April 02, 2015, 07:50:08 PM »
In the first quarter of 2015 my investment gains were larger than my expenses, for the first time.

now that is something to smile about

PMG

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #933 on: April 04, 2015, 08:39:51 PM »
I have more money than month!

I left a full time decent job in September to focus on college.  It was a high stress job I'd had for 8 years and I was completely burned out. I had juggled it with full time school for a year before I planned my escape.  I'm now working part time minimum wage (!) while I'm in school and doing an internship.  I expected to need to dip into my savings... but I haven't!  I have actually managed to save more than a hundred dollars each month!  That is small peanuts for most of you, but is far more than I expected!  I am transferring to a four year school in the fall and have a strong chance at a full tuition scholarship.  I am doing everything I can to get that bachelors degree without debt. 

It's all taking a little luck, a lot of hard work anda lo of frugality.   

What I save is staying liquid as cash flow is unpredicable right now.  I am so glad to have 8 years of retirement plan contributions to watch grow as I take this detour.

I even went on vacation last month.  I had a conference on the west coast that was paid for  by my old company (long story).  I felt some guilt over spending the money, but how often does one get a free plain ticket?  In the end I spent under 500 dollars for an extra week on the Californnia coast.  I got a cheap air bnb.  I bought groceries and made most of my own meals. I used public transportation and spent all day every day by the water.  I rented a car one day and explored Big Sur.  100 of the 500 spent was on food and actually fit into my regular food budget for the month, so I only spent 400 extra dollars on the week.  Pretty dang good. Worth every penny and I still average more than 100 savings each month. 

Thanks for letting me expound on things I can't admit in public! 

arebelspy

• Administrator
  • Senior Mustachian
« Reply #934 on: April 04, 2015, 10:56:47 PM »

I have more money than month!

It's all taking a little luck, a lot of hard work anda lo of frugality.   

Well done!  Keep it up, especially the attitude/mindset!  :)
We are two former teachers who accumulated a bunch of real estate, retired at 29, and now travel the world full time with a kid.
If you want to know more about me, or how we did that, or see lots of pictures, this Business Insider profile tells our story pretty well.

Quinny

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #935 on: April 05, 2015, 07:13:00 PM »
I'll take little celebrations right now...

Hubby fixed a leaky faucet.
I've got homemade yogurt incubating.
Eating a dinner of fresh lettuce picked from the backyard garden.
Listed two things on Craigslist.
Our mini vacation, although ended, cost us nothing more than the price of food. Left a lovely dinner in the fridge for our very generous hosts.
Oh, and perhaps most exciting, I won ynab for free by doing an online class! I'm so excited I can hardly stand it!

kreyc

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #936 on: April 05, 2015, 11:41:00 PM »
  • finished school (side-benefit of no more semester payments)
  • paid off high-interest student loans (2 remaining)
  • positive net worth still climbing
« Last Edit: April 05, 2015, 11:58:08 PM by kreyc »

Erica/NWEdible

• Pencil Stache
    • Northwest Edible Life - life on garden time
« Reply #937 on: April 07, 2015, 07:14:59 PM »
FI hit.

Cherry Lane

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #938 on: April 07, 2015, 07:28:49 PM »
FI hit.

That's a mini-accomplishment? (see post #1, below)  I'd love to know what you think a major one is!  Fantastic news, at any rate.

Use this thread to post your mini-accomplishments so we can celebrate with you!

arebelspy

• Administrator
  • Senior Mustachian
« Reply #939 on: April 07, 2015, 07:34:53 PM »
FI hit.

Congrats Erica!  Well deserved.  :)

1967mama

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #940 on: April 07, 2015, 07:55:22 PM »
FI hit.

Two little words with such significance! Way to go, Erica!

Quinny

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #941 on: April 07, 2015, 07:56:52 PM »
Yay Erica! Wahoo!

Neustache

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #942 on: April 08, 2015, 05:24:54 AM »
Congrats, Erica!  Just checked out your blog - the Natural Living post....too funny.  If I knew how to do a slow clap emoticon, I'd put one here. 

happy

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #943 on: April 08, 2015, 07:27:51 AM »
Congratulations Erica, love your work blog.
Journalling at Happy Aussie Downshifter

nereo

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #944 on: April 08, 2015, 01:38:59 PM »
FI hit.
Congrats Erica!  BTW I really enjoy your blog - I just hope someday to have half your skill.

Erica/NWEdible

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #945 on: April 08, 2015, 04:55:26 PM »
Hey thanks, guys! I've been pretty quiet on the forums lately b/c I've got this book thing happening and it's sucked all the extra computer hours from my day, but thinking about you wonderful stingy bastards has helped with the motivation factor many times!

We hit FI a couple weeks ago. I didn't want to make a thread about it or whatever but I did kinda want to have a teeny "YAY!" moment with you guys. There are very, very few people in "real life" I can tell about this point, and even my blog isn't an appropriate venue to discuss this kind of thing, so thanks for being the right peeps to celebrate with.

We were pushing pretty hard b/c my husband is a contractor and his gig expires in Fall - so we wanted to make any further work optional after that point. If he gets brought back for another couple years at his current (excellent) corporate contract gig, he'll likely do it for the additional $$$ buffer, but at this point the FU money is in place. My blog and the activities it chronicles (Urban Homesteading, cooking, preserving, etc.), is an integral part of our post-FI strategy. We pretty much plan to grow stuff, raise kids, write as much as we can, and eat really well. Maybe not life-changing goals, but satisfying to us.

Thanks for your kind words, guys!

XOXO
--Erica

arebelspy

• Administrator
  • Senior Mustachian
« Reply #946 on: April 08, 2015, 06:16:25 PM »

My blog and the activities it chronicles (Urban Homesteading, cooking, preserving, etc.), is an integral part of our post-FI strategy. We pretty much plan to grow stuff, raise kids, write as much as we can, and eat really well. Maybe not life-changing goals, but satisfying to us.

I'd love to hear more details on this, in the thread here if it's not germane to your blog.

BEAST33

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #947 on: April 09, 2015, 06:27:40 PM »
I just paid off $28K in credit card and loan debt.  It's almost a surreal feeling to see zero balances on everything.  Now to get rid of my clown cars (jeep and Tahoe) for some cash cars.  Soon I'll be in good shape to start saving and not living pay check to pay check.  Thanks to MMM for inspiring me to live a better life and to be debt free....it truly is a great feeling.

Erica/NWEdible

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #948 on: April 10, 2015, 08:37:26 PM »

My blog and the activities it chronicles (Urban Homesteading, cooking, preserving, etc.), is an integral part of our post-FI strategy. We pretty much plan to grow stuff, raise kids, write as much as we can, and eat really well. Maybe not life-changing goals, but satisfying to us.

I'd love to hear more details on this, in the thread here if it's not germane to your blog.
Sure. I'm not a doomsday prepper or anything, but I think that our food supply is increasingly fragile, basically. I think that water pressure in California and increasingly frequent extreme weather events in staple-crop regions are going to put strong upward price pressures on America's historically cheap food supply. I don't see any kind of massive price spike happening immediately, except maybe in beef and dairy, but suspect we'll be looking at an economic environment where people who want to eat non-subsidized food crops (most fruits and vegetables, humanely raised meat, etc.) are going to have to pay a lot more for the opportunity to do so.

Having a large (by urban standards) garden, tree and berry fruit, and more self-sustaining meat and egg options gives my family a nice buffer against what I expect will be consistent price creep in food. It helps make us more "anti-fragile" to buzzword this. The solar panels we installed last year are also in this category - an initial investment will help us offset ongoing expenses for years going forward and help provide a buffer against unexpected fluctuations in energy prices.

My blog is both a feel-good thing (I really love sharing info as I can with like-minded people), a slight side-hustle, and a way to make many of our expenditures legitimate business expenses or things that can be had in trade with vendors (people send bloggers a lot of stuff, which can be kinda nice. New gardening books for free! Yay!)

In short, it might be fair to say that while I find our lifestyle extremely fulfilling on a day-to-day basis for a whole host of reasons, I also appreciate it as a reassuring insurance policy as we slide into the possibility of ER. I like having fuck you money AND fuck you food. :) Does that make sense?

arebelspy

• Administrator
  • Senior Mustachian
« Reply #949 on: April 10, 2015, 10:24:19 PM »
Totally!  Thanks for the explanation.  :)