Author Topic: Celebrations Thread  (Read 463552 times)

lostamonkey

• Bristles
Re: Celebrations Thread
« Reply #850 on: December 20, 2014, 07:10:42 PM »
-I went to the library to take out books for my upcoming vacation. I used to just buy books at the airport and read them once.

-I replaced my first headlight myself. Before I would just go to a garage and pay to have it replaced.

-My internet provider jacked up their prices so I canceled my service. I will be getting a cheaper provider in a little while.
« Last Edit: December 20, 2014, 07:23:49 PM by lostamonkey »

halftimer

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #851 on: December 21, 2014, 05:40:42 PM »
Recent celebrations and accomplishments:
-sold vehicle with high gas and maintenance costs and picked up reliable little hatchback. We plan to use it less and less in the months to come
-returned from an overseas trip with zero debt hangover and even some extra foreign currency in our pocket which I exchanged at the bank
-changed banking and internet plans to free up $300 in annual cash flow

veloman

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #852 on: December 21, 2014, 07:49:23 PM »
I was offered a job and I asked for 7% more and got it. Can't hurt to ask!

Knapptyme

• Stubble
« Reply #853 on: December 21, 2014, 09:55:55 PM »
-I went to the library to take out books for my upcoming vacation. I used to just buy books at the airport and read them once.

-I replaced my first headlight myself. Before I would just go to a garage and pay to have it replaced.

-My internet provider jacked up their prices so I canceled my service. I will be getting a cheaper provider in a little while.

These are great little steps. I especially like the audacity to up and cancel internet service.

lostamonkey

• Bristles
« Reply #854 on: December 22, 2014, 09:11:52 AM »

These are great little steps. I especially like the audacity to up and cancel internet service.
I am no longer in university but I live across the street across from a university building so I have access to their free wifi if I cross the street. There are nice private closed off cubicles with a window and power outlets in the university building so I can just use the internet there for a while.

Quetzal

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #855 on: December 23, 2014, 10:22:40 PM »
I just wrote checks to charity totaling 3x our previous annual donations. Thanks to MMM, I know we can afford it.

arebelspy

• Administrator
  • Senior Mustachian
« Reply #856 on: December 24, 2014, 11:43:26 AM »
I just wrote checks to charity totaling 3x our previous annual donations. Thanks to MMM, I know we can afford it.

Inspiring!  Thank you.
We are two former teachers who accumulated a bunch of real estate, retired at 29, and now travel the world full time with a kid.
If you want to know more about me, or how we did that, or see lots of pictures, this Business Insider profile tells our story pretty well.
We (occasionally) blog at AdventuringAlong.com.
You can also read my forum "Journal."

PDX2Retire

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #857 on: December 26, 2014, 04:01:29 PM »
Turned in my resignation on 12/1.   My last day is 12/31.   I start the new year with a new life plan.   

It is surreal to realize I can do almost anything I want to do now.  I want to learn electronics and my sweetie got me an Arduino and RaspberryPi for Christmas.  I want to learn to repair our bikes so I'm signing up to work at the community cycling center where they train you to be a bench mechanic.  I'm going to volunteer at the elementary school six blocks away as a reading coach. 

I asked friends via Facebook what ideas they had for me and have been flooded with ideas ranging from practical to whimsical. 

My partner won't be able to retire for probably another 10 years.  She totally thinks I've joined a cult (yup!) and is supportive but also a bit fearful.  She's worried that by quitting work I won't have options if something in my life or the world goes terribly wrong.  Sure.  I've thought of that.  I'm a six on the Enneagram - of course I've thought about all that could go wrong!   But my financial advisor and FIREcalc confirm I have the funds so here I go!

I can hardly wipe the smile from my face.  I am off work today.  It's a Friday.  But because I was off yesterday I keep thinking that was Saturday and today is Sunday and I have to go to work tomorrow.  And that brings me down a bit.  THEN I realize it's only Friday.  And in just a few more days every tomorrow will feel like a Saturday.   Wow. 

Good luck to everyone here who is looking at their life and making changes to make it a better life.  You are inspirational.   

frugalfighterpilot

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #858 on: January 01, 2015, 02:13:05 AM »
Received a call from the power company yesterday, "Sir, we get a report every month on unusually high or low usage and we noticed that your bill was extremely low this month compared to your previous months. Is everything ok?"  My response was, "Why thank you for your concern, but we have taken steps to improve our energy efficiency and reduce our power consumption.  It sounds like it has worked!"

The lady on the other end of the phone was literally speechless .

G-dog

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #859 on: January 01, 2015, 07:27:41 AM »

Excellent!  Feels great to help the groups you care about.

G-dog

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #860 on: January 01, 2015, 07:31:39 AM »
Turned in my resignation on 12/1.   My last day is 12/31.   I start the new year with a new life plan.   

It is surreal to realize I can do almost anything I want to do now.  I want to learn electronics and my sweetie got me an Arduino and RaspberryPi for Christmas.  I want to learn to repair our bikes so I'm signing up to work at the community cycling center where they train you to be a bench mechanic.  I'm going to volunteer at the elementary school six blocks away as a reading coach. 

I asked friends via Facebook what ideas they had for me and have been flooded with ideas ranging from practical to whimsical. 

My partner won't be able to retire for probably another 10 years.  She totally thinks I've joined a cult (yup!) and is supportive but also a bit fearful.  She's worried that by quitting work I won't have options if something in my life or the world goes terribly wrong.  Sure.  I've thought of that.  I'm a six on the Enneagram - of course I've thought about all that could go wrong!   But my financial advisor and FIREcalc confirm I have the funds so here I go!

I can hardly wipe the smile from my face.  I am off work today.  It's a Friday.  But because I was off yesterday I keep thinking that was Saturday and today is Sunday and I have to go to work tomorrow.  And that brings me down a bit.  THEN I realize it's only Friday.  And in just a few more days every tomorrow will feel like a Saturday.   Wow. 

Good luck to everyone here who is looking at their life and making changes to make it a better life.  You are inspirational.

Congratulations!  You've got some great activities planned. I'd love to hear some updates as you tackle these and more (I may steal an idea or two!).

rocksinmyhead

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #861 on: January 02, 2015, 10:00:06 AM »
These are all so inspiring! I'm really excited to post mine because I feel like I've been waiting and waiting for it... finally crossed the $100K mark in net worth!! A bit over half of that is in my 401K, the rest is in cash as emergency fund/wedding fund/down payment fund, and my only debt is $1400 on a 0% car loan that will be paid off in June. Yeah!!!!

NinetyFour

• Magnum Stache
  • 153 days until Freedom!
« Reply #862 on: January 02, 2015, 10:10:13 AM »
Woo hoo!!  Nice job, Rocks!  Congrats!!
My Journal

Countdown to Freedom:  153 days; 17 weeks of classes; 49 days of classes

jomsviking

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #863 on: January 02, 2015, 12:44:02 PM »
Paid off my house! Woohoo! More money to invest each month I'm hoping to not need it for anything else.

shusherstache

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #864 on: January 02, 2015, 01:00:12 PM »
Congratulations! It's such a good feeling.

Prairie Gal

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #865 on: January 04, 2015, 09:22:04 AM »
Paid off my house! Woohoo! More money to invest each month I'm hoping to not need it for anything else.

Congrats! More money for the stash. I remember that awesome feeling.

Jon_Snow

• Magnum Stache
  • Location: An Island in the Salish Sea (with necessary stints in Vancouver)
« Reply #866 on: January 04, 2015, 12:16:24 PM »

Wow! A lot of similarities to my own ER (4 months ago) in your post. It is incredible to have your own life open up in front of you... the possibilities to do ANYTHING. I frequently find myself with a grin on my face for no reason at all other than I am FREE. Congrats... and I hope you hang around encourage those that are following us... it's what I try to do around here.

Adventine

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #867 on: January 06, 2015, 12:34:43 AM »
My investments hit a magic number today! I am so happy, especially as I only started investing in 2012. For perspective, when I started working in 2009, I had a net worth of exactly zero, and that magic number was only a nebulous, "if only" kind of dream in my head.

cashstasherat23

• Stubble
« Reply #868 on: January 06, 2015, 12:32:29 PM »
Had my first success at credit card churning-although is that what it's called when it's for a checking account?

Anyway, I got an offer in the mail for $300 for opening a checking account at Chase when you connect direct deposit-I did just that, had my first direct deposit on 12/31, and the $300 posted to my account today. Huzzah! That free $300 will pay for my vacation to Quebec with my boyfriend next week!

brooklynmoney

• Bristles
« Reply #869 on: January 06, 2015, 08:19:41 PM »
I successfully quit my job and found a great new one that I'm starting later this month. Woohoo.

Ethernet

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #870 on: January 06, 2015, 08:53:15 PM »
I finally traded in my 12MPG truck for an around-32MPG Sedan.

Bardo

• Stubble
« Reply #871 on: January 12, 2015, 12:46:41 PM »
Toted up the numbers for 2014.  Savings exceeded spending by more than $20k, and better yet spending was less than a 4% SWR from investable assets.  Still trying to digest the concept of FI!

Moonwaves

• Pencil Stache
    • My blog
« Reply #872 on: January 13, 2015, 06:31:45 AM »
I passed the exam to become a recognised translator on Saturday. Translating is actually totally unregulated here but it's great to know I'll have an official piece of paper to any Germans who might like to see it. Also gives me something current to add to my CV. And it's nice to think that officially I have now reached C2/native speaker level (even if in actuality I still make plenty of mistakes). Still no official approval from work for a side-job but I'm going to ignore them and reach out to a couple of friends with agencies to start getting a bit of work on the side. Even a couple of hours a week would make a big difference to me.

MsPeacock

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #873 on: January 14, 2015, 05:56:08 PM »
I just started here recently - so I am working on my spreadsheets and setting up various automatic payments and getting my budget in order. The big news today - I got a raise! I have been asking for a raise for 3 years, with lots of excellent reasons why I deserve one - but an organization w/o money to give me one. So, I learned today that I have been approved for a  10% retention bonus! This is huge - and will really help me pay off some painful debt that much faster!

ontheroaderic

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #874 on: January 24, 2015, 01:55:19 PM »
Paid off a car today - the last we will ever finance! A 2010 Prius with a $14,500 loan from our credit union, paid off in exactly 12 months. Feels good!

Now in to "Phase Two - In Which we Destroy the Student Loans."

trailrated

• Handlebar Stache
  • a smooth sea never made a skilled sailor
« Reply #875 on: January 28, 2015, 01:17:22 PM »
WITH THIS POST I JUST EVOLVED INTO A SENIOR MUSTACHIAN!
"What matters most is how well you walk through the fire. "

Adventine

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #876 on: January 28, 2015, 08:46:25 PM »
CONGRATS! I just evolved too! I feel so ~accomplished~

trailrated

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #877 on: January 29, 2015, 09:18:32 AM »

Cheers! I'm going to find some lumpia to celebrate :)

mlipps

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #878 on: January 29, 2015, 09:24:16 AM »
Just got a job offer for a year long, paid internship, in my field, with one of the premiere companies I want to work for upon graduation! Did I mention paid!!

Of course, I've already done the math and calculated that with my pay from this internship, we should have just enough to make our 2015 Roth contributions. (My husband's paycheck is being eaten up by my tuition payments.) So, the stash wins too! Hurray!

Adventine

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #879 on: January 29, 2015, 12:08:02 PM »

Fresh lumpia is the best, man. The best.

trailrated

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #880 on: January 29, 2015, 12:22:35 PM »

Could not agree more, my step-mother is filipino and when her mother would make them for me and my brother we would go crazy! What part of the philippines are you from?

Pooperman

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #881 on: January 29, 2015, 12:44:32 PM »

Jumpin in on this with my own senority!

trailrated

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #882 on: January 29, 2015, 02:21:03 PM »

Jumpin in on this with my own senority!

KICK ASS!

Adventine

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #883 on: January 29, 2015, 10:28:08 PM »

Could not agree more, my step-mother is filipino and when her mother would make them for me and my brother we would go crazy! What part of the philippines are you from?
I'm from Manila! I think I'll make homemade lumpia as my next Mustachian project :p

Also, congrats, Pooperman!

okonumiyaki

• Stubble
« Reply #884 on: February 02, 2015, 01:26:07 AM »

Heh - they are called lumpia in Indonesia as well, guess it is a common austronesian word (i.e dog in javanese is asu, vs aso in tagalog)

1967mama

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #885 on: February 02, 2015, 01:44:54 AM »
Watched the Superbowl on our own TV set without cable. Got a new antenna from local electronics store that gives us 5 really clear channels in HD. So excited! One time expense of $129 (plus tax) and we will never have to pay for television viewing again, except for the electricity to run the set. I know you can build your own antenna but husband wasn't into it and isn't very handy, so this was a huge win for us! I've been reading up online on what we need, etc for our location and the little $19.99 antenna just wasn't cutting it -- lots of pixelation and "no signal" messages were super frustrating. Just wanted to share this small victory .. and cable free for over a year now, too!

plainjane

• Handlebar Stache
    • Join us at CM*TO - enter the bunk lottery!
« Reply #886 on: February 02, 2015, 06:27:40 AM »
Ran January's numbers, and at a 4% withdrawal  on our investments we'd be able to cover our 12 month rolling ongoing variable living expenses (not including mortgage/property tax/travel/house maintenance).  Thanks to the recent market run up, I'm 11 months ahead of the "schedule" I made up for our investable assets when I first found MMM.
Using procrastination to my advantage since 2001.

SCUBAstache

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #887 on: February 02, 2015, 09:12:11 AM »
I spent <$400 on groceries/restaurants in January.  For just one person I know this is still A LOT, but it's huge progress.  My goal for February is <$300, since $400 was very doable when I started paying attention!  It feels great to take control.

DagobertDuck

• Bristles
« Reply #888 on: February 02, 2015, 09:59:59 AM »
Sold my car 2 weeks ago!

Got 80 for it (just scrap value, it was an oldie)
Already saved plm 350 (maybe a bit less, maybe more) because it was due for maintenance, roadworthiness check, oil change etc.
Monthly savings for just insurance and taxes: 54

It feels good to be carfree so far!
Though I must admit it can be convenient sometimes, I never really *loved* owning a car. I hated spending money on gas and I couldn't stand not having the space, tools and skills to wrench on my own car and thus having to pay someone to do it for me. (I do wrench on my own bicycles)

I already used to commute by bike and we have pretty good public transport, so I haven't missed my car yet.
« Last Edit: February 02, 2015, 10:04:45 AM by DagobertDuck »

Pooperman

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #889 on: February 02, 2015, 10:16:11 AM »
Am now engaged.

NinetyFour

• Magnum Stache
  • 153 days until Freedom!
« Reply #890 on: February 02, 2015, 10:36:06 AM »
Congrats!!  Very happy for you!
My Journal

Countdown to Freedom:  153 days; 17 weeks of classes; 49 days of classes

Happyback

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #891 on: February 02, 2015, 08:35:18 PM »
Just made a lump sum, end of the year, payment towards the mortgage.
I gathered all the "left over" amounts in various spending categories (where I had been frugal all year, and stayed under budget), and tossed $17K towards the mortgage on a rental!

Felt like A BOSS.
C-

Neustache

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #892 on: February 03, 2015, 06:25:52 AM »
Very nice, HappyBack! 

MrScottStache

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #893 on: February 08, 2015, 08:50:54 AM »
This past week i figured out that my savings rate for 2014 was 60%.  Not bad for a single guy with a too big condo.

I also got the thrill of seeing my total net worth cross the 1M mark for the first time. 

horsepoor

• Magnum Stache
  • Growing a Pony 'Stache
« Reply #894 on: February 09, 2015, 02:25:10 PM »
I just sent the last payment on my car.  Can't wait to see the loan balance zero out and receive the title in the mail!

HairyUpperLip

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #895 on: February 09, 2015, 03:05:55 PM »
This past week i figured out that my savings rate for 2014 was 60%.  Not bad for a single guy with a too big condo.

I also got the thrill of seeing my total net worth cross the 1M mark for the first time.

Congrats for both! Nice man!

daymare

• Bristles
« Reply #896 on: February 12, 2015, 08:43:11 PM »
So my husband & I are 25.  We started the year with investments totaling $104K.  So that took about 3 years and 4 months - but neither of us were employed the whole time (he started working several months after me ... then moved in March of this year to my grad school city and got a job after 4 months of unemployment.  And I took 3 months off between work and starting grad school 1.5 years ago... where my stipend is literally 1/3 of what I made when I worked.)  Anyway, it felt awesome to reach the 100K mark.

But the best feeling is that when I think about this year ... we're at 118K already (having put in 12K) and have lofty plans to put in a bunch more.  So I think we're really, really likely to get past 150K.  Most optimistically, we want to invest another 18 (max his 401k) +10 (max out our Roths) +10 (taxable)=38K.  So holy shit we could increase our NW by 50K, or 50%.  It feels like things are really coming together!  We never had money problems, but I finally feel like I have this Mustachianism thing mastered, and it feels sooo good. :)

Our income is so low right now and it's going to go up a crazy amount, I know we are totally on track to be FI by 40 :)

couponvan

• Magnum Stache
    • My journal
« Reply #897 on: February 13, 2015, 10:49:56 AM »
Yesterday my 401(k) balance hit $100K!!!

Today is the 4 year anniversary of my return to work PT.  When my youngest went to full-day Kindergarten I decided to do something with the time the kids were in school. It feels so good to see my efforts paying off!!

(DH is maxing out his 401(k) too, which I don't think he'd have been able to do with me staying home.)
Why the hell are we going shopping? Buy sh*t, return other sh*t, go through sh*t and donate sh*t. Complain about having too much sh*t. Repeat. (Bracken Joy 2/17)

powskier

• Bristles
« Reply #898 on: February 17, 2015, 11:40:54 AM »
Knocked 10 years and 100k in interest off of home loan buy refinancing down to a 15 y @ 3%. ( 7K in fees for those wondering)
Increased monthly principal payment by almost $700, this is just standard payment.....
Eliminated $120/month in PMI.
« Last Edit: February 17, 2015, 01:18:40 PM by powskier »

couponvan

• Magnum Stache
    • My journal
« Reply #899 on: February 18, 2015, 09:38:56 AM »
Knocked 10 years and 100k in interest off of home loan buy refinancing down to a 15 y @ 3%. ( 7K in fees for those wondering)
Increased monthly principal payment by almost $700, this is just standard payment.....
Eliminated $120/month in PMI.

Congrats!  I'm kicking myself for not doing this 15 years ago when we bought our first home!  You will not regret it!
Why the hell are we going shopping? Buy sh*t, return other sh*t, go through sh*t and donate sh*t. Complain about having too much sh*t. Repeat. (Bracken Joy 2/17)