Author Topic: Celebrations Thread  (Read 1648210 times)

dougules

• Magnum Stache
Re: Celebrations Thread
« Reply #2150 on: November 20, 2020, 11:01:32 AM »
Due to last year's run up, coupled with only taking a snap shot every six months, we blew right past the two commas to our additional buffer to consider ourselves FI. We did get silly grins for a bit, but meh. And we signed a new lease a few months later, rather than quitting.

Signed a new lease?  For a business?

No, but it is a two year lease on a condo within a mile of DH's office. Not that he has seen the inside of his office since we signed that lease... He just wasn't ready to walk away and it turns out with the pandemic that was the right decision.

Do you think he will RE when the world is back in a good place?  I think I might be prone to OMY when the time comes.  We're actually already to the point at which a lot of folks here would be pushing the eject button. 

SwordGuy

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #2151 on: November 20, 2020, 11:24:41 AM »
We're actually already to the point at which a lot of folks here would be pushing the eject button.

We pushed the eject button 2 1/2 years ago and it's awesome.   

ixtap

• Magnum Stache
    • Our Sea Story
« Reply #2152 on: November 20, 2020, 11:56:00 AM »
Due to last year's run up, coupled with only taking a snap shot every six months, we blew right past the two commas to our additional buffer to consider ourselves FI. We did get silly grins for a bit, but meh. And we signed a new lease a few months later, rather than quitting.

Signed a new lease?  For a business?

No, but it is a two year lease on a condo within a mile of DH's office. Not that he has seen the inside of his office since we signed that lease... He just wasn't ready to walk away and it turns out with the pandemic that was the right decision.

Do you think he will RE when the world is back in a good place?  I think I might be prone to OMY when the time comes.  We're actually already to the point at which a lot of folks here would be pushing the eject button.

On really good days, he talks about stringing together unpaid leave for as long as Megacorp will allow (ie, 6 months off, 12 months at work, another 4 months off...).

On bad days, he talks about quitting as soon as we can get the vaccine... actually, this morning, he was already talking about all the things he could do if he didn't have to go to work today. He has been in a spectacularly crappy mood this week. Or, maybe I really am just a horrible monster that should have known better than to offer to do the dishes...

Trifle

• Walrus Stache
    • In The Garden
« Reply #2153 on: December 07, 2020, 04:13:26 AM »
Today is my five-year anniversary since being diagnosed with cancer.  I've been looking forward to this day so much.  Clean bill of health so far, knock on wood.  Happy cancer-versary to me!

rebel_quietude

• Stubble
« Reply #2154 on: December 07, 2020, 05:23:37 AM »
@Trifele , that's friggin' epic. Congratulations!!!

SwordGuy

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #2155 on: December 07, 2020, 07:14:28 AM »
Today is my five-year anniversary since being diagnosed with cancer.  I've been looking forward to this day so much.  Clean bill of health so far, knock on wood.  Happy cancer-versary to me!

That is truly something to celebrate!   Hooray!

Trifle

• Walrus Stache
    • In The Garden
« Reply #2156 on: December 07, 2020, 09:51:20 AM »
Thanks @rebel_quietude and @SwordGuy!  :)

MonkeyJenga

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #2157 on: December 07, 2020, 09:54:46 AM »

Amazing! Happy cancer-versary!

SquashingDebt

• Bristles
« Reply #2158 on: December 11, 2020, 06:52:28 AM »
This is a very small reason for celebration, but hey, I'll take what I can get this year:

Yesterday, I realized that this month is my third 3-paycheck month of the year, which means I get 27 paychecks this year instead of the usual 26.  Fun!  We get paid on Thursdays, so I got my first paycheck on January 2nd and I'll get my last on December 31.

ixtap

• Magnum Stache
    • Our Sea Story
« Reply #2159 on: December 11, 2020, 07:49:18 AM »
This is a very small reason for celebration, but hey, I'll take what I can get this year:

Yesterday, I realized that this month is my third 3-paycheck month of the year, which means I get 27 paychecks this year instead of the usual 26.  Fun!  We get paid on Thursdays, so I got my first paycheck on January 2nd and I'll get my last on December 31.

We aren't sure if Megacorp will be paying early or on the first business day of the year. With 401k currently set to start taking 65% with the first paycheck in January, those couple of days represent a big difference in cash flow!

DrinkCoffeeStackMoney

• Stubble
« Reply #2160 on: December 15, 2020, 02:43:45 PM »

That is fantastic! Congratulations!
I lost my Dad and an Aunt to cancer so any time I hear of someone beating it I love it!!

nereo

• Senior Mustachian
    • Here's how you can support science today:
« Reply #2161 on: December 15, 2020, 05:39:06 PM »

That is fantastic! Congratulations!
I lost my Dad and an Aunt to cancer so any time I hear of someone beating it I love it!!
Life.  A great reason to celebrate, and a great reminder that most of what we worry about is ancillary.

Glad to hear you have a clean bill of health 5 years in @Trifele

Trifle

• Walrus Stache
    • In The Garden
« Reply #2162 on: December 16, 2020, 07:05:30 AM »
Thanks @MonkeyJenga, @DrinkCoffeeAndStackMoney, and @nereo!  I appreciate it.  :)

So sorry about your dad and aunt @DrinkCoffeeAndStackMoney.  Cancer sucks.     

Optimiser

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #2163 on: December 16, 2020, 09:06:22 AM »
I found out yesterday that I passed my last section of the CPA exam, and signed papers to close on my house (I'm the seller)!

Trifle

• Walrus Stache
    • In The Garden
« Reply #2164 on: December 16, 2020, 09:18:46 AM »
I found out yesterday that I passed my last section of the CPA exam, and signed papers to close on my house (I'm the seller)!

That is a huge deal @Optimiser!!  Congratulations!

2Birds1Stone

• Walrus Stache
  • K Thnx Bye
« Reply #2165 on: December 16, 2020, 09:27:11 AM »
Congrats @Optimiser !!

couponvan

• Walrus Stache
    • My journal
« Reply #2166 on: December 16, 2020, 01:32:51 PM »
@Optimiser from one CPA to another, congratulations!!!! I don't think I could pass it these days. LOL. We were the first group to get calculators on the exam I am that old.  Also congrats on the house sale-the days leading up to closing are so stressful.

SwordGuy

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #2167 on: December 19, 2020, 09:21:46 AM »
We got to do a few things this week that we couldn't ever have done if we didn't start following the path that MMM laid out back in 2012.

We were able to donate $1,000 to a local food bank.   We'll be donating $1,000 a month for the foreseeable future from now on (but to various charitable causes, not just the food bank.)    Could never have done this if not for MMM. 

We got to do my favorite part of being a landlord.   Assuming the tenants have taken care of the property and paid their rent (reasonably) on time, we gift them with a 1/2 month's rent rounded up to the nearest $50.   So we sent out 3 checks for $450 to our tenants.   

DaveSch

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
    • Dave's Homemade Radios
« Reply #2168 on: December 19, 2020, 06:07:03 PM »
That is so cool Swordguy! I'm doing something similar. It started last spring when I received my unneeded stimulus check. I sent a quarter away to our local Food Bank. Part went to help a small business and their customers.
I just turned 70.5 years old in October. That means it is QCD time! (Qualified Charitable Distribution). I did a test run by sending some money to the same food bank.
I've made a list of mostly local charities and plan on having my IRA custodian make checks out to the qualified charities each month or so.
As the Covid starts going away, I'll turn my attention to some other charities too. But for now, it's the Food Bank.
I realized that I would not likely ever spend any of my IRA on myself. This will be more beneficial when it is RMD time for me.

Mrs. D.

• Stubble
« Reply #2169 on: December 22, 2020, 11:43:21 AM »
DH and I have put 50K into savings this year! Roughly 50% savings rate. First time we've accomplished this.

Glenstache

• Magnum Stache
  • FI(lean) working on the "RE"
« Reply #2170 on: December 22, 2020, 12:24:05 PM »
I finally made the call to sell a piece of vacation property I had in the mountains and was underutilized (and not a candidate for rental). Ended up having a very easy transaction selling to a neighbor using a RE attorney. Had the money in an investment account within 24 hours of clearing escrow. While I did have a lot of personal investment in the property, it feels like a weight has been lifted off my shoulders not having to maintain it and having it sit idle.

Trifle

• Walrus Stache
    • In The Garden
« Reply #2171 on: December 23, 2020, 04:26:36 AM »
DH and I have put 50K into savings this year! Roughly 50% savings rate. First time we've accomplished this.

Congratulations!  What a nice present to give yourself.  Well done. 

Trifle

• Walrus Stache
    • In The Garden
« Reply #2172 on: December 23, 2020, 04:27:30 AM »
I finally made the call to sell a piece of vacation property I had in the mountains and was underutilized (and not a candidate for rental). Ended up having a very easy transaction selling to a neighbor using a RE attorney. Had the money in an investment account within 24 hours of clearing escrow. While I did have a lot of personal investment in the property, it feels like a weight has been lifted off my shoulders not having to maintain it and having it sit idle.

Nice job.  It feels so good to simplify.  And now all those little green workers are on the job for you!

dougules

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #2173 on: December 26, 2020, 07:17:23 PM »
Holy Fuck!  We're millionaires.

Congrats! That's seriously amazing. I can't wait to say that myself (though that is a long way off for us).

We just hit $2M net worth.  I can't believe how fast it went. 

Alternatepriorities

• Handlebar Stache
  • Engineer, explorer, investor
    • Alternate Priorities
« Reply #2174 on: December 26, 2020, 08:16:22 PM »

Congrats! That's seriously amazing. I can't wait to say that myself (though that is a long way off for us).

The first million really is the hardest part... congratulations and thanks for the encouragement!
« Last Edit: December 26, 2020, 09:58:19 PM by Alternatepriorities »

dougules

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #2175 on: December 27, 2020, 11:07:01 PM »

The first million really is the hardest part... congratulations and thanks for the encouragement!

I just wish I could get to see the look on friends' and coworkers' faces if I said that.  Just getting to $1M net worth is unfathomable to some of them, less yet $2M.

Huffduf41

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #2176 on: December 30, 2020, 07:15:32 AM »

Crazy how much easier the second one was....

Fomerly known as something

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #2177 on: December 31, 2020, 04:25:15 PM »
I too am now a multimillionaire.  I knew I would be in time for a few years now and figured it was a 2021 thing with no market correction, but wow, holy moly.

caseyzee

• Stubble
« Reply #2178 on: January 04, 2021, 01:42:45 PM »
I'm a millionaire!

I know most people say it's no big deal, but I swear I have tears of joy and I'm just so grateful to be where I am.  I'm a lucky, lucky person.

Disclaimer - I am old, especially for this site.  I'm 51.  I calculate my net worth quarterly, and just crossed over with the last check in.

I'm so grateful because I truly feel like I've had some challenges.  My Mom had a stroke when I was 26.  She was only 52.  And my siblings and I supported her for the next 20 years through ever more complex living arrangements - starting at assisted living and graduating to a full scale nursing home.  Yeah, that shit's not cheap.  But, you deal with the life you have, I guess, and she had as good a 20 years as you can have in those circumstances.

10 years ago I had a pair of twins, and I've always been the sole parent.  Their birth coincided with the stock market downturn and with childcare costs, I had to reduce my 401k contributions down to just 5%.  I still regret that one.  Really regret it.  But, I try to shovel as much as I can in now.

I'm fairly spendy, due mostly to time constraints I think.  I don't shop at a grocery store unless it is between work and home.  I spend money on pre chopped mirepoix, rather than chopping myself, again to save time, yada, yada.

I'm at about 22% home equity, the rest retirement type savings.  Unfortunately, I don't see myself being able to retire until my house is paid off.  I've got 8.5 more years to go.  I live in a fairly HCOL area and my 1080 squares costs me just over $3000 a month for PITI.  I work in a dying industry and I hope to ride this train til the end, but it's possible we won't make it for those 8.5 years.  If that happens, I'll explore moving to a LCOL area and calling it a day, healthcare willing.

Well, now I'm a two-millionaire!  I calculate quarterly, just passed over for the Jan 1st check up.  So, that took about 3.5 years.  Home equity sits at 23%.  Still need a clear path to continuous health care to retire, but still super excited and still in awe about where I am.

dougules

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #2179 on: January 04, 2021, 02:23:26 PM »
Congrats!  We seem to be right on about the same schedule. (And millionaire in your 50s is by no means at all old)

taco_sushi

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #2180 on: January 04, 2021, 10:39:37 PM »
This time last year we were at $760k. 6 months ago, we hit the two comma club. Now at $1.3M Net Worth. :) Hitting the two comma club was less dramatic because I wasn’t sure if it would get wiped out by the market. 1.3M NW is an incredible feeling at 37.

Thanks to this community support, I’ve been reading quietly for a while. :)   

Next goal is to reconfigure my assets so its more liquid investment, continue my side hustle that I started in 2020, save another 450k in investable assets to FIRE (or sell our 2 rental properties).

Scubanewbie

• Stubble
« Reply #2181 on: January 12, 2021, 07:39:16 PM »
Hit two commas invested and $1.5m net worth!  I only calc it annually so maybe up or down since then but finished 2020 over the threshold and hoping the next one in a few years to FI.

dougules

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #2182 on: January 13, 2021, 02:49:13 PM »
Hit two commas invested and $1.5m net worth!  I only calc it annually so maybe up or down since then but finished 2020 over the threshold and hoping the next one in a few years to FI.

Welcome to the club!

Glenstache

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #2183 on: January 14, 2021, 12:31:43 PM »
Side note: It is amusing to have spam targeting earning as much as $5 online in a thread with multiple people celebrating the 2 comma club.

Alternatepriorities

• Handlebar Stache
    • Alternate Priorities
« Reply #2184 on: January 14, 2021, 12:59:40 PM »
Side note: It is amusing to have spam targeting earning as much as $5 online in a thread with multiple people celebrating the 2 comma club.
Yeah, I won't even open a new credit card for less than $250 these days...

Also, I love how they play conversion games in a money app just like so many of the actual games. Nothing says "legitimate way to make money" like obscuring the value of of the production...  /end snark

Tortoise Banker

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
  • The winning strategy is simple, but not easy.
    • Tortoise Banker
« Reply #2185 on: January 21, 2021, 02:14:55 PM »
$700,000 portfolio, and $1,150,000 net worth after Inauguration Day's market performance!

marty998

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #2186 on: January 22, 2021, 02:39:54 AM »
Found out I’m getting a big pay rise today. One that is bigger than my starting annual salary many moons ago as a lowly trainee tax accountant.

Seems that investments are not the only thing that compounds haha.

grantmeaname

• CM*MW 2023 Attendees
  • Walrus Stache
  • Cast me away from yesterday's things
« Reply #2187 on: January 22, 2021, 05:55:53 AM »
WHOA congrats!

Alternatepriorities

• Handlebar Stache
    • Alternate Priorities
« Reply #2188 on: January 22, 2021, 07:14:20 PM »
With this post I'll joint the one comma club!

It seems fitting as our NW left the club this week for greener pastures and I have no doubt this forum expedited that move. Thank you!

If any of you are visiting Alaska this summer and wants a cup of coffee or an insider tour, I have some spare time!

Trifle

• Walrus Stache
    • In The Garden
« Reply #2189 on: January 23, 2021, 03:00:45 AM »
Congrats @Alternatepriorities!  Well done

SwordGuy

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #2190 on: January 26, 2021, 09:41:29 PM »
I've never felt so happy that a lady-friend of mine is complaining about how she's being treated, but I'm ecstatic.

She got Covid and was put in the ICU, now she's in a rehab facility complaining about the nurses, facility, food, etc.

Happy!   Happy!   Joy!   Joy!

Sounds like she's going to pull thru.

Glenstache

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #2191 on: January 27, 2021, 10:34:58 AM »
I've never felt so happy that a lady-friend of mine is complaining about how she's being treated, but I'm ecstatic.

She got Covid and was put in the ICU, now she's in a rehab facility complaining about the nurses, facility, food, etc.

Great news.  A friend of mine just finsihed a 3 week bout of covid that had him on the edge of hospitalization (and would have been had there been capacity where he lives). His comment to me yesterday was that it is good to be able to breathe again. He was also likely one of the unlucky souls who was on his second round as he likely had covid in July as well. I'll be celebrating once I get vaccinated, that's for sure!

Alternatepriorities

• Handlebar Stache
    • Alternate Priorities
« Reply #2192 on: January 27, 2021, 11:46:41 AM »

Great news.  A friend of mine just finsihed a 3 week bout of covid that had him on the edge of hospitalization (and would have been had there been capacity where he lives). His comment to me yesterday was that it is good to be able to breathe again. He was also likely one of the unlucky souls who was on his second round as he likely had covid in July as well. I'll be celebrating once I get vaccinated, that's for sure!

DW's great aunt is 92. She had flu like symptoms so she got tested and found out it was Covid. She was fully recovered two days after the test. This really is the damnedest virus.

nereo

• Senior Mustachian
    • Here's how you can support science today:
« Reply #2193 on: January 27, 2021, 02:55:48 PM »

It took me a couple reads to understand this post.
My grandmother was the quintessential grump. But we learned that as long as she was complaining she was in relatively good health and spirits. It was only when she stopped making such comments (“...oh, everything is ok I guess”) that we worried.

SwordGuy

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #2194 on: January 27, 2021, 03:21:15 PM »

It took me a couple reads to understand this post.
My grandmother was the quintessential grump. But we learned that as long as she was complaining she was in relatively good health and spirits. It was only when she stopped making such comments (“...oh, everything is ok I guess”) that we worried.

Exactly how I meant it!

chaskavitch

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #2195 on: January 30, 2021, 04:17:38 PM »
Even with the stock market shenanigans the last few days, as of our end of month accounting we've tipped over into three two commas!  I know it will go back down, but it's the first time I've seen it :)

Edit - Thanks @dreadmoose for pointing out that sadly, I am not a billionaire.
« Last Edit: January 30, 2021, 04:57:59 PM by chaskavitch »

dreadmoose

• Bristles
  • Compounding
« Reply #2196 on: January 30, 2021, 04:19:48 PM »
Even with the stock market shenanigans the last few days, as of our end of month accounting we've tipped over into three commas!  I know it will go back down, but it's the first time I've seen it :)

3 commas... you're a billionaire?

Congrats if it's true... though I wonder if any billionaires are hanging out on MMM forums. Also major congrats if it's millionaire and I'm missing something.

chaskavitch

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #2197 on: January 30, 2021, 04:56:50 PM »
Even with the stock market shenanigans the last few days, as of our end of month accounting we've tipped over into three commas!  I know it will go back down, but it's the first time I've seen it :)

Congrats if it's true... though I wonder if any billionaires are hanging out on MMM forums. Also major congrats if it's millionaire and I'm missing something.

Hahahaha.  No.  I'll fix that.  I was too excited to correctly proofread, I guess!

couponvan

• Walrus Stache
    • My journal
« Reply #2198 on: February 01, 2021, 02:15:11 PM »

Hahahaha.  No.  I'll fix that.  I was too excited to correctly proofread, I guess!
Well....it has been a GameStop month.

Alternatepriorities

• Handlebar Stache
    • Alternate Priorities
« Reply #2199 on: February 01, 2021, 02:50:20 PM »

Well....it has been a GameStop month.
I what the biggest gains and losses will be when the dust settles from this

Wow, a phone plan for fifteen bucks!