Author Topic: Celebrations Thread  (Read 679177 times)

dougules

• Handlebar Stache
Re: Celebrations Thread
« Reply #1850 on: October 23, 2018, 03:35:37 PM »
Earlier this year I decided to apply to a new Project at work, I got the job, and even though it is a lateral move, i received a 10.7% raise. That is the highest i have ever gotten, and it puts me just under my salary goal i wanted to reach by 30, i am 27. Also, the salary put me at my Megacorps reported 'Med' salary for my job type, this is the first time that has happened, which melted away my feelings of being underpaid for the same work.

Nice.  It's an even bigger percentage jump in your savings rate (assuming you don't change your spending). 

happy

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #1851 on: November 01, 2018, 02:52:45 PM »
On 6 months long service leave half pay. And maybe I won't have to go back.

couponvan

• Magnum Stache
    • My journal
« Reply #1852 on: November 01, 2018, 06:01:15 PM »
Got my biopsy back from lymph nodes this week. No cancer! 6 weeks off paid disability leave to recover and 2 extra months FMLA for good measure. For all the ladies out there - schedule those mammograms, and donít skimp there. Cancer treatments are expensive without insurance. My bill so far is $157, for one out of network nurse. Thatís worth its own celebration!!

NinetyFour

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #1853 on: November 02, 2018, 05:20:18 AM »
So so so happy for you!!!

I am doing annual mammograms.  :)

Glenstache

• Handlebar Stache
  • Target FI date 2027 (maybe?)
« Reply #1854 on: November 02, 2018, 10:40:11 AM »
Got my biopsy back from lymph nodes this week. No cancer! 6 weeks off paid disability leave to recover and 2 extra months FMLA for good measure. For all the ladies out there - schedule those mammograms, and donít skimp there. Cancer treatments are expensive without insurance. My bill so far is $157, for one out of network nurse. Thatís worth its own celebration!!

Congrats. That is great news! I'd add in (for ladies and gents) to also get derm exams for melanoma. I picked up a few new surgery scars for lymph nodes and removals this year for that one. Catch it early!

SwordGuy

• Magnum Stache
    • Flipping Fayetteville
« Reply #1855 on: November 06, 2018, 05:29:08 PM »
Rental #3, which I spent the summer renovating, is now rented out.  Hurray!

Dogastrophe

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #1856 on: November 08, 2018, 12:29:48 PM »
I just placed my first ever trade to purchase an ETF for my RRSP account!

dougules

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #1857 on: November 08, 2018, 02:23:12 PM »

With any luck the first of many. 

Dogastrophe

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #1858 on: November 08, 2018, 04:00:13 PM »

With any luck the first of many.

It will be.  We are pulling all $$ out of current high mer mutual funds and going to look after on our own.

Trifele

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #1859 on: November 08, 2018, 04:36:07 PM »
Rental #3, which I spent the summer renovating, is now rented out.  Hurray!

Congrats @SwordGuy -- this is great!  You and @sammybiker are my heroes.  I'm a groupie and wanna-be landlord.

LD_TAndK

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #1860 on: November 13, 2018, 04:59:26 AM »
Just wrapped up my second year biking to work:
Biked  Miles   Drove  Percent Biked
Year 1: 18729405178.57
Year 2:21134462888.28
Total:39863867983.44

The bad is I've had several stressful and threatening encounters with drivers (and a police officer) that I've lost sleep over and made me subconsciously view all drivers as potential enemies (good for my safety but bad for my mental health).

The good is I'm in great shape, I've saved about ~200 gallons of gasoline from entering the atmosphere, I've gone from afraid to replace a chain to a competent bike mechanic and I've discovered a new hobby and am part of the local riding club.

dougules

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #1861 on: November 13, 2018, 11:08:53 AM »
Just wrapped up my second year biking to work:
Biked  Miles   Drove  Percent Biked
Year 1: 18729405178.57
Year 2:21134462888.28
Total:39863867983.44

The bad is I've had several stressful and threatening encounters with drivers (and a police officer) that I've lost sleep over and made me subconsciously view all drivers as potential enemies (good for my safety but bad for my mental health).

The good is I'm in great shape, I've saved about ~200 gallons of gasoline from entering the atmosphere, I've gone from afraid to replace a chain to a competent bike mechanic and I've discovered a new hobby and am part of the local riding club.

Awesome.  I used to bike a lot when I worked closer to home, but I'm a bit further now on not-so-bike-friendly roads.  I've biked a few times when I had to work on a Saturday, but it's a significant effort.  Biking that far also aggravates an illness.  FIRE should reduce my driving quite a bit.  Most of the rest of my life is within a much more bikable circle. 

JCGreen

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #1862 on: November 17, 2018, 01:45:25 AM »
Hospital financial aid paid all of my bill after insurance! It was a little over $3000 from an ER visit.

I spent about 2 hours collection documents and talking to people. Turns out, my annual salary was just under the limit to qualify (good and bad). It didn't even matter that my HSA had enough money to fully cover the bill. I was originally just trying to get it reduced, as I thought it was a little excessive.  There were a few separate bills for the ER doc and imaging consultant, but they were both about $20, so I just paid it.