Author Topic: Celebrations Thread  (Read 678176 times)

NinetyFour

• Walrus Stache
Re: Celebrations Thread
« Reply #1700 on: January 14, 2018, 09:41:27 AM »
Awesome!!!  CONGRATULATIONS!  :D

Zamboni

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #1701 on: January 14, 2018, 07:17:45 PM »
Thank you!

I was not expecting this in January. The first half of this month in the market has been ridiculous.

ozbeach

• Bristles
« Reply #1702 on: January 14, 2018, 11:27:37 PM »
I joined the double-comma club at close of trading today :)

HappierAtHome

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #1703 on: January 14, 2018, 11:29:53 PM »
I joined the double-comma club at close of trading today :)

Congrats ozbeach!

Zamboni

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #1704 on: January 15, 2018, 05:28:37 AM »
Awesome, ozbeach!

newgirl

• Stubble
« Reply #1705 on: January 15, 2018, 06:57:34 AM »
By selling a bunch of crap I didn't need I paid off CC#1 3 months ahead of schedule! CC#2 is in my sights now, already sent an extra $500 payment this month and planning to send another $500 with my next paycheck. I originally was aiming to have this balance paid off by September of this year but now I'm feeling invigorated and my new goal is to pay it off by the end of May. Time to find more crap to sell!

couponvan

• Magnum Stache
    • My journal
« Reply #1706 on: January 15, 2018, 09:24:48 AM »
By selling a bunch of crap I didn't need I paid off CC#1 3 months ahead of schedule! CC#2 is in my sights now, already sent an extra $500 payment this month and planning to send another $500 with my next paycheck. I originally was aiming to have this balance paid off by September of this year but now I'm feeling invigorated and my new goal is to pay it off by the end of May. Time to find more crap to sell!
Congratulations!!! You can do this!!!

couponvan

• Magnum Stache
    • My journal
« Reply #1707 on: January 15, 2018, 09:31:56 AM »
The Van house crossed $1MM invested and $1.5MM net assets!! I'm sure we will be crossing and re crossing this milestone for awhile due to market conditions. Invested doesn't include cash on hand. We also have kid#1 starting college this year, so our $ will shift from saving for retirement to paying for college. We'd always said we wanted $1MM invested before college. I can't believe we actually made it! FIRE goal is $2.0MM and a paid off house. 4 years, 2 months, 2 weeks and 4 days to go....

jakegu3

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #1708 on: January 16, 2018, 02:59:31 PM »
Requested a large (percentage-wise) raise to try to bring my salary up to market value for my position and the work I do. 

I didn't want it to be about the new salary compared to what I have been making, but rather about the results I'm providing on large projects I'm working on, to see if the company values me at market value.  So I phrased it that way when asking and my boss and his boss are both going to bat for me to try to make it happen.

Got the confidence to ask by reading here on the forum, so thanks!

Sister C

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #1709 on: January 16, 2018, 06:36:45 PM »
 Nicely done jakegu3! Sounds like you phrased your request in a smart way,  and that your bosses value your work.  Keep us posted!

Tuskalusa

• Bristles
« Reply #1710 on: January 16, 2018, 07:05:45 PM »
Just quit my job!  We ran the numbers and realized that one of us could FIRE!  Weird to think that I really donít have to work again if I donít want to. Gonna enjoy time with the family. Thanks to the MMM community for helping me get my priorities in order!

NinetyFour

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #1711 on: January 16, 2018, 07:38:04 PM »
Just quit my job!  We ran the numbers and realized that one of us could FIRE!  Weird to think that I really donít have to work again if I donít want to. Gonna enjoy time with the family. Thanks to the MMM community for helping me get my priorities in order!

Woo Hoo!!  Congratulations!!

jengod

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #1712 on: January 25, 2018, 11:34:02 PM »
Crossed $200,000 mark in Fidelity account. Nice to the odometer roll over after hanging in the 190s for a while.

shadesofgreen

• Bristles
« Reply #1713 on: January 26, 2018, 11:38:49 AM »
Crossed $200,000 mark in Fidelity account. Nice to the odometer roll over after hanging in the 190s for a while.

Congrats! I am right there with you on crossing the 200K barrier.

Riff

• Stubble
« Reply #1714 on: January 28, 2018, 03:47:58 PM »
We just crossed $500k in our investments!  Took us a long time to get here, but the little green minions are doing the heavy lifting now.

dougules

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #1715 on: January 29, 2018, 11:49:45 AM »
We just crossed $500k in our investments!  Took us a long time to get here, but the little green minions are doing the heavy lifting now.

Congrats.  You've got a lot of momentum up now. 

chaskavitch

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #1716 on: January 29, 2018, 12:15:20 PM »
Woo, I just got a completely unexpected promotion to a new position in my department!  It comes with almost a $10,000 raise, so I'm upping my 401k contributions :)  Still not maxing, but I'm getting closer.

shadesofgreen

• Bristles
« Reply #1717 on: January 30, 2018, 10:22:05 AM »
Woo, I just got a completely unexpected promotion to a new position in my department!  It comes with almost a $10,000 raise, so I'm upping my 401k contributions :)  Still not maxing, but I'm getting closer.

That is some excellent news! Congrats!

newgirl

• Stubble
« Reply #1718 on: January 30, 2018, 10:49:16 AM »
YES YES YES YES! For the first time EVER, I have set my 401k contribution level and HSA contribution level to max both plans for 2018!!

This is a huge step for me as a late bloomer in financial literacy. In terms of percentages I am now saving 23% of my gross pay not including the employer contributions to either account.

chaskavitch

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #1719 on: January 30, 2018, 11:03:37 AM »

That is some excellent news! Congrats!

Thanks!  I'm up to about 14k/year contributed by myself, 20k with my employer match, and I'm SUPER excited :)

YES YES YES YES! For the first time EVER, I have set my 401k contribution level and HSA contribution level to max both plans for 2018!!

This is a huge step for me as a late bloomer in financial literacy. In terms of percentages I am now saving 23% of my gross pay not including the employer contributions to either account.

Yay, congratulations! 

newgirl

• Stubble
« Reply #1720 on: January 31, 2018, 01:22:48 PM »
Achieved a 30 day age of money today with YNAB :)

I know this is the subject of... differing opinions on this forum, but I like the metric and I'm pretty excited about it!

jakegu3

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #1721 on: February 08, 2018, 03:01:32 PM »
Requested a large (percentage-wise) raise to try to bring my salary up to market value for my position and the work I do. 

I didn't want it to be about the new salary compared to what I have been making, but rather about the results I'm providing on large projects I'm working on, to see if the company values me at market value.  So I phrased it that way when asking and my boss and his boss are both going to bat for me to try to make it happen.

Nicely done jakegu3! Sounds like you phrased your request in a smart way,  and that your bosses value your work.  Keep us posted!

Got the good news today, they are giving me almost as much as I asked for, and after bonuses it puts me where I wanted to be.  Things are looking up!

dougules

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #1722 on: February 09, 2018, 11:04:25 AM »

Got the good news today, they are giving me almost as much as I asked for, and after bonuses it puts me where I wanted to be.  Things are looking up!

Congrats! 

Cherry Lane

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #1723 on: February 13, 2018, 08:47:48 PM »
I made my FI number today!  91 days before my planned RE.
And today I reached it again....

couponvan

• Magnum Stache
    • My journal
« Reply #1724 on: February 13, 2018, 10:05:57 PM »
Lol. Hope it sticks this time!

dougules

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #1725 on: February 14, 2018, 10:56:43 AM »
Lol. Hope it sticks this time!

Congrats #2.  These last few paychecks are going a touch further with the market back down.

zeli2033

• Bristles
« Reply #1726 on: February 18, 2018, 08:40:49 AM »
Excited to have found this thread!

DH and I just converted our Roth IRA shares to VTSAX. Finally each had the $10,000+ requirement! Definitely a small scale celebration compared to some others Iíve read here but so happy to have crossed that milestone!

marielle

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #1727 on: February 19, 2018, 06:50:08 AM »
Excited to have found this thread!

DH and I just converted our Roth IRA shares to VTSAX. Finally each had the $10,000+ requirement! Definitely a small scale celebration compared to some others Iíve read here but so happy to have crossed that milestone!

Congrats! Everyone says the first 10k is the hardest! I'll be excited to reach this too, hopefully not too long from now. I maxed a traditional and a Roth the past two years (I worked only 4 months the first year hence the Roth), so it's a little frustrating that I have that much invested and it's all still VTSMX.

Chrissy

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #1728 on: February 20, 2018, 05:36:46 AM »
I got a 4.5% raise at my job!

Congratulations!

vaskea

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #1729 on: February 20, 2018, 09:01:35 AM »

Congratulations

haflander

• Stubble
« Reply #1730 on: February 22, 2018, 03:57:13 PM »
I finished paying off my school loans! For some reference I'm 27, graduated in 2014, and took a total of about 20k. I finished paying them off in less than 4 years.

Now I'm shifting my focus to my only other debt, a stupid car loan. I'm about 24 months into a 60-month loan but would like to pay it off asap. I'm still making minimum payments right now but plan to change that as soon as I settle into a new budget routine after starting a new job...I haven't even been paid yet.

Trifele

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #1731 on: February 22, 2018, 04:13:04 PM »
I finished paying off my school loans! For some reference I'm 27, graduated in 2014, and took a total of about 20k. I finished paying them off in less than 4 years.

Now I'm shifting my focus to my only other debt, a stupid car loan. I'm about 24 months into a 60-month loan but would like to pay it off asap. I'm still making minimum payments right now but plan to change that as soon as I settle into a new budget routine after starting a new job...I haven't even been paid yet.

Nice job!!  Onward to that car loan -- slay the beast!

Livingthedream55

• Bristles
« Reply #1732 on: February 26, 2018, 06:48:25 AM »
I just paid the last college bill for my younger child. Both of my daughters went to state schools and I cash flowed the tuition for both - no loans! (DD will finish in three years thanks to AP courses from high school and a couple of online summer courses).

Savings rate (for me) gets to go even higher now!  : 0 )

couponvan

• Magnum Stache
    • My journal
« Reply #1733 on: February 26, 2018, 12:26:33 PM »
I just paid the last college bill for my younger child. Both of my daughters went to state schools and I cash flowed the tuition for both - no loans! (DD will finish in three years thanks to AP courses from high school and a couple of online summer courses).

Savings rate (for me) gets to go even higher now!  : 0 )

CONGRATULATIONS!!!

As the parent that is beginning the college cash flow gauntlet, I commend your ability to get the kids through this. 

Zamboni

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #1734 on: February 26, 2018, 06:33:02 PM »
Great Job, Livingthedream55!

marty998

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #1735 on: February 27, 2018, 02:13:45 AM »
I think a few congratulations are in order for @arebelspy, the old timer seems to live here and has racked up somewhat of an anniversary :)

If he logs in for another 13 minutes he'll have spent 200 full days online on our dear forum.

mustachepungoeshere

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #1736 on: February 27, 2018, 02:17:12 AM »
I think a few congratulations are in order for @arebelspy, the old timer seems to live here and has racked up somewhat of an anniversary :)

If he logs in for another 13 minutes he'll have spent 200 full days online on our dear forum.

Two. Hundred. Days.

Congratulations... I guess?

grantmeaname

• Magnum Stache
  • Cast me away from yesterday's things
« Reply #1737 on: February 27, 2018, 05:07:19 AM »
I’m only 12 hours and 8 minutes and 140 days behind that.

DeskJockey2028

• Pencil Stache
  • Aiming for 2028
« Reply #1738 on: February 27, 2018, 07:24:45 AM »
Finally, after several years, just paid the last of our crazy Credit Card bills off. The last year+ has been all zero interest but that's ending soon. So as of this morning's payment confirmation we have zero dollars being carried forward on our credit cards. Feels good! Our only remaining debt is our car loan (just bought a used car, will have it paid off in 2019) and our mortgage.

grantmeaname

• Magnum Stache
  • Cast me away from yesterday's things
« Reply #1739 on: February 27, 2018, 08:05:41 AM »
Hell yes! Great work!

Inaya

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #1740 on: February 27, 2018, 07:38:55 PM »
Annual review went very well today, and as a result of a raise and generous bonus, I now have a six-digit salary! I never in my wildest dreams thought I'd ever be making this much money.

NinetyFour

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #1741 on: February 28, 2018, 07:52:41 AM »
Annual review went very well today, and as a result of a raise and generous bonus, I now have a six-digit salary! I never in my wildest dreams thought I'd ever be making this much money.

YAY!!!!!  :D

couponvan

• Magnum Stache
    • My journal
« Reply #1742 on: March 02, 2018, 07:02:18 AM »

We knew you could do it! Congrats!

Trifele

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #1743 on: March 09, 2018, 09:47:52 AM »
Paid off the mortgage today -- woo hoo!!  Feels really good to check that one off my FIRE to-do list.  Getting closer!!   

ToughMother

• Stubble
« Reply #1744 on: March 10, 2018, 10:52:44 AM »
Had enough FU money to say FU!! 

My job over the last 1.5 years was relentless and at times, unbearable.  I just gave notice and will start a much lower paying job that should be enjoyable and give me time in my life to reintroduce all the fun things I enjoy doing (e.g., softball, pottery, band) that I've given up.  Also, the dog will get walked more frequently and my spouse will actually see me!  Other bonuses: shorter commute, and I can take the bus for free during the academic year.

I don't have enough to be financially independent yet, but I'm able to downsize jobs, save less each year, and still hit FIRE on schedule in Feb 2021.

I'm still finishing out my current gig, but I can breathe a bit better already!

(I'll need support when I'm not saving as much -- I'm an awesome saver and not being able to do so at the level I have the last few years will be rough!)

dougules

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #1745 on: March 12, 2018, 10:28:42 AM »
Paid off the mortgage today -- woo hoo!!  Feels really good to check that one off my FIRE to-do list.  Getting closer!!

It feels good, doesn't it!?  We paid ours off a couple years ago, and it's great to know that the house is totally ours. 

Blindsquirrel

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #1746 on: March 23, 2018, 06:56:47 PM »
  Closing on the sale of an investment house very shortly and the mortgage dies the day the check clears.

zeli2033

• Bristles
« Reply #1747 on: March 27, 2018, 09:20:07 AM »
This is the first month Iíve made an extra payment toward my student loan debt! Finally getting the snowball started and after getting paid this Friday, total extra paid toward the loan this month will be ~$4k!

Trifele

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #1748 on: March 27, 2018, 11:10:09 AM »
This is the first month Iíve made an extra payment toward my student loan debt! Finally getting the snowball started and after getting paid this Friday, total extra paid toward the loan this month will be ~$4k!

Great job @zeli2033!  The day you pay off that last student loan is awesome -- you'll feel like you can fly!

zeli2033

• Bristles
« Reply #1749 on: March 27, 2018, 11:20:20 AM »
Thank you, @Trifele ! I imagine you feel a bit like flying yourself after paying off that mortgage - CONGRATS!