Author Topic: Celebrations Thread  (Read 476481 times)

DieHard_772

• Bristles
Re: Celebrations Thread
« Reply #1650 on: October 29, 2017, 01:41:15 PM »
Hit $100k stash!  (It may be back to $99.9k after the markets close this afternoon.)

That is awesome, congratulations.
I am looking forward to us getting there as soon as we can too

katstache92

• Stubble
« Reply #1651 on: November 01, 2017, 08:22:13 AM »
I just opened and funded (with $3k) my first non-tax sheltered Vanguard account.

Once the transfer goes through I'll also have broken through $140k.  Woot!

For any other "it's going to be hard/annoying/time consuming" procrastinators out there, opening the account was super simple and way less painful than I thought it would be.  Good job Vanguard.

chasingthegoodlife

• Stubble
« Reply #1652 on: November 01, 2017, 01:44:43 PM »
Nice work katshache!

My celebration is that my SO has pretty much finished paying off his half of our mortgage! (We use offset accounts, not sure if that is just an Australian thing, so the line is a bit fuzzy).

That money will now be funnelled  into the stash. It really feels like things are picking up speed now!

HappierAtHome

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #1653 on: November 01, 2017, 05:18:48 PM »
Nice work katshache!

My celebration is that my SO has pretty much finished paying off his half of our mortgage! (We use offset accounts, not sure if that is just an Australian thing, so the line is a bit fuzzy).

That money will now be funnelled  into the stash. It really feels like things are picking up speed now!

Congrats chasingthegoodlife!

Offset accounts are just an Aussie thing - and if you talk about "paying off" your mortgage confused Americans will tell you it's not the optimal choice :-P

chasingthegoodlife

• Stubble
« Reply #1654 on: November 01, 2017, 08:19:44 PM »
thanks HAH.

Perhaps I should say ‘we now have a fully funded emergency fund and no mortgage expense’.

Mrs. D.

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #1655 on: November 05, 2017, 08:20:27 PM »
Recently found a unicorn job for a SAHM. About 10 hours a week, no commute, weekend hours so no need for childcare. Our plan for the extra income is to put at least 50% into savings and use the rest for quality of life improvements. Plus the people I work with are great, it's a community in which I am personally invested and I'm able to keep myself marketable in my chosen field. Oh, and DH is getting much needed 1-1 time with our son. Win-win-win-win-win-win-win!

MrsWolfeRN

• Bristles
« Reply #1656 on: November 09, 2017, 02:21:58 PM »
New baby boy arrived yesterday. VBAC according to plan. We are doing well.

stealthwealth

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #1657 on: November 09, 2017, 04:38:25 PM »
Congratulations on your new child! 

My household's net worth crossed the $1M mark for the first time today - I'm 39 and my wife is a couple years younger.  Our home equity is about $120k of that - I don't think it will feel real until that number is in a single account, or at least all in liquid assets.  It could go back below in the morning, but tonight that milestone stands.  Still a weird feeling - I don't *feel* like I'm a millionnaire, but yet...I somehow am. 

LD_TAndK

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #1658 on: November 13, 2017, 05:08:25 AM »
Congratulations everyone! I just hit a milestone of my own:

Just finished my first year bike commuting. I biked 187/238 working days ( ~78.5%) for 2940 miles! That's almost a cross country bike trip.

dreadmoose

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
  • Just starting out..
« Reply #1659 on: November 13, 2017, 04:00:12 PM »
Just finished my first year bike commuting. I biked 187/238 working days ( ~78.5%) for 2940 miles! That's almost a cross country bike trip.

Congratulations, that's an amazing achievement and a long commute at ~15.7 miles per day! At 78.5% it looks like you must have biked even in inclement weather lots, nice work.
Just starting on my FIRE journey, hopefully posting here creates accountability and eventually lowers my very anti-mustachian life habits.

CogentCap

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #1660 on: November 14, 2017, 08:56:25 AM »
Paid off another school loan today! 

chasingthegoodlife

• Stubble
« Reply #1661 on: November 14, 2017, 12:05:01 PM »
Woo woo hardcore biking and goodbye to student loans!

Canadian Ben

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #1662 on: November 14, 2017, 12:19:26 PM »
Congratulations everyone! I just hit a milestone of my own:

That's impressive! I'm at 6 drives to work since August, but that streak will come to an end very soon. Do you bike in winter too?

LadyDividend

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
    • Lady Dividend
« Reply #1663 on: November 14, 2017, 01:16:40 PM »
I just opened and funded (with $3k) my first non-tax sheltered Vanguard account.

Once the transfer goes through I'll also have broken through $140k.  Woot!

Good stuff! That means that perhaps you have maxed out your tax sheltered accounts? Pretty damn inspiring!
Straight, sensible financial and lifestyle talk. From one Lady to you.

http://LadyDividend.com

LD_TAndK

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #1664 on: November 15, 2017, 10:34:44 AM »
That's impressive! I'm at 6 drives to work since August, but that streak will come to an end very soon. Do you bike in winter too?

I'm in Maryland so the winters are mild and I can bike. But we do get alot of rain and I skip those days. How's the biking season up there?

zephyr911

• Magnum Stache
  • I'm just happy to be here. \m/ ^_^ \m/
    • Pinhook Development LLC
« Reply #1665 on: November 21, 2017, 10:12:44 AM »
Both happened yesterday:

1) Reached an agreement in principle to merge my two real estate startups into a bigger, stronger, faster company with $800K in assets and another $800K pending purchase in Dec/Jan. This will provide enough supplemental income to ensure I navigate the early stages of FIRE without a cash crunch, while my investments compound up to full FI.

2) Gave notice to quit my full-time govt job before Christmas. Age 39 and 5 months, time in workforce 17 years.
Semi-FIREd December 2017, part-time entrepreneur, lover of puppies and saltwater.

G-dog

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #1666 on: November 21, 2017, 10:33:38 AM »
Both happened yesterday:

1) Reached an agreement in principle to merge my two real estate startups into a bigger, stronger, faster company with $800K in assets and another $800K pending purchase in Dec/Jan. This will provide enough supplemental income to ensure I navigate the early stages of FIRE without a cash crunch, while my investments compound up to full FI.

2) Gave notice to quit my full-time govt job before Christmas. Age 39 and 5 months, time in workforce 17 years.

Ooh! Big, big, BIG! Congrats.

chasingthegoodlife

• Stubble
« Reply #1667 on: November 21, 2017, 12:20:35 PM »
Wow! Congrats! Fantastic news.

couponvan

• Magnum Stache
    • My journal
« Reply #1668 on: November 21, 2017, 12:47:04 PM »
That's amazing! Congrats zephyer911!
Why the hell are we going shopping? Buy sh*t, return other sh*t, go through sh*t and donate sh*t. Complain about having too much sh*t. Repeat. (Bracken Joy 2/17)

Freedom2016

• Bristles
« Reply #1669 on: November 21, 2017, 07:22:04 PM »
We crossed the $1 million net worth mark today! Kind of exciting. :)

NinetyFour

• Magnum Stache
  • 127 days until Freedom!
« Reply #1670 on: November 21, 2017, 07:23:00 PM »
VERY exciting!!!  :D
My Journal

Countdown to Freedom:  127 days; 14 weeks of classes; 42 days of classes

BFGirl

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #1671 on: November 22, 2017, 07:58:35 AM »
Mint just showed my net worth at 1.5 million :)

BFGirl

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #1672 on: November 22, 2017, 08:00:44 AM »

Congratulations!

dougules

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #1673 on: November 22, 2017, 11:12:00 AM »

Only kind of?  Congrats!

couponvan

• Magnum Stache
    • My journal
« Reply #1674 on: November 23, 2017, 02:25:00 PM »
Mint just showed my net worth at 1.5 million :)

Congratulations - what date did you cross the $1.0M mark?  Just curious if it was as much shorter for you as it was for us.  I think it took 13-14 years for the first $1.0, and then only 3-4 for the next $.5...
Why the hell are we going shopping? Buy sh*t, return other sh*t, go through sh*t and donate sh*t. Complain about having too much sh*t. Repeat. (Bracken Joy 2/17)

Slinky

• Stubble
« Reply #1675 on: November 27, 2017, 10:30:02 AM »
Both happened yesterday:

NICE.

dougules

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #1676 on: December 01, 2017, 11:07:44 AM »
I just got a 3% spot raise over and above my normal annual raise that happened back in September.  The company has had a serious retention problem, and I think they're trying to step it up. 

Joggernot

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #1677 on: December 01, 2017, 04:09:49 PM »
We were directly affected by Hurricane Harvey.  Since that time I (we) have been working with contractors, insurance inspectors, adjusters, agents, FEMA, TWIA, remote document reviewers, etc. trying to get enough money to cover our losses (minus deductibles, of course).  Finally, yesterday's visit to TWIA (insurance) and subsequent call to the remote document reviewer resulted in a 20% increase in the amount they originally authorized.  Win!

dougules

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #1678 on: December 04, 2017, 11:29:07 AM »
We were directly affected by Hurricane Harvey.  Since that time I (we) have been working with contractors, insurance inspectors, adjusters, agents, FEMA, TWIA, remote document reviewers, etc. trying to get enough money to cover our losses (minus deductibles, of course).  Finally, yesterday's visit to TWIA (insurance) and subsequent call to the remote document reviewer resulted in a 20% increase in the amount they originally authorized.  Win!

That sounds like a nice pick-me-up after a hard time. 

Trifele

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #1679 on: December 07, 2017, 04:37:36 AM »
It's been an excellent year!  Lots to celebrate:

1) We recently passed over the $1M mark for NW, and are now chugging for $1M in investments. Planning t FIRE in August of 2019 if all continues according to plan. 

2) Today is 2 years in remission from my cancer.  Happy cancer-versary to me.  :)  Feeling very well and living each day with gratitude.   

NinetyFour

• Magnum Stache
  • 127 days until Freedom!
« Reply #1680 on: December 07, 2017, 06:01:30 AM »
Excellent news!  Congrats on the finances and that's wonderful about the cancer-versary!!  :)
My Journal

Countdown to Freedom:  127 days; 14 weeks of classes; 42 days of classes

jengod

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #1681 on: December 09, 2017, 07:58:16 PM »
Fidelity account has shown almost $6000 of dividends and long-term capital gains in the past 10 days. All will be reinvested and remain so for 20+ years (we are 40 and these are retirement accounts).

It's just nice to see the snowball power of long-term investing and whatnot!
Waste is lost profit made visible. #zerowastehome #permaculture

FirePaddle

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #1682 on: December 11, 2017, 05:52:58 PM »
We joined the double comma club today! Our house is worth ~$220k with ~75k left on the loan, so we're feeling good about those too! I think our FIRE number is somewhere between, well, $1M and $1.4M, depending on where we live, but we're thinking about part timing it soon to ease into it. Exciting!

Well, thanks to Mr. Market and our 69% savings rate, we're now at over $1M invested + our house + our stuff! Man, it's going to be a transition moving to spending instead of saving. Plan is still to switch to part time at some point...

zephyr911

• Magnum Stache
  • I'm just happy to be here. \m/ ^_^ \m/
    • Pinhook Development LLC
« Reply #1683 on: December 12, 2017, 08:07:43 AM »
We joined the double comma club today! Our house is worth ~$220k with ~75k left on the loan, so we're feeling good about those too! I think our FIRE number is somewhere between, well, $1M and $1.4M, depending on where we live, but we're thinking about part timing it soon to ease into it. Exciting!

Well, thanks to Mr. Market and our 69% savings rate, we're now at over $1M invested + our house + our stuff! Man, it's going to be a transition moving to spending instead of saving. Plan is still to switch to part time at some point...

I support the phased plan. Give yourself time to adjust. :)
Three more days till I never work a full-time job again unless I'm bored enough to go looking for one. Holy shit. Thanks MMM and community.
Semi-FIREd December 2017, part-time entrepreneur, lover of puppies and saltwater.

caseyzee

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #1684 on: December 12, 2017, 09:23:35 AM »
Three more days till I never work a full-time job again unless I'm bored enough to go looking for one. Holy shit. Thanks MMM and community.

Congratulations Zephyr - that is super exciting!

Quote from: FirePaddle on December 11, 2017, 05:52:58 PM
Quote from: FirePaddle on January 25, 2017, 04:34:46 PM

I like the phased idea too.  I work in manufacturing, so that is an unlikely option for me in my current position, but I'm hopeful that by the time I ready to go, either our business has shrunk enough to support that, or I find another part time opportunity.

FirePaddle

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #1685 on: December 12, 2017, 10:34:19 AM »

Congratulations Zephyr - that is super exciting!

Quote from: FirePaddle on December 11, 2017, 05:52:58 PM
Quote from: FirePaddle on January 25, 2017, 04:34:46 PM

I like the phased idea too.  I work in manufacturing, so that is an unlikely option for me in my current position, but I'm hopeful that by the time I ready to go, either our business has shrunk enough to support that, or I find another part time opportunity.

Yes, congrats Zephyr! That's super exciting!

Yea, to go to part time, I'll need to switch from a manager type position to something else, and I'm not exactly sure how that will work. I still have some technical skills, but nothing close to those I manage now. I might be able to still do the job I do now, but only for 3 days a week. I'd need to be much more efficient though. I do fantasize for those 4 day weekends, or not working more than working. The golden handcuffs are being felt though, but I'm at least aware they are there. I'll likely work until we get some amount of a buffer beyond 25x expenses. DW likes her job more than I do, so she'll likely work longer than me.