Author Topic: Celebrations Thread  (Read 339542 times)

FirePaddle

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
Re: Celebrations Thread
« Reply #1450 on: January 06, 2017, 01:28:45 PM »
I'm just getting really excited to join the club, very soon...

It's not our final number, but it's close, and it's just a very neat milestone to be so close to reaching. We're already discussing with our employers about going less than full time soon, so we can have more time to do things we truly enjoy.

OutlierinMA

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
  • FIRED!
Officially retired!
« Reply #1451 on: January 07, 2017, 09:40:54 AM »
Congrats to all above for reaching various milestones!
The best part of the whole situation was the relief/surprise in DH's face when I was able to reassure him that we would have no problem covering the roof repair, and that we could still get Christmas gifts for our kids (instead of just a big red bow on the roof of the house, ha!).
This to me is the best part of mustachianism; I remember my first root canal about 10 years ago, and I had plenty of cash savings and remember clearly how relieved I was that the root canal was not a financial emergency.

I have a major event to share. I stopped working October 15 (having given the boss 2 months notice!), but feeling guilty for leaving, the week before I left I agreed to come back a few days a week February through April for tax season. I immediately regretted it, but was too much of a wimp to take it back. Before Xmas I let them know I may not return, but again was too big of a wimp to be final, even though I knew it was stressing me out to have this hanging over me. Anyway, I finally let them know yesterday. (YAY!!)

As if I didn't feel guilty enough for quitting, now I feel guilty for stringing them along, though that wasn't the intent. In fact, until I emailed yesterday I was considering working the two days a week just to avoid actually quitting. My stomach is actually in knots right now.

In spite of my ongoing guilt I am very happy to be officially retired! Such a relief. I am wondering, has anyone else had this kind of guilt around quitting?

I don't know why I feel so obligated to my employer, who has fired plenty of folks without too much concern over the years. By giving them two months notice in August I forced them to get serious about hiring replacements, after years of telling them I'd like to cut back, but not being able to do so due to staffing issues. So I know my guilt isn't rational.

Really needed to share about this, thanks for "listening".

Izybat

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #1452 on: January 07, 2017, 01:01:37 PM »
I finally totaled up our "net worth". I put it in quotes because I don't include our house in the calculation, for several reasons. (We plan to sell it in a few years and buy a smaller one, for starters. Also, we have no idea what it's currently worth.) Our assets are actually over $100k!! Now granted, we still have debt to pay off  (about $36k), so our net worth isn't actually over $100k, but it's really, really nice to see that number.

RNwastash

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #1453 on: January 10, 2017, 12:33:07 PM »
I officially went part time at work!! My husband and I decided that we can still max out our 403b's and make extra payments on our mortgage and still go on frugal vacations while I work part time.  My quality of life has improved since my trial part time basis for the last month.  Yay!!

couponvan

• Handlebar Stache
    • My journal
« Reply #1454 on: January 11, 2017, 02:15:40 PM »
I officially went part time at work!! My husband and I decided that we can still max out our 403b's and make extra payments on our mortgage and still go on frugal vacations while I work part time.  My quality of life has improved since my trial part time basis for the last month.  Yay!!

Congratulations!  I think PT is the best of both worlds. 
Why the hell are we going shopping? Buy sh*t, return other sh*t, go through sh*t and donate sh*t. Complain about having too much sh*t. Repeat. (Bracken Joy 2/17)

ysette9

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #1455 on: January 12, 2017, 09:25:48 PM »
I added up our numbers last weekend and with the latest market exuberance, we crossed the $1.5M mark. Holy crap! It feels frothy though. I'm just waiting for the markets to remember that the dude who is slated to be in charge next is erratic and irrational and that might not be great for the country. Time will tell though. The markets usually go in the opposite direction as I think they should.
"It'll be great!"

MonkeyJenga

• Walrus Stache
  • Cake or Death?
« Reply #1456 on: January 13, 2017, 06:30:21 PM »
I added up our numbers last weekend and with the latest market exuberance, we crossed the $1.5M mark. Holy crap! It feels frothy though. I'm just waiting for the markets to remember that the dude who is slated to be in charge next is erratic and irrational and that might not be great for the country. Time will tell though. The markets usually go in the opposite direction as I think they should.

Congratulations! Unfortunately, Donald doesn't need to be good for the country for him to be good for the stock market. This is great news for the stock market, because there's no way in hell he's going to be good for the country.
MJ Is A GD Ray of Sunshine

Small Daily Acts of Political Resistance

For one simple action a day texted to you: https://dailyaction.org - text DAILY to 228466 (ACTION)

Indivisible Guide for local groups taking action: https://www.indivisibleguide.com

Dicey

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #1457 on: January 14, 2017, 02:15:13 AM »
Congratulations! Unfortunately, Donald doesn't need to be good for the country for him to be good for the stock market. This is great news for the stock market, because there's no way in hell he's going to be good for the country.
Oh, MJ, I hear you.
I did it! I have a journal!
http://forum.mrmoneymustache.com/journals/a-lot-like-this/
And hell yes, I am still moving confidently in the direction of my dreams...

katstache92

• Stubble
« Reply #1458 on: January 17, 2017, 09:45:54 AM »
Yesterday was my six-figure day!  I finally crossed over the 100k mark in investments!!

I feel a little giddy typing that.

arebelspy

• Administrator
  • Senior Mustachian
« Reply #1459 on: January 17, 2017, 11:35:11 PM »
Yesterday was my six-figure day!  I finally crossed over the 100k mark in investments!!

I feel a little giddy typing that.

Congrats!  :D
We are two former teachers who accumulated a bunch of real estate, retired at 29, and now travel the world full time with a kid.
If you want to know more about me, or how we did that, or see lots of pictures, this Business Insider profile tells our story pretty well.
We (occasionally) blog at AdventuringAlong.com.
You can also read my forum "Journal."

chaskavitch

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #1460 on: January 18, 2017, 01:10:22 PM »
We got rid of our cable TV last month, which will save us about $70/mo.  All we ever did was complain about commercials anyway, so it's a doubly good thing.

Also, my tIRA at Vanguard just got above $10,000, so I qualify for Admiral pricing.  Now all of my accounts are super inexpensive!  Yay VTSAX!  This was the last one lingering down below that value because it was a rollover from a PERA account from grad school, and I was only putting money into the Roth IRA and ignoring the traditional. 

Firette2020

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
    • Teagmore
« Reply #1461 on: January 19, 2017, 06:06:05 PM »
Just set my husband's 401k contributions to max out for 2017.

With the tax deductions from the 401k contributions plus the employer match, it's like he'll be getting a $10,000 bonus :D

I already knew about the advantages of contributing to the 401k, but somehow thinking about it as a $10,000 bonus really makes it more awesome. Perhaps the word "bonus" is more exciting/visceral than "match" and "deduction."
House hacker, solo indie game developer.

Rural

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #1462 on: January 20, 2017, 09:45:51 PM »
Husband got admission letter and assistantship offer to an R1 PhD program close enough for weekend visits. And the stipend is a living wage, and tuition and (I think) fees are covered.

PJ

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #1463 on: January 23, 2017, 02:20:01 PM »
Submitted the last of my expenses for 2016 - later than I should have, but I was sick at the end of the year, and we've been swamped. 

Regardless of timing, they're in.  I should be getting a decent amount back (reimbursements for items purchased, as well as mileage.)  It'll go straight to my CC, of course!
'To be human you must bear witness to justice. Justice is what love looks like in public." 
Dr. Cornel West

Inaya

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #1464 on: January 23, 2017, 02:34:10 PM »
Boss set up a one-on-one meeting out of the blue. I thought I was going to be on notice for my work quality slipping (due to school work and medical issues). Turns out I got a promotion! Time to see if I can actually prevent lifestyle creep!
My Cleverly Titled Journal: http://forum.mrmoneymustache.com/journals/cleverly-titled-journal/
My Cat's Facebook Page (yes, really, and I'm not above begging for likes): www.facebook.com/chicagotau
Tau now has an Instagram: www.instagram.com/chicagotau or #chicagotau
Ting referral ($25 credit!): https://zds8505smfe.ting.com/

Izybat

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #1465 on: January 23, 2017, 04:51:27 PM »
Just got notice in the mail that one of our debts has officially bitten the dust!

NinetyFour

• Magnum Stache
  • 391 days until Freedom!
« Reply #1466 on: January 23, 2017, 06:14:57 PM »
Just got notice in the mail that one of our debts has officially bitten the dust!

Woo hoo!!  Great work!
My Journal

Countdown to Freedom:  391 days (1 year, 26 days)

PJ

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #1467 on: January 24, 2017, 12:56:32 AM »
Boss set up a one-on-one meeting out of the blue. I thought I was going to be on notice for my work quality slipping (due to school work and medical issues). Turns out I got a promotion! Time to see if I can actually prevent lifestyle creep!

Congrats!

Two celebrations in one day for me ... well, 3 actually!  One I posted this afternoon, and two I'm adding this evening.

Sat down with the team at work to discuss our budget for the coming year.  I'm paid slightly above our scale, so the recommended cost of living increases don't automatically get applied to my salary.  Leadership has to support the raise, and submit a request.  Which, I found out tonight, they did.  Since I get paid stipend plus separate housing allowance, I took the opportunity to mention that my rent also went up this past year.  They agreed to include that small increase in my housing allowance too.  Utilities are more expensive these days too, but I didn't push my luck - our budget for the organization is pretty tight, and I worry about equity issues with our other employees.  (We allocated some improvements for them too though.)
'To be human you must bear witness to justice. Justice is what love looks like in public." 
Dr. Cornel West

happy

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #1468 on: January 25, 2017, 04:47:33 AM »
Howdy PJ, nice to see you post again ( or maybe you are just hanging out on different threads to me these days...anyway Hi!). And congrats on the raise and getting stuff done.
Journalling at Happy Aussie Downshifter

PJ

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #1469 on: January 25, 2017, 12:32:51 PM »
Howdy PJ, nice to see you post again ( or maybe you are just hanging out on different threads to me these days...anyway Hi!). And congrats on the raise and getting stuff done.

waves

Hi happy!  I am only recently back again, so don't worry, you weren't missing out.  I've dipped my toe in a couple of places over the last couple weeks, mostly in Throwing Down the Gauntlet section - Uber Frugal January/February and Eat All the Food threads.

It's nice to "see" you again too!
Dr. Cornel West

FirePaddle

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #1470 on: January 25, 2017, 04:34:46 PM »
We joined the double comma club today! Our house is worth ~$220k with ~75k left on the loan, so we're feeling good about those too! I think our FIRE number is somewhere between, well, $1M and $1.4M, depending on where we live, but we're thinking about part timing it soon to ease into it. Exciting!

MommyCake

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #1471 on: February 06, 2017, 10:00:36 AM »
My credit score finally got back up to 700!  Yay! 

(I know some here say credit score is irrelevant, but I will need a mortgage for another investment property next year)

SuperSecretName

• Stubble
« Reply #1472 on: February 13, 2017, 12:36:33 PM »
NW hit 600K with the up market today.  I'll be 35 in a couple of days.

It's significant to me, since with the 4% rule, that provides 2k/month - e.g. my calculated basic living expenses (once I move). 

I'm not going to FIRE for a few more years since my kids are only in middle school, and I can't move out of our HCOL area now.  My 2k/month is for me alone, without counting the kids.  600k has "only" been the bottom of my acceptable range.

Slinky

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #1473 on: February 13, 2017, 03:52:06 PM »
$50k in my 401k. Yay.

DeskJockey2032

• Stubble
  • Aiming for 2029
« Reply #1474 on: February 14, 2017, 10:55:30 AM »
Finally, FINALLY opened up that Roth IRA. Started off at $3100 and hope to shovel in another $4-500 before Tax Day.

Goal for next tax year is to max it out.

This also brought my projections much closer to 100% at my target date (FireCALC 96.8%, Fidelity 100% and my spreadsheet 99%).

chaskavitch

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #1475 on: February 14, 2017, 03:13:43 PM »
We got rid of our cable TV last month, which will save us about $70/mo.  All we ever did was complain about commercials anyway, so it's a doubly good thing.

Also, my tIRA at Vanguard just got above $10,000, so I qualify for Admiral pricing.  Now all of my accounts are super inexpensive!  Yay VTSAX!  This was the last one lingering down below that value because it was a rollover from a PERA account from grad school, and I was only putting money into the Roth IRA and ignoring the traditional.

This is a good year for us so far!  Last week I got a promotion that comes with a 13% raise, so I'm going to up my 401k contributions from 14% to 17% (at least, maybe more if DH doesn't mind).  AND DH got a new job today, with a $10,000 raise, a chance for a 10% bonus every year (historically 5%), and a 401k option that will match 4% after a year. 

MommyCake

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #1476 on: February 15, 2017, 03:17:14 AM »
I handed in my resignation letter yesterday.  I have been telling my boss I can't work unplanned OT because I have to get my baby from daycare.  He keeps making me work late anyway and said yesterday that it would not change.  My passive income exceeds my expenses, so I pulled up my already-drafted-and-waiting letter and emailed it in.

I feel relieved, and nervous. 

happy

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #1477 on: February 15, 2017, 06:07:51 AM »
Good on you MommyCake! I wonder what his response will be? Who knows the power of FU money. Keep us posted...maybe you'll have a story for the FU story string.

Cherry Lane

• Bristles
« Reply #1478 on: February 15, 2017, 04:00:54 PM »
Hooray, MommyCake!  Do let us know how that is/was received.

As for me, it turns out "the market" gave me a lovely Valentine's gift yesterday:  a second comma.  Maybe I'll go buy some discounted chocolates today to celebrate.

MommyCake

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #1479 on: February 16, 2017, 12:34:36 PM »
Congrats Cherry Lane!  And happy, the ending of my story I'm afraid doesn't qualify me for the "epic" FU thread....

My boss offered me better hours and a better location with a promise of no OT if I stay.  I said yes.  I am kind of regretting it, but I think it will be better for everyone if I stay on at least until this hiring freeze is over. 

happy

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #1480 on: February 16, 2017, 09:39:47 PM »
Well it does sound like you got what you needed - i.e. better hours, better location and no OT.  Thats the power of FU money.

thedigitalone

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #1481 on: February 17, 2017, 10:35:14 AM »
Other than our mortgage, we're officially debt free as of this morning.

I "woke up" back in October of 2015 when I realized that the lifestyle we were living was incredibly wasteful, we were overspending and accruing debt and for no reason.

I shut down my self-employed business that was under performing and went back to a full-time job, we refinanced the mortgage into a 3% 15 year term and aggressively started paying down our debts. It took 16 months but we did it, the cars, credit cards, everything is paid off!  Now I can accelerate paying off the mortgage and start our post-tax investing (we've been maxing the 401k's along the way) with the funds we've been paying off the debt with.

I started lurking here about 9 months ago, it has been very helpful in maintaining the mindset, I don't know that I would have had the willpower to pull this off without the constant reminders of the goal and reading about everyone else's successes along the way.

soccerluvof4

• Handlebar Stache
  • Retired at 50
« Reply #1482 on: February 17, 2017, 01:43:33 PM »
Congrats! ^
" In life you don't get what you deserve you get what you negotiate"

PJ

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #1483 on: February 18, 2017, 03:27:35 PM »
Lots of good things going on for people to celebrate.

Special congrats to thedigitalone for being debt free other than a mortgage

Other than our mortgage, we're officially debt free as of this morning.

I started lurking here about 9 months ago, it has been very helpful in maintaining the mindset, I don't know that I would have had the willpower to pull this off without the constant reminders of the goal and reading about everyone else's successes along the way.

Also, I agree with happy!  MommyCake, you got to have your cake and eat it too! 

Well it does sound like you got what you needed - i.e. better hours, better location and no OT.  Thats the power of FU money.
Dr. Cornel West

v8rx7guy

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #1484 on: February 18, 2017, 10:40:42 PM »
Annual review and 5% raise on Friday.  Not a "huge" accomplishment by any stretch of the imagination,  but it is the first time I went straight to my 401k benefits site and raised my contribution by the same amount.

greengardens

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #1485 on: February 19, 2017, 11:08:49 AM »
Our net worth hit $100,000 this week and I paid off my student loans! (still have DH's loans though)

Accidental Miser

• Bristles
« Reply #1486 on: February 19, 2017, 03:15:18 PM »
We hit 750K net worth a few days ago!

FI, here we come!

facepalm

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #1487 on: February 19, 2017, 06:34:02 PM »
Our net worth hit $100,000 this week and I paid off my student loans! (still have DH's loans though)
That is awesome! Crossing the $100K mark is a huge accomplishment.

My celebration: I just finished setting up max contributions to both my 403(b) and 457(b) (as a state employee I qualify for both). Will also be able to max out the ROTH IRA this year too.

TravelJunkyQC

• Bristles
« Reply #1488 on: February 23, 2017, 12:10:10 PM »
Our offer was just accepted on a fantastic piece of 26-acre land 15 minutes outside the city. Yay! We'll be building over the next 3 years :)

chaskavitch

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #1489 on: February 26, 2017, 07:50:39 AM »
Our offer was just accepted on a fantastic piece of 26-acre land 15 minutes outside the city. Yay! We'll be building over the next 3 years :)

Woo, that's awesome!  That's our eventual goal, having some land but also access to people :)  Have fun building your own house! 

Zaga

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #1490 on: February 26, 2017, 01:18:42 PM »
Not something we did, but cool nonetheless. 

DH has been at his current job since April of 2015, and I thought I had read that in addition to the 3% 401-K match there would also be a 3% company contribution, but until today we had not seen any evidence of this.  Nor is it in any of the paperwork I've read since he was hired.

Well today I checked his 401-K and it was larger than expected, the 3% contribution for 2016 went in this week!  (I have no idea what happened to 2015, maybe you have to work there the entire year to get it?)

Trifele

• Bristles
« Reply #1491 on: February 27, 2017, 04:40:19 AM »
Our NW went over $1M this month!   Holy crap.  It snuck up on me, because I don't usually include the kids' 529 accounts in our NW calculation. 
So, so happy. 

« Last Edit: February 27, 2017, 11:45:53 AM by Trifele »

NinetyFour

• Magnum Stache
  • 391 days until Freedom!
« Reply #1492 on: February 27, 2017, 07:03:05 AM »
Excellent--congrats!!
My Journal

Countdown to Freedom:  391 days (1 year, 26 days)

Izybat

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #1493 on: February 27, 2017, 03:55:21 PM »
I had a surprise one as well. I logged into my bank and the balance of all of our accounts together was over $20,000 (this isn't including investments). I've never had that much just sitting around waiting to be put to work. Now, to be fair, most of it is earmarked for something. $x goes to the kitchen reno, $y is for paying off debt, $z is emergency fund, but still, it was a very pretty number to see.

Trifele

• Bristles
« Reply #1494 on: March 01, 2017, 06:59:46 AM »
Nice, Itzybat!  That is a very pretty number indeed. 

marielle

• Bristles
« Reply #1495 on: March 01, 2017, 07:17:47 AM »
August net worth: -$26,670
March net worth: -$12,000

Change of $14,670 in 7 months, on a $55k/$60k salary. (received an increase halfway through)

Could be better but not bad considering other expenses I've had and no 401k. I spent ~$2500 on car maintenance, $700+ on new bike and accessories, and who knows how much on moving costs and furniture.

plainjane

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #1496 on: March 01, 2017, 08:44:28 AM »

Change of $14,670 in 7 months, on a $55k/$60k salary. (received an increase halfway through)

That is huge.  You are more than halfway there, and then all the habits and skills you have developed are going to stand you in great stead.  Soon the power of compound interest will be in your favour instead of holding you back.
Using procrastination to my advantage since 2001.

marielle

• Bristles
« Reply #1497 on: March 01, 2017, 09:32:38 AM »

That is huge.  You are more than halfway there, and then all the habits and skills you have developed are going to stand you in great stead.  Soon the power of compound interest will be in your favour instead of holding you back.

I never really had "bad habits"...I was always broke and living off of a few thousand a year (after rent) so I just continued the trend into the workforce. I don't really know what to spend on to be honest, except travel but credit card signup bonuses take care of that as well! Only $16k in student loans left...

sw1tch

• Stubble
« Reply #1498 on: March 01, 2017, 01:31:15 PM »
Net worth eclipsed 500k this month when I include the cash-out balance of the pension at work.

This is huge and almost surreal.  It's crazy to think of where I was at just a couple of years ago and am really considering going FIRE or part-time FIRE later this year.  That Big Move counter just might become a FIRE one...
« Last Edit: March 01, 2017, 01:34:56 PM by sw1tch »
<|> My Strava <|>

Trifele

• Bristles
« Reply #1499 on: March 03, 2017, 04:37:27 AM »
Congratulations, Sw1tch!!  This is awesome!