Author Topic: Celebrations Thread  (Read 406412 times)

dougules

• Pencil Stache
Re: Celebrations Thread
« Reply #1400 on: November 15, 2016, 03:01:18 PM »
Woo, just hit net worth of $100k ahead of schedule!

15.2k in Roth IRA
33.6k in 401k
8.5k in HSA
26.1k in taxable investments
15k cash emergency fund (currently sitting in my husband's Chase account for the $200 opening bonus, then I will do the same when his waiting period is up)
1.7k misc cash

I'm on year 2 of accruing $50k+/year.

Nice.  You've got the snowball rolling now.

hucktard

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #1401 on: November 22, 2016, 10:20:39 AM »
I just roughly calculated my net worth, and I think the wife and I combined are a little over 500K. I think we will need a NW of about 1.5M to FIRE and I think we can get there in maybe 5-7 years. It keeps happening faster than I thought it would though so I might be pleasantly surprised, I hope. Spending less money is awesome, but I have to say that making more money is awesomer.

Slinky

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #1402 on: November 22, 2016, 11:28:48 AM »
Total Balance of Retirement Accounts: $100,046.93

Made it into 6 figures! Yeah!

KMMK

• Handlebar Stache
    • Your Life Money Coaching
« Reply #1403 on: November 22, 2016, 02:39:03 PM »
I made my first revenue at my new business!

Prospector

• Walrus Stache
  • The late worm misses the bird.
« Reply #1404 on: November 22, 2016, 03:02:17 PM »
So much good news!! So happy for all of you guys!!
Illegitimi non carborundum

Follow along in The Oasis of Positivity.

Camp Mustache Canada 2017 Organizing Committee member - Accepting names for standby list.

rachellynn99

• Stubble
« Reply #1405 on: November 27, 2016, 11:50:25 AM »
Today is my official first day of MMM stuff, but my husband and I made a decision NOT to go out to eat after church today. We have went out for probably 5 years, either with my parents, another family or just our family. The kids were a bit confused, but we had a very nice lunch, using deer meat my 10 year old daughter harvested about 2 weeks ago, salsa I had canned from our garden, and various others yummies that made nice tacos. So day 1 ( or at least half of it) has been a success.

Cannot Wait!

• Pencil Stache
  • FIREd 2016 @ 49
« Reply #1406 on: November 27, 2016, 07:49:17 PM »
Anybody else with young adult children that you've tried to influence to embrace the MMM way?  I'm just THRILLED that my kid just sent me this text:
"My investment portfolio made 6$"
OMG! She was listening!   😆
806228541398102 is my referral code for Questrade and 48650126S1 for Tangerine.  Hey, why not?

Prospector

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #1407 on: November 27, 2016, 09:49:42 PM »
Today is my official first day of MMM stuff, but my husband and I made a decision NOT to go out to eat after church today. We have went out for probably 5 years, either with my parents, another family or just our family. The kids were a bit confused, but we had a very nice lunch, using deer meat my 10 year old daughter harvested about 2 weeks ago, salsa I had canned from our garden, and various others yummies that made nice tacos. So day 1 ( or at least half of it) has been a success.

This is a big step! in 6 months you'll have a conversation along the lines of "Remember when we used to go out after church? Why did we do that!?!?!"

Have fun with it - get the kids planning lunch before you head to church, do some picnics, take lunch to shutin. No reason not to make it an important part of your weekend routine!

Camp Mustache Canada 2017 Organizing Committee member - Accepting names for standby list.

rachellynn99

• Stubble
« Reply #1408 on: November 28, 2016, 06:44:42 AM »

This is a big step! in 6 months you'll have a conversation along the lines of "Remember when we used to go out after church? Why did we do that!?!?!"

Thanks for your encouragement. It actually is a bit shocking how much money has been spent through the years, just on that one meal per week. For a semi nice sit down meal for the 5 of us it would easily be $50. We are planning a chili lunch next week for ourselves and another couple at our home. We have the stuff for chili, they are bringing a dessert and crackers.
Have fun with it - get the kids planning lunch before you head to church, do some picnics, take lunch to shutin. No reason not to make it an important part of your weekend routine!

DeskJockey2028

• Bristles
  • Aiming for 2028
« Reply #1409 on: November 28, 2016, 10:33:29 AM »
Yay! $100,133 in the 403(b)! 

Of course the market'll change that by tomorrow but I'm counting it! I'll be back to that with my next check even with a bit of a downturn.

Archivist

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #1410 on: November 29, 2016, 12:00:43 PM »
I'm going to make my final student loan payment this week, and just to make it poetic, I'm going to do it on my birthday, which is this Thursday. That's 40k paid down over 13 months! I can't wait to be debt free and able to see past this hurdle.

zephyr911

• Magnum Stache
  • I'm just happy to be here. \m/ ^_^ \m/
« Reply #1411 on: December 01, 2016, 03:01:49 PM »
I did my 100-250K race based on total NW, but just noticed we hit 250K just in TSP/IRA the other day... closer to 350 in total and adding faster than ever.

But the real celebration today is, we just decided DW can quit FT work and go freelance whenever she wants. She will probably do it in mid-Jan. Ultimately this could delay me for a few months, but it's a rounding error in the grand scheme. She's been miserable and I even encouraged her to do this a couple of times recently... I'm incredibly happy to be able to support this move, and look forward to joining her as a PT guy in 6-8mos.
I am not a cog. I am an organizational lubricant.

Cannot Wait!

• Pencil Stache
  • FIREd 2016 @ 49
« Reply #1412 on: December 01, 2016, 03:05:04 PM »
I'm going to make my final student loan payment this week, and just to make it poetic, I'm going to do it on my birthday, which is this Thursday. That's 40k paid down over 13 months! I can't wait to be debt free and able to see past this hurdle.

Awesome!  And Happy Birthday!
806228541398102 is my referral code for Questrade and 48650126S1 for Tangerine.  Hey, why not?

zinny1

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #1413 on: December 01, 2016, 11:00:15 PM »
Just signed the dotted line for another pay rise - up 8.5K per annum. Happy days. May even get another 2-5K in January. Savings rate can now shift up to 47.5%.

Driftwood

• Stubble
« Reply #1414 on: December 02, 2016, 06:06:57 AM »
Just passed two years of bike commuting... which lines up with me finding MMM about two years ago.

Since then - out of debt, maxed IRAs this year and last year, investing in taxable accounts, and while not really on the path to FIRE any time soon what I've learned here will give us freedom to pursue things we are passionate about doing while still being able to spend time with our kids during their younger years.
*Nothing I post should be taken too seriously*

dougules

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #1415 on: December 02, 2016, 09:48:16 AM »
Just passed two years of bike commuting... which lines up with me finding MMM about two years ago.

Since then - out of debt, maxed IRAs this year and last year, investing in taxable accounts, and while not really on the path to FIRE any time soon what I've learned here will give us freedom to pursue things we are passionate about doing while still being able to spend time with our kids during their younger years.

I miss bike commuting.  I used to at my last job, but I still haven't psyched myself up to getting up earlier and braving white-knuckle traffic for the 8 mile commute here. 

chloe1733

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #1416 on: December 06, 2016, 08:08:46 PM »
As of today, our total debt (75% is our mortgage, 25% is student loans at a very low rate) is now under 100k!!! We carry no credit card debt or car payments.

At our current rate, we'll pay off the house in a little less than two years, and the student loans shortly after that. Very excited :)

onlykelsey

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #1417 on: December 07, 2016, 04:54:55 AM »
As of today, our total debt (75% is our mortgage, 25% is student loans at a very low rate) is now under 100k!!! We carry no credit card debt or car payments.

At our current rate, we'll pay off the house in a little less than two years, and the student loans shortly after that. Very excited :)

Congrats.  where do you live that student loan interest rates are cheaper than mortgage interest rates?

Dollar Slice

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #1418 on: December 09, 2016, 08:58:14 AM »
I have a few different financial accounts (trad IRA, Roth, brokerage, checking acct) and one of them just crossed $100,000 for the first time ever. :-)
Referrals for...
Prolific Academic: http://www.prolific.ac/rp?ref=3PJ4H43L (Earn money by taking academic surveys - way better than mturk, I average ~$9/hr)
Robinhood: http://bit.ly/2uGXBPG (Get a free stock!)

multi-vitamin

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #1419 on: December 11, 2016, 01:37:47 PM »
Just paid off my car!  Now I can focus on building my emergency fund up to 6 months.

Slinky

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #1420 on: December 12, 2016, 10:41:50 AM »
Just paid off my car!  Now I can focus on building my emergency fund up to 6 months.

High five!

Mossy 757

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #1421 on: December 12, 2016, 02:02:13 PM »
Just discussed a new job/raise with my CEO. Even without bonuses (which will now be 5k per quarter!) 6.5 years just disappeared from my working life...*POOF!*

happy

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #1422 on: December 14, 2016, 03:11:26 AM »
Woo hoo, sounds great!
Journalling at Happy Aussie Downshifter

torbisen

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #1423 on: December 17, 2016, 08:49:26 AM »
5 months into the "plan"  35593 dollars saved at a rate of 61,4% of our income. All our computers are now 8 years old and not working very well, we might buy an imac and drop down to 57,3% savingsrate. Yes its stupid, should rather buy a used one for 200 dollars, but anyhow its gonna be the christmas gift for the family and 57,3% i ok rate.

greengardens

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #1424 on: December 17, 2016, 07:01:00 PM »
Found out Thursday that I'm getting a 6% raise and my firm is doubling their contribution to my 401k!

FrogStash

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
  • Get there...FASTER!
« Reply #1425 on: December 29, 2016, 08:09:17 AM »
Just paid off car (early) and will roll that into house payment.  Paid off the wife's car (early) two months ago.  Only debt left is a fairly low remaining balance on my wife's small student loan (from long ago when the rates were low), and the house.  House will be paid off in less than 4 years. 

NW grew by more than 100k in 2016 which is roughly a 40% increase.  I know this growth rate isn't likely to continue but wow, we are really on a roll. 

March will mark 2 years since finding MMM and the change in my attitude and happiness at work and at home is almost as noticeable as the change in the spreadsheet!  Thanks for taking the time to write this stuff down Pete!
« Last Edit: December 29, 2016, 09:09:39 AM by FrogStash »

Prospector

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #1426 on: December 29, 2016, 08:22:38 AM »
Isn't it a great feeling when things begin to click! Congrats on getting so much debt killed off!

zephyr911

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #1427 on: December 30, 2016, 01:13:36 PM »
NAILED IT.
#nailedit

(see bottom right)

arebelspy

• Administrator
  • Senior Mustachian
« Reply #1428 on: December 31, 2016, 03:42:15 AM »
NAILED IT.
#nailedit

(see bottom right)

Bottom right is awesome.  Top left is awesomer.  :)
We are two former teachers who accumulated a bunch of real estate, retired at 29, and now travel the world full time with a kid.
If you want to know more about me, or how we did that, or see lots of pictures, this Business Insider profile tells our story pretty well.
We (occasionally) blog at AdventuringAlong.com.
You can also read my forum "Journal."

Cherry Lane

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #1429 on: December 31, 2016, 08:19:52 PM »
NAILED IT.
#nailedit

(see bottom right)

Nice!  Did you manage that manually or let DFAS do it for you?

Cherry Lane

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #1430 on: December 31, 2016, 08:23:55 PM »
Did my year-end financial review today.  If I count mortgage principal payments as savings, my after-tax savings rate was over 75% this year, for the first time!  (Cash flow/post-tax income shows only a 57% savings rate).

Didn't have to replace a roof this year and didn't spend 2 weeks in Ecuador, so that helped.

Cherry Lane

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #1431 on: January 01, 2017, 05:53:25 PM »
Another day, another Celebration:

I retired* today!

*from my "side-hustle" job; I still have the full-time job for another 15 months or so. 

It is probably more correct to say I transferred from the Ready Reserve to the Retired Reserve.  At least I think I did.  My retirement flag arrived in the mail a few days ago, and my notice of eligibility for retired pay at age 60 arrived a few days before that, but I haven't seen any actual paperwork saying I'm retired yet.  I'm still calling myself retired!

dr72

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #1432 on: January 02, 2017, 03:43:56 PM »
This seems like the best thread for this post.  I found this blog at some point last year and read all the posts and started to really think about what we spent money on and what we actually needed.  We've come a long way since, and by the end of this year will be debt free except for student loans and a mortgage, which is a huge improvement but we're still not close to being real  Mustachian's like so many of you. 

The best part of this continuing journey was the feeling I had last week.  My boss let me know that upper management was probably going to "change their minds" and change the requirements and experience required for my job and that I had something like 3-9 months before they would let me go.  It was the first time I've been in that situation where I wasn't in a panic, wasn't worried, and didn't immediately feel like throwing up.  I felt .. fine!  We've simplified our life, reduced our expenses, and are relatively debt free which means I don't need to panic and I can take the time find a job on my terms and not scramble for just "anything". 

Thanks for all the posters in this forum, as a lurker and someone who rarely posts, this forum is very helpful and inspiring.

Decided to post an update now that 2017 is here. 

My last day at that job was 12/31/2014.  In the past two years we've continued to make progress in fits and starts towards a FIRE goal.  We essentially lost half our income with my job loss and yet two years later I sit here saving almost 3x as much money a month, despite making some decidedly non-mustachian decisions.  The biggest changes to me seemed minor at the time but compound over time.  Drop cable tv, get OTA.  End up watching a lot less TV.  Drop lawn service, doing more yardwork.  Making informed decisions on our choices, on everything from insurance to food to clothing.  Trading services with a contractor to do work at my house for a much reduced rate in exchange for business and accounting help.  Taking side jobs.  Walking more and spending more time with the kids. From prepared meals 4-5x a week due to both working to prepared meals ... once a month?  Becoming a better cook.  I don't agree with everything MMM advocates but I think everyone can learn something that will help them. 

My hope is people see this and realize there is a path between the status quo and the complete lifestyle of MMM and that as you move along that spectrum you'll probably find increased happiness and freedom.  There's no one "right" stopping point, but if I can encourage you to at least try it, I think you'll find, like me, that you'll discover what's more important in life.

NinetyFour

• Magnum Stache
  • 267 days until Freedom!
« Reply #1433 on: January 02, 2017, 06:46:29 PM »
That's an awesome story--thanks for sharing!
My Journal

Countdown to Freedom:  267 days

zephyr911

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #1434 on: January 03, 2017, 01:33:48 PM »
I had to set it at one biweekly amount at the end of last year, then drop it by a few bucks to the amount seen there, to hit exactly. Otherwise I'd have gone over and had to do a form to get the excess back.

Bottom right is awesome.  Top left is awesomer.  :)
I try to raise it a little each year. I'm actually opting out of CFC this year but only after working out more direct (and flexible) arrangements to support the same causes. :)

Cherry Lane

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #1435 on: January 03, 2017, 01:46:35 PM »
I had to set it at one biweekly amount at the end of last year, then drop it by a few bucks to the amount seen there, to hit exactly. Otherwise I'd have gone over and had to do a form to get the excess back.

See, I have mine set at $693 biweekly.  Then the last pay period only $675 was deducted, because DFAS won't actually let you go over.  No manual intervention is required.

Check2400

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #1436 on: January 03, 2017, 03:29:52 PM »
Cashed out my annual disbursement for the side business, which put me over $100,000 in liquid (not real estate) net worth--up from -$80,000 in 2012. 

But the real celebration is that I get to go over and throw down the gauntlet in the Race from 100 to 250K.
http://forum.mrmoneymustache.com/throw-down-the-gauntlet/race-from-100-to-250k/

Who wants to join me in the class of 2017?

Izybat

• Stubble
« Reply #1437 on: January 03, 2017, 05:26:08 PM »
I just sent a decent sized check to pay off one of our debts. I won't feel totally confident in it until the check clears and I have written proof that it's paid off (they've been shady), but I can't wait. So close I can feel it.

letthelightin

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #1438 on: January 03, 2017, 07:44:09 PM »
I have a few wins I'd like to share!

I set a stretch goal to hit 200k total net worth by the end of the year, and we crossed that point in November!

In December, we purchased a new-to-us car, paid for with cash (I never imagined we'd be able to do that!).

A few days after buying the car, we discovered a (very unexpected) leak in our roof, and were facing a $5k+ repair bill. Thanks to YNAB and MMM, we were able to get through it with cash we had saved up- we didn't have to go into debt or cut back on any of our normal savings/retirement contributions for the month. The best part of the whole situation was the relief/surprise in DH's face when I was able to reassure him that we would have no problem covering the roof repair, and that we could still get Christmas gifts for our kids (instead of just a big red bow on the roof of the house, ha!). He knows we have "enough" money, but is generally disinterested in personal finance, and just prefers I handle it all.

Although December was a terrible month for our finances, it definitely had its upsides. DH finally got his first real taste of the freedom and security our frugality is providing. Our net worth did reach my stretch goal, even if it was immediately sucked back down again. And it was thrilling to see that while we were spewing a firehouse of cash on one side, our retirement accounts just kept marching onward and upward in the background.

I am so thankful for everything I have learned from this forum! 2016 was a great year for us.

onlykelsey

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #1439 on: January 04, 2017, 05:00:52 AM »
DH finally got his first real taste of the freedom and security our frugality is providing.

Congrats, that's big in your journey to getting him on board.

Sometimes I wish my husband understood how much work I was doing in the background to make our security and stability possible.  I think historically family has bailed him out, so he doesn't have a real appreciation for safety nets.

Dollar Slice

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #1440 on: January 04, 2017, 08:33:24 AM »
As of end-of-day mutual fund prices yesterday - my NW is officially past a quarter of a million dollars :-)  All of it in liquid assets.

I can't tell anyone I know IRL so I have to celebrate it here...
Referrals for...
Prolific Academic: http://www.prolific.ac/rp?ref=3PJ4H43L (Earn money by taking academic surveys - way better than mturk, I average ~$9/hr)

NinetyFour

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #1441 on: January 04, 2017, 09:27:30 AM »
As of end-of-day mutual fund prices yesterday - my NW is officially past a quarter of a million dollars :-)  All of it in liquid assets.

Woo hoo!!  Yay!!
My Journal

G-dog

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #1442 on: January 04, 2017, 09:32:01 AM »

So cool! Woohoo!

You can share at an MMM meetup too!

Dollar Slice

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #1443 on: January 04, 2017, 10:19:46 AM »
Thanks!

I've never actually been to a meetup, unless you count hanging out with MonkeyJenga one-on-one. Maybe I can get her to come over and do an Angry Life Cheerleader routine in person for the occasion. ;-)
Referrals for...

G-dog

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #1444 on: January 04, 2017, 12:03:32 PM »
Thanks!

I've never actually been to a meetup, unless you count hanging out with MonkeyJenga one-on-one. Maybe I can get her to come over and do an Angry Life Cheerleader routine in person for the occasion. ;-)

That works too!

Maybe at one of the concerts you go to, when it's so Lou's that no one can hear anything (asuuming this happens) you can scream:
"I HAVE A QUARTER OF A MILLION DOLLARS BITCHES!"

zephyr911

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #1445 on: January 04, 2017, 12:20:06 PM »
See, I have mine set at $693 biweekly.  Then the last pay period only $675 was deducted, because DFAS won't actually let you go over.  No manual intervention is required.
Right, $693. That's where I was. I changed it in early Dec just in time for the last check to hit, because everything I've read as an Army employee said it was possible to over-contribute.
I came very, very close to the max last year, but this was my first time being lined up in this exact situation, so I bumped it down at just the right time. Chances are I'm gone this year or I might devise an experiment next time around (try to go over by $1, etc).

Saskatchewstachian

• Stubble
« Reply #1446 on: January 04, 2017, 03:46:51 PM »
Just "spent" 5 figures buying index funds!

I've bought index funds before and have a little 'stash growing but have never been able to invest 10k or more all at once! Great feeling to be able to tuck that much away in one fell swoop :)

NinetyFour

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #1447 on: January 04, 2017, 06:43:09 PM »
Nice!!
My Journal

Counting_Down

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #1448 on: January 05, 2017, 01:56:44 PM »
I checked mint this morning - we just crossed 700k stash, and are a paycheck away from a 900K NW.  FI for us is 1.2M stash, so we have a few more years to go, but it will be cool to cross 1M NW - hoping that's this year.

When I started my MMM journey I was single and originally pinned my FIRE number at 650K (I was a baby and didn't understand that was LIQUID/INVESTED DOLLARS) not just NW.  Well, even though me turned to us, and we negotiated a new FI target, its cool to have passed my original goal officially (twice if you include the NW target, then the updated stash target).

Happy new year!

FirePaddle

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #1449 on: January 06, 2017, 01:28:45 PM »
I'm just getting really excited to join the club, very soon...

It's not our final number, but it's close, and it's just a very neat milestone to be so close to reaching. We're already discussing with our employers about going less than full time soon, so we can have more time to do things we truly enjoy.