Author Topic: Celebrations Thread  (Read 368072 times)

Inaya

• Handlebar Stache
Re: Celebrations Thread
« Reply #1350 on: August 15, 2016, 10:57:34 AM »
Assets hit $100k.  (Only counting accounts, no physical assets sine we don't have a house or other large physical assets)

Congrats! Hoping to join the 100 Club by the end of the year myself.
My Cleverly Titled Journal: http://forum.mrmoneymustache.com/journals/cleverly-titled-journal/
My Cat's Facebook Page (yes, really, and I'm not above begging for likes): www.facebook.com/chicagotau
Tau now has an Instagram: www.instagram.com/chicagotau or #chicagotau
Ting referral ($25 credit!): https://zds8505smfe.ting.com/
Discover referral ($50 now and $50 after your first year!): https://refer.discover.com/s/gv3ma

Slinky

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #1351 on: August 15, 2016, 03:28:11 PM »
Assets hit $100k.  (Only counting accounts, no physical assets sine we don't have a house or other large physical assets)

Congrats! Hoping to join the 100 Club by the end of the year myself.

Me too! I'm looking at my retirement accounts and the total just crossed the $90k mark as of this morning's contribution.

Samba82

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #1352 on: August 26, 2016, 04:43:55 AM »
Biked in the rain and snow for the first time today.  It wasn't planned, but I didn't care.  It was about 32-34F, so hovering right above freezing, and a little breezy.

I stopped at a store and still had the helmet on, and some guy says, "Did you ride a bike today?  That's your bike out there?"

Me: "Yes sir."
Guy: "Are you crazy?"
Me: "No, I'm just a badass."

It actually got a few laughs from a few passers by.  :-)

This is _epic_.

I just cleared my last non-mortgage debt this month and started my next step, which is to build an income replacement fund to cover six months' income.

This is after a major personal finance wake-up call in October 2015, when I discovered MMM (and through MMM, YNAB and Dave Ramsey). Fortunately I wasn't in too deep to make a quick turnaround, and I'm way better off now than this time last year.

Slinky

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #1353 on: August 26, 2016, 02:29:16 PM »
I just cleared my last non-mortgage debt this month and started my next step, which is to build an income replacement fund to cover six months' income.

Congrats!

torbisen

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #1354 on: August 31, 2016, 01:19:50 AM »
Been a semi Mustachian for a long time and beeing relatively well of because off that, our (my wife, me and two kids) can celebrate our first month on our future budget today. We got through August by these numbers:

Income: 10482$  ( 540$ over budget actually)
Spendings: 4427$ (about 20$ over budget)
Listing up the "unusual things" here.
And the month included a trip to the wet with a cat @300$,
Dentist for my wife @ 100$
Bike repair for my wifes bike @ 161$. (yes i know it could been cheaper but had to change the crank which required some special tools if i should have done it myself..)
 Also the kids went to soccer school for 110$ and i went through to parties with some old beer i had in the basement (not drinking much).
Food budget which is pretty high at 990$ was kept, just. We are buying a lot ecological which is extremely expensive here in Norway. The family also went on a mountain lodge trip which cost 90$ for the lodge :). The nice thing is that it has been a happy month for us. We find this very meaningful and the things we do ( lodging for free again this weekend) makes us happy.

Savings rate of 58% is incredible for me to have achieved!! 6055$

mires

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #1355 on: September 06, 2016, 08:04:14 PM »
3 small things for me this week

1. Reduced my phone bill by $6 to just $29 per month now
2. Got approved for Chase Freedom cash back card (my only CC)
3. Joined the MMM forum!

Inaya

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #1356 on: September 06, 2016, 08:52:10 PM »

3. Joined the MMM forum!
Great job, and welcome!
My Cleverly Titled Journal: http://forum.mrmoneymustache.com/journals/cleverly-titled-journal/
My Cat's Facebook Page (yes, really, and I'm not above begging for likes): www.facebook.com/chicagotau
Discover referral ($50 now and $50 after your first year!): https://refer.discover.com/s/gv3ma

mires

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #1357 on: September 06, 2016, 09:24:05 PM »

3. Joined the MMM forum!
Great job, and welcome!

Thanks! It's great to find such a great group of like minded people.

golfreak12

• Bristles
« Reply #1358 on: September 06, 2016, 10:15:42 PM »
House just got paid off today. Exactly 3 yrs and 1 day.
Sad new is that we probably will sell the house by the end of the year and will move back to the old house thats being rented right now.
Its for her sake. For the next 2 years, she would have to drive 1 hr each way 5 days a week if we stay here.

Saskatchewstachian

• Stubble
« Reply #1359 on: September 13, 2016, 11:42:41 AM »
NW just crossed 200k and about to get my first ever dividend payment this month!

I have had a TFSA in the past but it was always kept in cash in prep for a house downpayment. Now that the house is bought and we have some money saved up we have been 'stashing it away for the last 3 month (26k in 3 months) and this will be the first month we're getting dividend payment. Since i'm new to the market I've never received any so i'm quite excited about the "free" money!

DeskJockey2032

• Bristles
  • Aiming for 2028
« Reply #1360 on: September 14, 2016, 06:42:44 AM »
Little tiny celebration here. I just upped my per-check 403(b) contribution by 1% to finally hit 20% contribution level! Woo!

mousebandit

• Stubble
« Reply #1361 on: September 14, 2016, 02:48:37 PM »
We just paid off $10k in credit card debt (yes, I know!) and will be hitting our land mortgage for another $10k.  Land will be paid off in December, and house no later than March.  WOO HOO!! 

MouseBandit

TravelJunkyQC

• Bristles
« Reply #1362 on: September 16, 2016, 07:46:41 AM »
Got called in by the administrative assistant/payroll person about my RVER (retirement plan). She's new, and found that there were two paychecks a few months back when I first became eligible for the program, for which no money was taken out. She said, "so the next two paychecks, you'll find, will be smaller, since we'll be taking out double the normal amount to catch up. Obviously, we'll contribute our amount as well. Sorry about the bug!".

So, smaller paychecks for the next months, but more money in the end. Woot woot!

Ariane524

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #1363 on: September 17, 2016, 07:16:00 AM »
Hello all,

I'm technically not a newcomer as I joined about a year (?) ago, and have a couple of previous posts.  But as I now have good news to share, I figured it was a good time to introduce myself.

First, some background.  I hit the triple whammy of going for a PhD (at least it was in science), getting pregnant in the last year of my dissertation, and graduating straight into the unemployment line.  Even better, it was the end of summer, which here in the DC area means a lot of employers were dithering over hiring decisions, and I was denied unemployment because my last five years of paychecks were considered "student wages."  Fun times. 

I was unemployed for a total of 5 mos and part-timing for another 3 mos before landing my current position-- during which time our expenses went up with diapers, formula, etc (we had a preemie so certain options were off the table) and my whopping student loans coming due.  We ate a lot of boxed dinner, maxed a lot of credit cards, borrowed from friends and family to keep at least SOME of the bills paid, and went delinquent on the rest because there was nothing else we could do.  At the end of May, I finally began drawing a real paycheck-- 40% of which promptly went back out the door to daycare expenses.  BUT-- we were still technically ahead, by a narrow margin.  And so we got to work.

It's mid-September now and I'm happy to report that ALL our bills are current, we have a tiny bit in savings, and a tiny bit in investment accounts.  For the first time in a year, I made an entire grocery run during which I bought NO boxed dinners.  Even better, we carved a few hundred dollars out of the monthly budget to set aside for moving expenses in a year, to get us into a cheaper place where we can realize those savings long-term.  Longer-term, if we stick to the plan, we will effectively get a $20K/year "pay raise" when our daughter starts Kindergarten and we no longer have to pay for daycare.  We're probably not going to FIRE any time soon, as we're both late bloomers, but we now have a budget, and some savings, and a plan.  It's the little things. 

Speaking of which,  I can tell you that most of my professional wardrobe comes from the Salvation Army and that my '99 Malibu is still running (thanks to my car-savvy husband and a $20 coolant hose)-- so we are not only saving, but building the habits that will let us keep our money moving in the right direction.

If you've read this far, thanks-- and my name is Ariane, and I have a little peach fuzz.  ;)

arebelspy

• Administrator
  • Senior Mustachian
« Reply #1364 on: September 17, 2016, 08:54:59 AM »
That's awesome Ariane, I think you'll do just fine.  :)
We are two former teachers who accumulated a bunch of real estate, retired at 29, and now travel the world full time with a kid.
If you want to know more about me, or how we did that, or see lots of pictures, this Business Insider profile tells our story pretty well.
We (occasionally) blog at AdventuringAlong.com.
You can also read my forum "Journal."

thunderball

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #1365 on: September 17, 2016, 04:16:26 PM »
Maxed both my Roth and 401K for the year.  First time for the 401K - feels pretty damn good!

Prospector

• Walrus Stache
  • The late worm misses the bird.
« Reply #1366 on: September 19, 2016, 06:07:15 AM »
Maxed both my Roth and 401K for the year.  First time for the 401K - feels pretty damn good!

Ability Unlocked: Savings Saviour!
Follow along in the thrill-a-minute journal. or Come visit the Barnhouse Part 1 or Part 2

Camp Mustache Canada 2017 Organizing Committee member - Accepting names for standby list.

MrRealEstate

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #1367 on: September 20, 2016, 05:50:03 AM »
Opened up my first admiral account in vanguard.

Increased my retirement contributions to 49% to catch up with the 10% I had throughout most of the year to max out the 18k/year limit.

neverrun

• Stubble
« Reply #1368 on: September 21, 2016, 05:10:37 AM »
I updated my Homeowner insurance today so that I have a $5,000 deductible.  It saves $300 a year.

marty998

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #1369 on: September 29, 2016, 06:57:17 AM »
The old net asset ticker just clocked $800,000 for me yesterday... woohoo!

Tax refund, 5 fortnightly pay periods and annual bonus coming in the next 2 months should send it up towards $825,000 by the end of September.

Smashed it. $852k today. I put the value of the properties up by a little bit in line, but just under market growth as per usual.

Have $2k in super contributions due to be paid in next Tuesday and $1000 in Company shares to be granted shortly as well.

Everything is coming up Milhouse!

:D

Moonwaves

• Pencil Stache
    • My blog
« Reply #1370 on: September 29, 2016, 09:48:38 AM »
The university I now work at held a seminar on pensions for internationally mobile workers yesterday and I went along. As well as gaining a bit more information, I overheard a guy from the US asking about a particular type of pension that you can buy here and talked to him afterwards and gave him some information about why in might not be the best option for him, some of the pitfalls to be aware of, as well as a website to find more information. And then I mentioned MMM and he actually wrote it down and, I think, will probably come here to look into the best ways to save and invest. I think that's worth celebrating. :)

doug111

• Stubble
« Reply #1371 on: September 30, 2016, 12:31:48 AM »
Use this thread to post your mini-accomplishments so we can celebrate with you!

If you have a bigger accomplishment, feel free to start your own thread in the Share Your Badassity section of the forums, but for small milestones, things you just want to share with someone, but don't really have anyone to share it with (besides maybe your partner), toss em out there so we can celebrate with you!
Here I go !!! Here is my mini accomplishment !!! I paid off my $115,000 30 year mortgage in ONLY 23 short months !!! It feels good to be finally debt free !!! Thanks for listening !!!

torbisen

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #1372 on: September 30, 2016, 02:30:14 PM »
Well, beeing a part mustachian for years, i figured out two months ago that we ( me and my wife ) was pretty well off, so we decided to go dor it. These two months we saved a total of 14300$ out of our total income of 23125$ these two months. Its around the 60% bracket, and its a really good start. I am so proud. The bet thing is that it makes us do more things with our kids and in the local area. We live in a beautiful area and go hiking, kayaking, bicycling, on photo trips and so. Makes us really happy while saving big time :-). Thank you for the inspiration Mr Moneymoustache.

golfreak12

• Bristles
« Reply #1373 on: October 01, 2016, 10:03:39 PM »
Hello all,

I'm technically not a newcomer as I joined about a year (?) ago, and have a couple of previous posts.  But as I now have good news to share, I figured it was a good time to introduce myself.

First, some background.  I hit the triple whammy of going for a PhD (at least it was in science), getting pregnant in the last year of my dissertation, and graduating straight into the unemployment line.  Even better, it was the end of summer, which here in the DC area means a lot of employers were dithering over hiring decisions, and I was denied unemployment because my last five years of paychecks were considered "student wages."  Fun times. 

I was unemployed for a total of 5 mos and part-timing for another 3 mos before landing my current position-- during which time our expenses went up with diapers, formula, etc (we had a preemie so certain options were off the table) and my whopping student loans coming due.  We ate a lot of boxed dinner, maxed a lot of credit cards, borrowed from friends and family to keep at least SOME of the bills paid, and went delinquent on the rest because there was nothing else we could do.  At the end of May, I finally began drawing a real paycheck-- 40% of which promptly went back out the door to daycare expenses.  BUT-- we were still technically ahead, by a narrow margin.  And so we got to work.

It's mid-September now and I'm happy to report that ALL our bills are current, we have a tiny bit in savings, and a tiny bit in investment accounts.  For the first time in a year, I made an entire grocery run during which I bought NO boxed dinners.  Even better, we carved a few hundred dollars out of the monthly budget to set aside for moving expenses in a year, to get us into a cheaper place where we can realize those savings long-term.  Longer-term, if we stick to the plan, we will effectively get a $20K/year "pay raise" when our daughter starts Kindergarten and we no longer have to pay for daycare.  We're probably not going to FIRE any time soon, as we're both late bloomers, but we now have a budget, and some savings, and a plan.  It's the little things. 

Speaking of which,  I can tell you that most of my professional wardrobe comes from the Salvation Army and that my '99 Malibu is still running (thanks to my car-savvy husband and a $20 coolant hose)-- so we are not only saving, but building the habits that will let us keep our money moving in the right direction.

If you've read this far, thanks-- and my name is Ariane, and I have a little peach fuzz.  ;)

Congrats !!! I love hearing people making their way back to financial success.

TravelJunkyQC

• Bristles
« Reply #1374 on: October 04, 2016, 06:50:11 AM »
I turned 30 last week. And yesterday, I officially became an adult (in my book) by opening my first non-tax advantaged investing account with Questrade. Have yet to make the small 4k deposit into it that I want to do, but still, I'm very happy with this present to myself.

Slinky

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #1375 on: October 04, 2016, 10:15:48 AM »
I turned 30 last week. And yesterday, I officially became an adult (in my book) by opening my first non-tax advantaged investing account with Questrade. Have yet to make the small 4k deposit into it that I want to do, but still, I'm very happy with this present to myself.

Congrats and happy birthday!

TravelJunkyQC

• Bristles
« Reply #1376 on: October 04, 2016, 11:49:35 AM »

Congrats and happy birthday!

Thank-you!

Cookie78

• Handlebar Stache
    • Cookie's Goals
« Reply #1377 on: October 05, 2016, 09:27:13 AM »
Just maxed out RRSP and TFSA this year. First time ever!

Want to save up 5500 for TFSA by the end of the year, and have a couple other savings goals for post-FIRE plans (like buying a camper).
Planning on opening my first non-tax-advantaged investment account early in the new year. :)

pachnik

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #1378 on: October 05, 2016, 10:50:37 AM »
I hit my $400,000.00 in investments goal for the year.  The market sure helped!  So nice to be heading towards $500,000.00.

chasingthegoodlife

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #1379 on: October 08, 2016, 04:20:28 PM »
Re-ran my numbers this weekend as a few small things have changed in my financial situation recently.

The results are SO MUCH better than when I first made my spreadsheet a year and a half ago. And the assumptions I used about income and savings are even more conservative. Can't believe it!

torbisen

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #1380 on: October 11, 2016, 01:34:32 PM »
Use this thread to post your mini-accomplishments so we can celebrate with you!

If you have a bigger accomplishment, feel free to start your own thread in the Share Your Badassity section of the forums, but for small milestones, things you just want to share with someone, but don't really have anyone to share it with (besides maybe your partner), toss em out there so we can celebrate with you!
Here I go !!! Here is my mini accomplishment !!! I paid off my $115,000 30 year mortgage in ONLY 23 short months !!! It feels good to be finally debt free !!! Thanks for listening !!!

WOW Congrats :-)

MrSwayze

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #1381 on: October 22, 2016, 06:43:43 PM »
I'm still a noob, but I finally hit over 10k in my RRSP'S, it's taken me longer than I had hoped, but I've bought myself and the GF bicycles so we can start getting to work by bike 10km round trip and also get groceries.

Saskatchewstachian

• Stubble
« Reply #1382 on: October 26, 2016, 06:43:59 AM »
Another one, but this time not about investments!

Last week I accepted a roll out of our company "graduate program" which means a position change and a raise meaning a additional....... 23k/yr!!!!!!

Considering we had a 40% savings rate up until now, this new raise should really bump it up!

Adge

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #1383 on: October 26, 2016, 09:28:30 AM »
I paid off my car yesterday! I took out a $10k loan last July and have been throwing money at it for 15 months and now it's gone! Not bad on $36k a year gross ;) Now the plan is to open a roth IRA before the end of the year and start throwing all that money at it instead- I can't wait!

mustachepungoeshere

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #1384 on: October 26, 2016, 08:24:37 PM »
Two for me this month:

Paid off the last of my student debt ($15k total).

Started a new job, earning an extra $9k a year.

happy

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #1385 on: October 28, 2016, 05:15:47 AM »
Congratulations everyone.

Its been a while since I posted on this thread. But today's the day, my mortgage is 99k, i.e. below 100k. Its been a milestone I've been looking forward to. Started MMM 4 years and 10 months ago with 371k in debt, now <100k. Its all happening!
Journalling at Happy Aussie Downshifter

HappierAtHome

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #1386 on: October 28, 2016, 05:42:22 AM »
Congratulations everyone.

Its been a while since I posted on this thread. But today's the day, my mortgage is 99k, i.e. below 100k. Its been a milestone I've been looking forward to. Started MMM 4 years and 10 months ago with 371k in debt, now <100k. Its all happening!

Yaaaaay!!

arebelspy

• Administrator
  • Senior Mustachian
« Reply #1387 on: October 28, 2016, 07:51:21 AM »
Started MMM 4 years and 10 months ago with 371k in debt, now <100k. Its all happening!

Nice!  You must be happy.

...I'll be here all week.
We are two former teachers who accumulated a bunch of real estate, retired at 29, and now travel the world full time with a kid.
If you want to know more about me, or how we did that, or see lots of pictures, this Business Insider profile tells our story pretty well.

DeskJockey2032

• Bristles
  • Aiming for 2028
« Reply #1388 on: October 28, 2016, 08:11:36 AM »
Woo hoo! I've just reached my coast rate for 60 years old. Meaning, if I don't contribute another dollar to my retirement accounts I can still retire at 60 with my planned post-retirement withdrawal rate! And that's if the market performs with only an average 5% return. I'm of course still contributing but my coast rate a few years back would have had me working until nearly 70, so that's a vast improvement!

onlykelsey

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #1389 on: October 28, 2016, 08:14:17 AM »
Woo hoo! I've just reached my coast rate for 60 years old. Meaning, if I don't contribute another dollar to my retirement accounts I can still retire at 60 with my planned post-retirement withdrawal rate! And that's if the market performs with only an average 5% return. I'm of course still contributing but my coast rate a few years back would have had me working until nearly 70, so that's a vast improvement!

Congrats!  How do you calculate that?  Just take current saving, assume 5% growth and 4% withdrawal?

DeskJockey2032

• Bristles
  • Aiming for 2028
« Reply #1390 on: October 28, 2016, 10:39:04 AM »
Pretty much that, yes. And also figure in my wife's little pension and 70% of our currently projected SS benefits (to be in the safe side).

TravelJunkyQC

• Bristles
« Reply #1391 on: November 01, 2016, 08:12:54 AM »
Bought my first ETFs in a non-registered account this morning! Yay!

Orvell

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #1392 on: November 01, 2016, 09:03:21 AM »
My cat's heart murmur is innocent!!!
I'm incredibly relieved. :)
My Journal where I talk about money and writing and art and things.

arebelspy

• Administrator
  • Senior Mustachian
« Reply #1393 on: November 01, 2016, 09:13:09 AM »

YAY!

dougules

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #1394 on: November 01, 2016, 09:25:56 AM »

That's good to hear.

On an unrelated note, October was our second lowest spending month in the two years that we've been tracking. 

Migrator Soul

• Stubble
  • The sooner you realize life is hard, the better.
    • Cerebral Combatant
« Reply #1395 on: November 01, 2016, 12:15:14 PM »
I have finally been selected, confirmed, and cut orders for a fairly competitive and selective assignment in the White House. I know some of you know I had been planning on doing it for quite some time, but it is not real until there are orders in hand. I'm pretty excited to be honest.

plainjane

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #1396 on: November 02, 2016, 06:52:10 AM »
I have finally been selected, confirmed, and cut orders for a fairly competitive and selective assignment in the White House.

Wow!  Congratulations.
Using procrastination to my advantage since 2001.

Migrator Soul

• Stubble
  • The sooner you realize life is hard, the better.
    • Cerebral Combatant
« Reply #1397 on: November 02, 2016, 07:11:24 AM »
I have finally been selected, confirmed, and cut orders for a fairly competitive and selective assignment in the White House.

Wow!  Congratulations.

Thanks! I have more or less known it is going to happen for quite some time, however, it isn't real until you are cut orders. I am pretty stoked.

nereo

• Walrus Stache
    • Here's how you can support science today:
« Reply #1398 on: November 02, 2016, 05:15:19 PM »
Hey, check out my new 'scratch!

Level up!
"Do not confuse complexity with superiority"

Inaya

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #1399 on: November 14, 2016, 11:13:50 AM »
Woo, just hit net worth of $100k ahead of schedule!

15.2k in Roth IRA
33.6k in 401k
8.5k in HSA
26.1k in taxable investments
15k cash emergency fund (currently sitting in my husband's Chase account for the $200 opening bonus, then I will do the same when his waiting period is up)
1.7k misc cash

I'm on year 2 of accruing $50k+/year.