Author Topic: Celebrations Thread  (Read 348993 times)

OmahaSteph

• Pencil Stache
    • Journal: The MILFY Way to FIRE
Re: Celebrations Thread
« Reply #1200 on: January 04, 2016, 08:30:21 AM »
I paid off a credit card! Yippee!!!

Stash padawan

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #1201 on: January 04, 2016, 01:32:19 PM »
My First celebration Thread, recap of Year 2015. Note this is all canadian dollars, which may as well be canadian rupees now, but my expenses are in CAD$ so I guess it does not matter that much :

1) Networth increased 125K in 12 months, even with poor stock market performance

2) Paid off my house in 2015 (worth around 225K)

3) Zero other debt

4) Worked only around 900 hours and made 120K after taxes

5) Should be FI in about 5 years at age 43

Currently in Mexico for 1 month to escape canadian winter !

What do you do for a living GettingThere? I'm also Canadian and working 900 hrs to get 120k after taxes looks awesome...

Stash padawan

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #1202 on: January 04, 2016, 01:38:52 PM »
My 2015 highlights:

- Discovered this awesome blog and forum. One of the greatest communities I've seen so far on the vast internets.
- Acquired first rental property. So far so good.
- joint NW (SO and I) is now over 60k (started the year in the red zone).
- Got rid of credit margin debts.
- Didn't carry any credit card debt over the year and never planning to do so in the future.
- Started Index investing and everything goes as planned.

2016 will be exiting as I track this NW and our financial objectives. SO is in the boat too so it makes it a bit easier to focus on our goal, FIRE in 10 years!

« Last Edit: January 06, 2016, 11:51:47 AM by Stash padawan »

JLee

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #1203 on: January 06, 2016, 11:16:26 AM »
My First celebration Thread, recap of Year 2015. Note this is all canadian dollars, which may as well be canadian rupees now, but my expenses are in CAD$ so I guess it does not matter that much :

1) Networth increased 125K in 12 months, even with poor stock market performance

2) Paid off my house in 2015 (worth around 225K)

3) Zero other debt

4) Worked only around 900 hours and made 120K after taxes

5) Should be FI in about 5 years at age 43

Currently in Mexico for 1 month to escape canadian winter !

What do you do for a living GettingThere? I'm also Canadian and working 900 hrs to get 120k after taxes looks awesome...

I'd be thrilled to work 900 hours for $120k CAD and I'm in the US.. :P

FausseBourgeoise

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #1204 on: January 09, 2016, 12:05:46 AM »
I paid off my loans before graduation day, and took on extra work for the first half of the year which will add a security net for when there may be less work next year.

GettingThere

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #1205 on: January 09, 2016, 02:09:21 AM »

I'm a CPA and have my own tax return & consulting company. I work about 600 hours during the 10 weeks tax season and the rest of the year I have an employee that does consulting work.   I supervise her and do client relationships, which is about 5-10 hours a week.

stealthystache

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #1206 on: January 09, 2016, 06:16:47 AM »
I paid off my loans before graduation day, and took on extra work for the first half of the year which will add a security net for when there may be less work next year.

That is sooooo smart, FB! Congrats on graduation and being off on a great financial start. :)

stealthystache

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #1207 on: January 09, 2016, 06:25:20 AM »
Although not a big accomplishment, I'm counting every bit as a celebration. I'm going through the house continuing the purge of excess possessions, have already gotten rid of much on freecycle and given to Goodwill, and the rest I've sold. This week I put another $1500 in the bank from these sales (and some other bits), all ready to be invested.

Not only do I get the benefit of more cash, less stuff means a cleaner/more organized house, less emotional burden, & fewer things to pack and move when we downsize this year. Each of these small steps carries me forward to my goal (and I get to be happier, too :)

cautiouspessimist

• Bristles
« Reply #1208 on: January 10, 2016, 10:20:46 AM »
Although not a big accomplishment, I'm counting every bit as a celebration. I'm going through the house continuing the purge of excess possessions, have already gotten rid of much on freecycle and given to Goodwill, and the rest I've sold. This week I put another $1500 in the bank from these sales (and some other bits), all ready to be invested.

Not only do I get the benefit of more cash, less stuff means a cleaner/more organized house, less emotional burden, & fewer things to pack and move when we downsize this year. Each of these small steps carries me forward to my goal (and I get to be happier, too :)

I vote it counts as a celebration as well. This has been one of my main focuses the last few months, and I'm doing terrible at it! Part of the problem is that a lot of  the stuff that is taking up space is valuable (but only in well defined niches), and thus needs to be posted on ebay/etc, which is a good amount of work that I have had a hard time getting myself to do. So congrats on getting that stuff done!

Firette2020

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
    • Teagmore
« Reply #1209 on: January 12, 2016, 10:32:24 PM »
*FINALLY packed my lunch all week this week (the week isn't over yet, but my lunches for Wed, Thu, Fri are already in the fridge and ready to go) after thinking about it for MONTHS. I even bought 4 divided tupperware containers to make it easier (they are awesome). It is SO easy to pack my lunches! Just had to DO IT instead of thinking about doing it! Hummus, baby carrots, hard boiled egg, fruit, string cheese, etc. Very fast and easy.

*Have been steadily increasing the amount of breakfasts I eat at home (instead of the local coffee shop on the way to work) and will have eaten breakfast at home all week this week!

*Sold my wedding dress (which I had already bought used). Not only does that decrease my total cost outlays for the dress by 65%, but it also means that someone else gets to enjoy the dress (it's a fabulous dress!).

*The startup I worked at several years ago was acquired and I get one last (maybe two) payouts. No idea how much it will be, but any amount is awesome! If anything, it might pay for repairing our sidewalk this week or maybe for our new water heater :) Had no idea this last payment was coming, so it was a pleasant surprise! I'll find out how much next week :)
« Last Edit: January 12, 2016, 10:34:47 PM by Firette2020 »
House hacker, solo indie game developer.

PhysicianOnFIRE

• Bristles
    • Physician On FIRE
« Reply #1210 on: January 18, 2016, 02:03:14 PM »
December was our lowest spending month since we started keeping track with Mint in September.  January might have been even lower if that deer hadn't hit me ($1000 deductible gone!).

Had the market tank just in time for me to put lots of $ into 457(b), 401(k), 529s and backdoor Roth.

Earned my first 50 cents blogging (thank you purchaser of book from Amazon.com, when I only linked to a song).  400 more books sold and I'll break even!

del84

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #1211 on: January 18, 2016, 04:24:24 PM »
Just realised my wife and I hit a nice milestone at the end of 2015. Broke million dollar net worth target (Australian dollars).

House value:   $1,286,000.00
Savings:         $57,000.00
Super (401k): $175,000.00
Mortgage:     -$493,000.00
Net worth:     $1,025,000.00

Next milestone target is to pay off house, projected in 5-6 years time.

stealthystache

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #1212 on: January 20, 2016, 09:05:32 PM »
Just realised my wife and I hit a nice milestone at the end of 2015. Broke million dollar net worth target (Australian dollars).

House value:   $1,286,000.00
Savings:         $57,000.00
Super (401k): $175,000.00
Mortgage:     -$493,000.00
Net worth:     $1,025,000.00

Next milestone target is to pay off house, projected in 5-6 years time.

Nicely done - keep it up! :) I'm also looking forward to the time when my Mortgage line reads "0"

Northwestie

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #1213 on: January 25, 2016, 11:13:35 AM »
--Paid off the mortgage early.  Bought the house for $210k in '96 and now worth $610k
--Finally got a Will and the Health Directives finalized, I know - should have done this long ago
--Passed $1.2M in retirement savings (excluding house)
--Found this site!
--Seriously started looking at the retirement date
« Last Edit: January 25, 2016, 04:48:04 PM by Northwestie »

JLee

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #1214 on: January 26, 2016, 07:59:22 PM »
--Paid off the mortgage early.  Bought the house for $210k in '96 and now worth $610k
--Finally got a Will and the Health Directives finalized, I know - should have done this long ago
--Found this site!

With ~$1.8mil net worth you could sell your house, buy another one in a LCOL area and retire.  Congratulations!

stacyboy68

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #1215 on: January 27, 2016, 02:11:49 PM »
Just began the journey and happy to be aboard..

Switched over to Republic Wireless

Cut cable

Got some new bikes and a trailer

Opened FI savings accounts...

Jeff

stealthystache

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #1216 on: January 28, 2016, 05:39:45 AM »
Just began the journey and happy to be aboard..

Switched over to Republic Wireless

Cut cable

Got some new bikes and a trailer

Opened FI savings accounts...

Jeff

Welcome stacyboy68 - you'll find a ton of good info here and even more support. Kudos on so many adjustments early on!

Northwestie

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #1217 on: January 28, 2016, 10:45:35 AM »
--Found this site!

With ~$1.8mil net worth you could sell your house, buy another one in a LCOL area and retire.  Congratulations!

Certainly possible but we like where we live.  Never say never though.  May rent it out for a bit and travel.

JLee

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #1218 on: January 28, 2016, 09:32:28 PM »
Not really a celebration for me...but on another forum I'm on, someone posted a thread about 'talk me out of buying a truck'.  I think I convinced him to up/max his 401k with the extra money he said he had. :P

onlykelsey

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #1219 on: January 29, 2016, 04:14:25 AM »
Not really a celebration for me...but on another forum I'm on, someone posted a thread about 'talk me out of buying a truck'.  I think I convinced him to up/max his 401k with the extra money he said he had. :P

Nice! 

on a related note, I think I convinced my sister (who came in to ~150K 18 months ago and has 0K left) that she should start building a "f off" fund a la https://thebillfold.com/a-story-of-a-fuck-off-fund-648401263659#.h0qgv5aab . I think she thinks that fund should be 500 dollars (or approximately one day of expense), but it's something!

TravelJunkyQC

• Bristles
« Reply #1220 on: January 29, 2016, 07:49:34 AM »
Just accepted a new job offer last night! In terms of salary, it is only a 7% increase, but the job is 37,5 h a week instead of 40 h, I get an extra week vacation, and I get employer matching in a RVER (equivalent of a 401k). Also, it cuts my commute time from an 18 minute drive to a 10 minute drive or 25 minute bike ride. And most importantly, I'm SUPER excited about the new work. Yay!

onlykelsey

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #1221 on: January 29, 2016, 08:11:57 AM »
Just accepted a new job offer last night! In terms of salary, it is only a 7% increase, but the job is 37,5 h a week instead of 40 h, I get an extra week vacation, and I get employer matching in a RVER (equivalent of a 401k). Also, it cuts my commute time from an 18 minute drive to a 10 minute drive or 25 minute bike ride. And most importantly, I'm SUPER excited about the new work. Yay!

That is awesome!

Prospector

• Walrus Stache
  • The late worm misses the bird.
« Reply #1222 on: January 29, 2016, 08:47:45 AM »

Two thumbs up!!
Follow along in the thrill-a-minute journal. or Come visit the Barnhouse Part 1 or Part 2

Camp Mustache Canada 2017 Organizing Committee member - Accepting names for standby list.

TravelJunkyQC

• Bristles
« Reply #1223 on: January 29, 2016, 09:30:12 AM »
Thanks so much for the virtual high fives!
I forgot an important tidbit - they're looking for a new office, and number 1 priority is bike parking and showers, because 75% of employees come to work on bikes.

Dicey

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #1224 on: January 30, 2016, 02:03:03 PM »
I forgot an important tidbit - they're looking for a new office, and number 1 priority is bike parking and showers, because 75% of employees come to work on bikes.
Sounds badass. How many of them are Mustachians? Sounds like you're in good company indeed.
I did it! I have a journal!
http://forum.mrmoneymustache.com/journals/a-lot-like-this/
And hell yes, I am still moving confidently in the direction of my dreams...

TravelJunkyQC

• Bristles
« Reply #1225 on: February 01, 2016, 08:01:32 AM »
Sounds badass. How many of them are Mustachians? Sounds like you're in good company indeed.

I don't know if the motivation for the biking is Mustachian, or rather simply liking sports. Based on the Audi SUV of the president of the company, I'm guessing its a sports thing. It's a 15-person-team/4-year-old-tech-start-up that has done very well for itself, and the entire team is made up of 25 to 40 year old outdoor fanatics (myself included). Regardless of the why, I'll be enjoying the benefits!

sw1tch

• Stubble
« Reply #1226 on: February 01, 2016, 09:09:52 AM »
Posting to subscribe.  Will eventually post some celebrations.
<|> My Strava <|>

onehair

• Bristles
« Reply #1227 on: February 01, 2016, 12:07:52 PM »
Our raises have kicked in so now I will have extra money to invest in something or other..My check went up $58!  Now to decide who to feed and when to feed them...

couponvan

• Magnum Stache
    • My journal
« Reply #1228 on: February 01, 2016, 12:35:40 PM »
I love coupons!

Successfully used the co-pay assistance coupon on our prescription medication to fully cover our mandatory $6,000 HDHP out-of-pocket for 2016.  Woo hoo!!!

$102 is going to be our monthly average cost for family of 5, 100% BCBS PPO in 2016.   

$264    monthly premium
     3    (2 $20 copays for DH's prescription with co-pay assistance averaged over 12 months. Monthly prescription cost is $4,000, with copay of up to $12,000 per year.)
(82)     Annual credit for DH opting out of medical coverage with his employer
(83)     $1,000 my company's contribution to the Health Savings Account
$102 effective monthly cost

Plus, I signed up for the max $5,750 allowed HSA family contribution again.  (I sign up every year just in case they change the rules on the coupon deal and I have to pay the $6,000 deductible myself.)  By the end of this year, our kids' braces will be fully funded with pre-tax HSA accounts for when they need them. 

Now I need to figure out 2015's contributions on Turbo Tax because I don't think my employer reported them correctly on my W-2, or I didn't report them correctly in Turbo Tax.....But that is another forum topic! :-)
Why the hell are we going shopping? Buy sh*t, return other sh*t, go through sh*t and donate sh*t. Complain about having too much sh*t. Repeat. (Bracken Joy 2/17)

TooManyGuitars

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #1229 on: February 02, 2016, 10:55:34 PM »
A new school year is underway this week which includes a new school for my 2 kids - a free public school this year, after spending $30k over the last 2 years having them in a fancy private montessori school.  Thrilled to have convinced the wife of this. 

The money saved (~$1200/mo) is already channeled into savings.  2016 should see our net worth increase substantially!

stealthystache

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #1230 on: February 03, 2016, 07:41:56 AM »
There's been a lot of forward momentum in the last couple of months and a lot has happened since the first post I made here about buying a HUD foreclosure with cash as an "F-U" to the bank when they refused to refi our high-rate mortgage for our current home. Here's what I'm cheering about now:

*cut the weekly food budget by more than $100 (more than $400 in savings each month). Still room for improvement here, though
*cut the cell bill by about $100/month
*sold more excess crap around the house
*took all this money saved plus other savings and invested in an REIT - first time doing this!

Now I'm working on rolling some old 401k's with high fees into Vanguard. Have the account set up, now it's just paperwork and $ transfer.

Extra good news? We got a smallish refund from our mortgage tax escrow (off to savings you go!). And...Just found out my SO will be getting a bonus from work. Don't know what it will be until next month, but they had the highest profits in their company history, so hoping that will trickle down to us nicely.

Still prepping current house for sale this spring (to dump the mortgage). BTW, the walk score in our new neighborhood is 76! Oh yeah!

Sometimes all the hard work seems so slow, and then BAM! All the good hits at once!

Parizade

• Bristles
« Reply #1231 on: February 06, 2016, 11:49:11 AM »
I had my taxes done today and my accountant informed me I could claim my brother as a dependent and get another $1250.00 back on my taxes!

Whoot! That will pay for my camping trip to Valley of Fire this spring.
The only things that really matter are music and the moon.

~Ellis Felker

gliderpilot567

• Stubble
« Reply #1232 on: February 10, 2016, 05:07:03 PM »
Turned the fucking corner.

In the summer of 2014, we were drowning. All the credit cards were maxed, payments on them and various other loans were sucking down all my income, and at the end of the month I felt like a piece of shit because I couldn't afford to buy a banana for my kids. It looked like not only would we never be rich, but we'd be on the treadmill forever. Eventually somehow I realized the only way out was to pay off the debt.

Sold a bunch of stuff. Canceled many money-sinks like cable, magazine subscriptions, clubs, etc. Sold more stuff. Wife got a job. I worked a little bit extra outside my main job. Sold even more stuff. Paid off over $110k in debt over the last year and a half. Late in 2015, I started to be amazed how rapidly the cash began to build up in the bank account now that there were so many fewer payments. Accelerated debt payoff.

Refi'd 19k of student loans, approved for 2.1% by SoFi. Once that refi is finalized, we will slow-roll finishing paying those. Only remaining debt is 8k on a car at 3.75%, and our mortgage which is at the same interest rate. Car loan will be gone by May; I'm prioritizing cash into 2015 IRA contributions until April (3k of 11k invested so far). I know we weren't debt free just yet but knowing that we will be soon I wanted to cheat and start investing sooner, ha ha.

By the end of the year I want us to have put 22k into IRAs (5.5 each for 2015 and 2016 for myself and wife) plus 18k into my TSP. She has a 403b that she puts into up to the match, but is planning on quitting to be a SAHM again before the end of the summer.

Back when we decided to get serious about destroying our debt and becoming rich, I told my wife that by the end of 2017 we would have $50k saved/invested. She didn't believe me and said that was impossible. Ha, we're on track to blow that figure away by then. Looking at years after that I get dizzy thinking about the numbers, when just a short time ago it looked like we were up the creek.

Still revising our goals now that I've gotten smarter about finance and investing (been reading and studying everything I could over the last year) and have realized what we're capable of. Hoping to fire in late 2025 with my military pension (expected to be 50k in todays dollars) plus a stash of at least $500k. I think we can do even better than that.

Holy fucking shit. We are gonna win.

NinetyFour

• Magnum Stache
  • 362 days until Freedom!
« Reply #1233 on: February 10, 2016, 05:35:18 PM »
^^ That is awesome! ^^  Congrats on the huge turnaround!
My Journal

Countdown to Freedom:  362 days

Basenji

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #1234 on: February 11, 2016, 05:35:08 AM »
Awesome! That's inspiring, good for you..

arebelspy

• Administrator
  • Senior Mustachian
« Reply #1235 on: February 11, 2016, 07:47:47 AM »
Turned the fucking corner.

In the summer of 2014, we were drowning. All the credit cards were maxed, payments on them and various other loans were sucking down all my income, and at the end of the month I felt like a piece of shit because I couldn't afford to buy a banana for my kids. It looked like not only would we never be rich, but we'd be on the treadmill forever. Eventually somehow I realized the only way out was to pay off the debt.

Sold a bunch of stuff. Canceled many money-sinks like cable, magazine subscriptions, clubs, etc. Sold more stuff. Wife got a job. I worked a little bit extra outside my main job. Sold even more stuff. Paid off over $110k in debt over the last year and a half. Late in 2015, I started to be amazed how rapidly the cash began to build up in the bank account now that there were so many fewer payments. Accelerated debt payoff.

Refi'd 19k of student loans, approved for 2.1% by SoFi. Once that refi is finalized, we will slow-roll finishing paying those. Only remaining debt is 8k on a car at 3.75%, and our mortgage which is at the same interest rate. Car loan will be gone by May; I'm prioritizing cash into 2015 IRA contributions until April (3k of 11k invested so far). I know we weren't debt free just yet but knowing that we will be soon I wanted to cheat and start investing sooner, ha ha.

By the end of the year I want us to have put 22k into IRAs (5.5 each for 2015 and 2016 for myself and wife) plus 18k into my TSP. She has a 403b that she puts into up to the match, but is planning on quitting to be a SAHM again before the end of the summer.

Back when we decided to get serious about destroying our debt and becoming rich, I told my wife that by the end of 2017 we would have $50k saved/invested. She didn't believe me and said that was impossible. Ha, we're on track to blow that figure away by then. Looking at years after that I get dizzy thinking about the numbers, when just a short time ago it looked like we were up the creek.

Still revising our goals now that I've gotten smarter about finance and investing (been reading and studying everything I could over the last year) and have realized what we're capable of. Hoping to fire in late 2025 with my military pension (expected to be 50k in todays dollars) plus a stash of at least $500k. I think we can do even better than that.

Wow, that's a great story!

Well done taking charge!
We are two former teachers who accumulated a bunch of real estate, retired at 29, and now travel the world full time with a kid.
If you want to know more about me, or how we did that, or see lots of pictures, this Business Insider profile tells our story pretty well.
We (occasionally) blog at AdventuringAlong.com.
You can also read my forum "Journal."

DagobertDuck

• Bristles
« Reply #1236 on: February 11, 2016, 03:27:06 PM »
Awesome! Keep it up!

Parizade

• Bristles
« Reply #1237 on: February 19, 2016, 11:03:55 AM »
got an $8000 bonus today, WHOOT!

~Ellis Felker

AmandaS1989

• Handlebar Stache
  • Ferocious Accounting Beast
« Reply #1238 on: February 19, 2016, 02:55:44 PM »

That is awesome! Any special plans for that sweet sweet cash?
My Journal

"Just because you HAVE a dick, doesn't mean you have to BE a dick. Treat people how you wanna be treated, and if they're still an asshole to you, then to hell with 'em." - Nanny

Parizade

• Bristles
« Reply #1239 on: February 19, 2016, 02:57:54 PM »

Throwin' it on the FIRE baby!

~Ellis Felker

AmandaS1989

• Handlebar Stache
  • Ferocious Accounting Beast
« Reply #1240 on: February 19, 2016, 02:59:26 PM »

So basically its for freedom right? ;)
My Journal

"Just because you HAVE a dick, doesn't mean you have to BE a dick. Treat people how you wanna be treated, and if they're still an asshole to you, then to hell with 'em." - Nanny

Parizade

• Bristles
« Reply #1241 on: February 19, 2016, 03:02:30 PM »

So basically its for freedom right? ;)

I'm getting close enough to smell the fresh air now, it's intoxicating!

~Ellis Felker

gliderpilot567

• Stubble
« Reply #1242 on: February 19, 2016, 03:18:26 PM »
It's awesome how the more you save, the more opportunities you find for additional savings. The exact opposite of being in debt.

Today I logged into my homeowners insurance. I checked my deductible and saw it was $2700 which is 1% of my home value. I had changed it to that from $1k last year when we were clawing our way out of the hole. Looking at the deductible amount, I thought, hell, that's too low, I can pay that easy with cash on hand! So I raised it to $5000. I could take it as high as $10k, but I'll do that once we've moved a few more rungs up the ladder. Saved a couple hundred a year.

EcoCanuck

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #1243 on: February 20, 2016, 01:28:37 AM »
Congratulations to all of the amazing accomplishments! I have randomly been going through different pages for motivational nudges here and there.

Minor: I turned down a car from my company where I would have had to have paid for insurance, gas and parking and instead have joined their commuter bus program. Now I get to save, nap a bit in the car/read/socialize every day.

Major: We just reached our 2 year savings goal! With a new job I started we are on track to save what we saved in 2 years in 1 year, doubling our substantial savings. Improved our savings rate from 60% to low 70’s. This won’t be maintainable due to some impending life events but should settle to a strong 60%.

EcoCanuck

stealthystache

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #1244 on: February 22, 2016, 08:34:49 AM »
My SO (who is decidedly NOT so frugal) has been watching me change all kinds of money habits over the last year and *offered* an old coin collection to be cashed in. Most of the coins are really just face value, but the big win is seeing a slight shift in thinking. No longer a massive consume and waste factory, I'm noticing much less eating out, fewer trips to the mall (thank god for that!), and better choices all around :)

The 300+ cash in coins went immediately to investments, and the more valuable ones we'll find the value on and sell. They're some really old silver dollars and should bring in another several hundred.

Every little bit is a step closer to freedom - seems to be my theme!

onehair

• Bristles
« Reply #1245 on: February 23, 2016, 10:44:23 AM »
I just found out we are supposed to be receiving bonuses from 1 to 3% sometime this week I believe.  I am allocating one third to outstanding debt, one third to savings or stocks and one third or less to either splurge on a book that interests me or absolutely nothing so that Digit or Acorns will skim it automatically.
 The book in question is only $12 used so no facepunches? Please?

del84

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #1246 on: February 23, 2016, 04:15:52 PM »
Had a couple recent celebrations.

I had refinanced my mortgage back in December 2015. This brought my interest rate down from 4.39% to 3.99% (Australia). They also offered $2,000 cashback incentive for the refinance and it only cost about $900 to change, so I also essentially got paid $1,100 to go to a lower interest rate. At the time this was about the lowest interest rate going.

This month, the bank just increased the rate by 0.2% making it 4.19% (other banks will no doubt follow suit soon), but on their website they were offering 4.09% to attract new customers. I complained to the bank saying I had only been with them less than 2 months and i'm no longer getting a "new customer" rate, so they dropped my rate back down to 4.09%.

FrogStash

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
  • Get there...FASTER!
« Reply #1247 on: February 24, 2016, 01:48:02 PM »
I good year end review led to a maxed out raise (4%) and bonus ($13,000 net after taxes and 401k etc.).  But the real celebration is that the net worth number crossed over $300,000!

I accidentally ran across my first MMM article just over a year ago and it has changed my life.  I only wish I found it sooner. 

stealthystache

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #1248 on: February 24, 2016, 09:20:14 PM »
Had a couple recent celebrations.

I had refinanced my mortgage back in December 2015. This brought my interest rate down from 4.39% to 3.99% (Australia). They also offered $2,000 cashback incentive for the refinance and it only cost about $900 to change, so I also essentially got paid $1,100 to go to a lower interest rate. At the time this was about the lowest interest rate going.

This month, the bank just increased the rate by 0.2% making it 4.19% (other banks will no doubt follow suit soon), but on their website they were offering 4.09% to attract new customers. I complained to the bank saying I had only been with them less than 2 months and i'm no longer getting a "new customer" rate, so they dropped my rate back down to 4.09%.

Very clever! Folks don't realize many things are negotiable...even a bank's definition of a "new customer".

Mongoose

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #1249 on: March 01, 2016, 03:33:42 PM »
Ok, so these are probably fairly pathetic reasons to celebrate from many folks perspectives (disclaimer: we are starting over after semi-voluntary career changes). They make me happy though!

- We have gained 8-9 more months to rebuild our lives without running out of money (as of November 2015, we were on target to be bankrupt March 2016. A lot of hustling, optimizing and selling excess stuff has moved that date back to December 2016 or later). My current biggest triumph.

- We paid off all but one debt completely last fall and are still paying more than the minimums on our remaining credit card debt. Ok, it's not as great as paying it off but every dollar over the minimum is fantastic.