Author Topic: Celebrations Thread  (Read 340806 times)

fitfrugalfab

• Stubble
    • FitFrugalFab
Re: Celebrations Thread
« Reply #1100 on: August 31, 2015, 07:37:04 AM »
My DH and I are purchasing our first home and we were able to stay in the city since we're getting a studio condo. Very excited to move and we're closing in less that 3 weeks!
Need tips on getting fit, frugal, while being fabulous?
https://fitfrugalfabblog.wordpress.com/

TooManyGuitars

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #1101 on: August 31, 2015, 05:15:49 PM »
My company has been over withholding for taxes by way too much for the last couple of years, resulting in massive refunds.  I fixed that, and rerouted the additional $$ into my superannuation account, and now it is maxed out.  :-)

Dollar Slice

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #1102 on: August 31, 2015, 05:45:38 PM »
I called Time Warner because my internet bill had gone up to $78/mo (for the mid-level 30/5 package!?!) from $66 since my "promotional credit" expired. I called in to see what I could do, and it turned out that they'd upgraded their tiers so I was now in the 200 Mbps range. Downgraded to 50/5 (faster than I had before) and now my bill is supposed to be $58.

I fully expect some sort of billing shenanigans involving losing a credit I didn't know I had, but it will definitely be at least a little cheaper. :-)
...it's not at all alarming that people have started quoting me in their siggy lines.

Matilda

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #1103 on: September 05, 2015, 12:49:01 PM »
This is a tiny celebration, but I have taken the first step in paying down our massive CC debt.  Yesterday was my second paycheck, and I made an extra payment towards the worst card.  We have so much to do, but it feels good to have started, at least. 

MsChewieBear

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #1104 on: September 08, 2015, 08:19:15 PM »
I'm new here, so these accomplishments are very small, but I suppose it's better to have gains than losses!

1. Paid off a $710 loan balance. It had a $286/month payment, so that opens up a lot of room in our budget.

2. Paid off a $150 credit card balance.

3. Added $410 to our emergency fund.

happy

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #1105 on: September 09, 2015, 06:06:09 AM »
No mustachian achievement is too small for this thread! Well done :)
Journalling at Happy Aussie Downshifter

MsChewieBear

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #1106 on: September 09, 2015, 10:53:08 AM »
Thank you! Just paid off another debt for $163.49. "Only" 16 more debts left in my snowball (9 of them have balances of less than $800, so although things aren't great, they aren't quite as dire as they sound when I say I have 16 debts left to pay).

I also opened a Roth IRA account for myself and one for my husband. He's leaving his current job at the end of September, so he'll be able to roll his 401(k) right over. I'm self-employed, so I thought a Roth IRA was the best type of account out of all my options.

Prospector

• Walrus Stache
  • The late worm misses the bird.
« Reply #1107 on: September 09, 2015, 12:21:25 PM »
Go ChewieBear! Doesn't it feel good clearing out those little guys!

We managed to get rid of a line of credit and a Visa Card earlier this year, and now are down to fighting dragons - no more gremlins to chase. Just make sure to roll those payment onto your bigger debts to knochk them down. Once the payment amount gets absorbed into the family budget you never get it back!

Are you already on YNAB? It will make a big difference.
Follow along in the thrill-a-minute journal. or Come visit The Barnhouse

Camp Mustache Canada 2017 Organizing Committee member - 1 spot(s) has come open.

JLee

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #1108 on: September 11, 2015, 12:43:41 PM »
I quit my job last week and signed a new offer for a 59% raise plus profit sharing, so likely closer to 70% in reality.  Twice the vacation time, 1/3ish health care costs, plus other perks. I'm thrilled. :D

aetherie

• Bristles
« Reply #1109 on: September 11, 2015, 12:51:16 PM »
Woohoo go JLee!

Neustache

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #1110 on: September 11, 2015, 02:15:56 PM »
Mighty impressive, JLee!

Feminine Mustique

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #1111 on: September 13, 2015, 06:34:57 AM »
Traded in my enormous 2012 Highlander for a 2014 Prius v with only 14,000 miles... And getting a check back from the dealership. Thank you MMM for waking me up!

xdragoox

« Reply #1112 on: September 13, 2015, 07:07:39 AM »
Congrats to all of you!!
This site never ceases to amaze me with it's positive encouragement and inspiration.

My little accomplishment is that I just paid off an CC with a $4,260 balance on Sept 1st.
The ultra-low promotional 1.9% APR was scheduled to automatically rise up to 23.90% after 09/01.

I also paid off another Credit Card that had a balance of $3,275 a few month ago back in May.

That's two down, one more to go.
Thank you my fellow Mustachians!
« Last Edit: September 17, 2015, 12:25:38 PM by BeardedWarrior »

happy

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #1113 on: September 13, 2015, 03:25:48 PM »
Nice work JLee, FM and BW
Journalling at Happy Aussie Downshifter

FiveSigmas

• Bristles
« Reply #1114 on: September 14, 2015, 12:44:33 AM »
I quit my job last week and signed a new offer for a 59% raise plus profit sharing, so likely closer to 70% in reality.  Twice the vacation time, 1/3ish health care costs, plus other perks. I'm thrilled. :D

Way to go JLee! Had you been feeling out for the new position long, or did the opportunity just spring up?

Pinch of salt

• Stubble
« Reply #1115 on: September 14, 2015, 09:34:53 AM »
I just, well a few weeks ago, bought a flat (what we call them here in the UK)! It's a new build and very energy efficient as most new builds are these days due to government requirements. No more smelly other people's food, bastard flatmates or covering myself up to look decent around my home (and actually feeling welcome in my home!) Wooooot!

JLee

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #1116 on: September 14, 2015, 09:46:16 AM »

Way to go JLee! Had you been feeling out for the new position long, or did the opportunity just spring up?

I got set up by a good friend who's been trying to get me an offer for the last 7 months and it finally pulled through. :D

FiveSigmas

• Bristles
« Reply #1117 on: September 14, 2015, 11:25:35 PM »

I got set up by a good friend who's been trying to get me an offer for the last 7 months and it finally pulled through. :D

Nice. Friends kick ass :-)

Squirrel away

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #1118 on: September 15, 2015, 03:23:09 AM »
I just, well a few weeks ago, bought a flat (what we call them here in the UK)! It's a new build and very energy efficient as most new builds are these days due to government requirements. No more smelly other people's food, bastard flatmates or covering myself up to look decent around my home (and actually feeling welcome in my home!) Wooooot!

Congrats.:)

Lindy Hop

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #1119 on: September 15, 2015, 08:17:00 AM »
We are paying off the mortgage on the rental house today. Which is step 2 of our 5 step plan to reach FI. So while it sounds really exciting, it actually is just a small celebration. I've crunched the numbers a thousand times and this is the right thing to do. Why does my stomach hurt so much?

FoundPeace

• Stubble
« Reply #1120 on: September 15, 2015, 10:41:28 AM »
I've been biking home from work for a few months now, and I finally conquered my toughest hill. When I first started it took me 18 minutes, and yesterday I shattered all of my records and made it in 9.5 min!

JLee

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #1121 on: September 15, 2015, 11:02:21 AM »
I've been biking home from work for a few months now, and I finally conquered my toughest hill. When I first started it took me 18 minutes, and yesterday I shattered all of my records and made it in 9.5 min!

That's fantastic! Congrats!

Pinch of salt

• Stubble
« Reply #1122 on: September 15, 2015, 12:21:04 PM »
Thanks @Londoner38! You must feel the pain or know what I mean

Urchina

• Stubble
« Reply #1123 on: September 16, 2015, 12:30:31 AM »
Today's celebration for me is more an accumulation of little willpower victories than any milestones achieved. But I had a kick-ass Mustachian day today!
1. I biked to work (as I do twice a week) and home again. I packed a lunch and cleaned out a bunch of the little bits and bobs left in the fridge. Refrigerator Velcro Salad to the rescue again! (It was delicious).
2. While getting ready to take a munchkin to soccer practice, I realized we were almost out of bread. This makes making lunches at our house difficult. So... I pulled out the food processor and in less than 10 minutes had two batches of bread dough mixed, kneaded and rising. I baked them tonight after dinner (dinner was a baked meal, so the oven only got heated up once) and avoided a trip to the grocery store, which I guarantee would have had me buying more than just a loaf of bread! Plus, this bread is waaay yummier.
3. Today was payday and one of us got a bonus (hint: it's not the one that works in the public sector) ;), plus I got a reimbursement check for some travel expenses, so we got to stick a solid chunk in our taxable Vanguard account as well as one of our 529 accounts. Whoo-hoo!
4. While on my Vanguard account summary page, checked one of my deferred comp accounts and realized that my dividends for that account have doubled as I plow more money in. That's awesome! I don't expect this to continue (I'm pretty sure exponential dividend growth is only something you see when you are investing at the low end of the curve, and I just opened this particular account six months ago), but it's motivating for now!
5. I also signed up for the Vanguard automatic investing. We'd been putting spare money into the taxable account, but we consistently max out our deferred comp / IRAs, so I decided to start funneling money to the taxable account on a regular basis. We've got low-cost index funds in there, of course (Hello, VTMSX! can't wait to start dating the Admiral version of you soon!)
6. I redid my SRA for the 403b, to max it out.
7. Redid my SRA for my other deferred comp plan (a 457) for 2016 and will max that out as well.
8. Set a goal of saving 50% of our take-home pay for the rest of 2015 and for all of 2016. We're at 43% now. I'd like to get us up to 60% within the next five years.

Looking forward to contributing to this page more in the future!

asauer

• Bristles
« Reply #1124 on: September 23, 2015, 08:06:50 AM »
So....I'm holding a freshly minted copy of my book in my hands. After a year+ of blood, sweat, tears and liver-compromising levels of alcohol consumption, it's actually here. And, I think it might actually be really good. I don't even fucking know how I feel right now. This is the strangest celebration feeling I've ever felt. Yay?

Congrats!  I felt the same way when my book was published- well, it was more like "I never want to see this fucking thing again".  Especially after editors have been going through it with a hacksaw.  A few margaritas cured that feeling though : )

zephyr911

• Magnum Stache
  • I'm just happy to be here. \m/ ^_^ \m/
« Reply #1125 on: September 24, 2015, 10:06:51 AM »
Waited like a year to get DW on board with the phone co. switch - her phone was in good shape and one or the other of us was facing a termination fee, etc.
We finally went from $140+ on AT&T family plan to two lines on Republic @ $55. Am expecting to get substantial refunds on data (1GB each) and may reduce the base plan once I see the results.

Also, parked biked to work today from the halfway point (my transitional strategy, as it's 10+, I need to build muscles, and the first half is sketchy - shoulderless highway or backroads and bushwacking). Tomorrow, a new bridge opens up that could give me a shorter and safer route (<9mi).
I am not a cog. I am an organizational lubricant.

TravelJunkyQC

• Bristles
« Reply #1126 on: September 25, 2015, 07:01:45 AM »
It's my birthday on sunday, and my gift that I gave myself is depositing the last 6,000$ needed to max out my TFSA. Now that that's done, I can max out my RRSP before the end of the year. Yay!

Cookie78

• Handlebar Stache
    • Cookie's Goals
« Reply #1127 on: September 28, 2015, 12:04:25 PM »
It's my birthday on sunday, and my gift that I gave myself is depositing the last 6,000$ needed to max out my TFSA. Now that that's done, I can max out my RRSP before the end of the year. Yay!

Awesome!! Congrats!

I just did some math this morning and discovered I may be able to max both mine out by the end of this year too. It's a stretch, and it might be a little tight, but worth trying. :) Amazing to me since originally my goal was to max them both out by next year. Considering for 10 years I contributed a whopping 200/month towards investments I had a long way to go to catch up. :)

Urchina

• Stubble
« Reply #1128 on: October 04, 2015, 11:43:41 PM »
I spent a couple of hours today pulling data on our YTD long-term savings. Including our mortgage principal, retirement accounts, emergency fund savings and 529 accounts (which is a pretty critical part of my retirement plan, since I plan to go back to college for another advanced degree at some point in the future) -- our savings rate is over 50% of our take-home pay!

Sooo excited! I knew we were above 40%, but couldn't prove it and still don't really believe it. Our nuclear explosion of cash is even larger than we thought it was!

Now I need to reset our savings goals. I'd like to have it up to 60% next year, and shoot for 75% within three years.

Still, riding the 50% wave is pretty cool!

Pooperman

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #1129 on: October 05, 2015, 03:52:03 AM »
Achievement get:
Networth > $50k

:D

onehair

• Bristles
« Reply #1130 on: October 05, 2015, 09:25:41 AM »
I paid off one of my loans returning $50 to my paycheck.  Also I increased my TSP allotment by $2 my stock allotment by $2 and saw my Acorns account is 0.26 cents away from $100.  And I was given a nice giftcard to use for $75....

cautiouspessimist

• Bristles
« Reply #1131 on: October 06, 2015, 07:12:04 AM »
I didn't really want to count it since it includes the equity in my house (which is fairly nebulous at best), but I hit 6 figures this week.

PathtoFIRE

• Stubble
« Reply #1132 on: October 08, 2015, 09:46:55 AM »
$1,000,290 !!!*

*includes home equity and 529s, does not account for transaction costs of liquidating home equity, 529s, or retirement accounts, I expect to celebrate the more-real-to-me milestone of retirement/bank account only $1MM in early 2017

JLee

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #1133 on: October 09, 2015, 07:17:18 AM »
I got my first pay stub at my new job and realized that, given my catching-up phase on my 401k (started late this year and I am trying to max it) and now HSA access as well, my monthly pre-tax deductions are more than my entire earnings were when I bought my house less than 3 years ago.

$1,000,290 !!!*

*includes home equity and 529s, does not account for transaction costs of liquidating home equity, 529s, or retirement accounts, I expect to celebrate the more-real-to-me milestone of retirement/bank account only $1MM in early 2017

Awesome!! Congratulations! You've reached my ideal target number, too :D

MelodysMustache

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #1134 on: October 11, 2015, 01:11:38 PM »
Wow!  I am, theoretically, FI!  I had gotten away from MMM for a little while and have been facepunch worthy spending, but still saving quite a bit.  I have not really been paying attention to my net worth.  I reviewed the numbers yesterday and really thought about it.  Between my home equity and investments I could sell in my high COL area, buy a simple rural home outright, and live a quiet life for the rest of my days.

If I wanted to make my hobbies my profession, I could.  If I wanted to write the great American novel (assuming I have the skill), I could.  If I wanted to simply spend my days reading, knitting, gardening, and hiking, I could. 

For now, I choose to continue working.  I enjoy my profession, I enjoy travel, and my family is here in this high COL area.  But for the first time in my life working is a choice.  My daughter is grown and gone, my son is still in college and living with me for now.  They each have their own money thanks to their late grandparents.  I am not in a hurry to upend my life and retire early quite yet, but I could.  What an amazing place to be in!

StackingStache

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #1135 on: October 12, 2015, 10:35:59 AM »
-Paid off my car
-Paid off all credit card debit
-Cut the cable
-Slashed the cell phone bill down
-Slashed the car insurance down
-Bringing food to work

Now I'm watching my money stack up...
Thanks MMM!
It's time to FIre it up!

aetherie

• Bristles
« Reply #1136 on: October 12, 2015, 04:45:20 PM »
I got an 8% raise!

AmandaS1989

• Handlebar Stache
  • Ferocious Accounting Beast
« Reply #1137 on: October 13, 2015, 08:48:14 AM »
Hello everyone. I'm a brand-new Mustachian-in-training who found the MMM blog last month. Boy I was a real consumer sukka before. I was already starting to wise-up a bit and now I am on track to get my finances in order. I've had a few reasons to celebrate this year including:

1. Finally got my career in accounting started with my job as a staff accountant that I started this past May. It might have taken 3 years after I graduated but I finally did it!

2. Paid off two credit cards so far! Will be three once the balance transfer from my 25% interest goes through to the 0% interest card! Then it will be three to go!

3. Paid off my car this past February-9 months early! That loan was 20% interest ugh

4. Finally started saving for retirement with my 401k. I contribute 4% since my employer matches 100% up to 4% of my income. I also started a Roth IRA with Betterment.

5. Started a savings account-currently have $1000 in it!

So a lot to celebrate but a lot to work on as well. I have around 63K in student loans and after I get my tax refund this Spring I will be paying off a student loan, saving me $106 a month to put towards other loans, and will also pay off the remaining balance on my Note 4 so I can cut the $92.12 a month cord to Verizon and sign up with PlatinumTel for just $30/month. I'm also looking to have those last three CCs paid off by May 2016.

Then I can re-fi my SLs that are 6% and above and save some money!
My Journal

"Bravery can only exist in the face of fear, or f**cks if you prefer. I’m telling you to cradle those little buggers tightly to your chest. Let them make your heart thump and your chest heave and your brain squirm in horrified discomfort, and then do it anyway.” – Sailor Sam

G-dog

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #1138 on: October 13, 2015, 09:33:43 AM »
Hello everyone. I'm a brand-new Mustachian-in-training who found the MMM blog last month. Boy I was a real consumer sukka before. I was already starting to wise-up a bit and now I am on track to get my finances in order. I've had a few reasons to celebrate this year including:

1. Finally got my career in accounting started with my job as a staff accountant that I started this past May. It might have taken 3 years after I graduated but I finally did it!

2. Paid off two credit cards so far! Will be three once the balance transfer from my 25% interest goes through to the 0% interest card! Then it will be three to go!

3. Paid off my car this past February-9 months early! That loan was 20% interest ugh

4. Finally started saving for retirement with my 401k. I contribute 4% since my employer matches 100% up to 4% of my income. I also started a Roth IRA with Betterment.

5. Started a savings account-currently have $1000 in it!

So a lot to celebrate but a lot to work on as well. I have around 63K in student loans and after I get my tax refund this Spring I will be paying off a student loan, saving me $106 a month to put towards other loans, and will also pay off the remaining balance on my Note 4 so I can cut the $92.12 a month cord to Verizon and sign up with PlatinumTel for just $30/month. I'm also looking to have those last three CCs paid off by May 2016.

Then I can re-fi my SLs that are 6% and above and save some money!
Great work!  Keep it up, and when you feel like you are not progressing fast enough remember - the days are long but the years are short. There may be days when you feel like you are not yet where you want to be, but keep at it because over time you will get there. And in the end, it will happen faster than it seems at times.

AmandaS1989

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #1139 on: October 13, 2015, 09:45:23 AM »
Thanks g-dog. The years sure are shorter than I expected them to be. I can't believe I've been out of college for almost 3 1/2 years now!

Patience is one of my biggest problems. I want this debt gone now! But I know if I keep plugging at it, it will come down. I'm hoping next May I'll get a raise at my one-year review. Fingers crossed! But for now, I'm just gonna put as much as I can towards this debt.
My Journal

"Bravery can only exist in the face of fear, or f**cks if you prefer. I’m telling you to cradle those little buggers tightly to your chest. Let them make your heart thump and your chest heave and your brain squirm in horrified discomfort, and then do it anyway.” – Sailor Sam

Jojje

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #1140 on: October 20, 2015, 08:49:46 AM »
First month with a savings rate over 50%. Heard of MMM in May this year and I'm amazed how much we have changed our spending habits since then!

Szilveszter Hansen

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #1141 on: October 20, 2015, 09:06:23 AM »
First month with a savings rate over 50%. Heard of MMM in May this year and I'm amazed how much we have changed our spending habits since then!

This is quite the accomplishment considering the draconian tax rate of Sweden. I would consider MMM tactics almost impossible in a scandinavian society. But with the implication that you do not (or should not, rather) need any savings besides the occasional holiday, because you will be taken care of by the government. But alas, who knows how long that society will last at this point? Best save a nest egg for darker times to come.

In haste,
Szilveszter
« Last Edit: October 20, 2015, 09:08:36 AM by Szilveszter Hansen »

Jojje

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #1142 on: October 20, 2015, 10:09:58 AM »

This is quite the accomplishment considering the draconian tax rate of Sweden. I would consider MMM tactics almost impossible in a scandinavian society. But with the implication that you do not (or should not, rather) need any savings besides the occasional holiday, because you will be taken care of by the government. But alas, who knows how long that society will last at this point? Best save a nest egg for darker times to come.

In haste,
Szilveszter

Thanks, yes the tax rate at our income bracket is above 40% and if you take the total tax paid (me plus my employer) you end up at 55%. However daycare and health care is virtually free so there are benefits as well. Having small kids this is really good.
I do not trust the pension system to survive.

RapidLionInvasion

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #1143 on: October 20, 2015, 02:59:22 PM »
What better place for your first post than a celebration thread :D!

I want to celebrate how MMM has inspired me and lightened up my views of the future, which are completely accurate because I am an unexperienced 17 year old (lol).

While I have ambitions, it just occured to me after discovering this blog that the adults around me my whole life were quite the bummers. It may have unconsciously washed into my head that I too, if I was sane and normal and wasn't some hippie, must slave away for 45 years, perhaps unhappily, and possibly much longer until I am free to pursue my passions with a broken back and false teeth in some Golden Years (this term has always struck me as being ironic).

But what's this? People have actually managed to retire at 30? Its possible to attain freedom to do what you want to do while your body is still intact and you arent forced to keep the money flowing to eat and pay off debts?

Thank you, for helping me become an optimist!

And thank you, for a forum that is actually active!

Next year, I will be in college and the beginning of my financial responsibilities will begin, and I hope this forum can help and be with me through my uncertainties and inexperiences.

Hoorah for the forum!

Ring ring ring

AmandaS1989

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #1144 on: October 20, 2015, 03:12:58 PM »
You are so lucky to have come to the party at such a young age. Start saving now my friend. Compound interest will work some serious magic for you.
My Journal

Bill76

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #1145 on: October 22, 2015, 08:52:33 AM »
Rental house is sold! All the non-mortgage debt is paid off except for the 0% loan on our van (which originated pre-MMM).  I have cash on hand to pay that off, but I want to put it to more productive use.

If my back of the envelope math is correct, we'll have a small loss on the rental come tax time because it was vacant for a few months, and the sale should net close to zero for tax purposes.  With that, my landlording experiment is over for now.

TravelJunkyQC

• Bristles
« Reply #1146 on: October 26, 2015, 12:12:58 PM »
Just received my first pay for freelancing work! I live and otherwise work in Canada, but this pay is coming into my US account (I'm also a US tax-paying citizen). This means that for the year 2015, I can finally contribute to an IRA... and since I don't need this money, 100% will be going into my IRA. Canadian tax-advantaged accounts are already maxed out. Yay!

Sibley

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #1147 on: October 26, 2015, 06:10:11 PM »
My credit card debt is under $2000! Goal is to have it gone by the end of 2015, then rolling that payment onto student loans.

CU Tiger

• Bristles
« Reply #1148 on: October 28, 2015, 05:23:50 PM »
Last year my husband was promoted to CIO of his company with a tiny raise involved, but he was promised "a substantial bonus." Well, today, the substantial bonus letter came and it is (wait for it!) $10,000.

Our house is paid for, we own our cars free and clear, we have no credit card or other debt...our paychecks more than cover all our bills, even with a substantial savings rate. We have to figure out what to do with this money, what a great challenge to have.

Not only am I happy about this infusion of cash, I'm delighted for my husband, he's feeling pretty good right now. I married a good one.
There are two ways to get enough: one is to continue to accumulate more and more. The other is to desire less. - G.K. Chesterton

couponvan

• Magnum Stache
    • My journal
« Reply #1149 on: October 28, 2015, 05:42:55 PM »
Achievement get:
Networth > $50k

:D

WOO HOO!!!!
Why the hell are we going shopping? Buy sh*t, return other sh*t, go through sh*t and donate sh*t. Complain about having too much sh*t. Repeat. (Bracken Joy 2/17)