Author Topic: Celebrations Thread  (Read 341088 times)

protostache

• Pencil Stache
Re: Celebrations Thread
« Reply #1000 on: May 18, 2015, 02:53:44 PM »
Just received and accepted a promotion and pay raise for a move to a city with a cost of living 50% less expensive than my current post.   Live on the Indian Ocean and bump your savings rate to 65%, I'll take it!

65% is amazing! What service are you in, if you don't mind me asking?

ender

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #1001 on: May 18, 2015, 09:10:49 PM »
As for current celebrations, DW switched her accounts over to joint and mine should finally be done processing the paperwork tomorrow. I feel like this means we're operating much more like a team instead of a partnership (a la the recent thread by the same name), which makes me sort of irrationally happy. As a result of the combo we just opened our first taxable account and pushed our investment balance over $100k for the first time.

That's such a great feeling :)

CongoKid

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #1002 on: May 21, 2015, 01:02:02 AM »
Just received and accepted a promotion and pay raise for a move to a city with a cost of living 50% less expensive than my current post.   Live on the Indian Ocean and bump your savings rate to 65%, I'll take it!

65% is amazing! What service are you in, if you don't mind me asking?

Thanks Protostache....I'm in the international non-profit sector where a lot of costs are covered by the organization (e.g., housing, utilities) so it's much easier to get a higher savings rate.  I'm trying to take advantage of this for the years i'll be overseas.

link_417

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #1003 on: May 30, 2015, 12:25:13 PM »
Reached my first mini-goal of $5k net worth! 

I reached $0.00 NW last year and have been trying to reach my first goal of $5k NW before the halfway point of the year.  I kept fluctuating up and down around $4k and thought I would never break $5k, but last night I realized I forgot about the HSA my employer funds -- an extra $1.2k :)  I'm shooting for $10k by the end of the year.

protostache

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #1004 on: June 01, 2015, 10:21:31 AM »
In January 2007 I graduated college, moved across the country, got myself a fancy apartment all by myself, and bought a brand new car. I've tracked every penny that I've spent since that May, starting when I bounced a rent check and found myself with no cash and a heck of a lot of debt. This morning I made a stash chart for the first time:

A few notes:

• The green investment bars start at the start of my Vanguard history. I rolled a previous 401k into a new vanguard account and also at some point rolled a Roth IRA into it, but I don't have any history of what those accounts were invested in.
  • The initial debts where $20k car, $20k student loan, and $4k credit card.
  • The asset dip in mid 2010 is when I paid off the car in one chunk. The student loan got paid off quickly in 2011.
  • In 2013 and 2014 we spent large chunks of savings on family-emergency-related travel, paying cash for our wedding, and putting a down payment on our house (mortgage and home equity not included in this chart).
  • The new debt in 2013 was my new car, which is now completely paid off.

Mikhial

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #1005 on: June 05, 2015, 06:13:14 AM »
I just got $400 I already had written off as gone!

I was roommates with a couple a few years back. That's something I never plan to do again. No matter what, you will be out-numbered so it can make life hard. Anyway, I ended up moving out at the end of the lease, but they stayed and renewed.

As much as I tried, I was not able to get the to give me my portion of the security deposit. They had another couple moving in but it didn't seem "fair" to the new couple to have to pay a deposit. So I was stuck with a deposit on a house I didn't even live in. A year later at the end of the renewal, I tried to get my deposit back. Nope, they're going to renew again.

Last April was the 2nd year after my lease ended. I had already written the money off long ago but I wanted to give one last try. I emailed with no response. A few days later I FaceBook messaged and didn't get a response. Few days later I texted and got nothing. Few days after that I left a voice message.

I figured I could do everything I could and was about to give up. Then a day or two later I got an email saying he wanted to work out an agreement! It took to installments, but I just got my second $200 PayPal transfer last night. That was a happy little surprise :)

K-Dogg

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
My Hair is no Longer on Fire!
« Reply #1006 on: June 05, 2015, 02:12:11 PM »
My name is K-dogg, and my hair is no longer on fire. Iím a 29 year old Canadian female. Over the past 20 months I have paid off 67k in debt.

I never carried debt before entering university at 23, even though I was a bit of a spendy pants. I was fortunate to have always held down a well paying job. Once school started, I was only working 4 months a year in the summer and my spending habits didnít change.

Hereís my debt breakdown:

National Student Loan - $15,955
Provincial Student Loan - $18,490
Car Loan - $6,200
Visa - $9000USD
Mastercard - $15,000
Credit Line - $3000

When I found MMM about 6 months ago, I was already well on my way to paying off my debt.  But this site, the blog posts, forums and contributors have been so encouraging.

Looking forward, this will be the year I make my first investment. Something I had never given any serious thought to before. Hope to see you all around the forums. I am officially no longer only a lurker!

KMMK

• Handlebar Stache
    • Your Life Money Coaching
Re: My Hair is no Longer on Fire!
« Reply #1007 on: June 05, 2015, 02:15:59 PM »
My name is K-dogg, and my hair is no longer on fire. Iím a 29 year old Canadian female. Over the past 20 months I have paid off 67k in debt.

I never carried debt before entering university at 23, even though I was a bit of a spendy pants. I was fortunate to have always held down a well paying job. Once school started, I was only working 4 months a year in the summer and my spending habits didnít change.

Hereís my debt breakdown:

National Student Loan - $15,955
Provincial Student Loan - $18,490
Car Loan - $6,200
Visa - $9000USD
Mastercard - $15,000
Credit Line - $3000

When I found MMM about 6 months ago, I was already well on my way to paying off my debt.  But this site, the blog posts, forums and contributors have been so encouraging.

Looking forward, this will be the year I make my first investment. Something I had never given any serious thought to before. Hope to see you all around the forums. I am officially no longer only a lurker!

Wow, good for you! If you can pay off that amount of debt that quickly you should have no trouble accumulating a nice net worth.

K-Dogg

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #1008 on: June 05, 2015, 03:39:11 PM »
Thanks Kestra! The last 2 years has definitely been the highest earnings years I've had. That will lower a bit now with oil prices so low, but I'm still making out pretty good. I've been very lucky to avoid layoffs which are very common in my type of work.

Cougar

• Bristles
« Reply #1009 on: June 06, 2015, 01:29:10 PM »

checked investments and realized i was 15k further ahead than i had thought. great feeling and had to push my year end goals up and pushed my fire date to 18 MONTHS !

Cougar

• Bristles
« Reply #1010 on: June 06, 2015, 01:31:13 PM »

I reached $0.00 NW last year and have been trying to reach my first goal of $5k NW before the halfway point of the year.  I kept fluctuating up and down around $4k and thought I would never break $5k, but last night I realized I forgot about the HSA my employer funds -- an extra $1.2k :)  I'm shooting for $10k by the end of the year.

congrats 1.2k  !

i bet you make 10k this year. once you start serius saving it always piles up faster than you think in my experience.

link_417

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #1011 on: June 06, 2015, 08:07:48 PM »

congrats 1.2k  !

i bet you make 10k this year. once you start serius saving it always piles up faster than you think in my experience.

Thanks, Cougar!  I have a bunch of expenses coming up because of this move but once I'm settled, it'll be full speed ahead :D

iamlittlehedgehog

• Stubble
« Reply #1012 on: June 08, 2015, 09:06:31 AM »
We payed off our first credit card in 8 weeks! We slammed about $150 on it a week and just closed it. Plan on having a card cutting ceremony tonight :)
We can't brag about this to anyone other than my Mustachian family but it feels good and finally feels like we have some momentum to paying off our debt!

protostache

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #1013 on: June 08, 2015, 10:08:51 AM »
We payed off our first credit card in 8 weeks! We slammed about $150 on it a week and just closed it. Plan on having a card cutting ceremony tonight :)
We can't brag about this to anyone other than my Mustachian family but it feels good and finally feels like we have some momentum to paying off our debt!

Congrats! That's awesome.

Did you actually close the account yet? It's usually best practice to leave the account open with zero balance, since average age of accounts is a large component of your credit score.

iamlittlehedgehog

• Stubble
« Reply #1014 on: June 08, 2015, 10:28:46 AM »

Did you actually close the account yet? It's usually best practice to leave the account open with zero balance, since average age of accounts is a large component of your credit score.

Thank you! Hopefully we can knock it the next one this quickly too :)

We went ahead and closed it. It is actually my DH's CC and his credit score is high enough it can take a hit and we have no credit dependent purchases anytime soon, and this was a pretty low limit card (maybe 2k?) so the impact on our total utilization ratio is pretty minor. We intend to keep my card open then later down the line open one with better benefits. This card had almost zero rewards and we only opened it because our 12 year old moodle slipped a disc and had emergency vet bills (we are working on an emergency fund too)
« Last Edit: June 08, 2015, 10:44:47 AM by iamlittlehedgehog »

Cougar

• Bristles
« Reply #1015 on: June 08, 2015, 08:15:01 PM »

congrats and this is what i do. i have cards sitting in my file cabinet that i never use. i actually got a letter from one tell me if i dont use it in 2 months theyre going to close it for me.

T-Rex

• Bristles
  • Age 32. ♀ Veteran.
Re: My Hair is no Longer on Fire!
« Reply #1016 on: June 11, 2015, 08:46:36 PM »

I am super impressed. I really want to know how you did it. Are you going to start a journal?
"The APR is only 45.9% ... I'm already paying it off with my new credit cards!"

Sister C

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #1017 on: June 13, 2015, 11:41:15 AM »
My wife has started making mustachian comments!  She was initially skeptical so I didn't push the mustachian ideas I was discovering here. But over the past six months or so, she's seen me make changes in my own behavior (biking to work, tracking finances, aggressively paying off the student loan, no longer buying beauty products etc) as well as a larger change in my attitude (away from convenience/waste, not chasing luxury, towards more stable sources of happiness).  She's commented recently on how good it will feel to pay off the student loan, how we don't need more stuff to be happy, how having less stuff would actually increase our happiness, and how our life is already incredibly luxurious.  Love it!

Rural

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #1018 on: June 13, 2015, 12:32:02 PM »
Got next year's contract, and it includes a small raise, apparently some of it a very competitive merit raise. (Some is promotion-related, as I just got  tenure and promotion to associate professor.)

G-dog

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #1019 on: June 13, 2015, 12:36:10 PM »
Got next year's contract, and it includes a small raise, apparently some of it a very competitive merit raise. (Some is promotion-related, as I just got  tenure and promotion to associate professor.)

Congratulations on getting tenure! It's a big hurdle Prof. Rural
And congrats on the raise.

Rural

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #1020 on: June 14, 2015, 07:42:59 AM »

Congratulations on getting tenure! It's a big hurdle Prof. Rural
And congrats on the raise.

Thanks, G-Dog. The tenure's been awhile so ATM I'm more excited about the raise, but tenure also means I'm not automatically fired for not getting it, so it's a Good Thing!

OttoVonBisquick

• Stubble
  • Eisen und Blut und Pfannkuchen
« Reply #1021 on: June 14, 2015, 10:25:11 PM »
Hey all! A few small things to celebrate:

1) Went to a Goodwill store to find pants (which I did, $5!) and walked away with pants, a breadmaker, and a clothes iron (for said pants after a wrinkly wash) all for $15!
2) Really paid attention to price, and bought a ton of food (maybe 1.5 or 2 weeks worth) for $55
3) Researched up and am practicing hypermiling (engine braking, mainly), to look forward to higher-than-40-MPG-as-usual mileage
4) Just realized that by taking the train every day to work (for free!) I save SO MUCH on gas and future repairs!

5) I posted for the first (now 6) times today! I am already deeply excited about this forum community, and really am looking forward to meeting everyone here.

1967mama

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #1022 on: June 15, 2015, 03:37:51 AM »
Welcome, @Otto!

Nice job on the food shopping! (and other celebrations too)

LucyBIT

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #1023 on: June 15, 2015, 02:04:34 PM »
My little sister and I fixed my dryer door the other night. Ordered new hinges, swapped them out, works like a charm now!

Carlsky

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #1024 on: June 17, 2015, 07:29:25 AM »
On Wednesday June 10th, my wife and I paid off our line of credit.  Our only debt now is the mortgage on our house.  By the end of the year we will have our emergency fund fully funded.

Prospector

• Walrus Stache
  • The late worm misses the bird.
« Reply #1025 on: June 17, 2015, 08:09:40 AM »
On Wednesday June 10th, my wife and I paid off our line of credit.  Our only debt now is the mortgage on our house.  By the end of the year we will have our emergency fund fully funded.

So Jealous. The line of credit is such a weight for us. Its kindof a big deal around our house that we are pre-paying our kids summer daycamps without dipping into it this year - only 2 more weeks to pre-pay and then we can redirect all the childcare money to paying down the LoC. In the fall our youngest begins full-day school so our childcare will be down to after-school care for a half-hour each day. That will allow a much more aggressive pay-down.

Good for you on tackling that debt!
Follow along in the thrill-a-minute journal. or Come visit The Barnhouse

Camp Mustache Canada 2017 Organizing Committee member - 1 spot(s) has come open.

TheBanker

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #1026 on: June 17, 2015, 12:32:20 PM »
My net worth went from red to black today. Hopefully it will never go back!

I graduated college in 2013 with ~$25K in student loans and CC's and $22K auto loan. Still have some loans to pay down (at 3.15%) but have been adding to my vanguard accts since finding this site.

I turned in an old expense report yesterday and logged onto mint to find the good news!

secondcor521

• Pencil Stache
  • Big cattle, no hat.
    • Age of Eon - Overwatch player videos
« Reply #1027 on: June 18, 2015, 08:49:56 AM »
My WR-if-I-were-to-RE-today dropped below 3% yesterday.

I fully funded my Roth pipeline as of last week.

RE target (tentative, may contract OMY disease) is 2/19/16.
Like Overwatch?  Check out this YouTube channel:  http://bit.ly/AgeOfEon

arebelspy

• Administrator
  • Senior Mustachian
« Reply #1028 on: June 18, 2015, 09:07:01 AM »

Congrats!  I hope you catch OLY disease.  :)
We are two former teachers who accumulated a bunch of real estate, retired at 29, and now travel the world full time with a kid.
If you want to know more about me, or how we did that, or see lots of pictures, this Business Insider profile tells our story pretty well.
We (occasionally) blog at AdventuringAlong.com.
You can also read my forum "Journal."

Cougar

• Bristles
« Reply #1029 on: June 18, 2015, 09:17:10 AM »

Just got back a bigger tax refund than I was expecting. It dropped my fire date by 2 months, I'm now less than 20 months away !

secondcor521

• Pencil Stache
  • Big cattle, no hat.
    • Age of Eon - Overwatch player videos
« Reply #1030 on: June 18, 2015, 01:12:52 PM »

Congrats!  I hope you catch OLY disease.  :)

Thanks, ARS!  My countdown says 246 days left, so OLY will be hard :-).

Options vest on 2/4, will give 2 week notice on 2/5.  That's the current plan anyway; I may tweak it a little.
Like Overwatch?  Check out this YouTube channel:  http://bit.ly/AgeOfEon

happy

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #1031 on: June 18, 2015, 04:14:58 PM »
Finally achieved a 60% savings rate :). Its been a goal ever since I hit 50% 3 years ago.
Journalling at Happy Aussie Downshifter

Rural

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #1032 on: June 18, 2015, 06:14:10 PM »
Convinced my husband we should put 10-15k of our overlarge cash holdings into Vanguard funds. Considering he was raised by people who survived the Depression and still regards banks with a fair bit of healthy suspicion, this agreeing to the stock market thing is huge.

arebelspy

• Administrator
  • Senior Mustachian
« Reply #1033 on: June 18, 2015, 07:22:50 PM »
Finally achieved a 60% savings rate :). Its been a goal ever since I hit 50% 3 years ago.

You must be happy.
We are two former teachers who accumulated a bunch of real estate, retired at 29, and now travel the world full time with a kid.
If you want to know more about me, or how we did that, or see lots of pictures, this Business Insider profile tells our story pretty well.

happy

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #1034 on: June 19, 2015, 04:54:39 PM »
Yup. Maybe I should change my handle to Tortoise. But you know slow and steady wins the raceÖ..the changes I've made are well entrenched and sustainable
Journalling at Happy Aussie Downshifter

Sibley

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #1035 on: June 25, 2015, 11:46:46 AM »
Just a small achievement, but I'm really proud of it. I've been biking to work from the train station, about 1.5 miles. Except the last couple blocks are up a hill. This hill is murder, and I always have to walk part way up. My goal was to make it up the hill by the end of summer. Yesterday, I managed to make it up the hill on the bike!

arebelspy

• Administrator
  • Senior Mustachian
« Reply #1036 on: June 25, 2015, 02:01:45 PM »
Just a small achievement, but I'm really proud of it. I've been biking to work from the train station, about 1.5 miles. Except the last couple blocks are up a hill. This hill is murder, and I always have to walk part way up. My goal was to make it up the hill by the end of summer. Yesterday, I managed to make it up the hill on the bike!

That's huge!  Your badassity muscles are bulging!

karaishere

• Stubble
« Reply #1037 on: June 26, 2015, 06:16:18 PM »
We sold my husband's 2007 Saturn Ion. Best part is? He wants to save the money. It was his car from before we married, so I didn't put any expectations on what he should do with the money. I love how far he's come in just a year of me being on this forum. :)

Rural

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #1038 on: June 26, 2015, 07:15:22 PM »
Opened a Vanguard account this week, our first post-tax investments in anything with a chance of some reasonable return. Since Se waited so long, we can go straight to Admiral shares, it looks like.

Amesenator

• Stubble
« Reply #1039 on: June 27, 2015, 04:25:34 PM »
Heading back today to live in the U.S. after living in Shanghai for 11 years. Cultural experience/travel were big motivating factors for the move, but we also had financial goals. All the savings goals set at the outset have been met, we have paid off our Seattle house, cleared a 3x return on the apartment we purchased when we first moved here and are returning with a nice nest egg - pretty amazing to think back at our hopes and see how things have turned out. Plus, we've had a terrific experience living here - win all around!

Credaholic

• Stubble
    • Credaholic
« Reply #1040 on: July 01, 2015, 01:39:01 PM »
I'm not thrilled with where we're at in this moment, so I think I need to celebrate the things we do have to celebrate:

Paid off my Prius! It wasn't a big loan or a high interest rate, so I just slowly made monthly payments and as of last month it is mine all mine :) I celebrated with new tires which it desperately needed, and decided not to get the small scuff on the back bumper from being rear ended fixed (pocketed the insurance money instead.) Planning to drive it til it dies, and not worrying about what it looks like while I do.

Got word that husband's 401K match is returning! He's been rallying for this for years after it was taken away in 2009 (along with a 10% salary decrease across the board thanks to the economic crisis.) Although the company has been in good shape again for a long time now and his salary is well above where he was even before the pay cut, they still hadn't brought the match back and I can't wait for it to kick in.

Although we took on extra house debt (trying to remind myself that this is our only debt!) to finish building the house we're in the middle of, I'm happy that it appraised incredibly high and that our total house debt is only 50% of appraisal. I'm hoping that we'll actually use less of the credit line than we have available, and that our interest rate will be decreased when the house is done. We'll see if I'm posting those celebrations here in 6 months...
Addicted to maximizing my credit score and credit card rewards, and making it through mommy-hood as cheaply as possible.

Cougar

• Bristles
« Reply #1041 on: July 01, 2015, 02:18:26 PM »
I'm not thrilled with where we're at in this moment, so I think I need to celebrate the things we do have to celebrate:

Paid off my Prius! It wasn't a big loan or a high interest rate, so I just slowly made monthly payments and as of last month it is mine all mine :) I celebrated with new tires which it desperately needed, and decided not to get the small scuff on the back bumper from being rear ended fixed (pocketed the insurance money instead.) Planning to drive it til it dies, and not worrying about what it looks like while I do.

Got word that husband's 401K match is returning! He's been rallying for this for years after it was taken away in 2009 (along with a 10% salary decrease across the board thanks to the economic crisis.) Although the company has been in good shape again for a long time now and his salary is well above where he was even before the pay cut, they still hadn't brought the match back and I can't wait for it to kick in.

Although we took on extra house debt (trying to remind myself that this is our only debt!) to finish building the house we're in the middle of, I'm happy that it appraised incredibly high and that our total house debt is only 50% of appraisal. I'm hoping that we'll actually use less of the credit line than we have available, and that our interest rate will be decreased when the house is done. We'll see if I'm posting those celebrations here in 6 months...

congrats.

now you have to compund those, like put that prius payment in your 401k or an etf.

if it is as it sounds like that youre not yet where you want to be, you cant let up. you'll know when you get to where you want to be, you'll feel more at ease when your stash is big enough that you feel you can handle anything coming at you.

Erica/NWEdible

• Pencil Stache
    • Northwest Edible Life - life on garden time
« Reply #1042 on: July 08, 2015, 01:37:44 PM »
So....I'm holding a freshly minted copy of my book in my hands. After a year+ of blood, sweat, tears and liver-compromising levels of alcohol consumption, it's actually here. And, I think it might actually be really good. I don't even fucking know how I feel right now. This is the strangest celebration feeling I've ever felt. Yay?

Tortoise Banker

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
  • The winning strategy is simple, but not easy.
    • Tortoise Banker
« Reply #1043 on: July 08, 2015, 02:21:17 PM »
Just got a tenant for our primary residence turned rental.  We have an opportunity to reduce our housing costs significantly by moving and renting out.  Monthly savings added to net worth up from $1125 to $~3,000/month.  Working hard to pay down mortgage balance currently at $176,000.  Net worth is just shy of $500,000, hoping to get there by the end of the summer!
www.tortoisebanker.com -- The winning strategy is simple, but not easy.

Rural

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #1044 on: July 08, 2015, 06:57:31 PM »
So....I'm holding a freshly minted copy of my book in my hands. After a year+ of blood, sweat, tears and liver-compromising levels of alcohol consumption, it's actually here. And, I think it might actually be really good. I don't even fucking know how I feel right now. This is the strangest celebration feeling I've ever felt. Yay?

Yes, yay. Congratulations! Now where can I buy one?

yourusernamehere

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #1045 on: July 08, 2015, 07:36:57 PM »

Seconded!

Cougar

• Bristles
« Reply #1046 on: July 08, 2015, 07:52:39 PM »

Seconded!
congrats !

i have been told by women it was tougher to write a book than have a baby, so all sorts of respect for your book; be very proud.

arebelspy

• Administrator
  • Senior Mustachian
« Reply #1047 on: July 08, 2015, 09:34:39 PM »

Wow, way to go!!

Erica/NWEdible

• Pencil Stache
    • Northwest Edible Life - life on garden time
« Reply #1048 on: July 09, 2015, 07:23:00 AM »
Hah! Thanks. You can pre-order on amazon now (http://amzn.to/1KXeWqx), or it will be available "wherever books are sold" on September 29. Apparently it's currently the #1 new release in Seasonal Cooking on Amazon. Holy crap.

congrats !

i have been told by women it was tougher to write a book than have a baby, so all sorts of respect for your book; be very proud.
I'd agree with that. I've had two babies, both without pain meds, and writing this book was harder. I also gained more weight writing this book than I did pregnant with my son. :D

Wow, way to go!!
Thank you ARS. How's your wife's book going? Is she on to the second one?

arebelspy

• Administrator
  • Senior Mustachian
« Reply #1049 on: July 09, 2015, 10:01:43 AM »

Wow, way to go!!
Thank you ARS. How's your wife's book going? Is she on to the second one?

Yup!  She's got several close to release. :)