Author Topic: Catastrophic Healthcare Plans in 2019?  (Read 2105 times)

MindOverMatter

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
Catastrophic Healthcare Plans in 2019?
« on: July 18, 2018, 09:40:30 PM »
We have a couple threads here on healthcare, but they seem to be mainly philosophical/political discussions.  I'm wondering something more practical.

There is no individual mandate for 2019. The only reason I, as a self-employed person, ever got healthcare was because it was a better bet than paying the penalty.

However, now the premiums are climbing. I have no employer to make it cheaper. I'm young (early 30s), healthy, and pay around $350/mo. This is a high deductible bronze plan and around the cheapest one on the Obamacare exchanges that I could buy.  I don't go to the doctor, at all, so this is just money nearly-wasted in my opinion.

What I do know, however, is that if something were to happen - and of course accidents do happen - then having an "out of pocket max" per year is quite handy. Even a few days stay in an emergency room with procedures and so forth can set someone back tens of thousands of dollars. That's really what I'm worried about.

What are the options for someone to get insured who are in my situation? I don't smoke, have no pre-existing conditions, and I don't use prescription medication.

I think more broadly, what are people who don't need all of the ACA benefit  s of healthcare going to do once they are no longer compelled to have a particular type of insurance? Are there any quality links/guides/threads on the internet for navigating this?  Thanks.

frugalmom

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
Re: Catastrophic Healthcare Plans in 2019?
« Reply #1 on: July 18, 2018, 09:59:04 PM »
Major medical is the type of insurance that traditionally would have a high deductible, but then comprehensive coverage beyond that amount.