Author Topic: Car totaled-need help on used car--Enterprise resale or Dealership?  (Read 3496 times)

Mrs. Healthywealth

• Bristles
Hi all,

Someone totaled our car while it was in front of our house ahhhhh! This was a 12yr old car, in great shape, that I planned to keep for another 5yrs. If I'm lucky, I'll get $5000-$7000 for it, which, on the bright side, is way more than I would've gotten if I traded it in.  Can't get a tiny car because we have 2 bulky car seats. 

Thinking about 2015 Hyundai Sonata or 2015 Toyota Camry--even open to Elantra or Corrolla. (hopefully i can keep this for 15yrs). I've had some difficulty finding cars from dealerships that are older than 2014, they are tricky, but I prefer Certified Pre-Owned. US News ranked these 2 high on reliability and safety.  Here's my question, what are your thoughts of buying a fleet car from Enterprise? I've heard they do a good job maintaining the vehicles, and sell them at 40k.  They are a couple thousand cheaper than a dealership, go through an inspection, but have a very short warranty.

Also, is certified pre-owned worth the extra cost?

Thanks

Dicey

• Senior Mustachian
Re: Car totaled-need help on used car--Enterprise resale or Dealership?
« Reply #1 on: October 27, 2018, 10:26:14 AM »
Answers are: Craigslist (or your local equivalent) or Private Party. This is the MMM Forum, where we don't particularly approve of falderol such as "certified pre-owned", which is a fancy way of saying "used". 

Sorry about your car, glad no one was hurt.

cchrissyy

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #2 on: October 27, 2018, 11:12:44 AM »
https://forum.mrmoneymustache.com/mustachianism-around-the-web/stop-overpaying-for-lightly-used-cars/msg2136648

make sure you do the math vs a new car, an older car, and the same car without that certified-pre-owned labeling.

BicycleB

• Walrus Stache
  • Older than the internet, but not wiser... yet
« Reply #3 on: October 27, 2018, 11:32:41 AM »
I think that planning for 15 years on one car is a gamble, because that's a really long time.

Financially, I think you're better off buying a 6 year old car and driving it another 6 to 8 years, then replacing once if needed. Elantra/Sonata/Camry/Corolla are all cars that can be bought at that age.  Just once is all it takes to save almost half your total costs. Your risk is lower, depreciation lower, cost of capital lower; you don't need to pay comprehensive insurance; your overall cost is substantially lower than either a new or nearly new vehicle.  Save yourself $10,000!

To determine condition, have a professional car inspection by someone that you hire (Auto P.I. or similar). You'll get much more detailed knowledge at less cost than certified pre-owned. Plus the inspection report allows you to bargain better with the private party seller. Once you find a car you like on Craigslist, if your test drive looks good and the buyer seems not-shady, call in your inspection mechanic. I helped a friend buy a car last year that way. The inspector came right to us at the seller's house. She still loves the car a year later.
« Last Edit: October 27, 2018, 11:39:11 AM by BicycleB »

Mrs. Healthywealth

• Bristles
« Reply #4 on: October 27, 2018, 05:30:11 PM »
I'm really comfortable getting a car made in 2010-2014. I've never purchased privately. Aside from test driving the car, how do you know there aren't any major issues?  About 2yrs ago I spent money to get a new transmission for my now totaled car. I'm concerned that can happen when you buy from private buyer. I'm open to it, but need to figure out how not to be conned since I don't know much about car engines.

Craigslist has some potential options, but just concerned about what i mentioned above. What are some of the things you look at when getting used from a private seller?

px4shooter

• Stubble
« Reply #5 on: October 27, 2018, 07:18:51 PM »
Buying a rental car??

People trash them when they rent them. Sure, maintenance is good, as they fix stuff when it breaks, but they have been beat to death. My employer used to buy them, with an extended warranty option. The value was just not there.

accolay

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #6 on: October 27, 2018, 11:16:52 PM »
I think we've had a thread about buying rental cars before. Some say they've had no problems. But I used to work for a rental car place. And from that experience I would never ever purchase a used rental car... unless maybe the price was much much less than a similar non-rental car.

It think I'll give a +1 for craigslist.

accolay

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #7 on: October 27, 2018, 11:23:27 PM »
I'm really comfortable getting a car made in 2010-2014. I've never purchased privately. Aside from test driving the car, how do you know there aren't any major issues?  About 2yrs ago I spent money to get a new transmission for my now totaled car. I'm concerned that can happen when you buy from private buyer. I'm open to it, but need to figure out how not to be conned since I don't know much about car engines.

Craigslist has some potential options, but just concerned about what i mentioned above. What are some of the things you look at when getting used from a private seller?

Schedule an appointment with a mechanic to look it over There are also services that do this exclusively. If the seller refuses to have an inspection, that would be a red flag IMO. You can also find checklists online if you're inclined

Monkey Uncle

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #8 on: October 28, 2018, 05:05:51 AM »

Major problems can also happen when you buy a used car from a dealer.  A dealership used car was also driven for a while by someone else, who may or may not have abused it.  With a dealer, you are very unlikely to get any sense of how well the car was maintained or cared for.  The car has been detailed to make it look like it's in great shape, and they probably changed the oil and papered over any obvious problems.  But they're not going to rebuild a failing transmission or engine before they put it on their lot.

When you buy from a private seller, you might be able to get the maintenance records and history for the car.  If so, this is a big plus, as it shows that the owner was diligent in taking care of the car.  Usually this also indicates someone who drives like they have some sense. 

Whether you're buying from a dealer or a private seller, you will need to check the car out thoroughly.  Get the car inspected if you can.  Check the oil and transmission fluid.  If they are low or look dirty, that's probably a pretty good indicator that the car has not been taken car of.  Go for a long test drive that includes in-town stop-and-go driving, a stretch of high speed highway driving, and low speed tight turns in a parking lot.  If anything feels or sounds off, walk away.  Warning signs to watch for include knocking/tapping noises, roaring sounds, scraping or squealing sounds, vibrations, pulling to one side, smoke in the exhaust, looseness in the steering.  Crawl underneath and look for rust on the frame, suspension, and lower edges of the body.  A little surface rust on the exhaust system and suspension parts is not necessarily a deal-killer, but if anything looks crusty or completely covered in rust, it's probably best to take a pass on the car.  Rust on the body is usually a deal-killer for me, because body work is expensive.

RWD

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #9 on: October 28, 2018, 08:25:29 AM »

Schedule an appointment with a mechanic to look it over There are also services that do this exclusively. If the seller refuses to have an inspection, that would be a red flag IMO. You can also find checklists online if you're inclined

Agreed. A pre-purchase inspection (PPI) at an independent mechanic is recommended regardless of if you buy from a private party or dealer.

misshathaway

• Bristles
« Reply #10 on: October 28, 2018, 09:51:52 AM »
Here's my question, what are your thoughts of buying a fleet car from Enterprise?

Sorry about the other car. How frustrating!

I bought my current car from Enterprise 4 years ago and it's still fine. 2014 Toyota Yaris. I specified the make, color and top mileage and then I waited a couple of months for one to be taken out of the fleet.

calimom

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #11 on: October 28, 2018, 10:42:59 AM »
Just to add, and you likely already know this, but any child seats that were in the wrecked car have to be destroyed. The insurance payout will need to include replacement seats.

BicycleB

• Walrus Stache
  • Older than the internet, but not wiser... yet
« Reply #12 on: October 29, 2018, 01:29:18 PM »
I'm really comfortable getting a car made in 2010-2014. I've never purchased privately. Aside from test driving the car, how do you know there aren't any major issues? 

...Craigslist has some potential options, but just concerned about what i mentioned above. What are some of the things you look at when getting used from a private seller?

...To determine condition, have a professional car inspection by someone that you hire (Auto P.I. or similar). You'll get much more detailed knowledge at less cost than certified pre-owned. Plus the inspection report allows you to bargain better with the private party seller. Once you find a car you like on Craigslist, if your test drive looks good and the buyer seems not-shady, call in your inspection mechanic...

"Professional car inspection" examples, found by Googling "car inspection services":

https://www.autopi.com/
https://www.automobileinspections.com/
https://lemonsquad.com/

Here is a mainstream article on the topic. It mentions another smart move too - obtaining a vehicle history report from a service such as CarFax.com or AutoCheck.com.

https://www.autotrader.com/car-news/-site-used-car-inspections-better-odds-buying-used-192061

You can do this.

NorthernBlitz

• Bristles
« Reply #13 on: October 30, 2018, 08:35:47 AM »
We bought a Corolla from a non-dealership used car place. It was formerly a rental, but had no other owners. It was 2 years old when we got it.

Ran like a champ for the 8.5 years we had it. I only sold it because we had a 3rd child and couldn't fit 3 car seats in the back.

I would definitely buy another used rental car in the future provided it was from a manufacturer with a very good track record for longevity. There are Enterprise and Hertz car sales in our city and I'll check them out next time we buy a car.

dodojojo

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #14 on: October 30, 2018, 10:12:22 AM »
I've only ever bought one car so my experience is severely limited.  I bought a rental car Nissan Altima, 2 years old.  To be honest, I was so clueless I didn't even know until I paid for the car.  But it ran just fine and never had any problems. The only problems it had were caused by drivers. I tapped someone, someone backed into it while it was parked, etc.

NorthernBlitz

• Bristles
« Reply #15 on: October 30, 2018, 12:06:56 PM »
Also, my experience with a Honda dealer was that the "certified pre-owned" wasn't something tagged to a vehicle.

It was an option we could pick for an extended warranty. But, I don't think it extends the warranty all that much (the increased miles sounded large, but we would have hit the extra time first and I don't think it was very long).

I'm generally against extended warranties and didn't buy it.

mm1970

• Senior Mustachian
« Reply #16 on: October 30, 2018, 12:45:43 PM »
We have owned two former rental cars, purchased from Enterprise.  Both the Chevy versions of the Toyota (second one was a Prizm/ Corolla.  Loved that car.  It was totaled.)

Our experience was positive.

Buying used from a dealer is also no guarantee.  When we bought one of our current cars, we traded in the biggest lemon known to man, and I'm sure they sold it to someone (but it was a Saturn).

Mrs. Healthywealth

• Bristles
« Reply #17 on: November 04, 2018, 02:59:52 PM »
Wow!!! This is amazing advice. Sorry for the delay, found out I have some health issues I need to deal with, so have been tackling that for past few days. Treatment is going to dip into our savings rate, but well worth it.

Can't thank all of you enough for the information, really helps. I'm going to look at the links that were provided and see what I can find. This gives me more confidence in trying something new; I didn't know about being able to get a mechanic. 

To end on a positive note, I'm getting 10-12k back for my 2007 car with 160k miles...that would have never happened if I tried to sell it or trade it in. Trade in value was coming up $2800. Perhaps the universe helped me out--very grateful there was no one in our car. And yes, getting 2 new car seats too.

Thank you again. Feel like I save a ton of money every time I post a question :)

WheresMyMule

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #18 on: November 07, 2018, 05:43:38 PM »
Don't buy the car to fit the car seats, figure out what car you want, then buy seats that fit that car. All seats of the same type meet the same safety standards.

Sent from my Pixel 2 using Tapatalk

Money Badger

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #19 on: November 07, 2018, 06:55:11 PM »
@Mrs...   Find a used Toyota from a private seller for cash with immaculate service records...   Pay extra for this over the Hyundai please!  100K miles on a good Camry or Corolla / Matrix hatch is nothing and you'll get another 100K to 150K easily!   We've had 4 Toyotas over past 15 years...  and they are simpler engineering and simply bulletproof provided normal oil/brake/fluid services are done.   Consumer Reports ranks Toyota at or near the top every year for good reason...  They may not be thrilling feature wise or performance wise, but they just don't break unless abused.   We've bought 2 used Toyota's and 2 new ones...  And I also passed up a lot of dealer junk cars that were former rentals on both brands.   So I've driven multiple used Hyundai's in this journey and anything in your price range will likely be a pile sooner rather than the Toyota.   Don't drive a new one, drive older ones to see / feel / hear the difference!   Dealers also know how to cover up annoying condition issues whereas a private party car that's clean and has clean Carfax (no wrecks or cars from coastal hurricane areas) and dealer service records is worth it.   Good luck!

ysette9

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #20 on: November 07, 2018, 08:46:57 PM »
Don't buy the car to fit the car seats, figure out what car you want, then buy seats that fit that car. All seats of the same type meet the same safety standards.

Sent from my Pixel 2 using Tapatalk
I second this. I have two of these suckers in the back of my GTI/Golf and there is still room for another adult. https://www.combiusa.com/Coccoro-p/8220.htm
I’ve carried my oldest in this from a sub-4 lb preemie to now that she is 4.

Wow, a phone plan for fifteen bucks!