Author Topic: Canadians, how much do you spend on food each month in CAD$?  (Read 19717 times)

TrMama

Re: Canadians, how much do you spend on food each month in CAD$?
« Reply #50 on: October 14, 2016, 10:27:05 AM »
Thanks for all the thoughts on my situation. It's definitely an area I want to improve so I'll try to implement some of the ideas that we haven't tried and double-down on the ones we have.

Some of the big problem areas for us, and therefore the biggest areas of opportunity are:

- We do cook "gourmet" a bit too often, historically rationalized as less expensive than eating out, which is true, but it sets too high a floor on our expenses. I have generally made one spaghetti meal per week for convenience and to stock the freezer with lunches for work. I recently started making the sauce more "from scratch" which has been fairly easy and my wife likes the result much better than store-bought sauce, so that's a win for more gourmet at a lower cost.

- My son is allergic to cow's milk so we buy goat milk and cheese, and boy do I like cheese, especially goat.....

- We still buy too much boxed/prepared stuff but it has improved a bit.

- School lunches - making sure everything is nut-free is a challenge so we throw money at the problem.

- We don't watch the seasonality of the prices very carefully.

- My wife doesn't enjoy the experience of going to Superstore so she usually shops at Save'On or Loblaws which probably costs us an extra 10% right there. This is part of why aligning the cooking and shopping might help - I plan to try it for November.

I also hate shopping at Superstore, but I do it because it's so much cheaper. It helps if you organize your list in the same order as you'll walk through the store, or use an app that does this. This makes the actual shopping part go faster. I also bought some of their plastic bins years ago. These are so much faster to pack when you get to the checkout. I can frequently pack them faster than the clerk can even scan my items. If you haven't already switched to a box system instead of bags, I highly recommend it.

As for school lunches, we have similar issues. My YDD is allergic to all milk and eggs. Plus, in her class this year there are also serious allergies to shellfish and all nuts (plus some other less serious allergies). I swear they packed all the allergy kids into a single class, but I digress.

We've been making good use of thermoses for her. This week she's taken spaghetti and meat sauce, taco meat with tortilla chips and pepper strips (all packed separately) and she's also newly in love with ham sandwiches. Next week we'll probably add chicken soup. Combine all those with some sliced raw veggies, a piece of fruit, some homemade "trail mix" and a granola bar and she's good. No need to break the bank.

Try the mealime app for meal planning. I use it and love that you can tell it what foods you're allergic to and then it only returns safe recipes. AKA, your cheese spending will go way down ;-)

sleepyguy

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #51 on: October 14, 2016, 01:53:13 PM »
We don't really gauge too much... I would put us in a ballpark of $600-800/mth.  2 Adults + 2 young kids.

John Doe

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #52 on: October 14, 2016, 02:55:55 PM »
About $600 for to people.  Admittedly we eat very well - too well judging by my current pant size!

totoro

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #53 on: October 14, 2016, 03:03:03 PM »
We spend about $150/month pp.  Doesn't include eating out 2x/month and a few other things like entertaining on the holidays and cost of fishing/crabbing/gardening. I know our budget is not as low as some, but it is pretty good for the quality and variety and we are FI. 

We don't shop at super store or save-on because I don't like them - save-on is within walking distance but seems expensive and
unappealing to me.  We mostly shop at the local stores within walking distance and sometimes at fruit stands.  One of the local stores is an Asian chain and the prices are good.  I walk to the store almost every day and just buy whatever is on sale and plan dinner around that.  If nothing is on sale I pull something out of the freezer instead. I almost always make enough for leftovers for lunch the next day. 

Our regular meat these days is pork as beef and chicken have risen a fair bit this fall.  I will buy the cheapest meat, such as pork sirloin, and turn it into stir fry, pulled pork or Thai curry.  Once a week I will drive to the Asian chain's largest store so I can buy heavy and specialty items my store doesn't carry - like really large bags of rice, cans of soya sauce, olive oil, beets, squash or potatoes.  I do go to Walmart every second month to buy butter and some specialty items (they have a pretty large international section).  Once in a while I'll shop in Chinatown for things like fresh turmeric or lemongrass.
Now that I am retired I cook a lot.  Most recently I made pho stock to curb the eat out temptation.  It took eight hours (mostly simmering time) and we'll try our first bowl next week - I have 20 servings of broth frozen so I hope it is a good replacement.   

I like the frugal vs. splurges list, here is ours:

Frugal

- Cook from scratch and eat leftovers for lunch
- Bake every couple of days so always lots of snacks for the kids
- Make pizza dough once a week and keep in fridge in mason jars with lids for quick pizzas/calzones/pizza buns/cinnamon buns fresh for kids breakfasts
- Buy meat, dairy and produce on sale as needed, plus bulk buy staples in large quantities and bulk produce when in season at fruit stand
- Own a rice cooker and use it regularly
- Make soup
- Grow expensive stuff like herbs, tomatoes, berries in the garden - I'm still picking tomatoes and raspberries and we have lots frozen and dehydrated
- Make things that stretch expensive ingredients like meat such as gyoza, won tons, meatballs, pasta sauce, stir fry - we freeze gyoza for quick meals
- Use leftovers well - right now we still have ham and turkey in the fridge from Thanksgiving and I've made turkey soup, pea soup and quiche with the ham and will now freeze the leftovers including the turkey broth.  We had leftover fresh cranberry sauce and it was great as a cranberry apple crisp.  I love that you can find recipes with ratings for any ingredients quickly on the internet.
- Use the freezer.  I freeze many things I would have canned before - like broth, tomatoes and peaches.  I also freeze things like turkey fat in small portions to use for matzo balls and coconut oil to use for stir fries.  We save raw bones for the crab trap here too.

Splurge

- Free range organic side of beef.  This is not at all frugal but I'm working my way into doing this with other meat as well, and reducing meat consumption, as I feel that factory farming is wrong and we are supporting it by buying at the grocery store.  Not sure if we'll get there entirely while the kids are still at home but that is my goal.
- Specialty ingredients.  I had to force myself not to buy a $15 jar of ghee at the store today.  Indian recipes are on my list but I think we'd better eat what we have already first.  I'm a bit of a sucker for interesting ingredients (tamarind paste anyone?) and recipes and sometimes fall down on actual consumption if the family doesn't like the ingredient. 
- Eating out.  I'm okay with this as we are pretty modest, but we could cut it if we wanted to reduce the budget.  For us the takeout sushi is worthwhile as I've made it from scratch a number of times and it was not much cheaper and took a while.  Buying properly frozen fish is expensive.
- Alcohol.  Ditto.  Could cut but we don't. 
- Expensive ingredients. We don't eat any instant or processed foods except instant ramen sometimes (kids). We all like cheese - all kinds, milk, cream, dark chocolate, better than bouillon, capers, maple syrup, butter, olives, meats, free-range eggs and nuts.  I buy in bulk and on sale and try to use these ingredients somewhat sparingly. The kids sure put a lot of maple syrup on their pancakes... We have the more expensive cheeses only at xmas, easter and thanksgiving.
- DH buys lunch out sometimes (pays from his own money so not sure how much) as he is not always good about packing his lunch.  I'm working on this.
« Last Edit: October 14, 2016, 03:06:21 PM by totoro »

Prairie Gal

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #54 on: October 14, 2016, 08:17:34 PM »
Just wondering what people don't like about Superstore? Is it packing your own bags? I agree, it is annoying, especially when there are no other customers and the clerk is standing there watching you. But, for the price difference, I will do it.

Zikoris

• Magnum Stache
  • Vancouverstachian
« Reply #55 on: October 14, 2016, 08:27:46 PM »
Just wondering what people don't like about Superstore? Is it packing your own bags? I agree, it is annoying, especially when there are no other customers and the clerk is standing there watching you. But, for the price difference, I will do it.

I don't have super strong opinions on the matter, but once in awhile I go to Superstore and it always takes me forever to get everything because the store is so ginormous and spread out. It's also pretty much impossible to find staff - the roller blades they give them in Vancouver mean they're damn near impossible to chase down. Actually, I don't know if they have roller blades anymore - I haven't been to that store in several years, and it always seemed like a safety hazard.

totoro

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #56 on: October 14, 2016, 10:06:01 PM »

Packing my own bags makes no difference to me.

Here superstore is in Langford here which is a 30 minute drive from us so not worth it.  I really dislike the huge size and lack of charm and I know they have been cited for re-dating meat: http://bc.ctvnews.ca/shopper-questions-store-s-best-before-dates-on-chicken-1.593437 

I'd rather shop at Fairways or Thrifty's most of the time - better produce at both and prices are good at Fairways.  I think the bottom line for me is I'd rather pay slightly more or adjust my food choices to what is available at a good price within walking distance and is locally owned. 

I do buy butter at Walmart and Better than Bouillon at Costco so I'm not really on the high horse about it.

Goldielocks

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #57 on: October 14, 2016, 10:23:12 PM »

The stores are huge (even just the grocery portions), so it takes a long time.

Then it really sucks when you have toddlers / young children or babies with you.  why?  It takes way to long for them, and then you can't pack your bags / pay attention to little kids / see what the cashier is doing.  SOO stressful to check out a large cart, with very cranky kids, while you are trying to bag all of your own groceries.   Look around, very few moms take kids to this store without a helper / friend.

Next,  varies by store, but produce quality at mine sucks.   They used to be always out of milk on the shelves by 11am on saturday or have very poor temp control (like the load was allowed to warm up, and milk goes bad 3 days early).  My store is much better now... but it was BAD for several years.

When they go through a wave of newer cashiers, the discounts and the correct prices for produce are often not applied at the cash register properly, and it is a hassle x 4 to try to get customer service to fix anything  / refund.  Those cashiers don't know anythingn about "free if priced wrong", and price checks take too long.

Long lineups, and only 4 cashiers out of 20 lanes open.   They fixed this with "all checkouts open on sat/sun before 6" but it was a real problem before -- I had been known to walk in, see the line, and walk out again to go somewhere else.

A big bear of mine is when they run out of their "gift for $250 purchase" and sub it with an item that is not a $25 value, but like an $8 value  of an overstock item instead of giving points....  A 12 pack of toilet paper is NOT as $25 dollar value!

They have less selection /less variety of many items, because a larger full face case stocking is cheaper to stock on the shelf. (big store, less items)  The shelves are a mess and missing many price tags, items are placed over the WRONG price tag, so you need to look at each one VERY VERY carefully, store organization is poor, need to be careful about dates, expecially for packaged items in produce and the bakery department (check dates before you buy).

They don't have the cheapest prices on everything, especially when you compare for like quality.... they do have a lot of cheaper items and yellow label is good price.   You don't have to shop the sales to get their "best" or very good prices.   I was able to get many items at Safeway cheaper by shopping the sales, and Safeway had the variety, but Superstore is closer to me, and for no name labels, good prices.

Their "buy 3 for xx price" means that you actually have to "BUY3", often the identical flavor, or pay full price.  (other stores in my area give sale price for each unit bought).  You can't always tell at the shelf if mixed varieties are OK for the deal price or not.

Very few produce weigh scales / out of calibration -- Many more produce items are sold by the unit instead of $/lb, so it is hard to compare loose versus packaged produce.

All that said -- I don't have time to shop the Safeway sales anymore, or drive to 3 different stores.   I am not tempted by as much at Superstore, so it helps my purchasing behaviour.   They have cleaned up produce and dairy, so they are much better, and I don't have little kids anymore and can go to the store on my own.   

Therefore -- I shop at Superstore, No frills, Shoppers (for sale items on points days), and then the local Saveon for my groceries, in that order of frequency.

CanaDuh

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #58 on: October 15, 2016, 01:37:37 AM »
I've been fiddling with my grocery expenses for the last while, deciding what sort of foods suited me and what expense I was comfortable with - and what was realistic, if I didn't want white rice and beans for two of three meals. I'm one guy in my late twenties, and I've gone from a paltry budget of $20/week all the way to a grass-fed-and-organic budget of $100/week before settling where I am now.

My grocery budget is $180/mo, and I probably spend around $30 every three months when it's my turn to buy the communal goods for the house I share (toilet paper, paper towels, garbage bags, dish soap, etc. Costco for most of it, and a big bottle of white vinegar I point at whenever anyone asks where the pinesol is. I also opt out of buying some of it (paper towels, usually) if I think we have plenty. I've been converting my housemates to the reusable, washable towels/cloths as I can.) which I consider a separate budget that would also include toiletries. If it's not food, it doesn't count as groceries.

My meals are the following:

Breakfast: Odd days are smoothie days - two cups fruit, two cups homemade nut milk, two cups spinach, one cup oats, quarter cup of both nuts or seeds and plain yogurt. I buy nuts every three months when I need communal goods, or earlier if there's a sale on nuts there. Even days are one cup oatmeal with a banana, quarter cup of homemade yogurt and a teaspoon of maple syrup.

Lunch: Tuna or egg salad sandwich, side of carrots and celery with homemade hummus. I like my sandwiches with cucumber and tomato, and make my own mayonnaise.

Dinner: Chilli served over rice with roasted vegetables and savoury cheddar cornbread muffins.

Snacks: Grapes with cheese cubes, apple cinnamon or carrot muffins.

I have Tuesdays off each week (my only day off) and so do all my shopping and cooking for the week on that day. On the first Tuesday of the month, I will go to Superstore and buy the bulk of the month's groceries - anything that will be frozen or is shelf stable, as well as restocking what staples I've run out of or am running low on, using bulk purchases when available. I also procure the fresh fruit/produce for the first week during this trip. I typically aim to spend $120 on 'the big trip', leaving me with $20/week for fresh fruit and produce. For weekly shops, I often hit up the asian market that's inside the mall I work at, finding their produce quite good and usually on some sort of sale.

I cut costs in a variety of ways, but my biggest hurdle is that there are four people in the house, and not nearly enough fridge/freezer/pantry space. Given the shared ingredients between my meals (onions for the chilli and the tuna salad, carrots for both hummus and roasting, etc) I tend to be reasonably able to buy bulk foods, and thanks to the smoothie days and roasted vegetables that go with the chilli, I can get tons of my fruit/veg from the 'marked for quick sale' shelves-  the smoothie bags are portioned and frozen at the beginning of the month, and the vegetables for the chilli are all roasted and frozen with their portion of rice/chilli. I bake bread about twice a week, as I find I usually get five sandwiches out of one loaf, though I freely admit to being a lousy hand with the bread knife.

Many people dislike the monotony of my menu, but I enjoy the reliability of the meal plan, the savings offered by having many meals that share ingredients, the ease with which some of the pieces are prepared and the reasonable nutrition that I can expect from my diet despite relying largely on pre-made items like tuna salad or a container of frozen chilli. Feel free to pm me if you'd like any of the recipes I use - they're quite good, in my opinion. None are my own, save some tweaks I make as I'm cooking, but clearly I like them, given how often I use them.

Regards,

kayvent

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #59 on: October 15, 2016, 11:13:02 AM »
To add something, I find that my grocery bill is much smaller when I plan ahead.

• Perhaps I see that my laundry detergent only has a dozens loads left or my shampoo is half full of emptiness or I only have a block of cheese left. If I just have a list of these items in the back of my head, eventually, some week, they will be one sale before I run out.
  • My store cycles the food on sale (ex. this week chicken, next beef, next fish). Following the sales gives some variety in the food and new experiences if they have something on sale I normally wouldn't eat. They do a bad job showing the sales in-store (it doesn't pop out), so reading the flyer beforehand and planning helps.
  • Making a list keeps me constrained. I know if I make a list that I'll have enough food in the house for 8-10 days and nothing will go bad. If I don't have a list, I'll spend dozens of dollars more, food will go bad, and I'm often back in under a week because I've missed something critical. I don't trust myself to go into a grocery store without a list.

Chaplin

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #60 on: October 15, 2016, 05:44:45 PM »
I made a trip to Superstore today to top up before we're off to an out-of-town wedding for 6 days. All the complaints/concerns about Superstore listed above were visible (except the re-dating of meat), but since I went alone and didn't buy a usual week's worth it wasn't too too bad. The extra large carts in "normal" width aisles made for some good traffic jams.

The prices were definitely better on specific items that I'm familiar with from Save-On and Loblaws, eggs, for example. The local Superstore is very close to where I work so I'll try to work in a way to do our shopping in two smaller trips on my way home rather than one trip per week on the weekend. I hope to cut our costs while freeing up our weekends a bit more. With some practice I'll have the layout of the store down and should be able to blitz it.

If we can save $200/mo., that's over $10K before our current FIRE date which is under five years from now.

Stasher

• Handlebar Stache
  • Power through Positivity
    • Mindful Explorer
« Reply #61 on: October 16, 2016, 11:14:26 AM »
$800 per month for family of 4, including teenage boy.... likely more at $900 if I am travelling and DH does grocery shopping / cooking (even though they only feed 3 people).

The $800-$850 gives me "wiggle room" to buy birthday cards, halloween chocolates, shampoo, new kitchen towel or tool, detergent and paper... you get the idea, not all in the same month, but able to buy a bit of incidentals or whatever we want / need.  We don't try too hard to keep grocery costs down anymore.

Pretty much the same for us ~ roughly around $700

SandyBoxx

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #62 on: October 16, 2016, 11:40:05 AM »
Over the last year we have averaged close to $850/month for 2 adults and 2 boys (4 & 6).  Another $100/month in restaurants.

Our guilty pleasures are Kraft Dinner and Ichiban noodles now and then - but otherwise we eat a lot of fruit & veggies, white meat a few times a week (almost always purchased at a 30% discount the day before its BB date), and make lots of school snacks with avocado, chia seeds, & hemp hearts (=$$$).

"Groceries" for us includes one pack of overnight diapers a month, as well as household cleaning supplies.

With dedicated effort we could pare it down a little bit, especially if the kids would decide that meals with beans won't kill them. :)

Grocery choices are limited to an Overwaitea (did you know those still exist) and an IGA - neither known for particularly good prices.  There is a No Frills about an hour and a bit down the road in a neighbouring town.  We haven't bothered with it as we rarely have need to be in that community.

tssuila

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #63 on: October 16, 2016, 04:47:25 PM »
Ours is around $600/ month, but that includes toiletries and cleaning products, as well as alcohol for 2 adults and a 4 year old.  try and shop wisely, and pay attention to brands etc, but we still try and eat a lot of veggies etc, with meat sprinkled in without eating too much of it.

Bendigirl

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #64 on: October 16, 2016, 07:50:05 PM »
Ours is around $600/ month, but that includes toiletries and cleaning products, as well as alcohol for 2 adults and a 4 year old.  try and shop wisely, and pay attention to brands etc, but we still try and eat a lot of veggies etc, with meat sprinkled in without eating too much of it.

Alcohol for a 4 year old.....lol

We are retired now so we get to spend money!  We spend about $500 a month.  Gluten and grain free for serious health issues.  Meat and eggs are ethically raised, hormone free and grass fed if possible.  Lots of veggies.  If I bake it's with almond flour (very expensive!).  Gluten free flours are a carb nightmare and my body has to be low carb (sad pancreas cannot handle elevations in sugars)
I love to find the dollar bags at Walmart.  Recently I got a monster papaya, a pineapple and some coconuts for a dollar each (and they had apples in the bags too).  Chop them up and freeze for smoothies.  bags filled with beautiful peppers are common.  It's hit and miss and sometimes the bags are not nice but I always look.
So many food allergies, so no peanuts either.  Almond butter is a treat.
No rice, pasta, beans, oats ....we eat 90% paleo but with cheese (don't touch the cheese!). 
Recently apples are a great deal.  My tomato pile from the summer harvest is down to about five...so sad.

Big expenses are quest protein bars for travel (very bad food allergies make this absolutely necessary), meat, everything almond....
But I save on veggies and fruit, not eating out and baking my own gluten free stuff.
I shop sales always.

Today's food
Gluten free, protein rich pumpkin muffin, coffee, banana
Greek yogurt with fresh strawberries, almonds
Huge dinner salad with pork meatballs
Gluten free corn muffins (yes, a grain but this was a huge treat)
There may have been a piece of cheese involved 😁

Since we retired things are far more laid back.  I used to stress over food and getting the best price.  Now, if we go over budget...so what...food is so darn important!

crystal_dawn

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #65 on: October 17, 2016, 07:57:37 AM »
damn I'm at 925$ a month for 2 adults and a 4yo...

This is definitely our greatest expense after the mortgage. To my defense, our "grocery" budget includes everything house related (soap, shampoo, TP, kleenex, medicine, cleaning products, kitchen stuff, etc...), the gas for the car (which we barely use), and whenever we have friends over or go to friends for diner.

We spend about 800 on food a month 2 adults and one 8 year old (southern Ontario, small town with two grocery stores.) I also include shampoo, soap, TP etc. in there (not gas though.) We almost never eat out as the hubster has major food allergies (gluten, dairy, egg, & almonds) and if we do it comes out of a different budget category. I'm working on eliminating ALL waste as there is always an onion that goes bad, or the last celery that wilts before we eat it which is a major issue for me. It's less about the money for me but I feel like the waste is a slap in the face to my foremothers who starved in their lifetimes.

I'm also beginning to shop in a way that looks for less packaging. I've also discovered a farmer who sells meat directly (within biking distance, yay small towns!) And I can go look at the cows in the field and know the quality (it is a bit more expensive this way, but I'm okay with that.)

I think with all the small gains I've made the money will naturally grow as 800 is a lot for 3 people, but I'm not worried about it. We have budgeted it and siphon off funds from that category if it gets too big and throw it into our RRSP... I'm sure we could be more efficient, but I'm okay with it.

Prairie Stash

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #66 on: October 17, 2016, 10:57:40 AM »

When they go through a wave of newer cashiers, the discounts and the correct prices for produce are often not applied at the cash register properly, and it is a hassle x 4 to try to get customer service to fix anything  / refund.  Those cashiers don't know anythingn about "free if priced wrong", and price checks take too long.

Therefore -- I shop at Superstore, No frills, Shoppers (for sale items on points days), and then the local Saveon for my groceries, in that order of frequency.
I disagree with the hassle; once you do it a couple times you learn the routine. I take a picture of the item in the aisle with the price. Go to customer service and they'll try to make some discussion, I then whip out my phone and get $10 off or a free item. With my daughter was born they  regularly messed up diaper prices when they put them on sale. There were times we got boxes for free, several days in a row because we kept going back. When the two of us shopped together we always doubled up.

The pro trick is to take the picture. Never get them to do a price check for you, it takes forever for them to get a sales associate to find it.

Chaplin

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #67 on: October 23, 2016, 07:55:20 PM »
I'm considering the idea of getting a chest freezer. We definitely run out of freezer space even with the limited cooking ahead we do. For a one-time cost of not much more than $100 on Craigslist and a few dollars of extra electricity every month, this might be one factor in helping us reduce our grocery costs.

scrubbyfish

« Reply #68 on: October 23, 2016, 09:33:16 PM »
I don't aim for lowest spending possible; I aim for health, joy, time, and peace, and that determines much of how I grocery shop. (No coupons, one store, etc.)

Forummers challenged me to give Superstore another shot, so I did. Turns out that, in terms of sensory stuff, it was only the Vancouver one I didn't like.

Among my SS pet peeves were standing in line for 15 minutes, only to have stuff rung through incorrectly, have the next customer hitting my legs with their cart, me rushing to bag stuff, then having to stand in line for 15 mins again to have customer service correct the first set of errors.

Here is what has resolved its challenges for me:

1. If possible, choose one of the smaller Superstore locations.

2. Once, buy one of their shopping cart tokens, so you're never hunting for a loonie ever again.

3. Write your list generally in the order of the store (as folks here mentioned).

5. Buy that giant bucket of yogurt for $9.

6. Use the self check out. No more rapid bagging, no more customer pushing their cart into your legs, etc. Use the cart to block off your personal area. Hit the mute button to shut off Robot Voice. Scan each item and see the price as it comes up. If it's wrong, the attendant can fix it immediately! Cool! Bag as slowly as you wish, with no one hitting you.

These really helped me (and my grocery bill).

totoro

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #69 on: October 23, 2016, 10:48:39 PM »
I like those tips scrubbyfish!  I'm in a different town for a week with a smaller superstore so maybe I'll give it another shot.

totoro

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #70 on: October 23, 2016, 10:57:35 PM »
I'm considering the idea of getting a chest freezer. We definitely run out of freezer space even with the limited cooking ahead we do. For a one-time cost of not much more than $100 on Craigslist and a few dollars of extra electricity every month, this might be one factor in helping us reduce our grocery costs.

That is exactly what we did, but the small size chest freezer.  It is enough as we have one of those fridges with the bottom chest freezer that also holds a lot.  I find the big chest freezers too big and easy to forget about stuff myself.  When we bought a big side of beef we bought one of those upright freezers but they are not very good on electricity.  We live near the stores so all we are really freezing are extra meals and broth, garden produce, some organic beef special orders, and a few things bought on super sale like butter, tart shells, peas and bacon - plus all those bananas - so many brown bananas.  I find that given that I shop regularly I don't need to buy three turkeys when they are on sale because, well, they go on sale again before we can eat three turkeys.  I'm okay to let the grocery store pay the electric bill on most things instead.

Prairie Gal

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #71 on: October 24, 2016, 05:10:00 AM »
Scrubby, those are good suggestions. I will add that if I don't need toiletries I only have to shop half the store because they put all the clothing and housewares in the middle, and the toiletries on the far back wall. If I do need toiletries, I will stock up on them so I don't need to go over into that area very often.

We have No Frills here, and they are a division of the same parent company. They have the same prices, and are smaller. So that might also be an option for some people.

scrubbyfish

« Reply #72 on: October 24, 2016, 07:39:03 AM »
...I will add that if I don't need toiletries I only have to shop half the store because they put all the clothing and housewares in the middle, and the toiletries on the far back wall. If I do need toiletries, I will stock up on them so I don't need to go over into that area very often.

Oh, good one!! Yes, I'm generally in just half (if that) of the entire place for that reason.

Chaplin

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #73 on: October 24, 2016, 07:47:43 PM »

That is exactly what we did, but the small size chest freezer.

Yes, the smallest ones I see are 5 cu. ft. and can be had for about $100 on Craigslist.

Chaplin

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #74 on: October 24, 2016, 07:54:36 PM »
I'm also working on giving up red meat (beef and lamb) and processed meats, at least for myself if not my wife and son. The initial impetus isn't grocery costs, but it should help there too. My son is generally averse to beef (and often all meat), so that should be an easy sell for him, but perhaps harder for my wife. The processed meats might be a bit tough too because of school lunches and my son does like bologna, but hopefully turkey slices or something like that work out.

MBot

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #75 on: October 24, 2016, 10:05:39 PM »
$280-$340 a month for 3 adults and an infant. We shop almost exclusively at Food Basics.

JAYSLOL

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #76 on: October 24, 2016, 11:46:25 PM »
We are at ~$600/m for 2 adults + 1 toddler.  I'm sure we could get it down a fair bit if we put in the effort. 

urover

• Stubble
« Reply #77 on: October 13, 2017, 08:42:08 PM »
We spend around $150 per month for two adults. This doesn't include the luxury of eating out once or twice (max) every month which is not more than 50$ total. 150$ includes around 3 bags of 4L organic milk per month. Every other meal is prepared from scratch or is a leftover from the day before (or 2 days max). Our food wastage is very low < ~5%. We're also vegetarians and survive on lentils, beans, some Indian vegetables, and plenty of veggies and fruits found in regular grocery stores. We also only purchase organic berries and high quality (costco) fruit.

I believe the major reason for our kinda low expenses are due to the fact that we barely ever buy processed food apart from mustard, ketchup, pickles, chips, instant noodles, bread, and soda (yes $150 covers all these extravagances too!).

Now our transport costs are another matter, sigh!

Step37

• Bristles
« Reply #78 on: October 13, 2017, 10:38:42 PM »
We are $400-450 per month for two adults. This is grocery food only; dining out and alocohol is tracked in a different category. I hit Costco about once a month for the things it makes sense to buy there (and if regular things that we normally buy are on sale, I buy them even if they’re not needed immediately). There’s a specialty produce store I’m near weekly; the prices are good so most produce comes from there. The rest is from the neighbourhood IGA a few blocks from home (I LOVE that store - small, friendly, tidy, fast service).

My husband found a FANTASTIC (free!) grocery app called OurGroceries. We have each store that we regularly shop set up (Costco, Groceries, Bulk Barn, Produce Store, etc.). When something gets low, add it back to the list with one tap/tap the item to remove once bought. It updates on both of our phones. It’s been life changing! No more forgetting the list. As long as we remember to add stuff as needed, we are golden.

elaine amj

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #79 on: October 14, 2017, 11:07:48 AM »
I missed this thread the first time around. We spend an average of $770/mo for 4 people (2 adults, 2 teens). I was working to get it down to $500/mo but finally gave up. With a bit more effort, I think we could do $650 or so but this is where we are right now.

I have to say - the Superstore discussion really puzzled me. We consider the Superstore "fancypants spending" and only go there for certain things in their health food aisle that is more difficult to find elsewhere.

The vast bulk of our spending is at Food Basics, Freshco and the local Asian store. We'd spend far more a month if we shopped at the Superstore regularly.
We are $400-450 per month for two adults. This is grocery food only; dining out and alocohol is tracked in a different category. I hit Costco about once a month for the things it makes sense to buy there (and if regular things that we normally buy are on sale, I buy them even if they’re not needed immediately). There’s a specialty produce store I’m near weekly; the prices are good so most produce comes from there. The rest is from the neighbourhood IGA a few blocks from home (I LOVE that store - small, friendly, tidy, fast service).

My husband found a FANTASTIC (free!) grocery app called OurGroceries. We have each store that we regularly shop set up (Costco, Groceries, Bulk Barn, Produce Store, etc.). When something gets low, add it back to the list with one tap/tap the item to remove once bought. It updates on both of our phones. It’s been life changing! No more forgetting the list. As long as we remember to add stuff as needed, we are golden.
Oooo...we have used rebee for years. But it doesn't sync between devices. I'll have to check it out.

Sent from my STH100-1 using Tapatalk

FIRE47

• Bristles
« Reply #80 on: October 14, 2017, 03:06:21 PM »
A box of Kraft Dinner is plenty of food for an entire day. Interestingly, the caloric content actually seems to be higher in Canada, as this page suggests that a box of original Kraft Dinner has a whopping 960 calories in Canada. In the United States, the analogously-branded product has only 750 calories (or at least one particular version does). In my recollection, Kraft Dinner was also somewhat cheaper in Canada than in the United States. If Kraft Dinner isn't your thing, there are plenty of other pasta shapes that you could eat at a similar total monthly cost. It all depends on how quickly you want to save up money and reach retirement.

How is 960 calories enough food for an entire day? A basic BMR calculator tells me that even if you're only 4'8" and 80 lbs you still burn 1125 calories per day, not including any burnt via exercise.

I was wondering about this as well?

TrMama

« Reply #81 on: October 14, 2017, 08:55:03 PM »
I have to say - the Superstore discussion really puzzled me. We consider the Superstore "fancypants spending" and only go there for certain things in their health food aisle that is more difficult to find elsewhere.

The vast bulk of our spending is at Food Basics, Freshco and the local Asian store. We'd spend far more a month if we shopped at the Superstore regularly.

Most of that discussion started with me I think.  It could just be different markets.  I don't recognize any of those store names and we have Safeway and Save-On Foods as our two main other choices.  I call Safeway a giant convenience store.  I swear if I shopped there I would spend twice the amount I do today.

I probably contributed to the Superstore love. It really is the cheapest store here. I don't recognize any of the other chains you mentioned. I also use their points credit card to further reduce my spend.

elaine amj

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #82 on: October 14, 2017, 10:37:35 PM »

Most of that discussion started with me I think.  It could just be different markets.  I don't recognize any of those store names and we have Safeway and Save-On Foods as our two main other choices.  I call Safeway a giant convenience store.  I swear if I shopped there I would spend twice the amount I do today.

I probably contributed to the Superstore love. It really is the cheapest store here. I don't recognize any of the other chains you mentioned. I also use their points credit card to further reduce my spend.
Really interesting. Especially since I was at the Superstore today (needed some avocado oil) and did not buy anything else at all. Oh..except for a bag of avocados I price matched. Everything was much more than I normally pay. E.g. I don't buy ribs unless it's on sale for $1.99/lb. I saw it today at the Superstore today on sale for $2.77/lb. Ouch! And in general the fruit is almost twice what I normally pay. Local folks here love the Superstore and tend to turn down their nose at Food Basics/Freshco.

Goldielocks

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #83 on: October 14, 2017, 11:13:26 PM »
Superstore is not the cheapest way to buy groceries.   When I worked for Safeway, I had privy access to pricing lists, and would comparison at superstore, and it was not consistently cheaper... except that to get the better prices elsewhere, you had to buy on the sales regularly and not grab a couple of extra items.

Superstore does seem to be cheaper here, if you buy on the sales, but the selection is smaller, our store has not great produce (only walmart is worse imo).   Buying Hi / low at other stores will typically be better, but takes more time and more stores to get to.

MrsTuxedocat

• Bristles
« Reply #84 on: October 15, 2017, 01:16:41 AM »
I find Superstore the cheapest grocery store to purchase dry goods like peanut butter, pasta, dried beans etc. It's not always the best place to get fresh veggies and fruits though. I try to only visit Superstore a few times per month as I find it a daunting experience.

I pay $480 for two adults. We eat organic half the time, are veggies, and sometimes buy processed food.

CanuckStache

• Stubble
« Reply #85 on: October 15, 2017, 09:45:58 AM »
So I actually have no idea... We don't really keep track of our spending on groceries (gasp!). I think generally because my wife and I both do the shopping, i.e. run out to the store when we need something. We have separate bank accounts and just don't bother to compare them.

We generally make one big costco trip every month where we spend about $300 or more. This includes things like toilet paper, laundry detergent, that kind of stuff. But we stock up on big packs of chicken thighs, wings (we love making wings), sometimes fish (if they've got the wild sockeye, and I haven't caught any). We don't usually get the produce there because we find the packs too big and much of it ends up going bad too quickly. We buy the mixed frozen berries since we have smoothies every morning. We haven't bought them in a while though, since they were on sale a few months ago for like $8 a bag (instead of the usual $12) and we bought 10 bags or something crazy and loaded up the deep freezer.

We make a LOT of use of the deep freezer. Whenever we're at the local grocery store, they often have different meats marked down for sale (10%-50% off). If we see something interesting we'll load up and just put them straight in the deep freezer. Often times it's their home made sausages, bacon, steaks etc.

We don't buy too much beef though. Once a year or so we go to a local butcher and order a hind-quarter. It yields about 120 lbs of meat - costs about $600 last time I think? We end up getting a pretty great variety pack of local, organic, grass fed beef. Lots of ground beef, stewing meat, several large and small roasts, and dozens of steaks. Great value. We keep the bones to make broth and I like roasting the marrow. The dog gets a couple too.

When I was a kid I remember my dad would get meat from a local butcher school in Toronto. It'd be far cheaper than the local stores, just maybe the cuts weren't perfect. Worth checking out if you have one in your city.

Just had a baby though so the bills are going to change for sure. Thankfully he's breast-fed right now, but diaper cost is a 'new' expense for us. Tried cloth, but couldn't keep up with it.

Other grocery cost is alcohol. Not sure how many people are including that. I like my beer, DW likes her wine. That cost has been quite low for the last year what with the pregnancy and all, but before that we definitely spent too much in that category. Trying to keep up with the good habits now with the little guy around. We do the wine-kits from a local store and it works out great. Maybe comes to about $4-$5 a bottle and tastes fantastic (a little decanting helps). We order together with some friends and then mix and match the batches for some variety. I've never found a u-brew beer that I like. We do have a number of great micro-brews around here and I'll just go bring a growler and fill up from time to time instead of buying at the store. Haven't done the full cost analysis, but it 'feels' cheaper at $10-$12 a fill for super fresh beer vs $15 a 6 pack at the liquor store. Even if it's not cheaper, it just tastes better imho.

As others have mentioned, we'll make pear and apple sauce from our tree and neighbours. Easy to make and not too time consuming. Tastes great as an ice cream topping! Our garden didn't produce any veggies this year mostly because we didn't have the time, but also because we don't know what we're doing.

PharmaStache

• Bristles
  • Peg City 'Stache
« Reply #86 on: October 15, 2017, 09:54:38 AM »
Superstore/Loblaws isn't the same across Canada.  Some places it's an expensive luxury food store, apparently.  Weird! 

oily_stache

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #87 on: October 15, 2017, 11:43:16 AM »
From mint my average is 180$/month for one person over the last 12 months (this also includes household essentials like toiletries and cleaning supplies). The method I use is to buy almost everything in bulk when it goes on sale and to incorporate the high calorie/low price foods like oatmeal or rice into most meals. Another key for me (as a safeway/sobey's) shopper is to only buy the bare minimum fresh foods weekly and do a big shop (>100$) on the weekends when safeway has spend 100$ get 100 airmiles promotion (95 miles = 10$ off next time). So this way, I essentially am able to get 10% off groceries at safeway.
In terms of further food cost reduction, I'm sure I could find a place to get fresh produce at a cheaper price on the weekly shop, but that would likely involve getting in a car, which is not entirely mustachian.

plainjane

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #88 on: October 16, 2017, 09:05:29 AM »
So envious of those who "glean" fruit, how do you get to do that? Any fruit trees here are owned by someone, or else it's somewhere very remote and unsafe to be alone in.

In Toronto there is a group called Not Far From the Tree, where home owners can register their trees to be picked and the fruit is split between the homeowner, charities & volunteers.

Also in Toronto, there are Saskatoon berries all over the place in public parks. I've never picked enough to make a difference, but that is just because I am lazy.

elaine amj

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #89 on: October 16, 2017, 09:30:05 AM »
My SIL is an amazing gleaner. She lives in TO and picks all kinds of fruit. She goes for anything hanging over fence lines (into public property) and fruit trees in public spaces. I went for a walk with her once and we brought home a backpack full of fruit.  I would never have noticed a single one by myself. She comes to visit me and also finds all kinds of things on her walks nearby my house - I have never been able to do it on my own although she has shown me a few spots.

It blows my mind!

ChipmunkSavings

• Stubble
« Reply #90 on: October 16, 2017, 11:45:22 AM »
We spend on average 250$ per month for two adults. We aim for 70% meat/ 30% vegetarian for the meals, and we always shop the sales.

elaine amj

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #91 on: October 16, 2017, 04:31:21 PM »
We spend on average 250$ per month for two adults. We aim for 70% meat/ 30% vegetarian for the meals, and we always shop the sales.
That is pretty awesome and something I am aiming for. Stuck at about $190+ per person per month.

Blissful Biker

• Bristles
« Reply #92 on: October 16, 2017, 05:45:19 PM »
Hmm.  I have to admit I do not know what we spend on groceries.  I think we are in around $1K/month for my husband and I and our two hungry teenage boys.

Going to start using Mint and tracking our spend.  2018 will be the year of real data.

Stasher

• Handlebar Stache
  • Power through Positivity
    • Mindful Explorer
« Reply #93 on: October 16, 2017, 07:45:10 PM »
I've chimmed in here before but heck we have some new followers to the thread.
$900 per month ~ includes groceries, household items, cafes, coffe shops and restaurants
Family of 4 ~ two adults, 1 Univ student and 1 high schooler
We don't drink and only have coffee/tea when eating out so saves a lot
We limit our meat consumption greatly abd portion size...veggies and rice or pasta is crazy cheap
We limit our milk and dairy
Get groceries every two days from our small local grocer, they always put stuff on sale so I am an opportunist
Costco for my peanut butter (2kg @ $7) and my Jasmine Rice 20kg at like $18 , toilet paper and granola bars.

We don't ever feel like we are going without and we don't restrict ourselves. With eating out the tea or water only and no deserts keeps costs way down and you still get enjoyment of eating out in a social setting.

Could probably cut our budget some but it works for us and we aren't wasteful.

Lews Therin

• CMTO 2023 Attendees
  • Magnum Stache
  • Fee-only Financial Planner
« Reply #94 on: October 17, 2017, 07:30:46 AM »
I'm going to wreck the curve:
Average 100$ a month on food, but that's because I only follow specials for Freshco-FoodBasics-No Frills.
I'll go to fancy stores (Loblaws, Metro) only to take advantage of the loss leaders (Chicken at 1$/Lb, hell yes I'm going to buy it all).

I have incredibly simple meals, breakfast with oats/chocolate milk and whatever fruit was on the best sale that week, lunch and supper are batch meals of meat/potatoes,rice or some type of pasta/salade with some shredded meat on top.

I've found that by cutting out most of the "other" things, each time I go to the store (weekly) it's only about 20$. Or less.

Nangirl17

• Stubble
« Reply #95 on: October 19, 2017, 10:25:18 AM »
$479 average per month for 2 adults and 1 child.

My dh is 6'4 and expends ++calories biking, and I swear he has a hollow leg. He can eat a whole box of cereal in a day *between meals* (thankfully, he is content to eat cheap stuff and lots and lots of oats!). I'm also tall (6'0) and compared to my coworkers I eat a lot. (my BMI is appropriate!)

We shop mostly at Superstore because they price match, but we are close to lots of grocery stores, so catch loss leaders frequently. We also try to cook a lot in season, to catch the beets that are 17c/lb in the fall etc!

MBot

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #96 on: October 22, 2017, 08:09:11 PM »
I'm going to wreck the curve:
Average 100$ a month on food, but that's because I only follow specials for Freshco-FoodBasics-No Frills.
I'll go to fancy stores (Loblaws, Metro) only to take advantage of the loss leaders (Chicken at 1$/Lb, hell yes I'm going to buy it all).

I have incredibly simple meals, breakfast with oats/chocolate milk and whatever fruit was on the best sale that week, lunch and supper are batch meals of meat/potatoes,rice or some type of pasta/salade with some shredded meat on top.

I've found that by cutting out most of the "other" things, each time I go to the store (weekly) it's only about 20$. Or less.

Nah this is pretty close to what I said. I'm really glad to see someone else with it.

With "lifestyle creep" a child and a boarder living with us my initial answer (first page) was $280-$340 a month for 3 adults and an infant, and that we shop almost exclusively at Food Basics.

Now that the boarder is (recently) gone I think $240/month ($60/weekly) is doable and I'm willing to push it to $300 a month without much guilt. Small luxuries like a teaspoon of chia in my kid's oatmeal every day mean easier diaper cleanup. (flax or similar doesn't work as great). Lots of veggies, farmers market stuff, the occasional artisan loaf of bread -- but all on a background of rice, potatoes, pasta, veggies, and smaller portions of meat (1/4 lb each). Vegetarian once or twice a week, but it's not necessarily cheaper to buy a brick of tofu than chicken.

I think we could keep it to $200 with the three of us, but I'm ok with the "lifestyle creep" that's happened up to a little more. But I cannot imagine spending more than that $240-$300 range.

We used to do $100/month for 2 adults, but that was poverty/necessity and didn't include enough vegetables.

I don't count coffees or occasional restaurant meals out in that, but they're really occasional -- e.g. on Fridays I commute to one workplace, but go into a cafe with Internet and do a couple hours of side gig work before I start at the other workplace. That's my personal spending money/choice.

Or if we decide to go to a restaurant we're invited to that's not a common occurrence -- it would replace a meal we'd already planned for in the grocery budget. So we're not saving money on groceries by going out or failing to buy food for at-home meals.

elaine amj

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #97 on: October 23, 2017, 02:04:43 PM »
Wow, it seems that I have a lot of room for improvement! I'm going to set a 10% reduction goal for next month and attempt some actual meal planning.
That's awesome! And meal planning makes a massive difference :)

Another thing that works for me is to have an idea in your head the max u will spend on certain items and only buy it if it is that price or less. E.g. I pretty much only buy meat if it is under $1.99/lb. We haven't purchased beef (other than ground beef) for over a year because of this. I like ordering beef when I eat out lol.