Poll

Do you like to camp?

I like to camp any chance I can get.
188 (42.5%)
I like to camp, but only very occasionally.
181 (41%)
I don't like to camp, but I'll go with friends or family that wants to.
39 (8.8%)
I don't like to camp and I refuse to ever go.
34 (7.7%)

Total Members Voted: 438

Author Topic: Camping...why or why not?  (Read 27420 times)

marble_faun

• Pencil Stache
Re: Camping...why or why not?
« Reply #100 on: July 06, 2018, 12:01:44 AM »
Love camping!  Though I've only done it in the context of multi-day backpacking hikes. (Have never been car camping.)

There's something perfect about the simplicity of it. Water, food, shelter. All other worries of life fade to the background as you trek from Point A to Point B.  And once you arrive, it's all about the scenic view, the campfire, and maybe playing cards.  No computers, no phones beeping. It's a total mental reset that puts you in a contemplative frame of mind.

Would love to go out more!

havregryn

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #101 on: July 06, 2018, 04:51:35 AM »
We're actually contemplating going camping near the beach next weekend with some friends.  Only problem is that we don't own a tent so we'll have to buy one.  Here in Europe, camping is completely different from the US and many other places though.  Europe is really crowded and there is very little wilderness left so when you go camping it's on an established campground with lots of other people close by.  The upside is that even when you're hiking you can usually stop off for a nice meal and a decent cup of coffee.  The downside is the same - you're not really away from civilization no matter how far you hike.
The Norwegian Department for Nature defines wilderness as 5 km (straight line) from human interference. We have 37 000 km2 of the stuff, and I guess Sweden and Finland are quite similar. Most of Iceland is also pretty wild. In Northern Europe you can hike for a long time without meeting people or anything resembling civilization. (Some people claim the civilization ends just north of Oslo).

On our way to the uk we drove through Germany and the Netherlands, and I agree that the camping places there were more like small cities than wilderness.

Funny, people who like camping will sleep in a tent on the ground. Leave home with a comfy bed, microwave, heat or ac, clean bathroom a freezer full of food but would they leave their cell phone home or at the very least turn it off unless needed for an emergency?

I'm in Italy.  I guess I should have said "this being the non-Scandinavian part of Europe..."  I find both the beach and camping here total culture shock being from the US originally.  People everywhere here.  There is some untouched nature in places like Abruzzo and the Dolomites but you have to hike quite a long way to get away from people, roads, little houses (rifugi), cell phone signals etc.

Or you could just have said “Italy”. Sorry, but this is one of my pet peeves. Europe is not a country, or a union of countries (although many of the countries choose to cooperate through the EU). For us in the north, Italian culture is probably more foreign than Canadian, or Midwest USA. The same goes for Germans and Greek, Polish and Portuguese. 

There are wilderness areas scattered around most of Europe, not just the north: https://goo.gl/images/MwhsSE

(And since Denmark has almost nothing, while Finland has a lot, fennoscandia would be more correct than Scandinavia /nitpicking).

To be honest this map seems more red to me than green, except in the north?

It may also really depend on your definition of wilderness, to me 5km from human interference is not really wilderness. It takes an hour to walk 5km at a brisk pace, so I would agree with Hula Hoop that this really doesn't make "far from civilisation". To me wilderness is somewhere where you need skills to survive or you will never get out alive, a place where you will come across a human settlement within a few hours no matter which way you walk is not really that wild to me.
And I say this as someone who would never ever go camping, haha, I am right now planning a camping trip for my 4.5 year old son in the 100m radius from my inlaws' summer cottage (in Sweden) as that is as far into the "wilderness" as I am willing to go lol.

Hula Hoop

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #102 on: July 06, 2018, 06:49:30 AM »
hav - I feel the same.  I see that in the country where I live, Italy, there are only a few little spashes of green in the far north of the country where the high mountains make farming difficult.  Don't get me wrong - one of the charms of Italy - and many other parts of Europe - is how tamed the nature is.  As I said, the hill towns and ancient ruins here are beautiful and it's nice to be able to go for a hike and then drop off at a restaurant for a delicious meal and local wine.  But sometimes I crave wilderness and that is just not available here.  I think it's OK to be home sick once in a while.  I miss certain things about my home country and this is one of them.
« Last Edit: July 06, 2018, 07:51:21 AM by Hula Hoop »

havregryn

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #103 on: July 06, 2018, 07:18:15 AM »
I hate to add a morbid touch to this debate, but the reason why it caught my attention was that a few years ago I read about two Dutch girls who disappeared in the wilderness of Panama ( their remains were found much later), it was a captivating read all together but what sort of stuck with me was how some survival expert said that the girls were probably too naive and had no idea how dangerous the rainforest actually was as their idea of hiking was created in a setting where you can really never stray too far from civilisation.
So essentially, everything they did was exactly the wrong thing to do and it got them killed.
I have zero personal experience with wilderness, haha, real or vanilla, I am terrified of it. So I love Europe for it.

Linea_Norway

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #104 on: July 06, 2018, 07:38:22 AM »
I hate to add a morbid touch to this debate, but the reason why it caught my attention was that a few years ago I read about two Dutch girls who disappeared in the wilderness of Panama ( their remains were found much later), it was a captivating read all together but what sort of stuck with me was how some survival expert said that the girls were probably too naive and had no idea how dangerous the rainforest actually was as their idea of hiking was created in a setting where you can really never stray too far from civilisation.
So essentially, everything they did was exactly the wrong thing to do and it got them killed.
I have zero personal experience with wilderness, haha, real or vanilla, I am terrified of it. So I love Europe for it.

It is indeed a bit naief to go on a long hike in a very unfamiliar type of terrain without gradually building up some experience in it. And I think it is also a good habit to read survival handbooks from time to time. Maybe if something ever happens, you'll remember some of the advice in the book and it can save your life.

Hula Hoop

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #105 on: July 06, 2018, 07:50:28 AM »

From what I've heard this happens quite often to Europeans travelling in Australia too.  They just don't get the emptiness of Australia and don't know how to respect it.

COEE

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #106 on: July 07, 2018, 07:42:18 AM »
We enjoy camping.  We mostly car camp... always have.  Sometimes we do disbursed camping if I'm feeling particularly cheep.  We just got back from 2 nights at Mt. Rushmore KOA for 4th of July.  We had a blast!  Water slides, swimming pools, beer, stars, all you can eat pancakes, and 3 blissful days of not checking the MMM forums every hour.  What could be better?

We go out 3-4 times a year or about once a month.  We mostly camp within our home state (CO) on a whim within a couple hours of the house.  We actually thought ahead this year and booked a couple days at Mt. Rushmore and a couple days at the Great Sand Dunes NP.

COEE

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #107 on: July 07, 2018, 08:44:41 AM »

It is indeed a bit naief to go on a long hike in a very unfamiliar type of terrain without gradually building up some experience in it. And I think it is also a good habit to read survival handbooks from time to time. Maybe if something ever happens, you'll remember some of the advice in the book and it can save your life.

I had a coworker that had years of experience in the mountains get lost while she was hiking and eventually die.  She also had some medical conditions that we believe played a contributing role as well - but nobody knows for sure.  What we do know is she was supposed to go around the mountain but made a wrong turn after she split up from her group as the others wanted to return to the camp site.

Moral of the story - never split up from your group.

Always carry a good hatchet, flint/lighter, compass, and water filter.  With these things, you will probably survive just about any scenario on your own.  If you also carry a small mirror and whistle, you will probably survive any rescue situation.  The hatchet is heavy (or can be), but the rest is lightweight and doesn't take much space it's worth having just in case.  I carry a whistle when I ski also.  You never know when it will save your life.

There's a story of a guy hiking alone out here and he had to amputate his own hand to get out after getting it stuck between a couple rocks.  https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Aron_Ralston

I could go on.  Weird things happen in the high country.

The Fake Cheap

• Bristles
« Reply #108 on: July 07, 2018, 12:05:54 PM »
Just want to share and say that my wife and I were occasional campers, and have recently got back into it since our son is now a good age for it (5).  My wife had kind of been pushing for us to get a trailer, which would also mean that we would have to buy something to pull the trailer.  Since I have a bit of financial sense, I was against this.  So then my wife insisted that we get new camping equipment.  I was reluctant to go this route, since I didn't feel it would increase the enjoyment of our camping experience.  Eventually I agreed, and we spent about $300 on a new tent, new air mattress, and a new gazebo (used sales and coupons where possible).  All this to say that the new equipment really has made a difference, it is basically luxurious, and we intend to spend a lot of nights camping this summer.  So maybe some new equipment might help anyone on the fence get into camping more.

Bracken_Joy

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #109 on: July 07, 2018, 12:48:09 PM »
Just want to share and say that my wife and I were occasional campers, and have recently got back into it since our son is now a good age for it (5).  My wife had kind of been pushing for us to get a trailer, which would also mean that we would have to buy something to pull the trailer.  Since I have a bit of financial sense, I was against this.  So then my wife insisted that we get new camping equipment.  I was reluctant to go this route, since I didn't feel it would increase the enjoyment of our camping experience.  Eventually I agreed, and we spent about $300 on a new tent, new air mattress, and a new gazebo (used sales and coupons where possible).  All this to say that the new equipment really has made a difference, it is basically luxurious, and we intend to spend a lot of nights camping this summer.  So maybe some new equipment might help anyone on the fence get into camping more.

Making sure you can stay warm and dry, and have a relatively clean/bug free place to retreat to, makes a huge difference when falling in love with camping. I'm normally all about trying a hobby with the cheapest adequate gear first (like cooking!), but camping 'adequate' can be a more expensive threshold, depending on where you camp.

Linea_Norway

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #110 on: July 07, 2018, 02:06:10 PM »

Making sure you can stay warm and dry, and have a relatively clean/bug free place to retreat to, makes a huge difference when falling in love with camping. I'm normally all about trying a hobby with the cheapest adequate gear first (like cooking!), but camping 'adequate' can be a more expensive threshold, depending on where you camp.

It might have been a very good investment for making your wife more enthusiastic about camping. Some people prefer glamping.

austin944

• Stubble
« Reply #111 on: July 07, 2018, 02:14:33 PM »
How do you all eat healthy and avoid diarrhea while camping?  I tend to get the "runs" after two days of car camping.  I feel I need to buy food that does not require refrigeration, so that means fresh and dried fruit, oatmeal, whole wheat bagels, packaged processed foods like Mac and Cheese, Instant Potatoes, energy bars, and some canned goods like Beefaroni.  I would never eat the latter kind of processed/junk/canned food at home, but feel I have no choice when camping.

It also feels like I need a much more calorie dense diet than normal, since I am hiking and climbing a lot more, and camp food still leaves me feeling hungry, even when I am getting 3000+ calories/day and snacking non-stop during the day.   Lately I have been bringing a big bag of potato chips, and the fat in the chips seems to alleviate the hunger issue.

edit: I fly into the closest city of my camping destination and rent a car, so I don't try to bring a lot of camping equipment or food along.  Whatever I bring usually fits into one large bag + small backpack.
« Last Edit: July 07, 2018, 10:25:52 PM by austin944 »

Bracken_Joy

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #112 on: July 07, 2018, 03:07:33 PM »
How do you all eat healthy and avoid diarrhea while camping?  I tend to get the "runs" after two days of car camping.  I feel I need to buy food that does not require refrigeration, so that means fresh and dried fruit, oatmeal, whole wheat bagels, packaged processed foods like Mac and Cheese, Instant Potatoes, energy bars, and some canned goods like Beefaroni.  I would never eat the latter kind of processed/junk/canned food at home, but feel I have no choice when camping.

It also feels like I need a much more calorie dense diet than normal, since I am hiking and climbing a lot more, and camp food still leaves me feeling hungry, even when I am getting 3000+ calories/day and snacking non-stop during the day.   Lately I have been bringing a big bag of potato chips, and the fat in the chips seems to alleviate the hunger issue.

We eat like we normally do. You can take coolers if you're car camping. I'll usually prep a big batch of something like chili, and we bring chips and salsa and fruits and veggies that are good with no or minimal prep (apples, bananas, cucumbers). Chili is versatile, you can heat it and eat it, you can bring beef or hot dogs and make chili dogs, you can eat it with chips like nachos- all sorts of ways to mix it up.

So that's my answer: coolers and a camp stove. It's harder if you're backpacking. But yeah, if you're car camping, just eat real food!

OtherJen

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #113 on: July 07, 2018, 03:16:10 PM »

We definitely don’t do a lot of processed food; husband reacts badly to the preservatives, and I have celiac disease. We plan our meals carefully and pack a cooler. Eggs and bacon or yogurt with granola for breakfast, sandwiches with chips and raw cut veggies for lunch, meat or fish cooked over the campfire with salad or veggies cooked in foil packets and potatoes or sweet potatoes cooked in the fire. Snacks are chips, nuts, hardier fresh fruit (e.g., apples and navel oranges), beef jerky, maybe Kind or Lara bars (these don’t go in the cooler). Ice gets replenished every couple of days.

lentil

• Stubble
« Reply #114 on: July 07, 2018, 05:45:51 PM »

My camp cooking changed dramatically once I started bringing a cooler in the car. As previous posters wrote, real food suddenly becomes possible, and we can even have a pre-dinner salad (which is far more similar to our at-home diet!), and snacks like hard boiled eggs. When we have the time, we cook fancy things like tacos for dinner (saute some veggies in olive oil, add spices and a can of black beans, serve in tortillas topped with cheese, avocado, and a squeeze of lime). If very hungry, we heat up boxed/canned soups for a first course, possibly adding some cheese or other toppings. Plus plenty of snacks like apples, carrots, and other familiar foods.

I also make my own meals at home, so I can have less-processed versions of quick-cook meals. Rice noodles + peanut butter + soy sauce + onions instead of packaged ramen, for instance. Or I take dehydrated veggies, spices, a bouillon cube, and some split red lentils (or dehydrated beans, whatever cooks the fastest), and I've got quick-cook lentil soup that is easier on my digestive system than most instant soups I can find in a store. Each one goes into a ziplock or other container, labelled, and I've got backpacking or car camping meals that work for me.

Even when backpacking, I've found that less-processed food works better for me. Olive oil is a great source of fat & extra calories, and has a better weight/calorie ratio than most foods -- just add some to whatever's for dinner. Dehydrated or freeze-dried veggies can get added to any cooked meal (again, this makes our on-trail eating more similar to our at-home eating, so it seems to help keep my stomach happier). I stay away from highly processed energy bars, which invariably upset my stomach. Snickers work okay for me, but it might also make sense to experiment with different nut bars -- I've found that the Kind-brand "nuts & spice" bars are pretty easy on my stomach, and have enough calories to make a pretty decent trail breakfast.

Figuring out nutrition for periodic "high energy output" times takes practice, I think. Generally speaking, I find it helps to eat small-but-frequent snacks before I get hungry, rather than waiting for calorie deficit mode to wake my insatiable hiker hunger. There are times when some degree of calorie deficit is just unavoidable, but a short car-camping trip should allow you plenty of opportunities to eat!

Oh, and as for the original poster's questions, I am in the fond of camping group. I think camping is one of those things that works best in utterly simplified mode (though as noted above, over the years I have expanded my personal comforts to the point where I bring a cooler when car camping, and also a camp chair and a few other niceties), because once you figure out your basic routines, it's not logistically complicated at all. But everyone should do what makes them happy, of course. I sleep about as well in a tent as in my bed at home, so it's basically just a home where I can wake up to new views each morning.

BZB

• Bristles
« Reply #115 on: July 07, 2018, 07:50:36 PM »
This thread makes me want to get back into camping again. I used to go back country camping but in the past few years I have only done family style camp outs with the Cub Scouts - fun, but not exactly relaxing.

COEE

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #116 on: July 07, 2018, 09:52:43 PM »

We eat like we normally do.  Get a decent sized cooler and a camp stove.  Also, go to the thrift store and get some old silverware and plates that aren't glass.

Our last trip we had pancakes*, coffee, sloppy joes, watermelon, tacos, potato chips, cheetos, smores, and hotdogs.  All pretty normal stuff for our house.  We try to stay away from soft drinks when we camp.  Water is preferred - this is really important when in the elements all day long.  I will usually have a beer or two as well each day - I am on vacation!  Nuts can be a great source of fat as well without the chip hangover.

I'm not aware of anyone getting the squirts on our trip.

*The camp we stayed at made the morning pancakes for a small fee.

OmahaSteph

• Pencil Stache
    • Journal: The Slow Lane to FIRE
« Reply #117 on: July 09, 2018, 11:22:49 AM »
My son's a Boy Scout and has done a good deal of camping, plus my husband camped while in the Army. I've never been, but I really like the idea of heading west on a road trip to Yellowstone and back, camping when we can to save money, and staying in a hotel/motel ever third night or so. I'm finding that the equipment is the major impediment. We've finally fully outfitted my son, but there are three more of us and I'm not sure I can justify the spend unless we take other trips, as well. Thinking all the way west to see the giant redwoods (and Grand Canyon) eventually.

lentil

• Stubble
« Reply #118 on: July 09, 2018, 01:33:17 PM »
My son's a Boy Scout and has done a good deal of camping, plus my husband camped while in the Army. I've never been, but I really like the idea of heading west on a road trip to Yellowstone and back, camping when we can to save money, and staying in a hotel/motel ever third night or so. I'm finding that the equipment is the major impediment. We've finally fully outfitted my son, but there are three more of us and I'm not sure I can justify the spend unless we take other trips, as well. Thinking all the way west to see the giant redwoods (and Grand Canyon) eventually.

I love long road trips through the west! Camping gear is definitely a worthwhile purchase for me, but I can see why a one-time trip might not justify the spend. Are there local places you might enjoy camping (like weekend trips to state parks, or other fun stuff closer to home)? Would camping enable your family to take more vacations, including those big trips westward? I'm just thinking about ways to get more use out of your potential gear!

We've had good luck borrowing some gear from friends/co-workers, especially things like camp chairs or cookware (sleeping bags may be a bit too personal for many to want to share). If you knew people to ask, that might be a good way to get some gear for a weekend, just to try a short family camping trip and see what you think. Or renting might also be an option for a short trip, and give you some idea of what your basic gear list would entail.

I started gathering my own gear a long time ago, but it was almost all second-hand to start. Some of it was hand-me-downs from family/friends, but I also found cheap stuff at garage sales. These days, I think you can also find quite a bit of gear on Craigslist. Before buying anything used though, make sure you test it thoroughly -- set tents up and make sure all the zippers open, set the camp stove up and make sure it lights, etc.. With some care, you can find used gear that is functional and enables you to camp comfortably.

For shopping new, Sierra Trading Post has decent quality gear for pretty cheap (comparatively speaking). FWIW, my camping philosophy is that it works well to start out with the bare minimum and then slowly add "comfort" items as you figure out what you need, versus over-indulging in stuff that you think all campers need. I mean, I only started bringing a cooler about 5 years ago (after 15-20 years of car camping), which means that fancy fresh food is still a luxurious novelty! But for sure, figure out your own needs/preferences.

Lastly, if you compare the cost of a Yellowstone park lodge room/cabin with a tent camping spot, I think camping gear suddenly seems like a financially sound investment ;-)

austin944

• Stubble
« Reply #119 on: July 09, 2018, 01:58:42 PM »
I started out day-hiking before I bought a lot of camping gear.  Once I was hooked on hiking then it was much easier to justify the cost of a quality tent/sleeping bag, cooking gear, and larger pack.  The gear for day-hiking can be re-purposed for use at home, if hiking turns out not to be your thing.  Some national parks (like Glacier) have hotels/motels near the trail-heads, so camping or driving long distances to the trail head is not required.
« Last Edit: July 09, 2018, 02:00:22 PM by austin944 »

tyrannostache

• Bristles
« Reply #120 on: July 09, 2018, 03:23:02 PM »

I had a coworker that had years of experience in the mountains get lost while she was hiking and eventually die.  She also had some medical conditions that we believe played a contributing role as well - but nobody knows for sure.  What we do know is she was supposed to go around the mountain but made a wrong turn after she split up from her group as the others wanted to return to the camp site.

[...]

There's a story of a guy hiking alone out here and he had to amputate his own hand to get out after getting it stuck between a couple rocks.  https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Aron_Ralston

I could go on.  Weird things happen in the high country.

And in the flat country, too. Al of this reminds me of the story of an experienced canoe guide who got lost in the Boundary Waters of northern MN when he got separated from the boy scout troop he was leading. He hiked a little ways away from the lakeshore looking for an elusive portage, then fell and hit his head on a rock. In a post-concussion panic, he ran blindly into the woods. He was rescued after a few weeks--he was fortunate to be a young guy with great survival skills who happened to have a knife in his pocket when he fell. All of his other gear was in the canoe. The woods are incredibly dense, and the terrain is flat and boggy. It's really easy to lose your bearings. Heck, my dad once got lost looking for a pit toilet near a BWCA campsite.

mak1277

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #121 on: July 11, 2018, 01:05:57 PM »

For me, solo is the best way to backpack.

Laserjet3051

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #122 on: July 11, 2018, 01:35:38 PM »

I've done a lot of solo backpacking over the years; I love it! Especially that feeling I get at sundown way out in the middle of nowhere as I realize I am the only human around for a quite a distance in any direction. But I do realize that solo brings on tremendous additional risk.

mak1277

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #123 on: July 11, 2018, 01:37:44 PM »

I've done a lot of solo backpacking over the years; I love it! Especially that feeling I get at sundown way out in the middle of nowhere as I realize I am the only human around for a quite a distance in any direction. But I do realize that solo brings on tremendous additional risk.

agree on all counts.

wbranch

• Stubble
« Reply #124 on: July 12, 2018, 09:29:04 AM »

I haven't backpacked on my own, but do some full day off-trail hikes in mountain areas. When I am a couple miles from forest roads sometimes I will have a feeling rush over me about being in the middle of nowhere and nobody finding me if something were to happen. Probably best described as a mix of adrenaline and anxiety. Sometimes it hits when I come across a set of wolf, bear, or lion tracks and/or scat. Overall, I kind of love the feeling and look forward to getting back out in those areas again.

I usually have multiple maps, GPS apps on my phone with battery pack backup, and I also have an Inreach communicator with SOS button. Also, first aid kit, fire making supplies, extra food and clothes if an overnight stay is required.

COEE

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #125 on: July 12, 2018, 08:50:14 PM »

agree on all counts.

If you're okay with the additional risk and nobody depends on you for their survival and/or well being (kids, spouse, elderly parents)... well then be my guest.

accolay

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #126 on: August 26, 2018, 10:40:44 PM »

But is it really "tremendous additional risk"? There's more risk, but how much more?

Linea_Norway

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #127 on: August 27, 2018, 12:16:40 AM »

But is it really "tremendous additional risk"? There's more risk, but how much more?

With 2 people, one can take care for the other when something happens. Or leave the wounded and get help. Alone, you can become immobile and become dependent on someone else to pass buy, or an airplane spotting your signals.

You can decrease the danger of being alone by carrying a phone with good coverage, like a satellite phone (expensive) or a Spot device.

ice_beard

• Bristles
« Reply #128 on: August 27, 2018, 06:21:39 AM »
I've camped all my life.  My parents took us car camping in Northern Indiana a lot when we were kids.  Campfire cooked meals are among my favorites.  As I've gotten older, I have learned to splurge on gear a bit, primarily sleeping gar.  Sleeping comfortably makes all the difference in the world.  Good pads and a sleeping bag are totally worth it. 
My wife and I car camp semi regularly but more so in the fall/spring when sites are easier to get in California. 

I prefer to go backpacking and this is why I camp/backpack....
High Sierra a few weeks ago....

Barely saw any people, fished when we wanted to, cold lake water "baths" and endless stunning landscapes.  It's not easy and it's not for everyone but I'm glad I was turned onto wilderness experiences as a young adult.  They are cheap too.  This was 6 days, 5 nights and the cost was gas and food.  Overnight permits are free. 

Has anyone mentioned thunderstorms in a tent?  They are awesome given you picked a good spot (one that won't flood) and you've got a good tent.
« Last Edit: August 27, 2018, 06:24:45 AM by ice_beard »

Linea_Norway

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #129 on: August 27, 2018, 06:36:17 AM »
I've camped all my life.  My parents took us car camping in Northern Indiana a lot when we were kids.  Campfire cooked meals are among my favorites.  As I've gotten older, I have learned to splurge on gear a bit, primarily sleeping gar.  Sleeping comfortably makes all the difference in the world.  Good pads and a sleeping bag are totally worth it. 
My wife and I car camp semi regularly but more so in the fall/spring when sites are easier to get in California. 

I prefer to go backpacking and this is why I camp/backpack....
High Sierra a few weeks ago....

<photo'>

Barely saw any people, fished when we wanted to, cold lake water "baths" and endless stunning landscapes.  It's not easy and it's not for everyone but I'm glad I was turned onto wilderness experiences as a young adult.  They are cheap too.  This was 6 days, 5 nights and the cost was gas and food.  Overnight permits are free. 

Has anyone mentioned thunderstorms in a tent?  They are awesome given you picked a good spot (one that won't flood) and you've got a good tent.

Great pictures. This is why I like camping in the wilderness, too.

Thunderstorms are scary as hell, but so far it has always gone well.

mbl

• Bristles
« Reply #130 on: August 27, 2018, 07:35:02 AM »
Just got back from camping/kayaking in the Adirondacks.
Beautiful.......

Cookie78

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #131 on: August 27, 2018, 07:43:51 AM »

I experienced the loudest thunderstorm I've ever been in this June in a tent. It was constant rolling booming thunder (didn't even hear the tree fall down across our camp) and it was amazing. I was a little worried my terrified dog would freak out. She hadn't experienced many thunderstorms before. But she just picked up her head and listened for a bit as the storm rolled in, and then relaxed.

jscott2135

• Stubble
« Reply #132 on: August 27, 2018, 10:02:59 AM »
LOVED IT, I mean loved it when I was a kid.  I could have happily lived in a tent.  NOW that I am an adult I see why my parents were always crabby when we were camping, its not the same as the adult.  I have to shop, pack, load up, unload, set up, cook, clean, repack, unload and clean and put everything away.  It is now a chore.  We bought a used trailer, live in Oregon and have taken our kids to some amazing places, but do I enjoy it? Nope.  Still glad we're giving out littles the exposure though.

OtherJen

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #133 on: August 27, 2018, 10:21:10 AM »
LOVED IT, I mean loved it when I was a kid.  I could have happily lived in a tent.  NOW that I am an adult I see why my parents were always crabby when we were camping, its not the same as the adult.  I have to shop, pack, load up, unload, set up, cook, clean, repack, unload and clean and put everything away.  It is now a chore.  We bought a used trailer, live in Oregon and have taken our kids to some amazing places, but do I enjoy it? Nope.  Still glad we're giving out littles the exposure though.

My husband and I are campers and although we love it (even the prep work), I can almost guarantee that we would not do it if we had kids. We recently had houseguests with young kids, and it was an enormous hassle to keep the kids fed, rested, and happy in an unfamiliar house, even with four adults pitching in. I can only imagine the extra layer of stress from having to set up camp and deal with kids without the benefits of a house. You have my respect.

wbranch

• Stubble
« Reply #134 on: August 27, 2018, 11:26:04 AM »
We went camping with our rooftop tent in a nearby national forest area this past Saturday night.  We drove quite a ways on some national forest roads into a more remote area. Only saw one other vehicle on the road and did not see anyone else during the evening and the next morning when driving out for 15+ miles. We hiked on some old closed forest/fire roads and did some off trail hiking as well. Saw 7 different moose, 6 elk and a few deer. Colors were already changing at higher elevations. Hard to get that experience without camping.

I have been thinking/planning for risk lately as I plan to go back to this area for solo elk/deer hunting. Getting lost is always a concern when off trail. While there are almost always roads within 2 miles, and I would almost always stay within 3/4 mile of a road the terrain is extremely rugged and thickly forested. Elevation change is 3,500 ft over 3-4 miles. The canyons get a ton of moisture and have temperate rainforest plants and it easy to get turned around, can't see the sun, etc. I look at quite a few maps beforehand and can do a pretty good job memorizing terrain/landmarks. I also have multiple electronic and paper maps with me. In the end a person can just follow creeks out to roads in most of the areas I spend time in. 

I feel that most of the danger comes from a fall. A "minor" one would be a  twisted ankle or blown out knee where I can't get out on my own. I have a Inreach GPS with a SOS button for that. Worse yet would be a fall where head hits a rock, or fall down a cliff and I am unconscious or worse. Garmin has a website where my location can be requested by my wife or other family member. I can also check-in with text messages. 

Killing an animal and quartering/boning out is risky. Have to be careful working with sharp knives and a heavy animal like an elk. I have talked to people that had severe cuts, including a sharp knife end up in their thigh when cutting through a tough hide or glancing of a bone. I have taken first aid classes and have a first aid kit. Packing the meat out in steep terrain leads to more risk regarding injury and exhaustion. Have to be careful not to overdo it.

Bears, mountain lions and wolves are fairly low down the list, but when hunting you pretty much have to break all of the rules regarding dealing with large predators. I will be sneaking through the woods trying to sound like an elk. Which will sound like a meal to most of these predators. It gets more dangerous once an animal is down and the smell of blood will be in the air.

It would be better if I had somebody to go with. But it has never been easy finding someone whose interests align. My wife will come with on day trips and has become more comfortable off trail and has a growing interest. But I do not want to push it too much.

Hula Hoop

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #135 on: August 27, 2018, 12:41:03 PM »
What are people's recommendations for improving sleep while camping?  I recently bought a thermarest and it improved my sleep a little bit but I still tossed and turned a lot.  Is there another type of camping mattress that is more comfortable?

mm1970

• Senior Mustachian
« Reply #136 on: August 27, 2018, 01:29:58 PM »
What are people's recommendations for improving sleep while camping?  I recently bought a thermarest and it improved my sleep a little bit but I still tossed and turned a lot.  Is there another type of camping mattress that is more comfortable?
I found that camping cots are very helpful.  I'm in my late 40's - I still get a bit of a sore back from time to time even with the cot.

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B001LF3G7M/ref=oh_aui_detailpage_o02_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1

We just got back from 2 days of "camping lite" - we have a small car with a Thule box.  Full on camping (like in Joshua Tree NP with no running water), requires the car and the box to be literally stuffed to the gills.

This time - we weren't so much in the wilderness.  For car camping, it was a state park and you were pretty close to the people next door.  Positives and negatives to that - sometimes I just want to be tucked away in the trees with some space away from others, and I'm ok with a longer walk to the bathroom.  I find Grand Canyon campsites to be nice this way.

As we were close to town, we did not pack any cooking gear.  We ate cold food for breakfast and lunch (including iced coffee/ aka leftover coffee and iced tea).  Muffins, fruit, crackers, cheese, veggies, hummus.  We went out for dinner both nights.  We washed a few dishes twice in cold soapy water.  Not taking the cooking stove, pots and pans, and extra food meant we had extra space in the car.

One of my coworkers griped that not cooking isn't "real camping", but you have to be realistic with kids.  I used to like car camping with one kid - yes, it seemed like most of the "work" was cooking - prep, heat the fire or stove, cook, eat, clean up.  Repeat 3x a day.  But as there is nothing else to "do" (except explore and hike), it's no big deal.  When we added the second kid, it got to be a PITA to get everything going in the morning.  Everyone was starving.  So we moved to already prepared foods with no wait.  No need to cook eggs, or wait for water to boil for oatmeal.  Here's a muffin.

It seemed to be a good balance that kept everyone happy.  I liked being away, being able to walk or hike in the daytime, sleeping outdoors.  Spouse liked that he wasn't shoe-horning everything into the box and car.  Kids liked going out for pizza and Mexican and playing cards.  "We hate camping." but it wasn't so bad.

If only we hadn't forgotten the head lamps, lamps, and flashnights.  No biggie, we went to bed at 8:30 when it got dark, and when everyone else was just firing up their campfires.  No, we didn't light a fire either.

bognish

• Bristles
« Reply #137 on: August 27, 2018, 01:36:10 PM »
If I am car camping with the wife and kids we leave most of the fancy REI backpacking gear at home. We sleep on egg crate foam pad from Home depot cut to fit the bottom of the tent. Layer sheets, blankets, pillows from the linen closet. Just like sleeping in bed at home, no sliding off the thermarest or getting claustrophobic in a nylon cocoon.

For food we end up with tuna or chicken pouches on crackers for lunch along with the stuff already mentioned.

Hula Hoop

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #138 on: August 27, 2018, 01:42:03 PM »
mm1970 - unfortunately, cots wouldn't work for me as we don't have a car so we take the train and hike to camping spots.  Last camping trip I did was beach camping with my kids and my best friend and her kids.  We carried everything on our backs on the train and then a long walk including food for 3 days - although we did cheat a bit by eating pizza at a beach restaurant every night and buying fresh fruit and veg from a local farmer who came by with a van every day full of yummy local fruit and veg for sale.  Also, this being Italy, there was a coffee bar where we got espresso in the morning.

Anyway, my friend had a blow up mattress and I had a thermarest and I think I slept better than she did.

COEE

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #139 on: August 27, 2018, 08:14:17 PM »
So this last time we went camping we spent 3 nights car camping in a dispersed area about an hour from the Great Sand Dunes.  We literally saw two other groups of people while we were camping.  One couple we talked to was scouting for deer season, and the other just drove by with a load of lumber - so they were working.  4 days and 3 nights of restful bliss alone - a rare occurrence in CO.

On the last night of our stay my wife woke me up saying she heard something walking up the path to our camp.  It was a strange night in the high country.  Not a breath of wind.  I'm guessing she did hear something, but it was probably a skunk or a raccoon or something.  At this point of course, I started driving myself crazy with "what-if's".  On a night like this you can easily psych your mind into thinking the worst - bears, trouble makers, rabid skunks, etc.  This night was unlike any night we've experienced in the high country.  Just eerie quiet.  You could hear everything - which wasn't much.  But I believe my wife heard something... but I haven't a clue what - she says footsteps though.

I'll admit that we've had our fair share of strange things happen in the high country but have generally felt safe, but not this night.  We were both pretty scared.  We are a 20 minute drive from cellphone range, 6 miles from any civilization (pretty close actually), and are near a turquoise mine where we know the past lessees are pretty protective of the area (according to the couple that we talked to that were scouting for deer).  We were much more concerned about unwanted human interaction than animal interaction.

This is the first time that we've seriously considered carrying with us in the high country where we will potentially be alone or nearly alone.  We just got freaked out and are starting to think "It's better to have it and not need it than need it and not have it."  Do any of you come prepared to the back country?

If the OP thinks this is too far off topic, I'd be glad to post separately.

EnjoyIt

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #140 on: August 27, 2018, 11:04:35 PM »
I love camping as does many of my guy friends.  Our wives do not.  We compromise on a cabin every so often with a few friends.  Not the same but better than nothing.

mm1970

• Senior Mustachian
« Reply #141 on: August 28, 2018, 01:57:33 PM »
I love camping as does many of my guy friends.  Our wives do not.  We compromise on a cabin every so often with a few friends.  Not the same but better than nothing.
I have a few coworkers and former coworkers who get together and go on 2-4 day backpacking trips together.  Less often now that many of them have children.

austin944

• Stubble
« Reply #142 on: August 28, 2018, 05:27:15 PM »
This is the first time that we've seriously considered carrying with us in the high country where we will potentially be alone or nearly alone.  We just got freaked out and are starting to think "It's better to have it and not need it than need it and not have it."  Do any of you come prepared to the back country?

I carry bear spray in Grizzly country, but IMO the threat of getting hurt is still pretty small compared to the dangers of civilization, like getting into an auto accident.  I once surprised a black bear on the trail from 10 ft. away, and it scampered away as soon as it saw me.  It's best to make noise to avoid that situation in the first place, which I did not.

I am more scared of my dumb decision-making and panicking than I am of the animals.  Too many times I have panicked while getting slightly lost or I unnecessarily put myself into danger due to my own bad decisions.  But I am still learning to keep a cool head and make better decisions.

COEE

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #143 on: August 28, 2018, 07:29:43 PM »

I carry bear spray in Grizzly country, but IMO the threat of getting hurt is still pretty small compared to the dangers of civilization, like getting into an auto accident.  I once surprised a black bear on the trail from 10 ft. away, and it scampered away as soon as it saw me.  It's best to make noise to avoid that situation in the first place, which I did not.

I am more scared of my dumb decision-making and panicking than I am of the animals.  Too many times I have panicked while getting slightly lost or I unnecessarily put myself into danger due to my own bad decisions.  But I am still learning to keep a cool head and make better decisions.

I'm not concerned about bears at all really - they generally leave humans alone.  Mountain lions scare me a bit, but they too generally leave humans alone as well.  Making noise is the best thing to scare both of them off.

My biggest concern is of the homosapian type.  Most people are cool, but occasionally you'll run into someone up to no good.

austin944

• Stubble
« Reply #144 on: August 29, 2018, 12:43:33 AM »
My biggest concern is of the homosapian type.  Most people are cool, but occasionally you'll run into someone up to no good.

Have you had specific problems with people while hiking/camping, or is this just a general fear of what could happen?

So far I've had no bad experiences with people on the trail or in the campgrounds.  I've left my $400 tent pitched out in plain view all day and left to go hiking, have met many people solo hiking, never had problems with my car getting broken into at remote trail-heads, and can't even remember a single rude camper.

My experience is not necessarily representative of the risks, but what I am trying to say is that bad people are the least of my concerns.
« Last Edit: August 29, 2018, 01:13:53 AM by austin944 »

Hula Hoop

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #145 on: August 29, 2018, 02:08:24 AM »
austin - are you male?  I'm a woman and have had some bad experiences hiking alone.  I probably would never do it again - just too risky.

Hula Hoop

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #146 on: August 29, 2018, 09:04:41 AM »
spartana - this is an unfortunate reality for women when we do anything alone.  Just look at the Mollie Tibbets case.  I've travelled extensively alone and I don't think I'm overly paranoid but due to several very bad experiences that could have been even worse I take a lot of precautions including not hiking alone in remote areas. 

Just Joe

• Walrus Stache
  • Teach me something.
« Reply #147 on: August 29, 2018, 09:41:24 AM »

I've carried a pistol off and on over the years. Most of the time not. I've had two occasions when it was possible I would need it - once was a bear right outside my tent (another camper in our group did not hang their 2 lbs of ground beef in a tree, bear only wanted the meat and then left), and once when a pack of coyotes walked right up close to our camp and howled, pretty bold by my measure. Neither time would it be safe to fire a round downrange b/c of fellow tent campers. Maybe straight up or straight down. Both times we just waited out the animals and they left.

No people problems but did return from a hike to find that everyone's car had been broken into but mine and one other.

mm1970

• Senior Mustachian
« Reply #148 on: August 29, 2018, 10:26:30 AM »
mm1970 - unfortunately, cots wouldn't work for me as we don't have a car so we take the train and hike to camping spots.  Last camping trip I did was beach camping with my kids and my best friend and her kids.  We carried everything on our backs on the train and then a long walk including food for 3 days - although we did cheat a bit by eating pizza at a beach restaurant every night and buying fresh fruit and veg from a local farmer who came by with a van every day full of yummy local fruit and veg for sale.  Also, this being Italy, there was a coffee bar where we got espresso in the morning.

Anyway, my friend had a blow up mattress and I had a thermarest and I think I slept better than she did.
Yes the cots aren't that big when rolled up, but I'd consider them to be too heavy to carry with everything else.

EnjoyIt

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #149 on: August 29, 2018, 01:36:27 PM »
austin - are you male?  I'm a woman and have had some bad experiences hiking alone.  I probably would never do it again - just too risky.

One of my friends hikes with a back pack and on the left arm is an open carry hand gun.  She never gets bothered. 

This strategy doesn't work everywhere due to laws.