Poll

Do you like to camp?

I like to camp any chance I can get.
188 (42.5%)
I like to camp, but only very occasionally.
181 (41%)
I don't like to camp, but I'll go with friends or family that wants to.
39 (8.8%)
I don't like to camp and I refuse to ever go.
34 (7.7%)

Total Members Voted: 438

Author Topic: Camping...why or why not?  (Read 27425 times)

undercover

• Pencil Stache
Camping...why or why not?
« on: June 23, 2018, 09:49:31 PM »
Just curious if you enjoy camping and why or why not.

I used to think I wanted to get into it mainly as a form of cheap travel. I have no interest in camping within any reasonable distance from where I live as I'd just rather sleep in a bed and keep my routine...but wondering how most of the forum feels about it. Just seems like a logistical nightmare with too many compromises. If I want nature I'll just drive and spend all day in it and then come back. I mean, why would I pay tons of money for an awesome place to live just to go sleep in a terribly uncomfortable "bed" where things want to eat all my food.

Steeze

• Handlebar Stache
Re: Camping...why or why not?
« Reply #1 on: June 23, 2018, 10:01:25 PM »
Personally, nothing is better than backpacking out for 2-3 days and camping in the wilderness. Minimal provisions and equipment. Prefer to hammock camp when possible. Camping solo is especially nice, being in the darkness and hearing a large animal walking nearby is awesomely terrifying. Thunderstorms, winter, you name it, it's all good.

Car camping.... meh, still a blast but not as great.

Syonyk

• Magnum Stache
    • Syonyk's Project Blog
« Reply #2 on: June 23, 2018, 11:05:31 PM »
Enjoy it, don't do it as much as I'd like with a 3 year old and a newborn (the 3 year old was just getting good at it when #2 showed up), plan to do a lot more of it in the future.

Right now, tent camping, but we do plan to pick up a good 5th wheel at some point for longer term camping.  Unless my inlaws convince me to get a motorhome.  It's tempting.  We plan to homeschool, and being able to tour the country on longer trips while going to places to learn about them is hugely appealing.

But tent camping, in the mountains, with good friends, good family, good beer, and good food?  Yeah, I'm all about that!

mxt0133

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #3 on: June 23, 2018, 11:57:51 PM »
We like camping to get away from the daily grind and civilization in general.  When the kids were small we did it mostly to go off-line, get my mind out of work and stop thinking about my to do list.  Now that the kids are a bit older we get to go on hikes and see truly breathtaking scenery that just doesn't come close to any picture or postcard.

We just got an RV so that we can do slow traveling instead of rushing to try and see everything within a few days.

We also pay tons of money to live in an awesome city, but a little variety doesn't hurt.  For me the change of environment helps me get out of my routine quicker.  When we do staycations I still have my home or work to do list in the back of my mind and I can't shut it off completely.  However, I'm working on mindfulness and meditation and might not need the change in environment to get centered/grounded/be present, if you know what i mean.  But we still love spending time in nature.

Zikoris

• Magnum Stache
  • Vancouverstachian
« Reply #4 on: June 24, 2018, 12:02:04 AM »
I enjoy it for sure, and go once a year with my dad. I love being in nature, waking up with the sunrise, and just unplugging and listening to birds and stuff. I also like the activities that we tend to do when we camp - hiking, kayaking, exploring, and campfires. I'd be down to go more often, but there are a few logistical issues:

1. I don't have a car, drivers license, or camping gear, so I'm completely dependent on other people to make it happen.
2. My partner hates camping with a passion, so it's not an option for any trips we do together, which is most of them.

Hula Hoop

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #5 on: June 24, 2018, 03:03:58 AM »
We're actually contemplating going camping near the beach next weekend with some friends.  Only problem is that we don't own a tent so we'll have to buy one.  Here in Europe, camping is completely different from the US and many other places though.  Europe is really crowded and there is very little wilderness left so when you go camping it's on an established campground with lots of other people close by.  The upside is that even when you're hiking you can usually stop off for a nice meal and a decent cup of coffee.  The downside is the same - you're not really away from civilization no matter how far you hike.

Anyway the beach camping is mainly because it's a last minute vacation and we're going to join some friends at the same place where they have rented an apartment for the week.  Unfortunately, there are no more apartments left so we have to camp. 

My kids are both in scouts which is much more traditional camping with a campfire, hiking, learning to track animals etc.

Roadrunner53

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #6 on: June 24, 2018, 04:26:35 AM »
Years ago I worked for this very upscale company and when people got married or went on vacations it was always to elegant resorts, Europe, islands or even Disney World. This woman I knew had gotten married late in life (40ish) for the first time. After she returned from her honeymoon I asked where she went. She told me 'camping'. OMG, I despise camping so that came as a total shock and I think my jaw dropped to the floor! LOL! My brain froze up and I think I stood there looking for words. I guess I finally said oh, that is nice. At that point myself, I had been going to the Caribbean for years on vacation.

My idea of camping would be a rock star RV with ac, heat, tv's, stereo system, king bed and adequate kitchen area! Will never afford that!

LOL, no way I am fighting off mosquitoes, gnats, flies, bugs and bears! Not to mention in Florida there are pythons that are eating everything. Oh, and gaters everywhere!

Glad some of you like it but no thanks!

Freedomin5

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #7 on: June 24, 2018, 06:14:35 AM »
I like camping...lying on the beach at night staring up into a sky filled with billions of stars listening to loon calls on the lake...nothing could be better. But I’m also deathly allergic to mosquitoes. As in I need prescription antibiotics for mosquito bites. And the only thing that prevents them from biting me is slathering myself with poisonous DEET, and sometimes not even that works. Mosquitoes will risk dying from DEET to drink my blood. My friends used to joke that all they need to do is walk beside me (while I’m covered in DEET) and the mosquitoes will still choose to bite me over them. So while I enjoy camping, I limit it to about once a year.

Oh, and I also like camping because we got a pop up tent that sets itself up in literally five seconds. It’s awesome! And it only cost $20. So I like camping because my tent is cool.

big_slacker

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #8 on: June 24, 2018, 06:33:41 AM »
Yes, because it's awesome.

BookLoverL

• Bristles
« Reply #9 on: June 24, 2018, 07:02:44 AM »
I love camping. It's nice to get out into nature, away from all the hustle and bustle. Plus, fields and the like often have poor phone reception and I never take my computer, so it gives me an excuse not to look at any screens the whole time.

In addition, I think the sleeping-on-the-ground-on-a-mat part is good for maintaining badassity and not getting too used to cushy beds, and I love waking up earlier than usual as the light of dawn filters in through the tent.

Now, if only there was more properly dark wilderness in England, maybe I could get a better view of the stars...

SilveradoBojangles

• Bristles
« Reply #10 on: June 24, 2018, 07:06:48 AM »
We splurged on an awesome camping mattress and good sleeping bags, and now camping is super comfortable. Being able to sleep well has really upped my enjoyment of camping.

DreamFIRE

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #11 on: June 24, 2018, 07:58:54 AM »
Another poll where none of the answers apply to me.

I don't dislike camping, but I never go camping - too many other things to do with my limited free time.

OtherJen

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #12 on: June 24, 2018, 08:32:56 AM »
I love camping. We have a great state park system, and it’s such a treat to be able to wake up somewhere beautiful and just go for a trail hike. Where else can you rent a piece of land right on a Great Lake coastline for $29 per night? We’re car campers and only stay in state parks with bathroom facilities, but we sleep on mats in a tent and cook our meals over the campfire.

We’re camping at our favorite state park next month. It’s 7.5 hours north of home and a 30-minute drive up the single road out of the nearest town. Tons of pine trees, a couple of miles of barely used Lake Superior beach, direct access to the North Country Trail, and a completely dark sky at night. Last time we went, we had no phone reception. We’re hoping for aurora borealis, as it’s been several years since we last saw it.

o2bfree

• Bristles
« Reply #13 on: June 24, 2018, 09:10:34 AM »
We enjoy camping in our van on road trips. When we first met 20+ years ago, we'd tent camp, which was fine then. Then one day DH, then DBF, brought home a 1980 Chevy van, and I thought, "No way do I want to be seen cruising around in that rattly old thing." But it made sense for windsurfing, since all the gear could go inside instead of having to rack it on top. He cleaned the van up and put in a cushy full-sized bed, and after the first night sleeping on that I thought, "No way am I sleeping in a tent again!"

We've been through a couple vans since then, and still enjoy van camping on road trips. The only thing I'm not always happy with is showering at campgrounds. Sometimes the showers are kind of dirty or cold or there's only one sink and mirror with several women crowded around trying to do their 4-step facial cleansing routines. But overall, I like being engaged with simple pleasures. It's so nice to sit out under the trees or on an ocean beach with a hot cup of coffee on a cool summer morning, or a cold drink on a hot summer afternoon!

nick663

• Bristles
« Reply #14 on: June 24, 2018, 10:20:09 AM »
There seems to be a wide range of definitions for "camping."  I picture tents and campfires while a few replies above mention RVs.

I enjoy the social aspects of camping but hate sleeping in a tent so I voted for the 3rd option.  If I had an RV that was basically a hotel room on wheels I probably would have voted differently.

Roadrunner53

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #15 on: June 24, 2018, 10:25:37 AM »
Funny, people who like camping will sleep in a tent on the ground. Leave home with a comfy bed, microwave, heat or ac, clean bathroom a freezer full of food but would they leave their cell phone home or at the very least turn it off unless needed for an emergency?

Zikoris

• Magnum Stache
  • Vancouverstachian
« Reply #16 on: June 24, 2018, 10:53:42 AM »
Funny, people who like camping will sleep in a tent on the ground. Leave home with a comfy bed, microwave, heat or ac, clean bathroom a freezer full of food but would they leave their cell phone home or at the very least turn it off unless needed for an emergency?

The places I camp tend to not have cell phone reception or internet access, so it's neither here nor there, but it's certainly prudent to have your phone in case of trouble getting to the campground.

Bracken_Joy

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #17 on: June 24, 2018, 11:00:29 AM »

We'll use our phones to cast music or podcasts sometimes, we have a little bluetooth speaker. A lot of areas never used to have cell signal, although that's getting more common the past couple years- I'm torn about that, but ultimately it's good for emergencies since we dispersed camp- we're never in organized campgrounds.

Being away from home's conveniences resets the hedonic treadmill. A shower feels so much more luxurious when you're first home. AC takes on a near-holy presence when you've been timing jumping into a river/lake/pond to stay cool.

TheWifeHalf

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #18 on: June 24, 2018, 11:05:54 AM »
"I don't do camping, I bought a house so that I didn't have to sleep outside."

That's my usual response when asked about camping.

My parents were lower middle class and camping, ALMOST EVERY SINGLE WEEKEND, was the entertainment they chose for the family. (They also chose a yearly day at Cedar Point, which I loved)
Sitting around a fire, the smoke ALWAYS came towards me.
I always had to pee in the middle of the night, and looking back, I would not let my daughter walk, sometimes pretty far, alone at night. (Later found I have a congenital problem, so though my mother thought I was just being a brat, I had a good reason for doing so.)
I hated then, as I do now, lying out in the sun, which one had to do when the lifeguard blew his whistle , everyone out of whatever lake we were at, for his break.

I didn't hate it then, but it seemed to me the mom did most of the work, though in his defense, Dad did the majority of the packing/unpacking.

I will always value the places we went, but now as an adult, with more money, I have been back to a few, enjoying their hotels!

Roadrunner53

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #19 on: June 24, 2018, 11:17:10 AM »
"I don't do camping, I bought a house so that I didn't have to sleep outside."

That's my usual response when asked about camping.

My parents were lower middle class and camping, ALMOST EVERY SINGLE WEEKEND, was the entertainment they chose for the family. (They also chose a yearly day at Cedar Point, which I loved)
Sitting around a fire, the smoke ALWAYS came towards me.
I always had to pee in the middle of the night, and looking back, I would not let my daughter walk, sometimes pretty far, alone at night. (Later found I have a congenital problem, so though my mother thought I was just being a brat, I had a good reason for doing so.)
I hated then, as I do now, lying out in the sun, which one had to do when the lifeguard blew his whistle , everyone out of whatever lake we were at, for his break.

I didn't hate it then, but it seemed to me the mom did most of the work, though in his defense, Dad did the majority of the packing/unpacking.

I will always value the places we went, but now as an adult, with more money, I have been back to a few, enjoying their hotels!

You are my soul sister! No camping for me unless it's in a $200K RV with the works!

On another note, I went to Girl Scout camp a few times and once was for two weeks. The tents were raised up above the ground on a wooden floor but it was under a tent and we slept on cots. As a ten year old girl, I really had fun with my friends each day. However, by the end, when my parents came to pick me up, I burst into tears...I was homesick! I had never been away for more than a night at a girlfriends house before. But now, I am too spoiled and too old to go camping. I love my ac, my hot water showers, the conveniences of home. I am glad others like it but not my cup of tea. Give me a luxury hotel and people waiting on me! That is my kind of vacation.

Also, when I was a kid I went to a day camp and I loved that too. Except for the fact as soon as we arrived we were told to change into bathing suits. They had these tents (we used to chage into our suits) that were just the type that were on the ground and stayed up all the time. One time I went in and it had a bunch of daddy long leg spiders clinging to the inside of the tent. To this day I have a horrible fear of spiders and I think that is where it started!

Sibley

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #20 on: June 24, 2018, 11:26:37 AM »
I have an irrational fear of bugs. This isn't normally a big deal, but it's cumulative. So while I'll be fine for the first batch of bugs, at some point I won't be fine and you will have a hysterically crying woman on your hands. The ONLY solution at that point is sleep. There is no other way to get me to reset. If there are still bugs, then the next breakdown will happen a lot faster too.

Imagine me camping for a couple days. It's not pretty.

Roadrunner53

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #21 on: June 24, 2018, 11:34:34 AM »
I have an irrational fear of bugs. This isn't normally a big deal, but it's cumulative. So while I'll be fine for the first batch of bugs, at some point I won't be fine and you will have a hysterically crying woman on your hands. The ONLY solution at that point is sleep. There is no other way to get me to reset. If there are still bugs, then the next breakdown will happen a lot faster too.

Imagine me camping for a couple days. It's not pretty.

Another soul sister. My father in law used to have honey bees. He would harvest the honey and sell it. The family was outside having a picnic and the bees decided to join us. I mostly can't tolerate any type of bug or flying insect. I tried my best to keep it together but the bees kept flying around me. Well, I lost it and started crying...an adult woman no less!  DUH to me but I have a low tolerance level to insects!

OtherJen

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #22 on: June 24, 2018, 11:36:12 AM »

Is this supposed to be snarky?

As stated above, we're hoping that the state park we're visiting next month is still remote enough to be out of cell phone range. If not, the phones will be off. I don't want clients/other non-profit board members to be able to contact me.

Mrs. Rocker

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
    • Off Our Rocker RV
« Reply #23 on: June 24, 2018, 11:38:22 AM »
We don't camp in the traditional sense but do live and travel full-time in an RV. Some days we are deep in the wilderness away from civilization and other days we are downtown in a large city. The variety keeps it interesting. Slow travel and not having a set agenda allows for a low stress level. We love this lifestyle and have no regrets from selling our house and taking the plunge to live in a motorhome.

2microsNH

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #24 on: June 24, 2018, 11:48:49 AM »
I used to love camping and we took at least two long camping trips per year, until I got Lyme and Erlichiosis and was sick for two years. Now I never camp, because it's impossible to take the necessary precautions against tick bites when you're crawling into and out of a tent.

TheWifeHalf

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #25 on: June 24, 2018, 01:18:12 PM »
There's a newer state park on Lake Erie, bout 10 miles from here. Someone told TheHusbandHalf that it is full of TICKS! He said they had to leave. We go to their Sunday buffets sometimes, the parking lot is paved - no bugs

I do remember when the family would go to state parks, the naturalists would have programs for kids, I did enjoy those.

Mr. Green

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #26 on: June 24, 2018, 03:03:38 PM »
I've always enjoyed camping. I think the big thing is you have to figure out what makes it a great experience for you, if possible. Some folks enjoy roughing it, backpacking into the wilderness and sleeping on the ground under a tarp. Others prefer "glamping" which might have a cot or RV or something else that's closer to being in a house than sleeping outside.

My wife and I intend to do a lot of camping in FIRE. We both love scenery and you'll never see the best scenery the world has to offer without getting away from civilization. We're planning to be able to do a mix of camping styles. I think our go to will be the two of us in a six-man tent. This gives us enough room to be very comfortable and not feel crazy being stuck inside on rainy days. We'll use this set up at campgrounds with facilities so we can shower, etc.

We have made some wise gear choices though so the sleeping bags we have are the same items we'll need when backpacking. We have a smaller, just big enough for two bodies, tent for that, and we've made other gear choices to enable us to backpack with very light loads.

We're also looking into whether we want to get a different car for car camping. I think it's rare we'd do this but it would be great to not feel pressured to find a campground or hotel for the night, depending on where we are. There are couples who have made car camping work in Prius hatchbacks. Something with high mpg would also be great since we want to tour the country, as opposed to a minivan or truck. The big downsides there are ground clearance and lack of 4WD, but I don't think we'll really end up in situations where we need that.

So we've been trying to put ourselves in the most versatile position possible so we can e joy camping without being uncomfortable. If you're not comfortable it won't be nearly as enjoyable as it could be. You might just be surprised how a little tinkering with your setup can influence that.

Dave1442397

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #27 on: June 24, 2018, 03:08:04 PM »
When we were kids, it was a great way to travel cheap. My parents bought the tent in the pic in the late '70s, and this pic shows it set up in Frejus, in the south of France. The campsite had a huge pool, a nice little store with fresh bread every morning, and there was lots to see in the area. The tent had three bedrooms and a kitchen area, and once we got used to it, we could put it up in around 45 minutes.

We spent a month traveling around Europe that summer, and it was a blast. I still remember that the cheapest thing to eat at the Swiss campsite was chocolate. They'd sell you three big bars wrapped in plastic (no label), for maybe a couple of dollars. I ate a lot of chocolate in Switzerland.

hudsoncat

• Bristles
« Reply #28 on: June 24, 2018, 03:19:16 PM »
DH and I enjoy camping... we have a vague idea about getting a small, teardrop style trailer and camping full-time for a couple of years post-FIRE. Sell everything big, store a few things, sell/rent out the house... We recurrently researching and discussing this plan as it would certainly change a few things about our plan along the way to FIRE. Buying a trailer is not currently in the long term plans and it would likely mean the purchase of a different type of vehicle than the one currently in the long term plans.

rdaneel0

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #29 on: June 24, 2018, 03:23:45 PM »
I like campervan camping but tents are a no go for me. On most vacations DH and I rent a campervan instead of a separate car and hotel/hostel, it actually saves money in some areas because lots of them have tiny cookers or grills so you can make your own food. Plus, it's the best way to explore a new place.

Bracken_Joy

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #30 on: June 24, 2018, 03:30:19 PM »
I like campervan camping but tents are a no go for me. On most vacations DH and I rent a campervan instead of a separate car and hotel/hostel, it actually saves money in some areas because lots of them have tiny cookers or grills so you can make your own food. Plus, it's the best way to explore a new place.

Even without camping, road trips are 10000x better if you can heat real meals from home up on a camp stove. Makes for a nice break, and you don't get the crappy roadtrip food feeling. =)

accolay

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #31 on: June 24, 2018, 04:00:42 PM »
Close to nature, no people around, no technology distractions, no modern noises. I really enjoy it.

OtherJen

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #32 on: June 24, 2018, 04:11:44 PM »

Even without camping, road trips are 10000x better if you can heat real meals from home up on a camp stove. Makes for a nice break, and you don't get the crappy roadtrip food feeling. =)

Yes! We heat up leftovers on the first night at a campsite rather than attempt fast food. It makes dinner so easy while we’re setting up the tent, etc.

rdaneel0

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #33 on: June 24, 2018, 04:34:35 PM »

Yes! We heat up leftovers on the first night at a campsite rather than attempt fast food. It makes dinner so easy while we’re setting up the tent, etc.

That is *such* a good idea! I can't believe that never occurred to me.

cats

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #34 on: June 24, 2018, 05:03:33 PM »
I enjoy camping.  We go on a few trips a year, I would like to do more as kid(s) get older and as we phase out of FT employment. 

We generally go places without phone reception so it is a good chance to really unplug.  As far as the OP comment goes about simply driving to nature for the day and then going home to sleep in their own bed, there is a lot of nature that is not within easy driving distance of a comfortable bed.  One thing I love about backpacking is the middle part of the trip where you have gone far enough to be away from all the day trippers and it really is just you and nature.  One time my husband and I went backpacking in Yosemite in November (not a busy time of year).  One our 2nd or 3rd night out we were camped out in a snow covered meadow and it was COMPLETELY silent outside.  Then we heard a pack of coyote howling and the sound was so clear and crisp, no other sounds at all interfering.  It was an amazing few minutes and would not have been possible without being willing to sleep on the ground for a few nights.  I don't love sleeping on the ground but it's worth it for experiences like that.

John Galt incarnate!

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #35 on: June 24, 2018, 05:09:48 PM »
Just curious if you enjoy camping and why or why not.

I used to think I wanted to get into it mainly as a form of cheap travel. I have no interest in camping within any reasonable distance from where I live as I'd just rather sleep in a bed and keep my routine...but wondering how most of the forum feels about it. Just seems like a logistical nightmare with too many compromises. If I want nature I'll just drive and spend all day in it and then come back. I mean, why would I pay tons of money for an awesome place to live just to go sleep in a terribly uncomfortable "bed" where things want to eat all my food.

Since the distance is reasonable give camping  a try.

My house in on ~  5 acres in the California  mountains so  I camp out right in my back yard in the spring, early summer, and fall.

Just for day or two once or twice a month.

From my hammock I have a wonderful view of the distant mountaintops that reach ~ 8000 feet above sea level.

For anyone  who is mulling a camping trip I cannot overemphasize how comfortable hammocks are

I have and recommend the larger hammock-for-two size hammock.

I sleep so soundly in mine that I'll never use a sleeping bag/air mattress  again.

HAPPY CAMPING!

FallenTimber

• Stubble
« Reply #36 on: June 24, 2018, 06:24:56 PM »
I can’t imagine a life without camping. The wilderness is what resets my mind and makes me feel alive.

We have a special spot near Moab that is an hour outside of town, accessed by 12 miles of rough 4x4 roads, and secluded far from anyone in a spot that overlooks an enormous canyon and the LaSal mountain range. It’s so quiet that your ears ring from the silence. When the sun sets, you won’t believe the speed of the sun dropping so rapidly after it has sat seemingly motionless in the sky all day. The stars in the desert are beyond all comprehension (and our home is in the mountains three hours away from any big towns, where the stars are certainly mesmerizing... but nothing compared to the desert). Combine that with the dancing flames of a campfire, the smell of juniper trees, and the scent of smoke on your clothes for days... it can’t be beat, in my book.

During the summers, we rent out our home through AirBnB and camp for weeks / months on end in a teardrop trailer that has an indoor bed and an outdoor kitchen. Living outdoors for any length of time is a great reminder of the small luxuries that are so easy to take for granted in day-to-day life.

use2betrix

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #37 on: June 24, 2018, 06:26:28 PM »
March of last year my wife and I did a 3000 mile motorcycle trip through Baja, Mexico. We went from Phoenix to Cabo San Lucas over a 3 week period. We camped on the beaches in Mexico every other night. We were limited in what we could bring, since we also brought full cooking supplies to cook dinner and breakfast daily. Not two mention, two up on a bike with tent, gear, etc.

Last fall, we did an 8,000 mile, two month US/Canada trip with our 4Runner and off-road trailer with tent. We camped every single night but 3 nights when we stayed at a friends for his wedding. We had a 3 month old German Shepherd with us as well, to also make things interesting.

I see a lot of comments on cooking. We are pretty strict/OCD on our diets, so have it down to a science. My wife replaced our 4Runner battery with a deep cell marine battery. That powers a 50 qt ARB fridge in the rear. So that solves the cooler issue (no need for ice). At bed bath and beyond we bought a food warmer for like $30 2-3 years ago. A tin foil container, like you’d use to make banana bread, fits perfectly. Every night, my wife would cook dinner and enough for lunch the next day. We’d put the lunch in the container, and just heat it up in the food warmer during the day. She’d always make eggs, potatoes, etc, for breakfast. This severely cut back on our going out to eat costs. Even now, we had 40 hrs of driving while we moved over 10 days a couple weeks ago. We made a ton of extra food, tossed it in our 4Runner fridge, and used our food warmer while on the road. Total breeze.

No, our vehicles, nor our camping gear is that mustachian. The motorcycle was bought new in 2015 and decked out for a trip like that. We sold it and used half the $ to buy the off road trailer. The 4Runner is also decked out and non mustachian. We live full time in a 40’ toy hauler as is, so we make sacrifices elsewhere.

Fomerly known as something

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #38 on: June 24, 2018, 06:46:58 PM »
I prefer a hotel room but will camp if it is the best option.

OtherJen

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #39 on: June 24, 2018, 09:00:13 PM »

That is *such* a good idea! I can't believe that never occurred to me.

It definitely took us a few years to catch on. We usually camp for 4 nights, so a leftovers night means I only have to plan for 3 dinners (and at least 1 will be chicken grilled over the campfire, and that makes leftovers for the next day's lunch). We've been honing our camp food skills for a decade, and we're still learning shortcuts. I only just figured out that hard boiling a bunch of eggs and bringing those will be way easier than trying to scramble eggs for breakfasts.

Linea_Norway

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #40 on: June 25, 2018, 02:58:36 AM »
I have always camped. Have hardly slept in hotels during vacations.

As a child, there was a long period of time where my parents couldn't afford to go on holiday. Then we stayed at home, at the local swimming pool or at the beach, one hour driving away. When I was 12 we started camping with car and 2 tents. I really liked it, especially when the campsite was small and charming. I really hate big, crowded campsites.

As an adult I have always been camping. It started with carrying a backpack and tents on our backs and following marked hiking routes in Britain. Sometimes taking a B&B when the weather was awful. Now we hike a lot in Norway in the mountains, improvising our own route by reading a map. The main goal is fishing for big trout. We often do this for a week at the time, as that is about the maximum weight we can carry on our backs. We eat dried food, since a year or 2 those dried meals are homemade. In those areas in the summer, the bugs are terrible. That is why our tent has a good mosquito netting. The rest of the time I cover in long clothing, wear a cap with mosquito netting and put DEET on any parts that are uncovered, as well as on my face when eating.
Still, sometimes these camping places we find out in the wild are very special. I really love the fact that we are in a quiet place that seems quite untouched.

When we are not hiking in the mountains during a vacation, we are car camping. That is quite different. We usually stay at camp sites where there are other people. We try to pick small campsites, with not too many camper vans. But those small campsites are often disappearing when the owners become pensioners. The big ones remain. As long as we find a nice one, we enjoy it. We still sleep in a small tent, but the very smallest. We now have a 3-persons tent with 2 entrances and equally high over the whole length. This is a lot more comfortable than the older tiny tents we used to have.
Sleeping on the ground on a thin foam mattress has never been nice for my back. But we now have mattresses that are comfy enough and still light weight. On car camping trips, we just buy food at the grocery stores and prepare it on the primus.
I don't think we will be car camping with a tent forever. We might fall for the temptation of buying a camper van, as we have already started to discuss it. Just to make it easier to camp other places than on campsites. It is easier to park a van than to find a parking place with a good pitching ground. And to make it more comfy to sleep. Maybe it also has something to do with the fact that so many people are camping in campers nowadays, that we are often the only ones on the campsite staying in a tent. And then I sometimes feel slightly awkward about it, sitting on the ground, cooking on the primus.
In general, when tent camping in the wilderness, on a days that the mosquitos are behaving well, I fell rich. Doing the same thing on a campsite I sometimes feel poor. This has to do with seeing many other people staying in a more luxury way close by.  My conclusion: maybe we should concentrate on staying in the wilderness.

PhilB

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #41 on: June 25, 2018, 05:17:56 AM »
For me, camping only really works when you minimise the hassle of pitching / unpitching so that you are happy to move on every day or two.  At one extreme that means travelling very light with backpack / bike / kayak.  At the other extreme a small campervan (one you can actually use to visit places rather than have to park it up somewhere) gives you something of the same freedom with a LOT more luxury.
I'm less keen on the bit in the middle where you go with a big tent and a car load of stuff that takes hours to take down and pack away - that takes away the freedom that makes camping/touring so wonderful and replaces it with a substandard version of renting a cottage.

Linea_Norway

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #42 on: June 25, 2018, 05:50:58 AM »
For me, camping only really works when you minimise the hassle of pitching / unpitching so that you are happy to move on every day or two.  At one extreme that means travelling very light with backpack / bike / kayak.  At the other extreme a small campervan (one you can actually use to visit places rather than have to park it up somewhere) gives you something of the same freedom with a LOT more luxury.
I'm less keen on the bit in the middle where you go with a big tent and a car load of stuff that takes hours to take down and pack away - that takes away the freedom that makes camping/touring so wonderful and replaces it with a substandard version of renting a cottage.

I recently read somewhere that a couple had started to attack each other and ended up with cut wounds, during the process of putting up a tent. Also somewhere above in this thread someone mentions that after some practice, they managed to set up the tent in 45 minutes. We use less than 5 minutes and that is very convenient.

What we do have, is a load of stuff. That is the whole point of being on a car vacation, that you can bring along a lot of stuff and do different things on your trip. We bring along hiking gear (large backpacks, walking boots and sticks), thick wetsuits and spears for hunting underwater), lots of books, fishing gear for fishing in sea and in rivers, a packraft. And some years we also bring along a kano. But because that makes the car really crowded, we skip that. We also brought along bicycles some times. But we cannot store them safely if we park the car for some days to go on a longer hike. I miss the bicycles often.

Stachetastic

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #43 on: June 25, 2018, 06:26:52 AM »
We are state park campground campers with an old, cheap pop up camper. I need running water and daily showers, and the kids love the playgrounds.We are camping this weekend at a site 15 minutes from home, just to get a change of scenery. This state park has a small lake with a beach, a disc golf course, and lots of hiking trails. I totally get the previous poster who indicated they do not like to camp within distance of their own comfy bed, but we have my step son on weekends and never really know his schedule until we pick him up, so we are often surprised by birthday parties and sports games we have to get him to. We lucked out this weekend and he actually has a birthday party in the same state park we will be camping!

Zola.

• Bristles
  • Let's do this.
« Reply #44 on: June 25, 2018, 06:40:11 AM »
I like to camp in slightly cooler weather, if its too hot, the tent is unbearable.

Also, it has to be a group thing, as it seems a bit pointless to go away as a couple, unless you are exploring somewhere new and interesting.

dude

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #45 on: June 25, 2018, 07:16:24 AM »
Backcountry camping in the mountains. Carrying your home on your back. Settling down on some idyllic patch of earth in the middle of nowhere. Boiling up water for your freeze-dried meal. Nothing makes me happier. Truly the best moments in my life.

Zola.

• Bristles
  • Let's do this.
« Reply #46 on: June 25, 2018, 07:28:29 AM »
Tell us more dude, how long do you go for etc ?  Presumably you bring books and other sorts to keep you stimulated?

dcheesi

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #47 on: June 25, 2018, 08:08:09 AM »
Never camped as a kid; my parents were getting older and were burned out on it by the time I came along.

I've still never tried "roughing it", but I do enjoy festival/campsite camping in the summer/fall months. Much cheaper than staying in a hotel, and for events you have the benefit of staying on site the whole time.

My main hurdle is in convincing my brother not to bring everything including the kitchen sink! He always has grand plans of cooking all our meals, but after a breakfast or two it's too much hassle and we just eat snacks & sandwiches (or occasionally vendor food at festivals) the rest of the time.

crxpilot

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #48 on: June 25, 2018, 08:18:29 AM »

LDoon

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #49 on: June 25, 2018, 08:21:03 AM »
It's the mornings that are the most enjoyable.  Whether RVing, car camping, or backpacking, my favorite is the morning air and sounds, plus a cup of coffee (hopefully taking in a nice view).