Author Topic: Cable?  (Read 10345 times)

katsiki

• Handlebar Stache
Re: Cable?
« Reply #100 on: January 21, 2021, 08:34:24 AM »
Does anyone have any other way of breaking out of the monopoly -(for context  we only have one supplier / DSL just wont cut it for my work /Verizon over the air isnt fast enough.) I think we are stuck

Have you looked at what options exist speed-wise on DSL?  Unless they are low/limited, it is likely fast enough for work.  (Maybe not if you have to upload CAD drawings or huge files).

zoro

• Stubble
« Reply #101 on: January 21, 2021, 09:26:07 AM »
Does anyone have any other way of breaking out of the monopoly -(for context  we only have one supplier / DSL just wont cut it for my work /Verizon over the air isnt fast enough.) I think we are stuck

Have you looked at what options exist speed-wise on DSL?  Unless they are low/limited, it is likely fast enough for work.  (Maybe not if you have to upload CAD drawings or huge files).

So even though im technically retired my 'work' is a bit of consulting by video conference, and so with the kids at home I have 3 zoom meetings running at the same time. The 30MBs cable wasnt cutting it so we moved to 100Mbit with an offer, would love DSL but I just dont think it is enough bandwidth.

katsiki

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #102 on: January 21, 2021, 09:27:57 AM »

So even though im technically retired my 'work' is a bit of consulting by video conference, and so with the kids at home I have 3 zoom meetings running at the same time. The 30MBs cable wasnt cutting it so we moved to 100Mbit with an offer, would love DSL but I just dont think it is enough bandwidth.

Gotcha.  Yeah, 4 video feeds might max it.  I can see that.

WhiteTrashCash

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #103 on: January 21, 2021, 09:32:04 AM »
I haven't paid for cable/satellite TV in 13 years and I haven't had it in my home for eleven years. We really don't miss it at all. For one thing, it was annoying to pay money to watch commercials and then to have product placement inside the episodes of the shows. With technology being what it is, it's easy to set up an antenna if you live in a populated area and just use an over-the-air DVR and maybe supplement it with one streaming service.

Just wanted to point out to folks that the upcoming LinuxMint 20.1 OS upgrade will include an app that allows you to play live TV through your computer and use the computer as a DVR. This function is already available if you know where to look for it under various operating systems, but this will be really nice for the less tech-savvy because it'll work straight "out of the box" with minimal setup and the OS is completely free-of-charge to install and use. LinuxMint is by far the most user-friendly version of Linux for people more familiar with Windows.
Just loaded into Ubuntu 20.04 very surprised on how easy it was. Do you know if there is a guide that is associated with this?

LinuxMint is based on Ubuntu so it has a lot of the same features. The closest thing I could find to a guide for recording TV on Ubuntu is this website I found: https://pineriverartclub.org/hauppauge-wintv-hvr-1250-linux-42/ . It includes a suggested TV tuner card to use for it as well. It'll be much easier when LinuxMint 20.1 come out in a few months, because the function will be already built-in and easily accessible -- although you would still need to buy a TV tuner card. Those are really inexpensive, though.

Thanks for mentioning this, @WhiteTrashCash !   Gives me an excuse to mess with Linux again.

BTW, looks like the version you mentioned may have come out early.  I noticed this blog post on the linux mint home page

https://blog.linuxmint.com/?p=4020

"How to upgrade to Linux Mint 20.1"

Oh, that's good news! Last I had heard it was still in beta testing. I'll have to upgrade my OS to it. I've been very pleased with LinuxMint. It is very easy to use and you get all the functionality of Ubuntu.

zoro

• Stubble
« Reply #104 on: January 21, 2021, 09:34:59 AM »

Gotcha.  Yeah, 4 video feeds might max it.  I can see that.

one thing i did do when i realized comcast had me was to buy the stock. The dividend pays my cable bill. It is annoying, but it makes me less mad every month.

pressure9pa

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #105 on: January 21, 2021, 11:45:55 AM »
Dumped Cable (and tv altogether) in 2014.  In 2016 I got an antenna, and started pulling in local OTA channels. In 2020 we started sharing a Netflix account with my SIL.  I feel like I'm paying her rather than Netflix, so I feel as if my non-mustachian ways are justified. 

I thought I'd miss live sports, but I've found just as much excitement in streaming the radio broadcasts, and I'm more productive while listening. 

WhiteTrashCash

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #106 on: January 23, 2021, 09:40:43 AM »
I just upgraded the old laptop I am using as a streaming box to LinuxMint 20.1 and it includes the Hypnotix app which adds over 3000 channels of legal, free IPTV from around the world.  There are something like 200 channels from the USA and about 90 channels from the UK. I recommend checking it out to anyone who wants to do some cordcutting and still have a lot of legal free stuff to watch. LinuxMint -- like all Linux distributions -- are completely free of charge and LinuxMint is very similar to the experience you have using Windows, so there isn't much of a learning curve to it.

FLBiker

• Handlebar Stache
    • Chop Wood Carry FIRE
« Reply #107 on: January 23, 2021, 10:58:25 AM »
I thought I'd miss live sports, but I've found just as much excitement in streaming the radio broadcasts, and I'm more productive while listening.

Interesting!  We have no cable (I never have, since moving out of my parents house in 1999) but I like watching American football, so (here in Canada) I have DAZN for ~5 months a year @ $20 per month.  I've never tried listening to it on the radio, but maybe I will.

We use the CBC Gem app, streaming to our TV for the little TV we watch.  And we use Youtube (again, on a Roku TV) for workout stuff.

katsiki

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #108 on: January 23, 2021, 02:39:53 PM »
I just upgraded the old laptop I am using as a streaming box to LinuxMint 20.1 and it includes the Hypnotix app which adds over 3000 channels of legal, free IPTV from around the world.  There are something like 200 channels from the USA and about 90 channels from the UK. I recommend checking it out to anyone who wants to do some cordcutting and still have a lot of legal free stuff to watch. LinuxMint -- like all Linux distributions -- are completely free of charge and LinuxMint is very similar to the experience you have using Windows, so there isn't much of a learning curve to it.

Thanks @WhiteTrashCash !   I need to get after this.  I think I have more than a couple of spare PCs/laptops laying around..

Question if you know or can easily check: does Hypnotix have any parental controls?  That is my main gripe with Roku channels.  Many have 0 controls and some of the content is not family-friendly.  Thanks for any info!!

HBFIRE

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #109 on: January 23, 2021, 02:44:42 PM »
Last time I had cable was about 13 years ago.

WhiteTrashCash

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #110 on: January 23, 2021, 03:26:19 PM »

Thanks @WhiteTrashCash !   I need to get after this.  I think I have more than a couple of spare PCs/laptops laying around..

Question if you know or can easily check: does Hypnotix have any parental controls?  That is my main gripe with Roku channels.  Many have 0 controls and some of the content is not family-friendly.  Thanks for any info!!

As far as I can tell, they haven't included Parental Controls yet, but these are all publicly available streaming channels so I don't know if the content would be all that racy or inappropriate. It's mostly a lot of regular broadcast channels, news channels, sports channels, movie channels, that sort of thing. Currently, you can pause and resume the livestreams, but they are still working on updates that will include an Electronic Program Guide (EPG) and DVR capability. That will probably be in the next update.

katsiki

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #111 on: January 23, 2021, 03:38:47 PM »
Thanks again @WhiteTrashCash

I read up on it a bit and it does seem fairly safe.  I read about the sources used, etc.  I will post here if/when I install this and play around with it.

It definitely looks promising for anyone looking to cut the cord.

Daley

• Magnum Stache
  • Still kickin', I guess.
« Reply #112 on: January 23, 2021, 07:59:41 PM »
I read up on it a bit and it does seem fairly safe.  I read about the sources used, etc.  I will post here if/when I install this and play around with it.

It definitely looks promising for anyone looking to cut the cord.

For anyone interested, the GitHub repo name that maintains the massive IPTV M3U playlists that are actually being used by the previously mentioned, four month old, still buggy, currently Mint repository exclusive app, is called "Free-IPTV".

The list is primarily maintained for the Kodi community, and given it's bog standard M3U files, can be used with anything, including Kodi (which it's actually intended for and pretty easy to use and available on nearly all non-proprietary platforms), VLC, whatever IPTV app your TV/media center/device can run, and whatever else that can handle it down to networked toasters, I guess. No new OS needed just to use and explore, you can probably thumb through it right now on the very thing you're reading this post from with very little effort. Freedom of choice, and all that. It's also worth noting that not all streams contain metadata and scheduling, or parental controls with this list... in fact, most don't, and I've noticed over the years that a few of the poached streams from other services like Filmrise have occasionally shown hard R content, if it's a thing of concern. It's easily blocked in the Filmrise app, but not so much as a raw video feed. With regard to the foreign streaming broadcast TV content, be aware of broadcast decency laws and what time watershed is in those countries as well, if child filtering is of concern. There's also propaganda networks like Infowars randomly tossed in there, so it's safe to say there's not so much discernment and quality going into maintaining these lists so much as it just being a raw firehose of URLs, for better or worse.

This said, easily 85% of the stream addresses at least here in the United States, save for a few local channel feeds from around the country (quite a few are public access), are the same streams you can already get for free through Pluto/Redbox/Xumo/Stirr/Filmrise/RokuTV/etc., which is to say, hundreds of channels and still nothing to watch. The most interesting bits on the US feeds that I found were honestly C-SPAN and KTLA. Though they claim all feeds are "legal", there's clearly a lot of rebroadcasts that don't seem like they were intended to be publicly streamed online by the network in question, such as the Cozi feed out of West Virginia and the ThisTV feed from Kansas City (both broadcast substations that don't stream online like Comet and Stadium), though the ThisTV feed doesn't appear to be live, but a fragmented broken chunk of video. There's a lot of broken feeds in there, as well as what would likely classify as gray market feeds if legally challenged like the East Coast USA cable feed, even if they're not behind a login, or region locked. This isn't to say that they're all like that, though... a majority of them are actually legit, just uncoupled from the convenience of their standard app/website. It's also worth noting that the claim of 3000+ channels looks to be a tad over-inflated given the master playlist has a not insignificant number of duplicate and triplicate feeds for the same streaming channel from competing free streaming services. The most odd omission from this supposed master list has to be Love Nature, one of the few live streaming channels that's actually halfway decent.

Personally, I wouldn't bother with it if you already have a smart TV or Roku and an antenna, as there's very little there that you can't already get, unless you want to jam on foreign language broadcasts to sharpen your non-primary language skills. And given the price and power draw of a Roku these days, there's really no sense in using that IPTV M3U playlist given most of the US streams are pulled from apps that actually already have a live TV guide built into the front end.

This said, if anyone's actually looking to repurpose an old computer for an HTPC, look into LibreELEC as it would be a far better geared distro for doing entertainment streaming as it's built to run lean with only the system files necessary to run Kodi which also gives you a 10 foot user interface out of the box, and is compiled for a whole mess of platforms, from generic x86 to Pi and a lot inbetween.

Edited only to remove a link and add details about potential content and age restriction issues.
« Last Edit: January 23, 2021, 10:00:57 PM by Daley »

WhiteTrashCash

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #113 on: January 23, 2021, 08:11:34 PM »
I'm not going to respond to Daley, because he/she likes to troll me a lot, but I just want to reiterate that if you are looking for a free way to get lots of IPTV channels with equipment you have laying around instead of needing to buy something and you want an experience that is very similar to Windows and doesn't require much of a learning curve, then LinuxMint 20.1 and the built-in Hypnotix app could be a good choice.

NorthernMonkey

• Stubble
« Reply #114 on: January 24, 2021, 02:18:36 AM »
I have to maybe find another internet provider or to downgrade the internet speed (which also doesn’t seem to be the speed in paying for by running a speed test).

Home phone +internet + tv (500 channels) =$160
Home phone +internet = $142

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Holy moley!!!! $142 for internet and phone!!!!

jim555

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #115 on: January 24, 2021, 04:29:41 AM »
No cable.  Use OTA TV with antenna and recording devices for the DVR.  Internet is a 4G LTE hotspot. 

ctuser1

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #116 on: January 24, 2021, 07:04:31 AM »
I pay $38.63/month with Frontier for internet alone. I have https://www.poly.com/us/en/products/phones/obi/obi200 with Google Voice for free VOIP home phone. I purchased the device itself for $20 when it was on sale, probably from newegg.

Optimum is the main cable company in our area. But they want to charge me $80/month for internet alone. And despite their claims and advertisements, I don't find any practical difference in the service quality. Optimum has *much* higher claimed bandwidth, but Frontier seems to have lower latency and much more reliable. I'd take reliable over bandwidth any day when we have two adults working from home and two kids doing remote school.

guitar_stitch

• Bristles
« Reply #117 on: January 28, 2021, 09:35:07 AM »
I technically have a TV package.  It was cheaper to bundle UVerse and Internet than it was for just the internet access alone. 

I don't know what the quality is like, or what the programming offers.  The box is stuffed in a closet somewhere.

Daley

• Magnum Stache
  • Still kickin', I guess.
« Reply #118 on: January 28, 2021, 09:48:56 AM »
I technically have a TV package.  It was cheaper to bundle UVerse and Internet than it was for just the internet access alone. 

I don't know what the quality is like, or what the programming offers.  The box is stuffed in a closet somewhere.

You might want to look into TOAST.net. It's AT&T fiber or vDSL internet without the need for stupid promo monkey dance pricing shenanigans, discount bundling or modem rental fees. Fiber 100 is $60/month, taxes and fees inclusive, which is plenty fast for most anyone, and their pricing packages are grandfathered, so even if prices keep going up, your rate stays the same. I've used them for years.
« Last Edit: January 28, 2021, 09:51:27 AM by Daley »

katsiki

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #119 on: January 28, 2021, 09:50:46 AM »

You might want to look into TOAST.net. It's AT&T fiber or vDSL internet without the stupid promo monkey dance, discount bundling or modem rental fees. Fiber 100 is $60/month, taxes and fees inclusive, which is plenty fast for most anyone. I've used them for years.

Agreed.  Been using toast for 2+ years on Daley's suggestion in these forums.  I had uverse bundle also and switched to that.  We got tired up paying so much, haggling every year over price and finding little TV worth watching.

Added: I have vDSL, not fiber from ATT (resold through toast).  Plenty of speed, 0 issues.
« Last Edit: January 28, 2021, 03:12:03 PM by katsiki »

jinga nation

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #120 on: January 28, 2021, 10:39:28 AM »
haven't paid for cable since Jan 2006. Haven't had the need.
That has afforded more time to read books, listen to music, study for industry certifications, exercise, and be actively involved in raising my spawn.
Currently Prime Video suffices for the science/nature/food documentary needs, in addition to OTA broadcast channels.
Recently installed the free PlutoTV app on my iPad. Can watch This Old House, the British Antiques Roadshow, and various other DIY and cooking channels.
« Last Edit: January 28, 2021, 10:42:13 AM by jinga nation »

Just Joe

• Walrus Stache
  • Teach me something.
« Reply #121 on: January 30, 2021, 06:41:11 PM »
Thanks for mentioning this, @WhiteTrashCash !   Gives me an excuse to mess with Linux again.

BTW, looks like the version you mentioned may have come out early.  I noticed this blog post on the linux mint home page

https://blog.linuxmint.com/?p=4020

"How to upgrade to Linux Mint 20.1"

As you navigate the Linux webpages and forums make sure to note the dates of the discussion. Stuff more than a couple of years old is often not very helpful. Go far enough back and everything is command line and can be confusing depending on your skill level. Lots of point and click solutions now.

billy

• Bristles
  • fired at 39 since 2021
« Reply #122 on: January 30, 2021, 09:59:46 PM »
Yes.

Haven’t had good luck getting the local channels via antenna and really haven’t studied if the other options will support my viewing habits.

I’m way behind the times: I also still use a flip phone.

you may get lucky with this https://www.locast.org/

Wow, a phone plan for fifteen bucks!