Author Topic: Buying a house  (Read 3856 times)

unitsinc

• Stubble
Buying a house
« on: April 12, 2012, 07:56:25 AM »
My name is Tommy.

I'm young, just turned 27, and I'm 100% debt free and I have a pretty high income(~90k before taxes.)

I almost maxed my 401k last year, and I'm on track to do it this year. I maxed my Roth last year, and will easily do it this year.

I'd like to buy a house. In order to do that, I need money up front, so it seems like investing all of my extra money long term would not be the wisest thing to do.

What would you guys recommend? I have a goal of a year, perhaps two. I don't need something super expensive by any means, especially since I am single with no children. I just understand that it is still a good time to buy right now and I'd obviously prefer to buy when the market is better.

If you read this, thank you.
If you repsond I'll greatly appreciate it.

Have a great day,
Tommy :D
« Last Edit: April 12, 2012, 10:23:12 AM by unitsinc »

grantmeaname

• CM*MW 2023 Attendees
  • Walrus Stache
  • Cast me away from yesterday's things
Re: Buying a house
« Reply #1 on: April 12, 2012, 08:16:30 AM »
Welcome!
For the meetup offer, check out the Meetup subforum (second to last one) to see if something's going on in your area.

As for the house, I believe first-time homebuyers can use 401k/(non-Roth)IRA money to buy, but I'll let someone who knows more about it jump in before I say something wrong.

arebelspy

• Administrator
  • Senior Mustachian
« Reply #2 on: April 12, 2012, 08:55:56 AM »
With such a short time frame (1-2 years), you're correct that you probably will want the money liquid - maybe short term CDs initially, then money market accounts.

Start looking at the market in your area now, with no intent to purchase yet, so you can see what is/isn't a good deal.
I am a former teacher who accumulated a bunch of real estate, retired at 29, spent some time traveling the world full time and am now settled with three kids.
If you want to know more about me, this Business Insider profile tells the story pretty well.
I (rarely) blog at AdventuringAlong.com. Check out the Now page to see what I'm up to currently.

velocistar237

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #3 on: April 12, 2012, 09:13:17 AM »
It helps to learn more about the process. See if you can find some good online resources or a local first-time homebuyers class.

AJ

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #4 on: April 12, 2012, 10:40:45 AM »
If you plan on getting married, you might want to buy your house with an eye toward converting it into a rental later on. Your housing needs/preferences will undoubtedly change when a partner/kids enter the scene. Arebelspy said it best: pile up liquid assets, start looking at houses in your area to get a feel for the market. Once you contact a buyers agent, they will hit the ground running, so be sure you're ready to move forward with purchasing before hooking up with a professional. Until then, Redfin is a good place to start looking at what's available in your area.

Sounds like you're on a good track!