Author Topic: Burial Plots for sale  (Read 3212 times)

saijoe

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
Burial Plots for sale
« on: August 07, 2017, 09:32:55 AM »
I have a question about a strategy for selling a couple of burial plots.  My Father in Law passed away last fall.  Though they had a couple of plots that they bought many years ago (purchased for $200 each in the seventies when the cemetery was just opening), my Mother in Law opted to have him cremated and have his ashes spread into the lake he loved to fish. 

So, she has asked me to do the leg work to get these two plots sold.  We've learned that if you bought a new plot at this cemetery today, you'd spend $2K and up.  Someone also mentioned the possibility of donating them for a tax write-off.  So my questions are:

What would be the best avenue for selling these plots?  Craigslist?  Something else?

Is the tax write-off idea feasible?

Any help would be much appreciated. 

LessIsLess

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
Re: Burial Plots for sale
« Reply #1 on: August 07, 2017, 09:40:18 AM »
If you advertise on Craigslist, add the word "free" to your title.  It attracts attention.  "Burial plot for free" would be your title.  In the description say, "Great burial plot - free from maintenance- for $3000.  Cash only."

BlueHouse

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #2 on: August 07, 2017, 09:54:25 AM »
Contact the cemetery.  They often have a waiting list and they may be able to locate a family near your plots who wish to expand. 

Dicey

• Senior Mustachian
« Reply #3 on: August 08, 2017, 09:42:18 AM »
If you advertise on Craigslist, add the word "free" to your title.  It attracts attention.  "Burial plot for free" would be your title.  In the description say, "Great burial plot - free from maintenance- for $3000.  Cash only."
Bad answer.
Contact the cemetery.  They often have a waiting list and they may be able to locate a family near your plots who wish to expand. 
Badass answer.

Kashmani

• Stubble
« Reply #4 on: August 08, 2017, 09:59:39 AM »
I recently bought an early-80s unused burial plot on Kijiji because it was in an established section of the cemetery and cost less than the current price of a new plot. That plot was for my parents. I am in the market for another for myself, and would buy off Kijiji again. So both Kijiji and Craigslist should work for you.

At least here in Canada I noticed that municipal cemetery plots sell well in the secondary market whereas corporate plots linger. This is because municipalities are much less likely to go bankrupt than corporations, so the lawn will still be mowed 50 years from now.

KarefulKactus15

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #5 on: August 09, 2017, 03:58:03 PM »

I vote that as dishonest thing to do.    There are enough people like that already. We don't need more.

retiringearly

• Bristles
« Reply #6 on: August 10, 2017, 08:55:07 AM »
There are websites that sell burial plots.  I believe even eBay does it as well.

Clever Name

• Stubble
« Reply #7 on: August 11, 2017, 03:13:12 PM »

Do not do this. People hate it, and they will avoid doing business with you because of it.

Personally, when I come across a misleading listing like that, I flag it for removal.