Author Topic: Bought a 2014 Volkswagen Jetta Sportwagen TDI in cash  (Read 3467 times)

Bearblastbeats

Bought a 2014 Volkswagen Jetta Sportwagen TDI in cash
« on: October 12, 2018, 11:26:52 AM »
Man, that's a lot of wagen in that name.

Anyway, I found a 2014 sportwagen and bought it in cash for $6800. I registered it the next day for $137 and sent it right to my mechanic to inspect it and slap some new shoes on that puppy.

Gave me a call to let me know that it's a solid car, needs typical maintenance and brakes and the tires but overall pretty good deal.

Now even though I wont win any style points, not having a car payment and averaging 30mpg, I'll be laughing all the way to the bank.

nessness

• Handlebar Stache
Re: Bought a 2014 Volkswagen Jetta Sportwagen TDI in cash
« Reply #1 on: October 12, 2018, 12:30:54 PM »
My husband has a 2015 TSI sportwagen (uses regular gas instead of diesel) and we 90% love it - the 10% is because we've had more mechanical issues with it than seem appropriate for a 3-year-old car. But it's roomy, comfortable, and gets even better gas mileage than advertised.

nick663

• Bristles
« Reply #2 on: October 14, 2018, 02:08:22 PM »
30 mpg?  Should be much better than that if it's a TDI.

I had a 2010 Jetta TDI and miss it a lot.  Seeing the prices on them has made me considering getting another one.

EnjoyIt

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #3 on: October 14, 2018, 05:02:34 PM »

Anyway, I found a 2014 sportwagen and bought it in cash for $6800. I registered it the next day for $137 and sent it right to my mechanic to inspect it and slap some new shoes on that puppy.

Gave me a call to let me know that it's a solid car, needs typical maintenance and brakes and the tires but overall pretty good deal.

Now even though I wont win any style points, not having a car payment and averaging 30mpg, I'll be laughing all the way to the bank.

Is that really how inexpensive they are these days?

Bearblastbeats

« Reply #4 on: October 14, 2018, 05:23:39 PM »

Is that really how inexpensive they are these days?

Well, no. He was going to sell it for 8500 through his dealership but hes a friend of a friend and I paid cash.

SnackDog

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #5 on: October 14, 2018, 05:34:28 PM »
If it has low miles it could be a good deal.

Radagast

• Magnum Stache
  • One Does Not Simply Work Into Mordor
« Reply #6 on: October 14, 2018, 08:28:48 PM »
A 2014 diesel wagon sounds like a great deal for that price. I was recently looking at the vehicles that I could get for under $5,000 and there are some surprisingly nice options. Just read the reviews from when they were introduced!

swinginbeef

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #7 on: October 15, 2018, 06:09:09 AM »
That sounds like a fine price. I bought a 2001 TDI in 2006 for $6000 and drove the wheels off of it. But the thought of only getting 30mpg makes me wonder if it has an issue. I averaged 40-41mpg in my Jetta over the course of it's life.

Zola.

• Bristles
  • Let's do this.
« Reply #8 on: October 15, 2018, 08:37:07 AM »
VW are so solid. I am still driving my 2002 TDI Bora - coming up on 243,000 miles.

I cant part with it as its driving so good. I bought it for £2500 in 2011.

Dr. Pepper

• Stubble
« Reply #9 on: October 15, 2018, 09:23:47 AM »
That seems like a really good deal, checked craigslist for my area and similar cars are around 12-17k

MasterStache

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #10 on: October 15, 2018, 01:36:49 PM »
I had a terrible experience with a 2002 Jetta. Will never buy VW again. Sounds like you got a good deal OP. 

clutchy

• Bristles
« Reply #11 on: October 16, 2018, 07:52:09 AM »

Just an FYI; those cars are gross polluters and VW has admitted to fraud with their emissions systems. 

At times they are 50X allowable limits. 

Just so you're aware you're dumping your environmental external costs onto others while keeping savings for yourself.

wageslave23

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #12 on: October 16, 2018, 07:56:41 AM »

Just an FYI; those cars are gross polluters and VW has admitted to fraud with their emissions systems. 

Just so you're aware you're dumping your environmental external costs onto others while keeping savings for yourself.

Its a used car, so unless you are going to buy it and then have it scrapped... your comment is not relevant.

clutchy

• Bristles
« Reply #13 on: October 16, 2018, 08:09:57 AM »

Its a used car, so unless you are going to buy it and then have it scrapped... your comment is not relevant.

it is relevant if we're going to live in a moral and just world. 

People need to be aware of and conscientious about their actions.
« Last Edit: October 16, 2018, 08:11:42 AM by clutchy »

wageslave23

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #14 on: October 16, 2018, 09:56:54 AM »

If he did not buy it and drive it, someone else would.  So his buying and driving it has not effect on the environment.

use2betrix

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #15 on: October 16, 2018, 09:57:24 AM »

So was the other alternative if he didn’t buy it, that it would go to the scrap yard?

Errrr do you think maybe someone else would have bought it and be driving it instead?

clutchy

• Bristles
« Reply #16 on: October 16, 2018, 01:21:06 PM »

If he did not buy it and drive it, someone else would.  So his buying and driving it has not effect on the environment.

I kinda feel like we're talking about killing people and if we didn't kill people someone else would? 

No thanks

Radagast

• Magnum Stache
  • One Does Not Simply Work Into Mordor
« Reply #17 on: October 16, 2018, 09:19:26 PM »
Forgive my ignorance... I thought VW already had to fix all the issues with these?

clutchy

• Bristles
« Reply #18 on: October 17, 2018, 08:32:34 AM »
Forgive my ignorance... I thought VW already had to fix all the issues with these?

you can't fix diesel... that was why they cheated to begin with.  It's like "clean coal" it doesn't exist.  There is "less dirty coal" and "non-acid rain coal".

nick663

• Bristles
« Reply #19 on: October 17, 2018, 10:27:01 PM »

you can't fix diesel... that was why they cheated to begin with.  It's like "clean coal" it doesn't exist.  There is "less dirty coal" and "non-acid rain coal".
They cheated because the solution cost money and was detrimental to performance/ownership experienece.  The issue that caused the TDI vehicles to emit more than the legal limit has been fixed so your comments about 50x legal emissions is off base.