Author Topic: Best City/Town in USA for reaching FI  (Read 11226 times)

Bicycle_B

• Handlebar Stache
  • Mustachian-ish in Live Music Capital of the World
Re: Best City/Town in USA for reaching FI
« Reply #50 on: June 10, 2018, 08:17:29 PM »
And Texas is quite conservative.

@Carl500 It's worth taking a bit of time to think of how your personal beliefs line up with those prevailing in the areas you plan on considering for relocating. A very conservative person may have more issues assimilating into the coastal PNW. Likewise a person more on the liberal and/or religiously non-Christian will not mesh as easily in parts of the south or Texas.

Austin excepted...   :)

Bateaux

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #51 on: June 11, 2018, 05:59:16 AM »

@Carl500 It's worth taking a bit of time to think of how your personal beliefs line up with those prevailing in the areas you plan on considering for relocating. A very conservative person may have more issues assimilating into the coastal PNW. Likewise a person more on the liberal and/or religiously non-Christian will not mesh as easily in parts of the south or Texas.

Texas isn't the ultraconservative, bible thumping shithole it once was.  Better places to live however.

acroy

• Handlebar Stache
    • SWAMI
« Reply #52 on: June 12, 2018, 10:46:05 AM »
Texas isn't the ultraconservative, bible thumping shithole it once was.  Better places to live however.
Only the center of the big cities, Dallas, Austin, Houston etc are shitholes, bunch of progs bringing in their big-city problems and messing it up. The rest is quite nice

Paul der Krake

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #53 on: June 12, 2018, 01:18:09 PM »
Only the center of the big cities, Dallas, Austin, Houston etc are shitholes, bunch of progs bringing in their big-city problems and messing it up. The rest is quite nice
That's why all the new exciting jobs being created in Texas are in rural areas. People just love being outside of cities.

mrl

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #54 on: June 12, 2018, 03:41:43 PM »

Keep in mind, that Texas weather leaves a lot to be desired.  Disgustingly hot all summer long.  People literally don't walk around outside most of the year in cities like Houston as it's so hot and humid.

Yep and it’s the most hurricane prone state.

I think that'd be Florida, with TX in second place...

Unique User

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #55 on: June 12, 2018, 07:09:10 PM »
I’d look at St. Louis also. We left three years ago to move to Raleigh but I was surprised in my three years there how affordable it was and the potential for high paying jobs. I much prefer Raleigh though. Better weather and the job market is good.  The unemployment rate here is low with plenty of high paying companies.  Housing is still moderately inexpensive and the traffic is a fraction of VA, CA, Atlanta or Charlotte.

Carl500

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #56 on: June 13, 2018, 03:40:59 AM »

Thanks for the input. Yes, I'm aware that different parts of the USA have different political biases. I'm libertarian, so I could be happy anywhere. My loose plan atm is to spend 6-12 months in NYC, try it out there and then if I don't like it I'll consider it a mini-retirement and move to Texas or North Carolina.

AZDude

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #57 on: June 13, 2018, 10:17:31 AM »
Dallas/Fort Worth, which is in Texas(you probably knew, but just to make sure) has starting teacher salaries of $52,000 and plenty of openings. You could start with that and then move into whatever career interests you. Dallas is a big city and virtually any career would be available. Climate would be moderate, four seasons, but the winters are not like the Midwest.

Slow2FIRE

• Bristles
« Reply #58 on: June 13, 2018, 02:12:30 PM »
I grew up in Minnesota, so I have lived through winters my whole life, so I am biased, but I think people make them out to be worse than they actually are. If you work and live downtown, we have skyway system which is a bunch of connected tunnels between the buildings, so you could never step foot outside if you wanted during the winter :)

Don't be fooled. It's dang cold.

Signed,

A Wisconsinite

Maybe I’m just desensitized :), but I guess you learn to live with it

...this reminds me of how many Phoenix natives (or those who have lived in Phoenix for 15+ years) like to claim that it isn't bad and it's only hot for 1 or 2 months in Phoenix -> which I didn't find to be true at all having just moved to the Phoenix area from cooler parts of the US (the 2 years I spent in Phoenix showed me that it is unbearably hot for 1 to 2 months and really dang hot for an additional 3-4 months)

HBFIRE

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #59 on: June 13, 2018, 06:13:12 PM »

...this reminds me of how many Phoenix natives (or those who have lived in Phoenix for 15+ years) like to claim that it isn't bad and it's only hot for 1 or 2 months in Phoenix -> which I didn't find to be true at all having just moved to the Phoenix area from cooler parts of the US (the 2 years I spent in Phoenix showed me that it is unbearably hot for 1 to 2 months and really dang hot for an additional 3-4 months)

OH man, sorry.  I lived there for a few years, it is HELL.  Even during the few months it cools down, it's still really hot.  Basically unbearable from May - Sept and hot for the rest.  That combined with everything being beige was depressing.