Author Topic: Being Anonymous - Maybe it's not for me...  (Read 31690 times)

Loren Ver

• CM*MW 2023 Attendees
  • Handlebar Stache
  • I Retired. Yah!
Re: Being Anonymous - Maybe it's not for me...
« Reply #100 on: May 12, 2019, 07:11:00 PM »
Two jobs ago, back when I had the power to hire and fire members of my team, I absolutely took a look at candidates' online presence when deciding who I wanted to invite in for face to face interviews.  I'm close enough to FIRE now that I'm not worried I'd lose a chance at a dream job over a MMM forums post, but having made snap judgments about strangers on the internet, I'm absolutely aware that strangers on the internet are making snap judgments about me. 

Staying anonymous in as many online arenas as I can allows me a measure of comfort in being able to be my whole self. IRL most of us  play down (or outright don't mention) aspects of our lives as a sort of social lubricant.  I'm lucky enough to know people across all sorts of spectrums and tend not to talk about [attribute not possessed by people I'm talking with] when socializing with [group that enjoys an aspect of my life unrelated to that attribute] mostly for simplicity sake and in some cases out of respect for the people I'm talking to.

Here on MMM forums every aspect of our lives can and may come under scrutiny on path to FIRE.  I'd rather not have someone follow me here from another arena and put all the pieces together IRL. YMMV

So, silly question, how do people that google others deal with common or slightly common names?  It is no longer relevant to me as I am now FIRED, but when I was working people would google my name, and my linkedin would come up, but so would info about someone that wasn't me that was in a really strange band. People would ask if it was me since there was no location of anyway to distinguish the band.   Would a person hiring just assume that was also me since my name isn't particularly common?

LV

2Cent

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #101 on: May 13, 2019, 02:44:23 AM »
Two jobs ago, back when I had the power to hire and fire members of my team, I absolutely took a look at candidates' online presence when deciding who I wanted to invite in for face to face interviews.
It's this kind of reasonable fair-minded nonjudgmental behaviour from managers makes me glad I'm self-employed.
Managers are asked to decide someone's fate depending on a 1 hour talk. I would appreciate a manager that actually takes the time to look into candidates. My experience is that in large firms often they didn't bother to even read my CV, or even the job description. Also, managers often look for people that fit into the team. Things like your Facebook profile are perfect to see what kind of person you are and what kind of people you make friends with.

Having said that, there are plenty of news reports about people getting fired for saying something offensive on social media. Even there are stories about people making slightly racist or homophobic comments online in their teens that get into trouble later. Once some easily offended group get you in their cross-hairs it can be a nightmare. Like: https://www.smoothradio.com/news/entertainment/soaps/shila-iqbal-tweets-sacked-emmerdale/

chasesfish

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #102 on: May 13, 2019, 05:16:43 AM »
I'm one of those FIREy people now and I like being semi-anonymous.  I've used my first name in a recent podcast and marketwatch article, but prefer not to use my last name.  Some people can figure it out if they really want to.

DadJokes

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #103 on: May 13, 2019, 10:40:44 AM »
Two jobs ago, back when I had the power to hire and fire members of my team, I absolutely took a look at candidates' online presence when deciding who I wanted to invite in for face to face interviews.  I'm close enough to FIRE now that I'm not worried I'd lose a chance at a dream job over a MMM forums post, but having made snap judgments about strangers on the internet, I'm absolutely aware that strangers on the internet are making snap judgments about me. 

Staying anonymous in as many online arenas as I can allows me a measure of comfort in being able to be my whole self. IRL most of us  play down (or outright don't mention) aspects of our lives as a sort of social lubricant.  I'm lucky enough to know people across all sorts of spectrums and tend not to talk about [attribute not possessed by people I'm talking with] when socializing with [group that enjoys an aspect of my life unrelated to that attribute] mostly for simplicity sake and in some cases out of respect for the people I'm talking to.

Here on MMM forums every aspect of our lives can and may come under scrutiny on path to FIRE.  I'd rather not have someone follow me here from another arena and put all the pieces together IRL. YMMV

So, silly question, how do people that google others deal with common or slightly common names?  It is no longer relevant to me as I am now FIRED, but when I was working people would google my name, and my linkedin would come up, but so would info about someone that wasn't me that was in a really strange band. People would ask if it was me since there was no location of anyway to distinguish the band.   Would a person hiring just assume that was also me since my name isn't particularly common?

LV

In a systems class in college a few years ago, the professor began the first class by talking about the dangers of what we post online. As an example, he asked for a volunteer, whom he would find with Google. I volunteered, knowing he would never find me because of my extremely common name. Sure enough, after five minutes, he asked for a different volunteer. When I apply for jobs, I provide my LinkedIn url. Even if they could find me on other forms of social media, there isn't anything available publicly.

There is definitely some benefit to having a common name, and I think parents today lose sight of that fact when trying to give their children particularly unique names.

sol

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #104 on: May 13, 2019, 10:57:19 AM »
I have a professional doppelganger, a man with the same name and a similar academic pedigree, from another coast, working in a vaguely related field.  Bastard took all of the good name-based email addresses and URLs in like 1999.  So there are at least some downsides to having a common name.  You're never going to get JohnSmith@gmail.com as your email address, but you might get LamierVanderSaant@gmail.com or something equivalently weird if that's your real name.

I also threw out a resume once simply because of the email address itself.  Think codedbutstillinappropriatesexualcommentaboutminors@something.com

I used to attend a school where the standard email issue policy was your first initial plus the first seven letters of your last name, to get get standardized eight character email addresses.  Friend of mine was named Tim Watson, and was issued twatson@theschool.edu.  He never bothered to change it.

DadJokes

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #105 on: May 13, 2019, 11:06:26 AM »
you can just add a few numbers after your name, and you're set. I have my anniversary after my name for my personal email address and my professional designation after my name for my business email address. I'm quite surprised that one was available, but I guess that there aren't too many hispanic CPAs.

ysette9

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #106 on: May 13, 2019, 09:24:27 PM »
you can just add a few numbers after your name, and you're set. I have my anniversary after my name for my personal email address and my professional designation after my name for my business email address. I'm quite surprised that one was available, but I guess that there aren't too many hispanic CPAs.
Maybe it is just me, but numbers still feel a bit 1990s. Rhere is the shift from random screename123@hotmail to Firstname.Lastname@gmail as this internet thing becomes more mainstream and we all mature our online presence. But I suppose there aren’t enough email addresses to go around for common names. I had to add my middle name into my latest gmail address when I started job hunting and wanted a grown-up email.

Blueberries

• Stubble
« Reply #107 on: May 14, 2019, 10:13:44 AM »
I've been online for 20 years and I've always preferred anonymity. 

LV

My spouse has an unusual name and the only other person online with the same exact name has a highly sexualized career.  Not great for my spouse who is in a very professional, niche field in which some public work is part of it.  We were extremely lucky to grab the domain name when it expired some years ago.

NorCal

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #108 on: May 14, 2019, 12:36:03 PM »

LV
[/quote]

I've personally had some problems with this.  I have a particularly uncommon last name, with two other people in the US having the exact same name as me (that I'm aware of).

A google search for my name brings up:
1. My professional LinkedIn Profile
2. A Mugshots.com profile showing three arrests in Mississippi and one in Louisiana (not me).  This person even has the same middle name as I do.
3. A Myspace page that looks like it was built by a 13 year old stoner (also not me)
4. Championships and awards for winning multiple cyberdarts championships (I have no idea what cyberdarts are)

I'm certain my resume has been passed over at some point because of this.

BlueHouse

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #109 on: June 04, 2019, 03:05:06 PM »
My brother interviewed a man who showed up with a stack of legal documents showing that he did NOT have a criminal pedo record.  It seems someone unhappy with the guy posted pedo lies about him and the first things that showed up in a google search on the guy's name were warnings on internet forums that said basically:  "Mister X took pics of and followed my two children.  story goes on.... Do yourself a favor and call Detective XYZ at the Smithville Police Department, Phone number 123-4567 and ask him about it." 

The number was real, but the detective never worked at the police department and the story was apparently completely fabricated.  The man tried everything to get the police to stop the accuser, tried to get google to change its algorithms, tried to get the internet forums to remove the false stories.  At the time (this was at least 8 years ago), no one would do anything and it completely destroyed the guy.  He finally legally changed his name (he had a new name by the time my brother interviewed him, but he brought all the documentation with him to explain why there was no history of this new name person). 

The whole story terrified me.  There are evil people out there who think its fun or reasonable to destroy someone else. 

BudgetSlasher

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #110 on: June 30, 2019, 12:54:05 PM »

LV

If operating it could be difficult (especially without middle name, I have a common first and last name, but not so much on the middle name). Knowing my full name you makes it easier to find some things, but makes finding names of family and associates much easier.

But a job application often contains a lot of addition information home address, phone number (unless you have a dedicated Google Voice number for job materials), email (unless you have a dedicated email for job applications), and places of education just to name a few.

For someone who doesn't carefully curate their online presence that might be enough to start to narrow the field quickly.

For example, common name person says they went to X school and were class of Y, that can narrow down social media searches. Or as a real world one I just pulled up a friend from college using name and school name and have a pretty good idea of their religious positions now (not that I didn't already know), a few pictures, and a link to their facebook.

Even limiting online presence,If you were to take my phone number and place it into google, you would be treated to a former voter registration (courtesy of public records and a company that requested them) that would give you a former home address, my age, ethnicity, political affiliation (or lack thereof). Using that old address I can quickly find the last 5 or 6 places I have lived.

Taking an old email address that I have had for 20+ years and googling it turns up a newsletter from a model club I was in as a early teenager.

Taking another old friend's long used email address, I am able to find a few forum posts (on the type of forum that posted emails in plain text back in the day) and a forum username that he apparently uses still to this day on other boards. It gives me a pretty good picture of what is politics and hobbies have become.

Uncommon names and an additional piece of information make things really easy.

powskier

• Bristles
« Reply #111 on: July 03, 2019, 12:04:22 AM »
People seem to think that they are only interacting with the nice people on the forum.
People should think about the millions of lurkers who are watching, reading.
People should be concerned about the thousands of wackos who are actively trying to find out who you are, where you live and who you know, and how they can take advantage of you.

Personally I liked the world better pre internet when you could chose who to interact with, and all the wackos in their Moms basements couldn't strategize with the like minded. So yeah, being anonymous has some value in terms of making it easier to avoid the newly empowered nut jobs.
Just because YOU can't imagine what could be so bad about "being discovered" doesn't mean you should tempt fate.

Just Joe

• Walrus Stache
  • Teach me something.
« Reply #112 on: July 09, 2019, 01:25:58 PM »
Compartmentalize your professional life and your hobby life. Different emails.

One for professionally sensitive communications, listed on my resume. Related to my name.
One for personal anything goes comms with friends and family. Made up name.
One to give to SPAM but when you need to register to see an article. Made up name.
One for work and only for work and provided by my employer. A long ago coworker used theirs too casually and it contributed to their dismissal. Bawdy messages or something. Others I work with now get so much chaff in their email b/c they too use it casually they miss the important stuff occasionally. Not smart IMHO.

Emails addresses are free. Get one for every occasion.

No reason to use anything but a "handle" except for official or very important communications. Me knowing your real name or vice versa accomplishes little. Not sure I'm willing to give up my anonymity even if it silences a few obnoxious bullies. Look at Facebook. 

Kyle Schuant

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #113 on: July 09, 2019, 10:03:24 PM »
People should be concerned about the thousands of wackos who are actively trying to find out who you are, where you live and who you know, and how they can take advantage of you.

Personally I liked the world better pre internet when you could chose who to interact with
You seem to imagine that identity theft, fraud, stalking and so on did not happen before modems existed.

Linea_Norway

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #114 on: July 10, 2019, 06:45:46 AM »
DH asked me why I was using anonymity on this forum, whether it was still relevant. As we plan to give notice at work in a couple of months, it wouldn't have any serious consequences for work.

I also think that the few people who I have told about my FIRE plans could recognise me on this forum. I wouldn't mind that. But I wouldn't like the google search on my uncommon name turn up a mega load of hits of everything I have ever written on the internet. There are already a few hits (if very innocent things) that are forever connected to my name on an internet search. A bit uncomfortable, as these are such minor things that I would rather have presented myself differently. To solve that, I should have been blogging, or using facebook with all messages open for everyone. Then that would become the top list of hits on my name.

Maybe we'll do it someday if we feel like making money off something. Then having an open blog might be a good idea. For the rest, being mostly anonymous feels good.

RyanAtTanagra

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #115 on: July 10, 2019, 10:44:46 AM »
There are already a few hits (if very innocent things) that are forever connected to my name on an internet search.

I know this is the belief of the internet, that everything is around forever, but all the really old things that used to be attached to my name don't show up anymore.  So, if it's old stuff, it'll probably drop off eventually.  If you can remove the source (forum/blog posts, etc), that helps speed it up.

RyanAtTanagra

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #116 on: July 10, 2019, 01:01:19 PM »
There are already a few hits (if very innocent things) that are forever connected to my name on an internet search.

I know this is the belief of the internet, that everything is around forever, but all the really old things that used to be attached to my name don't show up anymore.  So, if it's old stuff, it'll probably drop off eventually.  If you can remove the source (forum/blog posts, etc), that helps speed it up.
I think that's true if you have a lot of newer stuff posted online in your real name. However if you stopped using your real name online like I did years ago, some very old things come up on the first page of a Google search of your name. I have a unusual name so stuff from pre-historic internet times crop up. I just googled my real name and saw stuff from the early 2000's. Back then we were all young and stupid about the internet and didn't realize it could all come back to haunt us decades later.

I have very little under my real name, even new stuff (I'm not on facebook/twitter/insta/whatever), but there are a couple other me's that are a little more active, so their stuff comes up mixed in with mine.  But I've tried to find the older search results and can't, so I think they're just gone.

Just Joe

• Walrus Stache
  • Teach me something.
« Reply #117 on: July 11, 2019, 09:35:42 AM »
I just checked an a long email I traded with a fellow discussing hobby stuff is still there from the late 1990s. He unexpectedly took the email and made it in an article on how to DIY stuff related to our shared hobby. Very amateur reading now and it is posted with my real name. Everything has changed so much since then the info is barely relevant.

markbike528CBX

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #118 on: July 11, 2019, 11:22:29 AM »
.......One to give to SPAM but when you need to register to see an article. Made up name.   ......

I hope that the preson(s) at F$&!@F$&!.com can forgive me for using their email address.
But I'm not the only one, got a "Email already used" message.

FIREstache

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #119 on: July 11, 2019, 11:44:39 AM »

I think that's true if you have a lot of newer stuff posted online in your real name. However if you stopped using your real name online like I did years ago, some very old things come up on the first page of a Google search of your name. I have a unusual name so stuff from pre-historic internet times crop up. I just googled my real name and saw stuff from the early 2000's. Back then we were all young and stupid about the internet and didn't realize it could all come back to haunt us decades later.

I first had my own internet connection around 1994, when few people had it, before all these privacy concerns were really discussed, but I always had that internal mechanism to maintain my privacy, and I remained anonymous from the beginning, using fake names and such, different email addresses, different usernames on different forums, USENET, etc., and I still don't have a Facebook account.  Google doesn't show much for me.

k-vette

• Bristles
    • Bolton Ebikes
« Reply #120 on: July 31, 2019, 10:00:16 AM »
Well as I pass 14,000 YT subscribers I'd say I'm definitely not anonymous at this point....  But it's been great for business!