Author Topic: Article - They sold everything and bought a boat.. It sank on day 2  (Read 14782 times)

jim555

• Magnum Stache
I hope they have a backup plan, doesn't sound like it.

http://www.tampabay.com/sold-everything-to-sail-the-world-boat-sank-next-day

PDXTabs

• Walrus Stache
Re: Article - They sold everything and bought a boat.. It sank on day 2
« Reply #1 on: February 11, 2018, 04:24:38 PM »
They had no insurance.

chasesfish

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #2 on: February 11, 2018, 04:29:49 PM »
I saw that....insane.

And how do you own a house you can't afford to replace without insurance?

abhe8

• Bristles
« Reply #3 on: February 11, 2018, 04:50:00 PM »
Wow. How did they have NO money? How were they planning to eat or feed their dog while sailing around?

Zamboni

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #4 on: February 11, 2018, 05:03:18 PM »
It seems like maybe they had this dream of sailing from port to port, docking to work tables for while or something?

In any case, their plan definitely did not seem very solid . . .

SC93

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #5 on: February 11, 2018, 05:41:01 PM »
That's about the same plan, difference scenario, lots of people have..... none. I used to not plan 1 minute ahead.

Bateaux

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #6 on: February 11, 2018, 06:23:37 PM »
Pretty much gave up on the boat living idea after last hurricane season.   So fragile.   Even with insurance you lose a lot.

shunkman

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #7 on: February 11, 2018, 07:07:46 PM »
Sounds like inexperience and poor navigation skills. Boating safely can be as much of a challenge as flying an aircraft only there is no license required for boating.

Bateaux

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #8 on: February 11, 2018, 08:53:36 PM »
That old boat and their level of experience does not allow for insurance.

SC93

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #9 on: February 11, 2018, 09:01:43 PM »
Still, 5k cost + 5k repairs. Not as if it's the end of the world.

Also, don't people usually get insurance on the thing that is 100% of their NW?

With what money?

the_fixer

• Handlebar Stache
  • mind on my money money on my mind
« Reply #10 on: February 11, 2018, 10:25:47 PM »
The cost of insurance that would repair / replace the boat would likely not be worth it by the time you got a fresh survey, made the required repairs and paid the premiums.

Pretty common with older budget boats.

Right or wrong at least they had the courage to cast off the lines and give it a go many have failed but there have also been some epic journeys that have started out that way.

https://youtu.be/lAye0mf2A8g

https://youtu.be/2lwbHYOFD-4

Sent from my Pixel 2 XL using Tapatalk
« Last Edit: February 11, 2018, 11:25:00 PM by the_fixer »

edgema

• Stubble
« Reply #11 on: February 12, 2018, 04:33:15 AM »
Since the success of youtube channels like La Vagabonde there have been many people showcasing 'a sailing life' and many doing so successfully. Could I ask what is the point you are making in posting this? It is a genuine question.

I with the_fixer as mostly I am not sympathetic to people doing silly things with poor planning, but at least they got up off the couch and had a crack at doing something. Hopefully this event won't stop them trying again, but that next time they will plan things an awful lot better. I would have thought it more appropriate for this site to post something with a title 'silly people continue to work 70 hour weeks to finance new Range Rover and larger house'.

Most people sailing overcome inexperience with conscientiousness and caution (it is their life at stake after all) but that clearly appears to have not been the case here;

"was about 8:45 p.m. when they sailed into a new port, navigating a channel they had never sailed before, in the dark, fog rolling in. Broadwell steered while Walsh stood at the bow, lighting their path with a spotlight, trying to figure out the navigational buoys. But the red and green buoys seemed out of place, they said, and the shoal wasn’t where their 2016-17 navigational charts said it should be. Had Hurricane Irma altered the channel?"

There is a lot wrong in that sentence. Another young youtube couple managed to crash their mast into a rising bridge and wrote off the boat doing so. However, most don't and have an incredible time.

We are a family of four and going sailing is definitely part of our post FIRE plans starting Summer 2019. Buying the boat is clearly not the most Mustachian, but the lifestyle can be. You become hyper aware of all sorts of elements of lifestyle inflation that 'Western Life' takes for granted,

. Energy usage - If diesel, solar panels and wind generators are your source of power, you soon start to appreciate it.
. Provisioning - You have to meal plan and batch shop.
. Thoughtless consumerism - You are removed and don't have the space for most of these temptations.
. Waste - You know exactly how much you are throwing away as you have to get in a dingy and take it to shore. Not to mention the plastic waste you will see in the oceans (don't get me started on plastic...).

I could list others.

For me, sailing ticks a lot of the boxes around the fears people have (and me) about what they will do with the time they have after retiring. For goal oriented people, which almost by definition everyone on this forum is, then you are replacing the FIRE goal with the complicated, challenging and fun goal of taking your family to see some of the world from a somewhat different perspective. I want my kids to retain perspective and remain amazed that you can fly from London to New York in 7 hours when it would take you three weeks to sail.

You also, I think, have a chance to develop new skills, becoming navigator, teacher, diesel engine engineer, electrician, plumber (gulp!), carpenter, seamsmith, and that's not including the 'fun' skills.   

frugalecon

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #12 on: February 12, 2018, 04:37:03 AM »
I worry about the safety of the pug. He didn’t get a vote on their bone-headed plan.

ReadySetMillionaire

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #13 on: February 12, 2018, 06:33:29 AM »
I'm just in awe at how stupid these people are.

boarder42

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #14 on: February 12, 2018, 07:19:59 AM »
i'm sorry but those supporting this couple are nuts. they "sold all the owned" which amounted to 5k to buy the boat - i dont care if its a cool FIRE decision many around here are making or not the couple is obviously very poor at planning - take the cool boat out of it and read the rest of the article and you've got a couple who only owned 5k worth of stuff in their life which means they were wasting piles of money.  If this story was more along the lines of how an intelligent FIREee would look at this and approach it i'd have more sympathy.  But they were clearly not very good at life prior to buying this boat and then sinking it.

edgema

• Stubble
« Reply #15 on: February 12, 2018, 07:50:49 AM »
Boarder42, I don't think anyone is supporting what they did. My question is what has it got to do with anything? Paraphrasing your own statement "if this story were anything to to with Mustachianism then..." but it isn't. Not my place to police what people want to talk about here, I just don't understand what the original post was getting at, rather than a slightly nasty 'look at these idiots' finger pointing at a couple of people who tried to have an adventure and messed up. Look I don't think this debate has legs, just providing my two pennies worth.

the_fixer

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #16 on: February 12, 2018, 08:23:36 AM »
I have often thought if I had to do it all over again that I would explore / adventure more while young and work in my later years. The way we approach work / retirement here in the US has always seemed backwards working most of your life to get a few years at the end of your life where you are tired and broken down.

MMM is the safe middle ground where if you get onboard while young you will have some financial security and health to enjoy many years doing things you want but not everyone is aware of it or drinks the kool aid.

For the other 99% of the people in the US that are not on board with the MMM lifestyle I would applaud any young person that can see that the way we think of retirement is jacked and has the courage to walk away from the societal norm and strike out on a grand adventure.

When you are young is the time to live, you have less worries about health insurance, stability and the fears that are beat into you over your life.

I wish I had listened to the demons in my head when I was a 17 year old homeless surf bum sleeping in my car and planning to explore the world looking for the perfect surf spot.

Watch this video and see what your thoughts are after

https://youtu.be/ibP5IQxId34

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
« Last Edit: February 12, 2018, 08:51:12 AM by the_fixer »

Turnbull

• Stubble
« Reply #17 on: February 12, 2018, 10:19:58 AM »
I worked for an insurance company for a while and we insured numerous $5k and/or old boats. Not sure why people are saying insurance would be impossible or hard to get unless it makes a difference that it would be in salt water (most of our insured boats were fresh water).

Maybe the industry has changed since I left but when I read this article I never once thought that they wouldn't have been able to get insurance if they had wanted it.

Bateaux

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #18 on: February 12, 2018, 10:33:32 AM »
I worked for an insurance company for a while and we insured numerous $5k and/or old boats. Not sure why people are saying insurance would be impossible or hard to get unless it makes a difference that it would be in salt water (most of our insured boats were fresh water).

Maybe the industry has changed since I left but when I read this article I never once thought that they wouldn't have been able to get insurance if they had wanted it.

You can insure them, bit there are many levels of insurance.   It is largely dependent upon the level of experience of the operator, where it will be used, how far offshore and the results of a marine survey.  But yes, much more complicated than freshwater.

Cromacster

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #19 on: February 12, 2018, 10:59:31 AM »
I have often thought if I had to do it all over again that I would explore / adventure more while young and work in my later years. The way we approach work / retirement here in the US has always seemed backwards working most of your life to get a few years at the end of your life where you are tired and broken down.

MMM is the safe middle ground where if you get onboard while young you will have some financial security and health to enjoy many years doing things you want but not everyone is aware of it or drinks the kool aid.

For the other 99% of the people in the US that are not on board with the MMM lifestyle I would applaud any young person that can see that the way we think of retirement is jacked and has the courage to walk away from the societal norm and strike out on a grand adventure.

When you are young is the time to live, you have less worries about health insurance, stability and the fears that are beat into you over your life.

I wish I had listened to the demons in my head when I was a 17 year old homeless surf bum sleeping in my car and planning to explore the world looking for the perfect surf spot.

Watch this video and see what your thoughts are after

https://youtu.be/ibP5IQxId34

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Love that documentary!  Great even if you aren't into sailing.

ender

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #20 on: February 12, 2018, 11:21:23 AM »
I have a hard time feeling sorry for people who clearly didn't know what they are doing having exactly what is expected happening to them.

Cowardly Toaster

• Bristles
    • My MMM Forum Journal
« Reply #21 on: February 12, 2018, 01:12:31 PM »
Sounds like inexperience and poor navigation skills. Boating safely can be as much of a challenge as flying an aircraft only there is no license required for boating.

There's more planes in the sea than boats in the sky... but jokes aside you are quite correct. The sea can be a cruel place.

jlcnuke

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #22 on: February 12, 2018, 01:31:40 PM »
I have a hard time feeling sorry for people who clearly didn't know what they are doing having exactly what is expected happening to them.

One of the mantras in most industries is to ask "what could go wrong?" before starting something and the minimize the chances of those happenings. These people demonstrated why that's a good idea in real life too as the outcome was quite predictable when you take the number of risk factors they intentionally exposed themselves to and thus see the compounded risk... inexperienced people sailing, sailing at night, sailing in poor conditions, sailing without assistance, sailing in an unfamiliar area, not researching the area they were going to sail (tons of warnings about that area's waterway conditions have been out for months), not having insurance, not having adequate funds for their planned journey, etc etc

Yeah, a blind squirrel could have seen this possibility.

FIRE Artist

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #23 on: February 12, 2018, 01:39:25 PM »
This should be in the anti-Mustachian hall of shame.  The article claims that they have $90 to their name.  Yes, that was $90, no missing zeros there.  They were going off to pursue their dream will all of $90 in their pocket.  How exactly were they planning to pay for gas, food and mooring fees? 

They are better off getting sunk before they got started. 

GuitarStv

• Senior Mustachian
« Reply #24 on: February 12, 2018, 01:53:50 PM »

+1

It kinda feels like they may have averted tragedy here . . .

Zamboni

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #25 on: February 12, 2018, 02:04:18 PM »
Yes, this is a good cautionary tale.

The sailboat life probably has the same glamorous pull as the RV life . . . and, from what I've heard, plenty of full time RV'ers end up with a vacant look in their eyes when they realize that life still costs more money than they had planned.

To me, the main reason this belongs on this forum is that clearly this couple did not even do the basic financial exercise of figuring out how much money they would need. That's the first thing people point out here on new case studies . . . many of the posted cases have unexplained leakage, or emergencies that aren't really emergencies that keep people debt slaves. For most of us working stiffs, outflow needs to be tracked carefully for at least 3 months before you even try to do anything. Sailing is not free, and you will run out of food eventually.

CheapskateWife

• Handlebar Stache
  • Location: Hill Country, TX - Being a blueberry in the Tomato Soup
  • FIRE'd and Loving it!
« Reply #26 on: February 12, 2018, 02:12:39 PM »

+1

This is a perspective I share...clearly the crisis in a place where they could be rescued is preferable to a terrible tale of them being found on their boat dead from starvation or some other awful fate.  They are still young (and dumb) and will probably make more mistakes going forward :)

Cowardly Toaster

• Bristles
    • My MMM Forum Journal
« Reply #27 on: February 12, 2018, 02:39:19 PM »
This should be in the anti-Mustachian hall of shame.  The article claims that they have $90 to their name.  Yes, that was $90, no missing zeros there.  They were going off to pursue their dream will all of $90 in their pocket.  How exactly were they planning to pay for gas, food and mooring fees? 

Sailing, the art of slowly going nowhere at great expense.

Cromacster

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #28 on: February 12, 2018, 02:41:37 PM »

Sailing, the art of slowly going nowhere at great expense.

Also fondly referred to as "boat maintenance in exotic places"

Kyle Schuant

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #29 on: February 12, 2018, 03:21:02 PM »
At the ages of 24 and 26, they'd had enough of working. Just let that sink in (haha) a bit.

At the ages of 24 and 26, when they sold everything they had $10,000.

Something tells me they'll still be working - and doing gofundmes! - at 75. That is, if they don't blow their gofundme money on another boat, in which case next time they go out they won't come back.

I with the_fixer as mostly I am not sympathetic to people doing silly things with poor planning, but at least they got up off the couch and had a crack at doing something.
There was a man who wanted to fly, he decided to jump off a cliff and figured he'd learn halfway down, it didn't work out well for him. But at least he got up off the couch and had a crack at something!

The 7 Ps, boys and girls. Proper preparation and planning prevents piss-poor performance. How about some sailing lessons? Work on a fishing boat one season, get fishing experience and earn some money.

Undecided

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #30 on: February 12, 2018, 09:02:34 PM »
I hope someone takes the Pug away before they hurt it.

I have trouble understanding why anyone would contribute to their GoFundMe.

the_fixer

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #31 on: February 12, 2018, 09:41:52 PM »
Totally against the go fund me :(

tj

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #32 on: February 12, 2018, 10:10:20 PM »

The backup plan is get bailed out by suckers on GoFundMe:

https://www.gofundme.com/new-sailing-life

I have trouble understanding why anyone would contribute to their GoFundMe.

People hate their working lives, so they want to live vicariously through someone else. That's the only logical reason.
« Last Edit: February 12, 2018, 10:13:07 PM by tj »

edgema

• Stubble
« Reply #33 on: February 13, 2018, 12:47:44 AM »
I should leave this alone ....

First let me say I neither support what they did, or the funding handouts that they now seek, but wow this is a tough crowd.

We are a self selected group of somewhat obsessive planners so their lack of planning jars with us and I get that. Maybe we are not the most carefree group and it pisses us off a little to see others who can do something like this, however poorly planned. Maybe we quite like seeing them fall on their face because it supports our approach of patience and hyper planning.

Yes they did something stupid, but the real idiots are the tens of millions of people over 60 in both the UK and US that have absolutely no savings for retirement in my view.

Maybe these two are heading that way, but they at least were looking at a simple mustachian style of life rather than debt after debt after debt. They actually had one foot in the right camp. Rather than criticise I would like to speak to them and say 'you had some good ideas, here is how you might execute better'

Maybe I am just grumpy at the lack of any empathy in the group. No one here did anything stupid in their early 20s? I for one drove a car too fast and into a tree and might not be here in another universe...

AnnaGrowsAMustache

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #34 on: February 13, 2018, 01:59:41 AM »
I should leave this alone ....

First let me say I neither support what they did, or the funding handouts that they now seek, but wow this is a tough crowd.

We are a self selected group of somewhat obsessive planners so their lack of planning jars with us and I get that. Maybe we are not the most carefree group and it pisses us off a little to see others who can do something like this, however poorly planned. Maybe we quite like seeing them fall on their face because it supports our approach of patience and hyper planning.

Yes they did something stupid, but the real idiots are the tens of millions of people over 60 in both the UK and US that have absolutely no savings for retirement in my view.

Maybe these two are heading that way, but they at least were looking at a simple mustachian style of life rather than debt after debt after debt. They actually had one foot in the right camp. Rather than criticise I would like to speak to them and say 'you had some good ideas, here is how you might execute better'

Maybe I am just grumpy at the lack of any empathy in the group. No one here did anything stupid in their early 20s? I for one drove a car too fast and into a tree and might not be here in another universe...

I understand your point of view, and I think the reason that those without retirement savings aren't treated with the same astonishment is that they're ubiquitous! The sailing pair have the same mentality but their method of expressing that was astounding in it's complete idiocy. They leaped before they looked, in the most ridiculous way.

Kyle Schuant

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #35 on: February 13, 2018, 05:32:47 AM »
Maybe I am just grumpy at the lack of any empathy in the group. No one here did anything stupid in their early 20s?
I did many stupid things. Once each. They're planning on a second go.

When I blew through money, I didn't put my hand out crying poor.

The issue is not their doing something obviously stupid, it's that they're repeating it, and panhandling rather than shifting for themselves.

I for one drove a car too fast and into a tree and might not be here in another universe...
Did you crash into a tree a second time? Did you ask people to donate so you could get another car and drive in the same reckless way again? Or did you learn from your experience and work hard to earn back what you'd lost?

Villanelle

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #36 on: February 13, 2018, 05:36:50 AM »
Boarder42, I don't think anyone is supporting what they did. My question is what has it got to do with anything? Paraphrasing your own statement "if this story were anything to to with Mustachianism then..." but it isn't. Not my place to police what people want to talk about here, I just don't understand what the original post was getting at, rather than a slightly nasty 'look at these idiots' finger pointing at a couple of people who tried to have an adventure and messed up. Look I don't think this debate has legs, just providing my two pennies worth.

I don't see how these people are really much different than the average consumer sucka.  Instead of making thoughtful, careful choices and leading a well-examined life, they set out to live a life they didn't understand and had not fully considered.  They just *did*, acting on impulse, rather than thinking and planning and considering.  How is that significantly different than someone just acting by purchasing a shiny new SUV and a McMansion? 

CheapskateWife

• Handlebar Stache
  • Location: Hill Country, TX - Being a blueberry in the Tomato Soup
  • FIRE'd and Loving it!
« Reply #37 on: February 13, 2018, 08:09:51 AM »
Their GoFundMe is up to $14K in 4 days...maybe they aren't the stupid ones.

Just Joe

• Walrus Stache
  • Teach me something.
« Reply #38 on: February 13, 2018, 09:12:17 AM »
I've dreamed of the same sailing adventure and have a tiny bit of experience with sailboats. I'd spend 6 months working, and taking daily trips out into the coastal area with the boat - sail an hour out and an hour back.

Sort through its any maintenance issues and build experience. I can't imagine what they would have done in a storm.

Sailing on the ocean is not like steering a pontoon boat around a lake. 

I want to do some big projects at our house this year. I think I'll go start a GoFundMe. ;)

Helvegen

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #39 on: February 13, 2018, 09:27:34 AM »
Their GoFundMe is up to $14K in 4 days...maybe they aren't the stupid ones.

I think they are professional grifters.

Acastus

• Bristles
« Reply #40 on: February 13, 2018, 09:37:57 AM »
Saw this on FB. The boat cost $5k. They sold everything to buy it.
A:  What kind of boat can you get for 5k?
B:  $5k was your life savings and you thought you could retire?

the_fixer

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #41 on: February 13, 2018, 09:53:15 AM »
It sounds like they did have some experience.

"His father helped them sail along the Gulf Coast, from Alabama to Panama City. That’s how the couple learned how to sail"

Then they sailed the boat to Tarpon Springs (a good distance) where they worked on the boat.

After fixing up the boat they headed out that is when they ran into issues.

Typical click bait reporting that makes it sound more sensational.

« Last Edit: February 13, 2018, 10:03:31 AM by the_fixer »

FINate

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #42 on: February 13, 2018, 10:03:10 AM »
B:  $5k was your life savings and you thought you could retire?

So judgmental! They are entitled to live their dream even if it means other people have to fund it! </sarcasm>

I wonder if any of the $14k GoFundMe will be used to pay for the cost of rescuing them and cleaning up their wreck?

FIRE Artist

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #43 on: February 13, 2018, 11:02:55 AM »
they at least were looking at a simple mustachian style of life rather than debt after debt after debt. They actually had one foot in the right camp.

I'm pulling this out as I have seen what I consider to be alternative definitions of Mustachianism being used lately on the forum which I don't think is positive for the movement, and definitely not for those being mislead.   

Mustachianism = Financial Independence through Badassity. 

Living at or in this case, below the poverty line with no reserve funds is not being financially independent and certainly isn't badass by most definitions.  This isn't Mustachianism.  Perhaps equating this type of lifestyle to Mustachianism or romanticising it as something exciting and adventurous is steering some young people in the wrong direction. 
« Last Edit: February 13, 2018, 11:06:12 AM by FIRE Artist »

NoraLenderbee

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #44 on: February 13, 2018, 03:12:50 PM »

https://forum.mrmoneymustache.com/antimustachian-wall-of-shame-and-comedy/couple-sells-everything-for-boat-it-sinks-on-day-2/

Kyle Schuant

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #45 on: February 13, 2018, 04:22:14 PM »
I don't see how these people are really much different than the average consumer sucka. 
The average consumer sucka does not risk getting killed by their poor consumer choices.

GuitarStv

• Senior Mustachian
« Reply #46 on: February 13, 2018, 06:58:21 PM »
I don't see how these people are really much different than the average consumer sucka. 
The average consumer sucka does not risk getting killed by their poor consumer choices.

Well, the average consumer sucka drives an SUV more likely to flip over in a crash because it 'feels' safer, eats shit processed food that gives him heart disease, and works a job that stresses him out, spends a lot of time on the road commuting to afford a McMansion, etc. so . . . meh.

BTDretire

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #47 on: February 13, 2018, 07:17:55 PM »

+1

I lost some friends, RoseMary, David and their 17 yr old son just 5 years ago to the sea.
The left on an around the world trip in 2011, they were lost to a storm between New Zealand and Australia in 2013.
They were experience sailors lost with the 1926 famous sailing yacht,  The Nina.
 Rosemary was a special person, and missed dearly.

dbm

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #48 on: February 13, 2018, 10:29:23 PM »

Did no one think this was karma for selling time shares?  Their "holiday" dream ruined, after suckering other people with holiday dreams into time shares...

No, no one?  Just me then...

Kyle Schuant

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #49 on: February 13, 2018, 11:28:58 PM »
Well, the average consumer sucka drives an SUV more likely to flip over in a crash because it 'feels' safer, eats shit processed food that gives him heart disease, and works a job that stresses him out, spends a lot of time on the road commuting to afford a McMansion, etc. so . . . meh.
Those are orders of magnitude less immediately risky than open sea sailing with little to no sailing experience.

But you knew that. Quibbling to avoid the point - it's so fucking internet.

Wow, a phone plan for fifteen bucks!