Author Topic: Article for the "Lean FIRE" crowd  (Read 3586 times)

FIRE@50

• Pencil Stache
Re: Article for the "Lean FIRE" crowd
« Reply #1 on: June 13, 2018, 08:35:31 AM »
Most Americans are fat or obese.
You metabolism slows as you age.
Older people are eating less.
The author of the article considers this a crisis?

dcheesi

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #2 on: June 13, 2018, 08:42:40 AM »
The article even mentions the shift to a more sedentary lifestyle in retirement, when discussing a previous study, but totally fails to make that same connection here.

And then of course there's the possibility that retirees are actually eating healthier, since they have more time to prepare their own meals instead of grabbing calorie-dense "convenience" foods on the way to/from work.
« Last Edit: June 13, 2018, 08:45:07 AM by dcheesi »

bacchi

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #3 on: June 13, 2018, 09:47:53 AM »
And then of course there's the possibility that retirees are actually eating healthier, since they have more time to prepare their own meals instead of grabbing calorie-dense "convenience" foods on the way to/from work.

The study ruled that out by mumble-mumble-polls-mumble-science.

Yeah, what a stupid article.

PhilB

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #4 on: June 13, 2018, 09:52:43 AM »
At the risk of being sexist, I wonder how much of the dietary change in these male 'heads of household' is down to the fact that their wives can now supervise what they eat more closely ;o)

Adge

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #5 on: June 13, 2018, 10:53:08 AM »
Shortly after my dad retired last year, my mom developed a serious reaction to gluten. My dad went gluten-free by choice to help make it easier for my mom both to cope with personally and for meal planning purposes. As a result, he's definitely eating less calories (and mountain biking more with all his free time!) he's lost almost 10 pounds. They've got plenty of savings, I got my mustache genes from them :) correlation =/= causation.

jim555

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #6 on: June 13, 2018, 11:04:53 AM »
Dumb article.  Loosing weight is a plus not a minus.

dude

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #7 on: June 13, 2018, 12:43:34 PM »
Just don't FIRE too lean or you'll go huuuungry, bow bow bow!

Cassie

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #8 on: June 13, 2018, 01:18:22 PM »
That article is so stupid. We eat less in retirement because we each lost 40lbs. We also exercise more because we have the time.

BDWW

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #9 on: June 13, 2018, 01:24:31 PM »
Additionally, reduced caloric intake slows the metabolism and can actually slow aging.

https://www.scientificamerican.com/article/the-hunger-gains-extreme-calorie-restriction-diet-shows-anti-aging-results/

Much Fishing to Do

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #10 on: June 13, 2018, 01:28:51 PM »
Wow, if retiring will make me reduce caloric intake by 19% I should hurry up and FIRE

jlcnuke

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #11 on: June 13, 2018, 04:02:47 PM »
Perhaps the study itself addresses this, but I see nothing in the article saying how they came to their conclusions, notably:
1. The reduction in calories and amounts of some types of food "groups" is bad overall.

2. That being financially unprepared for retirement is the reason for those reductions.

Dumb article.  Loosing weight is a plus not a minus.

Not if you're already at the low end of your healthy weight range.

Sorinth

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #12 on: June 13, 2018, 05:39:01 PM »
I only skimmed the article, but wasn't it essentially saying people haven't saved enough money in retirement and so are going hungry and/or buying cheaper less nutritious foods?

If so it really doesn't apply to the fire crowd since we would have enough money for food.

DreamFIRE

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #13 on: June 13, 2018, 06:30:29 PM »
Perhaps the study itself addresses this, but I see nothing in the article saying how they came to their conclusions, notably:
1. The reduction in calories and amounts of some types of food "groups" is bad overall.

2. That being financially unprepared for retirement is the reason for those reductions.

Dumb article.  Loosing (sic) weight is a plus not a minus.

Not if you're already at the low end of your healthy weight range.

For most people, they could stand to lose a pound or 50.

Acastus

• Bristles
« Reply #14 on: June 14, 2018, 07:49:08 AM »
Researchers who use statistics needs to understand statistics. It can be a useful tool, but it can trick you, and it is often used to trick the audience. This article is a good example of bad stat.

It looks like they make very poor comparisons. Worker diet vs. retiree diet does not account for a lot of other variables. If they had compared single male workers to single male retirees, they might have got a good comparison. As it is, they found that when a man's wife dies, his diet goes to pot. Gee. Big surprise. A lot of guys can't cook. Not me, not all you foodies out there, but a lot.

Maybe compare the 64 year old diet to the 68 year old diet. Are those really different? Or are you measuring 70s diet vs. 30s diet?