Author Topic: Are men's clothes made better than women's?  (Read 25391 times)

Unionville

• Pencil Stache
Are men's clothes made better than women's?
« on: December 01, 2015, 10:17:31 PM »
Is it my imagination or are men's clothes better made than women's?  Whenever I wander over into the men's departments, the clothes are thicker, have better material, and feel more substantial. I'm wondering if it makes sense to buy men's clothes and alter them.  I'm tired of women's clothes that tear or wear out in just a few years.

deborah

• Senior Mustachian
Re: Are men's clothes made better than women's?
« Reply #1 on: December 02, 2015, 01:08:09 AM »
Comparing like with like tends to show that they are just as well made as one another - for instance plain t-shirts. However, women's clothing is more fashionable and therefore doesn't need to last as long (you will discard it next year for something more fashionable), and has more tizz on it (which increases its price) instead.

shelivesthedream

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #2 on: December 02, 2015, 01:48:57 AM »
Yes. If you compare price-point to price-point, men's clothes are made from better fabric. Not sure if the actual construction is always better, but the natural fibre content will be higher and the fabric will be thicker.

However, unless you have a very "manly" body shape, altering men's clothes to fit is likely to result in a lot of work for not-very-good-looking clothes. If you're going down that path, consider making your own from scratch! The time and skill taken to make something up from a bought pattern is not as much as people think. You can also put in a few details, like run and fell seams, which will make them more durable.

Rural

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #3 on: December 02, 2015, 03:40:09 AM »
Better fabric, better finishing (seam allowances,etc), better design (think pockets, ability to move). Yep.

shelivesthedream

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #4 on: December 02, 2015, 06:28:00 AM »
OMG YES POCKETS.

Sibley

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #5 on: December 02, 2015, 07:23:56 AM »
My dad rarely has a button fall off. I'm constantly sewing them back on, or I would be if I hadn't already done all of them. Tells you something.

GuitarStv

• Senior Mustachian
« Reply #6 on: December 02, 2015, 08:01:36 AM »
My wife's clothing is very light weight and sheer in comparison to the stuff that I wear.  It feels noticeably more flimsy to the touch.

Inkedup

• Stubble
  • Striving for FI.
« Reply #7 on: December 02, 2015, 08:26:40 AM »
The fabric used for men's shirts and pants feels much thicker. However, I think the overall quality of women's clothing has declined in recent years. And the pricing seems to skew higher. Very frustrating.

The_path_less_taken

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #8 on: December 02, 2015, 08:36:42 AM »
On my days off work, only the dogs/horse/burros/chickens/ducks see me.

They appear to have no aversion to me wearing Carhartts.

Which is good, as they wear like iron: I doubt I'll have to buy many more in my lifetime.

Agree with whomever posted that the 'expectation' with women's clothing is that you'll throw it out (!!!!) next year when it goes out of style.

As if!

big_slacker

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #9 on: December 02, 2015, 08:51:57 AM »
Glad someone posted this. When handle my wife's clothes I'm blown away by how thin and flimsy they feel compared to mine. I have some t-shirts that are more thin/stretchy and even they pale in comparison to how light my wife's stuff is.

Don't ya'll get cold???

Gin1984

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #10 on: December 02, 2015, 08:53:08 AM »
Glad someone posted this. When handle my wife's clothes I'm blown away by how thin and flimsy they feel compared to mine. I have some t-shirts that are more thin/stretchy and even they pale in comparison to how light my wife's stuff is.

Don't ya'll get cold???

YES

SunshineAZ

• Stubble
« Reply #11 on: December 02, 2015, 09:19:06 AM »
This is definitely true for winter clothes.  I have been buying men's flannel shirts (mostly Woolrich and Moose Creek) for years when I find them on sale, I just get 2 sizes smaller. It gets cold here in the winter, as we are at 5000 feet, and I have yet to find a decent heavy women's flannel shirt.  I do wear the Carhartt women's flannels in early fall and spring, but they are not warm enough for winter.   (I don't like being cold and I hate sweaters, they are itchy and get too hot when you are inside!)  Fortunately I work in a casual environment, so I don't have to be "fashionable".  The only downside with buying the men's is the colors are not the greatest, I usually only find 1 or 2 colors/patterns per season that I like.   

It really annoys me, its like they don't think women ever go outside in the winter. 

gReed Smith

• Stubble
« Reply #12 on: December 02, 2015, 09:30:20 AM »
I think this may be a matter of perception.  There are some really crappy men's clothes at places like Banana Republic, but there are a lot more stores, and lot more floor space, dedicated to women's clothes.  I bet the ratio of quality to crap is higher for men, but I bet the quantity of quality clothes are more or less equal, with the difference being that women have more options for fashionable garbage.

Gin1984

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #13 on: December 02, 2015, 09:32:37 AM »
I think this may be a matter of perception.  There are some really crappy men's clothes at places like Banana Republic, but there are a lot more stores, and lot more floor space, dedicated to women's clothes.  I bet the ratio of quality to crap is higher for men, but I bet the quantity of quality clothes are more or less equal, with the difference being that women have more options for fashionable garbage.
For the same brand, I can find quality men's clothes that last longer than women's.  Hell, even at the low price point, the boy's jeans at target lasted longer than the women's.

Orvell

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #14 on: December 02, 2015, 09:35:08 AM »
But the PRICE is higher, significantly, for those rare items of quality women's clothing. And they really *aren't* that much higher quality than the crap. I've had nice brand clothing fall to bits on me with alarming frequency. It's the pink tax. And those "sturdier" clothes are tucked in the side and back of the stores, away from where they might contaminate the fashionable stuff, and the sizing is mysterious and made of black magic and demon writing. It sucks giant monkey balls and I hate it. (And mostly don't shop until suddenly I'm out of pants because every single one of them has split at the crotch and I've worn the butt off... and then it's to the thrift store)

gReed Smith

• Stubble
« Reply #15 on: December 02, 2015, 09:43:08 AM »
I'm only basing my guesses on my own experience.  Also, for what it's worth, I am a man, although I frequently join my wife for shopping trips when they happen.  I tend to shop mostly at Macy's, LL Bean and Jos. A Bank.  I find that LL Bean has high quality stuff for men and women. Most Macy's clothes for men are good, and there are good clothes for women in amongst the racks and racks of junk.  Jos. A Bank is obviously a different situation.    I do agree about price, especially for jeans. My wife will easily spend $75 for a pair of jeans that are inferior to my $30 pair.

reader2580

• Stubble
« Reply #16 on: December 02, 2015, 10:16:32 AM »
What men's clothes last for years?  I buy most of my clothes at Kohl's.  I think it is good if I can get two years out of any of my clothes. 

Orvell

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #17 on: December 02, 2015, 10:32:08 AM »
What men's clothes last for years?  I buy most of my clothes at Kohl's.  I think it is good if I can get two years out of any of my clothes.
Khols is mostly crap.
Try the stores gReed Smith suggested: LL Bean, Macy's etc.
Or try thrift stores and look for thick fabric, good seams, and solid buttons.

runningthroughFIRE

• CM*MW 2023 Attendees
  • Bristles
  • As heavy as it needs to be to make you stronger
« Reply #18 on: December 02, 2015, 10:44:51 AM »
I'm currently wearing a pair of khakis that I (read: my mom) bought 7 or 8 years ago from Sears.  I didn't wear them much in college, but I put a good 2-3 years of wear on them when I was in high school (dress code, blegh) and now wear them to work.  That's just walking around and sitting on my ass most of the day, though.  The jeans I've gotten from Sears and/or JC Penny have lasted a good 4-5 years of normal wear and tear with occasional non-office type work.

Prairie Stash

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #19 on: December 02, 2015, 10:50:42 AM »
But the PRICE is higher, significantly, for those rare items of quality women's clothing. And they really *aren't* that much higher quality than the crap. I've had nice brand clothing fall to bits on me with alarming frequency. It's the pink tax. And those "sturdier" clothes are tucked in the side and back of the stores, away from where they might contaminate the fashionable stuff, and the sizing is mysterious and made of black magic and demon writing. It sucks giant monkey balls and I hate it. (And mostly don't shop until suddenly I'm out of pants because every single one of them has split at the crotch and I've worn the butt off... and then it's to the thrift store)
Don't confuse quality with brand names, its not a pink tax its a fashion tax. It happens to fashionable men too, if you go to thrift stores you'll see lots of barely worn clothing for men, I've seen stuff with tags on which amazes me. Keep track of brands only so you can repurchase good quality items, same product forever! For sizes, just look at the tag of the ones you're wearing while shopping and purchase again. If they become small find the next size bigger...

hyla

• Stubble
« Reply #20 on: December 02, 2015, 10:52:49 AM »
Generally, yes. 

I have altered several thrift store men's button downs to fit me so I can have shirts with nice fabrics, matched plaids, and pockets that are actually big enough to fit something in!  If I can find a shirt that is just a little bit too big, it's a simple matter of shortening and hemming the bottom, and taking in the side seams and underarm seams a little.  I've also cut down Men's L/XL shirts and resewed as women's M, which is a lot more involved and basically meant resewing the entire garment (although I could typically leave details like collars and sleeve plackets intact to save time).  Major resizing like this is probably only worth it if you enjoy sewing, but I think minor resizing of shirts that almost fit and only need small changes is definitely worth it. 

Orvell

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #21 on: December 02, 2015, 11:01:12 AM »
Don't confuse quality with brand names, its not a pink tax its a fashion tax. It happens to fashionable men too, if you go to thrift stores you'll see lots of barely worn clothing for men, I've seen stuff with tags on which amazes me. Keep track of brands only so you can repurchase good quality items, same product forever! For sizes, just look at the tag of the ones you're wearing while shopping and purchase again. If they become small find the next size bigger...
Just to clarify, when I say the sizing is demon writing I don't mean that I don't know what my size is in this particular pair of pants, or what my dress size is in that particular dress. I'm more than capable of reading.
It's that there's no standardization, at all. Things run small or wide or big or long with nooooo warning. I am an 8 in this brand, and a 12 in another. I call that the pink MENTAL tax. I would really prefer NOT to try things on and spend that long shopping, but the alternative is to deal with returns, because at least 50% of what I pick up will not fit. I have fluxuated maybe 5 pounds in the last 5 years. It's an exhausting, weird, and body-shaming thing.

Unionville

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #22 on: December 02, 2015, 11:28:33 AM »
Wow, I've never heard of the "Pink Tax" before. 

When I looked it up on google I was stunned. You are right. Here are photos of the same items sold for 2 different prices in a store, one intended for men, the other for women (unfortunately in French, but you get the idea). http://womantax.tumblr.com/ 

Here's another stunning article:http://groundswell.org/ever-heard-of-the-pink-tax-4-items-women-pay-more-for/  Women shoe imports even have higher tariffs!
« Last Edit: December 02, 2015, 11:34:03 AM by meteor »

Prairie Stash

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #23 on: December 02, 2015, 01:21:20 PM »
Just to clarify, when I say the sizing is demon writing I don't mean that I don't know what my size is in this particular pair of pants, or what my dress size is in that particular dress. I'm more than capable of reading.
It's that there's no standardization, at all. Things run small or wide or big or long with nooooo warning. I am an 8 in this brand, and a 12 in another. I call that the pink MENTAL tax. I would really prefer NOT to try things on and spend that long shopping, but the alternative is to deal with returns, because at least 50% of what I pick up will not fit. I have fluxuated maybe 5 pounds in the last 5 years. It's an exhausting, weird, and body-shaming thing.
That happens with men's clothing too, different brands fit differently. I wear size 32 or 33 Jeans depending on the brand, 18 years of the same size so I've tried a few different brands. There's also different cuts; relaxed, slim, boot cut etc. that all fit different and I can be a different size because I switch cuts. One chain store has names like "Alex, Mark etc." for their styles, shopping elsewhere is the easy out. My solution is to not change your wardrobe and buy the same article as the last time i.e. if I'm wearing Levi Jeans I look at the tag and buy another pair of Levi jeans.

As for the pink tax, its consumer choice still. I saw pacifiers in blue and pink in the link, with pink costing more, fashionable people say pink is for girls and pay extra. My daughter came home in a blue blanket because it was cheaper...feel free to insist all little girls need pink and pay extra for the stereotype. Society can make up a term like "Pink Tax" because all girls wear pink and consumers agree to it. Its shrewd marketing to get women to pay extra for the same item just because of a color, that's the consumers choice though.

Now if you called it a gender tax I'd buy into that.

Orvell

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #24 on: December 02, 2015, 01:35:24 PM »
That happens with men's clothing too, different brands fit differently. I wear size 32 or 33 Jeans depending on the brand, 18 years of the same size so I've tried a few different brands. There's also different cuts; relaxed, slim, boot cut etc. that all fit different and I can be a different size because I switch cuts. One chain store has names like "Alex, Mark etc." for their styles, shopping elsewhere is the easy out. My solution is to not change your wardrobe and buy the same article as the last time i.e. if I'm wearing Levi Jeans I look at the tag and buy another pair of Levi jeans.

As for the pink tax, its consumer choice still. I saw pacifiers in blue and pink in the link, with pink costing more, fashionable people say pink is for girls and pay extra. My daughter came home in a blue blanket because it was cheaper...feel free to insist all little girls need pink and pay extra for the stereotype. Society can make up a term like "Pink Tax" because all girls wear pink and consumers agree to it. Its shrewd marketing to get women to pay extra for the same item just because of a color, that's the consumers choice though.

Now if you called it a gender tax I'd buy into that.

Re: the pink tax issue
Yes. A lot of it is because women want things that look flattering on them (women's clothes rather than gender neutral ones) or because they've been told that X razor shaves their legs better than Y razor for example (when that is probably not even true). This is partially conforming to society's expectations.
But it's still a nasty system that preys on people. You want something designed for your body, has room for your hips? Pay 20% more if you're a woman who still goes to work in a professional setting and needs to have pants that fit.
You wrapped your daughter in a blue blanket. That's awesome! Gendering babies is weird anyhow, and using arbitrary colors to do it is even weirder.
But someone still made that pink blanket more expensive. Someone thought and *implemented* the idea that "girl" items should cost more. That sucks! That's horrible! It's not that people are conforming to a stereotype that's bad (people can do whatever they want, and gender expression is really important to some people; I'm not going to take that away from folks) it's that someone, out there, is using it to make money off of women.
That's not. okay.
It's not the color pink (although that is frustratingly used). "Pink tax" Is short hand for allll the little things women get upcharged on. My favorite from meteor's second link was laundry/dry cleaning services for women's clothes, or plus sized women's clothes costing more when men's plus sized clothes don't. This is not pink versus blue color choices. This is just... life for lots of women.

big_slacker

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #25 on: December 02, 2015, 01:43:36 PM »

I have a ton of 3-5 year old stuff in my closet, short list off the top of my head:

Bunch of hoodies: North face, billabong, etc.
Levis and Mavi jeans
Random t-shirts
American giant hoodie (how all clothing should be made!)
Some random slacks I got at marshalls and wore on the job (2 days in a row for each, lol!)
Various tech base layers for biking and running
Couple of columbia light shells for biking and running
Several pairs of sport shorts and cargo shorts

I have doubts as to whether anything in my wife's closet is 3 years old, lol!

shelivesthedream

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #26 on: December 02, 2015, 01:44:51 PM »

Don't ya'll get cold???

YES

YES.

We are also fed up with it being such a mission to find clothing you can't see our underwear through.

TrMama

« Reply #27 on: December 02, 2015, 01:57:23 PM »
Yup, and it even extends to little girls/little boys clothes. I am so, incredibly tired of looking for clothes for my girls that aren't paper thin and so tight they end up outgrown within a couple months. Boys clothes are sturdier and sized more generously. Apparently little girls are supposed to wear thin, skin tight clothing at all times.

Luckily, I can sew a lot of our clothes. The tricky part is finding fabric that isn't paper thin.

NathanP

• Stubble
« Reply #28 on: December 02, 2015, 02:01:37 PM »
I am going to stoke the fire a bit by suggesting that woman's clothes have to work harder than men's clothes. I love my wife, but she will insist on buying a certain sized garment and then force herself into it. This may involve various body shaping undergarments. Can you expect a pair of pants to last as long when the fasteners and fabric are under such strain?

I assume that I am like most guys, and steer towards comfort. I have very few garments that are so tight that I feel my movements limited. Yes, jeans are heavy vs. shorts, but I can still move around freely without feeling like a button or seam is going to fail.

Also, +1 to men's clothing being thicker (more quality?) than a woman's. I would feel uncomfortable wearing the thin and sheer blouses my wife wears to work everyday.

maco

• Bristles
« Reply #29 on: December 02, 2015, 02:02:53 PM »

Don't ya'll get cold???
You've heard about the Thermostat Wars, right?

Orvell

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #30 on: December 02, 2015, 02:11:35 PM »
I am going to stoke the fire a bit by suggesting that woman's clothes have to work harder than men's clothes. I love my wife, but she will insist on buying a certain sized garment and then force herself into it. This may involve various body shaping undergarments. Can you expect a pair of pants to last as long when the fasteners and fabric are under such strain?

I assume that I am like most guys, and steer towards comfort. I have very few garments that are so tight that I feel my movements limited. Yes, jeans are heavy vs. shorts, but I can still move around freely without feeling like a button or seam is going to fail.

Also, +1 to men's clothing being thicker (more quality?) than a woman's. I would feel uncomfortable wearing the thin and sheer blouses my wife wears to work everyday.

Haha, you said you were going to stoke the fire. ;) I'll rise to the occasion.

Why should I expect my clothing to fall apart simply because I have boobs or hips? Skin tight jeans are under some additional strain, sure, but they should then be designed to deal with that. Isn't that the point? Why are inferior products acceptable? Men's clothing is often advertised as being able to deal with Tough Jobs and mud and crap seen on most truck commercials. Ready For Your Manly Lifestyle. Women's jeans should then be able to deal with the Tough Job of remaining intact, yes? It is far less intense. If fasteners and fabric are under the monuments, hulk-like strain of my body existing inside of them, they should be built with that in mind.
My skirt? The hem fell out in the first two months I owned it. There ain't no strain there.

Guses

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #31 on: December 02, 2015, 02:39:51 PM »
It's not the color pink (although that is frustratingly used). "Pink tax" Is short hand for allll the little things women get upcharged on. My favorite from meteor's second link was laundry/dry cleaning services for women's clothes, or plus sized women's clothes costing more when men's plus sized clothes don't. This is not pink versus blue color choices. This is just... life for lots of women.

Oh yes, don't even get me started!!1!11!1!!!

I was shopping for some wine and anything that was pink in the same brand cost way more!1!!1

;)

Seriously though, I think we may be reading a little bit too much into the pricing of different color items.

Just stop buying expensive cheaply made clothes! You like the durability of men clothes? BUY THEM and WEAR THEM. This is the only way to break the stereotypes and so called "pink tax".

deborah

• Senior Mustachian
« Reply #32 on: December 02, 2015, 02:42:26 PM »

I was shopping for some wine and anything that was pink in the same brand cost way more!1!!1

;)

Seriously though, I think we may be reading a little bit too much into the pricing of different color items.

Just stop buying expensive cheaply made clothes! You like the durability of men clothes? BUY THEM and WEAR THEM. This is the only way to break the stereotypes and so called "pink tax".

As someone has previously said, men have a different shape to women, so men's clothes don't fit most women.

Gin1984

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #33 on: December 02, 2015, 02:53:03 PM »

;)

I used to, then I gave birth and I can't fit in them anymore because I have hips.  Either they are too loose around my waist or they don't fit around my hips.

Zikoris

• Magnum Stache
  • Vancouverstachian
« Reply #34 on: December 02, 2015, 02:55:26 PM »
Clothing stores produce whatever the demand is for. Clothes made from the thinner, more flimsy materials seem to flatter women's figures more in my experience, and also (at least around here) layering is in fashion right now, so people don't want stuff that's too thick. But I do see durable stuff around frequently as well - there just not much demand for it.

I prefer durability over fashion, and find that in Canada Old Navy and Warehouse One both seem to have stuff that both fits me well and last for years.

I think how long your clothing lasts depends a lot on how well you take care of it. Both my boyfriend and I find that our clothes last for years and years because we 1. wear things more than once before washing, 2. don't wash in hot water, and 3. hang everything to dry. We've been together for about 6.5 years, and both have clothing predating our relationship that's still in decent condition, so we must be doing something right.

Orvell

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #35 on: December 02, 2015, 03:03:59 PM »
I'm nodding along to the people who are explaining that men's clothes don't fit them.
Men's T's don't fit women with larger breasts; the arms of dress shirts for men can fit whole babies where my arms swim around the shoulders; pants don't have room for hips and inseams have room for things I don't have. It's not a perfect 1 to 1 translation of don't like A buy B.

Also, I dislike the fact that it, however unconsciously, demonizes the feminine. Don't like paying more? Just be a man. (Yes I know this is hyperbole, but in the end, men's clothing being the 'default' sucks too.)
Women should be able to wear things they feel and look good in, without paying 20% more than men do for wearing things they feel and look good in.

I vacillate pretty strongly on how feminine I want to present. Some days it's a dress shirt tucked in to pants and flats and a sports bra or binder to keep everything ~in place~. Some days it's a dress and leather boots. I'm not a fashionista by annnny stretch of the means. But getting charged for wanting to be pretty when that makes me feel better... is not good.

(And I know, yes, it's true: Being Pretty (caps included) is a social construct. I'm not unaware of this, as I'm sure my comment will incite this discussion.)

Miss Prim

• Bristles
« Reply #36 on: December 02, 2015, 03:17:37 PM »
I'm a tall woman (5'9") and I'm a downhill skier.  I only buy Columbia system jackets.  The last one I bought was actually a men's coat.  I love it because it has longer sleeves and is longer in the torso.  The women's jackets are too short and although they are cute colors, I'll take my dark man looking coat over them because I am so much more comfortable in it.  Although, now that I cut my hair short, I get called sir a lot!  I can take it though because I am a mustachian and have good self esteem!

Miss Prim

gReed Smith

• Stubble
« Reply #37 on: December 02, 2015, 03:34:57 PM »
I generally see men's clothes advertised as being comfortable and durable, think Duluth Trading Co. Commercials or Wranglers commercials with Brett Favre.  Women's clothes tend to be advertised as being cheap.  Big sale this weekend!  Come buy all the crap you can carry!  This suggests to me that Mustachian women are in a bind because they don't conform to the largest swath of their demographic.  Women as a group probably desire quantity over quality, so the manufacturers are not driven to improve quality.  I would also venture a guess that women as a group spend a larger percentage of their disposable income on clothes because shopping is seen as entertainment, so they can charge more for women's clothes because demand is higher.  Again, Mustachian women don't fit the general demographic.

Jakejake

• Pencil Stache
  • FIRE: June 17, 2016
« Reply #38 on: December 02, 2015, 05:42:37 PM »
I am STILL mad about the difference in the dress uniforms I had to wear in the army 30 years ago. There's no reason the women's dress pants shouldn't have the same pockets as the men's pants. It's the army, not a freaking fashion adventure.

And the shirts, omg the stupid stupid dress shirts for women are cut to end abruptly right below the belt buckle in front and can't be tucked in, like the men's shirts can. I was the only woman in my reserve unit, and when we all got to climb into a T-72 tank and check it out, I had to bow out. The only way to lower ourselves into the turret would have involved lifting my elbows up to my shoulders - and I would have been flashing my chest to every dude I worked with.

Fashion owes me a visit inside a soviet tank, dang it.

Sailor Sam

• CMTO 2023 Attendees
  • Walrus Stache
  • Semper...something
« Reply #39 on: December 02, 2015, 06:12:42 PM »
I read this Wall Street Journal article a few months ago. It touches on most of the issues touched on in this thread - trendiness equalling lower quality, flimsy fabric, etc.

We also seem to be experiencing the birth of a new clothing market, where traditionally masculine styles are being cut for women's shapes. Generally marketed as a 'butch' style, but maybe it will become a movement that can serve larger womenkind. Everyone deserves to own one really flattering (aka: well fitting) outfit, in whatever style makes them feel supercalafragalisticly hot.

Rural

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #40 on: December 02, 2015, 06:32:19 PM »

;)

I do, at work and at home. It's how I know they're better made.

But not everyone can, and now that I'm losing weight, I'm finding my men's dockers are less and less comfortable as I have to belt them tighter and the fabric bunches up. We'll see. I actually bought (thrift store) a pair of women's slacks to make a presentation at a major conference this weekend because of the problem. But I'm wearing men's on all the non-presenting and travel days.

big_slacker

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #41 on: December 02, 2015, 08:13:03 PM »

We also seem to be experiencing the birth of a new clothing market, where traditionally masculine styles are being cut for women's shapes. Generally marketed as a 'butch' style, but maybe it will become a movement that can serve larger womenkind. Everyone deserves to own one really flattering (aka: well fitting) outfit, in whatever style makes them feel supercalafragalisticly hot.

My wife wears some of the 'boyfriend style' stuff. Drives me nuts, I tell her straight up its not her best look but she loves the comfort and style. She is def not 'larger womankind' but I think regardless of body type a break from tight fitting thing clothes is probably nice.

Sailor Sam

• CMTO 2023 Attendees
  • Walrus Stache
  • Semper...something
« Reply #42 on: December 02, 2015, 08:45:07 PM »
In the context of my post, larger meant a mainstream population, not weight. Guess that was lost. 

NoraLenderbee

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #43 on: December 02, 2015, 10:41:11 PM »
"Pink tax" Is short hand for allll the little things women get upcharged on. My favorite from meteor's second link was laundry/dry cleaning services for women's clothes, or plus sized women's clothes costing more when men's plus sized clothes don't. This is not pink versus blue color choices. This is just... life for lots of women.

Yes, yes, yes.

shelivesthedream

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #44 on: December 03, 2015, 01:34:11 AM »
I am STILL mad about the difference in the dress uniforms I had to wear in the army 30 years ago. There's no reason the women's dress pants shouldn't have the same pockets as the men's pants. It's the army, not a freaking fashion adventure.

And the shirts, omg the stupid stupid dress shirts for women are cut to end abruptly right below the belt buckle in front and can't be tucked in, like the men's shirts can. I was the only woman in my reserve unit, and when we all got to climb into a T-72 tank and check it out, I had to bow out. The only way to lower ourselves into the turret would have involved lifting my elbows up to my shoulders - and I would have been flashing my chest to every dude I worked with.

Fashion owes me a visit inside a soviet tank, dang it.

What the FUCK?!?!?! I cannot believe the ARMY did this. That is just... I really honestly am struggling to compute that. The ARMY.

I can't wear men's clothes. 5'2", tiny feet, pear shaped. Trousers don't fit my hips and waist (though I struggle with women's trousers not having enough shaping too, they are better). Shirts are comically baggy with really long arms. I have, however, had some success buying good children's tops and knitwear.

reader2580

• Stubble
« Reply #45 on: December 03, 2015, 06:47:31 AM »
Perhaps a large part of the reason women's clothes are less durable is because the average women buys so many clothes and thus doesn't wear any one item very much.  I know that most of the women here don't buy very many clothes and would rather have them last longer.

big_slacker

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #46 on: December 03, 2015, 08:08:29 AM »
In the context of my post, larger meant a mainstream population, not weight. Guess that was lost.

Haha, I guess so. My bad. :)

Flynlow

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #47 on: December 03, 2015, 09:27:07 AM »
I wonder if there is an economy of scale effect at all with regard to the 20% "pink" tax.

Men, in general, tend to be a bit boring with a lot of fashion.  Clothes come in three colors: blue, black, or grey.  We tend to buy lots of tshirts and jeans, and are upset when the Levi's cut of "straight leg, comfort fit" jeans changes for the first time in 30 years to reflect updated styles.  This also carries over to dress shirts, suits, shoes, etc. 

Could it be that men's clothes are more rugged and cheaper because they can produce a lot more of the same and no one cares?  Conversely (mustachian women aside), women's clothing lines tend to be shorter, smaller runs of product due to fashion changes, and tend to encompass a wider variety of colors and styles.

BlueMR2

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #48 on: December 03, 2015, 09:59:53 AM »
I'd say that my clothes do seem to be significantly more durable than my wife's. 

On the fit side of things, I like to say that men's clothes are designed by women that hate men...  I swear, nobody can even get the basics of men's clothes right.  Pockets that are angled so all your stuff falls out when you sit down.  Pockets that are too small for hands, etc.  The sizes are so ridiculously inconsistent.  I have 36 waist jeans I can't squeeze in to, but also have 33s that are fine.  My shirt size is a M, L, or XL depending on the individual shirt (even brands aren't consistent).

Goldielocks

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #49 on: December 03, 2015, 10:08:31 AM »
It is not just men's clothes, plus sizes in the same brand are far better constructed, too!

Wow, a phone plan for fifteen bucks!