Author Topic: Anyone work for Tesla in an equipment Automation / Integration role?  (Read 3858 times)

KarefulKactus15

• Handlebar Stache
Hi all,

As the title suggest, just wondering if anyone works for Tesla in a Robotics , Automation, Controls or integration role?

I see tons of job postings and I meet all the qualifications at both facilities.  Looking in the news it appears they really struggle with their automation....

Would like to hear your thoughts. About what you ask? Everything that you would want to know if looking into an employer for yourself.

Again, looking for folks that currently work at Tesla to provide their experience and knowledge of the current corporate culture.  If you want, PM me so your comments arent tied to  forum.

Others are welcome to comment on your thoughts, but please make it clear that you arent speaking from direct experience.

pomegranatemom

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
Most people won’t write anything on the board because of NDAs. Hopefully someone will PM you.

I think the Gigafactory is located in a better area. My husband’s done work as an integrator for Tesla and I’ve traveled with him to Reno and Fremont. I much preferred staying in Reno. Everyone knows how expensive and crowded the Bay Area is! I have no knowledge of the corporate culture at either place.

esq

• Bristles
You might have better results on Reddit. Best of luck!

KarefulKactus15

• Handlebar Stache
With all the engineers on this forum you think reddit is better!?   =D 

v10viperbox

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
They are hard core into Siemens plc. If that does not scare you off there burn rate should. Also they pulled tons of people right out of school for that department.

Frankly if you are qualified to work at Tesla you can find something better.

KarefulKactus15

• Handlebar Stache
I can agree that the burn rate is frightening.    I would have fears about working at the California plant and the stability of the job.  But at the same time I believe in what Tesla is doing.   That has to feed into job satisfaction a little bit?

But the battery factory, that gig seems pretty solid from a fundamentals perspective.  Even if other big players rise up and squash Tesla's automotive presence, the battery production seems safe.  Can always be re tooled to make whatever the market demands.    My thoughts any way....

BiggerFishToFI

• Stubble
I am in this industry and interviewed with them for a mid-senior position at the Reno gigafactory . They really try to sell the “vision” of the company as an excuse for their expectation of working their employees 60+ hour weeks for no extra pay. If you truly believe in Musks vision and are willing to sacrifice work life balance and total compensation then maybe it is something you should look into. For myself, I have other priorities

KarefulKactus15

• Handlebar Stache
Re: Anyone work for Tesla in an equipment Automation / Integration role?
« Reply #7 on: June 04, 2018, 04:35:18 AM »
You might have better results on Reddit. Best of luck!

Alright, due to low response rate, I'll need to go to Reddit. 

Never used Reddit before, any immediate idea of which area a question like this would get the most useful responses?

Turkey Leg

• Bristles
« Reply #8 on: June 04, 2018, 05:25:24 AM »
r/teslamotors might do the trick.

esq

• Bristles
« Reply #9 on: June 09, 2018, 02:31:13 AM »
With all the engineers on this forum you think reddit is better!?   =D

Just because of their sheer numbers.... 15 million users IIRC. Should be lots of engineering subreddits there. Did you have any luck?

nick663

• Bristles
« Reply #10 on: June 09, 2018, 03:49:00 PM »
Haven't worked for them but know people that have.  The things you hear are the same things I hear from them (unrealistic expectations, tons of hours, burnt out employees, lots of turnover).

Michael in ABQ

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #11 on: June 09, 2018, 09:19:52 PM »
I have a good friend who started working there recently but in more of a management role. He seems to be enjoying it and has said that he's surrounded by very smart and motivated people. He's worked in smaller companies and startups in the Bay Area and Northwest for the last decade though so he's pretty used to longer hours. I have no idea what his compensation is but I know he get's stock options and he can afford his $3-4k/month apartment and eating out all the time so obviously it's somewhere north of $100k.

gpyros85

• Stubble
« Reply #12 on: June 10, 2018, 04:56:03 AM »
Know of a few ex-coworkers that have left to go work for them. Let's face it, Toyota and other lean manufacturers are doing with LESS robots because of the quick change over because cars change every so many years. Tesla is trying to set up X times more robots, it will work but robots take time to process design. The issue now is when the X,S or 3 get a design update that the industry tends to do every so many years...

Also, the talk in the industry is the car design is awesome from the "skateboard" portion down.. So the drive train, suspension was designed by a GOD, and the chassis. Now, when it comes to the sheet metal or the BIW they are struggling, most of this is due to no equipment run offs not being properly done, lots of skips stepped. Line workers not being trained.

AutoLine After hours did a good interview with a company that specializes in Vehicle Tear Down and they noticed a lot of issues where the process was skipped or done incorrectly. Their on the floor process is broken and not established like the larger vehicles.

hops

• Bristles
« Reply #13 on: June 10, 2018, 06:28:33 AM »
What has changed in the last two years that's made you reconsider wanting to work there? Its reputation as an employer is basically unchanged. (See reply #47.)

https://forum.mrmoneymustache.com/welcome-to-the-forum/i-have-a-great-job-but-an-amazing-offer-fell-into-my-lap-help-me-decide!/

KarefulKactus15

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #14 on: June 10, 2018, 01:15:47 PM »
Couple things.      2 years ago they weren't in need of my skillset as much. ($$)   Or they were, but didn't realize it? Now they appear to see the need for project managers / Integrators with deep understanding of automation based on the job postings I see.

Also, I suggested that the engineer in question not take the job for 95k when compared to their current job offer.  I still wouldn't go work there for 95k base no OT.      With my personality, it would be easy to get sucked into 70+ hour weeks while resolving robot process issues during a launch.

nick663

• Bristles
« Reply #15 on: June 14, 2018, 04:16:17 PM »
Saw this and it made me think of this thread.
https://www.linkedin.com/feed/update/urn:li:activity:6412687494646628352

How the hell do you have a company that is laying people off that got hired 3 weeks ago?  What a shit show.

bryan995

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #16 on: June 14, 2018, 11:03:25 PM »
This is a question for blind. Download the app and enjoy ;)