Author Topic: Anyone share Amazon Prime?  (Read 10494 times)

BTDretire

• Magnum Stache
Anyone share Amazon Prime?
« on: December 07, 2017, 11:21:55 AM »
I find you can share Prime with one adult and to children.
What I'm looking for is, who pays the bill.
I want to share with my adult daughter and have two credit cards
to pick from, one for her and one for me.
I see this,
https://www.amazon.com/gp/help/customer/display.html?nodeId=200444180
which says, "Sharing benefits through Amazon Household requires both adults to link their accounts in an Amazon Household and agree to share payment methods."
 I don't know what, "agree to share payment methods" means. Can we have both her CC # and my CC # on the account and just pick ours when we order?

Also the Amazon Household has me perplexed as she doesn't live with me, but if that was a requirement, it should be said.
                             Thanks for any help.

sirspendstoomuch

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
Re: Anyone share Amazon Prime?
« Reply #1 on: December 07, 2017, 11:31:15 AM »
I didn't set it up, but I have a sub account under my brother's prime account.  We have separate logins and I don't see his payment methods when I buy things.

HipGnosis

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #2 on: December 07, 2017, 11:44:23 AM »
If only Amazon had decent customer service so we could find out how to do this...

ketchup

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #3 on: December 07, 2017, 12:11:00 PM »
I just have an account that I share with a total of five (I think) people.  Everyone has their CC info saved, and you just make sure you select the proper card and address at checkout.

BTDretire

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #4 on: December 07, 2017, 12:58:23 PM »
If only Amazon had decent customer service so we could find out how to do this...

I don't know if this is tongue in cheek or what!
Amazon has great attention to there customer's desires.
There are pages and pages of help links, When the page I thought should answer my question, didn't, and they ask, "was this page helpful" I said no, thinking I would get to say why, I didn't.
 A phone bank would be nice, but that would raise prices. Can you imagine how many phone calls would be generated. I saw 600 orders per second back in 2106.

aaahhrealmarcus

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
  • Declutter. Decommodify. Denerdify.
    • Minimally Nerdy
« Reply #5 on: December 07, 2017, 01:00:02 PM »
If you're worried about her buying stuff with your credit card or vice-versa, don't. I just added my GF to my Prime account and it keeps our info separate, so when I go to check out I only see MY saved cards and addresses, and she only sees hers. Hope that helps!

HipGnosis

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #6 on: December 07, 2017, 03:15:34 PM »
If you're worried about her buying stuff with your credit card or vice-versa, don't. I just added my GF to my Prime account and it keeps our info separate, so when I go to check out I only see MY saved cards and addresses, and she only sees hers. Hope that helps!
I'm not the OP, but DOES HELP!  THANKS!

JLee

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #7 on: December 07, 2017, 05:04:20 PM »

Not sure if serious...Amazon has some of the best customer service I have ever experienced.

BudgetSlasher

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #8 on: December 07, 2017, 05:25:00 PM »
The requirements for sharing a Prime account have evolved over the years; as adults my sister and I used to share my dad's prime account (but the only benefit that was shared was 2-day shipping). I left to get more of the prime benefits like the free kindle books and prime video, but my sister is still on my father's. When I added my wife and my MIL to my prime you didn't have to link payment methods and the restriction was on number of people living at different addresses. In both cases the arrangement appears to be grandfathered.

In both of my non-grandfathered cases, the primary prime account holder pays the bill. They also get all of the prime benefits.

Edit: We don't charge the MIL for the free 2-day shipping perk she gets on Amazon Prime (it would just go to waste if she wasn't using it). But, if she felt so compelled she could pay us; the DW and the MIL combine so many of their shopping trips, wholesale club memberships, add a line to phone plans, and so on that inevitably at the end of the month they are transferring money to settle the bill. 

I don't know if this is tongue in cheek or what!
Amazon has great attention to there customer's desires.
There are pages and pages of help links, When the page I thought should answer my question, didn't, and they ask, "was this page helpful" I said no, thinking I would get to say why, I didn't.
 A phone bank would be nice, but that would raise prices. Can you imagine how many phone calls would be generated. I saw 600 orders per second back in 2106.

Oh you can call them or have them call you, both my wife and I have dealt with them over the phone. It is just difficult enough to find a way to get them on the phone that I am sure it is an intentional attempt to get you to use the various online resources or messaging.

Not sure if serious...Amazon has some of the best customer service I have ever experienced.

I agree. Over the years I have had plenty of Amazon orders go less than perfect, but the problem has always been corrected rapidly and without any attitude.
« Last Edit: December 07, 2017, 05:27:51 PM by BudgetSlasher »

BTDretire

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #9 on: December 08, 2017, 05:25:20 AM »
If you're worried about her buying stuff with your credit card or vice-versa, don't.

Not a concern, she has a credit card on my account. She once commented, "Dad, keep me on your CC, it makes my credit score look really good. Had the card since '91'.

I just added my GF to my Prime account and it keeps our info separate, so when I go to check out I only see MY saved cards and addresses, and she only sees hers. Hope that helps!
Good info. I just don't want to start a precedent of paying for her Amazon items. Already paying for college and some support. She's my expensive kid, my son is Mustachian, without knowing much about it.

BTDretire

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #10 on: December 08, 2017, 05:36:31 AM »
The requirements for sharing a Prime account have evolved over the years; as adults my sister and I used to share my dad's prime account (but the only benefit that was shared was 2-day shipping). I left to get more of the prime benefits like the free kindle books and prime video, but my sister is still on my father's. When I added my wife and my MIL to my prime you didn't have to link payment methods and the restriction was on number of people living at different addresses. In both cases the arrangement appears to be grandfathered.

This has me a little concerned;
 I want to get Prime for the Video Streaming, I just got a FireStick.
Did your sister only us the shipping benefit because Amazon limited her to that, or that's just all she wanted to use?
If I do this, both my daughter and I will be streaming video.

In both of my non-grandfathered cases, the primary prime account holder pays the bill. They also get all of the prime benefits.

Hmm, So is it different now?

Rubic

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #11 on: December 08, 2017, 09:09:47 AM »
I wouldn't pay for Amazon Prime, but I get the free Prime shipping
being grandfathered under Dad's account.

This month Amex offered $30 back on Amazon orders of $60 or more
when using Membership Rewards points.  Yesterday I placed an order
using only $1 worth of MR points and put the remainder on my card, since
the MR conversion rate to Amazon isn't that great.

I've got 2 qualifying Amex cards with this offer, so $120 worth of merchandise
for $60 (and 200 MR points) this month!

BTDretire

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #12 on: December 15, 2017, 09:32:25 AM »
OK, I found out my daughter could and did set me up under her Student Prime Account.
 But then I could not access any videos, I kept getting a 30day free trial message on the video I selected.
 I find Amazon has an 800 help number, I called that, I got help removing the two I items I accidentally clicked on and bought. A friend warned me about that, but I had just started using the Firestick remote and wasn't used to the buttons. I had to get a little stern with the agent, he said it's only $0.99, No, I don't want it, you can try it for a month and see, NO, I don't want it.
 Ok so they took care of both items, but each had it own department and wait time.
 They could not understand my third problem with not being able to access videos, I think do to language difficulty.
 Then I tried the chat, After some time I found out that as a member of a student paid household I was not allowed free Prime Video, only free shipping.
 So, I signed up and paid the $99.
 I can now access the videos, and like the interface very much. I'm also adding other video streams to the Firestick.
 My daughter was already looking forward to me paying her student prime bill when it came due in February, she quickly shifted to getting in on my Prime as a Household. 
 I was being Mustachian getting on her account, she's just sponging off dad, getting on mine.
Right? :-)

Miss Prim

• Bristles
« Reply #13 on: December 15, 2017, 11:54:58 AM »
I have it and my two adult children, mother and my son's girlfriend all have access to it.  As the primary person, I seem to see all of the charge cards for everyone.  Don't know what the other's see.  I trust all of them to use their separate credit cards and have never had an issue.  They all use it for the free shipping, only my son and mom also have access to videos. 

Miss Prim

NeonPegasus

• Bristles
    • Neon Pegasus
« Reply #14 on: December 15, 2017, 12:05:46 PM »
You can give it a shot with her listed as an adult and see if everything goes well with the purchasing.

If it doesn't work out, you can set her up as a teen. Then you have the authority to approve all of her orders. If you wanted to be able to support some of her purchases, this might be a good way to allow that. That's kinda like how my parents gave me a credit card that I could charge $50 of items/mo on when I was in college.

I wonder if she could have two separate logins and one could be given adult privileges and the other teen. Then she could purchase her own items on the adult login, using her own credit card, and then buy things that you have agreed to pay for on the teen profile.

boarder42

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #15 on: December 15, 2017, 02:22:34 PM »
i just share my account with my whole family they have my login and use it.  its really annoying to have a billion cards and addresses but oh well.

BTDretire

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #16 on: December 16, 2017, 06:45:39 PM »
You can give it a shot with her listed as an adult and see if everything goes well with the purchasing.

If it doesn't work out, you can set her up as a teen. Then you have the authority to approve all of her orders. If you wanted to be able to support some of her purchases, this might be a good way to allow that. That's kinda like how my parents gave me a credit card that I could charge $50 of items/mo on when I was in college.

I wonder if she could have two separate logins and one could be given adult privileges and the other teen. Then she could purchase her own items on the adult login, using her own credit card, and then buy things that you have agreed to pay for on the teen profile.

Not sure if that was to the OP (me), but my daughter is on here own, although my wife offered to pay for school and some support if she went back to school for an advanced degree.
 She finishing the last term of a Masters and waiting to see if she is accepted to a dental school. Fingers Crossed.

Raj

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
    • My Blog
« Reply #17 on: December 18, 2017, 08:26:23 AM »
I agree with JLee, Amazon has some of the best customer service I've ever gotten whenever I call them. The wait can take awhile but they've already resolved any and all issues I've had both as a seller and buyer.

Thegoblinchief

« Reply #18 on: December 18, 2017, 04:51:07 PM »
I have Amazon Prime shared with several people, but it’s under the old rules where you could be under completely different address or credit card, not sure how it works currrently. I’d email customer service to clarify, they’re pretty responsive.

JayhawkRacer

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #19 on: December 19, 2017, 10:42:28 AM »
Just so anyone reading this understands: using an Amazon "Household" account (i.e. one that is linked to a paid Prime subscription, but under a different person and login), you only have access to Prime shipping benefits. Not Video or cloud services that come with the main paid account holder's account.

Wow, a phone plan for fifteen bucks!