Author Topic: Anyone considering signing up for a chase card read this...  (Read 32250 times)

Duke03

• Bristles
Anyone considering signing up for a chase card read this...
« on: August 08, 2017, 09:37:21 PM »
I just got off the phone with a chase representative about an issue with my Sapphire Reserve card.  During the conversation I casually mentioned that my wife was thinking about signing up for the Reserve card, but it was a hard pill to swallow that they now only offer 50k UR points as a sign up bonus as opposed to the 100k offer they did earlier this year.  He claimed that it would be in our best interest to wait until the second week of September as Chase will be unveiling a lot of special holiday offers to try to entice people to sign up for Chase cards for the holiday shopping season.  He said these offers could be made public as soon as the first week of September, but for sure the second week.  Not sure the callers are in the know or not, but this one seemed to know what they where talking about.  He even mentioned that he noticed we both got the higher sign on bonus of our southwest cards we got two months ago.  Just a heads up to anyone that was fixing to pull the trigger.  If you can wait a month it might be worth it.

sw1tch

• Bristles
Re: Anyone considering signing up for a chase card read this...
« Reply #1 on: August 09, 2017, 12:52:37 PM »
I was already planning to wait at least until the beginning of the year to sign up for anything.  I'm still kicking myself for not noticing and jumping on the 100k bonus earlier this year.

Tetsuya Hondo

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #2 on: August 09, 2017, 01:11:15 PM »
Sweet. Thanks for sharing this!

exige

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #3 on: August 09, 2017, 02:33:10 PM »
interesting! I just pulled the trigger on the CSP but I have some big expenses coming up that will allow me to hit minimum right away.

fattest_foot

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #4 on: August 09, 2017, 02:48:42 PM »
Hope it's true.

Wife and I both got the 100k the week before it ended, but now I'm wishing we had jumped earlier (to split up the benefits between calendar years better).

If there is another card that can beat out 50k points, I think we'll be all over it.

In fact, the vacation we're mostly paying for with the 100k points will likely be a good time period to start more forced spending.

Edit: based on DarkandStormy's comments below, I realize that this sounds like just another CSR, which we wouldn't be eligible for.
« Last Edit: August 09, 2017, 03:02:26 PM by fattest_foot »

EconDiva

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #5 on: August 09, 2017, 02:52:48 PM »
I was just.about.to.apply. for the CSP *today*....

....I hope this is true and that something else fairly big is in the works.  I need another Chase branded card and sign up bonus ASAP.

DarkandStormy

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #6 on: August 09, 2017, 02:55:27 PM »

....I hope this is true and that something else fairly big is in the works.  I need another Chase branded card and sign up bonus ASAP.

CSP isn't CSR from the OP, fyi.

EconDiva

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #7 on: August 09, 2017, 03:03:41 PM »

I know...I have the CSR and was hoping to get the 50k points from a new CSP as I've about dried up my 100k points from the CSR...

DarkandStormy

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #8 on: August 10, 2017, 07:11:21 AM »

I know...I have the CSR and was hoping to get the 50k points from a new CSP as I've about dried up my 100k points from the CSR...

How does this rumor on the CSR sign-up bonus impact your decision to get a new CSP?  Maybe I'm mis-reading haha.

CptCool

• Bristles
« Reply #9 on: August 10, 2017, 07:38:31 AM »

How does this rumor on the CSR sign-up bonus impact your decision to get a new CSP?  Maybe I'm mis-reading haha.

The rep mentioned "chase cards" would have offers to entice people to sign up - not just the CSR. I'd guess all of the ultimate rewards earning cards would have some sort of a special in this case

DarkandStormy

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #10 on: August 10, 2017, 07:58:03 AM »

The rep mentioned "chase cards" would have offers to entice people to sign up - not just the CSR. I'd guess all of the ultimate rewards earning cards would have some sort of a special in this case

Ugh, read that as CSR not just "chase cards."  I have about $1k of spending to finish off the $4k min. spend on a CSP.  I'll have to get SO to sign-up in September after we see what these holiday offers are.

ringer707

• Bristles
« Reply #11 on: August 10, 2017, 02:21:58 PM »
Thank you for this info! We haven't nailed down which Chase card we want yet, but we are getting one soon.

ponyboy

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #12 on: August 11, 2017, 08:32:22 AM »
Ill sign up for it this time.  this time things will be different.  Already scored on the 100k amex deal...now need this.

Mr. Green

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #13 on: August 11, 2017, 01:21:04 PM »
Thanks for the heads up. We're due for another round of credit card churning so we'll wait and see what comes up.

Inaya

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #14 on: August 11, 2017, 01:49:21 PM »
Thanks for sharing. I've been thinking about at CSP to add the points to my CSR (I got the 100k points right at the deadline in March) because I have some large reimbursable expenses coming up. But I think I'll wait. Even if it's another CSR, my husband can get it and put those expenses on it.

EconDiva

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #15 on: August 12, 2017, 09:58:02 AM »
OP....do you think those that already have a CSR should wait on this?

I was going to get a CSP and I kinda need to get something soon O.O for bonus points for a fall trip.  (I also have moving expenses coming up within several weeks which means I can easily meet a new card's spend very quickly right now.)

Now, I can't imagine the CSP would end up having a 100k sign up deal or anything too close to that.  So I'm starting to think now I should just go ahead and apply for the CSP like I had originally planned.

On another note, I have a Chase United Mileage Plus Explorer card.  I had gotten a 50k signup bonus at the time.  About 6 weeks later I caught a short-lived 70k bonus offer on the card.  I immediately contacted Chase and requested the difference-I had the extra 20k in my account almost immediately.  So I'm kinda thinking about not waiting right now and if indeed a (perhaps unlikely?) higher bonus comes out on the CSP next month to just ask for the difference.

I just wish I knew what this offer was going to be/on what card.  I'm single so even if the CSR goes back up to a 100k signup it wouldn't make a difference for me as I don't have a spouse currently without the card that could then get it...

EconDiva

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #16 on: August 12, 2017, 10:01:29 AM »
Ill sign up for it this time.  this time things will be different.  Already scored on the 100k amex deal...now need this.

Which deal was this?  Is there a thread going on that one?

DarkandStormy

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #17 on: August 29, 2017, 09:13:01 AM »
Wanted to bump back to the top and see if anyone else has heard of these pending "new deals" coming to the Chase family.

exige

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #18 on: August 29, 2017, 10:04:07 AM »
no new deals but I did see the chase memo on Doc yesterday about only allowing 1 sapphire card per customer... Sucks for those who have 1 already and only 1.

Catbert

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #19 on: August 29, 2017, 01:30:01 PM »
Those who waited may have screwed themselves:https:

https://www.doctorofcredit.com/official-chase-updates-terms-indicate-sapphire-family-limitation/

You can no longer get two version of Sapphire cards within 24 months. 

ketchup

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #20 on: August 29, 2017, 01:32:54 PM »

https://www.doctorofcredit.com/official-chase-updates-terms-indicate-sapphire-family-limitation/

Yep.  Just got a CSP this March, no CSR for me for quite a while.  Shitty.  Guess I don't have a reason to ever be under 5/24 again.

EconDiva

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #21 on: August 29, 2017, 01:45:40 PM »

WHOA.

For those who saw my earlier posts about trying to decide if I should truly wait....I didn't.  Glad I got my card in the mail last week.  Because I plan to downgrade my Reserve card soon and I needed the CSP 50k bonus points pretty quickly....

Catbert

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #22 on: August 29, 2017, 01:53:33 PM »
For those of you looking for a great bonus, but are flexible as to what that is, see these links:

Self explanatory:
https://www.doctorofcredit.com/barclaycard-aadvantage-aviator-red-world-elite-mastercard-bonus-increased-60000-miles/

A list of what DoC considers the best current offers (usually updated at least monthly):

https://www.doctorofcredit.com/best-current-credit-card-sign-bonuses/

Show the current bonus and what the highest bonus has been sorta recently.  Great for determining if you should wait for a better offer:

https://www.doctorofcredit.com/spreadsheet-current-recent-credit-card-signup-bonuses-major-issuers/

I'm not associated with DoC, but find him a great resource.  He doesn't accept affiliate links to credit cards so he can say what he wants.

DarkandStormy

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #23 on: August 29, 2017, 02:10:22 PM »
UGH.  Just got my CSP.  No CSR for awhile, I guess.  Worth rotating through the Freedom Unlimited / Slate / Ink / etc. sign-up bonuses?

Catbert

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #24 on: August 29, 2017, 04:10:16 PM »
UGH.  Just got my CSP.  No CSR for awhile, I guess.  Worth rotating through the Freedom Unlimited / Slate / Ink / etc. sign-up bonuses?

Personally I would save those as product change options so you can keep your UR points while cancelling a CSR or CSP.  Use your 5/24 for some thing else.

czr

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #25 on: September 21, 2017, 12:45:19 PM »
I don't see the 100k point bonus and it's the 3rd week in Sept so no deal?

DarkandStormy

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #26 on: September 21, 2017, 01:49:13 PM »
He claimed that it would be in our best interest to wait until the second week of September as Chase will be unveiling a lot of special holiday offers to try to entice people to sign up for Chase cards for the holiday shopping season.  He said these offers could be made public as soon as the first week of September, but for sure the second week.  Not sure the callers are in the know or not, but this one seemed to know what they where talking about.

Fake news.

Daisy

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #27 on: September 21, 2017, 08:36:07 PM »
I was just booking a Southwest flight and saw they were offering a 60,000 mile reward Chase card for $69 the first year. I jumped all over that thing. I had the same card, probably 2 years ago and am still using the 60,000 miles from that. Now I can add more miles!

DarkandStormy

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #28 on: September 22, 2017, 07:53:25 AM »
I was just booking a Southwest flight and saw they were offering a 60,000 mile reward Chase card for $69 the first year. I jumped all over that thing. I had the same card, probably 2 years ago and am still using the 60,000 miles from that. Now I can add more miles!

Are you below 5/24?  Are you 3/24 or better?  And do you have the Companion Pass?

If your answers are Yes, Yes, and No you are set up for a GOLD MINE.

Step 1) Sign up for the SW Biz (if you have a business or "business").  If you don't want to go that route, then do the Plus + Premier combo (same day application, different browsers.  You may need to recon your CL to get the second one approved).  These 60K offers end 10/4.

Step 2) Determine your min. spend date via SM (should be around 1/14/18).

Step 3) Save $500-$700 min. spend for after January 1.

Step 4) Meet the min. spend on both cards after January 1 but before your min. spend date (safer this way, but really as long as it's after your December statement you should be fine).

Step 5) Now you've acquired 120K miles (again, if you're 3/24 or below as well as 0/30 on apps) AND the Companion Pass for 2018 AND 2019!  Boom!

*Of course, if you fly solo then the Companion Pass might not be of value to you.

BTDretire

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #29 on: September 22, 2017, 08:28:35 AM »
Hi all,
I have zero understanding of this.
 I have never got a CC for points or is it miles? Do the points count as miles.
 I would love to do some free flying.
 What do I get if I sign up and recieve 50K (points or miles)?
How are they calculated? Say I wanted to fly round trip from Panama City Fl to Tampa.
How many (points or miles) is that?
How about PC to Las Vegas?
                      Thanks

Bourbon

• Bristles
« Reply #30 on: September 22, 2017, 08:56:41 AM »

Are you below 5/24?  Are you 3/24 or better?  And do you have the Companion Pass?

Step 1) Sign up for the SW Biz (if you have a business or "business").  If you don't want to go that route, then do the Plus + Premier combo (same day application, different browsers.  You may need to recon your CL to get the second one approved).  These 60K offers end 10/4.

Step 4) Meet the min. spend on both cards after January 1 but before your min. spend date (safer this way, but really as long as it's after your December statement you should be fine).

Step 5) Now you've acquired 120K miles (again, if you're 3/24 or below as well as 0/30 on apps) AND the Companion Pass for 2018 AND 2019!  Boom!

*Of course, if you fly solo then the Companion Pass might not be of value to you.

I don't like Southwest.  By as a family of 5, we were able to get two companion passes earlier this year.  My wife got it through the two SW card signup deal.  I got it by converting a ton of Marriot points to a special vacation package.  They closed this option just as I tried to do this, but then recanted and left it open for a bit longer.

So far we will take advantage of it twice this year to get 2 free tickets for the kids, and once more when just my wife and I were traveling.  I hate Southwest, but it its not a bad perk.

Dilemma now is what to do in 2019 when our passes expire.  I think I will get down to 3/24 if I freeze new applications, but that means forgoing signup bonuses for a long time.  I likely will keep signing up for new cards, but keep going back and forth.

DarkandStormy

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #31 on: September 22, 2017, 09:02:34 AM »
Hi all,
I have zero understanding of this.
 I have never got a CC for points or is it miles? Do the points count as miles.
 I would love to do some free flying.
How are they calculated? Say I wanted to fly round trip from Panama City Fl to Tampa.
                      Thanks

Definitely recommend Travel Miles 101's free e-mail course - http://www.travelmiles101.com/

Points can generally be transferred to an airline for miles.  For examples, Chase's Ultimate Rewards can be transferred to United, Southwest, British Airways (and a couple others I think) as miles at a 1-to-1 ratio.

If you sign up for a new card, like the Sapphire Preferred (or whatever is on your radar) AND meet the min. spend required in the specified time period, you'll get the specified bonus - in the Sapphire Preferred's case, it'll be 50K Ultimate Rewards.

The Ultimate Rewards can be transferred to 11 travel partners - United, Southwest, British Air like I mentioned as well as Hyatt, Marriott, IHG for hotel points - all at a 1-to-1 ratio.

That is dependent on when you are trying to fly.  Thanksgiving weekend? Going to be A LOT of points.  Off-peak flying time?  Probably cheaper.

Generally ECP to Tampa Bay will be in the 19-20K mile range (according to AwardHacker.com).  ECP to LAS generally looks to be 25K miles - I actually found "Wanna Get Away" Southwest points at under 10K miles one way - so round trip around 18K points.

Hope that helps and good luck!

DarkandStormy

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #32 on: September 22, 2017, 11:11:41 AM »
can you confirm how many days you have to meet minimum spend targets On SWA card?  if 90 , then do you need to apply after oct 1?  want to do this, and could do it this week, if a longer time to spend min is available (eg 4 months)

Various data points on this (check Doctor of Credit, for example or r/churning on reddit) of many people (basically all) that they sent a SM to Chase after they get approved and it's basically 115 days.  Some people saying they got approved today and have until 1/14/18 to meet the min. spend.

I'm still going to wait it out, just to be safe.  Offers end 10/4, so ideal window is 10/1-10/4.  If you're going Biz + Plus, do the Biz first and make sure you're approved as it won't count against 5/24.

Just make sure the min. spend occurs AFTER your December statement.  The points post to your SW account after they appear on your statement, so shoot for that to occur on the January statement.  Be aware - some people have reported in the past that they were awarded the bonus when they hit 95% of min. spend.  Leave yourself some wiggle room for sure.  Good luck!

Exflyboy

• Walrus Stache
  • Expat Brit living in the New World..:)
« Reply #33 on: September 22, 2017, 11:33:03 AM »
Of course in order to sign up for anything now means we have to pay to unfreeze/refreeze our credit reports.

If you have a significant NW its simply too risky to leave your credit report open IMHO.

DarkandStormy

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #34 on: September 22, 2017, 11:40:21 AM »
Of course in order to sign up for anything now means we have to pay to unfreeze/refreeze our credit reports.

If you have a significant NW its simply too risky to leave your credit report open IMHO.

You can call and go through the process over the phone, I believe.

I have Credit Karma and Experian alerts set up.  Plus Equifax service was offered to me about a year ago when one of the medical groups I had been to was hacked.  My info. is out there but I'm not too worried about it.  I've gotten alerts from Experian about a new card opened in my name before I got the approval from Chase.

Daisy

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #35 on: September 22, 2017, 08:12:35 PM »
Wait a second here...can this be too good to be true? I have some questions.

Is this 3 or 5 new Chase cards in 24 months, or any new card? I was actually surprised I got approved. I thought it had been a little less than 24 months since I last cancelled my Chase SW card. I wasn't keep as good of records back then. I did get one other Chase card in the last 24 months for a 0% balance transfer (all to be paid right before the 15 months, of course).

Well I already applied and got approved for the $69 Plus card yesterday. Can I apply for the $99 Premier card today (on a different computer)? Then I would have 2 cards?

I don't understand having to wait until after January 1 to make the final $500-700 spend. What are the rules fo the companion pass? Do you get one for 2018 just by applying for the card, and when does the companion pass for 2019 get factored in?

Many thanks!

I mentioned this offer to my siblings and they all came up with different excuses to not get it. One doesn't like Southwest because only "drunks" fly it and the local airport is too far from his house (just 30 mins more), another said they would probably forget to cancel the card after a year, and another said they wouldn't have to keep track of 2 cards (this SW one and their AA one).

I thought we all grew up with the same optimizing mother. They usually love a good deal. I was totally blown away by their response. Oh well, miles for me!

Just wait until I tell them I actually got 120k miles! Maybe then they will listen...
« Last Edit: September 22, 2017, 08:27:32 PM by Daisy »

DarkandStormy

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #36 on: September 22, 2017, 08:41:50 PM »
Wait a second here...can this be too good to be true? I have some questions.

Is this 3 or 5 new Chase cards in 24 months, or any new card? I was actually surprised I got approved. I thought it had been a little less than 24 months since I last cancelled my Chase SW card. I wasn't keep as good of records back then. I did get one other Chase card in the last 24 months for a 0% balance transfer (all to be paid right before the 15 months, of course).

Any credit cards opened in the last 24 months. Chase won't approve you if you've opened 5 or more in that time frame. I say 3/24 because you'll need two SW cards to get the miles for the companion pass easily.

Well I already applied and got approved for the $69 Plus card yesterday. Can I apply for the $99 Premier card today (on a different computer)? Then I would have 2 cards?

Yep. As long as you haven't applied for any other cards in the last 30 days. You might need to move some credit limit around or tell them you wanted a card without foreign transaction fees (the Premier). Varying reports on this but yeah, it should work.

I don't understand having to wait until after January 1 to make the final $500-700 spend. What are the rules fo the companion pass? Do you get one for 2018 just by applying for the card, and when does the companion pass for 2019 get factored in?

You get a Companion Pass if you earn 110K miles in a calendar year. Obviously the play here is to earn 120K miles in '18 so you get the Companion Pass for '18 and '19!  You "earn" the miles when they post on your statement date. People have said they've earned the bonus miles even with just $1.9K spending. So give yourself some room and maybe only spend $1.5K before your December statement. Then clear $2K by the date Chase says you need to hit.

Many thanks!

I mentioned this offer to my siblings and they all came up with different excuses to not get it. One doesn't like Southwest because only "drunks" fly it and the local airport is too far from his house (just 30 mins more), another said they would probably forget to cancel the card after a year, and another said they wouldn't have to keep track of 2 cards (this SW one and their AA one).

I thought we all grew up with the same optimizing mother. They usually love a good deal. I was totally blown away by their response. Oh well, miles for me!

Just wait until I tell them I actually got 120k miles! Maybe then they will listen...

Daisy

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #37 on: September 22, 2017, 08:57:32 PM »
I just applied for the $99 Premier card and got approved!

My records show I was at the 5/24 limit, but I still got approved. Bonus!

Thank you so much DarkAndStormy. I would have never thought I could get 2 Chase Southwest cards at the same time!

I already have an Amtrak credit card with no foreign transaction fees that I was going to use on my upcoming Canada trip, but now I will use the Chase Southwest Premier card instead!

120,000 miles?!?!? OMG I think I am having a rewards-gasm.

Daisy

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #38 on: September 22, 2017, 09:12:41 PM »
I just noticed that on SW it costs $90 to buy 3,000 points and $165 to buy 6,000 points.

After the one year annivesary, you can renew the Plus card for $69 and get 3,000 miles and renew the Premier card for $99 to get 6,000 miles. Do you think it's worth it to keep the cards for an extra year?

I just booked a flight for about 4950 points that cost $88 if purchased in cash. So maybe renewing is a good deal or at least breakeven?

I see in my records I purchased 5,000 miles this year to keep my SW account active as I had not flown them in 2 years. So I needed activity to keep the miles active. I remember buying them on sale for $103. So the Premier renewal for $99 for 6,000 miles may be a good deal after all.

What do you think DarkAndStormy?

DarkandStormy

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #39 on: September 23, 2017, 06:53:30 AM »

Thank you so much DarkAndStormy. I would have never thought I could get 2 Chase Southwest cards at the same time!

I already have an Amtrak credit card with no foreign transaction fees that I was going to use on my upcoming Canada trip, but now I will use the Chase Southwest Premier card instead!

Boom! Congrats!  If you have a SO or close friend, you should be able to take them FOR FREE on SW flights for two years!

Just make sure you don't spend too much before the December statement so you earn all 120K miles in January of '18 to maximize the Companion Pass.

DarkandStormy

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #40 on: September 23, 2017, 06:56:46 AM »
I just noticed that on SW it costs $90 to buy 3,000 points and $165 to buy 6,000 points.

After the one year annivesary, you can renew the Plus card for $69 and get 3,000 miles and renew the Premier card for $99 to get 6,000 miles. Do you think it's worth it to keep the cards for an extra year?

I just booked a flight for about 4950 points that cost $88 if purchased in cash. So maybe renewing is a good deal or at least breakeven?

I see in my records I purchased 5,000 miles this year to keep my SW account active as I had not flown them in 2 years. So I needed activity to keep the miles active. I remember buying them on sale for $103. So the Premier renewal for $99 for 6,000 miles may be a good deal after all.

What do you think DarkAndStormy?

This is actually going to be my first dip into the SW cards. I've stayed mostly with Ultimate Rewards before. Haven't run a cost analysis or anything, but SW miles are just a cost function of the price - 1.5 cents I believe. So you'd get 6K miles = $90 in value on a $99 AF. At that point it's kind of a wash, but if you're a frequent SW flyer it might be good to keep it for the second year. Up to you.

EconDiva

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #41 on: September 27, 2017, 04:19:13 PM »

Boom! Congrats!  If you have a SO or close friend, you should be able to take them FOR FREE on SW flights for two years!

Just make sure you don't spend too much before the December statement so you earn all 120K miles in January of '18 to maximize the Companion Pass.

I'm thinking of getting these 2 cards and getting a companion pass for my mom.

So if I understand correctly, I should get the two cards by 10/4 at the latest and save the last $500-$700 or so of purchases for 2018...say a week or two within my deadline for the min. spend requirement?

If I understand correctly I need 110,00 qualifying points to get a companion pass (or is it 120,000?), and the companion pass is good for the remainder of the year you obtain it in PLUS the following year.  What I didn't realize and what I'm reading is that the bonus points from the minimum spend requirement actually qualify towards the companion pass.

Did I get all of that right? 

And if so, can someone confirm which card I need to get first versus second...?  Does it matter?  Should I do both on the same day?  (I actually am unaware of the time limit to meet the minimum spend FYI but I'm assuming it's 3 or 4 months...)

DarkandStormy

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #42 on: September 27, 2017, 06:49:02 PM »

So if I understand correctly, I should get the two cards by 10/4 at the latest and save the last $500-$700 or so of purchases for 2018...say a week or two within my deadline for the min. spend requirement?

If I understand correctly I need 110,00 qualifying points to get a companion pass (or is it 120,000?), and the companion pass is good for the remainder of the year you obtain it in PLUS the following year.  What I didn't realize and what I'm reading is that the bonus points from the minimum spend requirement actually qualify towards the companion pass.

And if so, can someone confirm which card I need to get first versus second...?  Does it matter?  Should I do both on the same day?  (I actually am unaware of the time limit to meet the minimum spend FYI but I'm assuming it's 3 or 4 months...)

Yes, that is correct.  If you don't want to go to the "business" route, then SW offers a Plus ($69 annual fee) and a Premier ($99 annual fee).  Each have a $2k minimum spends requirement in 3 months - but users are saying that via SM, Chase is confirming 115 days to hit the minimum.

Just wait until after your December statement date to hit the minimum and points will post in January. Then you'll get the Companion Pass for '18 AND '19.

Chase requires you to have fewer than 5 credit cards opened in the last 24 months. Biz cards do not count towards that 5.  If you're at 4/24 you could do Biz + Plus but there are people who have reported applying for both personal cards in the same day and getting approved.

Only other caveat is you can only apply for 2 cards in a 30 day window, so just be aware of that.

Otherwise, you should be good. May have to call and move some credit limit around if you have a bunch of cards with Chase.

ketchup

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #43 on: September 28, 2017, 08:00:01 AM »
I've stayed mostly with Ultimate Rewards before. Haven't run a cost analysis or anything, but SW miles are just a cost function of the price - 1.5 cents I believe. So you'd get 6K miles = $90 in value on a $99 AF. At that point it's kind of a wash, but if you're a frequent SW flyer it might be good to keep it for the second year. Up to you.
FYI, I've found that the ratio of cash price to SW miles varies a bit.  Oddly it seems like the rule of thumb is that cheaper tickets are usually better value.  My last few redemptions were 1.6CPP, 1.9CPP, 1.7CPP, and 1.5CPP at $268, $148, $236, and $912 cash price respectively.  1.5CPP does seem like the minimum though.

EconDiva

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #44 on: September 28, 2017, 08:56:37 AM »

Yes, that is correct.  If you don't want to go to the "business" route, then SW offers a Plus ($69 annual fee) and a Premier ($99 annual fee).  Each have a $2k minimum spends requirement in 3 months - but users are saying that via SM, Chase is confirming 115 days to hit the minimum.

Just wait until after your December statement date to hit the minimum and points will post in January. Then you'll get the Companion Pass for '18 AND '19.

Chase requires you to have fewer than 5 credit cards opened in the last 24 months. Biz cards do not count towards that 5.  If you're at 4/24 you could do Biz + Plus but there are people who have reported applying for both personal cards in the same day and getting approved.

Only other caveat is you can only apply for 2 cards in a 30 day window, so just be aware of that.

Otherwise, you should be good. May have to call and move some credit limit around if you have a bunch of cards with Chase.

I'm at 3/24...

What does it mean to 'move credit limit around'...?  Never done that before.  I have 3 Chase cards already fyi and no business which is why I wasn't going to go for the biz card.

DarkandStormy

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #45 on: September 28, 2017, 09:13:20 AM »

I'm at 3/24...

What does it mean to 'move credit limit around'...?  Never done that before.  I have 3 Chase cards already fyi and no business which is why I wasn't going to go for the biz card.

Chase obviously has a credit limit they're going to extend you.  At some point, you might reach the maximum.  E.g. if you have 5 Chase products totaling $80K in credit limits, you might have difficulty getting auto-approved for the two SW personal cards.  Just call the recon. line and ask them to lower the credit limit or move some of the credit limit from another card if that's the case.

Catbert

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #46 on: September 28, 2017, 11:57:15 AM »

I'm at 3/24...

Chase obviously has a credit limit they're going to extend you.  At some point, you might reach the maximum.  E.g. if you have 5 Chase products totaling $80K in credit limits, you might have difficulty getting auto-approved for the two SW personal cards.  Just call the recon. line and ask them to lower the credit limit or move some of the credit limit from another card if that's the case.

Chase tends to give me crazy credit limits (i.e., 30K on a single credit card).   When I getting ready to apply for a new card, I just go into my Chase account and lower the limits on existing cards to 10K.  I do it by message about a week before applying for another card.  Not sure if it really needs to be that long but I really hate taking to people on the phone. 

EconDiva

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #47 on: September 28, 2017, 12:11:50 PM »

I'm at 3/24...

Hmmm....ok.

Thanks for all of the info.

I'll think about this but my 3 Chase cards have limits of 10, 10 and 5 (the newest one was for the 5k).  I'm wondering if I should lower the other 2 to 5 also?  My limits aren't that high to begin with and I'm just not sure in Chase's eyes how much is the max they'd consider approving me for.

If my last Chase card only had a 5k limit then maybe it does make sense to also lower 1 or 2 of the other cards to 5k....

DarkandStormy

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #48 on: September 28, 2017, 12:32:27 PM »

I'm at 3/24...

Hmmm....ok.

I'll think about this but my 3 Chase cards have limits of 10, 10 and 5 (the newest one was for the 5k).  I'm wondering if I should lower the other 2 to 5 also?  My limits aren't that high to begin with and I'm just not sure in Chase's eyes how much is the max they'd consider approving me for.

If my last Chase card only had a 5k limit then maybe it does make sense to also lower 1 or 2 of the other cards to 5k....

Their max is probably just a percentage of your income given your credit score.  It's probably not a big enough deal to have them lower it before applying.  You're probably fine unless your credit score is <700 and/or your income (if you've reported to them) is <$40K.  I'm just guessing on those numbers, but something like that.  Otherwise...apply away and see what happens!

EconDiva

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #49 on: September 29, 2017, 10:05:50 AM »

I'm at 3/24...

Hmmm....ok.

Their max is probably just a percentage of your income given your credit score.  It's probably not a big enough deal to have them lower it before applying.  You're probably fine unless your credit score is <700 and/or your income (if you've reported to them) is <$40K.  I'm just guessing on those numbers, but something like that.  Otherwise...apply away and see what happens!

Thanks!