Author Topic: Anyone altering travel plans in USA due to Corona?  (Read 32710 times)

sui generis

• Magnum Stache
  • she/her
Re: Anyone altering travel plans in USA due to Corona?
« Reply #150 on: March 09, 2020, 01:57:09 PM »
My husband was supposed to go to a conference in Nashville that just got cancelled (two days after the deadline for cancelling the hotel with a full refund).  Good news is, he'll now be home for our anniversary!

I have a short trip to Michigan at the end of the month.  Southwest airfare and staying with friends of friends, so no harm done as long as I cancel more than 10 minutes before the flight takes off.  So taking it slow.

Really starting to get worried about my trip to the Caucasus in early May, for which I owe the balance of a tour in 5 days. 

DadJokes

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #151 on: March 09, 2020, 02:21:06 PM »
We're currently planning for a trip to South Carolina in June. We can cancel the hotel reservation without any costs fairly easily all the way until 3 days before the trip, and Southwest is great about cancellations as well. So we'll give it a couple months and see how things look.

24andfrugal

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #152 on: March 10, 2020, 07:42:59 AM »
Me again with the fall wedding. I just booked one leg of our honeymoon flights the other day (we are going hiking in CO): $47pp nonstop from a major airport in the South. I've still got the return flight to book (probably to NYC), and one more for the bachelorette (also in the South). When all is said and done, I might be able to have gotten all 5 flights for $500pp, which hopefully won't be more than $200pp out of pocket as I'm using CC signup points.

Orrrr everything could be canceled. So I'm either a genius or an idiot, haven't figured that out yet:P

HBFIRE

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #153 on: March 10, 2020, 09:54:17 AM »
Me again with the fall wedding. I just booked one leg of our honeymoon flights the other day (we are going hiking in CO): $47pp nonstop from a major airport in the South. I've still got the return flight to book (probably to NYC), and one more for the bachelorette (also in the South). When all is said and done, I might be able to have gotten all 5 flights for $500pp, which hopefully won't be more than $200pp out of pocket as I'm using CC signup points.

Orrrr everything could be canceled. So I'm either a genius or an idiot, haven't figured that out yet:P

Yeah there are some amazing deals on flights right now.   

mm1970

• Senior Mustachian
« Reply #154 on: March 10, 2020, 10:26:52 AM »
One of my running buddies told me that I should book my summer trip now!

I booked my summer trip in October.  Non-refundable.  So, yeah, I paid $700 a ticket.
Hey look, prices are still the same per person.  No biggie.

For awhile I was thinking about heading to Great Wolf Lodge in LA mid week spring break.  We went last year, it was FUN.  It's actually much more reasonably priced than normal. 

However, it's not cheaper this year compared to last year ($180/night).

And...corona.  But really, we are staycationing, spring cleaning, and looking after our dog post-surgery.

LongtimeLurker

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
    • Craptastic E-Commerce Site
« Reply #155 on: March 10, 2020, 04:54:22 PM »
We have a Caribbean cruise coming up in mid-April. Cruise line has eased its cancellation policy so we can wait until a week before to make a decision.

I'm on the fence. Part of me says not to worry and just go. Another part is saying don't be an idiot, just reschedule it for the fall.

I live in a very touristy area so... I feel like I'll end up being exposed eventually anyway.

Miss Prim

• Bristles
« Reply #156 on: March 11, 2020, 07:21:29 AM »
Actually, my husband and I were going to go tour Europe again in the fall, but he is not very keen on that.  So instead, we are going to take a road trip with our camper across the US like we did 2 years ago.  We don't usually stay near any big cities and our interactions with people would probably be more limited than if we stayed home.  Looking forward to it!

Miss Prim

Cranky

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #157 on: March 11, 2020, 08:05:43 AM »
It is increasingly likely that our trip to Italy in *May* is toast. Sigh.

HBFIRE

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #158 on: March 11, 2020, 12:19:45 PM »

Nah. I’m not gonna postpone any travel I do have, but shit on the ground could potentially get really bad. No reason to go looking for problems.

I think the whole thing is being way overblown by media hysteria, but we'll see. 

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=39A7Tr-H29E&fbclid=IwAR1-OZwF2JTRFliJ7-BElpkzF8ekFOKc7XeTr7wnRlJsw71dscogTXZtCcU&app=desktop

That could easily be. But since Dr. Drew doesn’t even seem to have a handle of what the actual definition of a pandemic is, I’m gonna take a pass on considering him an authority figure on this.

I like to quickly admit when I'm wrong, and I 100% admit I was wrong on this one.  I think Dr Drew is way off base.  This thing is way more serious than I realized, I've been researching this more than any sane person should and the numbers are terrifying.  Perhaps I was trying to calm my own fears but I used a poor source. 

Here is a summary of what I've come to understand:

1) Attack rate is ~ 2.5. Flu is 1.3. Mortality rate ranges from 0.5-3% depending on healthcare infrastructure, age, and overall health condition. Flu by comparison is 0.1. So a magnitude of 5-30 times more. 3) This is airborne and is viral from asymptomatic infections. That is, someone who is infected with no symptoms can pass it by simply breathing. 4) we're seeing exponential increases -- right now the numbers are relatively low, but that's like a calm before the storm. Unfortunately people don't wake up to it until the exponential curve really hits us. 5) this is going to be long term, it won't go away quickly. 6) we need to start social distancing ourselves as much as reasonable right now, to try to reduce the exposure and buy us time to develop vaccine. Obviously with reason, the economy must continue. 7) especially those who are 60+ or in poor health should try to limit any exposure to crowded areas

Good reads/watches:

https://medium.com/@tomaspueyo/coronavirus-act-today-or-people-will-die-f4d3d9cd99ca?fbclid=IwAR0Ja43PWLfuzGcrRz9e7FDaoQ8zIOklOD4xhJ1kTzcEW0hFex4t33ycGbI

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=E3URhJx0NSw&feature=share&fbclid=IwAR0jZ2QLHDD--p2d2RZFtbM51h25mYDNMnVE--3ryI_6QKEfzMKvdtEP2XM

I am cancelling any trips that require flying in the next several months.
« Last Edit: March 11, 2020, 12:38:50 PM by HBFIRE »

icebox92

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #159 on: March 11, 2020, 01:00:23 PM »

Nah. I’m not gonna postpone any travel I do have, but shit on the ground could potentially get really bad. No reason to go looking for problems.

I think the whole thing is being way overblown by media hysteria, but we'll see. 

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=39A7Tr-H29E&fbclid=IwAR1-OZwF2JTRFliJ7-BElpkzF8ekFOKc7XeTr7wnRlJsw71dscogTXZtCcU&app=desktop

That could easily be. But since Dr. Drew doesn’t even seem to have a handle of what the actual definition of a pandemic is, I’m gonna take a pass on considering him an authority figure on this.

I like to quickly admit when I'm wrong, and I 100% admit I was wrong on this one.  I think Dr Drew is way off base.  This thing is way more serious than I realized, I've been researching this more than any sane person should and the numbers are terrifying.  Perhaps I was trying to calm my own fears but I used a poor source. 

Here is a summary of what I've come to understand:

1) Attack rate is ~ 2.5. Flu is 1.3. Mortality rate ranges from 0.5-3% depending on healthcare infrastructure, age, and overall health condition. Flu by comparison is 0.1. So a magnitude of 5-30 times more. 3) This is airborne and is viral from asymptomatic infections. That is, someone who is infected with no symptoms can pass it by simply breathing. 4) we're seeing exponential increases -- right now the numbers are relatively low, but that's like a calm before the storm. Unfortunately people don't wake up to it until the exponential curve really hits us. 5) this is going to be long term, it won't go away quickly. 6) we need to start social distancing ourselves as much as reasonable right now, to try to reduce the exposure and buy us time to develop vaccine. Obviously with reason, the economy must continue. 7) especially those who are 60+ or in poor health should try to limit any exposure to crowded areas

Good reads/watches:

https://medium.com/@tomaspueyo/coronavirus-act-today-or-people-will-die-f4d3d9cd99ca?fbclid=IwAR0Ja43PWLfuzGcrRz9e7FDaoQ8zIOklOD4xhJ1kTzcEW0hFex4t33ycGbI

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=E3URhJx0NSw&feature=share&fbclid=IwAR0jZ2QLHDD--p2d2RZFtbM51h25mYDNMnVE--3ryI_6QKEfzMKvdtEP2XM

I am cancelling any trips that require flying in the next several months.

Your #3 states this is airborne transmission, but I believe it is classified as droplet transmission (obviously I don't think anything is "certain" at this point). 

https://www.cdc.gov/coronavirus/2019-ncov/infection-control/control-recommendations.html

From the CDC link above:
Mode of transmission: Early reports suggest person-to-person transmission most commonly happens during close exposure to a person infected with COVID-19, primarily via respiratory droplets produced when the infected person coughs or sneezes. Droplets can land in the mouths, noses, or eyes of people who are nearby or possibly be inhaled into the lungs of those within close proximity. The contribution of small respirable particles, sometimes called aerosols or droplet nuclei, to close proximity transmission is currently uncertain. However, airborne transmission from person-to-person over long distances is unlikely.
« Last Edit: March 11, 2020, 01:12:12 PM by icebox92 »

HBFIRE

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #160 on: March 11, 2020, 02:12:27 PM »
Perhaps they aren't sure yet if it's truly airborn.  This expert claims it is based on most recent science from within the last couple days:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=E3URhJx0NSw&feature=share&fbclid=IwAR1P5r2yjzFBnzy0gjmzxo7b6-2Uk0vBOD_x5OK0zEKXaYZtiSuJqn3DkhA

Start at 8 min in, though there are several other parts in the interview he mentions airborn.  He claims the reason it spread throughout the cruise ship so quickly is due to the air circulation in all the rooms of the same air.

If you go to 44 min in he talks about how washing your hands likely does nothing, as this is almost entirely spread through the air.  The whole thing is a good listen.
« Last Edit: March 11, 2020, 04:10:42 PM by HBFIRE »

OtherJen

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #161 on: March 11, 2020, 06:16:54 PM »
Perhaps they aren't sure yet if it's truly airborn.  This expert claims it is based on most recent science from within the last couple days:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=E3URhJx0NSw&feature=share&fbclid=IwAR1P5r2yjzFBnzy0gjmzxo7b6-2Uk0vBOD_x5OK0zEKXaYZtiSuJqn3DkhA

Start at 8 min in, though there are several other parts in the interview he mentions airborn.  He claims the reason it spread throughout the cruise ship so quickly is due to the air circulation in all the rooms of the same air.

If you go to 44 min in he talks about how washing your hands likely does nothing, as this is almost entirely spread through the air.  The whole thing is a good listen.

You should wash your hands because it also appears to be spread via fomites (surfaces, clothing, etc.). If you touch something that an infected person has coughed or sneezed on recently and then touch your own eyes, nose, or mouth, the virus now has an entry point. Estimates I’ve seen suggest that the virus remains active for a few hours on surfaces.

sui generis

• Magnum Stache
  • she/her
« Reply #162 on: March 11, 2020, 06:29:25 PM »

You should wash your hands because it also appears to be spread via fomites (surfaces, clothing, etc.). If you touch something that an infected person has coughed or sneezed on recently and then touch your own eyes, nose, or mouth, the virus now has an entry point. Estimates I’ve seen suggest that the virus remains active for a few hours on surfaces.

Only a few hours?  Is that an update to previous information?  I'd been seeing that it is believed to be able to survive up to a week on hard surfaces. This article on studies of coronaviruses states that it can be just hours, but up to 9 days, depending on temp, surface, etc.

https://www.medicalnewstoday.com/articles/coronaviruses-how-long-can-they-survive-on-surfaces#How-long-do-coronaviruses-persist?

I'm basically considering any public hard surface I touch to be more likely than not contaminated at this point (I do live in a place with community spread cases). 

OtherJen

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #163 on: March 11, 2020, 06:38:53 PM »

Only a few hours?  Is that an update to previous information?  I'd been seeing that it is believed to be able to survive up to a week on hard surfaces. This article on studies of coronaviruses states that it can be just hours, but up to 9 days, depending on temp, surface, etc.

https://www.medicalnewstoday.com/articles/coronaviruses-how-long-can-they-survive-on-surfaces#How-long-do-coronaviruses-persist?

I'm basically considering any public hard surface I touch to be more likely than not contaminated at this point (I do live in a place with community spread cases).

I was being very conservative in response to a claim that only airborne transmission is involved. Best to assume that it survives on fomites for much longer, although 9 days seems exceptionally long.

HBFIRE

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #164 on: March 11, 2020, 07:30:40 PM »

Yes I had read the same (actually last days days irrc).  However, Michael Osterholm who is a top epidemiologist and infectious disease expert questions this in that interview above.  He seems to indicate that spread is happening almost exclusively through the air (~ at the 44 min).  He goes on to say that washing your hands is good practice to protect against most strains and the flu, but that it doesn't appear to protect us much if at all from this strain.
« Last Edit: March 11, 2020, 07:33:04 PM by HBFIRE »

OtherJen

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #165 on: March 11, 2020, 07:48:19 PM »

Yes I had read the same (actually last days days irrc).  However, Michael Osterholm who is a top epidemiologist and infectious disease expert questions this in that interview above.  He seems to indicate that spread is happening almost exclusively through the air (~ at the 44 min).  He goes on to say that washing your hands is good practice to protect against most strains and the flu, but that it doesn't appear to protect us much if at all from this strain.

I think he's the only person making that claim that I've seen. I'll keep washing my hands.

HBFIRE

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #166 on: March 11, 2020, 07:50:19 PM »
I'll keep washing my hands.

Absolutely, me too.  Just thought it was interesting, and an excellent interview.

HuskiesUnited

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #167 on: March 11, 2020, 09:06:39 PM »
Wife and I (healthy 40 year olds) are supposed to fly to Orlando Saturday, and meet my sister/brother-in-law/niece/nephew and Mom and Dad (early 70s, good health) to go to Disney World for a couple days and then to my Mom and Dads house in Ft Myers area for another 3 days.

My wife has had anxiety over going for over a week now about the flight and germs at Disney.  She has been pressured by coworkers not to go who say if she brings the virus back the small doctors office would be closed, they wouldn’t be able to work, wouldn’t be paid, and couldn’t pay their bills.  She was also questioned by her employer about where she’s been going and when and the possibility if she should be allowed at work when she gets back.  She is also worried about being quarantined out of state and missing work, and pressured by her family not to go.  My Mom looks forward to this trip once per year, and she said this is the last time she will go to Disney with us.  My wife has been torn with what to do, hard time sleeping, and finally decided she is staying back.  My Mom understands, but is crushed.

I haven’t made a final decision yet, and still could go and have a good time with my Mom, Dad, sister, and niece/nephew who all still plan to go.  And make my Mom feel much better than if both my wife and I didn’t go.  Her Mom and two sister didn’t live much longer than she has at her age.  I am not as worried about the virus as my wife.  In the unlikely event I would get it, I would have to accept the consequences including being quarantined out of state.

BFGirl

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #168 on: March 11, 2020, 09:13:05 PM »
We cancelled honeymoon to San Francisco and PNW.

Abe

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #169 on: March 11, 2020, 09:19:10 PM »
Several meetings have been cancelled, and all non-essential travel has been stopped by most hospitals until the epidemic wanes. I think that is prudent. Unless you physically need to be somewhere for time-sensitive or critical reasons, it’s a good idea to wait. Especially if you are in close contact with an elderly or medically infirm person on a regular basis.

Rural

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #170 on: March 11, 2020, 11:06:17 PM »
Conference I was scheduled to attend next week was cancelled earlier today.

FrugalZony

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #171 on: March 11, 2020, 11:20:29 PM »
https://www.dhs.gov/news/2020/03/11/homeland-security-acting-secretary-chad-f-wolf-s-statement-presidential-proclamation?fbclid=IwAR0G8MUJP3LtRg8VxXwwkWuW3Kq4Cc6xjaj8heeTpNoMe8vuj_wiVE64C3M

Today President Donald J. Trump signed a Presidential Proclamation, which suspends the entry of most foreign nationals who have been in certain European countries at any point during the 14 days prior to their scheduled arrival to the United States. These countries, known as the Schengen Area, include: Austria, Belgium, Czech Republic, Denmark, Estonia, Finland, France, Germany, Greece, Hungary, Iceland, Italy, Latvia, Liechtenstein, Lithuania, Luxembourg, Malta, Netherlands, Norway, Poland, Portugal, Slovakia, Slovenia, Spain, Sweden, and Switzerland. This does not apply to legal permanent residents, (generally) immediate family members of U.S. citizens, and other individuals who are identified in the proclamation.

I am not sure what consequences this has....this proclamation leaves more questions open than it gives answers...

Travis

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #172 on: March 12, 2020, 03:24:18 AM »
I can't leave South Korea. I also can't go to any off-base restaurants or public gatherings of more than 20 people. No buses, no trains, no airplanes.  All permanent change of station moves to and from Korea (with a few exceptions) are suspended for the next 60 days. Nobody is allowed to come here or leave to attend conferences or training.  No taking vacation outside of Korea, and the restrictions listed above precludes any vacations in-country either unless you're just going to stay home.  My son's school has been shut down for two weeks so far.  I was planning on sending my family home to California next month for a couple weeks, but the airline cancelled their flight.
« Last Edit: March 12, 2020, 08:02:08 AM by Travis »

expatartist

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #173 on: March 12, 2020, 04:27:43 AM »
Yes, I was due to fly from Hong Kong where I live to the US for 6 weeks, see family and host a bunch of art/community dinners across the country. Instead I plan on working on my places in Athens. Keeping an eye on things in Greece with no plans to visit tourist sites, but so far they look to have things manageable.

Hong Kong through intensive hygiene, closed schools and canceled events, as well as experience with the devastating effects of SARS with individuals' sense of responsibility to the community has beaten back the first wave of the disease. Even though our incompetent and unelected government refused to completely close the borders with China.

MATSG

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #174 on: March 12, 2020, 05:17:58 AM »
I travel frequently for work and we've been grounded since late February, at least through March.   I can see this going easily into April as well.  I've chosen to work from home in lieu of going to the office, because it just doesn't make sense to risk it. 

As an epidemiologist, I would encourage any and everyone with travel plans which would bring you into contact with more than 20 people at a given time to cancel those if they're happening over the next few weeks.  I would caution not to fall victim to a sunk cost fallacy - yes, it absolutely sucks to miss out on a trip for which you have already paid - but the money was paid in the past and the decision is today.  If the stories coming out of northern Italy can be believed, difficult decisions are being made as to who to intubate and who not to intubate because they lack the resources and personnel to intubate everyone who needs it.  Social distancing - especially at this point - is critical.  This is officially a pandemic, and the CDC has published excellent guidelines for community mitigation of pandemics:

https://www.cdc.gov/mmwr/volumes/66/rr/rr6601a1.htm#_blank?te=1&nl=morning-briefing&emc=edit_NN_p_20200312&section=backStory&campaign_id=9&instance_id=16677&segment_id=22121&user_id=b177efc866c926eddf3c1f33cd3bf9d1&regi_id=72974259on=backStory

Stay safe out there everyone. 

Crease

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #175 on: March 12, 2020, 06:03:29 AM »
DW and I had plans to vacation in San Juan in May. But now I'm apprehensive especially given the cruise ship culture there. Nothing booked yet.

dignam

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #176 on: March 12, 2020, 09:05:31 AM »
Had tentative plans for cruise...definitely not happening.  We'll stay in state for the most part.

Boofinator

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #177 on: March 12, 2020, 09:09:39 AM »
I would caution not to fall victim to a sunk cost fallacy - yes, it absolutely sucks to miss out on a trip for which you have already paid - but the money was paid in the past and the decision is today.

I don't think future travel falls under the sunk cost fallacy. Yes, you paid for it in the past, but your travel is in the future. Anybody saying "I paid so-and-so for the travel so I'm going" is falling prey to the fallacy, but most people are sacrificing the future travel, which is not a sunk cost.

GreenSheep

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #178 on: March 12, 2020, 03:06:41 PM »
Just cancelled my husband's flight to see his mom in Florida two days from now (per his request -- he's working and I'm FIREd, so I'm trying to make myself useful). He agonized over the decision for a couple of weeks, but it became more and more clear that it would be silly to go. Why risk picking up the virus himself on a plane and potentially taking it to his 60+ year old mom and stepdad, not to mention others? And they wouldn't have been able to go out and do the things they usually enjoy doing anyway. He's also concerned about the possibility of being quarantined or otherwise stuck if flights are shut down.

In case this is helpful for anyone else... his flight there was on Delta, and his return flight was on Alaska. I cancelled his Delta flight online, expecting not to see a cancellation fee per their website's updates on cancellations due to coronavirus. No luck. So I called Delta, and after nearly 2 hours on hold, I was told that he does in fact get a credit for the full cost of his flight -- it just doesn't show up online. With the ticket number from the cancellation, he can call to book a new flight (can't do it online) between now and January 1, 2021. So if anyone else is in the same boat, don't give up! Maybe we'll get to use the credit for a Christmas visit. I'll work on the Alaska flight tomorrow... 2 hours on hold is plenty for one day.

Villanelle

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #179 on: March 12, 2020, 05:49:43 PM »
I'm now actually thinking of travelling somewhere here semi-remote to get away from people. A long solo backpack or just a house rental where I don't need to be in daily contact with people who are in daily contact with lots of people. Roommate still works and is involved with social activities I can't control. He's moving out at end of April but lots can happen between now and then.  BF is FIREd but has a sports related side gig and around a lot of people too - at least until it gets cancelled.

Not the worst idea, especially if you can get there via private vehicle and can bring plenty of food and necessities with you. 

FrugalZony

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #180 on: March 12, 2020, 10:31:28 PM »
I'm now actually thinking of travelling somewhere here semi-remote to get away from people. A long solo backpack or just a house rental where I don't need to be in daily contact with people who are in daily contact with lots of people. Roommate still works and is involved with social activities I can't control. He's moving out at end of April but lots can happen between now and then.  BF is FIREd but has a sports related side gig and around a lot of people too - at least until it gets cancelled.

Not the worst idea, especially if you can get there via private vehicle and can bring plenty of food and necessities with you.
I can! I just rented an SUV (bad girl!) for a month I pick up tomorrow ($517/month from Hertz all inclusive) so I can go anywhere and camp if I want.
Except New Mexico State Parks those are now closed through 4/9
Plenty of BLM and NF land to pick from though.

sui generis

• Magnum Stache
  • she/her
« Reply #181 on: March 13, 2020, 09:41:18 AM »

I can! I just rented an SUV (bad girl!) for a month I pick up tomorrow ($517/month from Hertz all inclusive) so I can go anywhere and camp if I want.

It looks like those parks aren't *closed*, you just aren't allowed to camp overnight.  Day use is still fine. https://www.ktsm.com/local/new-mexico-state-parks-suspend-overnight-camping/

I really hadn't contemplated that my backpacking trip in late April could be endangered. And I still hope it is not.  We'll be going to National parks, and restricting dispersed/backcountry camping wouldn't seem to make sense to advance any sort of public health goals, so still hoping to do that. 

So long as we can find dehydrated food to carry since I heard there's been a run on those items...

HBFIRE

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #182 on: March 13, 2020, 09:43:12 AM »
Let's say you book a trip that is not refundable.  If we hypothetically go into a country wide lock down, do you think credit cards will be refunding those charges?

Travis

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #183 on: March 13, 2020, 06:54:54 PM »

It looks like those parks aren't *closed*, you just aren't allowed to camp overnight.  Day use is still fine. https://www.ktsm.com/local/new-mexico-state-parks-suspend-overnight-camping/

I really hadn't contemplated that my backpacking trip in late April could be endangered. And I still hope it is not.  We'll be going to National parks, and restricting dispersed/backcountry camping wouldn't seem to make sense to advance any sort of public health goals, so still hoping to do that. 

So long as we can find dehydrated food to carry since I heard there's been a run on those items...

So you can mingle with groups of people during the day, but you can't be by yourself in a tent in the middle of nowhere at night?

sui generis

• Magnum Stache
  • she/her
« Reply #184 on: March 13, 2020, 07:37:25 PM »

So you can mingle with groups of people during the day, but you can't be by yourself in a tent in the middle of nowhere at night?

Well, day use of parks doesn't necessarily involve mingling with groups of people. But use of a campground means using shared bathrooms, picnic tables, garbage cans, etc. And the virus can live on certain hard surfaces for a week +/- so it makes a certain sense.

Sibley

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #185 on: March 13, 2020, 07:42:08 PM »
Wife and I (healthy 40 year olds) are supposed to fly to Orlando Saturday, and meet my sister/brother-in-law/niece/nephew and Mom and Dad (early 70s, good health) to go to Disney World for a couple days and then to my Mom and Dads house in Ft Myers area for another 3 days.

My wife has had anxiety over going for over a week now about the flight and germs at Disney.  She has been pressured by coworkers not to go who say if she brings the virus back the small doctors office would be closed, they wouldn’t be able to work, wouldn’t be paid, and couldn’t pay their bills.  She was also questioned by her employer about where she’s been going and when and the possibility if she should be allowed at work when she gets back.  She is also worried about being quarantined out of state and missing work, and pressured by her family not to go.  My Mom looks forward to this trip once per year, and she said this is the last time she will go to Disney with us.  My wife has been torn with what to do, hard time sleeping, and finally decided she is staying back.  My Mom understands, but is crushed.

I haven’t made a final decision yet, and still could go and have a good time with my Mom, Dad, sister, and niece/nephew who all still plan to go.  And make my Mom feel much better than if both my wife and I didn’t go.  Her Mom and two sister didn’t live much longer than she has at her age.  I am not as worried about the virus as my wife.  In the unlikely event I would get it, I would have to accept the consequences including being quarantined out of state.

I heard that Disney (world and land) have closed. Decision may be made for you.

PMG

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #186 on: March 13, 2020, 11:05:59 PM »
Ugh. I’m supposed to go to nyc in the end of March for a big work related but not mandatory thing that I have been really really looking forward to. I’m pregnant, so could be considered to have compromised immune system and my spouse is super concerned. I don’t think the risk is high yet, but his worry is. And I don’t know how to decide.  His family lives much closer to the European outbreaks and has had to cancel plans and lost a lot of money due to it, so I suppose his concern comes from their experience as well.

Bleh. I keep putting off buying the tickets and everyone is really frustrated with me. And I am so disappointed. Do I put him through 6-8 weeks of this level of worry??  Bleh.

Just this week the entire event was canceled as many of the guests were from Europe. Travel ban ended it. Makes it easier on me.  I’m much more cautious than I was a few weeks ago. Trying to distance and all that. I’ve got some work meetings I can’t avoid.

Cranky

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #187 on: March 14, 2020, 09:33:36 AM »
I’m certainly looking forward to getting home tomorrow.

HuskiesUnited

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #188 on: March 14, 2020, 12:50:19 PM »

I heard that Disney (world and land) have closed. Decision may be made for you.
Yep Disneyland closes starting tomorrow and I think Disneyworld closed already as have most theme parks. Probably best to keep things simple now and enjoy a staycation at home or nearby locations that don't have many people.

After Disney World closed, my sister was still planning to just take her family to my Mom and Dad’s in Florida for a week instead of three days at Disney and four days there.  Which actually made the decision harder for me since then it was basically don’t have to deal with germs at Disney and instead the airplane for three hours and go isolate at my Moms house with the pool and warm weather for a week.

But then she changed her mind two hours before we were to go to the airport being concerned about bringing the virus to patients in the ICU and the risk air travel could be completely shut down and having to drive home to Iowa.

So trip cancelled, my sisters family is spending the weekend at my house before driving back to Iowa.

runbikerun

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #189 on: March 14, 2020, 03:35:05 PM »
For anyone in the States still on the fence about whether to alter travel plans:

Six days ago, my wife and I brought our baby son on holiday for a five-day trip to Malaga in Spain to give ourselves a break and enjoy some sunshine and good food. We had booked about three months ago. When we left on Monday, the coronavirus was still being discussed almost as an Italian/Iranian/Chinese problem, with almost no relevance to life in Ireland - although companies were beginning to make contingency plans for remote working and cutting back on travel.

While we were away, all Irish schools and colleges were closed with immediate effect. Spain went from being unremarked upon in the context of the virus to being one of the epicentres thanks to a severe outbreak in Madrid. Between us arriving in Malaga on Monday and flying home on Friday, it became clear not only was Madrid the centre of a major outbreak, but that thousands of Madrid residents had fled the city before it went into lockdown and spread across the entire country. When we got home Friday evening, we were met at the airport door by officials from the Department of Health explaining how we needed to self-quarantine for two weeks with immediate effect. Less than 24 hours later, Spain went into full lockdown. Flights were turned around in mid-air and cancelled. If we had booked for a week, I'd now be sitting in an AirBNB in Spain desperately trying to figure out when we might possibly get home and how I could feed my wife and infant child in a ghost city. We would have no clear idea of when or if we would get home, and would be stuck in a 300-square-foot apartment assuming the AirBNB host was willing to let us stay. Instead, we were lucky enough to get home, and to spend the next two weeks avoiding all contact with other people and relying on our family to do our grocery shopping.

I cannot emphasise this enough: we went from "that coronavirus thing is making a bit of a mess of Italy" to "Jesus Christ, we very nearly ended up stranded in a foreign country, and now our mothers are leaving shopping on our doorstep and ringing the bell so we can pick it up once they've retreated a safe distance" in five days.

Five days.

Be extremely careful about travelling in the near future.
« Last Edit: March 14, 2020, 04:04:10 PM by runbikerun »

Boofinator

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #190 on: March 14, 2020, 04:10:37 PM »
For anyone in the States still on the fence about whether to alter travel plans:

Six days ago, my wife and I brought our baby son on holiday for a five-day trip to Malaga in Spain to give ourselves a break and enjoy some sunshine and good food. We had booked about three months ago. When we left on Monday, the coronavirus was still being discussed almost as an Italian/Iranian/Chinese problem, with almost no relevance to life in Ireland - although companies were beginning to make contingency plans for remote working and cutting back on travel.

While we were away, all Irish schools and colleges were closed with immediate effect. Spain went from being unremarked upon in the context of the virus to being one of the epicentres thanks to a severe outbreak in Madrid. Between us arriving in Malaga on Monday and flying home on Friday, it became clear that thousands of Madrid residents had fleed the city before it went into lockdown and spread across the entire country. When we got home Friday evening, we were met at the airport door by officials from the Department of Health explaining how we needed to self-quarantine for two weeks with immediate effect. Less than 24 hours later, Spain went into full lockdown. Flights were turned around in mid-air and cancelled. If we had booked for a week, I'd now be sitting in an AirBNB in Spain desperately trying to figure out when we might possibly get home and how I could feed my wife and infant child in a ghost city. We would have no clear idea of when or if we would get home, and would be stuck in a 300-square-foot apartment assuming the AirBNB host was willing to let us stay. Instead, we were lucky enough to get home, and to spend the next two weeks avoiding all contact with other people and relying on our family to do our grocery shopping.

I cannot emphasise this enough: we went from "that coronavirus thing is making a bit of a mess of Italy" to "Jesus Christ, we very nearly ended up stranded in a foreign country, and now our mothers are leaving shopping on our doorstep and ringing the bell so we can pick it up once they've retreated a safe distance" in five days.

Five days.

Be extremely careful about travelling in the near future.

Thank you for the amazing story. Exponential growth, combined with a contagious incubation period, has resulted in essentially unfathomable growth; and once the scale of this growth is realized by the leaders, it has resulted in unprecedented (in our lifetimes) controls to stymie the spread.

I still have a trip planned for Hawaii in 13 days. I'm almost certain at this point it's kaplowie to Maui.

runbikerun

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #191 on: March 14, 2020, 04:23:16 PM »
On a lighter note, "getting home with 24 hours to spare before an unprecedented lockdown" is somehow not an automatic number one on the list of the scariest holiday-related things my wife and I have dealt with in the last few years. In 2016, we flew to Belgium two days after the Zaventem airport attack, specifically to stand in crowds at cycling races, and the previous year we were mildly teargassed in Istanbul and woken up by an earthquake in Gallipoli.

Looking at it written down, I think maybe we're cursed.

BECABECA

• Bristles
  • Retired since July 2017, not bored yet!
« Reply #192 on: March 14, 2020, 04:31:08 PM »
My county reported their first case of COVID-19 community transmission of unknown origin, so my household will not be traveling outside of our county at this point, as we could unknowingly spread it to an area that doesn’t yet have community transmission. At this point we are now only eating food that we prepared at home, as we have to act in a way that assumes people we come into contact with have it. We’re taking our temperatures daily so if we get a fever we will self quarantine and not be part of the further spread. We are minimizing our trips out of the house, and are washing our hands right when we get home (and not touching our faces anytime we aren’t at home). I’ve offered to run errands for my 84 year old friend so she can stay safely isolated at home.

GuitarStv

• Senior Mustachian
« Reply #193 on: March 14, 2020, 04:35:55 PM »
On a lighter note, "getting home with 24 hours to spare before an unprecedented lockdown" is somehow not an automatic number one on the list of the scariest holiday-related things my wife and I have dealt with in the last few years. In 2016, we flew to Belgium two days after the Zaventem airport attack, specifically to stand in crowds at cycling races, and the previous year we were mildly teargassed in Istanbul and woken up by an earthquake in Gallipoli.

Looking at it written down, I think maybe we're cursed.

Maybe you can start posting your planned travel, as a public service to the hapless people in the unsuspecting countries.  :P

runbikerun

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #194 on: March 14, 2020, 04:38:52 PM »
At this rate we could probably offer our services as a covert weapon of war.

Caoineag

• Pencil Stache
    • My Journal
« Reply #195 on: March 14, 2020, 06:56:41 PM »

Yes it was very surprising having a park ranger show up at our camper to let us know we had to not camp there past 2 pm the next day. I suspect part of the issue is that the campers skew older and New Mexico isn't a place with a ton of medical facilities due to smaller population.

We are definitely keeping to more spread out campsites but given that our metro region has community transmission we are definitely safer out in the boonies than anywhere near our "home base". I still suspect that our two family get togethers later this year may be off just because someone will get sick. Most likely not us even though it would be safer if it was us since most of our family members are older and have various health conditions.

FrugalZony

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #196 on: March 14, 2020, 10:43:09 PM »

Thanks for pointing that out and sorry for not being more specific in my original post. I was aware that day use was still permitted,
but considering Spartana's preferences, I figured she'd be interested mostly in camping. I should have pointed that out.

Unique User

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #197 on: March 15, 2020, 11:46:59 AM »
I’m still on site at a client and headed home Wednesday. Pretty interested to see what DTW looks like since I last headed through a week ago. My flight looks empty and the one I might try to switch to get home earlier looks empty also. Client told all consultants to work remotely for the foreseeable future but I’m a little nervous my project will be cut short and I’ll be out of work sooner than planned. If I can work 3-5 months a year my expenses for the whole year are covered so I probably should count myself lucky.

FrugalZony

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #198 on: March 15, 2020, 09:43:04 PM »

I was interested in both day use and camping so I'm glad you posted as th I never really gave it a thought that either would be shut-down. On the bright side, the roommates job is shut down for a couple of weeks or longer and he decided to go visit family out of state. Which is a huge relief to me as he was a serious non-believer in "social distancing" or that he had to limit contact in anyways whether sick or not. Now I can stay home alone and go do solitary activities for the most part without worry.

Ha, glad that worked out for you!
We are social distancing camping on BLM land in a very beautiful area near Yuma AZ.
I did have to go to Mexico for dental work yesterday and people were going crazy in the pharmacies buying up what they could.
Luckily my appointment was early so I was in an out in less than 1 hour.

Not sure what's going to happen with my planned trip to Europe in April.
I'm waiting to see how things unfold.

FrugalZony

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #199 on: March 15, 2020, 11:39:26 PM »
I had a friend who also went to Mexico recently for dental work but I'm wondering if the borders are closed now. Maybe returning Americans or Canadians are allowed thru via car after yesterday's travel ban. I'm staying put but plan to use the rental SUV to go up to the local mountains and deserts to do some fun stuff. Ski resorts are all shut down (as is literally everything it seems) but lots of outdoor activities. I know your are boondocking in an RV and probably well supplied so that's a great way to be far away from people!
The one by Yuma/Algodones (Andrade) is still open as of today for both foot and car travel.
But a lot of locals are concerned that this may change soon.

I will need to go back in a couple of months, hope things will have normalised by then.