Author Topic: Any other Military men or women in the mmm comunity.  (Read 29929 times)

libertarian4321

• Handlebar Stache
Re: Any other Military men or women in the mmm comunity.
« Reply #100 on: January 19, 2015, 05:13:56 PM »

Well, I've never been known to suffer from the herd mentality. I don't care what "tens of thousands of ex military folk" do. If you like city living, with the crime, gangs, traffic, and all the other great things that go along with it, then more power to ya bud. The more of you that live there, the less I have to worry about in the country! And SA isn't much of a city? Its the 6th largest city in America! "But it so spread out and there's *only* 1.5 million people"....again, I don't care. The petty crime rate (theft, burglary, hit and run) are one of the highest in America. SAPD says they don't even investigate it anymore because it is so common. Twice I have seen a traffic accident where the people in the vehicle got out and ran as soon as the cars stopped. SA is considered a "Safe Haven" city for illegal immigrants, and the crime rates and DUIs reflect that.

As for the cost of living, its not terrible, but also not the greatest. I guess if you are use to living in metro areas its cheap, but is it really? Texas laws regarding mineral rights are insane to the point that you never can truly own your land. And, even if you did, there is no water. I have never lived in a place that it illegal to wash your own car, but you can drive across the street and pay 20$ to have it done. They do want you to water your house foundation tho, to keep it from cracking due to the lack of water!

Wow, you sound like you are extremely zenophobic.

Look, if you can't get along with people, and people of color in particular, SA isn't the place for you.

But if you want to live in a city that is far less "city like" than similar sized cities, SA is a good choice.  While the city proper has a large population (6th largest), it's very spread out, and the metro area is small (mostly because San Antonio absorbed the suburbs, so that now once you get out of the city proper, you are in COUNTRY surroundings in no time.  To put it in perspective, San Antonio has 50+% more land area than New York City.

"SA could be the most racially diverse city in the USA (if it's not at the top, it's got to be pretty close)." --you were obviously joking about this one

San Antonio is one of three majority Hispanic major cities in the USA (along with Miami and LA).  Yup, white folks are in the minority here.  You may find that "scary," but I don't.

BTW, some of the stuff you said was just plain wrong.  There is no law against washing your car here.

I've "watered my foundation" precisely ZERO times in the 22+ years I've lived here.

BTW, you claimed SA was some sort of "Crime Hell" because of those brown people you seem to be so afraid of.  In reality, SA has a low rate of violent crime, especially for a large city.  Yes, there is a lot of theft, especially car theft (many of the cars end up across the border), but that is pretty easily avoided (don't drive a fancy car- because criminals aren't going to bother stealing a 12-year old banged up truck and taking it across the border).

Anyway, it's time for Enchiladas Verdes and a Cerveza (try it, this diversity thing isn't as scary as you may think).

lastlaugh

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #101 on: January 19, 2015, 05:48:01 PM »
I like how you did that! You should have a job in DC, or at least some sort of journalism (be sure to check your spelling tho). You take what someone says, ignore the facts, divert the conversation away from whats actually being said, and to your point of view. Throw in a little accusation of racism and.....wait. Al? Al Sharpton, is that you?! Didn't know you lived here in SA.

You know what? You are right. San Antonio is a great city. Everyone should move here! You can even wash your car once per week, on the grass, "as long as there isn't any waste".

I was only trying to give MY opinion when it was asked of me. But, you know what they say about arguing on the internet. Enjoy the beers!
« Last Edit: January 19, 2015, 07:50:42 PM by lastlaugh »

Nords

• Magnum Stache
    • Military Retirement & Financial Independence blog
« Reply #102 on: January 19, 2015, 06:15:39 PM »
I've done a ton of Space A research but have never pulled the trigger.  One of the biggest things I've learned is that on major routes, during the summer and Holiday PCS and travel season, it is a very risky bet to ry to fly Space A.  The PCSers get first priority, and often they fill up the plane.  There are often flights that go out with no one who is even Cat 2, much less 3 or lower.  Often the terminal's Facebook page will tell give you a projected # of seats, and if you stalk if for a while, you can start to see potential patterns.

Though we were at an airfield in Japan, there were basically no Space A flights from our base.  Having to drive 2-3 hours and pay tolls, and then having to get a hotel for a few days, or more, if I didn't get on the flight cut down on the attractiveness for me.  Similar situation here.  2.5-3.5 hour drive to a base and then a hotel if I don't get the flight, but I'm thinking of giving it a go in Spring, depending on the rest of our travel schedule.
We used to fly Space A in Europe while we were on active duty in the 1980s, but only when we'd have several weeks of leave to absorb the inevitable full flights or other delays. 

I quickly learned, however, that if you were willing to board a C-130 then you could go just about anywhere in the world while everyone else was waiting for an aircraft that had actual passenger accommodations... and bathrooms.

Of course in retirement we now have plenty of time to handle those delays and diversions.  If we get "stuck" somewhere then we'll go back to the commercial options.

Villanelle

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #103 on: January 20, 2015, 12:53:45 PM »
I've done a ton of Space A research but have never pulled the trigger.  One of the biggest things I've learned is that on major routes, during the summer and Holiday PCS and travel season, it is a very risky bet to ry to fly Space A.  The PCSers get first priority, and often they fill up the plane.  There are often flights that go out with no one who is even Cat 2, much less 3 or lower.  Often the terminal's Facebook page will tell give you a projected # of seats, and if you stalk if for a while, you can start to see potential patterns.

Though we were at an airfield in Japan, there were basically no Space A flights from our base.  Having to drive 2-3 hours and pay tolls, and then having to get a hotel for a few days, or more, if I didn't get on the flight cut down on the attractiveness for me.  Similar situation here.  2.5-3.5 hour drive to a base and then a hotel if I don't get the flight, but I'm thinking of giving it a go in Spring, depending on the rest of our travel schedule.
We used to fly Space A in Europe while we were on active duty in the 1980s, but only when we'd have several weeks of leave to absorb the inevitable full flights or other delays. 

I quickly learned, however, that if you were willing to board a C-130 then you could go just about anywhere in the world while everyone else was waiting for an aircraft that had actual passenger accommodations... and bathrooms.

Of course in retirement we now have plenty of time to handle those delays and diversions.  If we get "stuck" somewhere then we'll go back to the commercial options.

Sadly, the budget cuts and resulting decrease in training flights and flight hours for pretty much all aviation communities means the Space A is less attractive than it used to be, simply because there are fewer flights.  I still may give it a go this spring since it will be off season, I won't have any real deadlines by which I must be somewhere, and I'll be a single traveler, which is great for picking up that one available seat when everyone else in front of you in line has 2+ people in their party.  But the stories I hear from older Space Aers make me extremely jealous!

Travis

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #104 on: January 30, 2015, 11:46:34 AM »
Has anyone had a chance to read this yet? Thoughts?

Proposed changes to military retirement and healthcare

http://www.militarytimes.com/story/military/benefits/pay/2015/01/29/retirement-commission-overhaul/22482103/

http://projects.militarytimes.com/pdfs/2015-report-compensation.pdf

I'm still reading the document, but the comments sections of Facebook and Military.com are making my head hurt with the lack of basic financial education they seem to have.  I closed the webpage when I finally got to a comment by an E-7 who said "I can't possibly have 3% taken from my paycheck. I need every dime I can get."  Whatever changes they decide to the system, the DoD will have to spend a lot of time on financial education.
« Last Edit: January 30, 2015, 11:57:49 AM by Travis »

Nords

• Magnum Stache
    • Military Retirement & Financial Independence blog
« Reply #105 on: January 30, 2015, 01:11:18 PM »

http://www.militarytimes.com/story/military/benefits/pay/2015/01/29/retirement-commission-overhaul/22482103/

I'm still reading the document, but the comments sections of Facebook and Military.com are making my head hurt with the lack of basic financial education they seem to have.  I closed the webpage when I finally got to a comment by an E-7 who said "I can't possibly have 3% taken from my paycheck. I need every dime I can get."  Whatever changes they decide to the system, the DoD will have to spend a lot of time on financial education.
The military media (partiularly Military Times) is whipping everyone into a frenzy for website traffic & newspaper sales.

The commission is a great idea.  It took more input from servicemembers & families than any other review.  It's so comprehensive that the President canceled the quadrennial review that was due in 2016. 

But the commission's recommendations are only that, and they still have to be turned into legislative proposals.

I think there'll be months of financial analysis and debate before anything actually comes to a vote. 

Villanelle

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #106 on: January 30, 2015, 01:25:55 PM »

Why?  Why is it the employer's job to educate it's employees about personal finance?  I've never really understood that line of thinking.  Having a few resources available for those who want them?  Sure, why not, since there's little mandatory time or expense associated with that.  But we all know that what will happen is that there will be lowest common denominator focused program that everyone has to sit through as part of some annual readiness survey, which means overworked people who are already putting in 80+ hour weeks will have two extra hours added so they can sit through a presentation done by a command-mate who really has no expertise at all and is reading a powerpoint slide that tells them that credit debt is bad!  Bad!  And then the people who are so inclined are still going to go out and buy shiny new shit with every penny that comes in.   

Why isn't it a person responsibility for people to educate themselves?  Is more handholding by the military really a good things? 

austin

• Stubble
« Reply #107 on: January 30, 2015, 02:28:20 PM »

Why?  Why is it the employer's job to educate it's employees about personal finance?  I've never really understood that line of thinking.  Having a few resources available for those who want them?  Sure, why not, since there's little mandatory time or expense associated with that.  But we all know that what will happen is that there will be lowest common denominator focused program that everyone has to sit through as part of some annual readiness survey, which means overworked people who are already putting in 80+ hour weeks will have two extra hours added so they can sit through a presentation done by a command-mate who really has no expertise at all and is reading a powerpoint slide that tells them that credit debt is bad!  Bad!  And then the people who are so inclined are still going to go out and buy shiny new shit with every penny that comes in.   

Why isn't it a person responsibility for people to educate themselves?  Is more handholding by the military really a good things?

The military is heavily invested in the well-being of its members - their physical, social, financial, etc. well-being. The reason should be obvious - people worrying about impending divorce or bankruptcy or medical bills are not effective fighters or supporters.

Would a responsible person take care of this stuff on their own? Probably. The military operates in the real world and needs to practical, however. This isn't a question of personal responsibility, its a matter of what is best for an effective force. 

Yea, it would probably be best if we could chapter all the jokers with the 18% car notes or just not recruit those folks in the first place, but that isn’t going to happen.

Villanelle

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #108 on: January 30, 2015, 02:49:42 PM »
I'm just doubtful that any level of financial education that is realistic is ever going to have much effect on the people most determined to make those bad decisions.  It's not feasible to have more than a few hours of training per year.  And I don't see how that little education is going to have a meaningful effect, in which case it's just another burden for everyone.  And it still hasn't made the force more effective in any way.  In fact, is has done the opposite by further burdening an already over-worked force. 

Travis

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #109 on: January 30, 2015, 02:59:44 PM »

The military has a lot of lobbying and advocacy groups within arms reach of Congress that can easily influence the larger force as well.  I read literally dozens of responses to these proposals today that were against any changes to the present system either out of ignorance of the basics of investing or because these lobbying groups are telling them to.  I have no problem with debating a topic as important as this, but education is needed.  These groups will use Joe's opinion as evidence of their positions despite Joe having no idea what he's being shown.  If these proposals went through these same group would go to Congress a few years from now during election season and trot out these poor soldiers with no money in their pockets because they had a required payroll deduction or some other aspect of the proposals they don't like.  I want my troops to be successful and I hate their ignorance being used to play political chess.  I have no problem spending some personal time teaching my troops how to use their TSP and finding ways to save some money.  Quite often they ignore what I have to say, but every now and then the message gets through. Is it my responsibility? No.  Do I think it's in mine and my unit's best interests to have financially-educated troops? Absolutely.

RFAAOATB

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #110 on: January 30, 2015, 05:06:17 PM »
Basically a 20% cut in defined benefit pension for a 5 percent match in TSP contributions?  I don't like the chart on the military times site since it did not show the current defined benefit plan plus investing in the TSP even without the government match and compared it to the proposed defined benefit plan plus individual TSP contributions and matching TSP contributions.  I volunteered to give a class on the TSP for next drill so I may have to talk about this article as well.

RogueSqPewPew

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #111 on: January 31, 2015, 12:32:34 PM »
A little late to the party....

Husband and I are both AD O-3s, no kids. We're somewhat new to MMM, but we're on track to FIRE by the time we get out at 20.  We are saving enough that we won't have to rely on our pensions, and that the military won't hold us hostage to it if we suddenly decide it sucks and opt to get out.  So long as that doesn't happen in the next 5-6 years, we'll have FU money to leave if we want.

It's great to be on the same page with him when it comes to finances.