Author Topic: Any Golfers on Here?  (Read 6411 times)

ReadySetMillionaire

• Handlebar Stache
Any Golfers on Here?
« on: July 22, 2019, 08:02:45 AM »
I did a Google search on here and wasn't able to find a golf thread from the last three years.

I used to play a ton back in high school and consistently shot about 42-44.  I stopped playing for almost a decade but just picked up the game again this year, and I'm having a lot of fun. I've been out about 5-6 times and I just shot a 41 yesterday, which was great.

The benefits are great.  I walk instead of ride, so it's great exercise.  I also have been able to get in touch with old high school friends, and it's been a ton of fun getting to seem them somewhat regularly again.

In terms of doing golf frugally:

1. I still use my clubs from 10 years ago. Might upgrade these once I pay off my student loans.

2. I always walk, which has way cheaper greens fees than riding.

3. I try to play during "twilight" hours, which cuts the greens fees by about 40%.  You can play 18 at many courses for just $25 if you start after 4:00 PM.

4. I keep an eye on "flash sales" at Dicks' Sporting Goods.  I just bought three dozen Callaway Diablo balls that retail for $28 and are on sale for 3/$50, which is a great deal. Ball feels soft but doesn't sacrifice distance.

Since I'm self-employed, I'm actually looking to start playing even more regularly.  I imagine I'm going to try and start playing 2-3 times a week, with 1-2 times during the week and once on the weekend.

Any other golfers out there? Any money saving tips for this otherwise expensive hobby?

Greystache

• Pencil Stache
Re: Any Golfers on Here?
« Reply #1 on: July 22, 2019, 08:29:39 AM »
I am a fairly frugal golfer. Here is a list of the ways that I minimize my costs:
1. Never pay retail for golf clubs. I usually buy clubs from discount sellers on line or used clubs from Craigs list or friends.
2. Learn how to regrip your own clubs and buy replacement grips from discount sources.
3. I haven't bought a golf ball in many years. I find 'em faster than I lose 'em. Also, get a lot of golf crap as gifts because I don't really need anything else and my kids don't know what else to get for me.
4. Some golf management companies have discount programs where you pay a monthly fee and you get range balls and discounts on green fees and drinks. I pay $40 and month and get all the range balls I can hit, $5 off fees at certain times and a beer with each round. This can more than pay for itself if you play and practice enough.
5. I don't do it any more, but shortly after I retired, I volunteered at my favorite course and traded my time for free golf. 
6. Most of my golf clothes were either gifts or purchased at thrift stores. It is not uncommon to find a shirt that retails for $65 listed for $3 or  $4 at a thrift store.

HPstache

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #2 on: July 22, 2019, 08:37:00 AM »
Love playing golf.  I wish I could play more often, but it's hard to get away for a 4 hours with 3 young kids.  The only money saving tip I have is investing in a ball retriever and walking around the edges of ponds along your way on the course!

ReadySetMillionaire

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #3 on: July 22, 2019, 08:39:36 AM »
I know I'm not great or anything, but I've found when I use random balls, my feel around the greens is a lot different.  It's definitely mental, but I like playing with the same ball each year.

I do, however, go out of my way to find the extras laying around. I use these in my practice rounds, which are probably my favorite -- go out by myself, walk nine holes, play 3-4 balls a hole. It's great.

theSlowTurtle

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #4 on: July 22, 2019, 08:50:23 AM »
Used to golf. My last semester of college I only was taking 9 credits and the local 36 hole course had  $200 membership for the semester. Only had to pay if took a cart, so I of course walked. After graduation I could really only play on weekends (when everyone else does) and its more expensive. That coupled with the fact that it seemed near impossible to finish a round in less than 5 hours with all the hackers led me to stop. Also found, at least for me practice/consistency were key and I don't have/want to devote that much time to it.

I have since taken up disc golf! I really enjoy the free cost of play after buying discs and its faster too!

DadJokes

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #5 on: July 22, 2019, 08:59:39 AM »
I enjoy golf, but I have definitely played a lot less than I would like. I've only played one 9-hole round this year so far.

I bought my clubs private sale from someone on Facebook Marketplace. It seemed to be the kind of guy who replaces his clubs every few years, so they were pretty nice and only cost $100. That's a really good find for quality left-handed clubs, which are few and far between.

If I play 9 holes, I walk. It takes me too long to walk 18 holes, so the few times I do a full 18, I get a cart.

As for golf balls, I found a guy on Craigslist who retired and spends his free time trudging through the woods around the nearby golf course and collecting balls. He cleans and sells them for absurdly cheap, like $3-4 per dozen if I remember correctly. It's been a couple years since I last bought any, since I play so infrequently these days.

ReadySetMillionaire

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #6 on: July 22, 2019, 11:31:12 AM »
As for golf balls, I found a guy on Craigslist who retired and spends his free time trudging through the woods around the nearby golf course and collecting balls. He cleans and sells them for absurdly cheap, like $3-4 per dozen if I remember correctly. It's been a couple years since I last bought any, since I play so infrequently these days.
I've thought about doing this.

I forgot my favorite part about this summer so far -- short range practice is completely free.  I'm really trying to work on my short game (5-10 yards off the green) this year.  There's a golf course right next to my office so I'm trying to go for about 30-60 minutes a couple times a week.

Schaefer Light

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #7 on: July 22, 2019, 12:21:34 PM »
4. Some golf management companies have discount programs where you pay a monthly fee and you get range balls and discounts on green fees and drinks. I pay $40 and month and get all the range balls I can hit, $5 off fees at certain times and a beer with each round. This can more than pay for itself if you play and practice enough.
$40 a month for unlimited range balls?  That is an incredible deal.  I'd live at the range if I could find a deal like that ;).

HPstache

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #8 on: July 22, 2019, 12:26:49 PM »
I've thought about doing this.

I forgot my favorite part about this summer so far -- short range practice is completely free.  I'm really trying to work on my short game (5-10 yards off the green) this year.  There's a golf course right next to my office so I'm trying to go for about 30-60 minutes a couple times a week.

I did this as a kid.  My grandparents lived on a golf course so at dusk I would go out and walk around the edge in bare feet and find golf balls with my feet.  I could easily find 100 in a summer evening.  I would clean them and then sell them on the edge of their property which was conveniently at the tee box for the 9th hole so I'd catch the guys under prepared for the back 9 and knowing they'd pay 2-3X for used balls at the Pro Shop.  I made an absolute kid-killing for money... easily $50 in a few hours.  I sold them for $0.50 each or $5/doz.

By the River

• Bristles
« Reply #9 on: July 22, 2019, 12:47:27 PM »
Limited applicability frugal tip...my high school age son works at a public golf course.  He gets free bucket of balls on the range and can bring someone with him for free when he golfs.  Cart is/is not included depending on who is working the desk. 

He likes working the golf course much more than the week he spent working food service.

pbkmaine

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #10 on: July 22, 2019, 01:03:57 PM »
I live in The Villages, which has 40 or so 9-hole courses that are part of the monthly amenities fee. There are no additional charges if you walk, so I bought a pull cart for $40 on Amazon, used golf balls for 50 cents each, and used clubs from the pro shop. Here, it’s a cheap hobby.

golfreak12

• Bristles
« Reply #11 on: July 23, 2019, 02:09:31 PM »
Lifetime golfer here.
I used to play 1-2 times a week but I haven't done so in about  year cause we all changed our schedule.
Golf is really not expensive.
You can get a nice new set or used brand name set at Calaway Pre-owned for $200. Brand new balls can be had for less than $.50/ball.
During the Tiger era, golf was booming here in Orlando. Golf was cheap. You can play weekdays at a nice golf course for $25 and twilight for less than $20 with cart. Golf only got expensive during the winter time when the Northern folks came down to play golf.
Now a day, golf course here are closing cause less people are picking up the sport.

5 yrs ago I moved into a golf community and I live right on the 8th green/9th tee.
It was like a dream come true. I can go practice chipping and putting whenever and even hit balls off the tee.
The amount of time(s), I spent doing that while I lived there for 5 yrs = 0.

sonoranson

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #12 on: July 23, 2019, 03:05:13 PM »
I play.  My wife would tell you I play a LOT :)

I enjoy the challenge of trying to get better and better.  It also gets me out of the house for a few hours with friends and moving around.  This time of year is cheap pretty well all week.  The prices ramp up Nov-April here.  I generally use balls i've found in the desert during the week (free).  There's a neighborhood course down the street that's low-moderate priced where i keep a membership.  It gives me highly prorated rates all year that allows me to spread out the cost month to month.  Today will cost me $5 with a cart as an example.  There is a price point where you can max out for the year and then the rest of your rounds are free until the renewal on Jan 1.

Regarding clubs, I'd look for a mom and pop shop.  A lot of guys buy the newest clubs that are released and pay full sticker.  Then they realize it's not going to fix their game and trade them in for another new something.  Some golf shops will buy them as trade in and resell them for way less than full sticker.  You could find a fairly new set of irons for 20-30% of what they cost new in very good shape.  Ebay is another place to pick up great prices on used clubs.  Any route you go in getting newer clubs, i'd advise finding someplace to get fit for them correctly.  Things like shaft length, shaft type, lie angle, grip size, etc. all matter in hitting the ball with any consistency.  It doesn't matter how much you spend on a club, if it isn't fit for you and your swing, you're really handicapping yourself in how quickly your skill progresses.

Rubes33

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #13 on: July 23, 2019, 03:37:03 PM »
I usually just walk on to the course and start playing.  The staff at the golf courses rarely catch me. I've actually had them wave to me several times as I was finishing up. It's a great way to save money and play the game that you love.  It's also great exercise, because obviously you aren't able to use a golf cart so you have to walk the full 18. I play probably 2-3 times per week.  So let's say ($30/round x 2) = $60 per week.  That's over $3,000 dollars per year in savings. 

golfreak12

• Bristles
« Reply #14 on: July 23, 2019, 05:06:03 PM »
I usually just walk on to the course and start playing.  The staff at the golf courses rarely catch me. I've actually had them wave to me several times as I was finishing up. It's a great way to save money and play the game that you love.  It's also great exercise, because obviously you aren't able to use a golf cart so you have to walk the full 18. I play probably 2-3 times per week.  So let's say ($30/round x 2) = $60 per week.  That's over $3,000 dollars per year in savings.

Dang, did you really just brag about stealing ??

mikemagz11

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #15 on: July 23, 2019, 07:10:06 PM »
1. When buying clubs, wait until November time when the new year's clubs usually come out. It's the offseason in most places and last year's models are usually pretty well discounted.

2. Look for tee times on golf now or tee off. You can save a ton if you find hot deals.

3. Love the Callaway Diablo and they are very well priced. Also Vice balls which are online only are great quality for cheap.

ReadySetMillionaire

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #16 on: July 23, 2019, 07:20:29 PM »
1. When buying clubs, wait until November time when the new year's clubs usually come out. It's the offseason in most places and last year's models are usually pretty well discounted.

2. Look for tee times on golf now or tee off. You can save a ton if you find hot deals.

3. Love the Callaway Diablo and they are very well priced. Also Vice balls which are online only are great quality for cheap.

Glad I saw this post about waiting for deals. I love my Nike irons -- they were probably $1,200 clubs and I bought them from my friend for $100 about 10 years ago.

By my woods are ancient. During a round the other day, I borrowed my friend's Titlelist T3 3 Wood and hit it a solid 260. If I catch my 3 wood -- a 15 or 20 year old MaxFli -- it goes about 240 at best. I also borrowed his 5 wood and hit it a good 15 yards further than my current 5 wood.

This of course led me to browse all the various golf stores, which in turn gives me anxiety about "hobby creep." Looks like the best and newest fairway woods are about $300 each. Not my cup of tea given my handicap.

I guess I'll continue to improve my swing and then take a look in October or November.

I enjoy the challenge of trying to get better and better.

This is ultimately what gets me. There's no doubt that the newest and greatest clubs aren't that big of a difference year over year. But 15 years apart, you are talking about different generations of technology. And 15-20 yards off the tee (I either play a 3 or 5 off every non-par 3 tee) is a 1-2 club difference, which makes a huge difference.

But, I need to remember how to chip and putt again before I get all hot and bothered by the thought of new clubs. "Drive for show, putt for dough" as my grandpa used to say.
« Last Edit: July 23, 2019, 07:24:50 PM by ReadySetMillionaire »

Rufus.T.Firefly

• Bristles
« Reply #17 on: July 24, 2019, 05:41:42 AM »
I know I'm not great or anything, but I've found when I use random balls, my feel around the greens is a lot different.  It's definitely mental, but I like playing with the same ball each year.

I do, however, go out of my way to find the extras laying around. I use these in my practice rounds, which are probably my favorite -- go out by myself, walk nine holes, play 3-4 balls a hole. It's great.

I think premium balls do make a difference if you're shooting in the 80s. I like better balls too.

I got a bucket (48 balls) of Pro V1s for about $50 from lostgolfballs.com. This is about 75% discount on retail. I was very happy with the quality - I think I went with "near mint" condition - they essentially look like they have been played 1-2 holes. Good item to ask for a birthday gift.

ReadySetMillionaire

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #18 on: July 24, 2019, 05:54:54 AM »

I think premium balls do make a difference if you're shooting in the 80s. I like better balls too.

I got a bucket (48 balls) of Pro V1s for about $50 from lostgolfballs.com. This is about 75% discount on retail. I was very happy with the quality - I think I went with "near mint" condition - they essentially look like they have been played 1-2 holes. Good item to ask for a birthday gift.

I usually shoot 85-88. I didn't know about that website you linked, but the best discount golf ball I've found is the Callaway Diablo.  Soft feel but doesn't sacrifice distance. Feels good off the tee and around the greens. You can get three dozen at Dick's for $50 on a pretty regular basis.

Schaefer Light

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #19 on: July 24, 2019, 07:47:50 AM »
Damn, it feels good to be a gangster.

h82goslw

• Stubble
« Reply #20 on: July 24, 2019, 08:52:25 AM »
Damn, it feels good to be a gangster.

Well done sir!   Love that song.   
And might I add...you must be from the northeast if you have that beer as your handle.

golfreak12

• Bristles
« Reply #21 on: July 24, 2019, 08:58:13 AM »

Yeah this is the key. I see too many hackers buying premium balls only to lose them.
I still shoot in the 90s so I'm still playing with cheapy balls.

sonoranson

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #22 on: July 24, 2019, 09:28:32 AM »
Callaway Supersoft balls are 20-21 bucks a dozen delivered to my door via amazon.  Every bit as good as proV's at 48 a dozen.  MG golf gloves are a great deal as well at 6-7 each with free shipping.  All leather.

ReadySetMillionaire

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #23 on: July 24, 2019, 09:50:37 AM »
Any recommendations on a forgiving driver for a 12-15 handicap? 

TheInsuranceMan

• Bristles
« Reply #24 on: July 24, 2019, 01:21:04 PM »
I more lurk here than post, but golf threads always get me.  I play around twice a week at our local 9 hole course, some decent clubs and decent balls, but I struggle compared to my scores in high school and just out of high school.  A 45, which use to frustrate me, usually leaves me pretty happy with my round, though I have started playing a lot better recently.

With 3 young kids at home (5, 3, 11 months), it is tough to get out any more than on Men's night.  My oldest loves coming with on the weekends when I go, but the 3 year old likes to tag along too, which makes it very tough. 

For a forgiving driver, most anything made in the past 5 years should be solid.  Find a used Taylormade Rocketballz or M4.  Pretty solid discounts out there online, if you can find them.

Golf ball suggestion - golfballs.net - he's awesome.  The balls I game (NXT Tours) are $13 a dozen, new, from him, vs $26 a dozen in the store.  And he used to have great deals on the Diablo's, 50 at a time - a quick look shows them at $8 a dozen (https://golfballs.net/products/diablo-1)

For used clubs, golfwrx.com/classifieds   

SnipTheDog

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #25 on: July 26, 2019, 09:06:21 AM »
I used to play a lot.  But with the high cost of green fees, I just couldn't justify it anymore.  Used to play quite a bit with my family, but even they have dropped the sport.  I'll pick it back up sometime if I move to a LCOL location.

I would recommend joining up the your version of the USGA men's club (NCGA here).  Competing in tournaments is a great way to find out where your golf weaknesses lie.  It's also fun to see the ringers turn up to compete at an 18 handicap when you can see from their swing that they're maybe an 8.

sonoranson

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #26 on: July 26, 2019, 09:23:52 AM »

Ping G400 or G400 Max.  You'll find a lot of web articles how forgiving they are on off center hits.  They've been replaced by the G410 so they aren't full sticker anymore.  Standard shaft for average swing speeds.  Stiff shaft possibly if your swing speed is over 100mph.

ReadySetMillionaire

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #27 on: July 28, 2019, 06:50:00 PM »

Ping G400 or G400 Max.  You'll find a lot of web articles how forgiving they are on off center hits.  They've been replaced by the G410 so they aren't full sticker anymore.  Standard shaft for average swing speeds.  Stiff shaft possibly if your swing speed is over 100mph.

Thanks for the recommendation. My friend is actually going to give me his three year old Taylormade M2. That's still a $200 club and he's just going to give it me. Nice win.

Also, I was playing with him the other day. This is the same guy I bought my irons from about 10 years ago. He is about a 6 handicap -- very, very good player.

He noticed I was still using the clubs he gave me that long ago. They are now 12 or so years old. He told me that those irons are for low handicap players -- less forgiving, more spin, etc. So my off shots are more "off" both in terms of distance and misdirection. For instance, if I pull a shot, it goes further left than a more forgiving iron.

He recommended the Taylormade M6.  This seems like the newest generation of mid-handicap irons. Looks like last year's set was the M4. They retailed for $900 last year and they are $600 now.

I went to the golf shop today and hit them, and good heavens. I was hitting the four iron 230 (current is about 200-210). I absolutely roped it one shot and it went 254. Yowsers.

I was hitting the seven iron about 190 (current is about 175). I didn't get a chance to hit the other ones, but the four and seven are my money clubs, and these felt great.

Perhaps I'm crazy but $600 seems like a steal given that I'll keep these for another ten years. I'm sleeping on it but I think I'm going to pull the trigger tomorrow.

ETA: they have an open box set of the M4s that's missing a six iron for $350. I can probably hit the seven 185-190 and the five about 210-215 (basing on how I hit the four). Do I even need the six? Or would you want the whole set?
« Last Edit: July 28, 2019, 07:13:14 PM by ReadySetMillionaire »

yakamashii

• Stubble
« Reply #28 on: July 28, 2019, 07:40:13 PM »
ETA: they have an open box set of the M4s that's missing a six iron for $350. I can probably hit the seven 185-190 and the five about 210-215 (basing on how I hit the four). Do I even need the six? Or would you want the whole set?

I'd go for that if you can reliably shorten up with the five, or purposely stay out of that zone when you play. I take the latter approach when I'm not feeling so good with certain clubs on a given day, but I wouldn't like to have that gap built into my game, especially on longer courses.

sonoranson

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #29 on: July 29, 2019, 06:02:52 AM »
There are websites out there that sell individual clubs. Golfclubfinder.com i think?  I wouldn’t want to be missing a mid iron but up to you.

ReadySetMillionaire

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #30 on: July 29, 2019, 06:15:05 AM »
After sleeping on it, I'm definitely going to get the Cleveland wedges (my sand wedge is older than I am). I am probably going to pull the trigger on these M4s and find a 6 iron somewhere.

ReadySetMillionaire

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #31 on: July 29, 2019, 11:07:31 AM »
After sleeping on it, I'm definitely going to get the Cleveland wedges (my sand wedge is older than I am). I am probably going to pull the trigger on these M4s and find a 6 iron somewhere.

Went to Dick's again today. This time I brought my old clubs in. I got lucky in that the person working the golf section was a four handicap who really, really knew his stuff.

We did a bunch of drills comparing the two clubs where I was generating point of contact, yardage comparison, etc. To my surprise, my current irons went just about as far as the new irons. I also had way more spin with my old irons.

He agreed that the best way to improve my game was with my short game. After a bunch of testing I bought two Cleveland wedges (50 degree and 56 degree) that were 20% off.  I also tested a new putter and liked the grip, so instead of buying a new putter, I just bought a new grip. I also bought a range finder that was also twenty percent off.

In total I spent $367 on two wedges, a new putter grip, and a range finder. My friend also dropped off his old Taylormade driver. Not a bad haul for this amount of money.

Off to the putting green I go!

FIRE@50

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #32 on: July 29, 2019, 01:14:44 PM »
I save money by playing more in the fall and winter. Book tee times the day of using GolfNow. I've played 18 holes with a cart and almost no one else on the course for $10. Round takes about 2.5 hours without even rushing.

Kirkland balls are great for $1 each.

Don't get sucked in by the distance claims of new irons. No one can change the physics of loft and speed. What they do is make a 5 iron and stamp a 7 on the bottom. Suddenly the new "7" iron flies 15-20 yard farther!!!

ReadySetMillionaire

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #33 on: July 29, 2019, 05:19:50 PM »
Snuck out for nine today to play my new wedges and had an absolute blast. Shot a 41. The wedges were clubs I didn't know how much I was missing until today. The 50 is absolute dead on at 115 and the 56 is there for the 95-100 yard shots.

My putting (with the new grip) was much more confident. My speed was great. I just missed a couple 12 footers. Made everything within 5 feet except one putt.

My chipping needs help. I had six opportunities to get up and down off the edge of the green and only executed twice.

For those looking for a good golf blog, I've been loving https://golfsidekick.com/ . His premise is very unique (I think):

- Play YOUR game. Don't worry about par -- that's for the pros.
- Tee off with the club you can hit reasonably straight 90% of the time (this is my 4 iron). Even if this means 6 iron, do it.
- Play the hole backwards to get yourself to your favorite approach distance out. On a par 5, if your approach is 240 out, you're better off going 9 iron then wedge from 100 than risking a fairway wood.
- Being 100-125 out is better than 50-75. Closer isn't always better.
- Avoid disaster holes and bad decisions. Just punch out and take a bogey or double.
- Pay attention to slope of the green BEFORE you get there.
- Never, ever aim for sucker pins.
- Chip to give yourself uphill putts.

Maybe all of this is common sense, but this was a game changer for me today. I played a 470 yard par 5 as five iron (200), seven iron (170), 56 wedge (100), easy two putt for par. This hole always haunted me because I'd go 3 iron or 3 wood and be in disaster mode.

Great day today. I'm sure I'll shoot 48 tomorrow.

HPstache

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #34 on: July 29, 2019, 05:23:30 PM »
Don't get sucked in by the distance claims of new irons. No one can change the physics of loft and speed. What they do is make a 5 iron and stamp a 7 on the bottom. Suddenly the new "7" iron flies 15-20 yard farther!!!

Ehhhh I don't know about that.  Irons have a pretty set range for their angles.

Odiedog859

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #35 on: July 29, 2019, 06:40:23 PM »
I haven't seen a 2 club change in angle but the Callaway Rogue X actually does have different lofts that account for some of the distance gain.  Either way I do like them a lot.  I got them for a good deal on the callaway golf preowned site.  I bought the good level and they looked almost new.  I see they have a 20% off sale now!

ReadySetMillionaire

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #36 on: July 29, 2019, 07:00:24 PM »

The newest generation Taylormade M4, Callaway Rogue, etc., all are probably two clubs up in terms of loft. The M4 four iron is 18 degrees while my Nike three iron is 22 degrees. The M4 seven is 28 degrees, my Nike seven is 34 degrees.

These are "game improvers" so a lot of their design is mental. They have bigger backs so it's less visually intimidating. And the lofts are different to make a player feel better.

Honestly, if I do get a set, I will avoid these. I know, quick turnaround of opinion here, but after testing today, I'm used to blades and spin and control them very well.

FIRE@50

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #37 on: July 30, 2019, 10:02:05 AM »

All of the major manufacturers publish the lofts of their irons. Go ahead and check them out. You can still find plenty of clubs with traditional lofts but many others that are not. I'm not saying either is right or wrong, just something to be aware of when shopping.

HPstache

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #38 on: July 30, 2019, 10:20:11 AM »

All of the major manufacturers publish the lofts of their irons. Go ahead and check them out. You can still find plenty of clubs with traditional lofts but many others that are not. I'm not saying either is right or wrong, just something to be aware of when shopping.

I'm just saying that there's no manufacturer putting slapping a "7" on their 5 iron to trick the golfer into thinking he's better... unless this was supposed to be exaggerated and a joke, tough to tell on the internet sometimes.

ReadySetMillionaire

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #39 on: July 30, 2019, 10:31:51 AM »
I'm just saying that there's no manufacturer putting slapping a "7" on their 5 iron to trick the golfer into thinking he's better... unless this was supposed to be exaggerated and a joke, tough to tell on the internet sometimes.

I think what he was getting at is that, in the "game improvement" irons, the manufacturers are taking the lofts from a traditional five iron and putting somewhat close to that on a seven.  Again, from my own anecdotal example, my current seven is 34 degrees loft, while the newer Taylormade M4 is 28 degrees.  That's basically my five iron.

HPstache

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #40 on: July 30, 2019, 10:34:53 AM »

I think what he was getting at is that, in the "game improvement" irons, the manufacturers are taking the lofts from a traditional five iron and putting somewhat close to that on a seven.  Again, from my own anecdotal example, my current seven is 34 degrees loft, while the newer Taylormade M4 is 28 degrees.  That's basically my five iron.

I agree.  A mustachian golf tactic would not be to fall for golf gimmicks which may include club angle creep over the years.

ReadySetMillionaire

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #41 on: July 30, 2019, 10:40:36 AM »
I agree.  A mustachian golf tactic would not be to fall for golf gimmicks which may include club angle creep over the years.

Definitely. I'm really happy I read up on golf clubs over the past week or so.  The golf pro YouTubers will talk about how great the newest generation of clubs are, thus trying to sell you with their affiliate links. Meanwhile, the down to earth golf fans have great channels that basically say, "Look, the USGA regulates these things heavily, the innovations aren't that big of a deal."

That's why I ended up just getting the 50 and 56 wedges (clubs I didn't have).  I think it was a good purchase.

All this said, if and when I pay my student loans (at $159k at the beginning of this year, down to $105k now), I'm probably going to treat myself with a new or slightly used set that will last me another 15 years.

FIRE@50

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #42 on: July 30, 2019, 01:15:30 PM »

I'm not joking. They absolutely are doing that. Along with the exaggerated marketing, etc. Look it up.

For example, Callaway makes an Apex MB 5i with a fairly traditional loft of 26 and a Rogue X 7i with a ridiculous loft of 27. Taylormade make a P7TW 5i with a traditional loft of 27 and an M6 7i at 28.5. Keep in mind that the standard gap between irons is 3-4 degrees. These lofts should be about 7 degrees apart, not 1.

Again, I'm not saying that it is wrong, just don't be surprised if one 7i goes farther than another. The laws of physics demand that they do. If a salesman tries to give you any other reason for this, they are lying to you.

sixwings

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #43 on: July 30, 2019, 03:05:31 PM »
I am starting to play more again, but 18 is a big time commitment.

In university a private (very good) golf club 3 blocks from my house had a deal where for $100/month I could play as much golf as I wanted, no blackouts, and for $220 a year I had unlimited range access (grass tees in the summer!). I played almost every day for 4 years but eventually move away from that city. I'm back in the city now and golfing a bit more, but I have a lot of hobbies I really enjoy now (skiing, mountaineering, backpacking), and it's hard for me to find the time to do it again.

In university I was a registered and honest 2 handicap, I now shoot closer to +10 or +15, which is frustrating because I know what kinds of shots I should take, but I'm just not really capable of it anymore.

golfreak12

• Bristles
« Reply #44 on: July 30, 2019, 07:12:48 PM »
Thanks to this thread, I gathered my co-workers and decided on a golf outing next Tuesday.

ReadySetMillionaire

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #45 on: July 31, 2019, 01:15:52 PM »
Went to local municipal course at 11 today. Chipped and putted for almost 90 minutes. Got a really good feel.

Decided to play nine and shot a 39. Just hitting my four iron off the tee 210-230 every hole. Keeping me safe. I was either on in regulation or just next to the green on almost every hole. Got up and down four times out of six. Round even included a three putt.

What a fun game.

Here4theGB

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #46 on: July 31, 2019, 01:20:20 PM »
In university I was a registered and honest 2 handicap, I now shoot closer to +10 or +15, which is frustrating because I know what kinds of shots I should take, but I'm just not really capable of it anymore.
You being a prior low HCP should know that putting the "+" in front of those numbers would mean your HCP is 10 or 15 UNDER par.  :)

stclurker

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #47 on: August 09, 2019, 10:06:44 PM »
Personally, I just went golfing for the first time last weekend. I'm trying to decide on a new entry level set of clubs ($130), some used ones off c-list, put just make sure any course Ingo to rents them.

I definitely enjoyed it and I'm looking forward to getting out again. Not sure I want to go solo and the guys I went with (and me for that matter) can't really afford to go every weekend.

golfreak12

• Bristles
« Reply #48 on: August 10, 2019, 07:31:13 AM »
Went out and played last Tuesday. Forgot how awesome it was being out on the golf course. We will start playing regularly now.
Played a 141 yds Par3 and I got it to about 10 inches from the hole. Closest I've ever had to a hole-in-one.
Last month I was in Maui and I paid the most expensive round of gold to date. $240. It was on my bucket list though.

GW

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
  • Success through consistency & hard work!
« Reply #49 on: December 31, 2019, 11:18:25 AM »
I play a lot of golf, but it's what I love to do. If I want a break financially from it, I'll spend more time out on the water fly fishing.

This last year I checked off a couple bucket list items:

- Went to the Masters - I won the lottery to buy tickets at face value and took my Dad. I'm 3 for 3 in going to a major and Tiger winning :)

- Robert Trent Jones golf trail - My Dad's idea to extend our golf trip, amazing time we got to spend together road tripping.

- Bandon Dunes - Played 4 of the courses there (Old MacDonald, Pacific Dunes, Bandon Dunes, Bandon Trails). This was for a bachelor party and it was more expensive than my Masters trip, but it was worth every penny.

I felt guilty about golfing when I had student debt hanging over my head, but for me golf is my way to relax, unwind, decompress. My version of therapy. I can sit on the range for hours with music or a audio book and hit balls. I love being outside with my friends playing the game.

Paid off all student loans this year and I'm rewarding myself with new shafts and grips on my irons (I have hookup on that) and I'm treating myself to a brand new driver as my current one is 15yrs old. Can't wait for it to warm up again!

Cheers!

« Last Edit: December 31, 2019, 11:20:13 AM by GW »