Author Topic: Any 2018 Cyber Monday Deals for Mustachians?  (Read 4848 times)

Socmonkey

• Stubble
    • Doubling Dollars
Any 2018 Cyber Monday Deals for Mustachians?
« on: November 25, 2018, 08:41:14 PM »
I was wondering if anyone came across any deals that are mustachian-worthy? Of course, there is the standard instapot discount but I was wondering if there was anything else worthy of a look.

I'll start:

Hulu for 99 cents per month for 12 months. You can use eBates to get an additional $5 back there too bringing the cost down to just $7 for the year. I find myself watching Hulu more than Netflix nowadays.

Lodge Cast Iron 5-piece set for $69.95 on Amazon. Griddle, two skillets, and a dutch oven.

ClassPass is offering a free trial membership. It is a monthly membership type thing to fitness classes. You get credits to use for a variety of fitness classes, whatever is in your area. I had things from boxing classes to boot camps to jazzercise. Normal price varies, but in my area I can get 5-8 classes for $35/month. Maybe this isn't very mustachian, but it certainly isn't the worst. You can sign up for the free trial, use the credits to go to about 6 fitness classes, and cancel. Though if you ever want to subscribe again there is a $79 re-activation fee but it says you can put your account on hold instead to not be charged.

Ok, your turn for good deals. Let me hear'em.

goosefraba1

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
Re: Any 2018 Cyber Monday Deals for Mustachians?
« Reply #1 on: November 26, 2018, 08:51:58 AM »
I purchased an Anova Sous Vide machine for $100 marked down 50%. I had been eye balling it for a few months. Tired of the fluctuation in cooking temps on the stove.

spicykissa

• Stubble
« Reply #2 on: November 26, 2018, 09:01:13 AM »
Nest thermostat for $79 from our electric company. I've been wanting one since we bought the house (the early '00s one on the wall is super confusing, and it seems to always be too hot or too cold). Hopefully we make back the $$ in lower bills by the end of next year.

MrsDinero

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #3 on: November 26, 2018, 09:15:57 AM »
I've looked but I can't find anything that I really want much less need.  The things I need are not on sale (like basement shelves, storage bins, new trash can, etc).

I am coveting the Ninja Foodi, through.  The commercials have got me very interested.

Bracken_Joy

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #4 on: November 26, 2018, 09:27:24 AM »
Just depends on what you need. A lot of my clothes are wearing out all at once, so the sales at target and jc penny have been good for me. If I didn't need stuff though, that wouldn't be a good deal. Likewise, I don't expect that many other people see a lightning sale on amazon on smoked pig ears as a big score, but that's perfect for us =)

I feel like everyone probably already has an instant pot who wants one, but if not, I've seen a few sales come up on them.

partgypsy

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #5 on: November 26, 2018, 10:27:38 AM »
I didn't think I would end up participating in black Friday, but I did because my daughter's phone screen is cracked and the phone is a few years old and she wanted to replace it. I bought a phone through my provider (Ting) that was not discounted, but will give me $10 a month for 10 months on our plan, so a $100 savings. And my youngest daughter needed a pair of noise canceling headphones to use at school, so I bought a cheap set that was part of black Friday sales. 

Arbitrage

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #6 on: November 26, 2018, 10:29:32 AM »
Not for Mustachians, since they don't eat out, and don't eat fast food, but if one has a spouse that already eats frequently at Del Taco and isn't about to be dissuaded from that, one could purchase a $100 gift card and receive 8 free combo meals on top of the gift card.  Combo meal coupons have be used by the end of March 2019. 

I'm a red panda

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #7 on: November 26, 2018, 10:30:39 AM »
We looked at the Hulu deal, but we just don't watch TV. We didn't see anything we really wanted to watch, even for $12...

nessness

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #8 on: November 26, 2018, 11:00:55 AM »
Target has a large variety of items 15% off online. So if you happen to need, say, a Christmas tree stand, because the one you have is too small and your tree fell over and nearly injured your kid (just me?), you can save some money by ordering online and picking up in store rather than buying in store.

hadabeardonce

• Bristles
  • It's never too early to learn the value of money.
« Reply #9 on: November 26, 2018, 11:44:25 AM »
BikeTiresDirect.com had better deals last week. I got some 700c Gatorskins for 26.99ea. Something to remember for next year.
TrekBikes.com is still offering their Black Friday deal - 20% accessories and parts, $ off bikes.

Target has a large variety of items 15% off online.
The Clothing BOGO 60% off deal stacks with some of the 15% off items. I wear a lot of the Champion C9 brand stuff for biking to work, so it was nice to save a little something.

Vanguard lowered their Admiral share minimum to $3,000 for a lot of funds, but that's not Cyber Monday exclusive.

des999

• Bristles
« Reply #10 on: November 26, 2018, 11:57:28 AM »
awesome, thanks for the Hulu heads up.  I just got it.  Perfect timing as I just cancelled Netflix and Amazon Prime.

Aggie1999

• Bristles
« Reply #11 on: November 26, 2018, 03:27:04 PM »
AMD Ryzen 1700x CPU for $130 and $30 off motherboard at Microcenter for those that need/want a new computer. $5 coupon on RetailMeNot for Microcenter.

FireAnt

• Bristles
« Reply #12 on: November 26, 2018, 03:27:29 PM »

Hulu for 99 cents per month for 12 months. You can use eBates to get an additional $5 back there too bringing the cost down to just $7 for the year. I find myself watching Hulu more than Netflix nowadays.

OR Purchase through iBotta and get a $10 credit making it .15 cents per month!

ETA: Ibotta is an app for digital coupons. If you're interested my referral code is focaygr ($5 credit). I'm happy to walk you through the deal.
« Last Edit: November 26, 2018, 03:38:06 PM by italianant »

I'm a red panda

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #13 on: November 26, 2018, 07:12:31 PM »
Amazon echo dot is $20 or $24 based on the generation. Buy 3 and get $10 off.

Dollar Slice

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #14 on: November 26, 2018, 08:46:20 PM »
I just locked in a 75% Cyber Monday discount for Taxact on my federal return for 2018 (reducing my return from $50 to $12.50). Not sure how to post a link here since I got it as an ad on my Facebook app, but you might be able to get it if you search for it.

This year I managed to only buy things that I was 100% going to buy anyway (75% off TaxAct, $20 off tickets to my favorite music festival, half-price for a membership I get every year that saves me money, 20% bonus credit on my favorite rideshare taxi app, and $70 off a pair of expensive shoes that are good for my foot problems).

the_fixer

• Handlebar Stache
  • mind on my money money on my mind
« Reply #15 on: November 26, 2018, 09:30:32 PM »
$9 plus tax for 3 sets of king sized micro fiber sheets, they were on sale for $13. JC penny was giving out $10 off coupons so the wife, mom and sis each nabbed a coupon and used it to gets sheets for us.

We suck at buying stuff like towels, sheets and things like that and our only / current set had holes in them and wife made the comment that if anyone came across a good deal to let her know and BAM my sister is the deal queen and found them.

They seem comfortable and now we have 3 sets life is good...

Sent from my Pixel 2 XL using Tapatalk

CoffeeAndDonuts

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #16 on: November 27, 2018, 03:06:41 AM »
Too much but I'm feeling ok about it.

$382 refurbished emotorworks juicebox pro 40 on eBay using eBay gift cards from office Depot that earned about 7.5% back on our credit card for a net of $350ish. List is about $625. Eventually will enable level 2 charging for our car after some electric work.

$280 sense solar, $350 list, rarely below $315. Household electric monitoring including production from ~7kw solar system we're about to buy. Even $350 is less than solar companies consumption tracker, and smarter too.

$400 in hotels.com and Uber GC at 20% off on Amazon that will immediately defray reimbursable expenses. Bought with Amazon GC from office Depot purchased at 7.5% discount.

My wife bought some clothes for herself and our son at Target. I'm assured these were a good deal.

A ridiculous exercise in using up the $50 (twice yearly) Saks fifth avenue credit from my amex platinum in conjunction with a $75 back on $150 spend offer and a 10% portal deal. Geez is stuff expensive there! This was the most consumerist crap we got but we did price check and most was competitive. We probably ended up with half off $300 of stuff we largely didn't need but was still mostly fun. PJ's for kid, 150 custom paper airplane cutouts, stovetop espresso maker, etc.

$49 Samsung smart things hub from local home Depot. Regularly $60-70. Justified via water sensor for basement after a back up last year but I'm having fun with smart home stuff for energy and property protection.

Like I said, too much. But, by dollars, it was weighted to big stuff we wanted for something we feel good about and have been watching (solar, energy efficiency).

marty998

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #17 on: November 27, 2018, 03:35:17 AM »
Declined to purchase a pair of running shoes I had my eye on that were discounted by 20%.

If they're not off by 30-40% at least then I'm not going to bite.

Unfortunately, I am now getting a lot of ads on my phone now for this brand of shoe.... bastards know what I want lol.

Fomerly known as something

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #18 on: November 27, 2018, 05:40:33 AM »
$45 entry fee into the Crim 10 miler for next summer, it's $46 today going up $1 a day until sometime in December.

4alpacas

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #19 on: November 27, 2018, 10:04:27 AM »
$45 entry fee into the Crim 10 miler for next summer, it's $46 today going up $1 a day until sometime in December.
You win!  An awesome race.

I didn't buy anything on Cyber Monday.  I did eat a homemade brownie (with homemade frosting), so I'm putting Cyber Monday in the win column.

2Birds1Stone

• Walrus Stache
  • K Thnx Bye
« Reply #20 on: November 27, 2018, 10:46:59 AM »
I bought lunch, on my companies dime. Savings? 100%

Jouer

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #21 on: November 27, 2018, 11:54:57 AM »
Old Navy has 50% off everything. Nice for Xmas presents. Still going today (Tuesday)

And for anyone who needs dress shoes: Cole Haan had 50% off most items. Opportunity to get sharp and super comfortable dress shoes for the price of crappy mall shoes. I didn't do this one b/c I am good for shoes.

soccerluvof4

• Walrus Stache
  • Retired at 50
    • My Journal
« Reply #22 on: November 27, 2018, 02:32:09 PM »
Bought nothing on cyber Monday or Black Friday. Didn't even look.

Cool Hwhip

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #23 on: November 27, 2018, 06:25:42 PM »
I like to look for items that I need to purchase anyway. For example, I purchased furnace filters for 50% off.

Aggie1999

• Bristles
« Reply #24 on: November 27, 2018, 08:40:39 PM »
I just locked in a 75% Cyber Monday discount for Taxact on my federal return for 2018 (reducing my return from $50 to $12.50). Not sure how to post a link here since I got it as an ad on my Facebook app, but you might be able to get it if you search for it.

This year I managed to only buy things that I was 100% going to buy anyway (75% off TaxAct, $20 off tickets to my favorite music festival, half-price for a membership I get every year that saves me money, 20% bonus credit on my favorite rideshare taxi app, and $70 off a pair of expensive shoes that are good for my foot problems).

The Taxact deal is still available. I used the link in the following Slickdeals thread just now.

https://slickdeals.net/f/12348895-taxact-lock-in-savings-75-2-49-for-basic-7-49-deluxe-etc-state-filing-is-expensive-though?v=1

dignam

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #25 on: November 28, 2018, 08:23:27 AM »
Had been eyeballing an external hard drive for a while to back up my home computers/media server.  Got one for $50 marked down quite a bit.

SwitchActiveDWG

• Stubble
« Reply #26 on: November 28, 2018, 08:42:38 AM »
I bought an electric flat griddle for $14 with free shipping.

Cyber Monday/Black Friday are mostly over hyped marketing ploys but there are great deals to be had out there.

Arbitrage

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #27 on: November 28, 2018, 02:53:31 PM »
Post-Cyber Monday, but I just jumped on this deal:

Today only, purchase a phone from Google Fi (formerly Project Fi), and receive a travel gift card (Delta Airlines, Southwest Airlines, Airbnb, Hotels.com) for the full purchase price of the phone.  Need to activate a line with Google Fi within 15 days of phone ship and maintain it for at least 120 days. 

You can alternatively transfer a phone there and receive $200 in bill credit, if so inclined.

I didn't have an existing personal cell phone; I have been using Google Voice installed on my work cell phone as my personal line.  Therefore, this will increase my costs by at least $80 ($20/month for talk + text; I'll keep data disabled, and eventually transfer back to Google Voice).  However, I'm getting a flagship cell phone for $80 + sales tax on the phone, since we were already planning a trip this summer that I can use the gift cards toward, and I'm going to need a cell phone within the next 2.5 years when I go FI.  Sure, this phone will be a couple years old by that time, but I'm not anywhere near that picky.  My work phone is 4 generations old, and I don't mind. 

minimos

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #28 on: November 28, 2018, 08:32:59 PM »

The Taxact deal is still available. I used the link in the following Slickdeals thread just now.

https://slickdeals.net/f/12348895-taxact-lock-in-savings-75-2-49-for-basic-7-49-deluxe-etc-state-filing-is-expensive-though?v=1

Thanks for passing on this find!! This deal is still available. 

dignam

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #29 on: November 29, 2018, 06:07:34 AM »

Today only, purchase a phone from Google Fi (formerly Project Fi), and receive a travel gift card (Delta Airlines, Southwest Airlines, Airbnb, Hotels.com) for the full purchase price of the phone.  Need to activate a line with Google Fi within 15 days of phone ship and maintain it for at least 120 days. 

You can alternatively transfer a phone there and receive $200 in bill credit, if so inclined.

I didn't have an existing personal cell phone; I have been using Google Voice installed on my work cell phone as my personal line.  Therefore, this will increase my costs by at least $80 ($20/month for talk + text; I'll keep data disabled, and eventually transfer back to Google Voice).  However, I'm getting a flagship cell phone for $80 + sales tax on the phone, since we were already planning a trip this summer that I can use the gift cards toward, and I'm going to need a cell phone within the next 2.5 years when I go FI.  Sure, this phone will be a couple years old by that time, but I'm not anywhere near that picky.  My work phone is 4 generations old, and I don't mind.

This seems to be pretty popular.  I know of several people who are taking advantage of it (I've been on Google Fi for a year or so and it's great!)

MasterStache

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #30 on: November 29, 2018, 06:24:18 AM »
This is probably the first year I've actually purchased stuff on Black Friday/Cyber Monday. I essentially needed all new winter clothing as my coat is falling part. Also I have no snow boots and no winter hiking gear. I am inclined to do some winter/snow hiking this year so invested in a good pair of insulated hiking boots, good base, mid, and top layer hiking clothing and a nice thick winter jacket for skiing/snow tubing. I tend to wear clothes and even shoes until they are practically hanging off my body so I did invest in some nice Patagonia and Columbia clothing. Got everything on sale using cashback/gift cards and paid using bank account bonus money so not a single penny of my own money was spent.

Arbitrage

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #31 on: November 29, 2018, 08:06:19 AM »

This seems to be pretty popular.  I know of several people who are taking advantage of it (I've been on Google Fi for a year or so and it's great!)

Yep.  MMM actually posted about it yesterday evening, unfortunately just about an hour before the deal was dead. 

Catbert

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #32 on: November 29, 2018, 02:54:22 PM »
Target giftcards are on sale 10% off this Sunday 12-2 both online and in the store.

https://www.doctorofcredit.com/10-off-target-gift-cards-on-sunday-12-2/

I'm a red panda

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #33 on: November 29, 2018, 03:03:17 PM »
My husband got a google fi phone. We've been looking for something that will work internationally. Hopefully the service isn't too spotty, I've heard some complaints, though don't know anyone in our area with it. The map is a mix of 3G and 4G.

We didn't get the "phone price" deal, but got a $100 service credit. The device was $199, so since he needed a phone, not a bad deal.