Author Topic: Anti-Aging Pill's Effects  (Read 4193 times)

Spicolli

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
Anti-Aging Pill's Effects
« on: March 24, 2017, 04:29:07 PM »
I know it sounds like a bit out of a science fiction film now but with recent experiments on mice that have shown to reverse the aging process, they are saying human testing could begin in about 6 months and, if all goes well, there could be a pill within 3-5 years that will allow humans to live who knows how long. If that came to be, there would be many far reaching impacts to everything from environmental to political to religious...none of which I have heard discussed at all yet.

This being the MMM forum, I was wondering what kind of ramifications would that have on finances in particular? Obviously, social security would be in for dramatic changes as the funds would dry up with too many folks receiving benefits. The idea of retirement would probably go away entirely except for those who can save enough to live off their investments indefinitely and would the rest even need to retire if they didn't feel "old"?  What other impacts can you imagine?

http://www.trunews.com/article/anti-aging-pill-to-begin-human-trials-in-6-months

https://www.sciencedaily.com/releases/2017/03/170323141340.htm

bobechs

• Handlebar Stache
Re: Anti-Aging Pill's Effects
« Reply #1 on: March 24, 2017, 04:41:03 PM »
What kind of ramifications for our finances?

Well, if I had just a buck for every "anti-aging" nostrum I have seen touted on the Internet (without even mentioning late-night cable TV,) I would have enough dough with compounded interest over fifty years to pay for the installation and maintenace of a custom lap pool in my yard.

Optimiser

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #2 on: March 24, 2017, 04:52:53 PM »
The idea of retirement would probably go away entirely except for those who can save enough to live off their investments indefinitely and would the rest even need to retire if they didn't feel "old"?

Anyone who could save up 25-30x annual expenses could still retire. The age at which that happened would vary by person. I'm sure some people would never get there no matter how many years they had to save.

moof

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #3 on: March 24, 2017, 05:31:43 PM »
Reading carefully it looks to me like it might make old age better, but not necessarily make you live much longer.  It targets a flaw that lets old cells hang around that normally would get culled.  Those cells apparently contribute to a lot of old age related diseases and old age symptoms, but I didn't see any actual claims as to it extending death indefinitely or reversing the accumulated wear and tear to joints and such that also contribute to steady declines in old age.

GU

• Stubble
« Reply #4 on: March 24, 2017, 05:43:27 PM »
I'm sure there are some good sci-fi novels that have offered some relevant insights, though none are popping to mind.  Also, color me skeptical of this "anti-aging pill."

HappierAtHome

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #5 on: March 24, 2017, 07:12:22 PM »
Trouble with Lichen, by John Wyndham.

bobechs

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #6 on: March 24, 2017, 07:30:24 PM »
I'm sure there are some good sci-fi novels that have offered some relevant insights, though none are popping to mind.

uhmmm... like Dune, maybe.   That seemed to be fairly popular in the genre for a while.

Frank H. is no longer with us ... just couldn't hold out quite long enough, I guess.

TomTX

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #7 on: March 24, 2017, 08:51:42 PM »
I know it sounds like a bit out of a science fiction film now but with recent experiments on mice that have shown to reverse the aging process, they are saying human testing could begin in about 6 months and, if all goes well, there could be a pill within 3-5 years that will allow humans to live who knows how long. If that came to be, there would be many far reaching impacts to everything from environmental to political to religious...none of which I have heard discussed at all yet.

This being the MMM forum, I was wondering what kind of ramifications would that have on finances in particular? Obviously, social security would be in for dramatic changes as the funds would dry up with too many folks receiving benefits. The idea of retirement would probably go away entirely except for those who can save enough to live off their investments indefinitely and would the rest even need to retire if they didn't feel "old"?  What other impacts can you imagine?

http://www.trunews.com/article/anti-aging-pill-to-begin-human-trials-in-6-months

https://www.sciencedaily.com/releases/2017/03/170323141340.htm

IIRC, there are something like 7 different measureable ways we age. Having DNA repair crap out (which is what this might fix) is only one of them. Telomere length is another one. I don't recall the others.

Realistic life extension is likely to require all 7 to be addressed.

partgypsy

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #8 on: March 31, 2021, 09:00:56 PM »
Calorie restriction is a reliable way to extend life span. If you don't mind feeling hungry all the time.

joe189man

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #9 on: April 07, 2021, 09:01:29 PM »
Sinclar has talked about this NAD plus resverotrol combo for a few years now, i take the latter because i can find it at my local health food store, I cant find a good source of the former unless looking online and there is no good way to know if its good or not, so i havent tried NAD.

the kicker is if you have the cash (NAD is relatively expensive) its not an expensive experiment to try from a Harvard professor

Sid Hoffman

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #10 on: April 07, 2021, 09:27:46 PM »
Calorie restriction is a reliable way to extend life span. If you don't mind feeling hungry all the time.
Honestly the MMM standby of doing bike rides and other light exercise while eating healthy(ish) is probably the best way to put the odds on your side. Bicycling is easy on your knees, which is a common failure point as we get older.

Zamboni

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #11 on: April 08, 2021, 07:15:14 PM »
Drew Magary wrote about what happens financially in just this type of scenario in his novel The Postmortal.

The book also has real life trolls, carnivorous Russian soldiers, and a rapper named "The Swift".

If you like scifi, it's worth your time.