Author Topic: Fascinated by Coolworks.com  (Read 2046 times)

Socmonkey

• Stubble
    • Doubling Dollars
Fascinated by Coolworks.com
« on: October 17, 2018, 10:40:38 AM »
As I am approaching my minFI goal and subsequent retirement from my current job, I have been running all my options.

One of those options is seasonal work and I ran across this website called www.CoolWorks.com. I've been spending a bit of time picturing myself doing some of these jobs in the future.

It lists tons of seasonal (and some full time) in interesting places such as National Parks, remote ranches, and other places such as resorts. Available jobs go from housekeeping/maintenance or front desk work, to running a ski lift, to managing the place (and everything in between, I recently saw a few jobs working in a bicycle rental/touring business at the Grand Canyon).

Most of these seasonal jobs (approx. 4 months) include housing and meals, along with a small pay - something around $1500-2000/month. Some also hire couples.

I think the combination of being out in nature, having our basic needs taken care of, a bit of cash to pad the 'stache, and short time commitments are ideal little "gigs" that some in our community would love to do.

For those thinking of barista FIRE, coast FIRE, or for those already in FIRE just wanting to do something different for a couple months I think this is an interesting option.

What do you think about it all? Pros/cons?

PizzaSteve

• Pencil Stache
Re: Fascinated by Coolworks.com
« Reply #1 on: October 17, 2018, 10:43:27 AM »
Thanks for the post.  Going to check it out.

boyerbt

• Bristles
« Reply #2 on: October 17, 2018, 10:47:55 AM »
Very neat - thanks for posting!

Duchess of Stratosphear

• Bristles
« Reply #3 on: October 17, 2018, 11:02:51 AM »
I love looking at that website! I love the idea of a job in an interesting and beautiful place that has an end in sight. Having housing and some food covered is what would really make it possible for me.

wenchsenior

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #4 on: October 17, 2018, 11:22:27 AM »
Oh, cool!  I've been wondering if there was a single location to find this sort of job.  Thanks!

big_slacker

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #5 on: October 17, 2018, 12:45:29 PM »
As I am approaching my minFI goal and subsequent retirement from my current job, I have been running all my options.

One of those options is seasonal work and I ran across this website called www.CoolWorks.com. I've been spending a bit of time picturing myself doing some of these jobs in the future.

It lists tons of seasonal (and some full time) in interesting places such as National Parks, remote ranches, and other places such as resorts. Available jobs go from housekeeping/maintenance or front desk work, to running a ski lift, to managing the place (and everything in between, I recently saw a few jobs working in a bicycle rental/touring business at the Grand Canyon).

Most of these seasonal jobs (approx. 4 months) include housing and meals, along with a small pay - something around $1500-2000/month. Some also hire couples.

I think the combination of being out in nature, having our basic needs taken care of, a bit of cash to pad the 'stache, and short time commitments are ideal little "gigs" that some in our community would love to do.

For those thinking of barista FIRE, coast FIRE, or for those already in FIRE just wanting to do something different for a couple months I think this is an interesting option.

What do you think about it all? Pros/cons?

Be careful, I moved to tahoe one time for a seasonal snowboard bum job and ended up living there for 15 years. :D

Some of the best times of my life involved working 2-3 days a week, snowboarding or biking, just enjoying living in a place fulltime that most people wait all year to enjoy a week or two. Resort jobs often include at least a weekday pass.

Some things to think about though these days specifically for the ski bum type lifestyle is housing. Many of these resort towns like Jackson, Aspen, Park City, etc. are mega expensive and it's tough to rent a place on liftie wages. Some will do the vanlife thing but you better be well prepared for winter and have a guaranteed place to park with facilities. Also realize that most of the people you work with are gonna be early 20's slackers. They're gonna be late to work, not show up, late back from break cause they're getting some turns in or blazin, etc. If you're uptight about everyone around you being lazy you're gonna find yourself on an island real quick. Also, tourists are universally dipshits and you'll be dealing with people doing outrageously stupid things all day, some are dicks as well. Especially Texans, sorry Texans reading this, you're the nightmare of every liftie and ski patroller.

You can sort the above out just by doing your homework. Housing can especially be helped if you do this with someone else and can get a bigger place and can handle the roomie thing as an adult. Ultimately I think the downsides are worth it.
« Last Edit: October 17, 2018, 12:55:42 PM by big_slacker »

Wow, a phone plan for fifteen bucks!