Author Topic: ACA Subsidy - Estimating 2017 Income  (Read 1931 times)

Bliss

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
ACA Subsidy - Estimating 2017 Income
« on: November 01, 2016, 12:00:37 PM »
Our 2017 healthcare premiums increased by 40% for a high-deductible HSA family plan with a $13,000 deductible. For the last two years we've purchased our insurance directly from the insurance company because we were not eligible for a subsidy. The reason we were ineligible is because we were married filing separately.

Based on the information I have now, I suspect we would be <400% FPL in 2017 for a household of 3. This year, 2016, we will be able to file a joint return.

However, we have a lot of things up in the air (i.e. jobs, moving, selling investment property, etc..) and can't really estimate our 2017 income. Or better yet, 2017 will most likely not look like 2016. If I apply for, receive and ACA subsidy and our income changes I understand that I have to pay back the subsidy. My questions are:

- Will we have to pay back the subsidy with interest?
- Is there a penalty for underestimating income?
- Are there any other hidden negatives associated with applying for a subsidy up front and then not qualifying later?

Thank you!

Malum Prohibitum

• Pencil Stache
Re: ACA Subsidy - Estimating 2017 Income
« Reply #1 on: November 01, 2016, 02:03:51 PM »
I don't have your answers, but I am posting to subscribe and see what they are.  I am self employed, so I never know what my income is going to be.  This year, 2016, I would have received a large subsidy.  I expected higher income and bought outside the exchange, so I cannot get it now.

2017, another kid just born, and I think I would probably qualify for a subsidy.

As a result, I would like to see the answers to your questions.

Oh, and 40% increase?  Mine is 35%.  Where are all of these 4% and 5% increases the government tells us about?  I do not know anybody with such small increases . . .

Wow, a phone plan for fifteen bucks!