Author Topic: A most wonderful, splendid, glorious day!!!  (Read 3571 times)

Nick_Miller

• Handlebar Stache
  • Location: A sprawling estate with one of those cool circular driveways in the front!
A most wonderful, splendid, glorious day!!!
« on: May 11, 2018, 12:34:13 PM »
I just felt the need to thank Thor (short-haired version), God, the Flying Spaghetti Monster, the Universe, or perhaps just the real world actors directly involved in this series of events that have taken place over the past 24 hours to your humble fledgling writer...

1) my boss agreed to start a 401k. I am in charge of pushing it forward. Low expense offerings like Vanguard Target Date funds will be available.

2) my wife's company put her on a new high deductible health plan for our family, but is paying all but $100 in premiums/month, AND is putting $5,000 in our HSA (which will be invested per Mad Fientist's suggestions) We will max it out another $1800 or so for the family.

3) I negotiated a higher royalty for my book that is coming out very soon

4) My chalupa at Taco Bell was pretty good

bacchi

• Walrus Stache
Re: A most wonderful, splendid, glorious day!!!
« Reply #1 on: May 11, 2018, 12:41:11 PM »

Sweet. Nothing like a pretty good Taco Bell "food" item. ;)

Seriously, congrats, especially on the 401k. It'll shorten FIRE time dramatically.

Davnasty

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #2 on: May 11, 2018, 12:41:36 PM »

Say what!? Things are looking up, congrats.

ETA: When you say you are in charge of pushing forward on the 401k, how much say do you have in setting it up?
« Last Edit: May 11, 2018, 12:52:53 PM by Dabnasty »

sui generis

• Magnum Stache
  • she/her
« Reply #3 on: May 11, 2018, 02:19:31 PM »
Congrats! 

I'm esp jealous of #2.  When I changed jobs last year and my health care contribution went up 300% I was in shock.  I didn't realize how good I had it at my last job in the benefits coverage category.  Somehow the extra couple thou a year I have to pay toward my health care hurts much more than the fact that my salary was a little lower at the old job. And because our country's health care system is so fucked up, you end up feeling like/being a prisoner.

FireHiker

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #4 on: May 11, 2018, 03:30:30 PM »
I was with you until the Taco Bell part, and then I threw up a little bit. ;)

But, congratulations on all the rest!

wenchsenior

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #5 on: May 11, 2018, 03:38:39 PM »
That's a good day!

CogentCap

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #6 on: May 13, 2018, 12:10:09 PM »
Yessss that is awesome!  Keep up the good vibes!  And appreciate the hell outta that chalupa lol

Bracken_Joy

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #7 on: May 13, 2018, 12:27:32 PM »
Eeeeew. Skip the chalupa, so you live longer to be around to appreciate all those other things! ;)

F'real though, congrats. Those are awesome, and better yet, it sounds like a lot of it was stuff you MADE HAPPEN, it wasn't just pure luck. So well done!

jlcnuke

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #8 on: May 13, 2018, 12:39:38 PM »
Congrats!

Nick_Miller

• Handlebar Stache
  • Location: A sprawling estate with one of those cool circular driveways in the front!
« Reply #9 on: May 14, 2018, 08:22:26 PM »

Say what!? Things are looking up, congrats.

ETA: When you say you are in charge of pushing forward on the 401k, how much say do you have in setting it up?

@Dabnasty, I have limited say. We're using our payroll company to set it up, so I don't have multiple options. Really I'm just focused on getting it going ASAP. It has the Vanguard funds, and that's really all I care about.

Nick_Miller

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #10 on: May 14, 2018, 08:23:44 PM »
And thanks to everyone for their supportive comments. I rarely post stuff like this, but I was just feeling super optimistic the other day. I'm pushing hard for $250K net worth by year's end, and these moves can be the difference in reaching that goal.

SpareChange

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #11 on: May 15, 2018, 09:09:09 AM »
That's damned impressive. Looks like I need to pick up some sacrificial chickens and spin the deity wheel!