Author Topic: 40th birthday ideas (A bucket list birthday) & request for Mustachian input  (Read 7495 times)

EconDiva

• Handlebar Stache
So I'm turning 40 in just under a year.  O.O  I love traveling and was thinking of a trip to Africa.  If not Africa, perhaps Asia...that is to be decided as amassing enough points to go that far is turning out to be a bit difficult at the moment.

Anywho, I had this idea of doing something that revolves around a bucket list.  I'm tossing around a few ideas at the moment and am thinking I want to do 40 things to celebrate turning 40.  (I'm already a bit anxious about turning the big 4-0 to say the least, and I do think I want to start finding ways now to embrace/welcome/enjoy it [as opposed to having a mini breakdown once it's finally here...seriously lol].)

Anyways, I've got quite a few ideas of things I want to do already!  It was easy to come up with a list as I had started one I lost several years ago so I already know many things I'd like to do.  Just as examples, below are a few ideas I'm considering:
-Ride in a hot air balloon
-Have a home cooked meal in someone's place abroad
-Donate something big to someone in need (item to be determined)
-See the Northern lights
-Run 4 miles in under 40 minutes (I'm pretty out of shape people)
-Go dog sledding

Now...what I'm trying to decide is the timeframe for doing 40 items.  Options currently under consideration are below:

"40 before 40": Start now with the goal of completing everything before my 40th

"40 days to 40": Do for the 40 consecutive days leading up to my birthday

"The Year of 40":  Start in 2019 and do throughout all of 2019 which is my 'birthday year'

"40th Birthday Month":  Do 1-2 things daily each day during the month of my birthday

So...two questions for everyone:

1.  Which of the options above would you do?  I'm indecisive and all of them seem fun.  The options that require doing everything in a shorter timeframe could potentially get a bit hectic.  However, those options are also ones that are closer to my actual birthday. 

2.  I really would like some mustachian ideas on things to do.  Any and all ideas welcome.  Right now I already have a list of 55+ ideas to choose from but many of them I am already seeing are going to cost too much once all is said and done.  I was hoping to get some ideas on frugal things to do and things that are meaningful (think specifically: humanitarian, educational/developmental, etc.).  For instance, the "donate something" idea above is one I think will end up being one of the most memorable things done once I decide what it's going to be.

I know everything I end up doing will be based on personal preference however you never know what idea someone might mention that really ends up speaking to me which is why I'm posting for suggestions.

« Last Edit: February 21, 2018, 01:27:10 PM by EconDiva »

RH

• Stubble
To me 40 was just a number. I ended up going camping with some friend at a lake in the forest. Had a blast!

EconDiva

• Handlebar Stache
To me 40 was just a number. I ended up going camping with some friend at a lake in the forest. Had a blast!

It is.  I haven't really ever done anything to celebrate a birthday before actually other than letting people take me out for the usual meal.  I hadn't even done that in yearrrrrrrs up until this birthday this month when a family member and myself went out to brunch.

The mood hit me to celebrate this one though so why not.

ETA:  Glad you had a blast on your bday.  You know what?  I am going to add camping to the list...never done it before! 
« Last Edit: February 21, 2018, 01:40:01 PM by EconDiva »

PoutineLover

• Handlebar Stache
I would go with 40 before 40. That way you can start now, and you have more time to get it all done. Some ideas should be optimally timed (seeing the northern lights) and some require training (4 miles in 40 minutes) so you might want the flexibility of having a year to accomplish them. Sounds like a fun project actually, hope you enjoy the journey, and save one really fun thing for your birthday!

EconDiva

• Handlebar Stache
I would go with 40 before 40. That way you can start now, and you have more time to get it all done. Some ideas should be optimally timed (seeing the northern lights) and some require training (4 miles in 40 minutes) so you might want the flexibility of having a year to accomplish them. Sounds like a fun project actually, hope you enjoy the journey, and save one really fun thing for your birthday!

Great minds think alike.... ;)

That's actually the one I'm leaning towards (at the moment) for the 'exact' reasons you mention.  One of the things I like about the "shorter timeframe" options is that they sort of "build a bit of anticipation" leading up to the big day so to speak.

I haven't been "in the mood" for all that many projects in a while so I am looking at this also as something to feed my creativity, which is a larger goal within itself I am trying to do better at.  (Last creative type of projects I did were a video of a trip last summer, and creating a photo book for my mom a couple of months ago.)

The more I think about it the more fun it sounds too.  Thanks for the input.

Davnasty

• Magnum Stache
I would definitely go the birthday year route, at least a year.

I might also consider 1 item on the list that doesn't terminate. If you complete all 40 things before your 40th it will all be behind you on the day that is most likely to give you anxiety. Granted, the accomplishment of the 40 things may be enough that it doesn't bother you anymore but that depends on how your brain works. Personally, I would want something that is never really completed like getting to a certain weight or body fat % and maintaining it or doing something healthy on a daily basis for the whole year after turning 40.

the_fixer

• Handlebar Stache
  • mind on my money money on my mind
40 in the year you are 40 would allow some flexibility so you could do the list of items at the best time for each.

How about this one.

See the sunrise at a beach on one coast and the sunset on a beach on the opposite coast in the same day.

Sent from my Pixel 2 XL using Tapatalk

EconDiva

• Handlebar Stache
40 in the year you are 40 would allow some flexibility so you could do the list of items at the best time for each.

How about this one.

See the sunrise at a beach on one coast and the sunset on a beach on the opposite coast in the same day.

That is a REALLY fun/cool idea and I love it...I actually have "watch the sun rise and sun set on the same day" on my list but found it a bit blah of an item (I think I may have actually done it before).  But this is different; it adds some adventure in there and would make for a great opportunity for me to photograph/video something of interest which I love doing. 

Thanks for the suggestion!

the_fixer

• Handlebar Stache
  • mind on my money money on my mind
You could even add a bit of MMM flare by trying to ride a bike between the east and west coast to see them in the same day. (Naples FL to ft Lauderdale is around 110 miles)

EconDiva

• Handlebar Stache
You could even add a bit of MMM flare by trying to ride a bike between the east and west coast to see them in the same day. (Naples FL to ft Lauderdale is around 110 miles)

That would indeed be adventurous :)

EconDiva

• Handlebar Stache
Re: 40th birthday ideas (A bucket list birthday) & request for Mustachian input
« Reply #10 on: February 21, 2018, 04:00:16 PM »
I would definitely go the birthday year route, at least a year.

I might also consider 1 item on the list that doesn't terminate. If you complete all 40 things before your 40th it will all be behind you on the day that is most likely to give you anxiety. Granted, the accomplishment of the 40 things may be enough that it doesn't bother you anymore but that depends on how your brain works. Personally, I would want something that is never really completed like getting to a certain weight or body fat % and maintaining it or doing something healthy on a daily basis for the whole year after turning 40.

Thanks for the input!

Hhhhhmm...I was thinking of 40 things to specifically get done by 40 so I don't think I mind that the items will all be completed.  But you bring up a good point so...maybe one of the things should be done on my birthday specifically which I will need to think about.  Originally, I was thinking to travel somewhere far the day after my birthday so that I had still had something immediately after to look forward to...I will need to think about this. 

Mezzie

• Pencil Stache
    • Mezzie Learns
« Reply #11 on: February 21, 2018, 04:33:32 PM »
I had 30 weekend adventutes the year I turned 30, so I'd go that route. It was a lot of fun. :)

For my 40th, my husband arranged a falconry lesson. That was amazing!

For my 18th, I got into the Magic Castle.

I don't do big celebrations often, but when I do, they're pretty cool.

Forty has been great so far, by the way. Enjoy it!

Arbitrage

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #12 on: February 21, 2018, 04:35:57 PM »
I'm turning 40 in a couple of weeks.  No significant plans right around the date, but going to take a vacation with friends in a couple of months to a locale I've never been to but am targeting as a strong candidate for an early retirement destination.  We've been doing this for the last couple of years as several of us have been turning 40, and now it's my turn (as well as that of one other friend).  I'm the only one thinking about something as crazy as early retirement; they all think I'm just having a midlife crisis.

EarlyInJourney

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #13 on: February 21, 2018, 04:57:49 PM »
I turned 40 last year.  One low-key but great thing I did in the year leading up was coming up with a list of 39 classic movies that I had never seen (and felt slightly embarrassed about having not seen), and trying to watch all "39 by 40." 

It was fun compiling the list and watching the films, and absolutely free (thanks, public library!).  And now I can finally say that I've seen "Gone with the Wind", "Vertigo", "Rain Man", "When Harry Met Sally", "High Noon" (probably my fave), etc.

On my actual birthday, I went out with friends for all-you-can-eat sushi, which was definitely not free, and definitely worth it...

Turning 40 for me was not actually as "bad" as turning 31 was, for whatever reason(s).

Whatever you end up doing, have fun with it!

Apeshifter

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #14 on: February 21, 2018, 06:52:43 PM »
My 40th Birthday is also occurring next year! I've been using it as a target for the last few years for a lot of life type goals. Saving, Fitness, and just overall self improvement, generally mustachian, kind of stuff. I'm not set to FIRE, however, 2019 is shaping up to mark a bunch of personal milestones.  (In essence I think I've been doing the 40 things to mark being 40 though without putting it like that!)

I'll share what my current celebration idea is... its something I've been giving a fair bit of thought to... but its on the anti-mustachian end of the spectrum...

For 40 years of service to me, myself, and I, there should be the awarding of a nice watch. I enjoy watches and want a fancy, yet utilitarian one, for a whole host of reasons. So I figure I'll get myself a Rolex Submariner. Being able to look at my self awarded "trophy" on a daily basis, wherever I am, will act as a nice pick me up, plus be a reminder of how I've positively used my time already and to keep on doing so.

stephen902

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #15 on: February 21, 2018, 08:29:29 PM »
Get fit. the 50+ are not for sissies and they are up next!

TheWifeHalf

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #16 on: February 21, 2018, 08:53:22 PM »
Take 40 friends to lunch, separately, 40 times. Or, take 40 friends along, doing something you like to do, separately or in small groups.

Start the first day of doing 40 'somethings' you want to become habits when you're 40.

Hand $40 to 40 strangers you pass on the sidewalk, with a note that tells why your're doing it.

MrThatsDifferent

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #17 on: February 22, 2018, 12:20:16 AM »
Ummm, if you want to do a whole lot of cool shit, do it. Turning 40 really is not a big deal. It’s definitely not, damn, I’m so old I better do a lot of things before I die. 40 feels almost like 30. Now 50...

Astatine

• Magnum Stache
  • Pronouns: they/them
« Reply #18 on: February 22, 2018, 01:44:22 AM »
I was super excited to turn 40! So it's not guaranteed to be a downer. I just had a bunch of friends over for afternoon tea with cake to celebrate.

One of my friends did this really cool thing for her birthday: she did a scavenger hunt type of thing, but all done with photography that we shared in a private online group. So each day (or week I can't remember now) we each had to submit a photo on a particular theme. It was years ago but I still remember it fondly :)

FireHiker

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #19 on: February 23, 2018, 02:13:09 PM »
I turn 40 this year! My best friend went through a major freak out about turning 40 last year and did this fitness competition thing (in the least mustachian way possible, but I won't hijack to go into it). I've decided I want to be "fit for 40" but without the fashion show/body-building thing she did, so a different friend and I have put in a permit request for Mt. Whitney in July (my birthday is in August and I really want to hike it before turning 40). Then she talked me into signing up for a half marathon which is in June. I am decidedly not a runner, but one of my best friends who was a serious runner died last year from cancer and I'd been thinking about the idea anyway. My husband and I also signed up to do a 5k with our two youngest kids next month, and are generally working towards making fitness more of a habit in our household. So much of what we want to do in retirement requires us to be in reasonably good health and fitness, so we need to start prioritizing that now.

I'm also starting to take stock of what are the real items on my bucket list and how to accomplish them concretely instead of vaguely doing them "someday". I am of the "I want to go everywhere and see everything" persuasion, so we've really started upping the travel as we decrease other spending. I have Everest Base Camp, Macchu Picchu (hiking the Salkantay trail to get there), all 50 states, hike the Wonderland Trail (with our kids), Iceland campervan (hiking Fimmvorduhals, which I know I've spelled incorrectly, or Northern Lights depending on season), Venice (Italy), African safari, all US National Parks, and Neuschwanstein on my "before 50" list.

I have another friend who turns 40 this year and she and her husband just got back from an incredibly epic trip to South America and Antarctica (including Iguazu Falls). They don't have kids though so they can go a little more crazy with the travel! We're working up to it; taking advantage of various travel hacking opportunities and being strategic with traveling to certain places off-season (UK over Thanksgiving was incredible).

Slow&Steady

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #20 on: February 23, 2018, 03:41:37 PM »
If you are not really looking forward to turning 40 I would probably do 40 before 40 and plan on the last item to be on your birthday.  That way you will have a reason to celebrate that day!

I don't have any thing to add to your list but I will say that if you like hot air balloons the International Balloon Fiesta in Alb, NM is freaking amazing!  It has been a bunch of years since we moved away from the area but I know you used to be able to pay for a ride and if you were really resourceful you might be able to score a free ride by joining a crew (assuming you could find one that was short a person or two). 

kei te pai

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #21 on: February 24, 2018, 02:06:04 AM »
EconDiva, I would love to provide the homecooked meal abroad (NZ) if you would like to come during your 40th celebrations!

Caroline PF

• Stubble
« Reply #22 on: February 24, 2018, 06:58:39 PM »
I love this idea, and I think I want to do something similar. Thanks for sharing the idea!

Dicey

• Senior Mustachian
« Reply #23 on: February 24, 2018, 07:17:16 PM »
Lol, I'm turning 60 in about a week. The thought of 60 by 60 just makes me...tired.

Ahem. In the years leading up to 40, I enjoyed chasing the goal of "50 by 40". I was up to about 42 states and was trying to map out a trip to hit the rest of the states when Virgin offered SF to London for $249 RT. I quickly changed the goal to "50 by Whenever"",  and happily headed to London, where I splurged on "Les Miserables" on the actual day.

I still haven't hit all fifty states, but I'm getting close. Now I'm counting continents.

My advice: do all the things, as frugally as possible. You won't regret it.

Bicycle_B

• Handlebar Stache
  • Mustachian-ish in Live Music Capital of the World
« Reply #24 on: February 24, 2018, 09:41:50 PM »
Take 40 friends to lunch, separately, 40 times. Or, take 40 friends along, doing something you like to do, separately or in small groups.

Start the first day of doing 40 'somethings' you want to become habits when you're 40.

Hand $40 to 40 strangers you pass on the sidewalk, with a note that tells why your're doing it.
All excellent ideas!

The version of 40 friends that I thought of before reading this list is send 40 thanks/appreciations to the 40 people who mean the most to you - people you love, or are close to, or who inspire you, or you just like.  Optionally, propose an event with each one that they would like.

btvs7

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #25 on: February 25, 2018, 04:20:28 AM »
(Long time reader, first post)

DW and myself both made a "50 before 50" list, about two years ago, near the age of 40 (a bit before for her, a bit after for me).
Since the time frame to complete the list is 10 years (about one item every two months), it's a somewhat different list than what the OP has in mind, but I'd still like to share my thoughts.
We still have jobs (well, DW is going to pull the plug next month, and keep it unplugged for at least a year. But we didn't know that when we made the lists), and 3 kids at home, the smallest one being a toddler and therefore had some limitations on what we can accomplish without turning our lifestyle upside down (and honestly, none of us really wants to leave civilization for a long period). On the other hand, the long time frame allows for some items that are over a period of time (do something for 6 months) or repeat a one time action several times before we turn 50.

Some thoughts on our lists:
- There are a few items that require travelling abroad, but not many. However, we have two lists...
- Some of the items on the lists are normal activities for other people, but one of us never got to do. For instance, all sorts of DIY home repairs which one of us was always afraid to do.
- Writing the list was not easy, and finalizing it took some time. We each had a few items that after writing them we thought "do I really want to do that?".
- Now that the lists are done, I really enjoy having them. I have something I'm happy about to think about for the next 8 years (and then I'll make the 60 before 60 list). I know what are the items on the list that I plan to make progress on for the next year.
- Some things on the list are quite anti mustachian (yes, I also have the hot air balloon on the list, and I plan to drive somewhere and pay for it). But since it is "on the list", it's sort of Ok to spend that money, since it is just for the few items on the list.
- Some items are really modest and "boring", such as reading a certain number of books. But I hardly read at all, so now I am reading a bit because "it's on the list". Also, it's fun to choose the books. Each book it now special because it was chosen for the list!
- For some items, it is important to include a measurement. The hot air balloon is very binary, either did it or didn't, but an item like "learn to cook" is a bit fluid, so it's important to set expectations. Does it mean learning to cook X new dishes? Taking Y cooking classes? etc.

A few items from my list:
- I have quite a few fitness and sports related items, as I do long distance running as a hobby. Two special ones: being a pacer in a race (someone that is invited by the organizers to run in a specific pace so others could follow. done that) and running a 100km ultramarathon (planned to Oct 2019)
- Meeting with X past friends I haven't been in touch for at least 3 years (just catching up for a coffee/lunch, without obligation to keep the connection alive)
- Going to a WWE show (did that with my oldest son last year as part of a trip to the US. Amazingly anti-mustachian, but we had a lot of fun).

A few of DW's list items:
- Running 5k
- Learning another language (probably Spanish)
- Learning a new skill (cooking classes)
- Vacationing X times abroad without the kids

The list is really fun. I really recommend having a long term list, so the fun could go on and on...

EconDiva

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #26 on: February 25, 2018, 07:49:46 AM »
EconDiva, I would love to provide the homecooked meal abroad (NZ) if you would like to come during your 40th celebrations!

Aw, thank you!!

I was just up today looking through alternative suggestions to Africa since I'm not sure that is going to work out yet.  So you know I will have to hold you up to this if I end up choosing NZ instead! ;)

EconDiva

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #27 on: February 25, 2018, 07:50:51 AM »
I had 30 weekend adventutes the year I turned 30, so I'd go that route. It was a lot of fun. :)

For my 40th, my husband arranged a falconry lesson. That was amazing!

For my 18th, I got into the Magic Castle.

I don't do big celebrations often, but when I do, they're pretty cool.

Forty has been great so far, by the way. Enjoy it!

30 weekend adventures?  I am impressed.  Were most of the outings local?

EconDiva

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #28 on: February 25, 2018, 07:54:26 AM »
I'm turning 40 in a couple of weeks.  No significant plans right around the date, but going to take a vacation with friends in a couple of months to a locale I've never been to but am targeting as a strong candidate for an early retirement destination.  We've been doing this for the last couple of years as several of us have been turning 40, and now it's my turn (as well as that of one other friend).  I'm the only one thinking about something as crazy as early retirement; they all think I'm just having a midlife crisis.

Lately when considering a place to travel to I also consider if it's a place I might want to retire to.  For instance, Ecuador is high on my travel list right now because there are many things I want to see there, however, it also has the draw of having a growing expat community.  So I am interested in seeing if it's a place I could potentially live in in the future, although retirement is a bit aways for me.

EconDiva

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #29 on: February 25, 2018, 07:56:02 AM »
I turned 40 last year.  One low-key but great thing I did in the year leading up was coming up with a list of 39 classic movies that I had never seen (and felt slightly embarrassed about having not seen), and trying to watch all "39 by 40." 

It was fun compiling the list and watching the films, and absolutely free (thanks, public library!).  And now I can finally say that I've seen "Gone with the Wind", "Vertigo", "Rain Man", "When Harry Met Sally", "High Noon" (probably my fave), etc.

On my actual birthday, I went out with friends for all-you-can-eat sushi, which was definitely not free, and definitely worth it...

Turning 40 for me was not actually as "bad" as turning 31 was, for whatever reason(s).

Whatever you end up doing, have fun with it!

Thank you :)

The movie idea sounds cool but the all you can eat sushi sounds amazing ;)

EconDiva

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #30 on: February 25, 2018, 07:57:41 AM »
Get fit. the 50+ are not for sissies and they are up next!

Solid advice here lol.

The past 3-4 months I've gotten pretty out of shape :(

As some of the pre-birthday goals would revolve around health/fitness, I think it would definitely serve as motivation to get my butt in gear.

EconDiva

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #31 on: February 25, 2018, 07:59:59 AM »
My 40th Birthday is also occurring next year! I've been using it as a target for the last few years for a lot of life type goals. Saving, Fitness, and just overall self improvement, generally mustachian, kind of stuff. I'm not set to FIRE, however, 2019 is shaping up to mark a bunch of personal milestones.  (In essence I think I've been doing the 40 things to mark being 40 though without putting it like that!)

I'll share what my current celebration idea is... its something I've been giving a fair bit of thought to... but its on the anti-mustachian end of the spectrum...

For 40 years of service to me, myself, and I, there should be the awarding of a nice watch. I enjoy watches and want a fancy, yet utilitarian one, for a whole host of reasons. So I figure I'll get myself a Rolex Submariner. Being able to look at my self awarded "trophy" on a daily basis, wherever I am, will act as a nice pick me up, plus be a reminder of how I've positively used my time already and to keep on doing so.

That's awesome that you've already been using your time to achieve some of your goals and work on areas to improve in.  It sounds like 2019 will be a great year for you with a lot to look forward to :)

EconDiva

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #32 on: February 25, 2018, 08:04:24 AM »
If you are not really looking forward to turning 40 I would probably do 40 before 40 and plan on the last item to be on your birthday.  That way you will have a reason to celebrate that day!

I don't have any thing to add to your list but I will say that if you like hot air balloons the International Balloon Fiesta in Alb, NM is freaking amazing!  It has been a bunch of years since we moved away from the area but I know you used to be able to pay for a ride and if you were really resourceful you might be able to score a free ride by joining a crew (assuming you could find one that was short a person or two).

It's on my list! ;)

I was trying to look up tickets the other day but see they don't go on sale until April.  I read some reviews on TripAdvisor where multiple people mentioned it was pretty cold when going up in the balloons so that was good to know.  I think this will definitely stay on the list as I currently have enough points to go there for a weekend.  Plus, I'm interested in things that will make for great photo/video and I think this is definitely one of them. 

I take it you've been before?

EconDiva

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #33 on: February 25, 2018, 08:07:12 AM »
Ummm, if you want to do a whole lot of cool shit, do it. Turning 40 really is not a big deal. It’s definitely not, damn, I’m so old I better do a lot of things before I die. 40 feels almost like 30. Now 50...

I know...on a personal note for me though I could use a milestone birthday as a means of motivation and a sortof "pick me up".  In other words, what better time to push myself to do some of the things I keep saying I will do some day basically.

EconDiva

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #34 on: February 25, 2018, 08:07:53 AM »
Still trying to come up with more free things to do by the way...

EconDiva

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #35 on: February 25, 2018, 08:15:13 AM »
I was super excited to turn 40! So it's not guaranteed to be a downer. I just had a bunch of friends over for afternoon tea with cake to celebrate.

One of my friends did this really cool thing for her birthday: she did a scavenger hunt type of thing, but all done with photography that we shared in a private online group. So each day (or week I can't remember now) we each had to submit a photo on a particular theme. It was years ago but I still remember it fondly :)

Ah...afternoon tea...I actually had "have tea in London" on my list haha.  I wish I would have done it when I was there 2 years ago; no clue why I didn't.  And I have a friend that lives there too.  There is a hotel in Chicago (I used to live there) that has this amazing looking "boozy tea" thing where their afternoon teas served at tea time are served with alcohol.  Another thing I should have done before I left there.  We have a few places here that do an afternoon tea but serving one at home sounds cool and is an excellent mustachian alternative.

Your friend's scavenger hunt sounds like a lot of fun :)

EconDiva

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #36 on: February 25, 2018, 08:21:24 AM »
I love this idea, and I think I want to do something similar. Thanks for sharing the idea!

Yay!

You know what?  Since I know several people that will turn 40 next year, I woke up today thinking maybe I should mention it to them too that way if there are things that show up on several peoples' lists, they could get together and pull resources and do those things together potentially saving money and serving as motivation to accomplish those things. 

You will have to come back to this thread later and share what you did/how your birthday was. :)

EconDiva

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #37 on: February 25, 2018, 08:25:02 AM »
Lol, I'm turning 60 in about a week. The thought of 60 by 60 just makes me...tired.

Ahem. In the years leading up to 40, I enjoyed chasing the goal of "50 by 40". I was up to about 42 states and was trying to map out a trip to hit the rest of the states when Virgin offered SF to London for $249 RT. I quickly changed the goal to "50 by Whenever"",  and happily headed to London, where I splurged on "Les Miserables" on the actual day.

I still haven't hit all fifty states, but I'm getting close. Now I'm counting continents.

My advice: do all the things, as frugally as possible. You won't regret it.

LOL!

I must admit...I was thinking yesterday that I could see myself putting what doesn't get done on a "50 by 50 list"...but at the same time I thought to myself "I don't think there would be a 60 by 60 though." :)

Thank you for sharing your plans and how things changed for you.  If you hadn't at least had the goal to begin with, maybe you wouldn't have made it to so many states already.  You should definitely come back and share once you hit the last state!

EconDiva

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #38 on: February 25, 2018, 08:32:14 AM »
I turn 40 this year! My best friend went through a major freak out about turning 40 last year and did this fitness competition thing (in the least mustachian way possible, but I won't hijack to go into it). I've decided I want to be "fit for 40" but without the fashion show/body-building thing she did, so a different friend and I have put in a permit request for Mt. Whitney in July (my birthday is in August and I really want to hike it before turning 40). Then she talked me into signing up for a half marathon which is in June. I am decidedly not a runner, but one of my best friends who was a serious runner died last year from cancer and I'd been thinking about the idea anyway. My husband and I also signed up to do a 5k with our two youngest kids next month, and are generally working towards making fitness more of a habit in our household. So much of what we want to do in retirement requires us to be in reasonably good health and fitness, so we need to start prioritizing that now.

I'm also starting to take stock of what are the real items on my bucket list and how to accomplish them concretely instead of vaguely doing them "someday". I am of the "I want to go everywhere and see everything" persuasion, so we've really started upping the travel as we decrease other spending. I have Everest Base Camp, Macchu Picchu (hiking the Salkantay trail to get there), all 50 states, hike the Wonderland Trail (with our kids), Iceland campervan (hiking Fimmvorduhals, which I know I've spelled incorrectly, or Northern Lights depending on season), Venice (Italy), African safari, all US National Parks, and Neuschwanstein on my "before 50" list.

I have another friend who turns 40 this year and she and her husband just got back from an incredibly epic trip to South America and Antarctica (including Iguazu Falls). They don't have kids though so they can go a little more crazy with the travel! We're working up to it; taking advantage of various travel hacking opportunities and being strategic with traveling to certain places off-season (UK over Thanksgiving was incredible).

Firehiker, in regards to the bolded, this is exactly what motivated me to possibly doing something for my birthday.  I've had a rough past 9 months or so with depression (why does it seem to be a big topic here lately?).  Anyways, I had been thinking I wouldn't do anything but now I am starting to feel differently and figure this would be a great way to start on some of the things I do want to do but just neglect to take the time to think about/commit to. 

I am very sorry to hear about your friend that passed.

When are you doing Macchu Picchu?  Please do come back and post updates after the June half marathon and Mt. Whitney!
« Last Edit: February 25, 2018, 08:37:33 AM by EconDiva »

EconDiva

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #39 on: February 25, 2018, 08:33:28 AM »

All excellent ideas!

The version of 40 friends that I thought of before reading this list is send 40 thanks/appreciations to the 40 people who mean the most to you - people you love, or are close to, or who inspire you, or you just like.  Optionally, propose an event with each one that they would like.

I agree; very good ideas :)

EconDiva

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #40 on: February 25, 2018, 08:50:05 AM »
(Long time reader, first post)

DW and myself both made a "50 before 50" list, about two years ago, near the age of 40 (a bit before for her, a bit after for me).
Since the time frame to complete the list is 10 years (about one item every two months), it's a somewhat different list than what the OP has in mind, but I'd still like to share my thoughts.
We still have jobs (well, DW is going to pull the plug next month, and keep it unplugged for at least a year. But we didn't know that when we made the lists), and 3 kids at home, the smallest one being a toddler and therefore had some limitations on what we can accomplish without turning our lifestyle upside down (and honestly, none of us really wants to leave civilization for a long period). On the other hand, the long time frame allows for some items that are over a period of time (do something for 6 months) or repeat a one time action several times before we turn 50.

Some thoughts on our lists:
- There are a few items that require travelling abroad, but not many. However, we have two lists...
- Some of the items on the lists are normal activities for other people, but one of us never got to do. For instance, all sorts of DIY home repairs which one of us was always afraid to do.
- Writing the list was not easy, and finalizing it took some time. We each had a few items that after writing them we thought "do I really want to do that?".
- Now that the lists are done, I really enjoy having them. I have something I'm happy about to think about for the next 8 years (and then I'll make the 60 before 60 list). I know what are the items on the list that I plan to make progress on for the next year.
- Some things on the list are quite anti mustachian (yes, I also have the hot air balloon on the list, and I plan to drive somewhere and pay for it). But since it is "on the list", it's sort of Ok to spend that money, since it is just for the few items on the list.
- Some items are really modest and "boring", such as reading a certain number of books. But I hardly read at all, so now I am reading a bit because "it's on the list". Also, it's fun to choose the books. Each book it now special because it was chosen for the list!
- For some items, it is important to include a measurement. The hot air balloon is very binary, either did it or didn't, but an item like "learn to cook" is a bit fluid, so it's important to set expectations. Does it mean learning to cook X new dishes? Taking Y cooking classes? etc.

A few items from my list:
- I have quite a few fitness and sports related items, as I do long distance running as a hobby. Two special ones: being a pacer in a race (someone that is invited by the organizers to run in a specific pace so others could follow. done that) and running a 100km ultramarathon (planned to Oct 2019)
- Meeting with X past friends I haven't been in touch for at least 3 years (just catching up for a coffee/lunch, without obligation to keep the connection alive)
- Going to a WWE show (did that with my oldest son last year as part of a trip to the US. Amazingly anti-mustachian, but we had a lot of fun).

A few of DW's list items:
- Running 5k
- Learning another language (probably Spanish)
- Learning a new skill (cooking classes)
- Vacationing X times abroad without the kids

The list is really fun. I really recommend having a long term list, so the fun could go on and on...

Hi there!

I'm so happy the first thread you posted in was this one :)

I really enjoyed reading your post from the perspective of someone who has actually done this.  I am curious was made you come up with the idea? 

I can already totally relate to the whole "Do I want to even do this??" thing...in the process of putting my list together at the moment, I have already taken multiple items off of the list.  I found they were things that I had taken from other lists I was finding online that I thought were interesting, however, they honestly were just not things that truly spoke to me or things I wanted to experience/do.

Excellent point about paying attention to how you measure certain things.  Because I have a bit less than a year for my current list, most of the items will not be fluid (and might end up on the 50 by 50 list). 

Regarding the boring items-I actually think I don't have enough of these on the list yet :)  In other words, some of the items that don't include travel or observing something unique/new are more personal items that still give a great feeling of accomplishment so I want to be sure I'm thinking hard about those things that really do mean the most to me.  What's kinda weird is I'm finding this list is (and this may sound really cheesy) helping me to learn more about myself.

You are right that making/finalizing the list is not easy!  Thank you so much for sharing some of the items on yours :)

rdaneel0

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #41 on: February 25, 2018, 09:23:38 AM »
I think doing 40 things over the course of a year is a really cool idea! I think you should do all the stuff you can do at home/on weekends over the year and then end with a trip that culminates in dog sledding AND seeing the Northern Lights, maybe Iceland? That would be a pretty sweet way to celebrate.

Some more normal/everyday things you could do:

-Is there a room in your house that's sort of thrown together? Maybe you could re-do it on the cheap?
-Go to a live music festival nearby.
-Get involved in local volunteering.
-Raise money for a cause you care about.
-Host a 5 course meal dinner party.
-Start/join a book club.
-Learn how to do something useful that you've always wanted to do (carpentry, making jam, sewing, whatever)
-Declutter all your old stuff.
-Digitize your family photos
-Throw a surprise party for someone else.

EconDiva

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #42 on: February 25, 2018, 09:43:19 AM »
I think doing 40 things over the course of a year is a really cool idea! I think you should do all the stuff you can do at home/on weekends over the year and then end with a trip that culminates in dog sledding AND seeing the Northern Lights, maybe Iceland? That would be a pretty sweet way to celebrate.

Some more normal/everyday things you could do:

-Is there a room in your house that's sort of thrown together? Maybe you could re-do it on the cheap?
-Go to a live music festival nearby.
-Get involved in local volunteering.
-Raise money for a cause you care about.
-Host a 5 course meal dinner party.
-Start/join a book club.
-Learn how to do something useful that you've always wanted to do (carpentry, making jam, sewing, whatever)
-Declutter all your old stuff.
-Digitize your family photos
-Throw a surprise party for someone else.

THANK YOU for the ideas :)

Music festival: Great idea...I had this on the list and just need to decide which one to attend.  I also have "food festival" on the list...there are tons of these where I live and I love to eat so this is a big one for me.  Although maybe I need to find a healthy food festival as I do have another goal of doing 4 miles in under 40 minutes lol.  Hmmmm......

Raise money for a cause you care about:  YES.  I want to do this.  Thank you.  I'm a bit more clear on what I want do to here now.  I want to pick a goal to raise a certain amount of money for a certain cause by a certain date.  This is very high on my list actually.  I want (need) to do better at helping others. 

Learn how to do something you always wanted to do:  The biggest one for me by far would be swimming.  Most of the time I travel somewhere it involves a beach.  It is so sad I can't actually swim in the water.  Also, my brother lives in Hawaii. Every time I've gone so far he asks if I want to try diving with him and I just can't bring myself to try even though he says he can guide me through all of it.  I think it would be great if I can learn to swim this summer.  My mom and I may see him during my mom's 60th birthday this November...if that happens and I learn to swim I could accomplish another goal of diving with my brother. 

Slow&Steady

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #43 on: February 26, 2018, 08:56:13 AM »

It's on my list! ;)

I was trying to look up tickets the other day but see they don't go on sale until April.  I read some reviews on TripAdvisor where multiple people mentioned it was pretty cold when going up in the balloons so that was good to know.  I think this will definitely stay on the list as I currently have enough points to go there for a weekend.  Plus, I'm interested in things that will make for great photo/video and I think this is definitely one of them. 

I take it you've been before?

We lived just a little south of there when I was a kid and I moved back to NM for a few years after college, I miss it tremendously.  Tickets to the Fiesta may not be on sale yet but if you are seriously considering it you should probably start looking into hotel/lodging pretty quickly as that fills up fast.  Remember you are in the "high desert" so it will be pretty chilly during Oct, especially when the sun goes down.  Most of my early morning, evening memories of the Fiesta included warm drinks in hand.

FireHiker

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #44 on: February 26, 2018, 01:41:05 PM »
Firehiker, in regards to the bolded, this is exactly what motivated me to possibly doing something for my birthday.  I've had a rough past 9 months or so with depression (why does it seem to be a big topic here lately?).  Anyways, I had been thinking I wouldn't do anything but now I am starting to feel differently and figure this would be a great way to start on some of the things I do want to do but just neglect to take the time to think about/commit to. 

I am very sorry to hear about your friend that passed.

When are you doing Macchu Picchu?  Please do come back and post updates after the June half marathon and Mt. Whitney!

Thank you for your sympathy; I am still reeling from the big loss. Since she was otherwise in good health and did everything "right" it was a serious wake up call for me!

I'm not sure exactly when we'll do Macchu Picchu. We want to do it with our kids by way of hiking the Salkantay Trail (my brother and his wife did it in 2016). Since our younger kids are 6 and 8 it will probably be a few years! I will definitely post after the half marathon and Mt. Whitney though. We'll be paying for college soon for the oldest (he's 17 and a junior) so I expect we'll do a lot of more local backpacking during that timeframe to get the kids ready for bigger treks. There are so many good trips in the sierras and we can get there easily from so cal.

I like the movies/reading books goals other people have posted here for cheap/free ideas. I'm working my way through various book lists on listchallenges, using ebooks from my library. I've made steady progress on the BBC list; I have fewer than 30 remaining now on the list of 100. Slow and steady!

rdaneel0

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #45 on: February 27, 2018, 03:44:44 PM »
Yeah, actually typing all that out made me want to sort of join in on this, maybe each year I'll do the number I'm turning :) Seems fun!