Author Topic: 401k rollover frustrations  (Read 3662 times)

frugalnacho

• Walrus Stache
401k rollover frustrations
« on: December 15, 2018, 08:25:45 PM »
I left my previous employer in October.  I filled out all the forms for John Hancock to do a direct rollover from 401k to IRA, and also sent them the standard letter from vanguard which instructs them where to send the check.  I sent it all in the same envelope and I know they got it because they uploaded a pdf of the forms and the letter when they received them.  Today I got a check in the mail from John Hancock.  Wtf? They made it out to Vanguard fiduciary trust etc as instructed, but mailed it to me instead of the vanguard PO box.

On top of that it seems suspiciously short on funds, so I logged in to check my account and I see nearly $2,300 out of my total balance of $28.5k is "Forfeiture subtotals".  I assume that is how they classify unvested funds, but I was with the company for 12 years.  The company was purchased about a year prior to me leaving, but everyone's senority and start date carried over from the legacy company, so I should have been fully vested anyway.  So that's wtf number 2.

The 3rd wtf is that the company does safe harbor contributions which are 100% invested immediately anyway, so how do I forfeit any funds?

Wtf is going on with forfeiture of my funds?  I have to wait until Monday until I can call and talk to a rep.  Everything this company touches turns to shit and is a huge hassle for me.  It was extremely frustrating working for them because of the incompetence within the company (especially the HR department), and nearly everything they do ends up fucked up in one way or another and also takes far longer than it should.  I don't know where the blame falls for this, but I'm frustrated that I have to call john hancock asking why I have any forfeiture of funds, and also why they didn't send the check directly to vanguard as instructed.

Stachless

• Stubble
Re: 401k rollover frustrations
« Reply #1 on: December 15, 2018, 11:23:07 PM »
I wish you the best of luck and hope the missing dough is truly some administrative issue and not some B.S. 'redemption fee' or such.  There are a *lot* of shady & greedy companies in the Financial Services sector!

frugalnacho

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #2 on: December 16, 2018, 09:11:44 AM »
It's John hancock.  They have a $50 redemption fee which was also taken out.

BECABECA

• Bristles
  • Retired since July 2017, not bored yet!
« Reply #3 on: December 16, 2018, 10:49:57 AM »
The forfeited funds certainly sounds fishy, hope you can get that cleared up and get those back!

But as for mailing the check directly to you, I have had quite a few companies insist on doing this when I’ve rolled over funds to Vanguard. It’s annoying for sure, because now your money sits out of the market for an extra week while you snail mail the check around, but honestly it seems to be the norm. I think I’ve only had one company allow the check to be directly mailed to Vanguard, and I don’t remember which one it was. I’m the resident “dealing with the rollover bs” person in my family, so I’ve done a ton for spouse, parents, in-laws, siblings, as well as a bunch of my own.

frugalnacho

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #4 on: December 16, 2018, 12:28:13 PM »
I've rolled my last 401k (also John Hancock) to vanguard about a year ago and they sent the funds directly to vanguard.

anotherAlias

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #5 on: December 16, 2018, 01:43:06 PM »
I left my previous employer in October.  I filled out all the forms for John Hancock to do a direct rollover from 401k to IRA, and also sent them the standard letter from vanguard which instructs them where to send the check.  I sent it all in the same envelope and I know they got it because they uploaded a pdf of the forms and the letter when they received them.  Today I got a check in the mail from John Hancock.  Wtf? They made it out to Vanguard fiduciary trust etc as instructed, but mailed it to me instead of the vanguard PO box.

On top of that it seems suspiciously short on funds, so I logged in to check my account and I see nearly $2,300 out of my total balance of $28.5k is "Forfeiture subtotals".  I assume that is how they classify unvested funds, but I was with the company for 12 years.  The company was purchased about a year prior to me leaving, but everyone's senority and start date carried over from the legacy company, so I should have been fully vested anyway.  So that's wtf number 2.

The 3rd wtf is that the company does safe harbor contributions which are 100% invested immediately anyway, so how do I forfeit any funds?

Wtf is going on with forfeiture of my funds?  I have to wait until Monday until I can call and talk to a rep.  Everything this company touches turns to shit and is a huge hassle for me.  It was extremely frustrating working for them because of the incompetence within the company (especially the HR department), and nearly everything they do ends up fucked up in one way or another and also takes far longer than it should.  I don't know where the blame falls for this, but I'm frustrated that I have to call john hancock asking why I have any forfeiture of funds, and also why they didn't send the check directly to vanguard as instructed.

My plan redistributes unvested amounts to remaining employees when someone leaves and that shows up on my statement as a forfeiture.  Maybe what you are seeing is something like that.  I don't know if I get to keep forfeitures if I rolover my account before retirement, but seems possible.

frugalnacho

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #6 on: December 16, 2018, 06:19:48 PM »

My plan redistributes unvested amounts to remaining employees when someone leaves and that shows up on my statement as a forfeiture.  Maybe what you are seeing is something like that.  I don't know if I get to keep forfeitures if I rolover my account before retirement, but seems possible.

I'm vested though.  12 years at the company.  Additionally they are safe harbor contributions which are immediately vested by law.  It makes no sense at all.

anotherAlias

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #7 on: December 17, 2018, 02:24:48 AM »

I'm vested though.  12 years at the company.  Additionally they are safe harbor contributions which are immediately vested by law.  It makes no sense at all.
But I wonder if vesting is the same for forfeitures as it is with regular employee contributions.  Let us know what you find out.  Now it's bugging me too :)

frugalnacho

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #8 on: December 17, 2018, 08:20:29 AM »

But I wonder if vesting is the same for forfeitures as it is with regular employee contributions.  Let us know what you find out.  Now it's bugging me too :)

?

Regular employee contributions are always 100% employee owned.  It's your money.
Safe harbor contributions are always 100% employee owned as well.  It's your money as soon as they put it in your account.

The only contributions that are subject to vesting schedules are matching contributions made by the employer.  This is not applicable to me because I have 12 years tenure, and also because they used safe harbor contributions.  I have no idea under what other scenario I could forfeit funds from my account.

I just called John Hancock and they had no idea what's going on with the forfeiture and they need to put in a service request and will get back to me in 48 hours.

When I inquired about why they sent me the check instead of sending it to vanguard the exchange went something like this:

Me: I included a letter from vanguard with instructions on who and where to send the check.  I did this because I don't want the check in my hands, because this starts a 60 day clock that I have to get the funds into vanguard or they will be counted as a withdraw.  And with JH's little fuck up with my wrongly forfeited funds now I'm in a bit of limbo with getting those additional funds, and it's a completely unnecessary step.  You should have just mailed it directly to vanguard as instructed.
JH:  It's our policy to send the check to the client and it's their responsibility to forward it onto their IRA custodian.
Me: No it's not.  I did a direct rollover from a JH 401k to a vanguard IRA literally 1 year ago in 2017 and I never touched the money, it was sent directly to vanguard from JH.
JH: No it's our policy to send the check to the client.
Me:.....Ummm, no it's not.  I'm telling you I just did this in 2017.  With john hancock.  And vanguard.  It was like a $200k account, and I for sure never received a check and sent it off.  In fact I spoke with a JH rep and we specifically discussed doing a direct rollover, with JH sending it directly to vanguard to avoid me as an unnecessary middle man, and then JH did exactly as we discussed.
JH: It's always been our policy...
Me: Listen I'm not going to argue with you, but it definitely was not your policy as of 1 year ago because I did it and I've never been more positive about anything in my life. On top of that it's a stupid policy that is creating unnecessary work for me.  You paid to mail me the check, why couldn't you have just written a different address on it like I instructed, or better yet just directly wire the funds to vanguard?

She seemed like she was getting frustrated with me, but still kept it professional.  I didn't yell at her, because I know she didn't personally fuck up, but I definitely made my frustrations with JH known.

Unresolved shit like this gives me constant anxiety until it gets resolved.

frugalnacho

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #9 on: December 19, 2018, 07:44:13 AM »
48 hours later and I have not been called back by JH as promised.  Man do I fucking hate this company.

frugalnacho

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #10 on: December 19, 2018, 10:26:03 AM »
I called and talked to a representative again.  I asked why I wasn't contact back within 48 hours as promised and was told they meant by the end of the business day today (even though that's longer than 48 hours, and I was very specific to have the first rep clarify multiple times she literally meant within 48 hours).

Apparently the safe harbor plan is a QACA safe harbor plan which is subject to a 2 year vesting cliff.  They incorrectly have my date of hire as the day the company purchased my legacy company and not the original date of hire 12 years ago.

I was not aware of what a QACA safe harbor plan is, or how it is not 100% vested immediately.  Most of the information I can find on safe harbor contributions indicate it is always 100% vested immediately.  When I search for QACA safe harbor plans I am finding mixed information with some claiming it can have a 2 year vesting cliff, while other sites claiming the larger automatic portion is vested immediately (as with other safe harbor plans), and only the additional contribution beyond 3% is subject to vesting rules.   They have forfeited 100% of my employer contributions though which doesn't seem right.

Anyone well versed in the QACA safe harbor rules that can weigh in on what's going on?

frugalnacho

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #11 on: December 21, 2018, 01:29:01 PM »
Had to call back yet again because they never returned my call like they promised! Apparently they don't have my number on file somehow, even though I'm literally looking at my profile right now that contains my cell phone number and my personal email address.

They verified the correct start date with my former employer so they are unforfeiting those funds and will be sending me a check next week.  So now I guess I'll just wait until January 2 and call them back asking why my check isn't here yet (I am anticipating not getting it until after that based on how they've been doing everything). 

When does the clock start on the 60 day rule?  I submitted the forms on Nov 30, and they liquidated the account on Dec 10.  I received the check on Dec 15 and have been waiting until this forfeited funds gets sorted out before I send anything to vanguard.  I don't anticipate I should be running up against the 60 day clock no matter how they count it, but I'd like to be aware of how it works.

Will there be a problem with me sending in 2 separate checks for the rollover?  I already have one check that is ~$25,000 and they should be sending me another one that is ~$2,300.  Is there some kind of limit or rule that I can only do a single check into an IRA account or something?

Need2Save

• Bristles
« Reply #12 on: December 22, 2018, 05:00:35 AM »
@frugalnacho, your 60 day window should begin the day they cut the distribution check to you, not the day you filled out the forms and sent them to JH to process.  You also shouldn't have a problem rolling over two or more checks from different dates with the 60 day window applying to each of them seperately. I am not surprised by the experience you've had with John Hancock so far. They are not the best administrator to work with by any means.

A QACA qualifying plan can indeed have a two-year vesting service requirement. Here is a decent link to an IRS summary:
https://www.irs.gov/retirement-plans/401k-plan-fix-it-guide-401k-plan-overview
See the summary chart at the bottom, the QACA is described in the last column on the right.

Your recent experience and troubles highlight something I recommend to employees when they leave a company. Always take a copy of the Plan SPD with you when you go, so you have source document to refer to without having to go through the HR department. It should at a minimum be posted somewhere online where you go to view your blance/statements/make changes to your profile. Keep it as long as you have money in the Plan and let go of it only after you've successfully rolled out all your money from the Plan (if you do that ever).

frugalnacho

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #13 on: December 22, 2018, 06:59:06 AM »
They cut the first check December 10 so I should have until February 8.

A lot of reputable sources on the internet make the blanket statement that safe harbor contributions are always 100% vested immediately.  I guess they need to update that.  That information combined with the fact that I had 12 years in meant I didn't dig any further because I was for sure 100% vested, but it's good information for other people to know.

I don't pay much attention to the markets, and I was pissed that all this non sense has caused me to be out of the market since December 10 (only with $28.5k though), but it looks like it might work out in my favor with the way the markets have been dropping (assuming they don't shoot back up before I get my checks to vanguard).  My net worth is down $42k since I updated it on December 1st. 

Need2Save

• Bristles
« Reply #14 on: December 23, 2018, 05:20:39 AM »
Agreed it's good to let other people know in case it happens to them.

That may be because the first type of safe-harbor plan is far more common. The devil is always in the details as they say. It's hard to guess why your old employer set it up that way. Hopefully this will be behind you in just a couple weeks and you can focus on something better in 2019!

frugalnacho

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #15 on: January 02, 2019, 07:15:15 PM »
I finally got my check in the mail today, but when I check my account online it no longer lists $50 for distribution fee subtotal, it now lists $100. 

On 12/10/18 (when they liquidated my account) the forfeited funds totaled $2,261.43.  I'm not sure what they do with forfeited funds immediately after they are forfeited, I assumed they sold the shares and the cash value when back to the company, so I was just expecting a check for $2,261.43, but instead got a check for $2,279.41 (check is dated 12/27/18).  I was invested in the fidelity 500 index fund (FXAIX) and the fidelity extended market index fund (FSMAX).  I thought maybe they left the money in those funds until they cut the second check, but both funds decreased in value from Dec 10->Dec 27 so I'm not sure how they sent more money.  I'm also confused how it's not only more money, but the distribution fee subtotal has increased to $100.

Anyone have any idea what is going on and how the value increased from the day they cut the original check?  And what is up with the distribution fee subtotal being listed as $100 now?  Did they really charge me another $50 distribution fee, or is there some funky accounting going on?  That's pretty fucking ballsy to charge a second fee when I requested all the money the first time and I was completely vested. 

I guess I gotta call them back up for a 4th time to sort this out.  Should I just send off the 2 checks I have to vanguard now, or wait for my potentially 3rd check to roll in and mail them all to vanguard at the same time?  I don't like being out of the market, but I also didn't want to be sending multiple checks to vanguard multiple times.
« Last Edit: January 02, 2019, 07:17:46 PM by frugalnacho »

frugalnacho

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #16 on: January 04, 2019, 11:30:00 AM »
Just called john hancock 4 times.  first 2 times I was immediately disconnected before getting a menu option.  3rd time got through and spoke to a rep, but before we resolved the situation I got disconnected again.  Finally got through on the 4th attempt and spoke to someone.  They did indeed charge me $50 for each of the distributions.  The rep doesn't know if they can do anything about it, he is going to send it up to the admin team and see if they can authorize a reimbursement.  I said I wanted it pre-tax and sent into my IRA.  He seemed to indicate they can do it directly, but I'll believe it when I see it. 

At this point I can only assume I am going to have to call back again in like 2 weeks asking them WTF my reimbursement is

frugalnacho

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #17 on: January 04, 2019, 01:37:32 PM »
Actually got a call back.  They are refunding the $50, the check will be made out the same as the previous 2, and I should see it in about 2 weeks.

I've already mailed my first 2 checks out, so I will just mail out that third one once it comes in.

BrightFIRE

• Stubble
« Reply #18 on: January 04, 2019, 02:11:13 PM »
Holy shit. I'm glad your saga is over, and wow, I will do everything in my power to avoid John Hancock in the future!

TexasRunner

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #19 on: January 09, 2019, 09:46:05 AM »
Man, this was nuts to follow.  And I though Principle was a shitty 401k to work with...

Glad its finally sorted.  Did you talk to Vanguard about all of this?  I'm sure their rep would have a good laugh and add it to their list of stories about other companies. lol

frugalnacho

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #20 on: January 09, 2019, 09:52:00 AM »
Man, this was nuts to follow.  And I though Principle was a shitty 401k to work with...

Glad its finally sorted.  Did you talk to Vanguard about all of this?  I'm sure their rep would have a good laugh and add it to their list of stories about other companies. lol

Nope, I haven't contacted vanguard since November when this all started.  I just mailed them the checks, and they notified me when they got them so I logged in and purchased the funds I wanted.  Vanguard is great because I filled out the form telling them my intentions, and they actually followed instructions! I didn't have to harass them a dozen times to make sure each step gets done, they just do what they said they are gonna do.

I still got the $50 check from john hancock that I am waiting on.  Once that arrives I will mail it off to vanguard, and I'm sure vanguard will drop it in my settlement fund and shoot me an email immediately so I can log on and buy some vtsax with it.