Author Topic: 300 Years of Fossil Fuels in 30 Seconds  (Read 2754 times)

Trip

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
300 Years of Fossil Fuels in 30 Seconds
« on: January 18, 2014, 11:52:10 AM »
All I could think about was MMM while watching this video!
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cJ-J91SwP8w

sol

• Walrus Stache
Re: 300 Years of Fossil Fuels in 30 Seconds
« Reply #1 on: January 18, 2014, 01:56:46 PM »
This video made one good point, one that we touched on here in that recent climate change deniers thread, briefly.

We are headed towards a "post-carbon" future.  One way or another, within the next few generations all of the natural carbon stores on earth will have been mined and burned, and we'll end up using some system of alternative energy production.

Ideally, we manage this transition intelligently by slowly phasing in alternative energy sources gradually.  Even ignoring the environmental consequences of putting every bit of natural carbon on planet earth into the atmosphere, the purely economic impacts of the transition will be complicated. 

Trip

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #2 on: January 18, 2014, 02:58:52 PM »
Agreed.  I'm very happy to see the headway that solar and wind energy has been making.  It makes me feel more optimistic, however, big energy has lots of money and I hope they get on board rather than try and fight it.  Sooner or later, we are going to have to live in a more energy conscious world.  There is so much opportunity around that, but I think the video made one really good point that gets brought up here a lot.  It's going to take a big cultural change.

BuildingFrugalHabits

• Bristles
  • Living the dream
« Reply #3 on: January 18, 2014, 07:41:19 PM »
Thanks for posting.  What is completely obvious to us is such a touchy subject for some people who would rather ignore the problem.  I don't like to preach to people but it's nice to have a video like this to link to for the open minded. 

Wow, a phone plan for fifteen bucks!