Author Topic: Chevy bringing back the Volt  (Read 1116 times)

zolotiyeruki

• Walrus Stache
Chevy bringing back the Volt
« on: February 11, 2024, 06:44:54 AM »
@Syonyk has been a huge proponent of the Chevy Volt, which was unfortunately discontinued in 2019 (unfortunate timing there, GM!).  It looks like they're bringing it back, though!

h/t to Linus Tech Tips for mentioning it.

nereo

• Senior Mustachian
    • Here's how you can support science today:
Re: Chevy bringing back the Volt
« Reply #1 on: February 11, 2024, 07:28:51 AM »
My parents have one, and it has been their favorite car, ever… beating out a variety of practical, luxury and family cars over several decades.

Paper Chaser

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #2 on: February 11, 2024, 12:55:35 PM »
@Syonyk has been a huge proponent of the Chevy Volt, which was unfortunately discontinued in 2019 (unfortunate timing there, GM!).  It looks like they're bringing it back, though!

h/t to Linus Tech Tips for mentioning it.

Odds of a small car like the Volt coming back are pretty low. They're likely just going to add PHEV options to their trucks, SUVs, and crossovers. That's still cool, potentially game changing news considering you can't even get a hybrid Chevy right now (Corvette E-Ray doesn't really count).

I'm still surprised that GM never bothered to put the Voltec powertrain into the Equinox, which was the same platform as the Volt. It had to have just come down to economics ($/kwh probably), because a hybrid Equinox with 25-45 miles of EV range would've been in a class of it's own. The Rav4 Prime is just now getting there, and they sell every one they make without issue.

HeyMickey!

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #3 on: March 07, 2024, 02:11:46 PM »
I've always said the Volt is the best version - electric for 90+% of your daily driving, but gas for those rare times you have to evacuate for the hurricane.

I'm gonna dream big and maybe they'll make a hatchback version *fingers crossed*

surpasspro

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #4 on: March 07, 2024, 03:10:10 PM »
I own a 2014 Volt and next month will be 10 years owning it with about 90k miles. This car is the best of both worlds with no range anxiety.  Around 30-40 miles of battery range depending on the temperature outside winter vs summer.  Whic is enough range for me to get to work and back on full electric.  Plug it into a regular outlet overnight.  If I go on a longer trip, the engine kicks in to charge the batteries and then I'm still getting 40mpg.  My combined mpg electric/gas in 10 years is 90mpg.  I love that I can control when I go into electric mode for times I'm in traffice for better efficiency or when I just want to use the gas like on a cold day to warm up the car faster and not deplete the battery.  Since its a hatchback I can fit a lot of things in the car.  Way less maintenance than my former pure ice vehicles, haven't changed the brakes yet since I owned it due to the regin bracking and my driving style.

Sad that they disconntinued it, but If they put the voltec system in another car I'll look to buy that one.
« Last Edit: March 07, 2024, 03:14:38 PM by surpasspro »

Just Joe

• Walrus Stache
  • Teach me something.
« Reply #5 on: March 08, 2024, 06:00:16 AM »
The good ideas are always discontinued. Drove a Volt once. I was very impressed.

obstinate

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #6 on: March 10, 2024, 10:08:45 AM »
The volt is a really interesting concept to me. Drive train is fully electric, but it has a built-in generator. That's just awesome. I hope they have good success with its reanimation.