Author Topic: 2029 FIRE Cohort  (Read 146950 times)

caracarn

• Handlebar Stache
Re: 2029 FIRE Cohort
« Reply #400 on: October 19, 2020, 12:06:29 PM »
Yes welcome Chicken.  Not only is it possible, it's highly likely with some simple sticktuitivness and patience.  I had my net worth increase more in the last year than I had saved in total 5 years ago.  This does work.

BuffaloStache

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #401 on: October 19, 2020, 01:01:46 PM »
I've been running a bunch of sims lately and the numbers they return say I should be able to throw my lot in with the '29ers so here goes nothing. Tough to say how well it will work out without a crystal ball, though.

I've only known about the FIRE movement and MMM for about 3 years. I've always had a fair savings rate by normal society's standards but I never really looked at how to retire early until I found this place by accident when researching what to do with an old 401k account. What a surprise it was to run some numbers and see that retiring early was actually possible.

Echoing others to say welcome, Chicken! I love to hear of a fellow person that was blindly keeping a high savings rate, and then accidentally stumbled across the idea of FI. Despite a high SR I wasn't far along the path before discovering what FIRE was (mostly due to some college loans that I was crushing), but it's a great feeling to learn about what those sacrifices can unlock.

Stoked we're sub-3,000 days! And in reality, probably closer to 2,100 working days remaining!

SotI

• Bristles
« Reply #402 on: October 19, 2020, 01:08:45 PM »
I still have 2/3 of my target NW ahead of me.
May the economy and stock markets be with us.
I feel that the pandemic is sort of shaking things up, not sure where the dice will fall, tbh.

Just ploughing ahead as usual, I guess.

DeskJockey2028

• Pencil Stache
  • Aiming for 2028
« Reply #403 on: October 20, 2020, 07:12:49 AM »

Just ploughing ahead as usual, I guess.

That right there is, I feel, the greatest and most powerful principle of FIRE. Once you have things sorted out and headed in the right direction, just plough ahead as usual. And do that for 10-20 years (that's the harder part, the longevity of it). It's not glamorous, it's not action packed, it's not exciting. But damn, it works.

FI4good

• Stubble
  • EU citizen
« Reply #404 on: November 03, 2020, 11:51:34 AM »
Keep on keeping on all ..

I haven’t calculated my savings rate in a few years now, it’s ok .

It’s roughly 40-60%

I’ve recently started trying to save a bit in non-pension accounts as there are age limits in the uk & no workarounds that are not legally bending the intent of the law to get your pension money early.

Also a cash buffer helps you stay comfortable and able to pick up bargains if and when others are trying to sell illiquid assets, art works, cars, jewellery, watches. “There is tide & time in the affairs of men” and here the tide is going out & we get to see whos out of their depth ..

When i first started the FI journey i was getting the calculator out every hour or two , i think i’ve accepted it, obviously seeing your portfolio expand helps .

The glide path with no extra payments is there, achievable in 8-10 years time depending on the markets , the 200% matched company pension payments are now only adding to that, the company share scheme with 33% matching shares are all maxed out !

I don’t feel jealous of people with millions, i only have hundreds of thousands & it’s enough for me here , the money game has been won long term insofar as i define it . The extra is just layer upon layer of security & peace of mind which is nice.

Maybe i could push myself to go earlier but my life, my home , my partner , my job , my cat & my garden are just fine.

Stay the course team 29’ i’m sorry i don’t post more often but what more would you know of me ?

There will come a day when you don’t need to know what your worth other than “enough”.

I hope you get there soon if you’re not there already .

Bestwishes .

SotI

• Bristles
« Reply #405 on: November 04, 2020, 04:37:08 AM »
Keep on keeping on all ..
There will come a day when you don’t need to know what your worth other than “enough”.

I hope you get there soon if you’re not there already .

Bestwishes .
Thank you, FI4good, I hope I will get to that point in due course.
Life has been good for me, so far, so I should just keep going with the flow.

talltexan

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #406 on: November 09, 2020, 09:36:11 AM »
I was scheduled to rebalance on Saturday, so waited until today. Market suddenly feeling like it ran ahead of me!

BuffaloStache

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #407 on: November 24, 2020, 08:58:26 PM »
Rounding the corner and on to the final stretch of 2020! Honestly can't wait to get this wretched year behind me, regardless of how (shockingly, inexplicably) good it has been financially/towards my own FI journey.

For my fellow '29ers here in the US, have a safe and Happy Thanksgiving! May your zoom chats, bellies, and investment gains be plentiful as we kick off the holiday season.

DeskJockey2028

• Pencil Stache
  • Aiming for 2028
« Reply #408 on: November 25, 2020, 10:32:16 AM »
Thanks BuffaloStache! The holidays are here! Let's get through this set as safely as possible so that next year we can get back to seeing those we want to see, and enjoying the activities we're accustomed to enjoying! 

Rounding the corner and on to the final stretch of 2020! Honestly can't wait to get this wretched year behind me, regardless of how (shockingly, inexplicably) good it has been financially/towards my own FI journey.

For my fellow '29ers here in the US, have a safe and Happy Thanksgiving! May your zoom chats, bellies, and investment gains be plentiful as we kick off the holiday season.

bbates728

• Stubble
« Reply #409 on: November 25, 2020, 10:35:36 AM »
I love how far we are away from 2029 yet how this cohort is one of the most active. I think I may be graduating down to 2028 or even 2027 but feel a kinship with this cohort as my original.

Have a happy holiday season, all. Even if you are out of the US I hope you can get your hands on some turkey and gorge yourself as we do :)

There is certainly a lot to be thankful for, including financial security. I hope everyone stays healthy and a speedy recovery for anyone who isn't.

henramdrea

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #410 on: November 29, 2020, 12:17:41 PM »
I love how far we are away from 2029 yet how this cohort is one of the most active. I think I may be graduating down to 2028 or even 2027 but feel a kinship with this cohort as my original.

Have a happy holiday season, all. Even if you are out of the US I hope you can get your hands on some turkey and gorge yourself as we do :)

There is certainly a lot to be thankful for, including financial security. I hope everyone stays healthy and a speedy recovery for anyone who isn't.

Actually, quite good news!  I think anyone would be excited about whacking 1-2 years from the timeline.  Being dependant on at least partial SS, I'm pretty well entrenched in the 29'er fold.

BuffaloStache

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #411 on: November 30, 2020, 07:30:53 AM »
There is a pretty good chance I'll be FI before 2029, but I have a feeling that I won't pull the plug on RE until '29; or I may even choose to just downshift then. Having kids, a highly variable healthcare outlook here in the US, and a long RE ahead of me (hopefully 40+ years of blissful 'retirement') is definitely giving me motivation to tack on a couple of "one more year(s)" (OMY's). It's kind of crazy that I feel the pull for OMYs already when I'm still so far away from FI.

totally agree with @bbates728 , I love how active this cohort is and I'm thankful for the great discussion and support. Happy Holiday season everyone!

caracarn

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #412 on: November 30, 2020, 12:51:37 PM »
Yes, do enjoy that there are some regular posts here.  I may have pulled time frame up 4 years at this point but like you may stick it out until 2029 anyway.  As it sits 2025 would still have at least one kid not through college yet.  Given our plan involves downsizing from our 4 BR home to a smaller house (likely 2BR) and likely in another state we do not want to make it seem like we are just pulling the rip cord and telling kids it better work out as we have no space for you much ahead of a "normal" time frame.  Then again we've already semi-joked with those that remain that we are perhaps going to do that anyway.  We'll see.

I am not in anyway longing for OMY.  I currently cannot wait to be done.  9 years seems like an eternity. 

DeskJockey2028

• Pencil Stache
  • Aiming for 2028
« Reply #413 on: November 30, 2020, 04:29:30 PM »
Aye, I'm still looking at '28 as my go year. Possibly '27 but there'd have to be, well, what's been happening to the market last week for the next, oh, 7 years or so. I do like our little corner of the MMM forums though! It's great to hear from folks and commiserate with those who are waiting. I'm sure we'll pick up more members as we get closer to 2029.

talltexan

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #414 on: December 01, 2020, 10:42:17 AM »
It will really depend on the evolution of health care and higher education for us. My daughter will turn 17 in 2029, and my son will turn 15 at the end of that year.

HeadedWest2029

• Bristles
« Reply #415 on: December 29, 2020, 07:50:30 AM »
Agree with others that this cohort is fun to be a part of, even if my number keeps moving on up!  I got a little antsy and calculated my yearly savings rate because it's probably the metric I care about the most (well ok, net worth is fun to follow too).  With 2 days left, my savings rate is right at 49%!  Feel very lucky to stay employed the whole time.  Happy holidays 2029ers.

Would love to hear others in this cohort share their year end numbers
« Last Edit: December 29, 2020, 11:11:46 AM by HeadedWest2029 »

caracarn

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #416 on: December 29, 2020, 11:23:16 AM »
Very rough calculation is that I was about 35%, but that is against gross numbers so before taxes etc.   So really is higher. 

With regards to the earlier exit possibility, the calculator I use does not anticipate the market doing anything near what it is now.  I expect 6% in my analysis.  And it just plans for my basic contributions not for them to continue as they were this year which was an INSANE clip for us.  This year my extra savings was more than I made in total each year for the first decade I worked.  Those kinds of facts open ones eyes to how much of an outlier this year was.

DeskJockey2028

• Pencil Stache
  • Aiming for 2028
« Reply #417 on: December 29, 2020, 11:45:48 AM »
We're at about 35% savings rate as well. Still pretty much on track if slightly higher than what I expected. My projected figures for money in our retirement accounts is off by a good bit though. I'm about a year ahead of myself!

Our net worth has increased too, which surprises me. It's up about 5% even though we added about 65k to our mortgage for our addition and new kitchen. We did pay off the car finally which is nice. And thanks to the interest rate on our new mortgage, we'll be paid off in about 12.5 years from now (old mortgage would have been about 16 years away). We'll probably drop another year or two off as time goes by too.

I'm still on track for 2028, with 2027 being a potential.

caracarn

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #418 on: December 29, 2020, 11:57:41 AM »
I love the fact that I have access to Voya calculator from a previous employer.  It does all the work for you, including giving you the age you can retire (was 55 last week).  I had run the calculator for approval on this board from our math whizzes and they said it appears to be accurate in its algorithm, so saves me a lot of time.    When I joined this cohort it was telling me 59 (which is 2029), but since then I have shaved 4 years off and will see how it goes.  Not sure if you can get to this calculator without having a 401(k) with them as I have not found another way, but it is pretty nice and now that I know it is accurate to FIRE standards it is my gold standard.  If I worked to retirement age I'd be able to spend a ridiculous $119K a year. 

SotI

• Bristles
« Reply #419 on: December 29, 2020, 04:15:02 PM »
Still on track for FI and retirement in 2029.
Still hoping that I may manage faster, but that would require my employer to offer a suitable deal.
Not yet happening, though (they are offering some packages atm, but none that fit my terms).

BuffaloStache

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #420 on: December 30, 2020, 01:54:43 PM »
I'll post a more complete year-end reflection in my log, but my Savings Rate for 2020 was right around 37%. It surely was a wild ride!

Happy New Year's to all my fellow '29ers!

FI4good

• Stubble
  • EU citizen
« Reply #421 on: December 31, 2020, 09:55:40 AM »
Hey all ,
Happy new year.

Over the last 12 months my investments made me more than i saved.

In my active contribution pension from the start of year i saved roughly 20% of my starting ballance the money “saved” 24%
« Last Edit: December 31, 2020, 10:11:39 AM by FI4good »

henramdrea

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #422 on: January 01, 2021, 04:02:49 PM »
Hey that's fantastic FI4good!  That's where you want to be:  your money working for you instead of you working for the money!

Happy New Year!  Only 9 more of these left until our time comes!

Weisass

• Pencil Stache
    • "Deeper In Me Than I"
« Reply #423 on: January 01, 2021, 09:09:55 PM »
Coasting

I cribbed this from my journal but thought it'd be interesting to see other '29ers numbers.

Have you figured out your coast age? It's a neat little number that designates at what age you could retire if you put $0.00 into your funds from here on out, and assume a specific, average rate of return over the course of your investing life. The formula goes like this: "=LN((1+7%)^A*B/C)/ln((1+7%))" and I totally stole that from some reddit thread a while back.

A is my age. B is my goal invested dollars (I use current expenses*25). C is my investment portfolio value and 7% is the expected return of my portfolio. I've been tracking this once a month for over a year, making a few adjustments here and there. This is what it looks like for the past 11 months. It's the age at which I could coast into retirement followed by the date I tracked it.

67.79 as of 8/27/17
67.25 as of 9/26/17
66.33 as of 11/27/17
65.86 as of 12/21/17
65.14 as of 1/22/18
65.45 as of 4/5/18
64.70 as of 5/22/18
64.44 as of 6/27/18
64.87 as of 7/26/18

Fun. According to my math, my FI Coast age is 50 right now.

DeskJockey2028

• Pencil Stache
  • Aiming for 2028
« Reply #424 on: January 04, 2021, 07:41:09 AM »
For the first time ever, I'm finally into my 50's with my coast age! 59.72 years old is my current coast age.

As an aside, when I started this cohort 2029 just seemed so very far away at 12 years distant. Today we're (slightly) less than 8 years from 2029! Still far away but not 'over a decade to go' far away.
« Last Edit: January 04, 2021, 07:52:19 AM by DeskJockey2028 »

DeskJockey2028

• Pencil Stache
  • Aiming for 2028
« Reply #425 on: January 08, 2021, 07:07:45 AM »
Just wanted to point out that 2029 is less than 8 years away!

BuffaloStache

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #426 on: January 08, 2021, 07:30:28 AM »
According to my latest round of calcs, my current Coast Age is 50.4. It's the lowest it's ever been and I'm really excited for it to dip below 50!

Stoked that 2029 is less than 8 years away!

DeskJockey2028

• Pencil Stache
  • Aiming for 2028
« Reply #427 on: February 26, 2021, 07:20:51 AM »
Hey, look at that! It's almost March. These first two months of '21 have flown by for me. This coming March will mark the 4th year our cohort has been active here on the MMM forums. Crazy!

How's everyone doing? These are strange, interesting times and it's been tough for a lot of us in one way or another. Hope everyone's hanging in there and keeping as safe as possible.

maisymouser

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #428 on: February 26, 2021, 08:04:52 AM »
Nice of you to check in DeskJockey!

Financially things are running smoothly as planned for me*. NW at $224k with a target $1m FI stash**, so maybe I'm running a bit behind. Maxxed out my IRA for '21 and have continued to make my 401(k) / dcFSA contributions per usual. Hoping for a raise/promotion in March; would be nice to top $70k annual gross income.

Haven't spent much money this year.... EXCEPT: I am throwing ~$1k at starting up a small 2-hive apiary. Beekeeping supplies and bees are DANG expensive!! That said, I am trying to strike a better balance between "save every single dime, every penny" and "living life with a couple of fun non-free hobbies". I've made it to the point where I feel that even if things went south and I lost my job or something, I'd be OK for a couple years living off of what I have.

I don't know about others in our cohort, but 2029 is really just a stab in the dark for my FIRE year. I can see a lot of things changing my FIRE timeline, like having a second child and/or buying a different house. Balancing these very big-ticket expenses that make my life meaningful with the strong drive to FI in 8-10 years has proved particularly challenging, especially in the year of the pandemic when it really does seem like where we live and who we live with makes all the difference. I try to remind myself that it's not black and white, that there is coast-FIRE and barista-FIRE, and that it'll probably all work out as long as I keep aiming in those directions and working toward an eventual FIRE target. Does anyone else feel this way?

*Note: I keep my finances in this forum separate from DH since there's a sizeable age/NW gap.
**Not including primary residence (owe $42k, $73k "invested" in my half of the house). I plan to be a homeowner during FIRE so am not planning to draw off of that asset or include it in FIRE calculations.

henramdrea

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #429 on: February 26, 2021, 08:31:24 PM »
Good luck with the bees, maisymouser!  That's a noble endeavor.

'29 makes sense for me since it marks my 62nd year and the beginning of when I can take SS.  If I could go out sooner, believe me I would.

I am however looking at "coast-FIRE" in 6 years which would involve me cutting my workload in half.  My energies are focused in that direction now.

Hope all the other 29er's are fairing well in this first quarter.

SotI

• Bristles
« Reply #430 on: February 27, 2021, 03:18:30 AM »
Hi there, I am also still on track.
I am  concerned about this decade's economic and financial trajectory (financial market bubble, political (in)stability in the EU, climate change) which may derail my plans, but by and large, I am one of the fortunate ones, so far.

So, I focus on what I can do and try to block out the things that I cannot control and keep up my spirits by focusing on family pets and garden. Financial auto-piloting, basically.

Weisass

• Pencil Stache
    • "Deeper In Me Than I"
« Reply #431 on: February 27, 2021, 07:24:44 AM »
I think I’m still on track here. I have the advantage of a spouse who doesn’t want to retire early, and who works in academia, so that helps us out tremendously. Also, a huge chunk of our expenses right now are going to a nanny that will be phased out in a year, so that money can go to savings. We have four kids, so that nanny has been essential to us.

At this point our assets without counting our house are 635k, with the house we are close to the 1m mark.

BuffaloStache

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #432 on: February 28, 2021, 02:42:51 PM »
Howdy fellow '29ers! I'm still on track as well. @maisymouser , for me 2029 is a little better than a 'shot in the dark', more like an "educated guess" at this point. There are still a *TON* of unknowns about the next 8 years, but given my current state and my current trajectory we should definitely be FI in 2029. If things hold we actually may be FI a couple of years earlier, but I know myself and think there is a strong likelihood it'll take ~2 years for me to actually pull the plug and RE. My Coast Age is now below age 50 for the first time ever, so I think I'm definitely on the right track...

I like to follow the same mantra as @SotI ; focus on the things I have control over, try not to get too worried about the things I cant. Healthcare is another big thing I worry about, but we'll see how things change over the next ~8 years.

@Weisass , I'm actually in a similar situation to you. My spouse also works in Academia and doesn't have the same level of interest as me when it comes to retiring early (although she is interested in taking ~2+ month slow-travel trips in the summers). My goal is to get our family "FI" at our current expenditures before I pull the plug, so anything she makes above/beyond that is gravy. Also, if she can transition her current high-level research academia position into a lower-tiered one, then it may work out for us to keep affordable Healthcare and still get the summers off...

All this to say that there is a lot to finalize before I truly begin my FIRE life, but I figure 8 years of time (and at least 5+ of those without a toddler in the house) should be enough to figure things out. Plus I don't want to make any big/decisive plans early and then have something fundamentally change in that area.

Weisass

• Pencil Stache
    • "Deeper In Me Than I"
« Reply #433 on: February 28, 2021, 07:04:33 PM »

@Weisass , I'm actually in a similar situation to you. My spouse also works in Academia and doesn't have the same level of interest as me when it comes to retiring early (although she is interested in taking ~2+ month slow-travel trips in the summers). My goal is to get our family "FI" at our current expenditures before I pull the plug, so anything she makes above/beyond that is gravy. Also, if she can transition her current high-level research academia position into a lower-tiered one, then it may work out for us to keep affordable Healthcare and still get the summers off...

All this to say that there is a lot to finalize before I truly begin my FIRE life, but I figure 8 years of time (and at least 5+ of those without a toddler in the house) should be enough to figure things out. Plus I don't want to make any big/decisive plans early and then have something fundamentally change in that area.

Sounds familiar to me, @ BuffaloStache. I suspect that if we can get to the place where retirement is set, and he can research m-f, 9 months a year, he will be happy and so will I. He’s in a top tier research uni and absolutely loves it...I think the only thing that takes the shine off is the department drama...

FI4good

• Stubble
  • EU citizen
« Reply #434 on: March 02, 2021, 02:04:43 AM »
Hey all,
2029 hmm despite my main worry being running out of life before money i still find myself occasionally wondering will it be enough.
4 years ago i had less than the equivalent of $100,000 saved in pension accounts now i have over 1/4m so i think i’m doing ok.
maybe this is what one more year symptoms feels like ..
Eventually the money invested Vs. the P.I.T.A. that is work will have a tipping point thats when i’ll know.
 2029 is my approximation of that point but there is no cash target and no real date, i hope it will become apparent as the right thing to do at the right time.
Luckily none of that future stuff changes what i have to do today to get there ..
Keep on .. keeping on ..

mizzourah2006

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #435 on: March 02, 2021, 07:27:56 PM »
For us 2029 was just a goal to shoot for. We both like our jobs and have kids that will still be young in 2029 (13 and 11), so it may be a bit boring to retire and be grounded at our house 9 months out of the year, but who knows, a ton can change in 8 years. Now if I could go down to 3 days a week, I'd love that.

But even now I work from home so I do have the flexibility to bounce out early or take a long lunch on a nice day and go for an 8-12 mile mountain biking or gravel biking ride, which is my main hobby right now.

talltexan

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #436 on: March 09, 2021, 06:05:36 AM »
Cash flow improved mightily for us during the past year. I'm worried that some large, "upgrade cycle" type expenses are going to appear, though, like replacing a creaking HVAC system. Best wishes for continued success to the group!

HeadedWest2029

• Bristles
« Reply #437 on: March 09, 2021, 07:18:07 AM »
I just got our taxes done and found out we way overpaid with estimated taxes last year (long story), so between a big refund, stimulus money, and the increased child tax credit I feel like I just landed on the Monopoly 'bank error in your favor, collect $200'.  With the weather improving and being fully vaccinated, my mood is on the uptrend.  2021 is looking pretty promising

DeskJockey2028

• Pencil Stache
  • Aiming for 2028
« Reply #438 on: March 09, 2021, 07:28:52 AM »
My wife and I both just got our appointments to get vaccinated! Can't wait! Next week we'll get either the 1st shot or the only shot, depending on what's on offer.

I just got our taxes done and found out we way overpaid with estimated taxes last year (long story), so between a big refund, stimulus money, and the increased child tax credit I feel like I just landed on the Monopoly 'bank error in your favor, collect $200'.  With the weather improving and being fully vaccinated, my mood is on the uptrend.  2021 is looking pretty promising

mizzourah2006

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #439 on: March 09, 2021, 12:19:35 PM »
Cash flow improved mightily for us during the past year. I'm worried that some large, "upgrade cycle" type expenses are going to appear, though, like replacing a creaking HVAC system. Best wishes for continued success to the group!

I feel like this has been happening to us yearly for the past 3-5 years. Some of it was of our own volition, like new flooring, new kitchen countertop, new landscaping, etc. But some of it has needed to be replaced, like a new roof, new ovens, new washing machine, etc. I think our HVAC is on it's last leg too. Luckily we use it so gently, with winters between 60-65 and summers between 76-80. So I'm hoping it gets another year or so. I feel like we're a dishwasher and an HVAC system from a brand new house, lol.

talltexan

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #440 on: March 10, 2021, 06:48:05 AM »
Indeed my experience waiting for that refund from tax year 2019 has me more determined than ever to keep underpaying on my future income tax withholding.

DeskJockey2028

• Pencil Stache
  • Aiming for 2028
« Reply #441 on: March 13, 2021, 07:01:09 AM »
Happy 4th year of existence to the 2029 cohort! On this day in 2017, when 2029 seemed wildly far away, this cohort was created.

Now we're a mere 7 years, 9 months and 20 days away from 1/1/29. :)

henramdrea

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #442 on: March 14, 2021, 05:21:00 PM »
Happy 4th year of existence to the 2029 cohort! On this day in 2017, when 2029 seemed wildly far away, this cohort was created.

Now we're a mere 7 years, 9 months and 20 days away from 1/1/29. :)
[/quote

I'm fully aboard the hype-train!  It can't get here soon enough for me!

I like this little calculater created by one of our mustachian members here:  https://engaging-data.com/freedom-calculator/

It calculates how much money you need to invest to buy a day of freedom for the rest of your life.  It's a nice visual exercise.

DeskJockey2028

• Pencil Stache
  • Aiming for 2028
« Reply #443 on: March 15, 2021, 07:40:17 AM »
Excellent!  I do love a great calculator!

SomethingFishy

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #444 on: March 19, 2021, 04:26:56 AM »
Hello there! Time to put a stake in the ground and say that the goal for FI is 2029. That probably won’t be my RE year, but that’s when I hope to have enough money to never worry about workplace volatility again!

As of year end 2020, we’re at 73% of the way to target. That sounds good, but we’ve entered our highest spending years, with what will likely be 3 kids in childcare all at once. This happening at the same time one of us has reduced hours due to COVID furloughs and the other will have reduced hours due to maternity leave means our savings rate will be below 36% gross for the first time since we began tracking. Only one of us leans mustachian, which further complicates savings rates in challenging times. Still, 2029 seems plausible. Hope to do some celebrating with the rest of you in less than 8 more years!

BuffaloStache

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #445 on: March 19, 2021, 06:49:23 AM »
Hello there! Time to put a stake in the ground and say that the goal for FI is 2029. That probably won’t be my RE year, but that’s when I hope to have enough money to never worry about workplace volatility again!

As of year end 2020, we’re at 73% of the way to target. That sounds good, but we’ve entered our highest spending years, with what will likely be 3 kids in childcare all at once. This happening at the same time one of us has reduced hours due to COVID furloughs and the other will have reduced hours due to maternity leave means our savings rate will be below 36% gross for the first time since we began tracking. Only one of us leans mustachian, which further complicates savings rates in challenging times. Still, 2029 seems plausible. Hope to do some celebrating with the rest of you in less than 8 more years!

Welcome, @SomethingFishy ! Sounds like you've made some great progress already and we look forward to hearing about more.

henramdrea

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #446 on: March 21, 2021, 09:21:06 AM »

Welcome!  You got this!  Kids are very expensive, especially when we want the best for them.  2 of mine are grown (still coming/going at the house though) and the third is only 11.  It does slow the savings rate for sure, but they grow up amazingly fast.  Home ownership can also offer its share of unforeseen money-spending.  Best wishes!

caracarn

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #447 on: March 31, 2021, 01:04:05 PM »
The biggest news on my front is with the upping of putting 15% into my 401(k) for all of COVID and likely to keep going and everything else that has happened is that my VOYA calculator I use had now moved up retirement from where it was, way ahead of 2029 already last year to about 3 years away if we wanted.  We are not going to FIRE then because our plan involves kids being out and us moving which would be disruptive is kids were still here and with youngest a sophomore in high school this year that means we are likely 5-6 years at best, which is why the original 2029 worked out well, but I cannot tell you how uplifting it is to know that if things trend as expected, then by 2024 or so if I want to step away or job dries up or I want to use my FU money to say FU, I will be at that point.  I went from 5 years out to 3, in a combination of increased growth of investments and upping the 401(k) so it does not seem that adding money late in the game has almost no impact.  Then again, I had increased my contributions 150% (from 6% of pay to 15%) so not exactly a small amount.

So that news is what prompted me to get back on the boards and share my happiness.  I am cautiously optimistic.  Job and company is good and very happy with me so what I can control I am by being a rock star employee.  Working from home has lowered our expenses by at least $10K a year which we are just saving.  Our plan is to take a month at a time as we get closer and try to  "live like a local" in the places we are considering to help make our final choice and my boss said that since it is likely work from home will now be permanent for us she said I could just work remote from wherever so not have to take vacation to do it if I did not want to.  I am trying not to be too complacent about how well things are going because i have experienced Murphy's Law in my life enough to know better, but today I am thrilled with our financial situation.

BuffaloStache

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #448 on: April 01, 2021, 07:02:23 AM »
Congrats @caracarn ! That is great news. Looks like you have the right idea of it; Once you are ready, you can leverage your 'work-from-home' ability to go live like a local in your proposed area for retirement. This way you can get the lay of the land, ensure you like it as much as you think you might, and not have to worry too much about finances.

The only idea I'll add is: have you thought about the idea of Downshifting? If you are truly at/above your FIRE number in ~2025 or so, would it help at all to down-shift to being part time at your job? In my mind, you could still complete your plan the way you want, but if you were working only 20-32 hours/week then you might have more time to enjoy exploring your new potential town(s). It seems like it's a common thing at my company (mostly for people 60+, but we do have some FIRE-minded people that jump into part-time work earlier), but I know it's not easy to do it everywhere. Either way, good luck and keep it up!

henramdrea

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #449 on: April 02, 2021, 03:35:31 PM »
That's excellent news, caracarn!  I hope to soon be able to downshift as BuffaloStache has mentioned above.  I think it's a great idea to help make the final push a little more tolerable.  2029 can't get here soon enough!
Happy Easter everyone, be well.

Wow, a phone plan for fifteen bucks!