Author Topic: 2028 FIRE Cohort  (Read 13404 times)

DeskJockey2028

• Pencil Stache
  • Aiming for 2028
Re: 2028 FIRE Cohort
« Reply #50 on: July 03, 2019, 07:32:17 AM »
I founded the 2029 cohort thread as I thought that'd be when I was retiring a few years back. Managed to shave a year off though. That's a very active discussion compared to this one mostly because early on a bunch of us put a bit of work into it. We figured out various milestones based on when the cohort began its existence and have a countdown to 1/1/2029 as well as a check in once or twice a year when we hit a new percentage milestone.  https://forum.mrmoneymustache.com/welcome-to-the-forum/2029-fire-cohort/msg1534915/#msg1534915 is the latter if anyone wants to check it out.

Even there though discussion is tapering a bit as we slide into the long middle of saving and saving some more.

E.T.

• Stubble
« Reply #51 on: July 08, 2019, 06:28:36 PM »
I tend towards introverted, and I also have a lot of things on autopilot right now. Maybe the few of us in this cohort are just quiet? I'll probably just post a progress update at the end of the year and that will be good enough for me.

LeftA

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #52 on: July 19, 2019, 06:34:39 PM »
Well, cohort peeps we just passed the $1M mark in net worth so I thought that was worth a post in here.

efree

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
    • My blog about P2P lending
« Reply #53 on: July 20, 2019, 07:03:42 AM »
Well, cohort peeps we just passed the $1M mark in net worth so I thought that was worth a post in here.
Congrats! You must have a high target number if you plan to work 9 more years. That will probably get you past the $2M mark.

LeftA

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #54 on: July 21, 2019, 08:07:22 PM »
@efree , thanks for the congrats. And, yes the number I have in mind is just over $2M. We have a lot tied into our house (HCOH here) necessitating a high total net worth to be able to retire.

Luckily, I am currently enjoying my work and my husband is interested in working even longer than me.

blacktea

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #55 on: July 28, 2019, 10:44:41 PM »
just checked,reached 1 million mark,without including house equity. Hope to reach 2 millions in 9 years. It would be tough as also need to pay kid's extra curriculum and college tuition between now and then.

Daisyedwards800

• Bristles
« Reply #56 on: January 24, 2020, 09:10:53 AM »
I am pretty sure this is going to be my cohort.  I will be about 45, and my boyfriend will be able to retire with a pension this year.  I am currently only at 7x my annual spending so I have a lot of work to do.

Garrett B.

• Bristles
« Reply #57 on: March 04, 2020, 06:18:50 AM »
This is my FI cohort, but I may decide to continue working a few additional years, to increase the stash! 

sailinlight

• Stubble
« Reply #58 on: June 08, 2020, 08:25:05 PM »
I'd like to join this group. We have decent income and savings but a huge annual spend currently but only because we are prioritizing convenience and sanity while our kids are growing up. In 2028 our youngest will be going to college and our budget should be slashed dramatically.

mgnhrvth

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #59 on: June 20, 2020, 05:04:56 AM »
I'm glad to find that 2028 is an active cohort already! I will retire with 20 years active duty in Sept 2028, and hopefully I'll be able to convince my husband to join me within a few years.

How is your journey going? I am pretty much in the same situation and timeline as you!

LeftA

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #60 on: August 01, 2020, 01:22:26 PM »
We are a very quite bunch! Still looking at 2028, but progress is good and could be sooner - just hit 1.2M in net worth. But, my husband wants to work longer and I'm not sure I want to be retired too many years while he continues to work. Also, lots could happen in 8 years so this cohort is as good as any :)

How's everyone doing?

haypug16

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #61 on: August 12, 2020, 09:31:29 AM »
2028 is my stretch goal. I'm in the 2030 cohort as my most likely FIRE year but I'm really hoping to retire on my 50th birthday 12/20/2028! Shaving 2 years off my FIRE date is not completely out of the question what will all the time ahead of me to get to work. I did recently discover that I could reduce my FIRE number by a small amount as our house will be paid off by 2033 (at the latest) unless we move to a much more expensive house (not likely!)

hudsoncat

• Bristles
« Reply #62 on: August 12, 2020, 06:23:09 PM »
Still saving, still on track, still worried I might need to save a bit more to offset the money pit of a house I seem to have purchased. It's not really a money pit... but at this rate in 2028 everything should be new within the past 10-15 years! Probably just in time to start replacing everything again. ha!

I had hoped by now to be saving a bit more (see aforementioned money pit), but the markets are making up for my lack of savings. So we'll keep chugging along and putting money in.

Polaria

• Stubble
« Reply #63 on: December 02, 2020, 12:11:35 AM »
My current plan is to FIRE on the 31th of May 2028.

never give up

• Magnum Stache
  • Kindness is free to give and priceless to receive
« Reply #64 on: December 13, 2020, 03:26:22 AM »
Hi everyone (waves),

Iíd like to join this cohort retiring on 1st Jan 2028 if I may. This is a very quiet cohort compared with 2029 and 2030 but I notice many of the posters on page 1 havenít logged in for well over a year. Hopefully there are loads of active 2028 forum members bubbling away in the background working diligently towards their goal.

Iíll be 50 (eek) in 2028 so I just wanted to beat that milestone and be able to say that I retired in my 40ís. Iím likely to be FI way before then but Iím using my RE date as the criteria for joining a cohort.

Months and months ago in my journal, I realised in talking through all this FIRE stuff, that I had two objectives. The first was to avoid having to work in my 50ís. I do feel that is largely a necessity rather than a luxury. I want to avoid stress, sitting at a desk and screen, deadlines and a lack of freedom when I move into that age group. The second objective was to ensure I could go part time as early as possible in my 40ís. Iím currently aiming for 44-45 for this objective.

Rather than FIRE I thought of this second milestone as Financial Accomplishment Reducing Time. I.e. FI hasnít quite been achieved but nevertheless a significant financial accomplishment has been, and this would allow me to reduce to hopefully a 2.5 or 3 day working week. Unfortunately as an acronym this is FART rather than something cool like FIRE. I always seem to get unlucky on things like this. So Iím a wannabe FARTer and Iím proud of that what anyone says. We have to embrace what we are.

I have since learned there are phrases like CoastFI, SWAMI, lean FIRE etc. This sort of thing is all good! Basically I want to avoid grinding out a full time stressful position just to hit some number. I want to live as healthy a life as possible as soon as possible.

The additional years part time will help provide State Pension credits and basically means Iím spreading the amount I need to save over a longer time period to minimise the amount of full time years I work.

Letís do this 2028ers!

E.T.

• Stubble
« Reply #65 on: December 13, 2020, 08:36:51 PM »
Welcome to the group @Polaria and @never give up ! I'm quietly chugging along towards FIRE in 2028 as well, hope everyone is doing well on their goals!

never give up

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #66 on: December 14, 2020, 04:47:23 AM »
Thanks for the welcome E.T. Glad youíre progressing well.

Otter+Badger

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #67 on: December 14, 2020, 12:57:45 PM »
Welcome!

Thank you for jump-starting a conversation again.  The pandemic and working from home definitely reignited my desire to work towards financial independence.  As I've stated before, my husband and I both have underlying health issues.  When the pandemic first started, we were both faced with what happens if our jobs force us to go into the office.  Realizing we had enough saved already to be able to walk away while it was unsafe for us was liberating, but also really made us realize how much we may be one serious health problem away from having to leave the workforce for good.  We always *knew* that, but this situation made it real for us.

I will also say on the positive side, we both really liked working from home.  We got to see each other all day and also able to do various projects around the house that we didn't really have time for when we were commuting to work everyday.  So, our limited glimpse of being home was great.

I plan to go over all our 2020 expenses with a fine tooth comb while off on the holidays.  I'd really like to see if we could tighten our belt a bit more and make sure we're on track for our July 1, 2028 date.  Hope others are happy and healthy heading into 2021.

never give up

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #68 on: December 14, 2020, 01:05:52 PM »
Iíve enjoyed working from home too Otter+Badger. I donít really want to go back. Good luck with the 2020 expenses. Mine are at record low. Itís been such a strange year.