Author Topic: 2026 FIRE Cohort  (Read 131950 times)

LinneaH

• Bristles
Re: 2026 FIRE Cohort
« Reply #150 on: September 20, 2020, 09:14:52 AM »
I'm out, folks. Presuming things stay reasonably on track (no worse than zero market growth) - I'm solidly in the Class of '23 for FI.

Kinda scary. I started the 2027 thread - but boosted income and a more granular look at investments/pension/SS has accelerated things, lopping off 4 years so far.

(Apologies for the crosspost if you read multiple FIRE Cohort threads)

Sounds great! Congratulations, sorry to see you leave the 2026:ers :-)

Huskerfan

• Stubble
« Reply #151 on: October 06, 2020, 08:54:04 PM »
I’m going to toss my hat into the ring for 2026. Specifically I’m looking at 30JUN2026.

Things are looking good for the spouse and I, as we keep chugging along and work towards our goal as FI.  Spouse just rec’d a pay raise, and I’m due about 25% pay increase next fall. We have about three years left for our mortgage, and basically everything else is complete and paid off.  I could technically retire in less than two years; but the Jun ‘26 timeframe allows a bit more for cushioning our savings. Retiring in ‘26 places my spouse at 50 and myself at 48.  Plus I’d like to ensure my high-3 pension so I can squeak out additional pension money.

I’ll have to dive into some numbers here for this thread, but need to compile a couple more things first and then check it with my case study.   

Happy to join you all

Segare

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #152 on: November 04, 2020, 08:26:59 AM »
2026 is when I plan to retire also. I will be 62.  The wife will be retiring in a few years.
I had a late start. We only owe a few years on the house and I am starting to put more into investments like mutual funds and ETF's.  We might not have as huge of an amount as many, but we are going work on getting up there and then we can deal with whatever it is.

alcon835

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #153 on: November 15, 2020, 06:04:00 PM »
Joining in for 2026! I've only been doing this for a few years, but have reason to believe I'll get a few boosts in the next few years. Like OP, I'll be 40 in 2026, so my goal is to be FIRE-able by July of that year!

Jessamine

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #154 on: January 11, 2021, 10:21:04 AM »
Hope everyone is doing well! Giving us a bit of a bump since we've dropped to page 5.

But we're only 5 years out now!!  How is everyone doing on their journey?

I had an epiphany midway through 2020 and the lockdown that if I sold my current condo and invested the proceeds, I could FIRE now... As long as I found a place to live for free.  So I'm reframing this in my mind that once I figure out my retirement living situation, I'm ready to go.  My condo isn't necessarily a good fit for me now as far as location, hobbies, and neighbors, so I'm actively looking for a new living situation... Likely going to purchase a new place further out of the city that better fits my needs and wants.  So once I save enough to manage payments after retirement, or pay it off before I retire, I'll be pretty much good to go.  It's simplified the remaining journey toward FIRE for me into one tangible goal.  I'm excited!

alcon835

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #155 on: January 11, 2021, 11:10:26 AM »
So far, I'm about where I thought I would be.

21% of the way to full FIRE and 26% of the way to lean FIRE. I expect this year to double my overall investments through some bonuses I'm hoping to hit as well as pivoting a significant portion of my income into investing/savings over the next 12 months. I also expect the market to gain a nice boost this year, but who knows what the markets will do - and who knows what our world will do.

All that being said, I am still on track for 2026. It seems like I am a long way off, but there are a few large boosts I expect to hit over the next two years that should accelerate my percentages quite a bit.

Honestly? At this time of year I really long for FIRE. Wish I could just walk away from work for awhile and recover from 2020....heck recover from the last few weeks! It's emotionally and spiritually draining.

Just another reason to keep working, keep savings, and keep pressing forward toward FIRE!
« Last Edit: January 12, 2021, 08:04:03 AM by alcon835 »

LoanShark

• Stubble
« Reply #156 on: January 11, 2021, 01:54:41 PM »
Still on track. Finished the year at 67% of my "FIRE" goal. If i just average what I've been able to save annually over the last five years, we should be "independent" in 2.7 years. Fingers crossed...

FIPurpose

• Handlebar Stache
    • FI With Purpose
« Reply #157 on: January 13, 2021, 08:18:18 PM »
I haven't done this calculation in a while!

I measure us at about 54% of the way to lean FIRE and 45% of the way to full FIRE! Still showing using hitting our number by the end of 2026, but I've been thinking about potentially shifting down instead around 2025 or finding a different career.

But overall I'm very happy with our progress. I already have been feeling more freedom in changing jobs or not necessarily needing to have the highest paying job. I've been having a lot of fun thinking about all the different directions I could take in the next few years. Traveling, working on new projects or ideas. I feel like once we start to approach the 80% mark, my SO can probably quit. There's something a bit unsettling about thinking that only one of us will be working in a few years. In fact, it'll be very strange how in a few years I'll be able to say "yeah, I'm just wealthy enough to do whatever, or nothing." Not many people in history have had that privilege.

Focus_on_the_fire

• Stubble
« Reply #158 on: January 24, 2021, 01:24:54 PM »
Hi,

Count me in the 2026 group. 01NOV26.

At that point, I'll have 30 years in at 59 YO. For some reason, retiring before 60 is a big deal to me. I'd get more if I stayed to 62, but IT years are hard years.

We've been diligent and are at the "no debt, just bills" phase. Neither of us want to be landlords, so we're focused on investments for the next few years. I'm also considering side hustles that could work into nice retirement gigs.

I made a spreadsheet that calculates, days, weeks, and months. It's silly, but after back-to-back meetings and inane requests from "management," it makes me happy.

Thanks!

Huskerfan

• Stubble
« Reply #159 on: February 06, 2021, 02:07:34 PM »
Just checking back in.  Still looking at JUN 2026 as our time to retire and move to the next phase in life. I was running some math and was going to move our date to DEC 2025, but the thought of missing out on perhaps $650 a month for pension money didn’t sit well with me.  Especially if I’d be on leave for @ 90-110 of those days.  I’m still in debate on if I want to accelerate my TSP payments to max out my contributions that early (by June of that year) or pocket the extra money and start bleeding money over to a Roth IRA. 

A lot of things up for consideration... but JUN 2026 sounds very solid.

LeftA

• Stubble
« Reply #160 on: February 06, 2021, 02:19:35 PM »
I’d like to join you 2026’ers. I just left the 2028 group and feel like this is a good place for me now. DH wants to work longer so it’s realistic to expect I’ll be able to FIRE in 2026. Not going to pick an exact date within the year though.

Thanks for having me!

TomTX

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #161 on: February 06, 2021, 07:22:15 PM »
I’d like to join you 2026’ers. I just left the 2028 group and feel like this is a good place for me now. DH wants to work longer so it’s realistic to expect I’ll be able to FIRE in 2026. Not going to pick an exact date within the year though.

Thanks for having me!

Good for you! I started the 2027 thread and have drifted to closer dates ;)

PseudoStache

• Stubble
« Reply #162 on: February 06, 2021, 07:58:35 PM »
Just tuning in as this is the year my wife and I would like to FIRE.

I would say we are about a third of the way towards our number.

If things remain "status quo" I'd feel very confident in achieving this... but I just can't see me holding this job or finding something that generates the same level of income for the next ten years.

At the very least I hope to have FU money that allows me to something I really want to do.

Good luck to all!

I haven't really been on the forum much in the last 2 years, but this thread popped up and I'm about 1/2 way through from my original post.

Back in 2016 I said I was only about a third of the way there... but I surpassed that target in 2020 with this crazy market... and am already 22% above it!  So I did it in half the time (5 of 10 years)!

I guess I'm a SWAMI at this point, as I'm still planning to remain in this cohort with golden handcuffs attached.

While I've surpassed the Net Worth bucket and could pay off my home today, I timed that payoff for 2026 - This is probably the main and only reason why I'm still hanging around.

I will say that if I do lose the job that I currently have before 2026, I will not likely seek a traditional 9-5, but will probably find a "fun" way to bring enough income to not dip into the stache while I pay off my home.

5-ish more years!  (December 31st, 2026 at 11:59PM still counts!)
« Last Edit: February 06, 2021, 08:00:18 PM by PseudoStache »

LeftA

• Stubble
« Reply #163 on: February 19, 2021, 02:54:46 PM »
Thanks @TomTX ! I did see that, congratulations to you!

I’d love to have enough to do it in 2025. But, I think moving from 2028 to 2026 is a big jump already so I’ll stay here.

TomTX

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #164 on: February 19, 2021, 08:34:36 PM »
Thanks @TomTX ! I did see that, congratulations to you!

I’d love to have enough to do it in 2025. But, I think moving from 2028 to 2026 is a big jump already so I’ll stay here.

Thank you. I am now targeting 2023...

elysianfields

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #165 on: March 03, 2021, 02:18:41 AM »
I would say stay away from VA, the taxes suck. Just lived there 4 years (but not a resident since we are military) and all my neighbors were constantly complaining about the taxes. You have to pay taxes every year on your personal property, meaning cars/RV's. Not just registration like FL. And that tax amount is different depending on how expensive your vehicle is. Also they have state income taxes as well. Everyone I know that is currently a resident, but a federal employee, says as soon as they hit their retirement date they are moving the next day to get away from the taxes.

I have no idea about those other states, but I would look into the tax situation in each state. We are still FL residents living in MA and we will ALWAYS keep our FL residency because of the low taxes.

@regenaeb, Of course if you don't own a car or RV, or only own old ones, your personal property tax drops significantly.

Virginia resident, Federal worker, we briefly considered changing to FL as well.  However, we decided we preferred the public colleges in the Old Dominion, and one child is attending.  We also feel we obtain pretty good value for our taxes in Virginia, YMMV.

elysianfields

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #166 on: March 03, 2021, 02:23:45 AM »
I depart my current assignment and the worst boss I have ever reported to in the Foreign Service in < 3 weeks.
Best of luck with the new assignment!  I feel your pain, because my last one also SUCKED due to the boss.  We just moved to Hawaii this year.  4 years to go in Hawaii, and then we'll either get lucky with an extension until retirement or I'll have one more move.

@Dexterous thanks for the well wishes.  This assignment and the boss have been much better, but the workload really increased due to COVID.  I'm hoping to get a promotion out of it, at least.  Stay tuned.

elysianfields

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #167 on: March 03, 2021, 03:35:17 AM »
Just checking back in.  Still looking at JUN 2026 as our time to retire and move to the next phase in life. I was running some math and was going to move our date to DEC 2025, but the thought of missing out on perhaps $650 a month for pension money didn’t sit well with me.  Especially if I’d be on leave for @ 90-110 of those days.  I’m still in debate on if I want to accelerate my TSP payments to max out my contributions that early (by June of that year) or pocket the extra money and start bleeding money over to a Roth IRA. 

A lot of things up for consideration... but JUN 2026 sounds very solid.

@Huskerfan  @Sailor Sam is this turning into a Fed thread?

In a few more weeks, I'll pass my "Service Computation Date" for the 15th time, start enjoying an extra six days of leave each year, and begin counting down the last five years to my 20.  Congrats to @Sailor Sam who reaches a similar anniversary next week.

I'm one of those stock-picking infidels (!) who has lots of indexing funds in my TSP and retirement plans from former employers.  My Roth IRA has done better than any of those funds so :-P to all of you who say it can't be done.  Perhaps I'm luckier than smart but there you are.

I long had an infatuation with DRIPs, but now that many brokerages offer free dividend reinvestment and fractional share purchases, I simplified my life by selling, transferring, and consolidating lots of DRIPs.  Like @FIPurpose I've also been consolidating Lending Club funds and look forward to reclaiming lots of hours previously spent accounting for these multiple accounts.

When HSA Bank started requiring account holders to maintain $1000 in cash rather than allowing me to invest all of my HSA funds immediately, I opened an HSA at Fidelity, which allows fractional share purchase and is completely fee-free, and moved all my ETFs there.  Now when employer contributions hit HSA Bank, I transfer everything but $0.01 (long story) into Fidelity, which already receives my pre-tax employee contributions through payroll.  I put my green soldiers to work more quickly and continue to save OASDI and Medicare taxes.

Fidelity seemed like a good choice for my Roth IRA as well, since I wanted to purchase fractional shares.

After paying fees for some ATM withdrawals from our two banks (though I'm otherwise generally a fan of PenFed and USAA), I remembered @Jeremy 's International ATM Bonanza.  Further down that page, there's a referral code for Charles Schwab that I used to consolidate our former DRIPs with some other taxable funds and score a $500 bonus.  Schwab also refunded the $75 transfer fee that E*Trade charged us.

In the Foreign Service, we're allowed to take a salary advance at 0% when we transfer to a new assignment; this allows us to cover expenses we might have in making the transfer.  Automobiles are expensive, and some countries, for instance, will only allow diplomats to import cars of that model year; others require right-hand drive, untinted windows, or something else.  In our case, we moved from Europe, where we infrequently drove a 13 year-old hatchback (acquired for a mere €4500), to Africa, where we really needed a 4WD vehicle with clearance for our jaunts in the hinterlands.  We're not SUV people generally, and we used all the space and the cargo box on the roof for a three-week adventure upcountry that saw us drive ~2000 km over some really crappy "roads".  All in all, I took advantage of the full salary advance, > $20k, and invested a portion of it in our eight year-old new-to-us vehicle.  The rest we spent on lodging during home leave and on consumables (in some countries, one cannot purchase or ship certain foods, beverages, or other consumables (think: TP, kitty litter, diapers, as the case may be) so we receive a consumable allowance).  I'm repaying the advance over 18 pay periods and will complete that at the end of the month.  Thank you, American Taxpayers, I'm indeed deeply grateful.

We've paid the final tuition bill for one soon-to-be college grad, and have two years to go for our younger child.  The 25% differential pay for working in this particularly difficult country has really helped.  We were also very happy to take such a long vacation - perhaps one of the last as a family - in the SUV.

I continue to contribute the maxima to our various accounts: TSP, Roth IRAs, HSA, LEXFSA.  Once I've finished repaying the salary advance, I can even start paying down our HELOC at PenFed at 4.75%.  Our net worth has increased tremendously along with the market since I last checked in, and we're on track for fat - or perhaps even obese - FIRE.  I'm really staying for the adventure - I love the Foreign Service lifestyle - and the FEHB that continues into Federal retirement.  My pension will provide an additional benefit, but we consider the FEHB almost as valuable, though our contributions will increase faster than inflation.  I could write an entire post on American health care, but this post is getting fairly long already.

In any case, it's an honor and incredible privilege to live overseas while serving my country, despite some of the hardships of my current assignment.  COVID, in particular, has brought serious challenges given the lack of medical care available in this developing country.  But that's a topic for another post perhaps.

Keep the FIRE burning,

Elysian
« Last Edit: March 03, 2021, 03:36:53 AM by elysianfields »

Sailor Sam

• CMTO 2023 Attendees
  • Walrus Stache
  • Semper...something
« Reply #168 on: March 03, 2021, 08:21:11 AM »
@elysianfields, it might be turning into a Fed Thread!

Only a few more days until the big 15, yup. You get increases in leave computation, but officially get to turn down REDUX. Is telling The Man to suck it actually telling yourself to suc..... Okay, I’ll stop.

FIPurpose

• Handlebar Stache
    • FI With Purpose
« Reply #169 on: March 03, 2021, 11:36:50 AM »
Nice report @elysianfields !

I got my 1099 from LC and it said that I had $33 of recoveries last year. Mostly in the early half of the year. please please please be done! Hopefully they won't be sending me anymore 1099's.

I was dabble a bit here and there with stocks. I would say that my ability to stock pick is middling-to-bad haha. I escaped some of my most volatile positions without huge losses, so I'll call it good.

Vanguard recently changed their costs for trading from $7 to free for all stocks in their index fund and I think $2 for everything else. So I figured, "yep, that's good enough to close out my Interactive Brokers account". I was getting very annoyed at how much effort making trades were at IB. If I were trading daily, it's a fantastic tool set. But for the dozen or so trades I put in a year, it's way too much bother. Consolidation has greatly reduced the amount of time it takes to keep track of my stuff and simplified my life a good bit.

Congrats on the anniversary. My parent is also in federal work and is hanging in for another year to hit that big pension boost.

LeftA

• Stubble
« Reply #170 on: March 28, 2021, 06:11:35 PM »
I came over to this thread looking for more activity...but it’s pretty quiet here!

How far along is everyone in terms of NW and in relation to your overall goal?

Mine is sitting at 1.4M NW. However, house is not yet paid off and I want to have $1.25 M in LNW. Currently only have around $650K. DH plans to continue working, so really want to call it quits in 2026.

TomTX

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #171 on: March 28, 2021, 07:58:59 PM »
Once I've finished repaying the salary advance, I can even start paying down our HELOC at PenFed at 4.75%.

Why are you sitting on a HELOC at 4.75%? You can get a much better rate, and there is typically no prepayment penalty.

As a comparison, my CU has a 10-year HEL or HELOC at 2.75%.

alcon835

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #172 on: March 29, 2021, 09:04:42 AM »
I came over to this thread looking for more activity...but it’s pretty quiet here!

Mine is sitting at 1.4M NW. However, house is not yet paid off and I want to have $1.25 M in LNW. Currently only have around $650K. DH plans to continue working, so really want to call it quits in 2026.

Not a ton has changed for me. I'm 24% of the way to my FIRE goal and 28% of the way to my lean fire goal. Most of my Net Worth is in stocks & cash with about 18% in my home value. I expect to make some significant progress on my NW this year with a recent raise and a lot of opportunities for very large bonuses as we come out of COVID. Further, I expect to hit 60% of my goal over the next two years if my current company continues to do well (I have a lot of stock options and we are a prime candidate for acquisition in the next 18-to-24 months).

so, all-in-all I am still chugging along. I don't expect to pay off my house or git my big break this year, but I do hope to be more than 30% to FIRE by EOY.

elysianfields

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #173 on: March 30, 2021, 06:45:01 AM »
Once I've finished repaying the salary advance, I can even start paying down our HELOC at PenFed at 4.75%.

Why are you sitting on a HELOC at 4.75%? You can get a much better rate, and there is typically no prepayment penalty.

As a comparison, my CU has a 10-year HEL or HELOC at 2.75%.

Thanks for asking, @TomTX, it's a non-owner occupied home, AKA an investment property, and I searched high & low a few years back before taking out the HELOC at prime plus 1.5%.  Moreover, they offered a huge credit line, which serves as our emergency fund.  On top of that, some of the balance was actually used for renovations, so the interest is tax-deductible.

That said, the State Dept Federal Credit Union said they would agree to refinance our first mortgage as if we lived there, since it's our only house and we're away due to our overseas assignment in the Foreign Circus.  They don't have the best rates compared to owner-occupied, but for non-owner-occupied, they're pretty ok.

Oh, and we have an Interactive Brokers account, and are using some margin there as our other-other-emergency fund, at [pretty damn cheap - see https://interactivebrokers.com/en/accounts/fees/pricing-margin-rates.php].  Yes, I'm watching our leverage and cutting it back judiciously.
« Last Edit: March 30, 2021, 07:13:50 AM by elysianfields »

Sailor Sam

• CMTO 2023 Attendees
  • Walrus Stache
  • Semper...something
« Reply #174 on: March 30, 2021, 06:11:00 PM »

Busy making the donuts! But it’s always nice to see this thread pop up. It’s been a few quarters since I did an update, and it’s actually the end of a quarter. Fearful symmetry.

I’m sitting just under $1m in net worth, which is 128% of my lower goal, and 97% of my $1m goal. I’m also at 74.9897% of the way through unlocking my golden handcuffs.

There’s a lot to love about them, but Imma still be happy the day they fall off.

elysianfields

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #175 on: March 31, 2021, 01:20:16 AM »

DS & I a tad ahead of @Sailor Sam on the golden handcuffs thing, at 75.164% of the way there. 

As mentioned, our house isn't paid off because we can afford leverage while we're working, and the USG lets us deduct some of that interest.

No major changes from my previous update, though I did just close one airline's credit card and open a different one, giving the routings we'd typically take.

the_hobbitish

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #176 on: April 10, 2021, 03:26:40 PM »
I think this thread is the right spot for me. I knew I didn't want to work until retirement age for the government job golden handcuffs. This year I decided I wanted to push for 5 years when I'll be in my early 40s.

I've got $450k which I hope will make it to the $730-750 range by 2026. I've got a good amount of home equity which will be my move to a LCOL area mortgage free fund. My mortgage is a bit of anchor on my ability to save more than I am now. I'm musing about whether I'll want to keep working parttime past 2026 to add padding to my FIRE number.

Has anyone changed their saving/investing strategy now that 2026 is only 5years out? So far I'm maxing my TSP and IRA the way I always have, but I wonder if I there's a point where I should be doing something different to prepare for FIRE.

elysianfields

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #177 on: April 11, 2021, 12:27:49 AM »
I think this thread is the right spot for me. I knew I didn't want to work until retirement age for the government job golden handcuffs. This year I decided I wanted to push for 5 years when I'll be in my early 40s.

I've got $450k which I hope will make it to the $730-750 range by 2026. I've got a good amount of home equity which will be my move to a LCOL area mortgage free fund. My mortgage is a bit of anchor on my ability to save more than I am now. I'm musing about whether I'll want to keep working parttime past 2026 to add padding to my FIRE number.

Has anyone changed their saving/investing strategy now that 2026 is only 5years out? So far I'm maxing my TSP and IRA the way I always have, but I wonder if I there's a point where I should be doing something different to prepare for FIRE.

See @Sailor Sam @Huskerfan, I told you this was a Fed thread!

@the_hobbitish we did consider adding bonds to our portfolio, following the Early Retirement Now glidepath, but since we carry mortgages it makes no sense to add bonds.  We're all-in, 100% stocks.  Lately I have been investing more in index funds for diversification since I'm one of those Mustachian infidel stock-pickers with reasonable luck/success, especially in my Roth IRA.  I also trade options a bit for income - covered calls on plodding dividend payers.

Since I'll receive a pension in retirement, we'll face a high tax rate due to RMDs from our traditional retirement accounts.  DS & I contribute to Roth IRAs, but I'm still contributing all my TSP to traditional to keep our AGI below $160k, because with two children in college, we really like the AOTC.  We stop paying tuition in 2022, so in 2023 I'll start contributing only to Roth.  But if you're retiring before you qualify for a pension, or if you do qualify but the pension only starts paying at age 65, you won't have this "problem" and can build a long Roth conversion ladder.

The other thing to consider is life insurance, though you didn't mention any family.  Since I'm in the Foreign Circus, most traditional insurance underwriters don't want to write me a policy, because we're always moving from "dangerous" foreign location to "dangerous" foreign location.  When I started with the USG I went with FEGLI, Basic + option A + option B at 5x my salary.  Now that our college students have nearly finished and we'll start stacking more cheese in the taxable account, and given how FEGLI rates increase rapidly with age, we've decided to pare back option B 1x per year.  If, after retirement, I meet the grim reaper first, my spouse will have plenty of assets, so I'll retire with the 75% reduction of basic to keep the free life insurance after 65.

Depending on your yearly budget, I'd want to have a bigger stash than you project, but if you move from a HCOL to a LCOL, your home equity might provide that.  It also depends on whether you have a partner or family to support.

alcon835

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #178 on: April 11, 2021, 09:20:05 AM »

Good question, and my answer is...I have not started moving things into bonds. I'm actually getting more aggressive at the moment. But, our situations are pretty different. You're sitting at 60% to FIRE where I'm more like 25-30%. My inclusion in this Cohort is banking heavily on my current company's stock options paying off in the next 2 years. 

But what about when I'm a bit closer? I definitely want to have some sort of protection against down years post-FIRE, and that seems to be the goal of bonds, but I can see that protection coming from a few different options:
  • Bonds
  • CDs
  • Cut Spending
  • Grow Past the Loss
I've thought quite a bit about the above and am really interested to hear feedback on my current perspectives. Here they are:

Bonds. Advice seems to be somewhere between 10-30% in Bonds for FIRE, and the last 3-5 years before FIRE is the right time to begin moving investments in that direction. Ideally, bonds allow you to weather the storm of a couple of down years *cough2008-to-2012cough*. Seems like a fairly sound plan as long as the other 90-70% in stocks is growing solidly year-over-year to compensate for your withdraw rate during the good years.

A lot of folks have a lot of concerns about the future of the bond market - concerns I don't fully understand. If I were considering pivoting to bonds in the next few years, I would want to understand those concerns a lot better. At the moment, I think a combination of the other three hedges are more likely to benefit my family and better protect us against down years. If monetary policy changes and bonds become a better overall investment, I may change my opinion.

CDs. I got this idea from Dr. Doom a few years back and I like this strategy. Instead of relying on Bonds in a bad year, have a CD or CD ladder in place to live off of during the down years. This assumes recovery comes in a couple of years, but that is pretty realistic when I look at the last several drops in the market. 2008 meaningfully dropped in Sept 2008 and was fully recovered to those levels in Nov 2010. If I do a yearly withdraw in January, of 2008, then two CDs would have got me through the recession (2009 & 2010) without touching my stash. Even if you go back to the pre-recession peak of Oct 2007, we were recovered to those levels by Sept 2012. That's a meaningful five year stretch, for sure, but the worst of that (2008) would have been compensated by my CDs. 

CDs are probably my main plan, instead of bonds.

Cut Spending. My planned withdraw amount is ~20% higher than my expected lifestyle. I've got the added space to compensate for things like repairing the roof and traveling. But I can live the life I want, in my town, for about 80% of what I intend to withdraw. If I'm willing to cut back on eating out, buying people presents, etc. I can probably cut another 10-20% on top of that. There is a lot of decadence in my planned withdraw amount. If the CD Ladder runs out and things are still bleak, I think I can cut spending enough to compensate for the down years. 

Take into account that a multi-year recession is something that will cause most folks to tighten their belts, so the opportunities to spend money will likely be less overall and much cheaper if we do still want to participate in them.

Grow Past the Loss. This is the hardest to name, but it breaks down in two ways: (1) stock growth compensating for down years and (2) earning enough to compensate for down years.

(1) Most of the folks around here who retired after 2010 found their stash double in the last decade. Even with April 2020's 30% hit, they were still way, way ahead of where they needed to be to keep their planned withdraw rate. Most of them could have withdrawn 5-6% of their stash in April and still been under their original withdraw plan. It's bonkers how much growth there has been over the last decade. The policies and political structure that allowed such crazy growth are being double and tripled down on. Beyond that, I am not nearly as concerned with inflation as others are - I understand the logic behind why folks think it'll happen, but after looking into it, I'm convinced we should have seen it by now for the "common sense" logic to be true (but that's a conversation for a different thread!). All that to say, I think it is likely that, if I FIRE in 2026, I'll see at least a few years of significant growth post-FIRE that will help compensate for the down years.

(2) The second piece to this is really unrelated, but I still put it under the same heading: I plan to work on projects post-FIRE and I expect to earn some amount of money on some number of those projects. Writing, exploring hobbies, and maybe even some light consulting with insiders I trust and work with today. This means that some amount of my withdraw amount will be compensated by some level of earnings. Depending on how all this plays out, instead of withdrawing 4-5% a year, I may have years where I withdraw 1% or maybe even a negative withdraw rate due to adding more than I take out. No one knows what the future holds, what motivations I'll have, what opportunities will exist, etc.

These two things go together because it means a withdraw in a down year won't necessarily negatively impact my long-term FIRE strategy. Both growth from the overall market and additions I add in during up years mean I have more wiggle room come the bad years.

In Conclusion

You didn't ask for a book, but you got one. Sorry about that...but this is something I've been thinking about a lot lately. I plan to really start to solidify my strategy I'm about 3-years from fire (so 2023ish). But, being me, I think about these things a lot even now. The above is my feelings today and I expect they will change as the reality of FIRE sets in and the world changes. Hopefully it was helpful to you as you think through these things!
« Last Edit: April 11, 2021, 09:50:08 AM by alcon835 »

Huskerfan

• Stubble
« Reply #179 on: April 11, 2021, 03:36:20 PM »

I don’t go too much into the net worth calculations as everyone seems to do things a bit different with these. For example; a lot like to add their home equity into it.  I just don’t care to do that as I’m not selling my home.  It’s about 80% paid off and I’m not going anywhere even though the equity has doubled according to estimates. 

With the Gov pension, and the amount I already have in things like TSP; I am already at the point I could retire and call it good.  The extra five years or so is more in lines with practically getting a few extra grand a month and also securing kiddos future if something were to happen to me. 

I would say my goals are a bit different than blurting out a NW goal to reach as it’s complicated a bit with the pension and other factors.  But it’s also a bit easier to toss up the hands and say “I’m through” whenever I feel like it.

the_hobbitish

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #180 on: April 12, 2021, 06:36:06 AM »
I've got no partner or family to support at the moment, but I recognize that my FIRE date and number would likely change if my life shifts between now and 2026. I know my budget is set a lot lower than many on the forum, but it's what I'm living on now if you don't count my mortgage payment and savings. It's a little tighter than I'd like, but my move to a 2026 plan includes doing a little part time work in the first couple years of retirement. I guess that's more downsizing jobs that full strict retirement.

Who knows... two years from now I may end up dropping back to a later cohort, but for now the aggressive goal suits.

elysianfields

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #181 on: April 19, 2021, 12:03:44 PM »
Just checked my TSP and my returns for the last 12 months ending 03/31/2021 were 66.61%.

I'm planning my retirement strategy around that continuing indefinitely... and remaining in the 2026 FIRE Cohort.

tomorrowsomewherenew

• Stubble
« Reply #182 on: June 14, 2021, 04:38:11 PM »
A lot has happened since my last update. In August we were working on getting some side income coming in. As of now, we are seeing around $3,000 per month come into the household between both of our side jobs. My husband also still is receive around $2,000 a month from the VA. We sold our house, and he'll be starting a new job soon (or so we think--COVID has a way of making life change). We have around $840,000 in liquid assets. About $530,000 of that is in retirement accounts, $175,000 in taxable, and the remainder is cash (from the sale of our house). If and when we get to our new location we may pay cash for a house. Getting a mortgage was such a HUGE hassle last time.

My husband is still working, making around $90-$95k. I can't remember exactly. I don't know how much we've been saving each month but it has been a LOT. I suspect we'll have way more money than we'll ever need by the time 2026 rolls around, so we may end up jumping ship sooner.

Another year has gone by! We moved! (yay!) I wish I could say the new job has been good, but lets just say my husband quickly found out the reason the last person left. Yikes. Given our substantial amount of savings, he is not afraid to rock the boat in the slightest. We may end up with one of those amazing FU money stories.

We are sitting with about $1,080,000 in investments now. At the rate we're going, we'll be at $1.1M later this summer. Money is just pouring in. My husband is making a smidge less than before (about $87k, if I'm remember correctly) but is on a 9 month contract now instead of a 12 month. He is still receiving VA disability compensation of about $2k per month, but he has filed for additional compensation due to some conditions worsening (at least, I think that's what is happening). Currently, he gets 80% plus another $100 or so in special compensation. If he were to be awarded 100%, then I think we would pull the plug shortly. 100% Compensation would give him a little over $3,500 per month. From what I understand, if he were awarded permanent and total disability (which is different from just 100%) then our entire family would be awarded medical care. Obviously, medical insurance is a huge concern for all of us, and this would take a huge load off mentally speaking.

We still have our side gigs. We are bringing in $2,500-$5,000 per month, combined.

At this point, we are waiting to see what happens with the VA disability and my husband's work situation. I'd say there's a 50% chance he chooses not to return next fall, but I think it's likely he will continue working this fall. I'll give an update when we have one!

GodlessCommie

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #183 on: June 15, 2021, 09:04:29 AM »
If we don't change anything on the expense side, 2026 is our FIRE year.

Our biggest expenses, and thus opportunities to save, are all related to the fact that we are in a HCOL area. We don't need to be here anymore, strictly speaking. It's the same part of the Old Dominion where people whose paychecks are funded 100% with taxes like to live, while complaining about taxes.

I'd like to avoid these taxes just like any other guy or gal. The problem is, as we explore LCOL/low tax areas, we are finding out that our current taxes buy us a lot, directly and indirectly, and we are not willing to let go of things they buy us. All locations that are both attractive and cheaper enough to warrant a move seem to be overseas. And compared to other HCOL areas, ours is not that HCOL.

My job is boring, low stress, pays pittance by the standards of FAANG, but a lot compared to the median even in this HCOL area. People at work are nice, including my boss. So I'm kind of at crossroads, main options being

- move, FIRE soon(-er)
- stay put, coast to fatter FIRE in 2026

Sailor Sam

• CMTO 2023 Attendees
  • Walrus Stache
  • Semper...something
« Reply #184 on: June 15, 2021, 09:44:45 AM »
1. Opening net worth of $370k

2. 50% of my $750k lower bound, 37% of the $1M upper bound

Wrapping up Q1 for 2017.

1. $405,407.56 on 1-Apr

2. 54% of my $750k lower bound, and 40% of $1M upper bound

Update to close Q2 of 2017.

1. Net worth is $433,670 on 3-July

2. 57% of $750k lower bound, and 43% of $1M upper bound.

Q3 roundup:

1. Networth is $466,531 on 1-Oct.

2. 62% of $750k, and 46% of $1M.

End of Q4, and the end of 2017.

1. Networth is $496,452

2. 66% of 750k, and 49% of 1m.

End of Q1 for 2018

1. Networth is $528,029 on 20-Apr

2. That's 70% of $750k, and 53% of $1M.

End of Q2 for 2018

1. Net worth is $546,907

2. That's 73% of $750k, and 55% of $1M

End of Q3 for 2018.

1. Net worth is $558,995

2. That's 74% of $750k, and 56% of $1M

End of Q4 for 2018!

1. Networth is $522,427

2. That's 69% of $750k, and 52% of $1M

End of Q1 for 2019. Time flies.

1. Networth is $616,505

2. That's 82% of $750k, and 62% of $1m. Whoop!

End of Q2 for 2019.

1. Networth is $656,706

2. That's 88% of $750k, and 66% of $1m.

End of Q3 for 2019

1. Networth on 30-Sep was $675,812

2. That's 90% of $750k, and 67% of $1m

End of Q4 for 2019, and the end of a decade.

1. Networth is $706,933

2. That’s 94% of $750k, and 70% of $1m

Lost a bit of historical data, thanks to COVID, and related existential despair.

End of Q1 for 2020

1. Networth is $627,674

2. That's: 84% of $750k, and 63% of $1m

End of Q2 for 2020 = ??
End of Q3 for 2020 = ??
End Q4 for 2020 = ??

End of Q1 for 2021

1. Networth is $969,034

2. That's 129% of $750k, and 97% of $1m.

End of Q2 for 2021

1. Networth is 1,042,451

2. That's bingo.

LinneaH

• Bristles
« Reply #185 on: June 15, 2021, 03:01:16 PM »

End of Q2 for 2021

1. Networth is 1,042,451

2. That's bingo.

Are you "done" now Sailor Sam? But you still have to wait regarding the "golden handcuffs"? Will they be on until 2026? No way to get them off earlier?

Nutty

• Stubble
  • Late but haven't missed the train.
« Reply #186 on: July 01, 2021, 07:01:31 AM »
I'm committable.  11 June 2026.  there I said it.  5 long years.

Good information here.  I was contemplating moving into bonds.  After all the talk with financial advisors who strongly suggest it and want me to hire them as the planners, I'm still strongly in stocks with index funds getting the majority of the new investments with no financial planner hired.  I'll guess most here are do-it-yourself.  Or control freaks.  I'm good with either.  The best argument to hire a planner is to assist Lady in case of my demise.  Still considering.

I'll be 56 and my dear, beloved Lady will be 61 and that much closer to Medicare.  In truth, we could cut today.  In actuality, health costs are in flux and will always be in flux and our needs will increase.  I'm sorely tempted.  The kids are getting settled, so I can wait.  Make plans.  Scheme.  Truth be told, I have nothing pressing me.  Work is tolerable, if not challenging.

Thanks to all for the encouragement.  Original goal was 50 and I missed that because of life, college and kids.  No regrets.  I have a plan.  The comment that RE is before 60 tickles me.  I'll make it.

tomorrowsomewherenew

• Stubble
« Reply #187 on: July 01, 2021, 09:15:11 AM »
I'm committable.  11 June 2026.  there I said it.  5 long years.

Good information here.  I was contemplating moving into bonds.  After all the talk with financial advisors who strongly suggest it and want me to hire them as the planners, I'm still strongly in stocks with index funds getting the majority of the new investments with no financial planner hired.  I'll guess most here are do-it-yourself.  Or control freaks.  I'm good with either.  The best argument to hire a planner is to assist Lady in case of my demise.  Still considering.

I'll be 56 and my dear, beloved Lady will be 61 and that much closer to Medicare.  In truth, we could cut today.  In actuality, health costs are in flux and will always be in flux and our needs will increase.  I'm sorely tempted.  The kids are getting settled, so I can wait.  Make plans.  Scheme.  Truth be told, I have nothing pressing me.  Work is tolerable, if not challenging.

Thanks to all for the encouragement.  Original goal was 50 and I missed that because of life, college and kids.  No regrets.  I have a plan.  The comment that RE is before 60 tickles me.  I'll make it.

I like hearing from older people in this group. Many times, I feel like us young ones (like me) are overly optimistic about our expenses and how life is going to go for us. Plenty of people on this board would tell me it's time and we have enough. And I think there's a good chance they are correct. However, I'm not willing to risk it just yet. We have a lot up in the air right now, and maybe next year is our year. And maybe it's not. So, I'm planning on 2026 as my worst-case-scenario, which is not bad at all. I will be 40.

I went back to work last week, after 8 years at home. It has been incredibly challenging emotionally. I'm sticking it out for now, because I feel odds are high I've got a bad case of return-to-work syndrome...almost like a super-late return from maternity leave. I've been horribly depressed for week, but I figure if I'm still that way in a month then I can always quit. I've been working in the office for now, but they understand I need to be at home/remote when school starts again in the fall. 

Nutty

• Stubble
« Reply #188 on: July 01, 2021, 09:48:46 AM »
I like hearing from older people in this group. Many times, I feel like us young ones (like me) are overly optimistic about our expenses and how life is going to go for us. Plenty of people on this board would tell me it's time and we have enough. And I think there's a good chance they are correct. However, I'm not willing to risk it just yet. We have a lot up in the air right now, and maybe next year is our year. And maybe it's not. So, I'm planning on 2026 as my worst-case-scenario, which is not bad at all. I will be 40.

I went back to work last week, after 8 years at home. It has been incredibly challenging emotionally. I'm sticking it out for now, because I feel odds are high I've got a bad case of return-to-work syndrome...almost like a super-late return from maternity leave. I've been horribly depressed for week, but I figure if I'm still that way in a month then I can always quit. I've been working in the office for now, but they understand I need to be at home/remote when school starts again in the fall.
Everyone chooses their own path.  I sat around wondering how everyone else was making it.  Then I found out they made more than me and I got a better paying, easier job.  Should have done this MUCH sooner.  It's true that you must negotiate.  I was offered a 20% raise to stay.  The offer was 25% + bonus + better health, matching, stock purchase.  No competition and I'd mentally left because of the time suck.  I like to think I left a vacuum.  They have turned over staff a LOT since I left.  Good people and I wish them well.

I'm glad you have the option of working or not.  Try it, you might like it.  If you don't, try something else.  Good luck with the depression.  I was burnt out when I left the previous job and went into a tailspin after I left.  Set goals.  Keep focus.  Breathe.  Smell the flowers and hug.  Hug the family the mostest.  Other selected individuals as deemed worthy.

I've got the most free time since college and that makes me want more.  Retirement = freedom. 

In truth, I'm looking forward to more grandkids, but not rushing anyone here.  That will be the deciding factor on where (maybe when) things get settled.  DD#1 starts graduate school in the fall and is deciding on when to kid.  DD#2 has selected cats.  We'll visit her.  Short visits as I'm allergic.

Sailor Sam

• CMTO 2023 Attendees
  • Walrus Stache
  • Semper...something
« Reply #189 on: July 01, 2021, 01:29:54 PM »

End of Q2 for 2021

1. Networth is 1,042,451

2. That's bingo.

Are you "done" now Sailor Sam? But you still have to wait regarding the "golden handcuffs"? Will they be on until 2026? No way to get them off earlier?

I have a 20 year cliff vest that will get me a pension and very low cost healthcare. So I’m sticking around. But it certainly is nice to see that number!

alcon835

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #190 on: July 01, 2021, 01:36:07 PM »
I should still be on track for 2026. I'm 27% to full FIRE and 34% to my minimum. A bit lower than most of the other folks here, but I'm contributing a significant amount toward FIRE and I have a few big bets I'm expecting to pay off.

Should because one of those bets is my current company. I have a significant number of vested options and was just gifted another big chunk. My original timeline for a buyout was 2022 (which would have put me extremely close to FIRE), but with all the insane valuations companies are getting from IPOs, my leadership is abandoning the buyout plan and moving towards an IPO or SPAC - which probably adds at least another year or two to my original plan.

That timeline isn't terrible or anything, but my job is pretty demanding and I'm not sure I want to live this lifestyle for that long. I also have noticed some leadership issues recently. We're growing insanely fast and it doesn't seem like the folks in place now are the right ones to get us to the next level. Nothing critical or toxic at this point, but it has me considering looking around a bit at other opportunities. 2 years in and this is the first time I've considered not sticking with the company through the eventual buyout/IPO.

Hoping this is just a low period and it'll all be just a fuzzy memory soon.

Huskerfan

• Stubble
« Reply #191 on: July 05, 2021, 04:20:10 PM »
Just checked my TSP and my returns for the last 12 months ending 03/31/2021 were 66.61%.

I'm planning my retirement strategy around that continuing indefinitely... and remaining in the 2026 FIRE Cohort.

I’m not entirely sure you are going to be able to sustain 66% in gains on an annual basis.  My strategy has done well for me over the past few year.  I just don’t think it is sustainable. 

elysianfields

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #192 on: July 05, 2021, 09:11:05 PM »

I’m not entirely sure you are going to be able to sustain 66% in gains on an annual basis.  My strategy has done well for me over the past few year.  I just don’t think it is sustainable.

Great to see some activity in this thread!

@Huskerfan I was being ironical, which is why I said I was remaining in the 2026 cohort.  If I could maintain 66.61% annual returns going forward, I'd retire today!  But something closer to 6.6% seems much more realistic, if even that, given current valuations.

@tomorrowsomewherenew keep your chin up!  Focus on the benefits you seek from returning to work - you didn't go back to feel depressed, after all.

@Sailor Sam Congratulations on reaching your number(s) as we both count down.

@alcon835 Having the IPO/SPAC push your date back would make me impatient as well, especially if the work tempo hasn't relented.

@Nutty Congratulations on your better-paying job!

In my own case, I cannot currently take leave due to a personnel gap.  Work is piling up and I'm feeling the stress.  The prognosis for even temporary help isn't good until October or so.  Because I'm working late, I'm accumulating lots of comp time in addition to my already excessive paid leave.  My supervisor suggested planning my extra hours in advance to be paid OT and keep time from building up.  If I earn OT, it would be at my current hourly rate, I wouldn't qualify for a higher rate because I work for the USG, but that would be better than accumulating additional hours of comp time that I cannot take.

Our portfolios continue to do well, we're well ahead of our number, but continue to max our retirement contributions.  We could probably retire now, and like Sailor Sam and Huskerfan we are waiting to pass a magic date in 2026 that will provide a pension and (relatively) inexpensive health care.
« Last Edit: July 05, 2021, 10:43:50 PM by elysianfields »

Nutty

• Stubble
« Reply #193 on: July 06, 2021, 07:40:58 AM »
Thank you, @elysianfields !  I'm tickled to be here.

Ah, yes.  The health care plan.  The more I dig into it, the more the "we don't know what they are going to legislate" answer upsets me.  As the Magic Eight Ball says, "ask again later."

I've narrowed the what are we going to do next down to three options:
1. Follow DD#1 and play nanny.  This appears to be winning, but she's heading back to grad school and doesn't have long term job.  Yet.
2. Go to my brother's farm and play with furry and feathered things. 
3. Go to wife's family area and find something to do. 

At least I'm getting Lady thinking about long term options.  5 years is going quick.

I thought I wanted to travel and have discovered that Lady isn't easy to travel with.  This could change, but dogs and luggage. 

elysianfields

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #194 on: July 06, 2021, 11:52:30 AM »
Thank you, @elysianfields !  I'm tickled to be here.

Ah, yes.  The health care plan.  The more I dig into it, the more the "we don't know what they are going to legislate" answer upsets me.  As the Magic Eight Ball says, "ask again later."

You can lobby your Congresscritter and get involved in the political process, help get someone elected who supports your views, join AARP.  Or just not worry about what you can only influence and not control.

I selected an employer who will continue our healthcare plan choices in retirement, for a relatively inexpensive price, but it's not for everyone.

At least I'm getting Lady thinking about long term options.  5 years is going quick.

I thought I wanted to travel and have discovered that Lady isn't easy to travel with.  This could change, but dogs and luggage. 

I attended a week-long retirement seminar through my employer (I work for the US Department of State in the Foreign Service) and realized it's important to retire to something.  The seminar covered finances and taxes and pensions and Social Security, oh my, but it also covered things like health (keep exercising, don't just pig out & sit on the couch) and relationships (your relationship / marriage / partnership may need renegotiating).

Traveling with pets in the Foreign Service is expensive and exhausting, I don't think I'd choose to do it in retirement unless it came with me in a camper van on a road trip.

Nutty

• Stubble
« Reply #195 on: July 06, 2021, 12:28:19 PM »
You can lobby your Congresscritter and get involved in the political process, help get someone elected who supports your views, join AARP.  Or just not worry about what you can only influence and not control.

I selected an employer who will continue our healthcare plan choices in retirement, for a relatively inexpensive price, but it's not for everyone.
Dad & brother went career and they are taken care of.  I went civilian and have different issues.  Seems I have issues with congresscritters.  Work coverage goes to cobra at the end of full time employment, so we will find something.  Lady is older, so one option to to wait until she is covered and then me bail.  I'll bridge the gap out of pocket, but sooner is always better.

I attended a week-long retirement seminar through my employer (I work for the US Department of State in the Foreign Service) and realized it's important to retire to something.  The seminar covered finances and taxes and pensions and Social Security, oh my, but it also covered things like health (keep exercising, don't just pig out & sit on the couch) and relationships (your relationship / marriage / partnership may need renegotiating).
Yep.  I'm watching tube and all the free stuff through fidelity and learning things that I never wanted to know.  That is why I'm negotiating with her now.  Putting the bug in her ear and letting it develop.  Will be interesting to see where we go and how we get there.  At least we are talking. 

Boss is retiring to the beach.  Boats, sand and fishing.  I've played with boats but they aren't a passion.  Nothing is speaking to me and that is why I'm still looking for an answer.  I'll try several things, I'm sure.  Still looking for answers, but playing farmer is new, at the moment.  I'm doing this in my free time and have already discovered that you don't get rich.  It's a labor of love.

elysianfields

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #196 on: July 07, 2021, 05:03:06 AM »

Dad & brother went career and they are taken care of.  I went civilian and have different issues.  Seems I have issues with congresscritters.  Work coverage goes to cobra at the end of full time employment, so we will find something.  Lady is older, so one option to to wait until she is covered and then me bail.  I'll bridge the gap out of pocket, but sooner is always better.

Indeed, thank your lucky stars that you have options!  I'm serving in Africa right now, and one measure of how developed a country is how they treat their disabled, mentally ill, and animals.  Where I live now treatment of those groups leaves much to be desired...

Yep.  I'm watching tube and all the free stuff through fidelity and learning things that I never wanted to know.  That is why I'm negotiating with her now.  Putting the bug in her ear and letting it develop.  Will be interesting to see where we go and how we get there.  At least we are talking. 

Boss is retiring to the beach.  Boats, sand and fishing.  I've played with boats but they aren't a passion.  Nothing is speaking to me and that is why I'm still looking for an answer.  I'll try several things, I'm sure.  Still looking for answers, but playing farmer is new, at the moment.  I'm doing this in my free time and have already discovered that you don't get rich.  It's a labor of love.

Great that you're discussing this ahead of time, and my own DW and I love (mostly vegetable) gardening as well.  The payoff is in the home-grown tomatoes and baby kale that actually have taste.  Well, plus the additions to the soil through composting...

Where we haven't reached agreement is *where* to retire.  But as you say, we're talking, and we mostly share values.  And we still have some time to negotiate that.  And whatever decision we make is not necessarily a definitive one.

Nutty

• Stubble
« Reply #197 on: July 07, 2021, 06:57:56 AM »
Great that you're discussing this ahead of time, and my own DW and I love (mostly vegetable) gardening as well.  The payoff is in the home-grown tomatoes and baby kale that actually have taste.  Well, plus the additions to the soil through composting...

Where we haven't reached agreement is *where* to retire.  But as you say, we're talking, and we mostly share values.  And we still have some time to negotiate that.  And whatever decision we make is not necessarily a definitive one.
Gardening started me on chickens which helped the garden.  Making the blackest compost now with chicken poop, shredded yard waste and kitchen scraps.  Due to life, garden got neglected this year and I focused on the chickens.  The two are very complementary.  I'm amazed.  I also like feeding the chickens the worms that eat my kale, but that is a side benefit.  No likes it when I refer to the eggs as worm fed or worm boosted.  LOL

Yes, negotiation is critical.  Before it was, I'm moving here for work.  Are you coming?  Being a military brat, I'm accustomed to moving.  Lady has lived in 3 cities and settled down.  I get the itch to move every 4 years still.  Home is where your heart is and anyplace can be a home.

Question for the cohort:  What are your plans after FIRE?

I've heard travel is a big one, if you didn't travel with work.  Family is always appealing, if you get along with them.  I'm floundering because I've lost my passions.  I'll blame work, but that is only part of it.  I've tried several things and moved on.  The people who are hyper focused amaze me.  BIL is doing the triathlete thing in his 50s.  I'm not that motivated, but respect his dedication.  In short, I like the early game. 

I am reading the journals.  Interesting ideas and a bit of dirty laundry.  Glad this forum is open for discussion.

Sailor Sam

• CMTO 2023 Attendees
  • Walrus Stache
  • Semper...something
« Reply #198 on: July 07, 2021, 08:39:40 AM »

I might to back to the tall ships that I cut my teeth on as a kid, but I might be too institutionalized to revert back to dirty schooner rat. I like the idea of van living, for a few years. But overall, I intend to spend a lot of time fucking around with my rifle, my pony, and me. Except the rifle is a violin, the pony is a small fleet of lap dogs, and me is, uh, me.

GodlessCommie

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #199 on: July 07, 2021, 09:50:40 AM »

This is the biggest damn question. Travel for sure. Books. Exercise. Hikes. Stay involved with the community - maybe find something I enjoy more, as opposed to what I feel obligated doing. But mostly I hope that a year or so will clear my mind, and something will pop up.