Author Topic: 2025 Fire Cohort  (Read 204564 times)

Icecreamarsenal

• Pencil Stache
  • Burnt
2025 Fire Cohort
« on: January 28, 2016, 01:01:36 PM »
I did not find the 2025 Fire Cohort, so as per our friendly mod's direction, I've made a 2025 Fire cohort thread.

http://www.timeanddate.com/countdown/generic?iso=20250705T08&p0=179&msg=F.I.%2FR.E.&ud=1&font=sanserif

Just 492 weeks left.  2025 is a nice round number.

tj

• Handlebar Stache
Re: 2025 Fire Cohort
« Reply #1 on: January 31, 2016, 08:23:49 PM »
I'm also shooting for 2025, the year I turn 40.

golfreak12

• Bristles
« Reply #2 on: February 02, 2016, 12:59:29 AM »
Yup. Our goal is in 10 yrs. 2015.

Bbbent

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #3 on: February 02, 2016, 08:04:31 AM »
This my goal as well.  Not to many of us on this thread though :)

In 2025 I'll be 61.  The last of my five daughers will be into college.  Not sure what my wife is going to be doing at that point (she's a high school teacher, but thinking about a career change). 

At that point we should be set enough to sell the house and go motorcycle riding for a few years (that's our thing...)  then come back and start the little part-time motorcycle coffee  shop I've been thinking about for years.  Although plans are subject to change, right?

druth

• Bristles
« Reply #4 on: February 03, 2016, 11:23:16 AM »
My goal is 2025 or there-abouts, but I waffle.  2025 is a do-able number but I'm trying to shoot for earlier, possibly by going semi-retired for longer. We'll see how long I can hold out for. :)

Fastfwd

• Stubble
« Reply #5 on: February 04, 2016, 06:50:27 AM »
My goal too which would make me FI at 50. I just went through a divorce and my work situation has been less than stable for the past few years so 2025 is my optimistic date. Without good FI habits divorce and work situation would have been much larger issues in my life.

KMMK

• Handlebar Stache
    • Meena Kestirke Insurance
« Reply #6 on: February 04, 2016, 08:03:52 AM »
Posting to follow. I'll add more to this later.

messymoneymay

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #7 on: February 05, 2016, 05:31:29 PM »
Posting to follow. My FI date is set to Feb 2025 (the earliest date I can receive retirement benefits from my employer) but hoping I am being too conservative and can move that up by a few years. I have my countdown spreadsheet set up - counting down calendar days and working days, the amount of salary I will earn over that time and a bunch of other crazy calculations I make up when work makes me crazy.  Cheers everyone!

Need2Save

• Bristles
« Reply #8 on: February 11, 2016, 12:35:29 PM »
I am holding firm that we are in the 2025 Cohort. I like that from this point forward that is technically under 10 years.  Doesn't that sound awesome?
Mr. CB thinks more like 2026 or 2027 but we are pretty motivated at the moment and have been for a few years.  I'm optimistic it will happen.

Assuming all goes well here are our highlights:
1. In 2021, we'll pay off mortgage (just a little over 5 years from now).  Along the way, continue to max out pretax retirement accounts annually and also funnel extra $ to post tax savings and investments.
2. Then, with mortgage paid off, we'll redirect all those extra funds to building a liquid buffer to live off of until we turn age 60 or slightly older.  There may also be some real-estate/rentals involved here. Possibly sell current house to downsize and free up additional funds but this is not necessary for our plan and will depend on job situation at the time.
3. Age 52/year 2025 FIRE!!!  Man that sounds good!
4. Age 60 is when we think we'll be ready to start with 4%SWR, so while we are living off our saved up funds before age 60, the retirement accounts will hopefully mature upwards.
5. SS?? Who knows.  We'll see but hopefully that will play into reducing #4 above.

We are a little older than some here, so our 'early' retirement is not all that early. In 2025 we will both be 52.  We still consider ourselves 'early' since at both our companies it is absolutely unheard of to retire before age 65.  Many people stick around to well into their 70's!  However, we do have 2 rather costly kids - those little buggers - and we are fully committed to paying for undergraduate education for both.  We support the view that not everyone is college-bound, but both of our sons are and we think they will be successfull in life and we appreciate being able to provide this start for them.  Graduate school options will be self-funded by them if it gets to that. We'll see how it goes.   We have one who is already very Mustachian naturally so we hope he rubs off a little on the younger one. 

Glad to be part of the 2025 Cohort! 

hm13hm13

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #9 on: February 11, 2016, 12:40:14 PM »
I'd love to be part of this cohort. I'm curious where everyone is sitting right now financially?

tj

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #10 on: February 11, 2016, 01:24:56 PM »
I'd love to be part of this cohort. I'm curious where everyone is sitting right now financially?

I have roughly 10x current annual expenses...might be a bit less than that with recent market movement. Goal is 25x. Not sure if I'll get there by 40, but it's a nice enough goal.

Fastfwd

• Stubble
« Reply #11 on: February 11, 2016, 01:58:05 PM »
I have 8x annual expenses + paid for house

Expenses should go down by almost 25% when the kids are on their own which happens to be around 10 years from now. I also plan to eventually sell the house and live somewhere more minimalistic and not just for financial reasons.

Need2Save

• Bristles
« Reply #12 on: February 11, 2016, 02:58:34 PM »
We currently have between 10 and 11x of our estimated annual expenses in Retirement Savings (i'm not looking at our balances, I'm not looking, I'm not looking....Last August I could've say 12x :-( )  However, the vast majority of our savings is in pretax so for the next 9 years (although still contributing pretax to the max) we are focusing on building the post tax bucket up as we need this to bridge the gap years post FIRE.  I just want to also say that on any given day our 'estimated annual expenses' could fluctuate by almost $10k - we keep going back and forth on how much we need to be able to travel as much as we hope to.   It's hard to estimate how much one needs ten-fifteen years in the future for travelling when you have no idea what inflation will be like in the U.S. or Internationally.    As we get nearer to FIRE, we hope to sprinkle in some big trips while we are still working that will help us refine our financial spending goals. 

CB

Icecreamarsenal

• Pencil Stache
  • Burnt
« Reply #13 on: February 11, 2016, 03:01:50 PM »
Wow great job people! I haven't yet sat down to calculate out expense multiple, but a rough estimate would be 8x annual. Exciting!

KMMK

• Handlebar Stache
    • Meena Kestirke Insurance
« Reply #14 on: February 11, 2016, 08:12:22 PM »
I have about 8-9X annual expenses, or about 28% of my final goal.

chasingthegoodlife

• Bristles
« Reply #15 on: March 03, 2016, 04:17:17 AM »
2025 is my rough goal too, although I'm hopeful I'll get there earlier. 

I currently have 14x my bare bones number but will probably increase the goal as I get closer and have a more realistic idea of my spending.

Good luck everyone!

CupcakeGuru

• Stubble
« Reply #16 on: March 24, 2016, 05:40:17 AM »
Posting to follow.

afuera

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #17 on: March 28, 2016, 03:10:01 PM »
Hello everybody!
My goal is to retire by 2025, just before my 35th birthday.  This is a conservative estimate based on our current savings percentage but hopefully my husband and I will get more badass as we continue on our FIRE journey and retire earlier.

Professor Ecks

• Stubble
    • My Journal
« Reply #18 on: March 29, 2016, 08:29:17 AM »
I'm in.

2Birds1Stone

• Walrus Stache
  • K Thnx Bye
« Reply #19 on: March 29, 2016, 08:50:04 AM »
I originally thought I would fire on $18-24k a year but after much thought and so many unknowns it is much more likely that my spending will be more along the lines of $24-30k/yr.

2025 would put me at 38 years old, definitely a feasible goal.

Currently have ~5x annual expenses saved.

G42

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
  • Late to the 'stache party, but on my way!
« Reply #20 on: May 08, 2016, 08:20:19 PM »
I'm on the older side of this crowd, currently 45 - hoping to be FI at 55 in 2025... right now I have 14x in pre-tax pension/401k...
After I pay off my current PunchMeInTheFace stupid debt, I'll be able to put away 50%+ of my take home, mostly post tax, so I can get some Vanguard funds going...
I was late to the MMM epiphany, but FI at 55 is better than my previous fear of NEVER being able to retire!

yourusernamehere

• Stubble
« Reply #21 on: May 11, 2016, 06:59:41 PM »
Hoping we're FIRE in 2025! I expect we'll at least be FI. I'll be 42, DH will be 54. Im so thankful for the mmm community- even after less than 2 years of reading this site and the forums, I feel like so many options have opened up to me. I'm vastly more in control of my finances than ever before, and that has given me a power and confidence at work that's had a tangible impact on my career. I'm better at my job because I have the power to say no, and it's amazing.

geekinprogress

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #22 on: May 11, 2016, 08:01:36 PM »
I don't have a precise goal, but 2025 is such a nice round number, and it should be a very achievable goal for me :)  I'm currently at ~6x expenses plus a mostly paid condo and some stock appreciation rights at work. 

wienerdog

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #23 on: May 11, 2016, 08:07:03 PM »
My story is very similar to G42.  I am shooting for 2025.  I lost my job last year around this time that came at a big surprise at 45 years old. I left a decent job thinking this one would be more of a permanent solution but it only lasted 3.5 years.  That really woke me up and made me see that I have to look out for myself.   I started looking at budgets and needed to trim as much as I could until I could get another job.  I stumbled across MMM and was surprised at the FI numbers.  Honestly I didn't really believe it at first.  I too thought I would be working for a long long time yet.  No debt besides mortgage but I wasn't saving like I should have been.  I really just needed a kick in the pants and luckily the job loss gave me just that. 

MMM showed me the numbers to see that it is possible!  I started on my journey last June 1st of 15' with ~2.5 times expenses saved and a new job.  Now at the beginning of May of this year I am a little past 4 times expenses.   My expenses include mortgage as I hope to also carry that for 5 years in FI in which it will be paid off in June 2030.  That will drop expenses 30% which should help. 

I figure worse case if market dives for a long period of time or I loose my job again I will stick it out 5 more years and move FI to 2030 but 2025 for sure is the goal!  With a little tweaking here and there over the past year I am on track this year to be saving around 55% to 60% (currently at 57% 4 months in) of take home pay which doesn't include mortgage principal as I plan to keep the house in FI and don't consider it an income source.

ardrum

• Stubble
« Reply #24 on: May 15, 2016, 07:13:00 PM »
I'm only at about 1x multiple right now, but my SR is borderline 70% so I just need to keep that up.

EmpireOfDirt

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #25 on: May 17, 2016, 10:14:03 AM »
posting to follow

Icecreamarsenal

• Pencil Stache
  • Burnt
« Reply #26 on: May 17, 2016, 10:23:41 AM »
Please don't forget asset protection, all. Divorce, lawsuits, natural disasters are all big destroyers of wealth. I'm not an insurance salesperson, just speaking anecdotally. Myself and 2 acquaintances have recently been exposed to one of the three mentioned above, all different.
The slow accumulation of FI percentages can be felled in one swoop, bringing you back down to 0 or negative.
The tone of this post may be more grizzled and bogleheady as opposed to the generally upbeat mmm tone, but I figured I'd remind everyone in our cohort to PROTECT your STACHE.

druth

• Bristles
« Reply #27 on: May 17, 2016, 01:10:27 PM »
Please don't forget asset protection, all. Divorce, lawsuits, natural disasters are all big destroyers of wealth. I'm not an insurance salesperson, just speaking anecdotally. Myself and 2 acquaintances have recently been exposed to one of the three mentioned above, all different.
The slow accumulation of FI percentages can be felled in one swoop, bringing you back down to 0 or negative.
The tone of this post may be more grizzled and bogleheady as opposed to the generally upbeat mmm tone, but I figured I'd remind everyone in our cohort to PROTECT your STACHE.

I don't think anybody is saying "2025 come hell or high water"  Obviously if circumstances change, your plan will change.

chasingthegoodlife

• Bristles
« Reply #28 on: May 17, 2016, 02:17:03 PM »
IA, good advice of course but we can only do so much to guard against the worst case scenarios without letting them be the focus of our life.

If I split from my partner it will definitely take me longer to reach fire, but I would rather take that road than stay in an unhappy relationship (luckily we are very happy right now).

Short of carrying adequate insurance, maintaining your property well, staying on the same page as your spouse about money and not doing anything dodgy likely to get you sued, what  kind of protections would you suggest?

(As I was writing this I starting thinking that what might derail a lot of people in these times of adversity is the mental impact of the event - I would be covered financially if my house burnt down in a bush fire but things like counselling, extended time off work, and lack of motivation to work towards my goals while I was dealing with the potential depression and grief could have a big impact too. We would should all work on building inner resilience and strong relationships with others to get us through future tough times, I think!)

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

AusLady

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #29 on: June 01, 2016, 07:52:01 PM »
I'm in too.  I'm 37 and have half an Australian mortgage to go.  I'm currently putting 65% of after tax earnings towards it, and once that is done, my plan is to keep saving 65% into Index funds until I'm FI.  I have a long term dream of working 3 months of the year, spending 3 months of the year travelling domestically visiting friends and family, and the remaining 6 months of the year split between enjoying the beach and yoga where I live,  and travelling overseas.
My main goal presently is to enjoy life during this phase, to find a healthy balance of saving for FI versus spending on things (mindfully!), and to not obsess over being not-yet-FI.

yourusernamehere

• Stubble
« Reply #30 on: June 02, 2016, 05:28:24 AM »
I'm in too.  I'm 37 and have half an Australian mortgage to go.  I'm currently putting 65% of after tax earnings towards it, and once that is done, my plan is to keep saving 65% into Index funds until I'm FI.  I have a long term dream of working 3 months of the year, spending 3 months of the year travelling domestically visiting friends and family, and the remaining 6 months of the year split between enjoying the beach and yoga where I live,  and travelling overseas.
My main goal presently is to enjoy life during this phase, to find a healthy balance of saving for FI versus spending on things (mindfully!), and to not obsess over being not-yet-FI.

Very well stated! I need to work on thinking of the present and enjoying it, more than waiting for the work to be over.

frugalecon

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #31 on: June 02, 2016, 07:31:37 AM »
Decided yesterday that 2025 is the magic year...spouse and I can both hang it up then, barring something unexpected. Now we just have to keep executing against the plan. Given that almost everything is automated, it is a bit like a machine that keeps churning away.

oneday

• CMTO 2023 Attendees
  • Walrus Stache
  • only good pies and no bad pies -mspym
« Reply #32 on: June 04, 2016, 12:27:02 AM »
2025 is our stretch goal.  Currently have 3.3x spending in pre- & post-tax savings accounts, but will also get a substantial pension when Mr. O retires.  So yeah, it's a stretch, but I would love to retire with you all!!!

Slee_stack

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #33 on: June 05, 2016, 08:30:40 AM »
Currently at 12X including current mortgage.  Excluding mortgage (13yr remaining), sitting about 20X.  If we quit today, we would sell the house immediately and jump to a LCOL area and likely be back at 20X.

The lynch pin for us however is a pension vesting date that will effectively cover all our current expenses.  2025 is that year!  At that point the Stash will just be financial certainty / funny money.  Any social security 7-10 years later will add more of the same.

Its actually been a tough decision for us because we could probably RE within the next couple years if not today, but we would lose that huge pension and health insurance windfall that essentially doubles or more our current wealth.

Do we need the extra cash?  Almost certainly, no. 

However, intriguing possibilities open up with such a ridiculous excess of wealth.  Making the world better in some small way sounds incredibly rewarding and the possibility of being 'small-time' philanthropists sounds like a very appealing way to spend  some of our retirement time.

druth

• Bristles
« Reply #34 on: June 06, 2016, 08:34:32 AM »
Do we need the extra cash?  Almost certainly, no. 

However, intriguing possibilities open up with such a ridiculous excess of wealth.  Making the world better in some small way sounds incredibly rewarding and the possibility of being 'small-time' philanthropists sounds like a very appealing way to spend  some of our retirement time.

I wouldn't sacrifice 9 years for more financial stability, but if you really enjoy your job then maybe it's the right choice.

Intriguing possibilities also open up with such a rediculous excess of free time that you will get from retiring 9 years earlier!

Slee_stack

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #35 on: June 07, 2016, 08:15:44 PM »
I wouldn't sacrifice 9 years for more financial stability, but if you really enjoy your job then maybe it's the right choice.

Intriguing possibilities also open up with such a rediculous excess of free time that you will get from retiring 9 years earlier!
Absolutely valid.

We reserve the right to change our mind and retire earlier.

As with many, the careers are satisfying, but the mandatory hours are the put off.

Gondolin

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #36 on: June 08, 2016, 07:16:23 AM »
So jealous of all the pensions...

Anywho, I'm shooting for 2025 at which time I'll be 35. Currently have x3-4 annual expense plus SO has x1-2 more. It's a good start but, lots of uncertainty in the future. 2035 might be a stretch but, gotta aim high!

2Birds1Stone

• Walrus Stache
  • K Thnx Bye
« Reply #37 on: June 08, 2016, 08:27:12 AM »
I originally thought I would fire on $18-24k a year but after much thought and so many unknowns it is much more likely that my spending will be more along the lines of $24-30k/yr.

Just cracked 7x annual expenses today!

yourusernamehere

• Stubble
« Reply #38 on: June 08, 2016, 11:43:00 AM »

Excellent! I hadn't thought of our savings that way until this thread. I guess we're at 9.5 times annual spending! And that's assuming a mortgage. Pretty exciting!

oneday

• CMTO 2023 Attendees
  • Walrus Stache
  • only good pies and no bad pies -mspym
« Reply #39 on: June 08, 2016, 01:30:34 PM »

Wow, that was fast!  I have just started looking into all the nitty-gritty details of our numbers.  I think I may track this way; it may make more sense to Mr. O who is not into the numbers but is willing to go to great lengths to stop working!  Thanks for the idea.

Need2Save

• Bristles
« Reply #40 on: June 11, 2016, 05:23:35 PM »
MR.CB is off today spending time with his buddies (long overdue, bless him - I hope he's having a good time).  I decided to use the time today to do a social security income projection. I've been meaning to do it for a while now.  Using the Retirement Benefit Estimator on the SSA site, I was pleased that it allows you to plug in an earlier retire date to essentially plug in zeros from that age until you start pulling SS.  However, the only SS retirement option it shows you is to start collecting at age 62.   I guess they figure early retirees are more likely to claim at age 62?  Anyway it does provide a good enough comparison. The difference between stopping to work at age 52 and continuing to work until age 62 and collecting SS at that time results in only $237 per month difference for Mr.CB and only a $280 per month difference for me.  My difference is sightly bigger because I was a SAHM for several years (with zero income) and worked part-time for about 5 years (making my earnings much lower during those years).  We now both exceed the SS income tax threshold every year, so I assumed we'd max out at the current limit of $118,500 for the next 9 years.  I know it may be indexed up, but probably not a huge amount annually and this was a projection only. 

The excercise confirmed for me with our actual personal income history what I've read about.  During the bridge years of ER, little or no earnings will not have a terrible big effect on future SS potential.  Since we both started our working lives at age 15, we both will have a minimum of 35 earning years by 2025! (me just hitting 35 actually).  Another good reason why 2025 should be our last 'working' year unless we choose to!  I also realized today that the small monthly pension I will get from a former employer about bridges the monthly gap between my SS income and Mr.CB's SS income, assuming we kick start both the pension and SS around the same age.  This smoothes out the years I didn't work at all or worked part-time with less income.   We have many years to decide the best strategy with both the pension and SS but it was nice to figure this out. 

In other good news, with the market increases over the last couple months, we now are around 13.5X annual spending in retirement savings!  How is everyone else doing?  Have you seen a big improvement since January? 

marty998

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #41 on: June 11, 2016, 05:36:28 PM »
I can't remember which year I have posted in probably all of them by now haha... but I seem to be around where you guys are - 8x annual spend based on net investment assets that are accessible (non-retirement investments).

Good luck everyone.

ardrum

• Stubble
« Reply #42 on: June 16, 2016, 07:22:44 AM »
Here are my "multiples of annual cost of living" stache goals for each year for me. The idea is to reach that multiplier value as a goal by the end of the given year.  My goal is to reach FI sometime in 2025, even if that means Dec 31.

2016: 1.99x
2017: 4.07x
2018: 6.27x
2019: 8.57x
2020: 10.98x
2021: 13.52x
2022: 16.18x
2023: 18.98x
2024: 21.92x
2025: 25x

bryan995

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #43 on: June 16, 2016, 11:34:24 AM »
My wife and I are also in the 2025 cohort, we will both be 40 yrs old.

Right now we live on ~36k, but we are considering planning for a 48k or even 64k retirement income...
(buffer room for some serious traveling!)

@36k spending w/ 5% income growth (though I assume we can do much better than 5% income growth!)

2016: 6.5000x
2017: 10.0000x
2018: 13.6750x
2019: 17.5338x
2020: 21.5854x
2021: 25.8397x
2022: 30.3067x
2023: 34.9970x
2024: 39.9219x
2025: 45.0930x

@ 64k spending w/ 5% income growth

2016: 3.6563x
2017: 5.6250x
2018: 7.6922x
2019: 9.8627x
2020: 12.1418x
2021: 14.5348x
2022: 17.0475x
2023: 19.6858x
2024: 22.4561x
2025: 25.3648x

oldtoyota

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #44 on: June 17, 2016, 07:15:29 PM »
Hoping we're FIRE in 2025! I expect we'll at least be FI. I'll be 42, DH will be 54. Im so thankful for the mmm community- even after less than 2 years of reading this site and the forums, I feel like so many options have opened up to me. I'm vastly more in control of my finances than ever before, and that has given me a power and confidence at work that's had a tangible impact on my career. I'm better at my job because I have the power to say no, and it's amazing.

Yes. This is a great feeling. Congrats! I left a bad-for-me job with the confidence that I had the money to cover my expenses. And then I started a business and I never had to dip into savings. MMM, and other financial ideas and websites, changed my life for the better.

eyePod

• Pencil Stache
    • Flipping A Dollar
« Reply #45 on: June 18, 2016, 05:49:14 AM »
In. I'll be 40 then. We have 6x in our investments and 8x if you include mortgage principal.

I make a lot, my wife just finished grad school and will get a pay bump in the fall assuming she is hired where she is at (very lilely). I'm looking at two other possibilities for new jobs which would pay more, and we are thinking about.movig and we would rent out our current house. The nice thing is that our current house could be sold at the drop of a hat. Average time on market is less than 2 weeks in our development!

SoccerLounge

• Stubble
« Reply #46 on: June 19, 2016, 09:40:34 AM »
I may not RE because my job/career is super awesome, but count me in for 2025 FI. We shall see how things go.

wienerdog

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #47 on: July 02, 2016, 02:18:35 PM »
Moved to 5.25 x expenses Friday.  The graph is heading in the right direction.
« Last Edit: July 02, 2016, 02:58:30 PM by wienerdog »

SoccerLounge

• Stubble
« Reply #48 on: July 02, 2016, 04:19:43 PM »
Moved to 5.25 x expenses Friday.  The graph is heading in the right direction.
It sure is - nice work!

druth

• Bristles
« Reply #49 on: July 05, 2016, 03:18:37 PM »
I'm at 3x.  It took me the last 5 months to save 1x expenses, so it is moving pretty quickly, targeting another 5 months to get to 4x.