Author Topic: 2025 Fire Cohort  (Read 204563 times)

Fomerly known as something

• Handlebar Stache
Re: 2025 Fire Cohort
« Reply #150 on: April 18, 2017, 05:25:15 AM »
For me 2025 is incredibly safe, (immediate pension, keeping health benefits) but when it comes to my 'stache it means that I will have a shit ton more than I need.  Right now I'm minimally FI, I'd need to make some pretty dramatic living changes although some of it might be mitigated moving to ACA.  But my conservative Health care/property tax budget eats up 1/2 of that minimal RE budget so I'd have to move to cheaper place long term etc.

The estimated tipping point between minimal RE and comfy RE gets me less than 5 years away from my "full" retirement at age 47 which brings up the question of do I stay for just a little while to change from comfy RE to "luxury" RE. 

FL_MM

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #151 on: May 30, 2017, 06:41:55 PM »
2025 if not sooner...go market returns!!  I'd be a bit older than most in 2025, so only have to use bridge funds for a few years. I have 14 x saved and a paid off mortgage.
« Last Edit: July 04, 2017, 08:09:06 AM by FL_MM »

yourusernamehere

• Stubble
« Reply #152 on: May 30, 2017, 06:43:06 PM »
I love when you guys post! The notification comes up and reminds me that 2025 is getting closer.

oneday

• CMTO 2023 Attendees
  • Walrus Stache
  • only good pies and no bad pies -mspym
« Reply #153 on: May 30, 2017, 11:28:09 PM »
I love when you guys post! The notification comes up and reminds me that 2025 is getting closer.

+1!

dougules

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #154 on: June 02, 2017, 03:49:49 PM »

Post?

yourusernamehere

• Stubble
« Reply #155 on: June 02, 2017, 04:05:47 PM »

Post?
Or... comment? Is "post" wrong?

frugalecon

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #156 on: June 02, 2017, 06:18:40 PM »

Post?

I think "post" is just fine. Btw, my countdown spreadsheet informs me I have 1715 working days until my 2025 date. Just wonder if I will fall prey to the OMY illness at that time.

TomTX

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #157 on: June 03, 2017, 03:44:38 PM »

Post?

I think "post" is just fine. Btw, my countdown spreadsheet informs me I have 1715 working days until my 2025 date. Just wonder if I will fall prey to the OMY illness at that time.

I'm in this thread for inspiration to get out 2 years early from my "pension available" date in 2027, which would kick the pension start actually out to 2029.

Sapphire

• Bristles
« Reply #158 on: June 30, 2017, 10:22:32 PM »
Waving to all to say hello 2025.

After considerable time lurking, learning (wish I had found this stuff 20 years ago!), planning and (now) posting, we're in for 2025.  We are also late party arrivers (I'll be 55 and DH 56 in 2025) but we got here...

The mortgage will be paid off, we'll both have a reasonable stache in superannuation (Australia's version of 401s, except we can't touch it until we hit 60); and enough outside of super to carry us until 60.

I really like my job but it takes up a great deal of time and mental energy.  Over the next 8 years, I'm going to focus on continuing to enjoy my job (I don't want to feel like I'm serving a sentence!) and plan some great holidays to have things to look forward to.  Our youngest child finishes high school this year so a lot of the hands on parenting is reduced, which frees us up more.

Fire2025

• Bristles
« Reply #159 on: July 01, 2017, 05:45:54 AM »
I'll be 55 and DH 56 in 2025

One plus for us oldies but goodies, we can withdraw from our 401k without penalty at 55.  Little silver lining there.

If you are 55 years old or older in the year you left your job and you need to take a distribution of your retirement plan funds immediately, you should leave the money in your company plan and take your withdrawals from there. The reason is because distributions from your company plan, when you leave the company in the year you turn age 55 or later, are not subject to the 10% early distribution penalty if you no longer work for that company (or what the tax code refers to as “separation from service”). Remember, though, that the distribution would still be subject to federal income taxes.

It’s the year you turn age 55 that matters. For example, in one Tax Court case, the Court ruled that a person was liable for the 10% penalty for an early distribution made from her company retirement plan. Although her distribution took place after she turned age 55, she left her job when she was just age 53, which disqualified her from being eligible for the age 55 exception to the 10% penalty. It’s the year someone separates from service that matters, not the distribution date. To qualify for the penalty exception, separation from service must occur in the year the person turns age 55 or older.

TomTX

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #160 on: July 01, 2017, 04:46:34 PM »
Waving to all to say hello 2025.

After considerable time lurking, learning (wish I had found this stuff 20 years ago!), planning and (now) posting, we're in for 2025.  We are also late party arrivers (I'll be 55 and DH 56 in 2025) but we got here...

The mortgage will be paid off, we'll both have a reasonable stache in superannuation (Australia's version of 401s, except we can't touch it until we hit 60); and enough outside of super to carry us until 60.

If I didn't have to worry about medical, I could almost certainly pull the plug in 2025. Means I would get my pension in 2029.

If I can't cover medical, I need to wait for the pension. Which will be 2027 if I work straight through.

Sapphire

• Bristles
« Reply #161 on: July 01, 2017, 07:40:59 PM »
Fire2025 I envy you being able to access your 401s at 55.  The government here increased our ability to access our superannuation from age 55 to 60 years some time ago.  I suspect they will try to further increase the superannuation age accessibility again in the future to 65 years, but hopefully we should get plenty of notice about it and can respond accordingly.

TomTX, we are lucky re our health care costs – we have a universal health care system and a much cheaper private health insurance system than you appear to have.  I have a private family health insurance policy with no excess on it which cost $379.00 per month.  It includes hospital cover and extras cover (dental, optometry etc).  Our doctor “bulk bills” which means it is “free” go to the GP.  I feel incredibly lucky we have this system, when I read about some of the medical costs you face. 

TomTX

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #162 on: July 01, 2017, 08:39:00 PM »
Fire2025 I envy you being able to access your 401s at 55.  The government here increased our ability to access our superannuation from age 55 to 60 years some time ago.  I suspect they will try to further increase the superannuation age accessibility again in the future to 65 years, but hopefully we should get plenty of notice about it and can respond accordingly.

TomTX, we are lucky re our health care costs – we have a universal health care system and a much cheaper private health insurance system than you appear to have.  I have a private family health insurance policy with no excess on it which cost $379.00 per month.  It includes hospital cover and extras cover (dental, optometry etc).  Our doctor “bulk bills” which means it is “free” go to the GP.  I feel incredibly lucky we have this system, when I read about some of the medical costs you face.

Even with employer supplied insurance, I'm paying almost $600 a month just for the coverage. Then I have copays for GP doctor visits, and pay 20% for everything else.

Bird In Hand

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #163 on: July 01, 2017, 10:33:16 PM »
2025 is probably in the ballpark, so I'll join.  DW and I will be in our upper 40's then, which still counts as RE I think.

We've saved 19x-23x our expected retirement expenses, with the range representing a slightly higher down to slightly lower standard of living.  If we include our home equity, we've saved 23x-28x.

If we keep making the same mortgage payments that we have been making for the last ~7 years, the mortgage should be gone in ~3 years.  At that point we could afford to drastically increase our after-tax savings, or downshift and coast ESR-style while our 'stache (hopefully) grows to a number that screams 'RE!' to us.
« Last Edit: August 06, 2023, 08:17:18 AM by Bird In Hand »

Anette

• Bristles
« Reply #164 on: August 24, 2017, 03:01:00 PM »
Hi all would like to join, too.
Living in Germany and my husband and I are hoping to FIRE in 2025. So far we have only saved 4x, but we figure we might just save enough to bridge the time until retirement (67).
With our system it will be a lot cheaper to keep a part time job(15%) and be able to keep full health insurance coverage through that. We are still supporting 4 children and we still have a mortgage.
I feel lucky I found the mmm blog 6 month ago and this community. Also feel lucky my husband got on board.
He is not super interested in reading up on things but thinks it will be wonderful to be able to spend more time together.
Oh and we got started late. We will both be 55 in 2025! And we were really stupid with money most of the 25 years that we have been married ( not that we made much for the first 10)
Anyway, it is great to learn from all of you!

skiddieleet

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #165 on: September 09, 2017, 04:05:29 PM »
I'm also shooting for 2025, the year I turn 40.

Same, turning 40 and I think I can be FI by then.  There was a thread on reddit about how 300K is about halfway to 1M taking into account compounding and depending on your yearly contribution.  So I'm banking on that and calling it to say I will be FI by 2025.

I'm starting to think 2030 is more realistic for my wife and I.  Although we've been talking about downsizing our house.  I'd love to downsize and pay it off in a couple years, live closer to work and our parents, and have a lower tax burden forever.

Maybe if we play our cards right 2025 could still be in the cards.

tj

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #166 on: September 09, 2017, 07:08:22 PM »
I'm also shooting for 2025, the year I turn 40.

Same, turning 40 and I think I can be FI by then.  There was a thread on reddit about how 300K is about halfway to 1M taking into account compounding and depending on your yearly contribution.  So I'm banking on that and calling it to say I will be FI by 2025.

I'm starting to think 2030 is more realistic for my wife and I.  Although we've been talking about downsizing our house.  I'd love to downsize and pay it off in a couple years, live closer to work and our parents, and have a lower tax burden forever.

Maybe if we play our cards right 2025 could still be in the cards.

I downsized to a 1 bedroom co-op apartment in Arizona. I paid less than $50k for it. :D I don't plan on ever moving as long as I'm single.

TomTX

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #167 on: September 09, 2017, 07:38:52 PM »

I downsized to a 1 bedroom co-op apartment in Arizona. I paid less than $50k for it. :D I don't plan on ever moving as long as I'm single.

City? Monthly fees/HOA? Is the HOA fiscally responsible?

tj

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #168 on: September 10, 2017, 11:08:27 AM »

City? Monthly fees/HOA? Is the HOA fiscally responsible?

There are several co-ops in both the Phoenix and Tucson metros. E.G., Here's one in Tucson for $22k: https://www.redfin.com/AZ/Tucson/1776-S-Jones-Blvd-85713/unit-N206/home/117896191

Monthly fees here in Scottsdale are in the range of $200ish-$300ish depending on the size of the unit. There is everything from a studio apartment to a 3 bedroom townhouse. Monthly fees includes water, sewer, trash, property taxes, building insurance, water heater replacement, and air conditioner replacement. My water heater needed to be replaced when I moved in. Apparently the previous occupant never turned on the gas/hot water!

I'm satisfied with the financials, but you're always at the mercy of a board of directors who is hopefully competent when buying into this sort of thing.

rentalnewbie

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #169 on: September 12, 2017, 12:23:29 PM »
I am going to join this thread as 2025 is our goal year for FIRE. Honestly it's so far out right now that I'm not sure we can hit it but my original goal when joining MMM was age 40, which me and my SO will both hit in 2025. I am impressed that it seems so settled for many of you when it's 9 years away and so much can happen!

Our current status:
- modest 401(k)/IRA with 2x expenses (and growing!)
- .5x expenses liquid, which will be a future "forever" house down payment/pay for our wedding & honeymoon next year
- 1 rental house + house we currently live in, which will become rental #2 (these are both mortgaged at slightly less than 80%currently)

Right now our FIRE spreadsheet has us targeted at age 44, however, that doesn't include any wage growth that we can reasonably expect or income from our to be acquired rental properties. The key for us, will be to pay off our primary residence and 2-3 rentals. After we get our "forever" house (~2 years), we'll focus on paying off the properties for a while before we buy more.

Just checking in since it's been close to a year! How are everyone's goals looking 8 years out?

I think we are doing well but it's very hard to say what our savings rate is because we spent so much on our wedding last year and this year and combined my spending with my now husbands spending, so I don't know where our spending baseline is anymore. Next year I should have a better idea.

Status update:
- Our net-worth surpassed 100k at the beginning of the year according to Mint, I would say we actually hit it later because it is generous in its property valuations
- My SO and I are married now and our wedding is fully paid for + a few thousand paid back to us from credit card hacking
- We've decided to stay in our townhouse for now and look for a 2nd rental, delaying an up-size in house for us probably 2 years. There is nothing decent looking on the market unfortunately so we continue to look and save.

AK

• Stubble
« Reply #170 on: September 12, 2017, 12:29:25 PM »
Since becoming self-employed a year ago, my income has gone up steadily but it's irregular. If it can be kept up for a few more years, I may be able to join the 2021 cohort but planning on staying here to be conservative. Am expecting to pay off the student loans next year which is 3 years ahead of schedule on top of maxing out all tax-advantaged accounts. My stretch goal is paying off the auto loan too. Overall, things have never been better. Hope everyone is still making progress too :)

swashbucklinstache

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #171 on: September 12, 2017, 05:19:46 PM »
Yah chief, sign me up. Likely as FI rather than FIRE, with a few extra years to pad on after, but so much could change from now to then. Aged 27, 8.5x current expense saved, no house, 65% or so savings rate give or take. Single, readiness-to-mingle currently TBD

Well, there was my original post in 12/2016! In the intervening 9 months I've moved from 8.5x current expenses to 10.96x and upped my savings rate a few percentage points! I'm still an immature smartass though :).

My life is so far from where it'll be in 2025 that it's hard to say how i'm doing, but things are headed in the right direction. I could be in the 650k-900k range if things go roughly how they've gone so far. The high end of that is looking damn near the end of things for full-time worker bee me if I'm still single and childless at that time, or at least time to ask for a stupid amount of money not to go a-wanderin'.

Hope everyone else is on track, too.

oneday

• CMTO 2023 Attendees
  • Walrus Stache
« Reply #172 on: September 12, 2017, 06:08:02 PM »
2025 is our stretch goal.  Currently have 3.3x spending in pre- & post-tax savings accounts, but will also get a substantial pension when Mr. O retires.  So yeah, it's a stretch, but I would love to retire with you all!!!

Well, a year can change a lot.  Mr. O (soon to be Mr. X) and I are divorcing.  I will probably give up claim to his pension in exchange for the real estate.  That will have a really big impact on my net worth.  No hard numbers yet, as the actuaries are still working on the pension calculations.

Sapphire

• Bristles
« Reply #173 on: September 12, 2017, 06:21:00 PM »
2025 is our stretch goal.  Currently have 3.3x spending in pre- & post-tax savings accounts, but will also get a substantial pension when Mr. O retires.  So yeah, it's a stretch, but I would love to retire with you all!!!

Well, a year can change a lot.  Mr. O (soon to be Mr. X) and I are divorcing.  I will probably give up claim to his pension in exchange for the real estate.  That will have a really big impact on my net worth.  No hard numbers yet, as the actuaries are still working on the pension calculations.

Sorry to hear this Oneday.

oneday

• CMTO 2023 Attendees
  • Walrus Stache
« Reply #174 on: September 12, 2017, 11:54:33 PM »
Thanks for they sympathy, Sapphire.  The good news is that it was a long time coming, so the split is reasonably amicable.  The biggest down side is financial.  Between the two of us, we now have to support 2 households instead of 1.

Laura33

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #175 on: September 13, 2017, 06:54:57 AM »
Ah, crap, sorry oneday.  Hope you can still stay with us here at the 2025 party. :-)

I think we're doing well.  It's been a year of adjusting attitudes and expectations more than anything, and progress can be slow (see my "how do you not kill your DH" thread for an example).  But I have been very clear with him about my belief that we can live on a lot less than we are planning; he is not there yet, but he has started to at least joke about things like, "well, you could pack me a lunch everyday," which would have been unthinkable in years past (he goes out to lunch with the guys every freaking day).  I'm also finding my own mental attitude changing; really focusing on the value of what I spend has me wanting less and less stuff and valuing my time more and more -- the only clothes I have bought this year were some gym clothes that I actually needed for Crossfit, I haven't paid for a haircut in over a year, and I have started trying the non-department-store cosmetic options for the few things I actually use.  Not that I've gone cheap -- I do have a massively stupid car.  :-)  But I love that infinitely more than I enjoy clothes or makeup.  And it feels good to move away from throwing money at crap that I don't care about.  I think we'll be dropping some memberships this fall that we haven't been using, which, again, will help the budget a fair bit.

So right now, we're still at 2025.  My secret hope is that I can convince DH to cut the current spend some and lower his ridiculous RE budget so that I can move up to an earlier group, like 2020 (I really don't see how we're going to spend 50% MORE than we do now, even with all the travel we want to do!).  But he thinks 12 yrs is more likely, so 2025 is still our compromise.

chasingthegoodlife

• Bristles
« Reply #176 on: September 13, 2017, 03:02:33 PM »
Sorry to hear that oneday. I'm hoping things turn out as well as they can with your settlement and life leads you in exciting directions.

Slowly chipping away here. The stash is moving in a positive direction despite a very spendy year (car died, roof repairs, getting married and desperately trying to have a 'non wedding' against others' expectations).

I can't quite remember what I used as my estimated yearly spending when I joined this thread and said I was at 14x expenses. Best guess, I am now at 18x that barebones number taking into account the recent value increase to my rental property, or 16x playing it safe.

Enjoying life as it is and will just keep rolling until it feels right

Wakeuprich

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #177 on: September 13, 2017, 03:12:14 PM »
Hi all! Long time lurker here from the UK.

I discovered MMM about three years ago whilst in my final year of university! What a great discovery that turned out to be!

I'm now 24, having attempted to practice the mustachian way of life since joining the real world and getting an actual proper adult job two years ago.

I just wanted to say a big thankyou to MMM and a huge portion of you here on the forum, for giving me the wisdom and knowledge to know what can be achieved by being sensible with money!

oneday

• CMTO 2023 Attendees
  • Walrus Stache
« Reply #178 on: September 13, 2017, 03:18:41 PM »
Thank you for the kind words Laura33 and chasingthegoodlife.  We all have our challenges, be it spendy spouse, wedding, divorce or whatnot.  I still have 8 years & 4 months to retire in the class of 2025 (Dec 31 counts! :).  Won't know if that's reasonable until the assets have been divided, so I'll hopefully be able to update here by year end.

Laura33, is your avatar a picture of John Lithgow from Bucaroo Banzai???

Gondolin

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #179 on: September 13, 2017, 03:58:04 PM »
Good vibes to oneday.

It looks like I will hit my spending goal for 2017 and am up to about x6 expenses. So far, so good.

Laura33

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #180 on: September 13, 2017, 05:20:23 PM »

Well spotted!  Knew I liked you.  ;-)

oneday

• CMTO 2023 Attendees
  • Walrus Stache
« Reply #181 on: September 13, 2017, 05:50:29 PM »
Thanks, Gondolin.  You have a very nice report here, it's good to see that so many people are successfully working towards this goal over time.

oneday

• CMTO 2023 Attendees
  • Walrus Stache
« Reply #182 on: September 13, 2017, 06:00:17 PM »

Ha ha!  It was your signature that clued me in.  I am not really great with faces...

oneday

• CMTO 2023 Attendees
  • Walrus Stache
« Reply #183 on: September 13, 2017, 06:43:16 PM »

Ha ha!  It was your signature that clued me in.  I am not really great with faces...

Mr. O is trying to keep the Buckaroo Banzai DVD.  This could be the ugliest part of the divorce...lol

Laura33

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #184 on: September 14, 2017, 05:52:07 AM »

Mr. O is trying to keep the Buckaroo Banzai DVD.  This could be the ugliest part of the divorce...lol

Oh, honey, you gotta fight for that baby.

I finally got it on DVR.  Now I can never move or change providers.  :-)

tj

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #185 on: September 30, 2017, 06:22:19 PM »
When I first tracked when I could retire this summer, it was at the end of 2025, now it's closer to the beginning! hopefully as the years advance, I get to steal back a couple of years for myself!

I've decided to break the official system, and aim for very very very part time (40hrs a month) and bring my FIRE date down to 2020.

Crazy how much time is cut off if you can reduce your expenses!

What type of work are you looking at? Supposedly being a college basketball or football referee (and obviously professional sports) would allow one to work very part time and bring in decent $$.

afuera

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #186 on: October 02, 2017, 09:47:17 AM »
When I first tracked when I could retire this summer, it was at the end of 2025, now it's closer to the beginning! hopefully as the years advance, I get to steal back a couple of years for myself!

I've decided to break the official system, and aim for very very very part time (40hrs a month) and bring my FIRE date down to 2020.

What type of work are you looking at? Supposedly being a college basketball or football referee (and obviously professional sports) would allow one to work very part time and bring in decent $$.

I easily earn $400-500 a month refereeing soccer games with the most basic certification you can get, not even college or professional.  It would be closer to $500/wk if I didn't have to work my day job (games on the weeknights start before I get home from work so I can only work games on the weekends).  Refereeing is an awesome part time job/side hustle.

mld

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #187 on: October 05, 2017, 10:48:00 AM »
Good thoughts to you oneday.

So this was me at the end of Feb:
We are aiming for 2025 (although Mister D thinks it will be more 2029 but numbers are looking good for 2025 maybe even sooner).

We currently have around 7x our expenses saved up + a fully paid mortgage :) and we save around 60% of our net income.

The first win is that Mr.D is now convinced of the 2025 year as attainable lol.
We are now at a little over 8x our expenses (+ paid off house), could be better but things should start rolling more in the next couple of years.
We've been a bit spendy in different areas this year and working on that as well.

I on the other hand am starting to seriously consider a move like Canadian Ben:

Thinking something similar and am actually starting some freelancing to start trying things out and build something outside of my day-job that I could fall back onto for a few years to cover our spending while I would let the stash grow to reach our actual FI number. Even Mr. D who's usually more cautious in our planning, is starting to consider this. It would probably move me down to around 2022-2023.

On a related note this made me laugh:
It's been a year of adjusting attitudes and expectations more than anything, and progress can be slow (see my "how do you not kill your DH" thread for an example).  But I have been very clear with him about my belief that we can live on a lot less than we are planning; he is not there yet, but he has started to at least joke about things like, "well, you could pack me a lunch everyday," which would have been unthinkable in years past (he goes out to lunch with the guys every freaking day). 
I've actually started preparing Mr. D's lunches in the last few months as he was constantly saying that as a joke whenever I mentioned how much he was spending on them. He went from over 150$ a month on eating at work to 50$ a month so that's a win :P and I just double whatever I prepare for my own lunch. It took him a little while to admit it but he feels much better after eating homemade stuff instead of whatever he was buying before and has more energy in the afternoons so total win.
« Last Edit: October 05, 2017, 10:55:01 AM by mld »

Laura33

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #188 on: October 05, 2017, 12:24:00 PM »
. . . .

It's been a year of adjusting attitudes and expectations more than anything, and progress can be slow (see my "how do you not kill your DH" thread for an example).  But I have been very clear with him about my belief that we can live on a lot less than we are planning; he is not there yet, but he has started to at least joke about things like, "well, you could pack me a lunch everyday," which would have been unthinkable in years past (he goes out to lunch with the guys every freaking day). 
I've actually started preparing Mr. D's lunches in the last few months as he was constantly saying that as a joke whenever I mentioned how much he was spending on them. He went from over 150$ a month on eating at work to 50$ a month so that's a win :P and I just double whatever I prepare for my own lunch. It took him a little while to admit it but he feels much better after eating homemade stuff instead of whatever he was buying before and has more energy in the afternoons so total win.

Hey, getting your DH down to 2025 is a total win!  I think mine is coming around to that as well, much to my surprise (just as I am getting more convinced I cannot possibly make it that long!).

And in the category of "sign of the apocalypse":  Earlier this week, DH had all-day meetings with a large team at a customer site.  Both mornings, he packed himself a lunch in a cooler.  ?!?!?!  Who are you and what have you done with my husband?

[In all honesty, his story is that it was a strategic move -- so he could sit in their cafeteria and listen to the chitchat instead of leaving for lunch -- but still, I'll take a win, thanks very much!]

Linea_Norway

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #189 on: October 06, 2017, 02:37:43 AM »
. . . .

Hey, getting your DH down to 2025 is a total win!  I think mine is coming around to that as well, much to my surprise (just as I am getting more convinced I cannot possibly make it that long!).

And in the category of "sign of the apocalypse":  Earlier this week, DH had all-day meetings with a large team at a customer site.  Both mornings, he packed himself a lunch in a cooler.  ?!?!?!  Who are you and what have you done with my husband?

[In all honesty, his story is that it was a strategic move -- so he could sit in their cafeteria and listen to the chitchat instead of leaving for lunch -- but still, I'll take a win, thanks very much!]

Wow, Laura, your spouse has seen the light! Great to have him starting to think frugally.
Do you think you could make it visible for him at the end of the month, how much he saved by doing this? Just as an extra motivation.

The other alternative for your household would be to separate your finances after paying the fixed, necessary bills. In your retirement calculation, grant each of you a personal allowance and let him work longer to make his allowance larger, while you retire earlier and stick to your smaller allowance. I know this is a bit strange if you are used to having shared finances, but it is not unreasonable when one is a spendypants.

wienerdog

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #190 on: October 06, 2017, 08:54:59 AM »
Still seem to be on track. Spreadsheet says April 2025 at 7.52 x expenses now.  Conservative 4% withdrawal rate and 6% returns is in the sheet.   Slipped a little this year as I have took on installing solar from design to completion myself. A lot of time learning the permit process and electrical install.  Doesn't leave a lot of time for meals and other frugal ways with all the required extra time in the project after work.  Should be well worth it as payoff should be right around 5 years depending on how power rates go.  It will drop spending by ~ 4 - 5% at current rates after that so it will help once I call it quits.

Good news is I got a 20% raise starting next pay period and they say they are getting a 401k.  I hired in over a year ago and was promised 401k in the offer.  Decided to leave as I didn't see any headway on the 401k and they didn't want me to.  Waiting on the new paycheck to see how this will shake things up.

asauer

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #191 on: October 16, 2017, 12:22:21 PM »
2025 is our goal.  Paid off all of our debt including mortgage as of Jan this year so it's full speed into investing.  By that time we'll both be 47 and both kids will be in final year of high school.  At that point we want to sell the family house for something smaller.  The goal being to put the final touches on the 'stache with the potential profits from our house.

LadyDividend

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
    • Lady Dividend
« Reply #192 on: November 21, 2017, 09:47:29 AM »
My year is also 2025. I have two apps which I am tracking this on and they both agree on the date. Preretirement which is a countdown clock and tells me how long I have to keep working until I have the required assets. Every time I update my net worth, if I'm ahead of schedule it decreases my time left- very gratifying!

The other app is called Nifty Financial Independence. It takes my and market data to confirm my stash amount based on the annual withdrawals I am expecting.

oneday

• CMTO 2023 Attendees
  • Walrus Stache
« Reply #193 on: November 21, 2017, 04:18:33 PM »
Hi LadyDivident, welcome to the club!  Your blog has some beautiful photography!  Wondering if you are going to write on your blog about (or already have) the two apps you mentioned in more detail? 

ACyclist

• Bristles
« Reply #194 on: November 23, 2017, 07:35:12 AM »
We will hopefully have our nest egg by this time.  We may have to work a little to pay for insurance. 

skiddieleet

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #195 on: December 26, 2017, 08:55:14 PM »
Just checking in. Everyone still on track?  This year seems misleading to me with such great market returns.

AK

• Stubble
« Reply #196 on: December 27, 2017, 05:24:37 AM »
May be able to do a few years earlier if this bull keeps running and business stays good. Keeping this timeframe to be conservative.

Dragonswan

• Bristles
« Reply #197 on: December 27, 2017, 09:05:40 AM »
On track.  Another year in the pension hopper (=another 1% of my final salary 3 year average).  Finally passed the quarter million mark in my retirement accounts :)

SaucyAussie

• Bristles
« Reply #198 on: December 27, 2017, 09:21:39 AM »
I'll jump in here - my FIRE spreadsheet tells me I have 7.47 years to go. 

My $6000 monthly spend looks like this:
$1000 alimony (until NOV 2018)
$1000 debt payments (JUN 2019)
$1300 house payment (2023-2025)
$1200 child support (JUN 2025)
$1500 everything else

I might be able to coast toward the end, but 2025 looks like the year that everything aligns for me.

Sapphire

• Bristles
« Reply #199 on: December 27, 2017, 08:20:08 PM »
Also keeping conservative and staying here for the time being.

Our Superannuation (Australia's version of 401s) has done really well this year so that's been highly motivating.

Welcome SaucyAussie, always good to see another Aussie!

Happy nearly New Year to all (we're another year closer)....