Author Topic: 2025 Fire Cohort  (Read 214371 times)

markbike528CBX

• Handlebar Stache
Re: 2025 Fire Cohort
« Reply #500 on: March 28, 2022, 09:29:11 AM »
So this month means I am now at 3.5 years from my "age 60" pension multiplier and goal. Woot!

Some disruption at work seems to have calmed down, so I am hoping that this means the new boss and I are "gelling" enough for me to stay firmly employed at my fabulous salary through 2025. ;)

The recent market hit has me feeling...content. I am glad that we have 5 years in TIPS and cash; no worries about having to work OMY or anything like that.

We're starting to think about home improvement projects. But we don't want to undertake them when contractors are so darned hard to obtain.

DH is a little underemployed. He turns 59.5 next Spring, and we're considering tapping into his accounts a little earlier than that.

Does anyone have any experience with accessing the accounts using SEPP? Or should we just bite the bullet and pay the 10% penalty on the amount, should he choose to withdraw funds?
As is often the case, there is a thread for that:
https://forum.mrmoneymustache.com/ask-a-mustachian/anybody-with-experience-using-sepp-72-method/msg2266852/#msg2266852

I've been doing SEPP / 72(t) for 3 years now.  No issues.   I used the amortization method, so I don't have to calculate it every year.   
I intentionally used a 0.05% mid market rate instead of the IRS rule maximum, so I kept the withdrawal (which is taxable) less than the Married Filing Jointly (US) standard deduction.
Two years $0 federal tax, this year $35 to the feds (a MPP thread worthy thing).

That thread is all of one post long.  lol

I too am thinking of going the SEPP route.  Not to get us too off-topic here but I have a couple of questions regarding SEPP that I bet you fine folk can help with.

1. If I quit by job and start doing SEPP, can I go ahead and get another job somewhere else?  Can I contribute to the new jobs 401k?
2. If I find the SEPP is giving me more cash than I need, can I re-invest in a tax-advantaged account?

@SaucyAussie  and others:
Sorry about the one post thread I linked, I meant this one:
https://forum.mrmoneymustache.com/post-fire/anybody-actually-taking-section-72(t)-'sepp'-withdrawals-from-tira/

If it makes you feel any better, this issue disturbed my sleep last night, so I thought I take care of it today. :-)
I had previously forgotten where I had made the mistake, so I couldn't find where to fix it.

SaucyAussie

• Bristles
« Reply #501 on: March 29, 2022, 12:52:30 PM »
So this month means I am now at 3.5 years from my "age 60" pension multiplier and goal. Woot!

Some disruption at work seems to have calmed down, so I am hoping that this means the new boss and I are "gelling" enough for me to stay firmly employed at my fabulous salary through 2025. ;)

The recent market hit has me feeling...content. I am glad that we have 5 years in TIPS and cash; no worries about having to work OMY or anything like that.

We're starting to think about home improvement projects. But we don't want to undertake them when contractors are so darned hard to obtain.

DH is a little underemployed. He turns 59.5 next Spring, and we're considering tapping into his accounts a little earlier than that.

Does anyone have any experience with accessing the accounts using SEPP? Or should we just bite the bullet and pay the 10% penalty on the amount, should he choose to withdraw funds?
As is often the case, there is a thread for that:
https://forum.mrmoneymustache.com/ask-a-mustachian/anybody-with-experience-using-sepp-72-method/msg2266852/#msg2266852

I've been doing SEPP / 72(t) for 3 years now.  No issues.   I used the amortization method, so I don't have to calculate it every year.   
I intentionally used a 0.05% mid market rate instead of the IRS rule maximum, so I kept the withdrawal (which is taxable) less than the Married Filing Jointly (US) standard deduction.
Two years $0 federal tax, this year $35 to the feds (a MPP thread worthy thing).

That thread is all of one post long.  lol

I too am thinking of going the SEPP route.  Not to get us too off-topic here but I have a couple of questions regarding SEPP that I bet you fine folk can help with.

1. If I quit by job and start doing SEPP, can I go ahead and get another job somewhere else?  Can I contribute to the new jobs 401k?
2. If I find the SEPP is giving me more cash than I need, can I re-invest in a tax-advantaged account?

@SaucyAussie  and others:
Sorry about the one post thread I linked, I meant this one:
https://forum.mrmoneymustache.com/post-fire/anybody-actually-taking-section-72(t)-'sepp'-withdrawals-from-tira/

If it makes you feel any better, this issue disturbed my sleep last night, so I thought I take care of it today. :-)
I had previously forgotten where I had made the mistake, so I couldn't find where to fix it.

Ha!  Thanks for that, lots of good information in that thread.

In the meantime, I did come across 72tnet.com/community/ which specializes in this topic. (seems to be down today).  I was able to chat with a very knowledgeable CPA and get all my questions answered.

Basically talked me out of going this route as I am only 33 months away from Rule of 55 provisions kicking in which would provide me far more flexibility. 

But some days 33 months just seems way too long...

markbike528CBX

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #502 on: March 29, 2022, 11:12:16 PM »
Before you steel yourself for 33 more months ,
   Your 401(k) must allow partial withdrawals,
        as a lump sum would have to go to an IRA, which may not be qualified for the rule of 55.

If not, then you don't have to wait for a date that doesn't apply to you.

moneytaichi

• Stubble
« Reply #503 on: April 16, 2022, 11:22:34 PM »
Ok, this was fun...found in the 2022 Retirement cohort, courtesy of @dsw - not that I am planning a jump, was just reading to keep the motivation going...

https://www.timeanddate.com/date/workdays.html?d1=11&m1=10&y1=2019&d2=1&m2=4&y2=2022&ti=on

Suddenly my 1004 days dropped to 691 days (once you take out the weekends and public holidays)...

Thanks @Sapphire for the great link! I just calculated my actual work days in 2022 are 216 days, excluding vacations and wellness days. They are essentially 59% of days out of 365. It seems more bearable :)

I am joining 2025 Fire cohort, if stock/real estate markets don't push us faster, or job conditions don't become too bad. I initially FIREed in 2018, and then we moved to a HCOL area and bought a house. More money is better than cutting expenses. Plus, I enjoy some aspects of work: connecting with others, solving problems, and health benefits etc. At the same time, it's good to set a retirement deadline. Don't want to wait too long till we can't move around easily ;)

Silrossi46

• Stubble
« Reply #504 on: April 19, 2022, 09:11:53 AM »
UPDATE......................I am still hanging into the 2025 club since that allows me penalty free pension withdrawals.  I lurk in the 2023 cohort as well since i am already FI and this is more of a mental game for me than a pure numbers game.   I am FI by a long shot.  The job situation remains tough.  The stress levels are high although i do have a lot of time off which is nice.   The GOLDEN HANDCUFFS are hard to unshackle !  I am also doing the 457B Special catchup which allows me to essentially defer double the max for three years.   The three years before retirement.  (41,000 per year)  which is nice and hard to walk away from. 

As it stands now i am looking like this: 

House = Paid off 700,000 Value. HCOL taxes 14,200/ year
Taxable = 450,000 100% Stock Vanguard Index Funds
457B = 650,000 = Mix of large cap/ SCV/ SP500
Cash =  90,000
Pension at 55 (NOT COLA ADJUSTED) = 8400-8700/ Month depending on final average three years. If i went in 2023 it would be reduced to 7000/M
Healthcare= Fully covered by Employer at no cost to me.
Projected monthly burn = Right now its 40k it could be more depending on what i get me hands into after having tons of free time.

Everything on my house is newer or less than 5 years so i dont think i will need to replace anything to soon other than regular maintenance. 

Once i left this toxic .gov i would probably flip a house and or leverage more of my side hustle.  (flip cars )   

Is anyone else in this boat?   The boat i am referring to is hanging on but wanting to go but just hanging on for the comfort level that it provides my twisted brain?   

I date a much younger person so there could be unexpected expenses down the line but even with that i think i am prepared for pretty much any of what that could be financially.   CFIRESIM has me at 100% success rate with a 100,000 per year inflation adjusted spend for 35 years including taking SS at 62 of 1900/M   and having current stache at 100% stocks.   

This serves as both my update for the 2025 cohort and my rant for the day lol.   

TomTX

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #505 on: April 19, 2022, 11:47:49 AM »
Pension at 55 (NOT COLA ADJUSTED) = 8400-8700/ Month depending on final average three years. If i went in 2023 it would be reduced to 7000/M

Do you have the option to stop working and wait to take the pension? It's what I'm likely to do.

Silrossi46

• Stubble
« Reply #506 on: April 19, 2022, 12:30:39 PM »
whatever point i stop i am required to take the pension.  In this system once you pass 25 years you would be considered retiring early.  There is no option to defer after 25 years.   

LightStache

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #507 on: April 19, 2022, 03:18:03 PM »
Projected monthly burn = Right now its 40k it could be more depending on what i get me hands into after having tons of free time.

Dang I wanna live your life! ;)

Silrossi46

• Stubble
« Reply #508 on: April 19, 2022, 04:53:31 PM »
Thanks for correcting that! Lol 40k per year ……

aeycue13

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #509 on: April 25, 2022, 01:31:12 PM »
Hi, I think I need to officially join this thread.  I've been mostly a lurker here for many years; I really like to be sure before I declare I will do something. :)  I found Early Retirement Extreme first, MMM second, and everything else waterfalled after that.  We made some changes in 2013, and and started really optimizing shortly after that.  Today our stash is at 19-20 times our yearly expenses (2.5 years of expenses are in taxable brokerage - we are shooting for 5yrs total in order to start a roth ladder a la madfientist).  Since the spreadsheets haven't lied to us yet, I have to believe we will be done in 2025.  I'm already starting to think about real-world details like ACA health insurance and when to actually quit. I'm thinking March 2025 because I get a large 401k lump sum in late Feb every year; my wife may quit at the end of 2024 if markets allow.

Does anyone have thoughts on front loading retirement accounts/HSA in the first 3 months of the year and then quitting with essentially zero earned income for the year?  I'm considering that vs. padding the taxable account for flexibility.

LightStache

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #510 on: April 25, 2022, 04:00:51 PM »
Hi, I think I need to officially join this thread.  I've been mostly a lurker here for many years; I really like to be sure before I declare I will do something. :)  I found Early Retirement Extreme first, MMM second, and everything else waterfalled after that.  We made some changes in 2013, and and started really optimizing shortly after that.  Today our stash is at 19-20 times our yearly expenses (2.5 years of expenses are in taxable brokerage - we are shooting for 5yrs total in order to start a roth ladder a la madfientist).  Since the spreadsheets haven't lied to us yet, I have to believe we will be done in 2025.  I'm already starting to think about real-world details like ACA health insurance and when to actually quit. I'm thinking March 2025 because I get a large 401k lump sum in late Feb every year; my wife may quit at the end of 2024 if markets allow.

Does anyone have thoughts on front loading retirement accounts/HSA in the first 3 months of the year and then quitting with essentially zero earned income for the year?  I'm considering that vs. padding the taxable account for flexibility.

If you plan to do your Roth conversions at 0% then it makes sense to keep your 2025 taxable income at 0%. However if you plan to pay tax in future years, it's probably optimal to spread some of that into 2025. For example if you plan to convert enough to fill the 15% federal bracket in 2026, you should at least fill the 12% bracket in 2025.

aeycue13

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #511 on: April 26, 2022, 09:47:27 AM »
If you plan to do your Roth conversions at 0% then it makes sense to keep your 2025 taxable income at 0%. However if you plan to pay tax in future years, it's probably optimal to spread some of that into 2025. For example if you plan to convert enough to fill the 15% federal bracket in 2026, you should at least fill the 12% bracket in 2025.

That makes sense.  Thanks for the reponse!

Turtle

• CM*MW 2023 Attendees
  • Pencil Stache
« Reply #512 on: April 26, 2022, 12:31:09 PM »
Also if you are trying to keep your MAGI low for using ACA during the remainder of the year, it makes sense to do the 401K stuffing in traditional vs Roth in order to have lower annual income.

aeycue13

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #513 on: April 29, 2022, 12:50:18 PM »
Also if you are trying to keep your MAGI low for using ACA during the remainder of the year, it makes sense to do the 401K stuffing in traditional vs Roth in order to have lower annual income.

Right.  It will be a balancing act for sure - how much roth conversion vs. how much ACA subsidy.  I have to start plugging in some numbers and find/guess the sweet spot.

asauer

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #514 on: May 07, 2022, 09:17:55 AM »
Jumping into this group.  I originally FIREd in Oct 2021 but after 6 months realized that my career wasn't quite done but rather, I just needed a damn rest.  So, I'm back to full time work.  I'm aiming for 2025 as my two children will graduate from high school and my DH and I will both retire to travel at least half the year.  I know I can work and travel, but...I don't want to.  I may keep some very part time consulting work just to pay for travel extras but I was a road warrior in my 20s and 30s and I don't want to work while I'm on the road anymore. 

Goatee Joe

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #515 on: May 07, 2022, 11:08:00 AM »
Also jumping into this group.  Still a few years to go, but it's looking likely I'll be able to pull the plug and retire by the end of 2025.  I'll turn 50 earlier that same year, and become pension-eligible at that point.  The job isn't as fun as it used to be for me, but not so terrible that I can't hang in there a couple more years, Lord willing and the creeks don't rise.  Stay the course, '25 cohort... it'll be here before you know it!

Silrossi46

• Stubble
« Reply #516 on: May 07, 2022, 12:05:52 PM »
Welcome to the waiting on the pension club!

Fomerly known as something

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #517 on: May 07, 2022, 09:18:26 PM »
Welcome to the waiting on the pension club!

2025 is a good year to start a pension.

frugalecon

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #518 on: May 21, 2022, 03:21:00 PM »
I haven’t checked in with this thread in a while. I have lurked in several…2022 (hey, a guy can dream)…2027 (if the whole world went to hell)…but 2025 is the most likely. Portfolio has taken it in the shorts, at least a bit, but not enough to really matter. And overall the plan is pretty bulletproof for 2025, unless social order breaks down, and then I doubt I would be getting a paycheck anyway.

Overall I am feeling good, b/c 2025 really isn’t that far away. 146 weeks to my preferred date. Tick tock tick tock…. 73 pay periods, and I am always amazed by how fast a pay period goes by.

swashbucklinstache

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #519 on: May 21, 2022, 08:04:36 PM »
I haven’t checked in with this thread in a while. I have lurked in several…2022 (hey, a guy can dream)…2027 (if the whole world went to hell)…but 2025 is the most likely. Portfolio has taken it in the shorts, at least a bit, but not enough to really matter. And overall the plan is pretty bulletproof for 2025, unless social order breaks down, and then I doubt I would be getting a paycheck anyway.

Overall I am feeling good, b/c 2025 really isn’t that far away. 146 weeks to my preferred date. Tick tock tick tock…. 73 pay periods, and I am always amazed by how fast a pay period goes by.
What's your estimated stache size for each RE year, expenses, and other income? Just curious. For me it's 900k, 1.4mm, 2mm, with current expenses around 31k and no other income guaranteed.

bryan995

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #520 on: May 22, 2022, 06:29:51 AM »

What's your estimated stache size for each RE year, expenses, and other income? Just curious. For me it's 900k, 1.4mm, 2mm, with current expenses around 31k and no other income guaranteed.

Not who you asked the question but I’ve been toying with similar years as well.

For me it’s:
2022: 1.4mm
2025: 3.0mm (stock vesting)
2027: 3.6mm

Current expenses are quite high at the moment.
3 in daycare at $4100/mo and a mortgage of $4500/mo. So spending well over $100k/yr.
Live in HCOL. Working to add more rentals before we FIRE. Would like at least a few :)

Also very much looking forward to the day we can replace daycare with (free) public school.

Vashy

• Bristles
« Reply #521 on: May 22, 2022, 06:31:29 AM »
I haven’t checked in with this thread in a while. I have lurked in several…2022 (hey, a guy can dream)…2027 (if the whole world went to hell)…but 2025 is the most likely.

I'm watching the 2022 thread too for some secondhand joy and motivation. Though to be honest, my FI/RE will happen at any point between now and 31 December 2025. Depends a bit on how things go at work and how long I can stand it.

Silrossi46

• Stubble
« Reply #522 on: May 22, 2022, 11:59:35 AM »
I am also in the how long I can stand it / golden handcuffs club. 

2022 = 970k = (down from 1,170,000) 100% stocks
2025 = ? 

2025 spending = 50-60k with a ton of fluff.   Pension likely 8400-9000/m non cola adjusted. Stickin around for the penalty free payout at 55

frugalecon

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #523 on: June 10, 2022, 04:21:36 PM »
Feels like I am passing through a big milestone…this weekend will be below 1000 calendar days until my target retirement date in 2025. That actually doesn’t feel that long. I imagine 100 days will be “rock and roll party every day” time.

jlcnuke

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #524 on: June 20, 2022, 08:20:31 AM »
Well, looks like I'm moving from the 2024 to the 2025 cohort. High stock % portfolio means more volatility, and with recent market performance I don't see a recovery fast enough that I'll still make the 2024 plan, so looks like I'm jumping over here to the 2025 group instead :)

frugalecon

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #525 on: July 09, 2022, 07:36:21 AM »
With 972 days to go (but who’s counting?) did the end-of-Q2 balance sheet on investments. Portfolio went from 5% overfunded for retirement to 10% underfunded, relative to a goal that had some wiggle room. Never great to go in reverse, but there is some time to recover.

2Birds1Stone

• Walrus Stache
  • K Thnx Bye
« Reply #526 on: July 10, 2022, 12:28:17 AM »
With 972 days to go (but who’s counting?) did the end-of-Q2 balance sheet on investments. Portfolio went from 5% overfunded for retirement to 10% underfunded, relative to a goal that had some wiggle room. Never great to go in reverse, but there is some time to recover.

That doesn't make much sense. Terminology error?

Vashy

• Bristles
« Reply #527 on: July 10, 2022, 04:19:25 AM »
Tentatively joined the 2022 cohort, but keeping one foot in here. Company policies and a general state of fedupness make an early exit a lot likely, but the reptile brain might still win out, or - outside chance - I might be able to negotiate a part-time or contract deal with the employer.

frugalecon

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #528 on: July 10, 2022, 04:54:40 AM »

That doesn't make much sense. Terminology error?

Sorry, I probably wasn’t clear. As part of my portfolio tracking spreadsheet, I have an overall goal for the balance I would like to have at retirement. I increase the goal every year to reflect inflation. At the end of last year the portfolio exceeded the goal by 5%, but following the market decline and the increase in inflation (which resulted in increasing the nominal goal), the portfolio value is now 10% below the goal.

SotI

• Bristles
« Reply #529 on: July 24, 2022, 05:29:52 AM »
Still aiming for end of 2025. Hedging my bets a bit by shifting a few thousand quid into pensions, as they are inflation-indexed and renovating a few "must do" rooms that had been scheduled for 2025 - simply inflation-driven. Plus we are very happy with the result, and this adds to life satisfaction.

ardrum

• Stubble
« Reply #530 on: August 02, 2022, 06:52:49 PM »
Joining this group from 2024 group.  The combination of the market performance and reduction in my preferred WR for retirement to 3% has me aiming for the end of 2025 to FIRE.

TomTX

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #531 on: August 02, 2022, 07:32:34 PM »
Joining this group from 2024 group.  The combination of the market performance and reduction in my preferred WR for retirement to 3% has me aiming for the end of 2025 to FIRE.

Are you seeing a significant difference between 3.5% and 3.0?

If so, what are your allocations and expected investment expense percentage?

https://engaging-data.com/will-money-last-retire-early/

2Birds1Stone

• Walrus Stache
  • K Thnx Bye
« Reply #532 on: August 02, 2022, 11:27:16 PM »

This is the second delay of the year. Next is 2026 cohort?

Thoughtful Mule

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #533 on: August 16, 2022, 11:30:31 AM »
Alright, this is my first post in this group. The Date is Feb 27, 2025. 42nd birthday.

We actually reached FI briefly in 2021 (on the spreadsheet at least), but we knew there would be some life changes. It turns out the life changes were more expensive than anticipated and market forces less favorable. Home purchase in 2022 and second child in daycare being the biggest changes. Some of our budget inflation is intentional, some market driven.  After making adjustments to the projection, 2025 it is. WR goal is 4% and I even have a little bit of part time income baked in, because... work is good.

There was a brief period of mourning, but being honest with myself, we are doing great. It feels like a sure thing and I expect the time to fly by.

frugalecon

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #534 on: August 16, 2022, 04:26:30 PM »
Alright, this is my first post in this group. The Date is Feb 27, 2025. 42nd birthday.

We actually reached FI briefly in 2021 (on the spreadsheet at least), but we knew there would be some life changes. It turns out the life changes were more expensive than anticipated and market forces less favorable. Home purchase in 2022 and second child in daycare being the biggest changes. Some of our budget inflation is intentional, some market driven.  After making adjustments to the projection, 2025 it is. WR goal is 4% and I even have a little bit of part time income baked in, because... work is good.

There was a brief period of mourning, but being honest with myself, we are doing great. It feels like a sure thing and I expect the time to fly by.

Hey TM,

My target date is about a week later! It really was great to go below 1000 days, and they do seem to fly by. Congrats on getting to within sight of the finish line at such a young age!

Laura33

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #535 on: August 17, 2022, 01:11:47 PM »
OK, have to report solid steps toward the goal.  Not financially; we're there, as far as I'm concerned (it's DH who disagrees).  But I took another step back from the job this week by going to an hourly basis vs. salaried basis.  I was already at 50%, and I imagine my hourly involvement is going to be even lower -- I asked for the change primarily to remove the burden/guilt of marketing and administrivia and all of the other unpaid labor that goes along with being a partner. 

I got this approved as a short-term thing to give me the bandwidth to deal with other crap going on in my life (primarily rebuilding after house fire + having DS return to school in-person after missing a good chunk of the winter/spring with anxiety/depression), and the current plan is for 2-3 months.  But I really see it as a trial run for how I'd like the future to be -- it's not that I want never to work again, it's that I don't want to feel pressured to work when I just flat-out don't feel like it.  And I don't feel like it right now.

I'm actually kinda proud of myself for taking the step, because DH isn't particularly thrilled, and I'm going to have to figure out things like changing insurance (50% is the minimum to be covered at work), and I tend to let those sorts of things dissuade me from doing things that are scary.  So we'll see how this goes!

Vashy

• Bristles
« Reply #536 on: August 17, 2022, 01:14:33 PM »
Tentatively joined the 2022 cohort, but keeping one foot in here. Company policies and a general state of fedupness make an early exit a lot likely, but the reptile brain might still win out, or - outside chance - I might be able to negotiate a part-time or contract deal with the employer.

I've been downsized so now doing a coast/barista FI/RE as part of the 2022 cohort. If I get offered a really awesome job that allows me to boost the 'stache in a very meaningful way, I might re-join. Good luck everybody - you got this!

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #537 on: August 17, 2022, 08:47:45 PM »
@Laura33 glad to hear you are ready to step back.  The rest of the stuff oh my thought to you.

oneday

• CMTO 2023 Attendees
  • Walrus Stache
  • only good pies and no bad pies -mspym
« Reply #538 on: August 19, 2022, 10:21:30 PM »
@Laura33 good for you getting over the hurdle of "scary" to make your dreams come true!!!

@Vashy good luck I hope you hit your goals, too!

markbike528CBX

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #539 on: August 20, 2022, 01:14:20 PM »
….snip….

I've been downsized so now doing a coast/barista FI/RE as part of the 2022 cohort. If I get offered a really awesome job that allows me to boost the 'stache in a very meaningful way, I might re-join. Good luck everybody - you got this!

Vashy, I would suggest that you have not been downsized, but right-sized.
Downsized is what happens to non-mustachians.

You are now freed from OMY, golden handcuffs.  The amount of agonizing about those two thing on this forum is astonishing, you got off easy. 
Examples include username literally OMY, and the 2M to 4M and beyond thread.

TomTX

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #540 on: August 20, 2022, 05:15:18 PM »
Yea, the 2M to 4M and beyond thread just boggle me. Or bogleheads me ;)

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #541 on: August 20, 2022, 05:20:16 PM »
Yea, the 2M to 4M and beyond thread just boggle me. Or bogleheads me ;)

It wasn’t my goal, but I’m sticking around for my really good pension at the age of 47.  I somehow found myself there.

Vashy

• Bristles
« Reply #542 on: August 21, 2022, 06:19:40 AM »

You are now freed from OMY, golden handcuffs.  The amount of agonizing about those two thing on this forum is astonishing, you got off easy. 
Examples include username literally OMY, and the 2M to 4M and beyond thread.

Oh, I like that! Yes, OMY could easily have been my trap too, and I'm still a fair bit (200k) off my FI/RE number at this point, but I hope market growth over the next 10 years will take care of that, plus the side gig will allow me to both have a life and put away more money, though at a slightly reduced rate. We (My Vashy and I) are just about household millionaires, and 50% of that is real estate, so it's a solid base. Mostly, though, I want to do other things with my life than work and commute.

weebs

• Stubble
« Reply #543 on: August 31, 2022, 10:00:10 AM »

That's an excellent way of looking at it.  Vashy - congrats for embarking on the next leg of your journey. 

After a spectacularly crappy day at work yesterday, I'm officially throwing my hat in the 2025 ring.  I've reached the "can't say that I'm missing it, Bob" stage with my current position, so we'll see if I last that long.  I have no intention of coasting, but the gloves are off and there will be no suger coating of opinions.  Maybe I'll get lucky and be "right-sized" before 2025.

Sandi_k

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #544 on: September 17, 2022, 02:42:22 PM »

So, I am now 3 years from the planned retirement date! (Actual plan is October 31, 2025 - but I am eligible in Sept. 2025, as that's when I turn 60). So we're now down to 36 months!

Things continue to roll along. DH pulled the trigger on the next set of SEP-IRA conversion dollars - another $20k to the Roth account this year. As of 9-1-22, he has about 50% of his stache in Roth, and 50% still in the SEP-IRA.  In 2023, we'll convert another 50%, and 2024, whatever remains, so he'll have no more IRA.

My mom is starting to experience cognitive decline - so that makes 2/3 of our parents. Totally sucky. My sister and I are triaging credit cards being misplaced (about every 3 months or so) and the latest one is mom's phone. Ugh.

We still have ~ 6 years of cash & TIPS in the accounts, so we can still plan on the 2025 cohort. We're down to only $8k in cash, since we did buy some stock on the dip in May. I might re-deploy that cash, given the current sale prices.

Now that I have a full "high three" in my salary (from a pay bump in 2019), I re-ran retirement scenarios. The high three numbers mean I can actually retire at age 59 if I wanted, and still have the same silly income. But waiting until age 60 gives me an additional $1300 per MONTH in the pension, and that's more than I was planning for BIG TRIP expenses annually in retirement.

So yeah - it confirmed that age 60 is optimal. If I can last that long, more power to me. But I don't need to lose any sleep if I need to step back at age 59, due to parental needs or perhaps my own health issues.

Planning on our 25th wedding anniversary trip; trip paid for, hotels and rental car paid for as well. It should be lovely.

Work is decent. The new-ish boss still seems happy enough, so I'm going to stop fretting, and start taking some of my accrued VL, as I am back up at the max again. So I plan to have 3 days off this month, and need at least one off next month.

Pets are fine, house is fine, car is fine. We've got SO MUCH to be thankful for, it really is crazy.

SotI

• Bristles
« Reply #545 on: September 17, 2022, 03:27:38 PM »

Pets are fine, house is fine, car is fine. We've got SO MUCH to be thankful for, it really is crazy.

I totally hear you. I feel the same. Around us, the world as we knew it seems to crumble but we are - so far - only marginally affected. Totally grateful.
Retirement date (ceteris paribus): 1.12.2025

ardrum

• Stubble
« Reply #546 on: September 21, 2022, 06:25:23 PM »

This is the second delay of the year. Next is 2026 cohort?

Let's hope not! 

bananas

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #547 on: October 30, 2022, 06:41:51 PM »
Howdy! Just made a shiny new account today, and I wanted to go ahead and join this cohort. Until the market wet the bed this year, I'd been thinking I'd be done by 2024, but 2025 seems like the safer bet now. (And hopefully that won't end up getting bumped to 2026, but who knows.)

Looks like excellent company here. Looking forward to linking arms and taking the plunge with you fine folks.

Cheers.

oneday

• CMTO 2023 Attendees
  • Walrus Stache
  • only good pies and no bad pies -mspym
« Reply #548 on: October 30, 2022, 07:06:04 PM »
Welcome @bananas ! 2025 is only 2 years, 2 months & 2 days from now (Jan 1) or 3 years & 2 months (Dec 31). However, there's lots of time for the market to do any number of things in that time. 🤞 that it's all to our benefit 😊

frugalecon

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #549 on: October 30, 2022, 07:16:14 PM »
My retirement calculator spreadsheet tells me that I have 500 actual work days (i.e., days I will work, not including vacation or holidays) left until I can pull the plug. 100 weeks. That actually sounds doable.